RU Ninetales

QC: Arikado, Eonx, Spirit
GP: Lemonade, The Dutch Plumberjack

[OVERVIEW]

Ninetales is a threatening wallbreaker thanks to its Drought ability and access to Nasty Plot. It also gets Solar beam to beat Water- and Rock-types and Psyshock for Kommo-o and Dragalge. Also, Drought combined with its good special bulk makes Ninetales more effective against Water-types than any of its competitors. However, while Ninetales has decent Speed, it still is vulnerable to faster attackers such as Aerodactyl and Choice Scarf Flygon, which can revenge kill it. Ninetales also faces stiff competition from similar attackers like Salazzle, which can also utilize Nasty Plot and has better Speed, better Special Attack, and a secondary type for coverage. With respect to weather setting, Torkoal is preferred for its access to Stealth Rock and Explosion and because it finds more opportunities to switch in than Ninetales.

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot Wallbreaker
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Solar Beam
move 4: Psyshock
item: Firium Z / Grassium Z
ability: Drought
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot boosts Ninetales's Special Attack enough to OHKO the vast majority of Pokemon. Fire Blast is Ninetales's main and most powerful attack. It alone is able to threaten a KO against anything that doesn't resist Fire. Solar Beam greatly complements this by giving Ninetales almost all the needed coverage to hit Rock- and Water-type Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Milotic, and Slowking. Lastly, Psyshock gives coverage against Kommo-o and Dragalge, both of which need prior damage before being 2HKOed.

Set Details
========

252 Special Attack and Speed EVs maximize Ninetales's damage output and speed. With a Timid nature, Ninetales can Speed tie with maximum Speed Shaymin and Mega Glalie. The remaining 4 EVs are put into Special Defense, Ninetales's higher defensive stat. Firium Z gives Ninetales the ability to break past defensive walls and open the way for a teammate to sweep. Notable KOs with Inferno Overdrive include Nidoqueen, Gardevoir, and Gligar after Stealth Rock damage and, if Ninetales is at +2, Kommo-o, Cresselia, Umbreon, Gluttony Snorlax, Reuniclus, Moltres, and Rotom-H. Grassium Z is another option, as it grants Ninetales the ability to break past Gigalith, Diancie, and Assault Vest Slowking with a +2 boosted Bloom Doom.

Usage Tips
========

Do not directly switch Ninetales into any neutral attacks, as that will hinder its ability to set up at a later point. Only attempt to set up against Pokemon that can't hurt Ninetales like Fairy-types such as Florges and Comfey and weaker Grass-types such as Chesnaught and Roserade. Ninetales can also use passive walls like Registeel and Umbreon as setup fodder, but watch out for status like Toxic or Thunder Wave. Before all this you need to make sure answers like Thick Fat Snorlax, Gigalith, and Goodra are removed before attempting to sweep. Also look for the possibility of Haze users, specifically Mantine, which could stop Ninetales in its tracks. Having your own Stealth Rock or Spikes on the field greatly improves Ninetales's ability to wallbreak. Finally, utilizing slow U-turn or Volt Switch users gives you more opportunities to safely come in and set up.

Team Options
========

Ninetales works best on offensive and balance-oriented teams that can provide additional offensive presence or momentum gain. Pokemon such as Rotom-H can use Volt Switch, Choice lock walls with Trick, or burn Ninetales's most prominent answers. Choice Scarf Flygon can be a worthy partner for its ability to beat Gigalith and Goodra, and Flygon also has access to U-turn to pivot out of its bulkier counters, which Ninetales can then use as setup fodder. Shaymin can also synergize greatly, as it's able to check Gigalith and Diancie whereas Ninetales can use most of Shaymin's walls in Registeel, Umbreon and Cresselia as setup fodder. Furthermore, a Choice Scarf set can provide much-appreciated Healing Wish support. Victreebel can also be considered for its ability to check Diancie and take advantage of Sun using its Chlorophyll ability. It should be noted, however, that Victreebel won't be able to reliably take advantage of this weather condition, so making those turns count is important. Complementary wallbreakers include Heracross and Gardevoir, which pressure any wall that could stop Ninetales. Additionally, Choice Scarf Gardevoir is capable of proving Healing Wish support. Rhyperior and Gigalith both provide Stealth Rock and also deal with faster attackers like Swellow and Aerodactyl. Lastly, having entry hazard removal makes it harder to whittle down Ninetales. Ideal users such as Gligar, Donphan, and Dhelmise can fulfill this need and beat Gigalith and Diancie, two common Stealth Rock users. In addition, Gligar provides slow U-turn support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Flame Charge could be used to increase Ninetales's Speed to become more threatening against offense, but this would be at the cost of Nasty Plot or Psyshock. Will-O-Wisp over Psyshock is another option, which can catch physical attackers, specifically Goodra and Gigalith. However, this makes Ninetales more vulnerable against Dragalge and Kommo-o. Life Orb can be utilized to increase instant damage without removing Ninetales's ability to set up but will at the same time wear Ninetales down, decreasing its ability to set up. A Heat Rock set can be used to support sun teams, but that would limit Ninetales's ability to wallbreak, and setting sun is overall done better by Torkoal. One may consider using Choice Specs, but it is compleatly inferior to Life Orb, as it removes Ninetales's ability to utilize Nasty Plot.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Special Tanks**: Pokemon with high Special Defense and a Fire resistance like Goodra and Thick Fat Snorlax take any of Ninetales's moves and can in return heavily damage or outright KO it. Mantine with Haze can also wall Ninetales by stalling out sun and preventing it from setting up. Without Haze, however, Mantine is setup fodder. Lastly, Assault Vest Slowking can check Ninetales using Future Sight and Scald but has to look out for Grassium Z variants.

