Next Best Thing: Summer Edition! (Open for comments)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
bounce 'n trounce (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 92 SpD / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This set is actually good on balanced teams that want to use both Gyarados' sweeping potentials but also use its bulk and typing to counter say Entei, which rarely predicts Stone Edge and often just goes for the burn. While this set cannot beat most of Gyarados' usual counters like Spiky Shield Chesnaught (unless you Intimidate and they do not have Leech Seed) and you lose coverage, in exchange you get to use your defenses more and can absorb status. The EVs are to outspeed Mega Aero after 2 boosts (I think) and base positive 100s after 1 boost. They rest of the EVs give bulk to avoid certain KOs that I forgot sorry...but they are flexible anyways.

Compared to Suicune this offers less bulk and a weakness to SR in exchange for a Fighting resistance. a Ground immunity and a potentially speedy sweeper. Perhaps even more important is the surprise factor - whittling and status does not really affect this set.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Power arkian wins this week!

I anticipate this going on for two more weeks, so a big thanks to those who have participated so far! Once this project ends, i will work very hard to get the rest of the trophies done

Anyways, next 'mon is Metagross

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 112 Atk / 176 SpA / 220 Spe
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot
- Explosion / Earthquake

Mixed Metagross is a really interesting set that deserves more attention. Between HP Fire and Grass Knot, Metagross is able to get past a lot of things that it usually wouldn't be able to so easily. Forretress and Escvalier are examples of things to hit with HP Fire, while Grass Knot lets Metagross break past the usual Bulky Waters that wall it, such as Swampert, Milotic, Alomomola, and Suicune. Of course, a good amount of Special Attack investment as well as a Life Orb is what makes this possible. We also have Explosion in the last slot to get some really heavy damage off on a threat, if not straight up take it out. While I personally think Explosion on Metagross could be really good, Earthquake is another alternative for people who rather keep their Metagross alive. 176 Speed and 176 Special Attack EVs with a Naive nature allow Metagross to outspeed Modest Nidoqueen, OHKO Regular Swampert after Rocks (Mega Swampert gets OHKOed from full), and 2HKO Suicune after Rocks and Leftovers. The remaining EVs are invested into Attack.

Last edited:
Metagross @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Power-Up Punch / Hone Claws / Hammer Arm / Earthquake

Magnet Rise is an interesting move that removes Metagross's glaring Ground weakness. This allows Metagross to fare much better against Grounds not named Krookodile, as well as attackers that carry Ground-type moves as coverage such as Aerodactyl and Shaymin. In addition, this newfound immunity can allow Metagross to use certain physical walls as set-up fodder. For example, Mega Aggron lacking Roar or Thunder Wave (admittedly, few can be classified as such) cannot touch Metagross after a Magnet Rise, allowing the latter to set up Attack boosts with PuP or Hone Claws. Defensive Mega Swampert also only deals about 30% with Scald, and a +1 Zen Headbutt cleanly 2HKOs after Power-Up Punch or Stealth Rock damage (burns notwithstanding). However, those looking for immediate power and coverage can still use Earthquake or Hammer Arm over those set-up moves and still have the potential of a Meteor Mash boost.

dingbat

snek
Manipulative wins this week!

This upcoming week will be the last week for this project, so this will be more open-ended. With that being said, I will post a few extra rules in my next post, because I'm a lazy bitch and won't edit this one.

dingbat

snek
HERE ARE THE RULES FOR THIS WEEK'S NOMINATIONS:
  • You may make UP TO TWO NOMINATIONS; you may combine the two nominations in one post, or you may have the two nominations in two separate posts.
  • You may choose ANY Pokemon that has NOT been featured in THIS edition of Next Best Thing. You may create a Suicune/Cobalion/whatever set, but you may not create an Aerodactyl/Celebi/whatever set.
  • The Pokemon that you choose MUST BE VIABLE; so no Flygon/Delphox/whatever nominations, please. Also, the sets you post MUST ALSO SERVE SOME PURPOSE AND NOT BE SEVERELY OUTPERFORMED BY OTHER POKEMON IN THIS TIER. This is rather subjective, but I do not want to see people clogging up nominations with dumb shit like Choice Scarf Noivern/Jolteon, Rapid Spin Cloyster, SpDef Doublade, or Specs Machamp (my favorite set tho), just to name a few.
  • The rules in the OP still apply.
With all that being said,
HAPPY SETPOSTING

