ORAS UU Nice Shorts Bro

Introduction

Hey guys, this is my first RMT for the UU tier. I started playing UU sometime during the summer because I had to learn it for the UU open. During that time, I just stole teams from the workshop in the forums and got pastes of omfuga teams and just practiced by playing vs competent uu players ranging from room auth to randoms on smogtours. Unfortunately, my open run was short-lived because I got haxed (boy was I salty) but decided to continue playing the tier. I've had so much fun with it and this tier is a well deserved break from ou. The uu room and community is pretty amazing and I find myself hanging out in there a lot. Anyway, onto the actual team. A friend asked me to build an HO team for the uu tier. I wasn't too familiar with ho so I asked the chat room and DMT responded with "froslass+luke+4 filler". So, following this formula, I came up with my team. My buddy peaked #6 with it on the ladder and here's the proof: http://imgur.com/EU2LIqv (he's Kev-san )

The Team at a Glance

Team Building Process

So I started with froslass as the suicide lead to get down spikes, possibly destiny bond something or icy wind something and paired it with luke since with an SD it can threaten offense and balance alike

I'm an OU player so whenever I build, threats that come to mind are offensive electrics so mamo seemed like an amazing rocker to me because it can take on bolt beam, threaten bee, mence, whimsi, etc with ice shard, and get down rocks

Next, I realized my team was pretty slow and wanted something that can abuse various mons being worn down by spikes+luke so I went with mega shark. He was a great addition as speed boost allows him to clean up many teams and a boosted crunch helps immensely vs bulky psychics like reuniclus.

Now, I desperately needed a ground immunity and wanted something to handle the rotom forms for mamo so I picked a nice mence (I changed sets but this will be explained later)

Finally, I needed some sort of water resist, a dragon check, and some speed so I added a whimsicott

An in-depth look

White Queen (Froslass) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Icy Wind
- Destiny Bond

Froslass is a pretty amazing lead due to its nice base speed of which allows it to get hazards up pretty easily bar faster leads like azelf. Taunt is useful for those annoying mons that try to set hazards and icy wind+destiny bond gives you some offensive presence. Furthermore, froslass is pretty funny vs those scrubs who play based on psychology as opposed to making the best play possible (taunt one turn to avoid destiny bond and attacking the next turn thinking you wont dbond again). All in all, I usually lead with this mon to get spikes up and immediately begin applying pressure to the opposing team. Only time I'll probably lead with something else is if the opp has an azelf or something so might lead whimsi bluffing encore or something idunno. I usually sack this after getting hazards but I'll save if it I feel like I can use it as a sack later on, spinblock, need taunt, or net some free icy wind damage.

Nice Shorts Bro (Lucario) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Luke is sooo nice for breaking down bulky teams with SD+close combat. It can force out tons of threats and just kill things. And at +2 espeed is able to clean up offensive threats as well. Earthquake was suggested by DMT to hit a variety of things like the nidos, tenta, doublade, dragalge. This guy is an integral member of the team as he is the premier wall breaker that paves the way for the rest of the mons. Jolly can be ran since entei is annoying to the team

Big Tusks (Mamoswine) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Mamo is very nice here since it helps a ton vs bee offense and is bulky enough to take neutral hits and hit back hard with an earthquake. Mamo is primarily here to set rocks and threaten most hazard removers (except forretress). The team as of now may look a little weak to forretress but its not that bad since it lacks recovery and I can beat it with repeated attacks. Shard is pretty much my dd mence answer but it also hits frail things like bee pretty hard. Knock off just helps vs random stuff by mitigating their recovery although I've considered changing this to freeze dry. Not sure to be honest. Suicune is pretty annoying.

Don Lino (Sharpedo-Mega) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

Shark is pretty awesome and very good at cleaning up teams. Protect is primarily there for the speed boost before I mega-evolve but it's also nice for scouting various moves and whatnot. Crunch is crunch and hits everything that doesn't resist it incredibly hard. Shark makes it so that I'm not 6-0d by something like reuniclus. Waterfall is the second stab move which hits for decent damage and allows me to kill stuff like darm, rotom-h, etc. I kinda feel like dropping this for hydro to hit coba harder but I'm not sure. Ice fang hits the big dragons of UU (mence, hydrei) and hits other targets like tangrowth for solid damage.

