np: ORAS OU Suspect Process, Round 2 - Spider Man [Metagrossite remains OU]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be completely honest, I am on the fence for this ban.

Metagross is definitely a force to be reckoned with.. but he is extremely easy to play around. Unlike greninja he doesn't get STAB on everything and a movepool of arceus.. he only has a few moves with 0 setup moves other than lol hone claws.

He doesn't have many counters.. that is an deniable fact, actually he's very much like mawile in away except a much higher speed tier. His counters depend on his set.. as well as key predictions to take him out. There are options such as skarmory, mega bro, doublade, and I'm sure quite a few other things that either check or in skarm's case counter.

Now regarding the metagame, I don't believe metagross hurts HO, THAT much.. HO is full of revenge killers, and the offensive pressure on metagross is surprisingly overwhelming.. especially while it tries to mega evolve as it'll find things very capable of outspeeding and bringing him down to KO range as he megas.

I do say ban for now.. but I have a fair uncertainy to my decision as I find the mon broken on paper.. but underwhelming in practice.

EDIT: and rock polish/agility but all that's doing is changing the speed tier for scarfers rather than boost offenses to break down walls.

I think it should be not banned. First of all, there are some good counters (Foul Play Mandibuzz, Slowbro, or, a not used mon, Jellicent and Celebi) can really destruct it. Here are some calcs:

0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Metagross: 264-312 (87.7 - 103.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+1 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Metagross: 396-468 (131.5 - 155.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 186-220 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
So, you can burn him, and the 2hko would be not a 2hko, or, even a 3hko (22,3% of 2hko). But killers are so much. First of all, Volcarona. Volcarona can really simply kill him, if he used Quiver Dance (If there isn't bpunch, Volcarona can use Quiver Dance, and his special move that I don't remember.), or Zard Y (or w-o-w fblitz Zard X).
I think that he should be.... Not Banned.

When I said '' counters '' I was quoting some people who say that the Pokemon I spoke were counters ... I really did not talk right what I wanted to talk, but these Pokemon I quoted are the common to get more in face of a Heatran, sorry, but if my comment really was not worth anything would be better to ignore ..

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I'll post my thoughts on this later but I'm just going to put this here to say don't use theorymon as an argument for your case. Things like "Oh the tier will be too fairy infested" is not an argument towards whether a potential suspect is ban worthy so provide actual practical reasons in regards to why or why not the suspect in question is fine for the meta-game.

Edit: Also please use some logic when posting and please read the OP for what is and what isn't allowed in regards to post.

Let me start this off by saying that this thing needs to go. It's boring and everyone uses it. It's the epitome of smogon. People just mindlessly put it on there team an get kills when there are other mega's that are not only cooler but better in certain situations. It's also a pain and a half to deal with if you aren't carrying Slowbro or Skarmory (Which I guess most users here do which is boring). It makes creative teambuilding impossible because every game you'll play Johnny who heard this was a good pokemon so they decided to use it. I vote ban because it's just terrible for this kind of slow singles metagame where most of it's answers are banned. If this were double battles then it'd be fine but right now this Mega Metagross is face the smogon and it needs to go.

I think it should be not banned. First of all, there are some good counters (Foul Play Mandibuzz, Slowbro, or, a not used mon, Jellicent and Celebi) can really destruct it. Here are some calcs:

0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Metagross: 264-312 (87.7 - 103.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+1 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Metagross: 396-468 (131.5 - 155.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 186-220 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
So, you can burn him, and the 2hko would be not a 2hko, or, even a 3hko (22,3% of 2hko). But killers are so much. First of all, Volcarona. Volcarona can really simply kill him, if he used Quiver Dance (If there isn't bpunch, Volcarona can use Quiver Dance, and his special move that I don't remember.), or Zard Y (or w-o-w fblitz Zard X).
Volcarona and the zards cannot switch into metagross though. They get obliberated by zen headbutt. 30% flame body burn hax isn't a viable reason to deem it a reliable "check" either. They'd have to come in on the revenge kill.. and that's only checking not countering... should we have kept greninja because sceptile and beedrill could still revenge kill it? Absolutely not.

Not only that.. but why are those calcs -def nature?

