Nidoking (Analysis)

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC Approval: Iconic, panamaxis, Delta 2777
GP Approval: cosmicexplorer (stamped by Zystral), NatGeo

Deck Knight's Analysis

[Overview]

<p>Nidoking has returned to wreak havoc in a new generation. Before it was a decent wallbreaker in the lower tiers. However in this generation Nidoking received a blessing with its Dream World ability, Sheer Force, which gives the equivalent of a Life Orb boost to moves with secondary effects. In addition, when such a move is used with Sheer Force, Life Orb damage is actually negated, meaning Nidoking hits like a truck and retains the freedom of attacking with whichever move it likes, at the cost of secondary effects. Nidoking takes great advantage of this, as it has a massive movepool of special attacks with secondary effects. In addition, the array of Fighting-type Pokemon this generation makes Nidoking's Poison typing an advantage, as it can take Fighting moves and hit back with a souped up STAB Earth Power. Its Poison / Ground typing is unique, in that it can come in on most status moves and entry hazards, taking little to no damage at all.</p>

<p>Hitting like a truck doesn't mean lasting like a truck though. Nidoking's defenses are average at best, and even though Sheer Force helps it utilize its decidedly average Attack and Special Attack, its Speed is still a detriment to its sweeping potential. Weaknesses to Water-, Ground-, and Psychic-type attacks do not help its case either. Regardless, Nidoking received an ability many Pokemon would drool over, and that may be enough for many trainers to once again fear the horned one.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Earth Power
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
item: Life Orb
ability: Sheer Force
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The Sheer Force and Life Orb boosts mean Nidoking will be punching plenty of holes with the given moveset. Earth Power is the STAB move of choice, providing good coverage against common foes such as Heatran and Terrakion. With Nidoking's massive movepool of special attacks to take advantage of Sheer Force and Life Orb boosts, Nidoking can attain near perfect neutral coverage with the remaining moveslots. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam form the infamous BoltBeam combo, hitting a great number of types for super effective damage. The final moveslot is reserved for a Fire-type attack, with the choice of Flamethrower or Fire Blast.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Sludge Wave is an option in the last slot, as it takes advantage of the Sheer Force boost. Shadow Ball does not provide much to this set, as apart from battering frail Ghost- and Psychic-types, it only reduces the great coverage the above moves provide. Either should only be considered if you have other ways of dealing with Steel-types. It should be noted that while Fire Blast is indeed more powerful than Flamethrower, it still only achieves a 2HKO on Bronzong, much like Flamethrower.</p>

<p>454 Special Attack is indeed impressive, but Eviolite Chansey and Blissey still laugh this off. Since Earth Power won't be causing the secondary effect of possibly lowering Special Defense, there isn't any way Nidoking will force them to switch out. As such, strong physical Fighting-types make great partners for Nidoking, namely Conkledurr. Since Nidoking is immune to Toxic and Thunder Wave, both Chansey and Blissey are less likely to use a either status move. However, if the opponent predicts Nidoking will switch out, Conkledurr can absorb the status and will scare both away immediately. Rotom-H also serves as a counter to Nidoking, since it is immune to Earth Power and resists the rest of its attacks. Water-types such as Swampert or Lanturn can shut down most Rotom-H sets. Baton Passing can also be of great service to Nidoking, as passing a few Speed or Special Attack boosts can open the way to a Nidoking sweep. That said, consider a Modest nature in such a case, as a Speed boost will make a Timid nature much less useful.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Earth Power
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Slap a Choice Scarf on the king and watch him perform a great job as a revenge killer. Essentially a slightly weaker but faster Heatran with a different typing, Nidoking has some advantages over it. For one, its Ground-typing means no Electric-type attacks will potentially neuter it with paralysis. Secondly, Earth Power has a STAB boost, and finally, Nidoking doesn't need to resort to Hidden Power to gain an additional coverage move. Nidoking fires off attacks from 349 Special Attack at a blistering 442 Speed, outspeeding everything up to positive natured base 150s. From there, go to town with Earth Power as STAB, Thunderbolt to battle Water-types, Ice Beam to pound Dragon- and Ground-type foes, and Fire Blast to combat Steel-types that are neutral or immune to Earth Power.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Much like the Special Attacker set, this set suffers from a four moveslot syndrome. Shadow Ball can reliably KO Choice Scarf Gengar on the switch, but again, the coverage of this set suffers if Shadow Ball is used. Eviolite Chansey and Blissey wall this set as well, which means physical Fighting-types, such as Conkledurr, are once again the way to go as partners. Since Nidoking is essentially a revenge killer, it's best to keep it alive as much as possible to get the jump on various foes, so Wish support can help tremendously. Teammates such as Chansey and Blissey can switch on various special attackers to absorb hits aimed at Nidoking and set up a Wish; meanwhile, Nidoking can come in on most Fighting-type attacks aimed at either. Entry hazards also help soften up foes for Nidoking, since this set won't be hitting as hard as the Special Attacker. Ferrothorn and Skarmory are best in this regard, with Ferrothorn taking Water-type attacks fantastically and Skarmory being immune to Ground-type attacks.</p>

