Pokémon Nihilego

Status
Not open for further replies.
modest nature at +1 should kill many ground types as they are usually weak in the SpD department
*nods Though would you want to give up the speed from a Timid for that? I guess though if you want to have a all out attacking that could work. I myself am really liking the one I posted early as a lead, with 2 entry hazards, Clear Smog to do damage and stop set uppers, and Power gem. But your idea of Modest would work best with a HP Ice, though then Steels give you an issue.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Only thing I use venom drench on is Salazzle in double battles. Poison gas Venom drench combo hits both foes and everything in the game. truely not a fun time for them
Haze, Switching and more work against your strategy. Without trapping, it's useless. Even then, some pokes can STILL switch out with the right knowledge of the game. It just forces a switch, making the Toxic Counter reset and making your move meaningless.

Haze, Switching and more work against your strategy. Without trapping, it's useless. Even then, some pokes can STILL switch out with the right knowledge of the game. It just forces a switch, making the Toxic Counter reset and making your move meaningless.
Thats why I use Poison gas not toxic. No timer reseting, and it hits both foes in doubles, unlike toxic.

What do you mean guy? Rock/Poison is such a groovy type combo. Ya it gets some common weaknesses but it has a bunch of resistences. It also has some wicked stab coverage. Definitely the coolest ub.
i mean its stupid that they give some dumb plastic bag that looked like it got caught in the wind a rock poison type. if i predicted i would say it is a water/fairy maybe a ghost type or any of these combinations so a rock poison is a massive stretch

*nods Though would you want to give up the speed from a Timid for that? I guess though if you want to have a all out attacking that could work. I myself am really liking the one I posted early as a lead, with 2 entry hazards, Clear Smog to do damage and stop set uppers, and Power gem. But your idea of Modest would work best with a HP Ice, though then Steels give you an issue.
U could pack both hp ice and hp fire with my current set idea only have his power gem and sludge bomb locked in as essential for the set as they are good coverage for neutral damage

Modest should never under any circumstances be considered except maybe for the scarfed set, but even then you lose to scarf Lele and Lando. In general that speed tier is too valuable to give up. Even a primarily support set like dual screens should run max speed in addition to whatever HP investment you need.

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
U could pack both hp ice and hp fire with my current set idea only have his power gem and sludge bomb locked in as essential for the set as they are good coverage for neutral damage
You can't use hp ice and hp fire. Hidden power is dependent on ivs, so you can't have two different hp types. Sorry if that's not what you meant, but your post sounded like it said use hp ice and fire on the same set. You could run Psyshock or stealth rock over one of the hps on your set assuming its not choiced. Have a nice day

Modest should never under any circumstances be considered except maybe for the scarfed set, but even then you lose to scarf Lele and Lando. In general that speed tier is too valuable to give up. Even a primarily support set like dual screens should run max speed in addition to whatever HP investment you need.
IMO the only important speed tier you lose out on by running Modest is Garchomp while gaining a 10% boost to Special Attack. I'd agree Timid is still better but Modest isn't totally unusable. It has base 103 speed, what do you actually get beat by besides Garchomp that matters?

^actually some relevant threats, like max speed charizard (both megas), max speed genesect, mimikyu, tapu lele, zygarde (which is irrelevant due to typing but can do a lot with hp ice), porygon-z pre conversion and max speed landorus-t which honestly if youre facing a max speed lando-t its most likely scarf. the most important threats here are charizard x who can otherwise one shot nihilego with earthquake or dragon stab, charizard y who threatens nihilego by lure earthquake sets as well and tapu lele who crushes it with psychic stab and probs. zygarde & landorus-t, who nihilego can nail with hp ice. honestly the last two arent as important since modest outspeeds most sets, but outspeeding both charizards and tapu lele is really important IMO.

Nah, you also lose to things like Lando-T, Lele, Jirachi, Zard or Genesect, which you should be able to at least threaten with STABs / HP Fire.
Honestly, if only for Lele you should run Timid: it's a big threat and Nihilego is a decent offensive check. Giving it up for some power, unless you get some interesting KO, is not worth it.
And yeah, ninja'd :(

You can't use hp ice and hp fire. Hidden power is dependent on ivs, so you can't have two different hp types. Sorry if that's not what you meant, but your post sounded like it said use hp ice and fire on the same set. You could run Psyshock or stealth rock over one of the hps on your set assuming its not choiced. Have a nice day
Messed up meant what u said just need some more coverage with his lousy movepool

Looks like a good mon, bar the awful defense and defensive typing. I'm wondering whether or not a scarf set would be viable for a surprise factor because the speed on this, while good, is still not fantastic and could be quite useful with a scarf. possibly using a modest nature to hit harder, but I think a timid nature would still be best. possibly a set like this:

Choice Scarf
Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid/Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Power Gem
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt/HP Fire
- Sludge Wave

Beast Boost will boost it's sp. attack with this so it will definitely hit hard with a beast boost. Pretty standard EV spread with the 4 defense EVs (hopefully) giving it a little more protection from priority, but i don't think it would matter.