/User Mencemeat (Salamence) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Roost
- Iron Tail
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

The set used to be different. This was initially a mixed mence with life orb because I realized that wisp rotom-h was really annoying for the team and mixed mence is just pretty good in general. It can drop a draco and then eq the empoleon that switches in. However, dd mence is just so good in UU and I've found myself wishing I was dd in some games because it wouldve won/won some games faster and then teal recommended I use the dd set. With his suggestion, I made the change to a dd+3 attacks lum berry. Lum allows me to use various things as set up fodder such as rotom-h and arcanine. Outrage is the dragon stab that allows me to clean up nicely. Earthquake hits those steel types that like to switch in and iron tail removes those pesky fairies that wall mence. P2 is still annoying however.
Set changed from lum DD to Mixed LO

In the Field (Whimsicott) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- U-turn
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball

Whimsi is so nice here acting as a sort of glue for the team. I went with the specs set but I'm quite unsure about this since LO or even just lefties would be nice. Sometimes I find myself wishing I had encore/taunt or even the ability to switch up moves. However, the power that specs provides and the utility that switcheroo has is very very nice. Dual stabs are pretty self explanatory: moon blast hits everything that doesn't resist and giga helps pressure bulky waters. Memento is very clutch and allows luke/mence to set up on stuff and just kill more things.
Set changed from specs memento to pixie plate w/ encore

Conclusion

I've really enjoyed this team and a lot of my friends have as well. It's really a fun, mindless HO that grabs easy wins by overwhelming the opponent. Here are some nice replays of the team:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-275597088 Vs Daspoofy

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-282495693 Vs some sort of bee balance

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-282499109 Vs weird team without a fairy switch in

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-282503641 Vs Psychotic

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-283517270 Vs stall

Will add a threatlist and more replays soon

Shout outs

DMT for providing the initial idea and helping me out with the squad
Kev-san for peaking this cus I hate laddering
ed wins for being my favorite fgt
teal6 for being a great help
DeeJ for the nicknames
njnp cus I said I'd give you a shout out [:
Contorted Lies for being my second favorite fgt
slurmz and thecrystalonix for the sprites

and everyone in the uu room. You guys are great

Importable

White Queen (Froslass) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Icy Wind
- Destiny Bond

Nice Shorts Bro (Lucario) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Big Tusks (Mamoswine) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Don Lino (Sharpedo-Mega) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

/User Mencemeat (Salamence) @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Iron Tail
- Roost

In the Field (Whimsicott) @ Pixie Plate
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Moonblast
- Encore
- U-turn

Last edited:
AYEEEE!
Very nice team, fam. My one quarrel with the team is that you have literally nothing for Coballion. Once Mence is weathered, your answer to Coballion is basically sacking three mons as it sets up a Sub as shark Protects.

I can't really see a quick fix without changing the integrity of the team, but that's probably because we're both garbage at this game.

While the change is mediocre at best and really only shows how bad I am at this and this tier, I suggest running SD Coballion > Lucario. This lets you speed tie at worst against opposing Coballions and offers a nice check to Hydreigon and Mega-Aero, both of which your team does not enjoy.

The struggle is real rn, so I can't post a set with a pretty GIF because it's too much effort on mobile.

Also: asserting my dominance by by re- emphasizing to Contorted Lies that I'm fgt #1in your book [:

Awesome team fam, love how threatening it is. I don't play UU often so I can't suggest much except to change salamences nature to jolly instead of hasty!

Congrats on the peak =]

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man nice and offensive team you got there.
Here are some of the changes:

Lucario should be Jolly Nature to outspeed Jolly Mamoswine, Jolly Feraligatr, Choice Specs Rotom-Heat as well as Adamant Entei. This gives you a better chance to sweep and not rely on Extremespeed as well, since after SD it's still really strong. Next up, since Froslass reduces the chance of hazards, running Focus Sash on Mamoswine is a wise idea, since it does heavy damage to Mega Swampert, stops Cobalion, as well as check Slurpuff, which is a once it sets up (Can switch into Outrage and Belly Drum). I don't know why you put Hasty Nature on Salamence, because Jolly is clearly better since you have no Special moves. Lastly, you can run Jolly Sharpedo, since after Mega Evolution it has a speed-tie with Mienshao, but it's an option.