[SET]
name: Mixed Claws
move 1: Hone Claws
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Blizzard
move 4: Thunder / Fire Blast
item: Life Orb
nature: Naive
evs: 40 Atk / 244 SpAtk / 224 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Nidoking finally received a boosting move in the form of Hone Claws, which raises Attack and Accuracy by one stage. However, there are very few physical moves which take advantage of the boost, which is why Earthquake is the STAB move of choice. Though it doesn't get boosted by Sheer Force, with the given EVs in Attack and a Life Orb, it deals 51.8% - 61.1% to 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Blissey, a surefire 2HKO with entry hazards.</p>

<p>Still, the accuracy boost shouldn't be overlooked. With a +1 Accuracy boost, Nidoking can make use of high power moves with poor accuracy. Blizzard and Thunder both get their Accuracy bumped up to roughly 91%, making them very attractive options over Ice Beam and Thunderbolt respectively. Fire Blast gets perfect accuracy with a Hone Claws boost, and allows Nidoking to roast Ferrothorn and Forretress.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As mentioned earlier, there are very few physical moves that get powered by Sheer Force. Of the most notable, Rock Slide can be used over Earthquake to reliably KO Rotom-H. However, this is a bad trade off since Nidoking won't have any STAB moves to take advantage of. Stone Edge suffers from the same fate, but in addition also doesn't gain a Sheer Force boost.</p>

<p>The EVs given ensure Nidoking outspeeds Jolly Gyarados, while providing enough power to 2HKO Blissey after a Hone Claws boost. The rest are put into Special Attack to power up Blizzard and Thunder. Though this Nidoking provides an effective way to deal with the pink blob, note that one moveslot must be given up for Hone Claws. Also, because Earthquake doesn't get boosted by Sheer Force, Nidoking will be affected by Life Orb recoil when it uses it. Depending on the move you choose in the last two slots, be sure to have Pokemon that can counter Nidoking's newfound checks or counters: Ferrothorn and Forretress if he lacks Fire Blast, Dragon- and Ground-types if he lacks Blizzard, and Water-types if it lacks Thunder. Wish support is also helpful if you would like to keep Nidoking around for constant uses of Earthquake.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Though Nidoking finally has a boosting move in Hone Claws, there are very few physical moves Nidoking can take advantage of with the boost of Sheer Force and +1 Attack. Sucker Punch is Nidoking's only form of priority but is useful to get the jump on faster Psychic- and Ghost- types. The elemental punches can be taught via 4th Gen move tutors and can work well with Hone Claws. However, using the elemental punches means you must use Poison Point or Rivalry, since 4th Generation Move Tutor moves are illegal with Sheer Force.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Very little can come in to stop Nidoking; Sheer Force and Life Orb ensure almost anything that switches in will be getting severely hurt. However, Rotom-H serves as the greatest counter, only fearing Nidoking if he carries a Rock-type attack or if the effects of Gravity are on the field. Eviolite Chansey and Blissey also serve as decent checks to Nidoking, save for the Mixed Claws set, which can 2HKO Blissey with Earthquake after the Attack boost.</p>

<p>The best way to beat Nidoking outside of Rotom-H is to prey on its low Speed. 295 is not blazing fast so the best way to deal with Nidoking is to revenge kill it. Choice Scarf Nidoking is weaker than Life Orb Nidoking, but it still packs a punch; still, the fastest Choice Scarf Nidoking will cap off at 442 Speed. Choice Scarf users faster than Base 85 Speed will be able to outrun it.</p>

Nidoking is kinda like Heatran in that it is powerful but rather slow. Why not try a scarf set?

[SET]
Name: Choice Scarf
Move 1: Earth Power
Move 2: Thunderbolt
Move 3: Ice Beam
Move 4: Fire Blast / Sludge Bomb
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Base 85 speed is decent after a boost, outspeeding +1 Dragonite, neutral Gyarados, +1 Blaziken, and +Speed base 130's among others.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alan: I've been thinking about support set. However, note that if it goes with Stealth Rock, no Sheer Force.

And "Hone Claws" seems like a typical name, which is why I went with "Sharp and Pointy," referencing the move, most of the attacks, and the boosts.

