New UU List (October 2009)

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
UU undergoes a major overhaul. Not only Alakazam, Rhyperior and Umbreon enter the UU list due to having fallen from OU and Roserade leaves the list to go to OU (see the new OU list thread), but certain Pokemon go down from UU to NU and others graduate from NU to UU!

Without further ado, say goodbye to:

Charizard, Magmortar, Nidoqueen and Porygon2!

And please welcome:

Aggron, Drifblim, Gardevoir and Magneton!

The overall effect is that the UU list increases by 2 Pokemon, becoming a list of 55 Pokemon in total, which are:

Code:
Absol
[I]Aggron[/I]
[B]Alakazam[/B]
Altaria
Ambipom
Arcanine
Azumarill
Blastoise
Blaziken
Chansey
Claydol
Clefable
Donphan
Drapion
[I]Drifblim[/I]
Dugtrio
Electrode
Espeon
Feraligatr
[I]Gardevoir[/I]
Hariyama
Hitmonlee
Hitmontop
Honchkrow
Houndoom
Kabutops
Lanturn
Ludicolo
[I]Magneton[/I]
Mesprit
Milotic
Miltank
Mismagius
Moltres
Nidoking
Omastar
Regirock
Registeel
[B]Rhyperior[/B]
Rotom
Sceptile
Scyther
Slowbro
Spiritomb
Steelix
Swellow
Tangrowth
Torterra
Toxicroak
Typhlosion
[B]Umbreon[/B]
Uxie
Venusaur
Weezing
Yanmega
(Pokemon in bold enter UU by falling from OU, Pokemon in italics enter UU by climbing from NU.)

I think I won't be making too bold an assumption if I say that the UU metagame will change drastically! :)

Aggron in UU already, wow. Gardevoir didn't last long in NU. Sad to see Drifblim go from NU aswell, the CMChesto set worked wonders in that tier.

Aggron in UU already, wow. Gardevoir didn't last long in NU. Sad to see Drifblim go from NU aswell, the CMChesto set worked wonders in that tier.
absolutely agreed. =/

but it does quite well in UU as well, so it just means i need to find a new favorite ghost for NU. xD

Wow, this is going to change the UU metagame completely. Alakazam and Rhyperior will rule the UU tier from this moment on I think. Never thought it would ever happen

RIP Roserade. You did good ;.;
Here's me thinking UU would still need a Milotic, Regirock, and now Rhyperior check.

Rather liked using leadblim in NU, so i'll be sad to see that go too.

Alakazam is basically creating a necessity for Absol / Honchkrow in every team now, which sorta sucks.

Well I guess the whole 'OU or NU' P2 thing has been resolved...
I used DownloadGon in UU, and it worked wonders, so it's not as if 'he's not good because there's nothing to Trace down there.'
'RosaLead' is going to be good in OU; it owns Swampy and Smeargle, and is one of the few leads who can beat OccaGross.
Rhyperior isn't going to be as broken as some people say; Rhydon isn't TOO different, and Milotic can be EV'd to outspeed and KO it.

I am really happy for Alakazam > UU. Finally our favourite Psychic ever will become a threatening force, and I can see this thing being overwhelming. Absol / Honchkrow Sucker Punch? Well, learn from Little Cup and just use Substitute. A simple SubCM set would work quite well with Psychic to hit darn near everything and Focus Blast for Chansey, Registeel, Absol etc.

Does suffer from coverage issues though :/

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
From what I understand from X-Act's tutorial of the tiering formula, Kangaskhan isn't UU because the performance in September is weighed the heaviest out of the three months. It really sucked in the September stats, and unfortunately, the August and July stats, the ones it did good in, were the ones that weren't weighted very heavily. Therefore, from that formula, we can see that the CB Kangaskhan thing was probably just a fad that wasn't enough to secure it a spot in UU.

Well now I got to change my UU team(s)!

Interesting to see Porygon2 leave, it worked very, very well in OU as Mence/Gyara counter.

Interesting, really interesting ;). Theorymon time :D.

Wow, this is going to change the UU metagame completely. Alakazam and Rhyperior will rule the UU tier from this moment on I think. Never thought it would ever happen
Let's start with Rhyperior. Rhyperior will be powerfull, but nothing game breaking. Rhyperior was used in old BL (yeah, some people liked to play it like me or Age of Kings :D) and it was proved as nothing game-breaking and still checked with good effect. And you don't need to use Scarfer or CB Azumarill to beat it 1on1.

CB Rhyperior can't OHKO for example Milotic and even with max speed he can't outspeed Max Def/Max HP versions dealing maximum 73-74% damage and I don't need to say that Surf easily OHKO back, especially when Sandstorm in UU is rare (Hippotas ? Not many people love to start battle 5 against 6). The same looks for Rock Polish. Rhyperior without crit can't beat Milotic anytime soon. I may call it almost-perfect counter. Or at least really good check.

Another good check is Tangrowth, which needs only to watch out on CB Megahorn, which 2OHKOes. Against Rock Polish versions it wins, as it can take one Megahorn and OHKO back with grass attack. Situations is really similar with Donphan (which only fears Aqua Tail) and Torterra (Torterra handles Rock Polish versions, only needs to watch out on CB Megahorn). Heck, even Claydol is solid check, but needs to watch out on Megahorn and with Max HP/Max Def it can handle one hit from Rock Polish Rhyperior. Poliwrath and Quagsire may also work most of times, only having some troubles with CB Earthquake, which is great set-up bait for all those flyers and levitators. Also Weezing is another reason, that Rhyperior won't have an easy life. Yeah, it's really good pokemon, but not much stronger then Rhydon, which was far from game breaking. Rhyperior has many checks and I didn't mention all of them.

