np: ORAS OU Suspect Process, Round 5 - Run The Jewels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Mega Sableye is fine, a good player can find a way to deal with it and stall teams in general. I put LO Modest Nasty Plot Lucario on one of my recent teams and it handles stall very effectively, OHKOing Sableye after the boost with Flash Cannon (who will usually mindlessly burn it), 2HKOing Chansey with Aura Sphere, OHKOing Skarmory and usually OHKOing Unaware Clefable most of the time. Once one of those key cogs in the machine are gone, stall usually crumbles.

I'm obviously not advocating everyone use of that Lucario on every team to tackle stall (I use mine on a Trick Room team so the speed is a lot more viable), the point I'm trying to raise is that with creative play it's not too much of an issue. Off the top of my head, Skill Swap, a decent Fire type like Victini, or even Taunt Mega Gyarados all handle it - a some of its team mates - fine. In short, don't ban Sablenite.

Gothitelle on the other hand, I think as the OP mentions, is a blunt tool to eliminate counter play to a different pokemon and should be banned. It's ease of use is applicable to many teams, and there's very few ways to insure that if the opponent makes a clever switch you won't be punished for it. As there are too few counter measures that don't involve something ridiculous (there was a top ladder team recently that had Shed Shell Manaphy to deal with it), I think there's no reason not to ban it.

Likewise, Wobbuffet can be an equal annoyance, with the combo of Mirror Coat/Counter as well as Custap Destiny Bond and Encore taking out one, possibly two pokemon without much trouble or again offering a huge momentum advantage locking the player into a move with encore. Again, the ease of use, blanket applicability to many teams and the lack of counter plays make it uncompetitive, just like Gothitelle. Therefore, ban Shadow Tag.

Neither Mega Sableye nor Wynaut and wobb should be tested at all because they don't contribute to Stall being nearly unbreakable they way Gothitelle does by removing from the opposing team *without fail* at least one of so many mons that are great vs stall.
even without M-sableye, goth stall is still a huge problem, because it still removes things that trouble chansey, clefable, quagsire and friends, such as: heracross, keldeo, venusaur, heatran and friends.. something that wobb has no way of achieving.
So goth (and baby goth) with shadow tag is the only real issue, I'd say just ban shadow tag on goth and we got a nice meta with no (extremely) disgusting and near unbreakable stall.

Just a small reply to this specific part, namely the "I can force Sableye out before it Megas and gets Rocks up! No problem!" Well, Sableye can (and somewhat commonly does) run Fake Out exactly for situations such as that. It can still do a heck of a lot in three moveslots (Foul Play | Knock Off / Recover / Will o Wisp) so it's not like Sableye loses its usefulness by doing this either.
(inb4 "Ewww pokemon online!")
http://stats.pokemon-online.eu/ORAS OU/302.html
These are the stats I've found on Sab's sets and usage. Please count how many sets actually use fake out.

Edit: Was given the Showdown ones, Fake Out is even less used there: http://sweepercalc.com/stats/

Point being, fake out is a very obscure move that is run a little over 10% of the time. I don't see how that's such a disaster if one every ten sableye (that you run into six times in one hundred games, I might add) runs Fake Out to specifically deal with Heatran.

Last edited:
That's not Showdown's which is the more popular sim

And Fake Out counts as a lure, so low usage will be what you see anyhow.
Yes, it's not showdown. The showdown stats help too, but it's also good to get outside sources. Anyway, thanks. I'll edit that link in as well.

My point is that for something as 'catastrophic' as Mega Sableye is, there seems to be a lot of obscure, rarely seen stuff being brought up.

Also, any decently hard hitting physical fire type can deal with most Mega Sableye, or force them out.

(inb4 "Ewww pokemon online!")
These are the stats I've found on Sab's sets and usage. Please count how many sets actually use fake out.

Also, if you check the global usage stats, fake out is only run 15% of the time on Sab, at least on Online. So you're saying we should ban Sab because your 6% chance of your heatran running into a sableye has a 15% chance of being faked out?
1. Did I ever say that Sableye should be banned?
2. Did I ever say that the point was hugely relevant to Sableye getting banned?