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
The other thing I'm afraid of banning Metagross is that idk if the tier will get better if it leaves, I mean I know it's theorymon but if Metagross leaves I guess fairy-type mons like Clefable, Altaria etc will be top threat and idk it will be good (Steel types would exists anyway but yeh Metagross is probs the best offensive one at checking fairies thanks to its godly bulkyness).
We don't use whether or not something will be broken without x or y 'mon in whether or not we ban x or y 'mon. If some specific Fairy-types become broken without Mega Metagross, we ban them. If Mega Metagross is broken, we ban Mega Metagross; we don't keep it in the tier just because it might be preventing some other 'mon from being broken.

leremyju

Banned deucer.

None of these are actually good "counters" I have used Mandibuzz before to counter gross, but after rocks and a meteor mash Mandibuzz is really low. I would like to see the defensive calcs for that. Also, Volcarona and Zards are weak to rocks so you'd have to either defog or spin them away before you can bring it in safely. Even then you aren't safe from zen headbutt flinches or stuff. Offensive checks don't really do the job because Gross can just switch out.

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 163-193 (38.5 - 45.6%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 229-271 (77.1 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Volcarona: 202-238 (54.1 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 186-220 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Solid counters tbh

Also, how is Mega Scizor a counter? Sure it can take 3 Earthquakes and Roost off the damage, but what can it do back?

Last edited:
1. 252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Metagross: 332-392 (110.2 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO. Scarf diggersby outspeeds and can OHKO with EQ, so it wins 1v1 evrey time and therefore is a check.
Sure, scarf Diggersby can revenge gross. But most Diggersby are LO, not scarf. And even so if the Gross carries agility Diggersby is only an answer to it provided it hasn't used agility. Scarf Diggers is a shaky check at best.

Crawdawnt can check if it isnt carrying hammer arm.
0 SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Crawdaunt: 194-230 (72.3 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Metagross: 302-359 (100.3 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

2.Really? Being the good late game sweeper that it is, mega metagross doesnt want to lose on something it would usually beat thanks to a speed drop. I could see it working for a wallbreaker set (since all they do is switch in and out) but for metagross there are better options.
So crawdaunt can check gross IF it's not carrying it's most common coverage move? Yeah, not a check lol. Plus considering it gets 2HKo'd if it switches into anything but Zen even non Hammer Arm variants aren't worried about Crawdaunt. As for late game sweeping, hammer arm speed drops can come into play but EQ not KOing Pokemon like Ferro or Scizor after prior damage can come into play as much as speed drops from hammer arm so there are disadvantages to EQ to. It's a double edged sword.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
All the obvious pros and cons of mega meta have been pointed out in the previous 50+ posts, so i'll just say what my opinion is. While mega meta is indeed a very threatening mon that has versatility and stats and typing and ability going for it, i feel most of the posters here(read: not all, Albacore's post is what you should look up to) just mention it's positives and back it's banning. The chip damage that it'll be taking throughout the match is really crucial, that's what converts the 2hko's to possible 1hko's and further chip damage is in your favor only. What i see is that since XY, OU has become more ban-happy than adaptable towards the new threats. Sure Aegi and Mence and Frog were mostly justifiable(i still don't like how Aegi isn't being resuspected), it has caused a slippery-slope where everything that's strong is seen as bad for the meta, and calls for it's ban are made. Imo it isn't op to the extent that it can't be played around. Also regarding the arguments that it limits teambuilding, idk why you see putting more than 1 check to it on a team overcentralizing when the addition isn't gimmicky and helps you outside of mega meta as well. Could be that i sound primarily anti-ban cos i'm more used to ubers where op stuff is ok, but i still feel that by going for the ban, you guys are just trying to take the easy route.

edit: also all the calc that are being posted, you guys overlook that it can only run 4 moves, so it has to forgo some coverage, if there are other team members for the lost coverage, you also have 5 slots to check that coverage mon. Idk why you want every offensive mon to have a single perfect check/counter.

Just going to put down my stray thoughts here: MegaGross should be banned. I can think of no reliable counters outside of Skarm which can do nothingback but whirlwind and can be pretty easily accounted for in teambuilding with inclusion of most (if not any) special threat (such as but not limited to Gothitelle, Thundurus and Manaphy). That aside, we all need to remember that Agiligross is a thing that can render a lot of Choice Scarfed revenge killers useless against it and allow it a much easier time cleaning up. As these are stray thoughts, I don't have calcs at the moment but from where I'm sitting the counters to Megagross are negligible enough and its destructive capabilities large enough that it deserves a ban. For people complaining about the rise in fairies to result, remember that you still have Mega Scizor, Mega Venusaur, Jirachi etc. to continue checking fairies and that having three or more Pokemon fill the void by one should open up new oppurtunities for the development of the meta.