Other than that, really solid team. Congrats on your peak!

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Nice and solid offensive team! I don't play or build offense, but I still want to rate it so here we go :)
  • I second Arifeen's change to Jolly > Adamant on Lucario to outspeed those threats as they otherwise pose a problem.
  • While I like the idea of Specs Whimsicott, I truly feel that Pivot Whimsicott is better for this team as it provides setup opportunities with Memento or Encore while also giving the team momentum via U-turn and still force mons out to rack up entry hazard damage.
Whimsicott @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe or 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Encore / Memento

• While not necessary, I feel like Fire Blast > Iron Tail would work on Salamence to lure Forretress as you have a ton of physical threats although only Lucario can really break past it.
Other than that, this looks like a solid team and congratulations to your buddy on the peak! :)

Solid spikestack HO. Only real suggestions are synergy based as you have no super awful crippling weaknesses.

Pixie plate whimsicott with like speed for cobal>spatk>dump spare into bulk seems strictly better thanspecs trick here (u-turn/encore/memento or taunt/moonblast) Taunt vs memento on this set is really a personal choice, taunt supports Mshark by protecting spikes while memento is by far the better mence/lucario option.

I feel like mence+shark+ SD luka has way too much overlap, you could pretty freely swap to a bulky DD+ roost mence and even run taunt on shark if you swapped over to timid nasty plot lucario. (vacuum wave/Nasty plot/Flash Cannon/Aurasphere or dark pulse).

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OK so looks like a pretty solid team. but there are a few things that could be optimized. Also, there are a lot of inconsistencies in replays, importable and the team on the post so idk what's up with that (mainly, possibly only, Salamence but still seriously I see this thing being mixed sometimes, have Lum Berry DD sometimes, and LO DD sometimes, which is it LOL). Anyhow, onto the rate:
  • I'd have mixed attacker Salamence > current set, as it allows you to have more special attacking presence, thus making it easier for you to break some things like Alomomola and Mega Aggron, which can be nuisances to the team considering it's only special attacker right now that isn't a suicide lead is Whimsicott.
  • I'd also have Pixie Plate Whimsicott > current set, as this gives you the ability to switch up moves while retaining the decent offensive presence. Specs Whimsicott could also prove detrimental should it be locked into an unfavorable move considering the nature of the team and I don't see Switcheroo coming into much play if you had, say, Encore.
  • Jolly > Adamant on Lucario and Mamoswine, as while you do lose some power, it allows you to tie or outspeed some threats to the team, such as Entei (Lucario only), Feraligatr and Chandelure, which are more important imo.
  • Another potential change could be Iron Tail > Earthquake on Lucario but it's more subjective than anything. It basically gives you a STAB boost so you hit stuff like Dragalge pretty hard still while you gain s/e coverage on Fairy-type Pokemon, which can be quite threatening imo.
Salamence @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Roost
- Iron Tail
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

OK so this set is basically trying to minimize the damage. Florges currently fucking has nothing that wants to switch into it and it can come in on a couple of your Pokemon so that's no bueno, leading me to putting Iron Tail on this set. Roost seems like a necessity since Salamence is the only thing that you'll want to send in on Entei or Fire-types in general so longevity helps. Fire Blast and Draco Meteor really help break down physical walls that stop Sharpedo and Lucario, which are the main benefactors from Spikes in my opinion.

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Timid Nature
- Encore
- U-turn
- Moonblast
- Memento / Energy Ball

OK so this set basically maintains your check to about most setup sweepers, and gives you U-turn, which would really help this team with pivoting. You can run Memento to make your setup easier but Energy Ball is a nice option to get damage on opposing Pokemon like Suicune, Alomomola and Mamoswine. Yache Berry is an option too should Mamoswine be a problem and you want to switch into Sharpedo and Feraligatr easier.

I just want to point out that CM Reuniclus and Suicune are quite massive threats to your team if you let your Froslass die early on, but luckily you have NV here who suggested changing your Whimsicott set to pivot Whimsicott, and I'd go with Encore > Memento on that set.

Hey everyone, thanks for the rates. I have hasty mence because it used to be a mixed LO mence and I forgot to change the nature haha.