Nuke: why not Sludge Wave slashed over Sludge Bomb? But I think you've found the moveset I've been looking for in the Scarf set...

I think Nidoking is viable for a Anti-lead set so here is one
[SET]
~Toxic spikes/Stealth Rock
~Earth power
~taunt
~ice beam/Sludge Wave
Ability:Sheer Force
Items:Focus Sash
Evs:4hp/252atk/252spd

jrp

Banned deucer.
I think Nidoking is viable for a Anti-lead set so here is one
[SET]
~Toxic spikes/Stealth Rock
~Earth power
~taunt
~ice beam/Sludge Wave
Ability:Sheer Force
Items:Focus Sash
Evs:4hp/252atk/252spd
Meh, a anti-lead is somewhat outclassed by the plethora of other options available though. You didn't list a nature ether.

religiousjedi

Old man.
Nuke: Hmm...I still not really convinced of the viability of Scarf Nidoking. With Timid, it is a faster but weaker Scarf Timid Heatran, reaching only 349 SpA with the Sheer Force boost. If you've playtested it and seen it's viable though, I'd be happy to see some logs.

Timeneon: jonathanrp is right. Nidoking as anti-lead is somewhat outclassed. Besides, if you go Stealth Rock, you gotta go with Poison Point or Rivalry as your ability.

Timid should definitely be the first option on the first set. There are way too many things you have to outpace that you can't beat with Modest, like Heatran, Dragonite, Gyarados, etc. Also I don't think Slime Wave and Shadow Ball deserve slashes at all, especially when they're slashed with Fire Blast (Nattorei and Scizor are everywhere). Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Fire Blast / Earth Power should almost always be used on Nidoking, so just mention the other two moves in Additional Comments.

Nidoking also makes an amazing Baton Pass recipient, and that would probably be the only time I'd consider using it without a +Spe nature. Although its defenses are poor and it doesn't have all that many useful resistances, immunity to Sandstorm and no Life Orb recoil are amazing assets to have. You could probably just mention that the Special Attacker set works really well with a few Speed boosts from Ninjask, especially if you can come in on a Thunderbolt or Stone Edge. Mew works similarly, but it can also pass Nasty Plots.

QC Approved 1/2

To go even further with Iconic's Baton Pass mentions, Venomoth might deserve a mention for passing +1 SpA, SpD, and Spe. Mew, of course, would probably be preferred since it has access to Taunt, Nasty Plot, Roost, Baton Pass (obviously) and other moves that are more useful.

Are you sure its 454 on SpA on Timid? I got 431.95

I'm not sure if I'm doing to right procedure...I got 265 as max SpA on Timid so with sheer force and Life Orb... 265*1.63 = 431.95
Don't know if thats how you calculate de SpA with the Life Orb and SF boost

religiousjedi

Old man.
Are you sure its 454 on SpA on Timid? I got 431.95

I'm not sure if I'm doing to right procedure...I got 265 as max SpA on Timid so with sheer force and Life Orb... 265*1.63 = 431.95
Don't know if thats how you calculate de SpA with the Life Orb and SF boost
I calculated the boost this way:

Using 252 SpA EVs and Max IVs, Timid Nidoking has 269 SpA. From there...

269 * 1.3 (LO) * 1.3 (Sheer Force boost) = 454.61, which rounded down means 454 SpA.

Oh, I see, thanks.

I guess you could also bluff a choice item with LO, Sheer Force Nidoking, just keep using Earth POWA, and bam...Thunderbolt rival's Gyarados

Nidoking is one of very few Pokemon that resist the fighting/rock combination that many fighting types use for coverage. With no defensive investment at all, it isn't even 2HKOed by +1 Conkeldurr unless Conk has Payback.

religiousjedi

Old man.
Berry: do you suggest removing the suggestion from OO?

Black: intriguing...I'll have to run some damage calcs to see if it makes a good check to Conkledurr...

I do suggests that you remove the support set as even if it has some advantages and a wide array of support moves, Nidoqueen outclasses it in every defensive way.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I would definitely give Flamethrower a mention on the first set, as it'e more reliable and still packs a punch on stuff weak to Fire. The LO + SF boosts are enough to make Flamethrower viable.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Agreeing with DetroitLolcat, the only place that I can think of where fire blast > flamethrower may make a difference is vs bronzong. Give flamethrower a slash after fire blast. Otherwise everything looks great
QC Approved 2/2

religiousjedi

Old man.
Wouldn't it be Q/C approved 2/3?