The answer to both those is no. Please don't make assumptions. I just happen to see that particular point that I initally quoted as illegitimate due to the relevance of Fake Out. Regardless of usage stats, Fake Out Sableye has seen some usage in tours which is a good indicator of the quality of certain variations.

p2

Banned deucer.
A shit ton of Sableye sets use Fake Out in order to become one of the most effective leads in the game because it gets free chip damage and a safe mega evo so that you can have almost total hazard control from t1. It also completely shits on Azelf and annoys a bunch of other hazard leads while also screwing over stuff like Multiscale and Air Balloons and in general has more utility than Protect.
| 2 | Sableye | 6.29766% | 128863 | 3.012% |

If that doesn't show how dominating Sableye is as a lead then I don't know what to say.

Yes, it's not showdown. The showdown stats help too, but it's also good to get outside sources. Anyway, thanks. I'll edit that link in as well.

My point is that for something as 'catastrophic' as Mega Sableye is, there seems to be a lot of obscure, rarely seen stuff being brought up.

Also, any decently hard hitting physical fire type can deal with most Mega Sableye, or force them out.
Yeah you don't need high usage to be overcentralising, any previous suspect tests, especially the Deoxys formes prove this. Sableye literally makes standard balance hazard stacking builds unviable with its presence alone.
Also physical Fire types don't exactly work either when they all keel over to Foul Play which is like the 3rd most common move and stuff like Bulk Up Talonflame just get ruined by Gothitelle.

...But the thing is, Mega Sableye's teammates will usually be ones that can deal with physical fire-types, such as Hippowdon, as well as Pokemon that can deal with fairies. If it were Mega Sableye vs a whole team, guess who would lose. But, even a player with half a brain would know Mega Sableye can't take on every threat in the metagame alone. They would identify threats to Mega Sableye, and add team members to deal with them.

Also, if you check the global usage stats, fake out is only run 15% of the time on Sab, at least on Online. So you're saying we should ban Sab because your 6% chance of your heatran running into a sableye has a 15% chance of being faked out?
I'm as anti-MSab-ban as the next guy, assuming the next guy is also anti-ban, but c'mon, nobody is saying this. Fake Out was used as a rebuttal to people saying you can just SR/Spikes before MSableye mega evolves.
And the "usage stats" argument has been touched on already - (i.e., in every single suspect test) - usage, while a broad indicator of overcentralisation, is not the main driver behind suspects. Check out baton pass or Lando-I. Or this line in the framework:
III. A.)2.) a.) "While they can certainly provide context for uncompetitive and unhealthy, the way we have defined both means something does NOT need to be highly used to be either."

This is gonna be inevitably ninja'd but I don't care :'(

1. Did I ever say that Sableye should be banned?
2. Did I ever say that the point was hugely relevant to Sableye getting banned?

The answer to both those is no. Please don't make assumptions. I just happen to see that particular point that I initally quoted as illegitimate due to the relevance of Fake Out. Regardless of usage stats, Fake Out Sableye has seen some usage in tours which is a good indicator of the quality of certain variations.
Alright, sorry for the misunderstanding. I just had a problem with you saying that it's commonly run when that's not the case.

A shit ton of Sableye sets use Fake Out in order to become one of the most effective leads in the game because it gets free chip damage and a safe mega evo so that you can have almost total hazard control from t1. It also completely shits on Azelf and annoys a bunch of other hazard leads while also screwing over stuff like Multiscale and Air Balloons and in general has more utility than Protect.
| 2 | Sableye | 6.29766% | 128863 | 3.012% |

If that doesn't show how dominating Sableye is as a lead then I don't know what to say.

Yeah you don't need high usage to be overcentralising, any previous suspect tests, especially the Deoxys formes prove this. Sableye literally makes standard balance hazard stacking builds unviable with its presence alone.
Also physical Fire types don't exactly work either when they all keel over to Foul Play which is like the 3rd most common move and stuff like Bulk Up Talonflame just get ruined by Gothitelle.
You assume that hazard stacking should be kept a part of the meta forever, instead of letting the meta evolve. What if GF is trying to shift the meta away from hazard stacking by introducing strong Magic Bounce 'mons like M-Sableye? This whole discussion sounds like a "preserve Stealth Rocks" committee instead of a balancing discussion. :P

People keep saying that Sab makes their hazards no longer viable, but that doesn't sound like a bad thing to me. I think it opens up the door to a lot more strategies being viable besides get up Sneaky Pebbles first turn and switch around 15 billion times to pressure your opponent while having them take damage from switching.

p2

Banned deucer.
Alright, sorry for the misunderstanding. I just had a problem with you saying that it's commonly run when that's not the case.