AYEEEE!
Very nice team, fam. My one quarrel with the team is that you have literally nothing for Coballion. Once Mence is weathered, your answer to Coballion is basically sacking three mons as it sets up a Sub as shark Protects.

I can't really see a quick fix without changing the integrity of the team, but that's probably because we're both garbage at this game.

While the change is mediocre at best and really only shows how bad I am at this and this tier, I suggest running SD Coballion > Lucario. This lets you speed tie at worst against opposing Coballions and offers a nice check to Hydreigon and Mega-Aero, both of which your team does not enjoy.

The struggle is real rn, so I can't post a set with a pretty GIF because it's too much effort on mobile.

Also: asserting my dominance by by re- emphasizing to Contorted Lies that I'm fgt #1in your book [:
Hey buddy, thanks for the rate. SD coba is nice but it doesn't provide the power luke does. My aero/hydrei answer is ice shard mamo loool

Awesome team fam, love how threatening it is. I don't play UU often so I can't suggest much except to change salamences nature to jolly instead of hasty!

Congrats on the peak =]
Thanks a lot man [: Yeah I'll definitely fix the mence set!

Hey man nice and offensive team you got there.
Here are some of the changes:

Lucario should be Jolly Nature to outspeed Jolly Mamoswine, Jolly Feraligatr, Choice Specs Rotom-Heat as well as Adamant Entei. This gives you a better chance to sweep and not rely on Extremespeed as well, since after SD it's still really strong. Next up, since Froslass reduces the chance of hazards, running Focus Sash on Mamoswine is a wise idea, since it does heavy damage to Mega Swampert, stops Cobalion, as well as check Slurpuff, which is a once it sets up (Can switch into Outrage and Belly Drum). I don't know why you put Hasty Nature on Salamence, because Jolly is clearly better since you have no Special moves. Lastly, you can run Jolly Sharpedo, since after Mega Evolution it has a speed-tie with Mienshao, but it's an option.

Other than that, really solid team. Congrats on your peak!
Thanks Arifeen! Jolly luke is a great suggestion is adamant isn't necessary since luke hits hard enough with an SD up. Jolly definitely helps a lot with entei since mence is easily pressured by it. Will make this change. Yeah I mentioned above that the mence nature was a mistake :/

I'm not so sure about sash mamo but I will definitely try it out

Nice and solid offensive team! I don't play or build offense, but I still want to rate it so here we go :)
  • I second Arifeen's change to Jolly > Adamant on Lucario to outspeed those threats as they otherwise pose a problem.
  • While I like the idea of Specs Whimsicott, I truly feel that Pivot Whimsicott is better for this team as it provides setup opportunities with Memento or Encore while also giving the team momentum via U-turn and still force mons out to rack up entry hazard damage.
Whimsicott @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe or 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Encore / Memento

• While not necessary, I feel like Fire Blast > Iron Tail would work on Salamence to lure Forretress as you have a ton of physical threats although only Lucario can really break past it.
Other than that, this looks like a solid team and congratulations to your buddy on the peak! :)
Hey NV! Thanks for the kind words. I really like the idea of encore utility whimsi and will definitely try it out. That was the set originally but whimsi's weak spatk was a bit disappointing.

Solid spikestack HO. Only real suggestions are synergy based as you have no super awful crippling weaknesses.

Pixie plate whimsicott with like speed for cobal>spatk>dump spare into bulk seems strictly better thanspecs trick here (u-turn/encore/memento or taunt/moonblast) Taunt vs memento on this set is really a personal choice, taunt supports Mshark by protecting spikes while memento is by far the better mence/lucario option.

I feel like mence+shark+ SD luka has way too much overlap, you could pretty freely swap to a bulky DD+ roost mence and even run taunt on shark if you swapped over to timid nasty plot lucario. (vacuum wave/Nasty plot/Flash Cannon/Aurasphere or dark pulse).
Hey man, appreciate the rate. I kinda like the sd luke+shark overlap so I will instead try a mix mence one again.