Anyways, I went to do some damage calculations on Bronzong, and as it turns out, neither Flamethrower nor Fire Blast manages to do more than 2HKO. As you can see:

LO/Sheer Force Timid Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 92 SpD Sassy Bronzong: 56.8% - 67.5%
LO/Sheer Force Timid Fire Blast vs 252 HP / 92 SpD Sassy Bronzong: 72.2% - 85.2%
LO/Sheer Force Modest Flamethrower vs 252 HP / 92 SpD Sassy Bronzong: 63.3% - 74.6%
LO/Sheer Force Modest Fire Blast vs 252 HP / 92 SpD Sassy Bronzong: 79.3% - 93.5%

Further calculations showed only a Specs Modest Nidoking with Sheer Force has a chance to OHKO such a defensive Bronzong. Therfore...should I remove mention of Fire Blast in the first set? I decided to put Flamethrower as the primary choice first though...

Black: intriguing...I'll have to run some damage calcs to see if it makes a good check to Conkledurr...
I'm sitting here with a damage calculator and a piece of paper, and I have no other productive outlet for my time for the moment, so what the hell.

Payback-less Conkeldurr can beat a Timid LO special attacker Nidoking that switches into a Bulk Up, but usually loses. Modest makes it an almost sure win for Nidoking(!), as does residual damage on Conkeldurr. To beat Timid Nidoking, Conk would have to get significantly luckier on Drain Punch damage than Nidoking does on Earth Power damage.

I'm assuming Nidoking switches into Bulk Up, because that's the only interesting situation. If Nidoking switches into any other move, it takes 33% at most and is in an obviously advantageous position, as it can 2HKO and unboosted Payback-less Conk can't. Having used Bulk Up and faced with a special attacker (and assuming the Conk player doesn't just switch out), Conkeldurr's best play is to spam Drain Punch until it KOs Nidoking or gets Nidoking within Mach Punch KO range. As it turns out, two +1 Drain Punches will always either KO or put Nidoking in Mach Punch range, so Nidoking has two turns to do its job.

Nidoking has to do enough damage with two Earth Powers (or Sludge Waves or Sludge Bombs; nothing else hits hard enough) to eat through all of Conk's HP, one turn of Leftovers recovery, and the healing from a single Drain Punch. Timid max SpA LO Nidoking will usually do that, and using Sludge Wave makes it even more likely. Modest nearly guarantees it; Modest combined with Sludge Wave or any residual damage at all does guarantee it. (If Modest Nidoking using Earth Power/Sludge Bomb rolls minimum damage twice, Conkeldurr survives with 2 HP to get off its second Drain Punch followed by a Mach Punch for the KO.)

If Conk hasn't forgone Payback, it will hit Nidoking for 77.2% - 91.1%. This isn't the end of the world, but it does put Nidoking in KO range from a Mach Punch. In this case, Nidoking only gets off one attack, is KOed, and Conkeldurr comes out at +1 atk/+1 def and ~50-55% HP.

Even when Conkeldurr has Payback, special attacker Nidoking is always a decent check. Timid Nidoking does 57.7% - 68.5% with Earth Power, Modest does 63% - 74.3%, and Conkeldurr can neither prevent them from attacking with Mach Punch nor simply heal back all the damage with Drain Punch. Ghosts fit this specific niche more efficiently, of course, but Nidoking isn't Pursuit weak. (Useless factoid: Max atk Adamant Conk with a Life Orb and six Bulk Ups does 80.2% - 94.4% to Nidoking with Mach Punch.)

I am eyeballing the probabilities; I'm not good enough at statistics to be exact. If someone would like to piggyback on my work to get exact probabilities, by all means. Here's the raw numbers, using the special attacker Nidoking from this thread and the bulk up Conkeldurr (120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpD Adamant) from 3DOstrich's thread.

Timid Nidoking using Earth Power: 220 - 261
Modest Nidoking using Earth Power: 240 - 283

+1 Conkeldurr using Drain Punch: 131 - 155

Conkeldurr has 381 HP, and heals 23 HP from Leftovers and between 65 and 78 HP from Drain Punch after the first turn. The damage target to 2HKO Conkeldurr ranges from 469 - 482, depending on Drain Punch damage.

Bulk Up Conk isn't the only set, just the main one. Most other sets run 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Filler. Some useful damage benchmarks against this spread, with Nidoking using Earth Power:

252 SpA, neutral nature, neutral item (e.g. Scarf set): 49.3% - 58.2%
252 SpA, neutral nature, Life Orb: 64% - 75.6%
252 SpA, SpA-boosting nature, Life Orb: 69.8% - 82.6%

As for CB Conk, defensively-uninvested Nidoking can switch into CB Mach Punch (4HKO, nearly a 5HKO) or Stone Edge (3HKO), and 2HKO or force Conk out. Payback, Superpower, and Hammer Arm are 2HKOs; Nidoking can revenge kill Conk regardless of what it's locked into but not switch into these moves. If CB Conk is statused, Mach Punch is a 3HKO, Stone Edge is a 2HKO, Hammer Punch can but usually won't OHKO, and Superpower and Payback OHKO (but -1 Superpower won't).