You assume that hazard stacking should be kept a part of the meta forever, instead of letting the meta evolve. What if GF is trying to shift the meta away from hazard stacking by introducing strong Magic Bounce 'mons like M-Sableye? This whole discussion sounds like a "preserve Stealth Rocks" committee instead of a balancing discussion. :P
Mega Sableye's presences is doing the exact opposite of letting the meta evolve, its letting it stagnate because its the most toxic piece of shit ever.

GF also don't give a shit about singles given how much they force doubles, I don't see how this is a valid point.

You need to chill

We ban things from OU when it becomes an overcentralizing part of the Meta, or w/e. Frankly it doesn't matter if we're circumventing what GF is trying to accomplish. If it's too much for OU then it's got to go. And Stealth Rock, no matter what can stop them, will always be a defining part of Smogon no matter what's introduced.

And Mega Sable is fucking leukemia man.

So no one cares what GF is trying to do dude. We care about what's going on in OU and how the Meta can be made better.

Mega Sableye's presences is doing the exact opposite of letting the meta evolve, its letting it stagnate because its the most toxic piece of shit ever.

GF also don't give a shit about singles given how much they force doubles, I don't see how this is a valid point.
This sounds like circular reasoning. "Sab is bad because it's bad." Please elaborate.

I should get off of here before I make more people mad lol

And Stealth Rock, no matter what can stop them, will always be a defining part of Smogon no matter what's introduced
...exactly what I'm talking about here.

We care about what's going on in OU and how the Meta can be made better.
Just wondering about that last bit. Removing MSableye, while providing some variety as all bans do, and maybe loosening up Stall builds as they rush to fill in the gap it leaves, mostly has an impact on what teams can get hazards up, and what kinds of hazards, i.e. early game w/ leads or balance spike stacking AFAIK. I'm assuming, then, that this is implied to be a better Meta? No snark or anything, I'm genuinely interested. I kinda get what Ace Trainer ^ is getting at with his later points, in the sense that I can't see the inability to set hazards easily (well, for a given value of easily) as an intrinsically bad thing. It's not a good thing, don't get me wrong. I just see it as... a thing. It's a major way of taking out stall, but I don't know if not having access to that necessarily makes the meta bad, only different. It'll define the meta, sure, in the sense that if hazards define a meta then logically so does their absence. So I'm wondering if shooting for the former is one of the core reasons behind pro-ban.

Sometimes I wonder if I am pro or anti stall :V

Just wondering about that last bit. Removing MSableye, while providing some variety as all bans do, and maybe loosening up Stall builds as they rush to fill in the gap it leaves, mostly has an impact on what teams can get hazards up, and what kinds of hazards, i.e. early game w/ leads or balance spike stacking AFAIK. I'm assuming, then, that this is implied to be a better Meta? No snark or anything, I'm genuinely interested. I kinda get what Ace Trainer ^ is getting at with his later points, in the sense that I can't see the inability to set hazards easily (well, for a given value of easily) as an intrinsically bad thing. It's not a good thing, don't get me wrong. I just see it as... a thing. It's a major way of taking out stall, but I don't know if not having access to that necessarily makes the meta bad, only different. It'll define the meta, sure, in the sense that if hazards define a meta then logically so does their absence. So I'm wondering if shooting for the former is one of the core reasons behind pro-ban.

Sometimes I wonder if I am pro or anti stall :V
It's not an inherently bad thing when we can't get up hazards easily. But it is a bad thing when your ability to get hazards up depends entirely on whether the opponent has one specific Pokemon.

TDK Edit: Edited out deleted post

Anyways, I stand my point in that sableye is fine, the degree of centralization is rather low to be honest, there are somewhat redundant lures that don't affect the metagame hard, I mean moldbreaker SR Excadrill is the most extreme one I can think of.

But having to use a shed shell Manaphy for gothitrap is where I have to draw the line.

Last edited by a moderator:

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
We are aware of the ladder reset and will extend the deadline to make up for the time lost; the suspect test will now end on December 9th. Apologies if you have already laddered for reqs; there's nothing we can really do. If you did already make reqs, send a screenshot of your ranking as well as confirmation of your account ownership in PM to one of the council members (AM, boudouche, M Dragon, McMeghan, Tesung, or TDK). Do not PM us if you did not make reqs.