Alakazam... another strong guy, but still without Substitute it has troubles with most priority attacks. Even if someone runs Substitute, Special Defensive Drapion/Skuntank, Spiritomb and Chansey handles it more then well enough. It has few less checks/counters then Rhyperior, but I can't see it being banned in future. Scarfers may easily abuse his horrible physical defence, with Drapion being best bet. But I think that UU Hyper Offense will love one set - Dual Screening lead with Encore, especially with Inner Focus to abuse. Yeah, I think I'll need to try Alakazam soon, as I think it's more dangerous opponent then Rhyperior.

Umbreon came back to tier, in which he works much better IMO. Also Umbreon has good enough bulk with some defensive investment to even handle Focus Blast from Alakazam and has reliable recovery in UU unlike Registeel.

I'm surprised that Nidoqueen quit UU - It's really good defensive pokemon, which has good typing and now with Roserade gone one of the best Toxic Spikers in UU tier. Heck, Super Fang is good bonus for her, as she doesn't have good attacking power. Rhyperior won't help her with being more popular, but I guess she'll be back sooner or later.

Aggron in UU - I'm really curious which stone behemoth will end up more popular - Aggron or Rhyperior, as they're used in really similar way. And Porygon2 in NU - good, at last some non-psychic Trick Room user, I wanted one to built NU Trick Room team ;).

Charizard and Magmortar - wow, even more attacking power in NU. It's kinda scary with all those attacking monsters.

I guess that's it - I like those changes and they will shake UU metagame a bit. But I need to say it again - nothing really game-breaking.

Porygon 2 is NU! A week ago I was predicting that it'd rise to OU! Maybe in January. :)

Rhyperior is nothing to panic about in all fairness. Back when Obi proposed that the tiers were merged, a few of us started playing 'new UU', back when Rhyperior (and things like Flygon also) were BL, and he wasn't very dominating.

Magneton will be a major loss to NU though!

I'm sad at the fact that Porygon2 moved down to NU. He can still counter Gyarados and Salamencer like no other. Easily outclasses Porygon-Z, but in my opinion, it is the "noob" factor that keeps great Pokemon out and rubbish Pokemon in.

I'm sad at the fact that Porygon2 moved down to NU. He can still counter Gyarados and Salamencer like no other. Easily outclasses Porygon-Z, but in my opinion, it is the "noob" factor that keeps great Pokemon out and rubbish Pokemon in.
Yeah, Porygon 2 has been hovering on that borderline between OU and UU for an eternity now. It'd be sort of cool if he did jump from NU all the way to OU in one go in January though. However, I'm sure Porygon 2 fans must be delighted that they get to use him in 3 tiers now!

Damn, never got a chance to use Drifblim in NU, and I always wanted to. Pory2 could be okay in NU, and I like Magmortar. I'll miss Magneton for sure. He was one of my favorites in NU.

UU looks really interesting now. Lot's of high power hitters going around.

I can see spiritomb making a bit of a jump as its a pretty safe switch into a choice set Alakazam as it can threaten a STAB sucker punch and pursuit while being immune to its STAB and focus blast that it so often carries(basically 3 moves the Alakazam has on a choice set results in a free ko) even the sub sets shouldn't beat a specially bulky spiritomb either. Pursuit has already become such an important move in UU and now that alakazam is coming I can only see it becoming that much more common.

WoW on the same spiritiomb can burn Rhyperior, but you are slower which is a disappointment as it would be a solid check to both of these threats otherwise...

I can see spiritomb making a bit of a jump as its a pretty safe switch into a choice set Alakazam as it can threaten a STAB sucker punch and pursuit while being immune to its STAB and focus blast that it so often carries(basically 3 moves the Alakazam has on a choice set results in a free ko) even the sub sets shouldn't beat a specially bulky spiritomb either. Pursuit has already become such an important move in UU and now that alakazam is coming I can only see it becoming that much more common.

WoW on the same spiritiomb can burn Rhyperior, but you are slower which is a disappointment as it would be a solid check to both of these threats otherwise...

I forgot about Spiritomb being a solid counter to Alakazam, and Rhyperior. A Restalk set with WoW and Sucker Punch could wall both of those effectivly.

Well, I'm really sad to see Roserade leave UU. :(

Alakazam and Rhyperior in UU should be interesting though!

I wonder who UU's new resident Spiker will be. Qwilfish, Cacturne, Cloyster, Glalie, and Omastar are the only ones left.

Also, can't wait for the new tier list to be implemented. This new meta looks very fun.

EDIT@Stormkid5: Nidoqueen is not a useable spiker, as she does not learn spikes. Which is kind of important.

I wonder who UU's new resident Spiker will be. Qwilfish, Cacturne, Cloyster, Glalie, and Omastar are the only ones left.

Also, can't wait for the new tier list to be implemented. This new meta looks very fun.
Nidoqueen may have left, doesn't mean she still can't be used.

i think Cloyster and Omastar are the only two that are bulky enough to be viable, though playing around with Qwilfish's resists could work as well.

i think i'm personally going to give Star a shot at replacing the Rose.

EDIT: she doesn't get Spikes Stormkid5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)