**Faster Attackers**: Because of Ninetales's limited Speed, faster attackers such as Aerodactyl, Swellow, Noivern, and common Choice Scarf users such as Flygon can check or revenge kill it after Stealth Rock damage.

**Rock-types**: Specially defensive Diancie can take a +2 Solar Beam and retaliate with Diamond Storm. Gigalith is specifically worrisome, as it removes sun with Sand Stream and increases its own Special Defense simultaneously. Both of these still have to look out for a +2 Doom Bloom, however, as that will OHKO.

**Residual Damage and Status**: Stealth Rock, Spikes, paralysis, and even Toxic all can hinder Ninetales ability to set up and sweep. Because of this walls like Registeel and Cresselia become riskier to use as setup fodder.

Last edited:
maybe mention that while it's ability doesn't support it's team as much as torkoal does, it's very useful to deprive opposing rain and sand teams of their own weather, especially since ninetales outspeeds sand/slush rush and chloro mons naturally. bloom doom is also a really nice option for the politoed/gigalith switchins, and at +2 almost always picks up the ohko on assault vest slowking without rocks. i generally preferred it to firium z

I'm inclined to reject this solely on the fact that you can't even spell the Pokemon's name correctly, not to mention the numerous random spelling errors throughout the analysis. There's also some blatantly wrong information and certain sections like the Usage Tips are extremely bare. Mentioning physical Kommo-o as a teammate and saying things like "Firium Z gives a one-time 1HKO" shows very little metagame knowledge and indicates that you're not ready to write an analysis for RU at the moment.

I'm not going to reject this just yet because I feel the analysis can be improved to our standards without a complete rewrite and I like to give new writers a chance, but I'll let other QC members weigh in.

Fixed the issues mentioned above including the wording of multiple of my sentences on all of the sections.
I can not improve upon the remaining language mistakes myself so I am willing to let whomever step in to correct me on those.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok I just used Ninetales for a bit and it was insanely fun to use. Ninetales' niche isn't to set up weather for teammates at all, it's to utilize its own sun along w/ nasty plot to break walls, and boy does a +2 fire blast in the sun fucking STING. it OHKOs mantine at +4 with z-fire blast with just the tiniest of prior damage (sr in general or just 10% is enough). Psyshock + Solar Beam round up the coverage very nicely too, hitting Dragalge and Waters very decently. I don't think any bulky water in RU beats ninetales at all, they can't even switch in because Ninetales is so absurdly strong and can most likely KO all of them at +2 w/ Solar Beam and Fire Blast, while easily taking a scald or two from the more defensive waters, and taking a Scald (and Surf, even) from specs slowking quite comfortably as well. not to say specs slowking is good per se, but I'm just showing you that even the strongest scald in the tier (iirc anyway) isn't a counter to ninetales in the sun.

I think the Overview does a decent job realizing that, so that's a good start.

With Sun boosted Fire Blast and Solar Beam it 2HKO's many of the traditional fire type answers in the tier
This is redundant/useless information if you don't include examples. mention milotic/mantine and maybe diancie, but diancie lives a +2 solar beam anyway so it needs some prior damage.

While decent speed it still suffers from faster attackers who can check or revenge
Mention examples, most important being Flygon (speed tie, very annoying, scarf is common), Swellow (doesn't ohko without prior dmg/sr), zoroark (knock off doesnt ko cuz z-stone and dark pulse doesnt ohko w/ specs either cuz bulk), Aerodactyl are some good examples to put. dont put what i put in brackets in the overview though, those are just general notes for u & ppl reading

As for the set itself, I don't like LO slashed. Ninetales absolutely needs its bulk because it'll end up having to take a couple scalds and maybe something like earth power from shaymin or whatever and it needs to be able to take those. I would like it removed (add it to OO maybe, idont even like it in set details cuz ninetales needs z-move that much), and possibly mention Grassium Z there instead. I know you have it in OO but I feel like Grassium Z is more valuable cuz it helps ninetales break through Diancie & Gigalith which is huge:

+2 252 SpA Ninetales Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gigalith in Sand: 334-394 (89.3 - 105.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Diancie: 326-384 (107.2 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I would like the moves section expanded a bit. Like, mention how Psyshock doesn't exactly do too much to Kommo-o so it needs prior damage to KO. Fire Blast is gonna be your nuke so mention that, you're kinda underselling boosted Fire Blast in the sun. Mention examples for the Solar Beam targets and how they can be bopped by Z-Solar Beam (specifically just Diancie and Gigalith).