OU's tiering policy framework applied to Sablenite:

I) Skill

A. Team Building Skill - This definitely applies. It takes knowledge to protect sableye from common threats like manaphy and gardevoir and to prepare for opposing sableyes. Boosting moves and fairy types are the best of course but sableye probably has teammates for these, so

B. Creativity - It started with sableye using fake out to anti-lead against fairies and stuff, and offensive teams joined the arms race with everything from lum berries to specs dazzling gleams to banded fire STAB attacks. Lures are pretty good here. I've lost sableye to improper guesswork plenty of times. This is pretty fun stuff. It takes way more creativity to break a defensive backbone than it does to pack a keldeo counter.

C. Battling Skill

1. Picking The Right Lead - If you have something like a victini then even if sableye has protect, it's not easy to eat that turn 2 switch in, especially since band would ohko sableye but expert belt can lure in quagsire. Maybe a different lead would be better.
2. Recognize Win Condition - Still applies
3. Picking The Right Move - Of course this still applies. Wisp or foul play? Moon blast or flamethrower?
4. Smart Switching - Against any stall team by default this is minimized because there is usually one choice. Sableye in particular doesn't affect this because if it was bulky zard-x, slowbro, or venusaur you still usually only have one switch at a given time.
5. Gathering Information - I don't see why sablenite changes anything here
6. Long Term Goals / Short Term Goals - Switching sableye into an earth plate landorus can prevent rocks in the short term but at what cost?
7. Assessing Risk - Comes into play always. Stall usually has less to gain from a good prediction because they can't sweep with a single boost, but, sometimes you just HAVE to switch a chansey into thundurus even if you don't know it has superpower or not.
8. Probability Management - Pretty sure everyone ignores this and just clicks hurricane/stoneedge and complains later.
9. Prediction - Sableye eases prediction for sure. Against something like a hippowdon or ferrothorn there is 0 chance to worry about rocks vs whirlwind, hazards vs leech seed. Bannable offense? I doubt it... ease prediction is a buzzword around here.

II) Uncompetitive
A. Match Up Relation - Defense is definitely match up related.

B. External Factors - None

C. Probability Cheese - None. Sableye actually gets the short end of the stick. Wisps miss and bisharp/drill flinch it out all the time.

D. Excessively specific counters - now this is just lazy. Anything with unpredictable coverage and power can blow holes in a stall team. If all you do is copy teams from smogon then of course you'll be using clefable on every team and be sick of it. But try, I don't know, nasty plot infernape with the moves to hit sableye and skarm and chansey and quagsire as well? What it can't beat clefable? So now just complaining that one pokemon can't beat five on turn 1?

III) Broken
A. Sableye does not have 200/200/200/200/200/200 bst

B. Sableye is not so good that it absolutely has to be used, unlike kangaskhan and aegislash etc

C. Checks and counters are not gimmick mons. Even something as basic as specs keldeo checks in a pinch. Ofc sableye team has ways to fight back against your checks/counters it's pokemon ffs.

IV) Unhealthy - "elements that are neither uncompetitive nor broken, yet deemed undesirable for the metagame such that they inhibit "skillful play" to a large extent"

I love how "skillful play" is in quotes here, obviously no one has any idea what they're talking about and unhealthy is just a word to throw around if you don't like something. I personally think manaphy is still unhealthy as it was in gen V but it's apparently not on anyone elses mind right now. I guess if you think sablenite is unhealthy then you can think that if you want to.

A. There apparently is no precedent for so called "unhealthy" ban in OU but didn't some other tiers ban scald? Well, take note that status quo takes precedence and it's up to the anti-sable crew to actually justify banning and voting it.

B. "If the metagame has too much diversity ... we may seek to reduce the number of good to great threats. This can also work in reverse; if the metagame is too centralized ... we may seek to add Pokemon to increase diversity."

I'm not touching this with a 39 1/2 foot pole.

C. This SHOULD be controversial. Instead people are just bandwagoning because they want precious ferrothorn to check everything and always can lay hazards. Ban sablenite!

D. AVOID CALLING THINGS UNHEALTHY IT IS A MEANINGLESS WORD

Sablenite actually has somewhat low usage and no one was using like mold breaker pinsir or drudgion for rocks, only excadrill, who already makes great use of the ability to hit rotoms. This isn't the same level as primal groudon bringing solrock up into some defensive uber teams. It's simply not that appallingly restrictive.