As for subpuncher Conk, Nidoking can't do much but break the sub and get maimed by a Focus Punch. Modest special attacker Nidoking can beat Conk if Conk stays in, but this requires a maxed damage roll. (Since Focus Punch + Mach Punch won't KO Nidoking, Nidoking gets one attack against sub-less Conk, and it needs to deal 81.25% worth of Conk's HP in damage to prevent a Drain Punch followed by a Mach Punch.) Any other Nidoking can't do enough damage, Conkeldurr with EVs shifted from HP to SpD won't die before KOing Nidoking, and when Iron Fist Conkeldurr is released this matchup will be even more lopsided. Finally, even if the matchup somehow favors Nidoking, the Conk player can simply be satisfied with denting Nidoking for 60%-ish and switch after the sub is broken.

I haven't said much about physical sets, because they just aren't nearly as good against Conkeldurr. Max attack Adamant LO Nidoking using Poison Jab (its hardest-hitting attack against Conkeldurr) does 48.6% - 57.2% to the 252 HP spread; drop Jolly and you won't 2HKO sets with Leftovers, drop Life Orb and you won't 2HKO anything at all. Earthquake does a little less damage and inflicts LO recoil on Nidoking. This physical attacker could switch into an unboosted attack from Payback-less Bulk Up Conkeldurr and have the advantage (as it 2HKOs with Poison Jab or Earthquake as long as Conk doesn't already have any Bulk Ups already), but that would only work once if at all, because switching into a Bulk Up would only get it further set up upon.

The Hone Claws sets can't set up on Conkeldurr, nor will Conkeldurr have much occasion to come in on them. Amusingly enough, Bulk Up Conkeldurr with Payback can switch into the mixed set on its Hone Claws turn or come in after a KO, then set up on it and knock it out if it doesn't have a Life Orb. (BTW, I think the Hone Claws mixed set is kind of lame. Doubly so with a Balloon.)

I don't expect most of this math will make it into the analysis, but I hope it serves as some food for thought.

-edit- Bleh, insomnia, so some more thoughts, doubtless disorganized.

There are seven fully-evolved Pokemon that I can remember that resist fighting/rock: Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Claydol, Golurk, Gallade, Medicham, and Toxicroak. Of these, Nidoking is tied with Toxicroak for fastest and is the best all-round special attacker.

Modest LO Nidoking can survive any of Terrakion's unboosted attacks but Earthquake and OHKO with Earth Power (usually getting the OHKO even in a sandstorm), but this is of limited utility. For the boosting Terrakion set, Modest LO Nidoking can effectively switch into Rock Polish, since Balloon Terrakion sets 3HKO to Nidoking's 2HKO and LO Terrakion sets 2HKO to Nidoking's OHKO. Unfortunately, if Nidoking switches into an attack or into a Swords Dance, Terrakion has a major advantage. Nidoking can revenge the CB set from high health, but cannot ever switch into it, as all of its attacks 2HKO or better save X-Scissor. The only Terrakion set it can practically counter is the CS set, as long as Nidoking isn't switched into an Earthquake. For what it's worth, all standard Terrakion sets outspeed even CS Nidoking.

religiousjedi

Old man.
True, most of it won't make it, but if anything, it'll help up with the write up. Being a good check to Conkledurr is a blessing, since I couldn't see many Pokes surviving to face that thing head on.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Umm I'm rejecting both of the Hone Claws sets as there are simply better options available. Earthquake doesn't even get a Sheer Force boost which is really just a nail in the coffin, since there are so many better, more powerful physical sweepers (think Terakion and Garchomp). Put Hone Claws in Other Options.

EDIT: Well I've decided that I'm going to reject the all-physical Hone Claws set as it is outclassed by too much and doesn't even seem all too effective. However I think that the Mixed Hone Claws set is viable. This is what the set should look like.

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
EVs: 40 Atk / 244 SpAtk / 224 Spe
-Claw Sharpen
-Earthquake
-Blizzard
-Thunder / Fire Blast

(EVs outspeed Jolly Gyarados)

The Special LO Attacker set and the Choice Scarf set are both approved (as well as the one that I just posted).

QC Approved (3/3)

EDIT2: Make the sets go on this order: Special LO -> Choice Scarf -> Hone Claws

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)