We don't use whether or not something will be broken without x or y 'mon in whether or not we ban x or y 'mon. If some specific Fairy-types become broken without Mega Metagross, we ban them. If Mega Metagross is broken, we ban Mega Metagross; we don't keep it in the tier just because it might be preventing some other 'mon from being broken.
We ban a mon if it's unhealthy for the tier it's in however, and I don't think Metagross is unhealthy or too much strong to be stopped by lot of things as I explained in my previous post here, also idk why we shouldn't say that Metagross helps against lot of threats that would be extremely dangerous otherwise? I always thought that being healthy or unhealthy was a reason why we banned or not a certain pokèmon, and yes I think almost any fairy type mon will be really more threatening without Metagross (idk any of them will be suspect material though, maybe unless Altaria, but they will be for sure more annoying, and the point that Metagross isn't unhealthy for the tier from this point of view, isn't a bad argument to bring imo)

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Also, how is Mega Scizor a counter? Sure it can take 3 Earthquakes and Roost off the damage, but what can it do back?
Considering Metagross has no reliable recovery it doesn't matter. Scizor can Roost stall and spam Bullet Punch/Knock Off if a fully defensive variant, or Roost + SD up if its bulky SD. Since Metagross isn't going to break it either way the best move is to switch out since Scizor can chip away while remaining at a nice amount of HP.

Also fully defensive Mew is a pretty strong switch-in to Metagross.

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Mew: 157-186 (38.8 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Just to clarify this is not an anti-ban argument, but some people are calling Slowbro a counter when it really isn't so I thought I'd name something that can actually reliably switch in.

Honestly so on the fence right now, I don't know. I've seen a few goods posts, but most are garbage. Would love to hear more intelligent posts. MegaMetagross is no where near as broken as Greninja or mence. It does place a strain on teambuilding, but so did a lot of mons. It does have checks and counters, yet it can beat most of them via coverage moves, which comes to the 4mss syndrome argument tho. Also it can be paired with Magnezone to all beat its checks and counters.

As for the fairy argument its crap, aegis and mawile were banned and fairies did not overrun the tier. Also specs hypervoice nails gross, clefable hits it with flamethrower, altaria nails it with flamethrower or eq, Mega Gard can also do heavy damage, Diancie has earthpower. Even if any do become broken we can ban them.

Most likely I will make my decision based on good people's arguments and whether I like the suspect meta more or not. That is if I make reqs and don't just quit around 2500 Coil like I normally do.

They didn't say anything about fairies being broken, just that Mega Metagross might be a healthy influence on the tier by virtue of its ability to check some very dangerous fairies. Clefable in particular has been despised by many players because of how easy it is to slap onto teams and glue them together and forcing you to play in a specific way. It's like the savior for balance, but Mega Metagross gives me another option to deal with this threat.

I think Mega Metagross is the least broken suspect yet, besides Aegislash which I really thought was only overcentralizing (I didn't want it banned, but whatever, not relevant atm), and I honestly felt that MegaZard X and Clefable in XY OU constrained my balance builds more than Mega Meta, due to them threatening to sweep my teams if I didn't build in a specific way. And it is for sure the best wallbreaker by virtue of its coverage and speed, but it doesn't really ohko things up the wazoo like Mega Gard/Hera/Cham did in XY OU.

It is worth noting that Mega Metagross is really not unstoppable in the same sense as Mence/Mawile/Ninja. Ninja could screw you over at any given point (if not running stall) if it revealed the right coverage. Mawile and Mence could screw you over by revealing focus punch/coverage and mixed sets/dd/anything really respectively. Mega Metagross is stupid good, and it constrains your options, but you still know more or less how it's going to screw you over at least. Both players can run Mega Metagross, and chip at each other over several turns, and it's more balanced than two people running Mega Mence and threatening to outright sweep each other at any point (agility doesn't compare). This is obviously not ideal, and Mega Meta clearly does have a stranglehold on the metagame, but I guess I see it as more similar to two people running Snorlax in GSC than two people running Mega Ray in Ubers (basically, try to sweep first). And, you still have great teams that don't utilize Mega Meta.

