No More Heroes

My interest in video games has waned considerably since the days of Jet Force Gemini and Ocarina of Time, to the point that nowadays I find my tastes narrowed down to only the most ridiculously bizarre/off-base of titles. Speaking of which...

This badboy comes out tomorrow. Straight from Suda 51 comes a lovely little number complete with the insane premise you'd expect from the creator of Killer 7.

In this adventure game directed by Goichi Suda (of Killer 7 fame), you play as Travis Touchdown, a normal guy (with an otaku geek streak to him) who wins a Beam Katana through an online auction and uses the weapon to start a new career as a professional killer. One day, an assassin named Helter Skelter appears before Travis and the two face off in a battle. Travis emerges victorious and finds himself in the presence of Silvia Christel, a mysterious French woman who claims to be an agent with the UAA. Silvia gives Travis official rank of 11 in the organization. Now, it's up to you to become #1.
Danke schön, IGN

All of the reviews/previews I've read through so far seem to be overwhelmingly positive; one site even gave it a 9.4/10 while at the same time dubbing it "hatstand chicken-punching bonkers". A nice excerpt:

When Travis saves, he saves on the toilet; when his batteries run low, he holds the handle at waist height and cranks on it until it fires back up; when love interest Sylvia bends over, he checks out her behind.

He's a simple man with a simple mission, and his world is infected with insanity - villains include British body-mod fetishist Death Metal; Virtual Boy-wearing Letz Shake; and Destroy Man, with his laser-firing crotch. They are, by far, gaming's strangest bosses, and every one fights a very different fight.
Danke schön, CVG.com

The words "Laser-firing crotch" are enough to make me want this game very badly. Who's with me?

Here's a nice vid if you're into that kind of stuff.

This game looks awesome. A definite buy for me eventually (hopefully I can convince my brother to buy it) I just hope the gameplay is responsive and simple, and from the video it thankfully seems to be that way. I never played any of Suda 51's stuff but the story looks pretty entertaining as well.

High hopes for this game I have.

Lol, when I first saw the name, I thought that they were canceling heroes and got half way to jumping off a bridge before I remembered.

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to this. I've been a fan of this guy's stuff since Killer 7, so this is a must-buy for me

Lol, when I first saw the name, I thought that they were canceling heroes and got half way to jumping off a bridge before I remembered.
me too but DAMN

that looks AMAZING. When is it coming out in Europe?

also i laughed when the guy jumps down and is like FUCKHEADS

I picked this up today although I haven't really had time to play it too much yet.

Early signs point to it being fairly solid. I'm not big on excessive gore but the blood isn't as intrusive as I would have expected considering it's absolutely everywhere every time you kill something. I'd have liked the wiimote's motion ability to be used in combat a bit more than it is but in general the combat system is pretty solid, I think, which is important because the game plays very much like an arcade game as far as playstyle goes so a great majority of your time is spent killing things.

I've heard the plot is better than you would expect from the genre but it's been pretty faint so far, it seems like it could be heading in a nice direction but it's too early to give it much of an analysis. The voice acting has been stellar so far which is nice because after seeing what bad voice acting can do to a game that otherwise would have been awesome like Baten Kaitos voice acting quality has become a lot more important to me.

To some extent it seems to me like an intentionally vulgar newgrounds video with arcade combat with the wiimote thrown in but it's pretty entertaining thus far.

Got it so far, currently ranked 8th. They had to release Days of Ruin and No More Heroes within a day of each other =\

So far it's pretty good. It's not a terribly deep game for the most part, but the ranked battle stages are good mindless carnage fun and the bosses are memorable. About the worst thing you can say for the game is having to raise money between ranked battles and the relatively blandness of the overworld, but if you want to you can have that money together fairly quickly so it's not a big deal. The voice acting is good and the game manages to earn its mature rating without having head-up-ass GRIMNDARK.

Just beat Destroyman, and...hahahahahahahahaha.

Is it just me, or does Travis' wardrobe consist of the most badass articles of clothing EVER? Seriously whenever I dig up a shirt from the dumpster I want it for myself.

Dr. Peace is the best name for an assassin I've ever heard.

Watched some gameplay videos. Letz Shake is lol: "I think I'm going to lose the bowel control!"

this is easily the coolest game on the Wii. i have been playing this pretty intensely since i bought it and am currently no.6

god damn i never want this game to end it is so freaking awesome.

I finally beat the game yesterday. The ending was... completely insane. In any case, this game had some of the most memorable boss battles I've ever experienced. I think Destroyman is my favorite, even if he is one of the easier ones. And yeah, I totally want Travis's clothes.

I want this game so badly, but its currently out of stock in my area ;_;

Although I do have Kingdom Under Fire- Circle of Doom to keep me company until No More Heroes. (KuF is an awesome game too btw)

This game is pretty sweet. I just beat Destroyman last night. I don't really like the "jobs" you have to do, I generally prefer replaying the assassination jobs since that feels like you're actually doing something :-/

I have watched my best friend play this game all weekend, and it is just a sight to behold! I love all that violence in a Wii game, not to mention that the main character's a bad-ass!

Currently #6 and I really enjoy this game. Destroyman is my fav. so far, hopefully I'll get around to beating this before brawl :]

I don't really like the jobs either, but they make the game a lot longer and ultimately more enjoyable. It seems the chores spread the game out and make it last.

i know this is ancient as all hell but us europeans just got this game on march 14th so

man this game is pretty intense. it is so, SO bizarre and so good at the same time! i like all the bosses so far, especially DEATH METAL and DESTROYMAN. damn, DESTROYMAN is awesome.
the gameplay is incredibly enjoyable, even though it may be a bit repetitive at times. however, since the ranked battles are so diverse, it keeps you glued to the game.
the thing i dislike the most is the city by far. it's... so boring. some of that boredom goes away once you get full control of your SCHPELTIGER but it is still too big for all the few shit it offers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)