When you slash Grassium Z mention in set details how it's the more consistent way to take out diancie/gigalith while still being able to beat stuff like mantine and whatnot, just not as reliably (or at all if they pack haze...) as w/ Firium-Z.

In usage tips mention that Ninetales should try to dodge status like toxic & paralysis because those hinder its ability to wallbreak by so much so be careful when setting up on the likes of Registeel. Also, mention that to break past something like Mantine you need to set up multiple Nasty Plots cuz then this will happen:

+4 252 SpA Ninetales Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4+ SpD Mantine in Sun: 335-394 (89.5 - 105.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

this is all assuming one big thing though: that mantine doesn't have haze. if it has haze ninetales loses straight up so thats really bad. i want you to stress that in the overview and anywhere else you can

In team options mention scarf gardevoir w/ healing wish. it appreciates ninetales wallbreaking and can give it another chance w/ healing wish which is nice, also it can tbolt mantine possibly to ease the burden on ninetales so thats not bad either. mention mantine w/ toxic in team options, which can switch into opposing mantine and toxic them while having defog to clear hazards.

in c&c replace Paralysis with residual damage/status and add all of hazards, toxic, and paralysis.

Do all of that and tag me for a qc check. dont get discouraged by the long post, I think you did a pretty decent job and you show clear understanding of how to use the pokemon and its niche, its just ninetales is just a very weird pokemon in general. i'm still not /entirely/ convinced of its viability just because it loses to haze mantine which just really sucks and takes the main appeal away from ninetales :( its supposed to beat waters but it loses to the most common one in ru.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ninetales is powerful wallbreaker thanks to its Drought ability and access to Nasty Plot
Mention its access to good coverage too. Solar Beam and Psyshock help in breaking waters/rocks and kommo/dragalge respectively

Shaymin in team options, LO Shaymin can soften up ninetales good checks and vice versa, and so does leech seed set. scarf does the same as garde: healing wish and it likes having ninetales to fuck shit up

add mantine to special tanks but specify that it can only beat it with haze otherwise ninetales can boost to +4 and kill.

QC approved 1/3

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Generally looks fine. In Team Options, note Chlorophyll Venusaur as an option that can finish off a team that Ninetales has weakened. Maybe replace Scarf Flygon with something like Scarf Heracross, which has more raw power to clean up with. Staying in Team Options, note that Donphan can also remove hazards and beat Gigalith and Rhyperior rather reliably, but that it should only be considered over Gligar should you be supporting Ninetales with Spikes as well. These are all minor add-ons, so
QC Approved 2/3

Added most of the above except for specifically mentioning Choice Scarfed Heracross as a revenge killing partner and specifications of Gligar over Donphan in the case of spikes. Because I don't have specified partners to lay spikes.

I changed formatting from bullet point to full text for QC 2 -> 3.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I changed formatting from bullet point to full text for QC 2 -> 3.
You may have changed it to full text, but your Usage Tips and Team Options still has the bullet point after-paragraph alignment.

You should specify how Firium Z's power helps Ninetales specifically, such as how +2 Sun-boosted Inferno Overdrive actually OHKOes Kommo-o, something +2 Psyshock cannot accomplish. Other targets include OHKOing max HP Cresselia, Reuniclus, Umbreon, non-Thick Fat Snorlax, Moltres, and Rotom-H after +2, and OHKOing things like Nidoqueen, Gligar after Stealth Rock damage, Gardevoir, and Pangoro at +0, as well as just providing an accurate Fire-type nuke in general. You may also wish to add Assault Vest Slowking to Grassium Z's targets.

Edit: rhydonphilip I bolded a line above that you forgot to add to Firium Z's benefits.

Last edited:

phantom

Banned deucer.
just say it's a threatening wallbreaker. "insanely threatening" is pushing it since there are a number of things that can take it on

replace venusaur with victreebel as a partner because it's better since you just want something that has more fire power (weather ball > hp fire) given the limited turns, and victreebel takes advantage of that better than venusaur while still having respectable speed.

in the future, be sure to bump your thread when u finish writing your analysis.

this is pretty well done otherwise so qc 3/3 when you get the above

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1/2

Oxford commas, couple sentences with missing words or whatever, let me know if you have any questions.