And I really don't think of him first in the team building stage: I think about dealing with charizards and clefable first of all, personally. Sablenite? A myriad of options. Clef, heatran, drill, and SD chomp are not the only pokemon that can muscle through and lay hazards. That's just a symptom of lazy people copying teams off smogon. It's pure hyperbole to suggest that they are the only choices. You can use something with scald and rocks, something with calm mind and rocks, something with SD and rocks, something with incredibly powerful special STAB and rocks, or you could just fuck off and attack it instead of trying to lay rocks. Not being able to (easily) lay hazards against it is like complaining that you can't (easily) spam voltswitch against a sceptile. Your complaining about the game mechanics in the cartridge.

tl;dr I literally copied the stickied framework and line by line verified that sablenite is fine in like 22/24 categories. If you disagree then you truly have shamelessly mastered your own cognitive dissonance. And if you just hate defensive teams and are using your vote to that end, then that's your opinion, I'm sorry to hear it.

Sablenite is balanced and not bad. Goth is ban-worthy. Wobb is probably balanced.

timotei

Banned deucer.
I think Mega Sableye is fine, a good player can find a way to deal with it and stall teams in general. I put LO Modest Nasty Plot Lucario on one of my recent teams and it handles stall very effectively, OHKOing Sableye after the boost with Flash Cannon (who will usually mindlessly burn it), 2HKOing Chansey with Aura Sphere, OHKOing Skarmory and usually OHKOing Unaware Clefable most of the time. Once one of those key cogs in the machine are gone, stall usually crumbles.

I'm obviously not advocating everyone use of that Lucario on every team to tackle stall (I use mine on a Trick Room team so the speed is a lot more viable), the point I'm trying to raise is that with creative play it's not too much of an issue. Off the top of my head, Skill Swap, a decent Fire type like Victini, or even Taunt Mega Gyarados all handle it - a some of its team mates - fine. In short, don't ban Sablenite.

Gothitelle on the other hand, I think as the OP mentions, is a blunt tool to eliminate counter play to a different pokemon and should be banned. It's ease of use is applicable to many teams, and there's very few ways to insure that if the opponent makes a clever switch you won't be punished for it. As there are too few counter measures that don't involve something ridiculous (there was a top ladder team recently that had Shed Shell Manaphy to deal with it), I think there's no reason not to ban it.

Likewise, Wobbuffet can be an equal annoyance, with the combo of Mirror Coat/Counter as well as Custap Destiny Bond and Encore taking out one, possibly two pokemon without much trouble or again offering a huge momentum advantage locking the player into a move with encore. Again, the ease of use, blanket applicability to many teams and the lack of counter plays make it uncompetitive, just like Gothitelle. Therefore, ban Shadow Tag.
Even if we accept the specious proposition that a good player (by whose standards?) "can find a way to deal with [Mega Sableye]" (but clearly if that's a major consideration during teambuilding then Sableye is overcentralizing and therefore a candidate for a ban) you neglect the question of synergy and counter-synergy. M-Sableye finds a spot in stall team because it synergizes excellently with that playstyle, but if teambuilders have to include certain pokemon in their teams in order to counter sableye as a matter of course, that may or may not synergize with their teams or playstyles, then Sableye disrupts counter-synergy and weakens the enemy team before even exiting its Pokeball. Yes, LO Modest Nasty Plot Lucario and a handful of other (M)Sableye "counters" synergize well with Hyper Offense teams, and so the argument can be made that adopting a Hyper Offense playstyle is a viable strategy against Sableye and stall in general, but this risks homogenizing the metagame even further, and I'm sure you'll agree that the ideal OU metagame ought to be more than just a game of rock-paper-scissors between different playstyles. Therefore, Ban Sablenite.

Your argument calling for a Shadow Tag ban is even more unsound. Sorry, but "annoyance" alone isn't a sufficient criterion to ban not just a pokemon but an entire ability, and barring certain edge cases Shadow Tag remains a balanced gambit that sees a lot of legitimate use and counterplay. You fail to prove your point that Shadow Tag is uncompetitive, because ease of use and blanket applicability do not in themselves result in uncompetitiveness. "Lack of counter plays" is a point I'll have to disagree with, because even though shadow tag does not have many counters in the "simple" or usual sense, it is easily countered using basic team awareness and modulating your plays to be slightly more conservative. Don't ban Shadow Tag.

