Metagame NFE Metagame

Sorry Gluke, Karma for killing off the people with byes; no sub 4 u.

Short Noms

Torracat B+ to B-
Outclassed alot. The only ups it has over monferno are intimidate and Flame Charge for SD sets, which still doesn't make it good.

Roselia S to A+
Really good pokemon but it had a major flaw. Some of the tiers biggest threats Pawniard, Haunter and sometimes Machoke; Punish it. It works well just doesnt feel S worthy.

Kadabra A+ to A
In the current meta you want other pokemon with servine and haunter imo, which was its biggest niche (Machoke Servine Haunter Rocker Generally Monferno/Gabite and then other mons to counter things. Kadabra still can work on these teams because it checks so much; I just feel theres better pokemon. Also with all the spd servines you cant even counter trade as easily. It has a lot of problems, but still can be good when played well.

Metagame Techs

Pup Grimer is super cool. U take minimal counter damage from kadabra and u 2HKO pawniard with the boost.

Grimer-Alola @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 200 HP / 60 Atk / 248 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Power-Up Punch
- Knock Off

60+ Atk Grimer-Alola Power-Up Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 104-124 (45 - 53.6%)
+1 60+ Atk Grimer-Alola Power-Up Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 156-184 (67.5 - 79.6%)

If you have rocks or spikes up and then they switch they will also be koed when they try to switch in again if they stay up.

You do lose out on clear smog utility though, which helps in Eevee MUs and sometimes vs Servine.

(Simbo made a case for fire blast. U can afford - SPE and it does around the same amount. It is slightly better vs Kadabra and much better vs Ferroseed, but can miss. Flamethrower does not do enough.)

0 SpA Grimer-Alola Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 106-126 (45.8 - 54.5%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO

I've been using hail a lot and at first I thought it was great, but now ive realized most of the time snover + Alolan Sandshrew is pretty meh. I believe that they should be C- but i have no real hard reason for that to happen. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nfe-991015404 this is a replay where sandshrew cleaned. Something Like pawniard is similar but better in most ways.

Imo Painsplit is the best haunter.

Haunter @ Poisonium Z Evio/ Colbur works if u already have a z user.
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This haunter can bring alolan grimer into Servine Leaf Storm Range. Vs non Grimer Teams it can come in on rose / mareanie and continue to destroy. Ive used this forever and believe that it is the better set. Also Z Fire/Normal Pain Split 1v1s Grimer bc of the +1 Defense Boost but is not worth it in most situations.

Also here is P1 putting in work https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nfe-1002800565
Note: I plan on nominating marill later for B. I dont actually believe it is the best pokemon, but i do believe it is underated. Marill Best NFE MON!!!

Last edited:
Sorry Gluke, Karma for killing off the people with byes; no sub 4 u.

Short Noms

Torracat B+ to B-
Outclassed alot. The only ups it has over monferno are intimidate and Flame Charge for SD sets, which still doesn't make it good.

Roselia S to A+
Really good pokemon but it had a major flaw. Some of the tiers biggest threats Pawniard, Haunter and sometimes Machoke; Punish it. It works well just doesnt feel S worthy.

Kadabra A+ to A
In the current meta you want other pokemon with servine and haunter imo, which was its biggest niche (Machoke Servine Haunter Rocker Generally Monferno/Gabite and then other mons to counter things. Kadabra still can work on these teams because it checks so much; I just feel theres better pokemon. Also with all the spd servines you cant even counter trade as easily. It has a lot of problems, but still can be good when played well.

Metagame Techs

Pup Grimer is super cool. U take minimal counter damage from kadabra and u 2HKO pawniard with the boost.

Grimer-Alola @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 200 HP / 60 Atk / 248 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Power-Up Punch
- Knock Off

60+ Atk Grimer-Alola Power-Up Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 104-124 (45 - 53.6%)
+1 60+ Atk Grimer-Alola Power-Up Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 156-184 (67.5 - 79.6%)

If you have rocks or spikes up and then they switch they will also be koed when they try to switch in again if they stay up.

You do lose out on clear smog utility though, which helps in Eevee MUs and sometimes vs Servine.

(Simbo made a case for fire blast. U can afford - SPE and it does around the same amount. It is slightly better vs Kadabra and much better vs Ferroseed, but can miss. Flamethrower does not do enough.)

0 SpA Grimer-Alola Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 106-126 (45.8 - 54.5%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO

I've been using hail a lot and at first I thought it was great, but now ive realized most of the time snover + Alolan Sandshrew is pretty meh. I believe that they should be C- but i have no real hard reason for that to happen. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nfe-991015404 this is a replay where sandshrew cleaned. Something Like pawniard is similar but better in most ways.

Imo Painsplit is the best haunter.

Haunter @ Poisonium Z Evio/ Colbur works if u already have a z user.
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This haunter can bring alolan grimer into Servine Leaf Storm Range. Vs non Grimer Teams it can come in on rose / mareanie and continue to destroy. Ive used this forever and believe that it is the better set. Also Z Fire/Normal Pain Split 1v1s Grimer bc of the +1 Defense Boost but is not worth it in most situations.

Also here is P1 putting in work https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nfe-1002800565
Note: I plan on nominating marill later for B. I dont actually believe it is the best pokemon, but i do believe it is underated. Marill Best NFE MON!!!
i agree with :torracat: going down to b- cuz it generally is outclassed. the only reason i think it can be used is intimidate spam ig. imo if ur gonna use fire types use magmar lol
:roselia: is a good mon that doesn't need to drop. all it needs to win vs those matchups is machoke. machoke blankets on pawniard and haunter unless ur running dynamic punch or haunter has twinkle tackle. roselia does a lot of good things and stops threats like servine and that helps it a lot.
:kadabra: is fine where its at imo. although since kadabra is v frail you do have to play careful with it. it's always gotta be wary of scarf users like frog or monferno. although i think kadabra shouldn't rise because its just genrrally not good enough for it tbh

ban machoke

edit: OOps i double posted my bad please dont kill me mobile sucks

Last edited:
Approved by vooper
Welcome to the NFE sendoff tournament!
It's time to say goodbye to the current generation of pokemon, and say hello to the future of NFE! This tournament marks the transition to the next generation, marking the last SM tournament held before it becomes a past generation.

Tournament Rules:
Signups end next week (20/10/2019) at 1AM EST. Pairings will be posted that same day
In

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)