Additions

Removals
Comments
[OVERVIEW]

Ninetales is a threatening wallbreaker thanks to its Drought ability and access to Nasty Plot. It also gets Solar Beam and Psyshock Psyshock, giving it a way of beating Water- and Rock-type as well as Kommo-o and Dragalge. (Comment: "as well as" generally makes what comes after less important (in this case Kommo-o and Drag). I don't think is the case, so I would suggest "It also gets Solar beam to beat Water- and Rock-types and Psyshock for Kommo-o and Dragalge." or something.) Also, Drought combined with its good special bulk makes it Ninetales more effective against Water-types then than any of its competitors. And while Ninetales has While decent speed Speed, it still suffers from faster attackers such as Aerodactyl and Choice Scarfed Scarf Flygon, Flygon who can check or revenge. revenge kill. It Ninetales also faces stiff competition from similar attackers like Salazzle Salazzle, who can also utilize Nasty Plot and but has better speed, special Special Attack, attack and a secondary type for coverage. With respect to weather setting, Torkal is preferred On top of this Torkoal is prefered as a weather setter for its access to Stealth Rock, Rock and Explosion Explosion, and having more switchin opportunities then Ninetales. (Comment: First, I changed the beginning because you're talking about two distinct parts of Ninetales from where there may be competition (so not really "On top of this"). Second, the original sounded like "for its access to having more switchin opportunities", which is off. )

[SET]
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Solar Beam
move 3: Psyshock
move 4: Nasty Plot

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fire Blast is your Ninetales's main and most powerful attack. It alone is able to threaten a KO against anything that doesn't resist fire. Fire. Solar Beam greatly complements this by giving it Ninetales almost all the needed coverage to hit Rock and Water Rock- and Water-type type pokemon Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Milotic Milotic, and Slowking. Psyshock gives coverage against Dragalge and Kommo-o. Kommo-o, both Both of which need prior damage before being 2HKOed. (Comment: The dragons are the ones being 2HKOed, they aren't 2HKOing anything. Also, in the overview you list Kommo-o first, so be consistent. ) able to pick up a 2HKO. Lastly Ninetales can use Nasty Plot to increase its special attack Special Attack enough to 1HKO OHKO the vast majority of pokemon. Pokemon.

Set Details
========

The 252 SpA / 252 Spe EV's optimizes 252 SpA and Spe EVs optimize Ninetales Ninetales's offenses to optimal damage output and speed. With a Timid nature you Ninetales can are able to speed tie with max speed Shaymin and Mega Glalie while outspeeding and outspeed anything below unboosted base 100 speed. Speed. (Comment: The last part is redundant because stats are listed on the Pokedex page, so consider removing that part. ) The remaining 4 SpD EVs are put in SpD to increase increases the likelihood of suviving hits from it's its setup opportunities. (Comment: does it actually? Maybe just "The remaining 4 EVs are put into SpD, Ninetales's higher defensive stat." ) Firium Z gives Ninetales the ability to break past defensive walls and open the way for a teammate to sweep. give opening for a sweep. Notable KO's (Comment: should whatever the Fire-type Z-Move be here? ) KOs include Nidoqueen, Gardevoir Gardevoir, and Gligar after Stealth Rock damage and and, if Ninetales is at +2, after a +2 you also 1HKO Kommo-o, Cresselia, Umbreon, Gluttony Snorlax, Reuniclus, Moltres Moltres, and Rotom-Heat. (Comment: Are these all with the Fire-type Z-Move? ) Grassium Z can be a prefered item is another option, (Comment: "can be preferred" doesn't make too much sense because if the item is preferred, you would chose it over the other. ) as it grants Ninetales the ability to break past Gigalith, Diancie Diancie, and Assault Vest Slowking with a +2 boosted Doom Bloom.

Usage Tips
========

Do not directly switch Ninetales into any neutral attacks as that will hinder its ability to setup at a later point. Only attempt to setup set up against Pokemon pokemon that can't hurt you Ninetales like Fairy-types such as Florges and Comfey or weaker Grass-types like such as Chesnaught and Roserade. Ninetales can also use passive walls like Registeel and Umbreon as setup fodder, Other passive walls like Registeel and Umbreon can also be used to setup on (Comment: I made the subject of the sentence Ninetales, since this is a Ninetales analysis. ) but watch out for status like Toxic or Thunder Wave. Before all this you need to make sure sun answeres answers (Comment: Since Ninetales isn't really used as a sun setter (based on the analysis), consider rewording ) like Thick Fat Snorlax, Gigalith Gigalith, and Goodra are removed before attempting to sweep. Also look for the possibility of Haze users, specifically Mantine who could stop you in your tracks. Having your own Stealth Rock or Spikes on the field greatly improves its Ninetales's ability to wallbreak. And finally, utilizing slow U-turn or Volt Switch users gives you more opportunities to safely come in and setup.

