Nintendo at E3 2021 discussion/salt thread

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

What can we look forward to for new reveals, if anything? How many people will be enraged by the next Smash DLC character? Will Metroid Prime 4 ever see the light of day? Discuss these pressing issues and other things as Nintendo's E3 showing comes and goes.

Ima be honest I'm not particularly hyped for anything right now. At this point I'm not really expecting anything as of now. I do admit that just like Bice I like people getting salty.

Last edited:

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
And am I the only one confused as to why there is still so much hype for Smash? I know I'm kinda burned by the Smash community right now given recent events, but let's think about this:

Can you actually name me all of the Smash DLC characters we've gotten? Remember that we got Sephiroth? How about Min-Min, remember her? I was in another server talking about this and I COMPLETELY forgot Pyra/Mythra was a character. Everyone was freaking out about Banjo-Kazooie and Steve getting revealed, but apparently they're mid-tiers that no one playing Smash actually gives a shit about anymore. Give Sm4sh some credit, the DLC at least had some memorable surprises and the ones that weren't still ended up being meta-defining. I don't really play Smash and don't really care to since Ultimate hasn't really sucked me back into the game and the online play is awful, so I'm going to be really upset if all Nintendo has for us are Smash reveals. The game's been out for like 2 and a half years anyways.

I personally don't really care about Metroid Prime 4 or BotW 2. I've heard rumors/speculation that the next Fire Emblem game is either gonna be a Genealogy remake or a Path of Radiance remake. I'd personally love a Genealogy remake since that's probably my favorite Fire Emblem game and one that could really benefit from a remake, and I'd love a Path of Radiance remake because I think the way it'll impact the second-hand game market is gonna be really funny.

I honestly don't care about what Nintendo is probably showing, so fuck it, here are all the ridiculous predictions I can come up with. GO BIG OR GO HOME

1623732923941.png

Albatross

Loosely Resembling Some Variety Of Bird
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributor
God I hope we see some bloodshed. I don't own a Switch and I don't really play games anymore so I'm essentially just a spectator at a colosseum watching a bunch of gladiators yell at each other about the new Smash reveal, so the only way I'd be disappointed is if everyone's happy, which they never are

It's a win/win situation; people get to be massive pricks to each other to fuel their egos and I get to sit back and watch them call each other virgins on Twitter

with how crappy everything but Microsoft was all Nintendo has to do is announce a good Smash character and show a BOTW2 trailer and they win ezpz

also reposting my bingo card here

true (1).png

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
I can't fuckin believe Nintendo actually brought "Metroid Dread" (a name that has existed for what, 15 years now?) back from the dead lol, not even I thought that was possible

The new Mario Party game, the Tony Hawk and Advance Wars remakes, and the chance of playing my first Metroid game ever got my attention.

Not amazing (with no Puyo Puyo-related announcement, it can't be) but it was fine.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
this was a solid direct I think, the things that got me most hype actually were remasters of the good Monkey Ball games and Danganronpa finally coming to switch

but definitely excited to try out a 2D Metroid game as well

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Metroid dread literally looks like the metroid formula has been perfected. Everything questionable about samus returns (slow combat, lame 3ds blurry graphics, slow puzzles) has been fixed. The art style looks amazing and the power ups have been optimized for speed. The slide tech is going to go so far in making the game special.

Don't fuck with us advance wars fans, we are all legal adults now and have jobs so we can't complain any more

NuttyRabbit

Banned deucer.
Nintendo won E3 by a landslide this year between Kazuya in Smash, new Warioware, SMTV, Advance Wars remake, Metroid Dread, and BOTW2 footage/releasw window

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
As someone with little prior interest/engagement with the series, I can safely say the Metroid Dread reveal was easily Nintendo's highlight of this E3. The surprise factor, the visuals, the choreography, the subtitle being a callback to a scrapped title for a game long gone of the same name, it's all perfect and engrossed me to such an extent that for the first time I might just give 2D Metroid a shot. Can't imagine what my reaction would've been if I was a fan

Time for everybody's favourite part of E3: overanalysis of single lines of text!

If you're unfamiliar with Advance Wars, one of the main mechanics is referred to as CO powers, and are effectively your fighting game super meter for your full army.

Gameplay from the treehouse shows one of the commanders, Eagle, using their Power, Lightning Drive. The interesting thing here is that this was during a mission from AW 1, when Eagle's power was named Lightning Strike. When AW 2 introduced a second level of powers, most characters kept the name and effect as their level 1 power and received a new level 2 power. Eagle instead had Lightning Strike buffed into filling his higher-level slot, with a new lower-level power in Lightning Drive.

Here's the interesting bit: AW2 lightning drive is completely different mechanically from lightning strike, so it would be more consistent if it had the old naming style. But AW2 lightning drive also sucked, so its mechanics were replaced in AW3/AWDS. By, wouldn't you guess, a weaker version of lightning strike. Which is exactly what AW1 Lightning Strike was. So the renaming makes everything completely consistent if Eagle happens to use his AWDS powers instead of his AW2 ones.

This is nowhere close to confirmation of anything, but the possibility exists that characters may not have their original stats. (honestly, it probably needs it to have decent online competition. Classic AW is extremely unbalanced)

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Maybe in campaign it will be original lightning drive but in pvp it will be awds 50% power? I would imagine that they keep it consistent from aw1 to aw2. Unless super co powers are gone...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)