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion

Reuniclus @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Trick
- Recover

Tricks sableye and stuff and can in general be used to spread burn by tricking back and forth.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Poison Jab
- Substitute

Sets up on cune and fairies and is p fast in general. HP prevents +2 scald from cune breaking sub

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leaf Storm
- U-Turn
- Healing Wish

Utility Celebi. Sets rocks, clicks U-Turn for ez momentum, and then commits sudoku on itself to heal a better teammate to full.

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Tailwind

Tailwind Bee is not a meme I promise. Like our two Prankster Tailwinds, it gives a really fast TW so when you expect to die you can just TW and wreck stuff for 3 turns. But even if you don't die, you can just U-Turn out and wreck stuff for 2 turns then TW again later.

Edit: So I checked and Celebi was already used in a prior week but I am keeping this set up cause why not

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Mixed Defiant Tornadus

Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 48 Atk / 212 SpA / 248 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Iron Tail
- Superpower
- Grass Knot / Knock Off

I think mixed Tornadus is a beast in general, and it's especially killer in this meta. Basically just enjoy the fact that you're almost impossible to switch into - Hurricane + Superpower/Iron Tail KOs every special wall in the game (Blissey, Umbreon, Sylveon, Empoleon, you name it). Hurricane does what Hurricane always does - if it hits it rips through teams, if it misses you can claim hax and ragequit. Iron Tail OHKOs offensive Sylveon with this spread, while Hurricane + Iron Tail always KOs Bold or Calm Sylveon if it tries to switch into you. Grass Knot gives you a reliable move for 'mons like Krook and Suicune and Pert, although Knock Off certainly isn't a bad choice since Hurricane hits like a truck against all of those anyhow, and Knock Off lets you screw with bulky Psychics that are basically your only safe switchins to this set. (I personally run this with GK, for the record).

Defiant isn't even strictly necessary, but is definitely cool on this set given the popularity of Krookodile in the current meta, and if you get cute and switch into a Defog then you're golden. Since you don't really want to sacrifice any coverage for a non-attacking move, it's strictly better than Prankster here.

Anyhow, just a cool wallbreaker that I like a lot (except when Hurricane and Iron Tail miss, at which point I decide I hate it and declare that I'm never going to use Tornadus again).

Lure Venomoth

Venomoth @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic
- Quiver Dance

I've been using this set a lot alongside Celebi, because I noticed that Celebi and Venomoth shared a lot of the same checks (in particular Crobat/Mega-Aerodactyl, but also specially defensive Steels/Fires). Basically, this set lures common checks to Celebi and tanks their hit with Focus Sash to sleep them or, in the case of Crobat, surprise them with a boosted Psychic. Focus Sash also gives Moth a number of setup opportunities that it otherwise wouldn't have, so it's not like this is only useful to lure in Crobat or whatever. One of my favorite teams this meta uses a combination of this and Pursuit M-Aero to completely demolish most teams' checks to Celebi, allowing for a clean sweep late-game. This set is so effective that it's actually become my favorite Venomoth set.

warzoid

I have several gelatinous friends
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Bulky Defog Moltres

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 8 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Defog

Beats a surprising number of hazard setters including defensive Pert, Mamo, and Cobalion (without Stone Edge). Spreading burns and always switching into specs Sylveon are also nice. The spread creeps Rotoms and Hera/Croak so you can hit them up with the Roost or Air Slash. 8 SpDef EVs live Timid scarf Chandelure's Shadow Ball after rocks for an emergency Defog.

Ring Target Sableye

Sableye @ Ring Target
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Trick
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover

Pair with banded Haxorus (DD works too). Trick the fairy switchin a Ring Target and proceed to spam Outrage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)