It's probably the best pokemon in OU by a noticeable margin, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Now, as to the extent of which it increases the matchup component of the game, i don't know...

Edit: Adamant Zoroark I just brought up GSC snorlax, because I think that Mega Metagross isn't brokenly powerful, nor do I think it's as overcentralizing as Aegislash or as uncompetitive as Swagger; don't read too much into it. I just think it's really really really really really good.

Last edited:

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
We ban a mon if it's unhealthy for the tier it's in however, and I don't think Metagross is unhealthy or too much strong to be stopped by lot of things as I explained in my previous post here, also idk why we shouldn't say that Metagross helps against lot of threats that would be extremely dangerous otherwise? I always thought that being healthy or unhealthy was a reason why we banned or not a certain pokèmon, and yes I think almost any fairy type mon will be really more threatening without Metagross (idk any of them will be suspect material though, maybe unless Altaria, but they will be for sure more annoying, and the point that Metagross isn't unhealthy for the tier from this point of view, isn't a bad argument to bring imo)
I honestly think you're overstating how hard it is to handle Fairy-types. We have:

Bisharp
Charizard Y
Excadrill
Ferrothorn
Gengar
Heatran
Jirachi
Magnezone
Scizor
Mega Scizor
Skarmory
Talonflame
Mega Venusaur

And that's just in OU alone. We didn't have a problem handling Fairy-types before Mega Metagross existed, and I see no reason why Fairy-types would suddenly become problematic if Mega Metagross left.

ohgeedubs We really shouldn't look at past gens for evidence. I see you brought up GSC Snorlax, which would have been banned if we had even DPP-era banhammer standards back then.

Okay. Ngl, Mega Metagross has OU wrapped around its claws. It forces you to run not one but two or more checks (e.g. Ferro + Hippo or Slowbro + Lando-T or other combinations :x ) just to not get bopped by its coverage, and boi does this menace have coverage. Its damage output is super duper and the potential boosty boosts or hax it can get are annoying as fuck (I've lost games because of ma hippo gettin' flinched lol). Moreover, this thing has the defenses of a god and is very difficult to take down without it being weakened. My stance rn though is Undecided. Imma, y'know, test the waters, ladder, get reqs, read the arguments, see how teambuilding is without spidey in mind, consult my heart, etc. This will be interesting.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Everyone saying Metagross should be banned because offense can't switch in on it...... I just cant with you.

News flash, offensive teams aren't going to have switch ins to a lot of things, Metagross isn't special in this regard, that's why they're offensive teams and not defensive teams, which by the way don't even have too much trouble with M-Meta if they're -good- defensive teams.
Even bulky offense has plenty of hard checks that I listed in my previous comment. Checks, not counters, and they don't have to be counters either so quit bitching about the scarcity of counters already, we know and that doesn't make it ban worthy just like Hydreigon in UU isnt, even though it theoretically shouldn't have any switch ins in that tier and has also has many similar qualities relative to the metagame that it's in (wallbreaking power, bulk, great mixed offenses, good coverage, a move to surprise typical checks, decent speed).
Overall though I'm just not convinced that OU will get any better with Mega Meta gone.

Last edited:
Just gonna dump this here ._.
http://pastebin.com/thvDKcAy

Keep in mind all those calcs are factoring in a JOLLY meteor mash, not an ADAMANT one from agiligross sets.
These calcs can more or less show all you honestly need is stabs+hammer+gknot to kill 90% of everything; the other few can be removed with some different moves/sets and there stands only two counters in the end of it all: Mega scizor and gourgiest-L with phantom force :S

So it has the potential to beat everything practically in the game bar mega scizor on the switch in.
Now give it 110 base speed
An excellent defensive typing
And 700 BST with god-like bulk.
And an ability that boosts the power of almost every single one of its moves.
Did I mention its one of the only azu checks that can actually fit onto offense?