This thing gets pretty much stopped cold by Steel-types, tho. (specially the ones packing EQ)

Already saw on battlespot singles an Alolan Dugtrio beating Nihilego.

for what it's worth, bold or some other +def nature does barely anything to help nihilego survive because absolutely nothing will help it live supereffective/STAB physical attacks outside of shuca berry or something

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Nihilego: 900-1060 (213.2 - 251.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Nihilego: 595-704 (140.9 - 166.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Nihilego: 422-498 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO

the most it really does is stops a ohko from an unboosted garchomp outrage

252+ Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Nihilego: 390-460 (92.4 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Nihilego: 355-418 (84.1 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I think the best way to use Nihilego is to let him switch in on a special attack, unless it's a type it's weak to. With Rockium-Z and Sandstorm it'll get a handy Speed boost. Use sandstorm on a non-threatening Pokemon and start sweeping. It really appreciates Psychic Terrain support though, as it's weak to Bullet Punch and Aqua Jet, which both hit on its weaker Defense stat.

Nihilego @ Rockium Z
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sandstorm
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot / HP Ice

The given Speed EVs and nature lets it outspeed Pheromosa at +1 Speed. Power Gem & Sludge Wave are STAB moves. Grass Knot is used to hit Mudsdale and other heavy Ground-types while HP Ice is used to hit Garchomp and Landorus-T. Along with Tapu Lele, Intimidate Gyarados is also a great partner, as it Intimidates physical attackers and eats up the Ground, Steel and Water moves that Nihilego hates. Physically defensive Celesteela is another solid teammate.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That Z Sandstorm set sounds really cool actually. The nice thing is Nihilego also gets the benefit of increased SpD with the sand or, if cleaning up against bulkier teams, can opt to Continental Crush instead. I would rather use max Speed though with Hidden Power Ice as the final move option to ensure you're faster and can KO a Garchomp or Landorus-T. Hidden Power Fire is also a solid option since one of its problematic threats is Mega Scizor Bullet Punch.

Priority is definitely an issue, but perhaps with some support could clean up teams. I probably would rather use Choice Scarf or Specs, but the freedom of moves is great sometimes.

I'd like to share a set I've been using so far that has worked for me

Nihilego @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fire

This set basically works as a mid-game rock setter that heavily focuses on beating opposing hazard control Pokémon via STABs and coverage. Nihilego's typing is very odd but it gives him a way to dent a lot of common hazard removers. Thunderbolt is there as a tool to OHKO Pelipper, Mantine and 2HKO Skarmory on the switchin, while Hidden Power Fire is an excellent move able to lure in and KO stuff like Scizor, Excadrill while still hitting Skarmory.
This set pairs very well with Magnezone, that traps steels and/or kills threatening stuff with TBolt, and especially bulky Gyarados, which shares great type synergy with Nihilego and loves rocks up and bulky cores weakened.
I don't think that Nihilego is OU worthy tho, so I'm waiting for its drop in UU and have fun using Gyaralego in UU ^^

Just curious to know: is it worth potentially running Psychic as the 4th move on this mon for other Poison types (Specifically M-Venusaur and Toxapex that can eat your STABs for days), or is it better off going for greater coverage with T-Bolt (which also hits Toxapex Super effectively) or HP Ice?

How do you guys feel about this for a suicide lead?

Nihilego @ Light Clay/Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Reflect/Light Screen

Get rocks or a screen up on turn 1 depending on what you deem more necessary, then either stay in and use the one you didn't use last turn if you survive or switch out and bring it back in later. Light Clay is the better item pick here imo, as you can survive most physical hits with Reflect up, and you'll be fast enough to do it before you get hit. Focus Sash lets you get a 5-turn screen and rocks even against Landorus or something else that's gonna OHKO you, though, so it's a good insurance policy. He pairs well with Rotom-W, who soaks up Water/Steel moves and Levitates.

I really like this guy and I want him to work, but I don't know how realistic it is. Four really common weaknesses + paper thin Def is tough to manage. He's got potential as a Scarf cleaner too, but his coverage leaves something to be desired. Why no Earth Power ;-; it'd be so much better if it was Poison/Ground.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just curious to know: is it worth potentially running Psychic as the 4th move on this mon for other Poison types (Specifically M-Venusaur and Toxapex that can eat your STABs for days), or is it better off going for greater coverage with T-Bolt (which also hits Toxapex Super effectively) or HP Ice?
What's the third move? I would recommend both STABs + Thunderbolt/Thunder + HP Ice on most sets, though HP Fire is also an option. I find Stealth Rock sets to be not as good as Scarf.

Venusaur isn't such a big problem imo and Psychic is poor coverage against typical Nihilego switchins such as Steels, so yeah I'd run with Tbolt or HP Ice for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)