Team Options
========

Ninetales works best on offensive and balance oriented teams who can provide additional offensive pressence or slow momentum gain respectively. (Comment: what does slow momentum gain mean ) Pokemon such as Rotom-Heat can use Volt Switch, Choice lock walls with Trick, or Burn burn Ninetales Ninetales's most prominent answers. Choice Scarfed Scarf Flygon can be a worthy partner for its ability to beat Gigalith and Goodra Goodra, and Flygon also has access to U-turn to pivot out of its bulkier counters who Ninetales can then use as setup fodder. alongside having U-turn to pivot out of its bulkier counters who you can then utilize as setup fodder. Shaymin can also synergise greatly as both can whittle or threaten each other's answeres. (Comment: rewrite ) Furthermore a Choice Scarfed Scarf set can provide much appreciated Healing Wish support. Victreebel can also be considered for its ability to check Diancie while also taking and take advantage of Sun using its Chlorophyll ability. It should be noted however that Victreebel won't be able to reliably take advantage of this weather condition, so making those turns count is important. Notable Complementary (Comment: Ninetales is a wallbreaker, but it can't break through everything. Hence, complementary. ) wallbreakers include Heracross and Gardevoir Gardevoir, who pressure any wall that could stop Ninetales. Additionally Choice Scarfed Scarf Gardevoir is capable of proving Healing Wish support. Rhyperior and Gigalith both provide Stealth Rock while also dealing and also deal with faster attackers like Swellow and Aerodactyl. Lastly having hazard removal makes it harder to wither down Ninetales. Ideal users such as Gligar, Donphan Donphan, and Dhelmise can fulfill this need while simultaniously being able to and beat Gigalith and Diancie. Diancie, two common Stealth Rock users. (Comment: added a bit more emphasis while these removers are ideal. ) In addition Gligar provides slow U-turn support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Flame Charge could be used to increase Ninetales's Speed its speed tier to become more threatening against offense offense, but this would go be at the cost of having Nasty Plot or Psyshock. Will-O-Wisp is another option, which can catch physical attackers, One may consider using Will-O-Wisp to catch physical attackers, specifically Goodra and Gigalith Gigalith, instead of intrade having of Psyshock. However, this makes Ninetales But this would also make you more vulnerable against Dragalge and Kommo-o. Life Orb can be utilized to increase instant damage without removing its Ninetales's ability to setup but will at the same time wear wears it Ninetales down, discouraging decreasing its ability to setup. A Heat rock Rock set can be used to support sun teams but that would limit its Ninetales's ability to wallbreak and setting sun is overall done better by Torkoal. One may consider using Choice Specs but it is compleatly inferior to Life Orb as it removes your ability to utilize Nasty Plot.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Special Tanks**: Pokemon with high Special Defense and a Fire resistance like Goodra and Thick Fat Snorlax take any of Ninetales Ninetales's moves and can in return heavily damage or outright KO Ninetales. Mantine with Haze can also answere wall Ninetales by stalling out sun and preventing its ability to setup. Without Haze however, Mantine will become is setup fodder. Lastly Assault Vest Slowking can check Ninetales using Future Sight and Scald but has to look out for Grassium Z varients.

**Faster Attackers**: Because of its Ninetales's speed limitation limitation, faster attackers such as Aerodactyl, Swellow, Noivern Noivern, and common Choice Scarf users such as Flygon can check or revenge Ninetales after Stealth Rock damage.

**Rock Types**: Special Specially Defensive Diancie can take a +2 Solar Beam and retaliate with Diamond Storm. Gigalith is specifically worrisome as it removes sun with Sand Stream and increases its own Special Defense simultaneously. Both of these still have to look out for a +2 Doom Bloom as that will 1HKO. OHKO.

**Residual damage/Status**: damage / status**: Stealth Rock, Spikes, Paralysis paralysis, and even Toxic and even being Toxicated all can hinder Ninetales ability to setup and sweep. Because of this walls like Registeel and Cresselia become riskier to use as setup fodder.

Last edited:
1/2

Oxford commas, couple sentences with missing words or whatever, let me know if you have any questions.

Additions

Removals
Comments
[OVERVIEW]

Ninetales is a threatening wallbreaker thanks to its Drought ability and access to Nasty Plot. It also gets Solar Beam and Psyshock Psyshock, giving it a way of beating Water- and Rock-type as well as Kommo-o and Dragalge. (Comment: "as well as" generally makes what comes after less important (in this case Kommo-o and Drag). I don't think is the case, so I would suggest "It also gets Solar beam to beat Water- and Rock-types and Psyshock for Kommo-o and Dragalge." or something.) Also, Drought combined with its good special bulk makes it Ninetales more effective against Water-types then than any of its competitors. And while Ninetales has While decent speed Speed, it still suffers from faster attackers such as Aerodactyl and Choice Scarfed Scarf Flygon, Flygon who can check or revenge. revenge kill. It Ninetales also faces stiff competition from similar attackers like Salazzle Salazzle, who can also utilize Nasty Plot and but has better speed, special Special Attack, attack and a secondary type for coverage. With respect to weather setting, Torkal is preferred On top of this Torkoal is prefered as a weather setter for its access to Stealth Rock, Rock and Explosion Explosion, and having more switchin opportunities then Ninetales. (Comment: First, I changed the beginning because you're talking about two distinct parts of Ninetales from where there may be competition (so not really "On top of this"). Second, the original sounded like "for its access to having more switchin opportunities", which is off. )

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fire Blast is your Ninetales's main and most powerful attack. It alone is able to threaten a KO against anything that doesn't resist fire. Fire. Solar Beam greatly complements this by giving it Ninetales almost all the needed coverage to hit Rock and Water Rock- and Water-type type pokemon Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Milotic Milotic, and Slowking. Psyshock gives coverage against Dragalge and Kommo-o. Kommo-o, both Both of which need prior damage before being 2HKOed. (Comment: The dragons are the ones being 2HKOed, they aren't 2HKOing anything. Also, in the overview you list Kommo-o first, so be consistent. ) able to pick up a 2HKO. Lastly Ninetales can use Nasty Plot to increase its special attack Special Attack enough to 1HKO OHKO the vast majority of pokemon. Pokemon.

