Project Next Best Thing: USUM UU (Week 45: Jellicent - Submissions)

JustoonSmitts

I draw stuff for a living
is a Top Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
20180610_212709.jpg

**artwork by me**

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z / Steelium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Magnet Rise

Don't let this set's appearance fool you. The key to this set is Magnet Rise, which allows Coballion to easily set up on Ground-types like Gliscor and Krookodile. I've used it before and have been pretty succesful with it. Magnet Rise also can support teammates that are Ground-weak like Magneton, Volcanion, or Klefki.

My favorite Sword of Justice! I remember when I caught him in BW2 and just spammed him throughout the rest of the journey. He just killed everything in its path and 1-0ed Neo Plasma.

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z/Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Substitute/Taunt
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

This set is a stallbreaker Cobalion. It’s very simple but can work well. The idea of this set is to get in and either sub up or taunt your opponent to lock out their Blissey or Alomomola or etc. Then you are free to Swords Dance in front of them without any problems. Close Combat and Iron Head are two very powerful stabs which will allow you to start breaking things on the field. Z Moves are here of course for extra stallbreaking power. Cobalion can punch holes even through mons like Tentacruel which should resist it but after an SD with Fightinium:

+2 252 Atk Cobalion All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 156 Def Tentacruel: 277-327 (76.3 - 90%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

This is some very powerful stuff. Here’s how Cobalion shapes up against other stall staples:

+2 252 Atk Cobalion All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 40 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 400-472 (83.1 - 98.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Cobalion Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 489-576 (131 - 154.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

+2 252 Atk Cobalion Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 336-396 (95.4 - 112.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
This is against Defog Gliscor.

However, this set still gets walled by Moltres so I’d use Rhyperior or Scarfed Nihi as a partner to stop Moltres. I hope you all enjoy the set! I just feel like Cobalion doesn’t have enough options for really gimmicky or cool sets.

Last edited:

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon

Cobalion doesn't have the brightest move pool so I tried to think of something fun. Cobalion has the necessary physical bulk to be rest talk cm so I tried it and late game with the right pokemon eliminated its quite fun. Enjoy!

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cobalion @ Fightinium Z / Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Taunt

Not only does Taunt allow Cobalion to shut down slower Pokemon by preventing them to heal up, it also guarantees Stealth Rock will stay against Defog users that usually beat Cobalion, such as Moltres and Mantine. This set works really well on hazard stacking offense teams.

1528729169093.png

Cobalion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Thank to his great speed tier of 108 speed cobalion can be use as an offensifs pivot with the choice scarf and volt switch. Been scarf and having a move for the momentum is great, except infernape and hydreigon there are 0 common scarf who can do that. I prefer a special version because focus blast can 2hko hippodown and make a lot of damage to swampert and hp ice 2hko gliscor, one time ground mon ko you can just spam volt switch.

Cobalion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Metal Burst
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

I normally don't like the play style, but this is a different take on a suicide lead for an HO team. Or if you really want to play the hazard removal game to protect the sash, you can slap this on a balance team. Really the set is based around the Sash+Metal Burst+Rocks combo. The last two moves could change to fit your needs. HP Fire/Ice, Focus Blast, Flash Cannon, Taunt, Toxic, Roar.

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Cobalion @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat

I ran this set on a couple of my HO teams. Typically, on a lot of HO archetypes, Cobalion likes to run either standard SD or double dance to exploit stuff like Choice-locked Scizor when it's paired with stuff like Calm Mind Latias. However, all I wanted this set to do was get up Stealth Rock and lure and really bring down Gliscor to support the rest of the team. At the same time, I needed the immediate damage; when it comes to Stealth Rock users for HO in this meta, you really need it to not give much leeway to your opponent, so I opted with LO over anything else, and setting up wasn't really feasible for the teams I wanted to fit it on. As far as calcs go, HP Ice can 2HKO SpDef Gliscor and Iron Head + HP Ice takes on other variants if it hard switches in. LO also gives the STAB moves some useful calcs, such as actually being able to KO offensive Mega Altaria after rocks, 2HKO Primarina. You get the idea. I'm not saying this is better than any of the standard sets, and Taunt is viable over HP Ice, but LO in general is handy if you're strapped for moveslots but need the power.

Fast Bulky Toxic support

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Sacred Sword
- Taunt
- Volt Switch

General idea
The general idea here to spam Toxic or a combination of Toxic + Taunt in order to wear down bulky checks or counters and start spamming the STAB Sacred Sword (really nice onto Steels, which are immune to Toxic) or just Volt Switching out.
In particular, Water-type pokemons (i.e. Slowbro, Jellicent, Suicune and Alomomola) suffer the combination of Toxic + Taunt (which neuters Recover)
I feel that Cobalion is underwhelming on the offensive side without boosts but the bulk is good and the Spe is really good for a Taunt user.

Team(mates) support
A way to get rid of Poison types like Tentacruel (immune to Toxic and resistant to Sacred Sword) is mandatory and, in general, this Cobalion works very well if some partners are left because it doesn't have much power behind its moves.

Last edited:

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Voting Time once again! Good activity this round. You may vote for two sets this round, due sunday.

Jolly Nature
- Swagger
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Psych Up

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Magnet Rise

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z/Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z / Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Taunt

Cobalion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Cobalion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Metal Burst
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Cobalion @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Sacred Sword
- Taunt
- Volt Switch

voting for patoche's Scarf Cobalion

Lot of interesting ideas this time, I'd vote for Crobalion but steel isn't that great offensively especially with 15 water types in uu :/
edit: didn't realize CM Fightinium Z was blacklisted

Last edited:

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations to Eyan and his Life Orb Cobalion for taking week 13!