There's very clearly a lot of mental gymnastics done here and you forget the fact that the framework is not codified dogma, but open to a certain degree of interpretation, especially given the prevalence of subjective language throughout. Likewise, you've used vague language and relied heavily on implicit assumptions in your "proof", such as in:

III) BrokenA. Sableye does not have 200/200/200/200/200/200 bst

B. Sableye is not so good that it absolutely has to be used, unlike kangaskhan and aegislash etc

C. Checks and counters are not gimmick mons. Even something as basic as specs keldeo checks in a pinch. Ofc sableye team has ways to fight back against your checks/counters it's pokemon ffs.
Having 200 across-the-board base stats is not the only way a Pokemon can be broken, and many Pokemon that have middling base stats have historically been classed as broken due to other factors. As for point B, Sableye does not "absolutely have to be used" but it fills an important niche in Stall teams that many consider atypically difficult to play against, or which unfairly disadvantages the opponent team for failing to predict and counterbuild against it, especially given that, as you said, it does not see that much use.

I think Mega sab might be the glue holding this tier together... For starters without Sab then stall becomes pretty much non existent and hazard spike HO teams will become the norm.. I don't know what we're trying to accomplish from this test and the theory that banning mega sab and Goth is going to lessen the matchup dependence of the tier is foolish to say the least(I dont play stall btw) But why is it so bad that we have good stall mons and stall is more viable then its been in years... Right now there's actually a really nice balance within oras between balance ho and stall (just look at tourney battles and the high ladder) and alot of the complaining is just from people who refuse to adapt to the changing meta..., but w/o sab klefki is borderline s rank and thats not a good thing if you want a less matchup dependent metagame

No opinion on shadow tag

Gothitelle's a bad PU Pokemon without Shadow Tag, and suddenly we're talking about banning it.
i see this statement / 'argument' a lot in these sorts of suspect threads so i thought i might just comment on it. yes gothitelle is a terrible pokemon without shadow tag. but it pretty clearly has shadow tag? so what is this argument trying to prove? it is absolutely ridiculous to argue that a pokemon would be bad without a particular trait when obviously that trait is part of the reason why it is being suspected in the first place.

Alright, I think we should all stop this one-sided argument where almost everyone is against Stall. Let's look on the other side of the spectrum, meaning let's actually hear argumenst from "filth" people like me who use stall and are "trash at Pokemon cuz they use skillless teams aka stall".

This will prolly be a long post so bear with the mini-headlines with me:

First of all, Let's address the statement "Stall is so easy to use and very skilless and has a very good matchup vs. everything!!111", meaning let's learn about stall more:

Many of us wonder, why do people use stall? Well it's because stall is basically a gamble in the stall player's favor (according to the current meta). It has its pros, but it definitely has its cons. For example, stall's biggest pro is that it lessens the quantity of times you lose to matchup, but increases the "quality" of those bad matchups. Meaning that you will lose to machups less frequently, but it also means that when really bad matchups happen, you will almost certainly lose, whereas when using offense you can play around it by overwhelming the opponent to the point where he has to sack or weaken his wincon. Another thing is that stall makes prediction easier; it is very easy to exert pressure on the opponent when you are using stall, and when the opponent is pressured, it's much easier for you to make plays. However at the same time, when using stall, one single misplay can cost you the game, whereas when using HO or bulky offense, your backup wallbreaker/sweeper can hold the team on its back in a clutch way; stall doesn't have that and neither can it do that.

Finally, yes, I do agree that Stall is easier to use than a lot of other playstyles, but at the same time building a successful, consistent stall team is much harder than it sounds. No you just don't throw chansey / goth / m-sab / skarmory or whatever, mind I remind you that Gothitelle on stall was unheard of just about 3-5 months ago.

After all what is said and done, the combination of both Mega Sableye and Gothitelle makes matchup even less and less severe, so I agree that it broken and very restrictive, to elaborate more:

Why the combination of Mega Sableye + Gothitelle is "Broken", "Uncompetitive", or "Unhealthy".

Well, you can make Goth and shadow tag whatever you want it to be, but it is in fact, really easy to beat, it's just that most people don't know how. Gothitelle's main (and massive) weakness is literally having at least one hazard up and just doubling on the most obvious switch to a mon that Gothitelle does not want to trap or lose health to (Magma Storm Heatran, Jirachi, Magnezone, etc. etc.) either because the mon itself is worthless to trick / t-wave (such as magnezone or jirachi), because there is a Pokemon much more threatning that Gothitelle has to keep its health for (Manaphy, Mega Gardevoir, etc.), or because the pokemon you switched into is one of the mighty mega pokemons. And that's of course, assuming you do not have a pursuit trapper.