BAN.
This was a great post and I'm unsure on my status for ban/no ban, but I wanted to point something out.
Next: Gourgeist-L
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Large: 135-159 (38.1 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Gourgeist-Large Phantom Force vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Metagross: 146-174 (48.5 - 57.8%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO
The mothafucking pumpkin is back, with its new and shiny synthesis, its ready to burn and leech seed mmeta to death.
Unfortunately most of them run seed bomb to check subcm keldeo, so sub+pup will still beat gourgiest-L a majority of the time. If you do happen to carry phantom force, u win ignoring a mmash boost on the switch-in.
Verdict: GOURGEIST-L IS A COUNTER.
One, you used Large instead of super, which is a tad bulkier.
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 148-176 (39.5 - 47%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 135-159 (36 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Two, Gourgeist gets Foul Play in ORAS, so it's not forced to run Phantom Force. At least we agree that it is a counter though.
0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 158-188 (52.4 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not that it matters because Gourgeist is incredibly uncommon in OU (but still good-ish), but just wanted to point that out.

I don't really get how so many people are against the ban of this thing. Just consider the standard Mega Metagross set you see on a high ladder typical match. Megagross carries Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt as double stabs, Hammer Arm for Ferrothorn & Heatran, and Grass Knot for Hippowdon and Slowbro. This one set wrecks almost every single slower pokemon than Metagross on balanced builds. Bulky Chomp works well against it (passive rockyhelmet/roughskin damage), as does physically defensive Gliscor. Defensive Landorus-T gets wore down too easily, and it can't switch in as Metagross evolves. Physically defensive Mew burns it unless you get a lucky attack boost with Meteor Mash, and Scizor (normal and mega) is probably the single best actually available counter to this thing. Don't you have one of those mons on your team? Well you just lose a pokemon every single time Megagross switches in then. Playing around Megagross is incredibly hard due to the massive damage it deals even with resisted hits. Balance probably has the worst match-up against "Spider Man". More offensive teams can rely on scarfers, priority and naturally faster pokemon to deal with it, which means that it might looks "fine" for them, even though many super-effective hits don't kill Megagross due to its amazing natural bulk (LO Sucker Punch Bisharp, Specs Raikou Shadow Ball, LO Tornadus-T Heat Wave, Scarf Landorus-T Earthquake). Stall used to struggle against it, but has now kind of adapted due to the use of Rocky Helmet Counter Skarmory, Physically Defensive Mega Scizor, Specially Defensive Slowbro (it works).
While this mon doesn't perform incredibly well against every single play-style, on my perspective it works well enough to deserve the ban hammer. The Meta right now is a mess, and too many matches are decided at team preview. Let's start to fix this with a ban.

Rumor

when bae sees your sketchers light up
aight, so lets get some shit straight.

look at this thing
first look at it and i think (oh fuck what the fuck can i do to this)

literally this thing has nothing to stop it.

Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, Garchomp (circumstantial), Hippowdon, Slowbro; all of these physical walls destroyed by mega meta, provided it has the corresponding moves that go with it (ie: ice punch, gk, hammer arm, etc etc). Defensive Walls: Gone

Offensive threats like Bisharp, Scarf Victini, Scarf Landorus-T, Scarf Garchomp, fare good matchup against it if they switch in after it gets a kill. They can't take a hit otherwise from it's common core. Basically, if you want to kill it, you are forced to sack something to attempt to kill it, and even that is just a ruse in case it switches out! Sure you know, Bisharp forces a switch. It doesnt. why would metagross even remotely fear bisharp when it can't even get a guaranteed kill with Sucker Punch?

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 257-304 (85.3 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Its the same thing with pursuit, and even then it doesnt even guarantee that metagross doesn't pillage your god damn village with Hammer Arm first. Offensive Threats: Gone

You may think like "hey, its just like greninja with the 4 move slot syndrome lets not ban it". It has fucking tough claws. so what if it can only run 4 moves? It has virtually unresisted coverage with the standard moveset that it runs (gk, h arm, mmash, zheadbutt)! One of the only pokemon that actually resists this common core of 4 moves is Victini, and even that can't switch in on an Earthquake, which is still run over Hammer Arm (team dependant)!

Lets just go over its defences real quick; i kind of touched on it with Bisharp, but that was kind of irrelevant. Metagross has absurdly high defences with 80/150/110. You know what thats higher than? Hippowdon. Slowbro. Rotom-W (not really high defence but used as a physical wall) Ferrothorn. All of these have a base defence and special defence lower than this fucking spider. Like what the fuck?

just some calcs:

-1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 248-292 (64.9 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Slowbro: 240-284 (60.9 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 188-222 (53.4 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 314-370 (74.7 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 133-157 (43.8 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

basically to sum this up: Metagross has to go.