Set Details
========

The 252 SpA / 252 Spe EV's optimizes 252 SpA and Spe EVs optimize Ninetales Ninetales's offenses to optimal damage output and speed. With a Timid nature you Ninetales can are able to speed tie with max speed Shaymin and Mega Glalie while outspeeding and outspeed anything below unboosted base 100 speed. Speed. (Comment: The last part is redundant because stats are listed on the Pokedex page, so consider removing that part. ) The remaining 4 SpD EVs are put in SpD to increase increases the likelihood of suviving hits from it's its setup opportunities. (Comment: does it actually? Maybe just "The remaining 4 EVs are put into SpD, Ninetales's higher defensive stat." ) Firium Z gives Ninetales the ability to break past defensive walls and open the way for a teammate to sweep. give opening for a sweep. Notable KO's (Comment: should whatever the Fire-type Z-Move be here? ) KOs include Nidoqueen, Gardevoir Gardevoir, and Gligar after Stealth Rock damage and and, if Ninetales is at +2, after a +2 you also 1HKO Kommo-o, Cresselia, Umbreon, Gluttony Snorlax, Reuniclus, Moltres Moltres, and Rotom-Heat. (Comment: Are these all with the Fire-type Z-Move? ) Grassium Z can be a prefered item is another option, (Comment: "can be preferred" doesn't make too much sense because if the item is preferred, you would chose it over the other. ) as it grants Ninetales the ability to break past Gigalith, Diancie Diancie, and Assault Vest Slowking with a +2 boosted Doom Bloom.

Usage Tips
========

Do not directly switch Ninetales into any neutral attacks as that will hinder its ability to setup at a later point. Only attempt to setup set up against Pokemon pokemon that can't hurt you Ninetales like Fairy-types such as Florges and Comfey or weaker Grass-types like such as Chesnaught and Roserade. Ninetales can also use passive walls like Registeel and Umbreon as setup fodder, Other passive walls like Registeel and Umbreon can also be used to setup on (Comment: I made the subject of the sentence Ninetales, since this is a Ninetales analysis. ) but watch out for status like Toxic or Thunder Wave. Before all this you need to make sure sun answeres answers (Comment: Since Ninetales isn't really used as a sun setter (based on the analysis), consider rewording ) like Thick Fat Snorlax, Gigalith Gigalith, and Goodra are removed before attempting to sweep. Also look for the possibility of Haze users, specifically Mantine who could stop you in your tracks. Having your own Stealth Rock or Spikes on the field greatly improves its Ninetales's ability to wallbreak. And finally, utilizing slow U-turn or Volt Switch users gives you more opportunities to safely come in and setup.

Team Options
========

Ninetales works best on offensive and balance oriented teams who can provide additional offensive pressence or slow momentum gain respectively. (Comment: what does slow momentum gain mean ) Pokemon such as Rotom-Heat can use Volt Switch, Choice lock walls with Trick, or Burn burn Ninetales Ninetales's most prominent answers. Choice Scarfed Scarf Flygon can be a worthy partner for its ability to beat Gigalith and Goodra Goodra, and Flygon also has access to U-turn to pivot out of its bulkier counters who Ninetales can then use as setup fodder. alongside having U-turn to pivot out of its bulkier counters who you can then utilize as setup fodder. Shaymin can also synergise greatly as both can whittle or threaten each other's answeres. (Comment: rewrite ) Furthermore a Choice Scarfed Scarf set can provide much appreciated Healing Wish support. Victreebel can also be considered for its ability to check Diancie while also taking and take advantage of Sun using its Chlorophyll ability. It should be noted however that Victreebel won't be able to reliably take advantage of this weather condition, so making those turns count is important. Notable Complementary (Comment: Ninetales is a wallbreaker, but it can't break through everything. Hence, complementary. ) wallbreakers include Heracross and Gardevoir Gardevoir, who pressure any wall that could stop Ninetales. Additionally Choice Scarfed Scarf Gardevoir is capable of proving Healing Wish support. Rhyperior and Gigalith both provide Stealth Rock while also dealing and also deal with faster attackers like Swellow and Aerodactyl. Lastly having hazard removal makes it harder to wither down Ninetales. Ideal users such as Gligar, Donphan Donphan, and Dhelmise can fulfill this need while simultaniously being able to and beat Gigalith and Diancie. Diancie, two common Stealth Rock users. (Comment: added a bit more emphasis while these removers are ideal. ) In addition Gligar provides slow U-turn support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Flame Charge could be used to increase Ninetales's Speed its speed tier to become more threatening against offense offense, but this would go be at the cost of having Nasty Plot or Psyshock. Will-O-Wisp is another option, which can catch physical attackers, One may consider using Will-O-Wisp to catch physical attackers, specifically Goodra and Gigalith Gigalith, instead of intrade having of Psyshock. However, this makes Ninetales But this would also make you more vulnerable against Dragalge and Kommo-o. Life Orb can be utilized to increase instant damage without removing its Ninetales's ability to setup but will at the same time wear wears it Ninetales down, discouraging decreasing its ability to setup. A Heat rock Rock set can be used to support sun teams but that would limit its Ninetales's ability to wallbreak and setting sun is overall done better by Torkoal. One may consider using Choice Specs but it is compleatly inferior to Life Orb as it removes your ability to utilize Nasty Plot.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Special Tanks**: Pokemon with high Special Defense and a Fire resistance like Goodra and Thick Fat Snorlax take any of Ninetales Ninetales's moves and can in return heavily damage or outright KO Ninetales. Mantine with Haze can also answere wall Ninetales by stalling out sun and preventing its ability to setup. Without Haze however, Mantine will become is setup fodder. Lastly Assault Vest Slowking can check Ninetales using Future Sight and Scald but has to look out for Grassium Z varients.