However, with Mega Sableye around, it is extremely hard to get hazards up. What does this mean? It means that, as long there is no pursuit rapper, switching Goth is literally not ONLY risk-free, but also somewhat beneficial because the pokemon that goth traps (which is the mon you doubled into fearing goth) cannot double (except if shadow tag, ghost, or shed shell) on the obvious gothitelle switch, and is forced to stay in and do something, while the stall player can go to that pokemon's dedicated check. Forcing you to switch out and gaining momentum.

Now let's talk about how "obvious" a switch into gothitelle on the stall player's part. Well, it's quite obvious. Obviously (no pun intended), the extent of obviousness is dependent on the player's skill, the stall player's skill, and their previous plays throughout the match. Since stall doesn't have a 1-turn move that can turn the game upside down (aside of maybe CM on Mega Sableye, oh wow another resason to ban it!), switching out on any pokemon to your mega (or pokemon with the highest winning rate vs. gothitelle) because you predicted the gothitelle switch, is pretty risk-free and will gain you momentum. The only problem lies if the stall player stayed in predicting your switch predicting goth, but then again, that 1 turn you "wasted" will not give the opponent an enormous advantage over you because stall has nothing of the such, except hazards (which is ever-easy to remove) and CM on Mega Sableye.

The Solution

Quite simple, ban Mega Sableye, keep Shadow Tag.

Gonna quote wish killer who quoted someone from PR

"banning sab makes goth mostly unviable unless you're counterteaming someone due to the huge opportunity cost presented when using it in basically anything that isn't full blown sab stall, but banning goth doesn't change the fact that there'd still be a lot of teams that use sableye in combination with a specific, usually unrunnable, rock-weak mon or core that basically aim to win straight from team preview. wonder trio is the most obvious example of this type of team, but there are more. so, basically, from where i'm standing, banning sab takes care of everyone's worries about how "degenerate/unfair" goth is (not really my opinion but w/e) while also putting a stop to all of those matchup-oriented teams. IK it's your posting gimmick to basically defend stall super hard in every PR/OU thread but we aren't (or shouldn't be) balancing the three arbitrarily-defined "playstyles", we're (or should be) balancing the metagame in general.
Let's focus on the part where it says "banning sab makes goth mostly unviable" and "banning goth doesn't change the fact that there'd still be a lot of teams that use sableye in combination with a specific, usually unrunnable, rock-weak mon or core that basically aim to win straight from team preview".

I'm going to use some examples here:

1. ABR/Cleaner than rotom-w's stall team that uses Mega Sableye with the combination of Gothitelle. This is the epitome of what you guys are calling "broken, uncompetitive, and/or unhealthy" because it NEVER loses to matchup outside of straight counterteaming (Shed shell toge/mana + T-tar idea) and literally requires no prediction, skill, or any human intellect to use.
2. My stall team, where I use Gothitelle without the use of Mega Sableye, but instead with Mega Slowbro, something that most people will not find on stall and something, that according to people is "easily worn down" and probably will never be broken. This team is literally destroyed by any consistently good spike-stacking team that has a Manaphy or Togekiss or any good wall/stall breaker on it.
3. Googly's Stall team, where, like me, Googly uses Gothitelle without Mega Sableye, but instead with Mega Scizor, something that was never considered broken, but very healthy and never too centralizing. This team is also quite weak to hazard spam + team-specific threat such as Scizor or Mega Medicham
4. Wonder Trio, where Branflakes325 uses Mega Sableye without Gotitelle, but with Shedinja, directly relating to the idea of "sableye + specific rock weak pokemon that is usually deemed unviable but improves matchup by a lot". This team may be called trash by a lot, but it's a very well done stall team that loses to matchup so much less often than normal teams thanks to Mega Sableye + Shedinja (rock weak pokemon that makes matchup better), and guess what? It does not use gothitelle.

What happens if Mega Sableye gets banned

Aside from the obvious boom in hazard spam teams, your problem will be solved, simple. Again gonna quite wish killer