OK so looks like a pretty solid team. but there are a few things that could be optimized. Also, there are a lot of inconsistencies in replays, importable and the team on the post so idk what's up with that (mainly, possibly only, Salamence but still seriously I see this thing being mixed sometimes, have Lum Berry DD sometimes, and LO DD sometimes, which is it LOL). Anyhow, onto the rate:
  • I'd have mixed attacker Salamence > current set, as it allows you to have more special attacking presence, thus making it easier for you to break some things like Alomomola and Mega Aggron, which can be nuisances to the team considering it's only special attacker right now that isn't a suicide lead is Whimsicott.
  • I'd also have Pixie Plate Whimsicott > current set, as this gives you the ability to switch up moves while retaining the decent offensive presence. Specs Whimsicott could also prove detrimental should it be locked into an unfavorable move considering the nature of the team and I don't see Switcheroo coming into much play if you had, say, Encore.
  • Jolly > Adamant on Lucario and Mamoswine, as while you do lose some power, it allows you to tie or outspeed some threats to the team, such as Entei (Lucario only), Feraligatr and Chandelure, which are more important imo.
  • Another potential change could be Iron Tail > Earthquake on Lucario but it's more subjective than anything. It basically gives you a STAB boost so you hit stuff like Dragalge pretty hard still while you gain s/e coverage on Fairy-type Pokemon, which can be quite threatening imo.
Salamence @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Roost
- Iron Tail
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

OK so this set is basically trying to minimize the damage. Florges currently fucking has nothing that wants to switch into it and it can come in on a couple of your Pokemon so that's no bueno, leading me to putting Iron Tail on this set. Roost seems like a necessity since Salamence is the only thing that you'll want to send in on Entei or Fire-types in general so longevity helps. Fire Blast and Draco Meteor really help break down physical walls that stop Sharpedo and Lucario, which are the main benefactors from Spikes in my opinion.

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Timid Nature
- Encore
- U-turn
- Moonblast
- Memento / Energy Ball

OK so this set basically maintains your check to about most setup sweepers, and gives you U-turn, which would really help this team with pivoting. You can run Memento to make your setup easier but Energy Ball is a nice option to get damage on opposing Pokemon like Suicune, Alomomola and Mamoswine. Yache Berry is an option too should Mamoswine be a problem and you want to switch into Sharpedo and Feraligatr easier.
Hey Kreme! Thanks for the in-depth. Lots of great suggestions there. I agree with the whimsi set as above posters have suggested and really like the idea of roost mence as it adds some longevity to the team. You're right about florges being really annoying so I will definitely try this out.

I really like earthquake on lucario atm since it really widens the targets luke hits as opposed to iron tail.

I just want to point out that CM Reuniclus and Suicune are quite massive threats to your team if you let your Froslass die early on, but luckily you have NV here who suggested changing your Whimsicott set to pivot Whimsicott, and I'd go with Encore > Memento on that set.
Tbh, I haven't struggled with reuni too much since shark and mamo can pressure it but it is definitely annoying. Suicune is a threat so I will change my whimsi set.

Sacri'

the end is here
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey, cool HO you have got there.

I agree with most of the changes suggested by the other guys but I have some changes of my own :

Bullet punch over Earthquake on Lucario sounds like a great option as it allows you to have an easier time versus Aero which basically dominates your team (+1 regular adamant sharpedo doesnt even outspeed jolly Aero).
Hidden Power [Fire] over U-turn even if that one forces you to lose a bit of momentum it's a really solid option for this team because it easily lures Foretress which is awesome to sweep with Sharpedo (w/ hp fire fory cant spin anymore too)

Good luck with your team.

Hey, cool HO you have got there.

I agree with most of the changes suggested by the other guys but I have some changes of my own :

Bullet punch over Earthquake on Lucario sounds like a great option as it allows you to have an easier time versus Aero which basically dominates your team (+1 regular adamant sharpedo doesnt even outspeed jolly Aero).
Hidden Power [Fire] over U-turn even if that one forces you to lose a bit of momentum it's a really solid option for this team because it easily lures Foretress which is awesome to sweep with Sharpedo (w/ hp fire fory cant spin anymore too)

Good luck with your team.
Hey! Thanks for the rate. I'm not too fond of bullet punch over earthquake but I will certainly try it out. Hp fire on whimsi is an interesting option and I like that helps keep my hazards up. Will try this as well.

Btw, off topic question, why does everyone say "congrats sacri" when someone wins a tour? Found that pretty weird haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)