Insanely good speed tier, amazing defensive capabilities and offensive capabilities, unrivaled movesets (greninja lol), and checked by next to done.

Ban the spider

Tele

a quality human being

This is how I see the metagame right now, a combination of these 3 megas: Mega Sableye Stall, Mega Metagross Hyper Offense and Mega Diancie (or Mega Garde if you want) Bulky Offense. Removing only one of these 3 pokemons means that another mon would take great benefit from it, Diancie in this case (but also Mega Gardevoir). Talking realistically, I think that the Metagross situation is very similar to Aegislash one: I know many people that regretted voting for his ban (I am one of those), since it marked the beginning of the bulky offense era (Avante Palestra by Destiny Device and Mega Heracross Rain are 2 good examples) with mons like Mega Heracross and Gardevoir finally being able to spam their powerfull stab moves, with pretty much nothing able to resist them. Now, I think that if Metagross gets banned, not only offense will lose a really good switch to Latios and Fairies in general, but the whole metagame would be more unbalanced than it is now. Thus, I'm going to say no ban.

I think people need to stop assuming fairies will be broken if Metagross leaves. You don't know if they will dominate or not. You haven't even played in a meta without Metagross, so stfu.

I'm undecided until I've actually played a good amount of games with and without Metagross in the tier because that makes the most sense. Looking at it though, my main problem I have is that it is too damn hard to revenge kill. Mainly because it has an amazing speed that only a few offense mons can overcome and because its bulk is so high it is hard af to ohko it without dying yourself. These two reasons alone are why I hate it the most. I planned to write out something more but tbh I think it's better to play the game and not over-think this.

One last note:
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature, Adamant Nature, Jolly Nature
- Grass Knot
- Hammer Arm
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Agility
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

This is the set of champions. Please do not reference the set of champions when making an argument. Far too often I see people make arguments about scenarios that happen but that only happen when Metagross has ice punch and agility for scarf landot but also grass knot and you also predict the double into slowbro and 2hko him while rocks are up. Also you obviously have both zen headbutt and hammer arm chilling in the back for those keldeos and heatran switch ins so they cant ruin your sweep... This doesn't happen people. Just pick one set when you make a scenario n_n

Last edited:
The issue with M-Metagross is that its stats are 'unbalanced.'

You have Pokemon who have are fast and hit hard like M-Lopunny, M-Diancie and Latios but they suffer from below average bulk.

You then have Pokemon who are extremely bulky like Skarmory, Mandibuzz and Alomomola but they suffer from passiveness and low offensive pressure.

Lastly, you have Pokemon who have good bulk and good offensive stats like M-Venasaur, Conkeldurr and M-Heracross but they suffer from low speed.

You then have M-Metagross, which hits hard, has great uninvested defences with a Steel typing for bulk as well as hitting the crucial 110 speed tier. Now high stats itself doesn't automatically make a Pokemon broken - see Kyurem-B or M-Diancie for example. However, M-Metagross has a movepool that abuses its Tough Claws ability and the combination of Meteor Mash (175 base power), Zen Headbutt (156 base power) and Hammer Arm (130 base power despite not being STAB) hit the majority of the metagame really hard. Such a hard-hitting, bulky AND fast Pokemon is a bit too overpowering for OU.

The current OU metagame has viable counters and checks for M-Metagross such as Scizor, Slowbro, Skarmory, Mandibuzz, Starmie, M-Gyarados before mega-evolving (to an extent), scarf Landorus-T etc but the issue here is that these counters and checks are very specific. Pokemon like Slowbro shouldn't be slapped onto offensive teams solely for being a M-Metagross switch in. M-Metagross restricts teambuilding a bit too much.

I want to conclude by saying that M-Metagross is not blatantly broken like M-Salamence or M-Kangaskan. It's more similar to M-Mawille and Greninja in that its a bit too overpowering for OU. It's most similar to M-Charizard X in XY (which was very nearly suspected) but it doesn't have a stealth rock weakness and it doesn't need a turn to set up. It's very low risk has too high a reward and I feel that its presence is just a bit too much for the current OU metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)