Goth is close to unviable on Balance because they need all 6 slots to not get swept by infinite things (trust me, I've tried it) and it's a huge momentum sink with a large opportunity cost on any offensive team, I've only seen one consistently successful Gothitelle offensive team and none of the matchups it presents are by any means unwinnable for a large number of reasons. People using this fucking argument have either never tried to use Goth on their balance/offense teams or just have really poor metagame/teambuilding knowledge. There isn't any doubt that Goth/Sab combined is very restrictive, but Gothitelle is far from restrictive as soon as Sableye gets banned for a lot of reasons and it'll probably be stall's only way of being both reasonably viable and "balanced" (not creating a large number of unwinnable matchups).
Without Mega Sableye, all the teams that used it, including stall, will have a much harder time in keeping hazard of the field, aka the #1 thing that beats stall. This means that running gothitelle will come with much more risk ESPECIALLY to bulkier teams like stall. People don't realize it but it is in fact because gothitelle is dead weight aside from sack fodder in a lot of matchups. However that risk that stall risks rapidly goes down thanks to the simple fact that you have Mega Sableye on the team. So meaning if m-sab gets banned Goth will have much more risk and that a lot of times the stall player will find him/her self sacking goth more than actually using it, especially against an opponent who actually knows how Gothitelle works.

Look at my team for example, like holy fuck there were tons of times that I got swept by hazards + very powerful team-specific threat such as Manaphy. The team's inability to consistently keep hazards off like that of goth+m-sab stall made the team much more vulnerable to hazard spam teams or to really any decent player that has a threat (such as manaphy, yes you can tell i fucking hate this thing) and actually knows how gothitelle works and how to counteract it.

phew, that was a lot

OK. The more I red this the more irritated I get, so I'm just going to say this and sorry if it comes off as rude:

I) This is Stall's version of M-Diancie and Magnazone. Someone was saying running shed shell on their set-up sweepers are very limiting and useless, well people
I've never complained that I have to run a shed shell on almost all of my steel types so I don't auto-lose to M-Diancie, suddenly stall runs Goth to stop Manaphy and Clefable (don't even mention Togekiss because it flinches out the competition half of the time anyhow) and suddenly people complain.

II) Claims have been made that niche sets have to be ran to outplay this. Knock Off on Clefable is perfectly fine tbh, as it removes leftovers, power herb, or scarf on Heatran switch-ins that are ever so common for Clefable to deal with and still provides a general sense of utility removing items for other teammates, and how Mega Gyrados shouldn't have to run taunt is another bad example, because it also prevents Skarmory from using Whirlwind on it as well as still preventing status, except from Scald. Newsflash, you can't have everything. Adding Mold Breaker & Toxic Excadrill here too as a good lure for bulky Ground types and it hits Sableye.

III) (This is only concerning Sableye) Hazards can't always be set Turn 1, and that is not always a bad thing. learn to play around it like stall players play around you. If you can't ever beat a common core, your team should be adapted to address that. There are plenty of ways to put enough pressure on M-Sableye all fire types pretty much get the job done, M-Lopunny hits hard, and all fairies are capable of forcing it out as well of plenty Choice Specs and Life Orb Wallbreakers such as Keldeo and Latios (who breaks through Goth anyhow).

Final Conclusion: Don't Ban Sablenite, and as far as I'm concerned Gothitele is fine too.

Also, we've suspected Shadow Tag last gen. and people let it live. Why not just get more creative building this gen.?

Last edited:
Quick note about Wobbuffet from a guy who used Wobb quite a lot.

Wobbuffet's strongest ability actually isn't his ability to revenge kill stuff, but his ability to give an opponent a temporary choice item with encore, often times multiple times per match. Unlike Goth, Wobb himself does not typically have any way to capitalize on the temporary choice item, but when paired with a powerful sweeper like M-Alt or Zard-X, wobb can often time give these mons the free turn they need to come in, set up, and start wrecking house. The more broken a sweeper is post-setup, the more powerful Wobb is.

Now obviously, there are some important distinctions between trickscarf goth and encore wobb. Wobb only temporarily cripples a mon with encore, while Goth's trickscarf is much more permanent, meaning that Wobb needs to be on a team that can effectively capitalize on the single free turn he provides (aka offense). On the other side, Wobb is quite a bit bulkier and from my experiences can revenge a wider variety of offensive mons compared to Goth. That additional bulk also allows it to encore defensive opponent's multiple times throughout the match.

Whether or not Wobb is ultimately broken is not for me to say though. In theory, he should be fine in the absence of sweepers that can wreck an entire team after a single turn of setup. However if he proves broken with M-Alt or something, then we are faced with the question of whether Alteria needs to go or if Wobb ought to go.

On principal though, I am against ability bans and prefer individual bans. If Wobb needs to go, he should be tested in a separate suspect, not this one (simply because I think we have enough on our plate in analyzing Goth and Sable, who are both very complicated pokemon, throwing yet another mon into the mix is trying to change too many things at once imo).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)