**Faster Attackers**: Because of its Ninetales's speed limitation limitation, faster attackers such as Aerodactyl, Swellow, Noivern Noivern, and common Choice Scarf users such as Flygon can check or revenge Ninetales after Stealth Rock damage.

**Rock Types**: Special Specially Defensive Diancie can take a +2 Solar Beam and retaliate with Diamond Storm. Gigalith is specifically worrisome as it removes sun with Sand Stream and increases its own Special Defense simultaneously. Both of these still have to look out for a +2 Doom Bloom as that will 1HKO. OHKO.

**Residual damage/Status**: damage / status**: Stealth Rock, Spikes, Paralysis paralysis, and even Toxic and even being Toxicated all can hinder Ninetales ability to setup and sweep. Because of this walls like Registeel and Cresselia become riskier to use as setup fodder.
"Shaymin can also synergise greatly as both can whittle or threaten each other's answeres. (Comment: rewrite )"; This I rewrote to "Shaymin can also synergise greatly as its able to check Gigalith and Diancie whereas Ninetales can use most of Shaymin's walls in Registeel, Umbreon, and Cresselia as set up fodder."
I am having issues finding a compact way to explain Shaymin's Life Orb set appreciates having Umbreon and Cresselia removed, and lure them in for Ninetales to set up against. Outside of most important synergie from the ability to threaten Gigalith and Diancie.
Otherwise all adjustments and mentions have been made.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Ninetales is a threatening wallbreaker thanks to its Drought ability and access to Nasty Plot. It also gets Solar beam to beat Water- and Rock-types and Psyshock for Kommo-o and Dragalge. Also, Drought combined with its good special bulk makes Ninetales more effective against Water-types than any of its competitors. And However, (AC) while Ninetales has decent Speed, it still suffers from is vulnerable to faster attackers such as Aerodactyl and Choice Scarf Flygon, who which can revenge kill it. Ninetales also faces stiff competition from similar attackers like Salazzle, who which can also utilize Nasty Plot and has better Speed, better Special Attack, and a secondary type for coverage. With respect to (dedicated? just to make the distinction clearer) weather setting, Torkal is preferred for its access to Stealth Rock and Explosion (RC) and having more switchin because it finds more opportunities to switch in then than Ninetales.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Fire Blast is Ninetales's main and most powerful attack. It alone is able to threaten a KO against anything that doesn't resist Fire. Solar Beam greatly complements this by giving Ninetales almost all the needed coverage to hit Rock- and Water-type Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Milotic, and Slowking. Psyshock gives coverage against Kommo-o and Dragalge, both of which need prior damage before being 2HKOed. Lastly, (AC) Ninetales can use Nasty Plot to increase its Special Attack enough to OHKO the vast majority of Pokemon. (seems weird to list NP as the final move + describe it like a situational tool when the set is named "Nasty Plot Wallbreaker", prob just do "Wallbreaker"?)

Set Details
========

252 SpA and Spe Special Attack and Speed EVs optimize maximize Ninetales's damage output and speed. With a Timid nature, (AC) Ninetales can Speed tie with maximum Speed Shaymin and Mega Glalie. The remaining 4 EVs are put into SpD, Special Defense, Ninetales's higher defensive stat. Firium Z gives Ninetales the ability to break past defensive walls and open the way for a teammate to sweep. Notable KOs with Inferno Overdrive include Nidoqueen, Gardevoir, and Gligar after Stealth Rock damage and, if Ninetales is at +2, Kommo-o, Cresselia, Umbreon, Gluttony Snorlax, Reuniclus, Moltres, and Rotom-Heat. Grassium Z is another option, as it grants Ninetales the ability to break past Gigalith, Diancie, and Assault Vest Slowking with a +2 boosted Doom Bloom Bloom Doom.