For week 14, we'll be looking at our favorite poofball, Mega Altaria! Sets are due 6/22/18.

Blacklist:

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe (or anything reasonable, don't just tweak the spread)
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast / Heal Bell
- Defog / Fire Blast / Heal Bell
- Roost

Last edited:

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Full shoutout to the outspoken master of UU Euphonos

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Power Swap

Essentially this Malt set can unleash Draco Meteors and then get right back to +0 while crippling an opposing special attacker. This set is fun and it does actually work.

Alright M-Alt!

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Roost
- Defog/Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

This is a set for stall builds. Fairy/Dragon is a really neat defensive typing that can resist a variety of attacks including the many Water and Grass type moves. You have a lot of switchin opportunities on anything that isn’t a Scizor or M-Aggron. You also have Natural Cure before mega evolving in case you need to remove status. Mega Altaria can become a defensive god that doesn’t give a damn about physical hits while still having a lot of investment in SpDef. Cotton Guard lets you shrug off banded Scizor’s bullet punch and makes you a defensive monster.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. +3 252 HP / 0 Def Altaria-Mega: 120-144 (33.8 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Roost is of course the obvious healing move to boost your longetivity. The third option is optional depending on what support you need M-Alt to give on your stall team. Defog for hazard removal, or heal bell for cleric support, your choice. Defog off of it is nice since most defoggers don’t have good matchups against some of the sr setters while Mega Alt just Cotton Guards in front of them (or you get phases out). Finally, a pixilated boosted Hyper Voice is it’s final move to prevent it from being taunt fodder. This set does become set up fodder on Soundproof Kommo-o, so be cautious there. So if you need a mega evolution for your stall, Mega Altaria can be a reliable option. It can easily pp stall with Cotton Guard and Hyper Voice. It definitely has the tools to pull off stall. 75/110/105 are really good base stats for the archetype. Well hope you enjoy the set!

Mixed Mega Altaria
altaria-mega.gif

Ability: Natural Cure
Happiness: 0
EVs: 196 HP / 88 Atk / 40 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Frustration
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam/Earthquake
- Roost

This set may look weird on paper, but its very useful in practice. This is basically the special Mega Altaria set, but with Frustration over Hyper Voice. This allows it to check things like CM Latias better than the special set. Threatening Kommo-O Is huge, as you can't affect most variants with Hyper Voice, and Ice Beam won't OHKO. The 3rd moveslot varies: threatening Chandelure that usually sets up on the full special set, and threatening Tentacruel + Bronzong BOs that seem to be popular right now is nice, but Ice Beam of course hits the omnipresent Gliscor. If Gliscor does rise, then Earthquake would be preferred in this slot.

88- Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Frustration vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 306-360 (101.3 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
128+ SpA Pixilate Altaria-Mega Hyper Voice vs. +2 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 126-150 (41.7 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
88- Atk Altaria-Mega Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 168-198 (64.3 - 75.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
128+ SpA Pixilate Altaria-Mega Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Chandelure: 84-100 (32.1 - 38.3%) -- 97.6% chance to 3HKO
88- Atk Altaria-Mega Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 156 Def Tentacruel: 176-208 (48.4 - 57.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
40+ SpA Altaria-Mega Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong: 128-152 (37.8 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
40+ SpA Altaria-Mega Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 200+ SpD Gliscor: 292-348 (82.9 - 98.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
128+ SpA Altaria-Mega Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 168-198 (57.5 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Agility Mega Altaria

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe (at least 164 to outspeed Scarf Infernape at +2)
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake

General idea
One of the problem of Mega Altaria are those unfocused stats and that Spe, which leaves this Dragon prone to be easily revenge killed even after a +1. This leads me to think that Agility may fix this problem.
Here we have Mega Altaria with Agility, an underrated boosting move, which allows this cute Cotton Dragon to reach 284x2=568 points in Spe.
Mega Beedrill reaches 427 and Scarf Infernape 519, just for information ===> so 164 Spe EVs are enough to reach 260 points and 520 after an Agility boost and you can use 88 EVs whenever you want.
The coverage moves include a Normal move (that is boosted by Pixilate), a Fire move (Flamethrower) and Earthquake to deal properly with common checks (Poison and Steel types).
I opted for a movepool special oriented to avoid the detrimental effect of random WoW and Intimidate users all around.

The Dragon-type move is useless because it doesn't make sense if you can use a Fairy move, which has a wider range of target anyway.
Calcs:
252 SpA Altaria-Mega Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Beedrill-Mega: 210-248 (77.4 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Altaria-Mega Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Cobalion: 228-270 (70.5 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Pixilate Altaria-Mega Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Infernape: 208-246 (70.9 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Team(mates) support
Wish passing is very good considering the fact I had to drop Roost for coverage. SR Support is mandatory to achieve some OHKO such as towards Mega Beedrill.

Last edited:

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Spe / 76 SpD
Careful Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Facade / Return

SpDef King DDD is an underrated set, brushing off even SE hits after a Cotton Guard and acting as a reliable wincon once Scizor is out of the way. The EVs outspeed Timid Primarina before a DD and Timid Starmie after, with the rest dumped into SpDef for all-around bulk; Facade lets you abuse your Water and Fire resistances without fearing burns, but Return is an option if you'd prefer reliability or are pairing it with a cleric.

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Votin'

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Power Swap

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Roost
- Defog / Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

Happiness: 0
EVs: 196 HP / 88 Atk / 40 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Frustration
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam / Earthquake
- Roost

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Spe / 76 SpD
Careful Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Facade / Return

Get your votes in by Sunday, everyone! Please vote for one set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)