Usage Tips
========

Do not directly switch Ninetales into any neutral attacks, (AC) as that will hinder its ability to setup set up at a later point. Only attempt to set up against Pokemon that can't hurt Ninetales like Fairy-types such as Florges and Comfey or and weaker Grass-types such as Chesnaught and Roserade. Ninetales can also use passive walls like Registeel and Umbreon as setup fodder, but watch out for status like Toxic or Thunder Wave. Before all this you need to make sure answers like Thick Fat Snorlax, Gigalith, and Goodra are removed before attempting to sweep. Also look for the possibility of Haze users, specifically Mantine, (AC) who which could stop you Ninetales in your its tracks. Having your own Stealth Rock or Spikes on the field greatly improves Ninetales's ability to wallbreak. And Finally, utilizing slow U-turn or Volt Switch users gives you more opportunities to safely come in and setup set up.

Team Options
========

Ninetales works best on offensive and balance-oriented (AH) teams who that can provide additional offensive pressence presence or momentum gain respectively. Pokemon such as Rotom-Heat can use Volt Switch, Choice lock walls with Trick, or burn Ninetales's most prominent answers. Choice Scarf Flygon can be a worthy partner for its ability to beat Gigalith and Goodra, and Flygon also has access to U-turn to pivot out of its bulkier counters, (AC) who which Ninetales can then use as setup fodder. Shaymin can also synergise synergize greatly, (AC) as its it's able to check Gigalith and Diancie whereas Ninetales can use most of Shaymin's walls in Registeel, Umbreon and Cresselia as set up setup fodder. Furthermore, (AC) a Choice Scarf set can provide much-appreciated (AH) Healing Wish support. Victreebel can also be considered for its ability to check Diancie and take advantage of Sun using its Chlorophyll ability. It should be noted, (AC) however, (AC) that Victreebel won't be able to reliably take advantage of this weather condition, so making those turns count is important. Complementary wallbreakers include Heracross and Gardevoir, who which pressure any wall that could stop Ninetales. Additionally, (AC) Choice Scarf Gardevoir is capable of proving Healing Wish support. Rhyperior and Gigalith both provide Stealth Rock and also deal with faster attackers like Swellow and Aerodactyl. Lastly, (AC) having entry hazard removal makes it harder to wither whittle down Ninetales. Ideal users such as Gligar, Donphan, and Dhelmise can fulfill this need and beat Gigalith and Diancie, two common Stealth Rock users. In addition, (AC) Gligar provides slow U-turn support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Flame Charge could be used to increase Ninetales's Speed to become more threatening against offense, but this would be at the cost of having Nasty Plot or Psyshock. Will-O-Wisp over Psyshock is another option, which can catch physical attackers, specifically Goodra and Gigalith, instead of having Psyshock. However, this makes Ninetales more vulnerable against Dragalge and Kommo-o. Life Orb can be utilized to increase instant damage without removing Ninetales's ability to setup set up but will at the same time wears wear Ninetales down, decreasing its ability to setupset up. A Heat Rock set can be used to support sun teams, (AC) but that would limit Ninetales's ability to wallbreak, (AC) and setting sun is overall done better by Torkoal. One may consider using Choice Specs, (AC) but it is compleatly inferior to Life Orb, (AC) as it removes your Ninetales's ability to utilize Nasty Plot.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Special Tanks**: Pokemon with high Special Defense and a Fire resistance like Goodra and Thick Fat Snorlax take any of Ninetales's moves and can in return heavily damage or outright KO Ninetales it. Mantine with Haze can also wall Ninetales by stalling out sun and preventing its ability to setup it from setting up. Without Haze, (AC) however, Mantine is setup fodder. Lastly, (AC) Assault Vest Slowking can check Ninetales using Future Sight and Scald but has to look out for Grassium Z varients variants.

**Faster Attackers**: Because of Ninetales's speed limitation limited Speed, faster attackers such as Aerodactyl, Swellow, Noivern, and common Choice Scarf users such as Flygon can check or revenge Ninetales kill it after Stealth Rock damage.

**Rock-types**: Specially defensive Diancie can take a +2 Solar Beam and retaliate with Diamond Storm. Gigalith is specifically worrisome, (AC) as it removes sun with Sand Stream and increases its own Special Defense simultaneously. Both of these still have to look out for a +2 Doom Bloom, (AC) however, (AC) as that will OHKO.

**Residual Damage and Status**: Stealth Rock, Spikes, paralysis, and even Toxic all can hinder Ninetales ability to setup set up and sweep. Because of this walls like Registeel and Cresselia become riskier to use as setup fodder.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)