Metagame NP: RU Stage 3 - Space Song (Sigilyph Banned, Crown Tundra released)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2. :xurkitree:
173 special attack. Yes you read that right. 173. this is an absolute behemoth of a wallbreaker. Resisted hits do a third to opposing pokemon. Hell, if the opponent lacks a ground, this thing basically becomes a slower regieleki with an actual movepool. it has been called broken by quite a few people i've spoken to, and while it does seem broken, i honestly feel that's not the case, atleast for now. this is due to a couple of reasons. First of all, its not quite fast enough to consistently clean games out well without choice scarf, which ends up locking it into one move. Secondly, while it does have a movepool, said movepool is not that great. dazzling gleam, energy ball and grass knot don't exactly inspire fear when it comes to type coverage. Lastly, and what is possibly the most important reason, is that it's walled to death by ground types like steelix and nidoqueen, even specially defensive grasses to a lesser extent. These factors help to balance out it's absolutely monstrous breaking capability.
While I agree ground and grass types check xurk to no end, saying it gets countered by them is a bit of an exaggeration, considering that grass knot does a good chunk to most of them:
252 SpA Xurkitree Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Steelix: 170-200 (48 - 56.4%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Xurkitree Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Golurk: 388-458 (121.6 - 143.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Xurkitree Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nidoqueen: 124-146 (38.6 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Xurkitree Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Mudsdale: 346-408 (85.6 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
The other ground types (toad, rhyperior, quag) all get destroyed.
Mons that I have seen more often thanks to xurk are bulky dragalge, goodra with hp investment and lanturn (grass knot only is 40 bp against it and it's inmune to electric attacks). So yeah, we have plenty of options for this thing

hi this meta is really fun so im dumping my teams before it dies on the 15th

:abomasnow: :sandslash-alola: :goodra: :arctozolt: :starmie: :arctovish:
https://pokepast.es/0de026bf771602d4

i love hail. i love clicking buttons. i love ohkoing resists from full.
abomas the hail setter / secondary aveiler. i think its better on full hail cause the grass typing is p cool and gives u a switching to grounds n waters which is cool for the arctos. zolt is zolt. i use vish cause it capitalizes well on the usual switchins to zolt plus u hit just as hard vs neutrals so nice core. triple rush cause snowslash is a v nice glue and garde resist. sometimes it gets to clean cause its faster too which is nice vs opposing arctos / scarf draps. goodras a nice breaker, xurk check and lures steels in 1, starmie as a pivot and also luring waters for vish.

:pincurchin: :xurkitree: :ribombee: :hitmonlee: :swoobat: :tornadus:
https://pokepast.es/73d3747c47c93e7e

electric terrain. yes pincurchin is the worst mon i have ever used but at least it has memento. however rising voltage xurk will absolutely destroy non ground elec resists that are used to check it. cm + volt cause ur gonna need a little bit of chip for the fatter ones.
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Xurkitree Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Dragalge in Electric Terrain: 330-389 (99 - 116.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Xurkitree Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Virizion in Electric Terrain: 315-370 (97.5 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Xurkitree Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Goodra in Electric Terrain: 276-325 (85.9 - 101.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Xurkitree Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume in Electric Terrain: 430-507 (121.4 - 143.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

it does make you weaker to grounds though. ribombee exists only for webs but every mon here is sooo scary under webs like its p insane. hitmonlee kind of sucks but it lets u clean if pincurchin gets defogged on because it sucks. swoobat is unironically really fucking good. especially under webs. it takes knock like a champ and its not hard to get to +4 at all at which point you completely demolish fat as long as u don't get toxicd and finally torn is just a good pokemon

:thwackey: :sceptile: :swoobat: :slowking: :xurkitree: :porygon2:
https://pokepast.es/aba2c18c44839b86

i think thwackeys the best terrain setter we have cause it has 2 great things: prio just in case, and uturn to get the fuck out into an even better mon. sceptile is rlly cool. its deceptively fat because you literally do not need speed, u get +1 def and grassy terrain recovery. u setup on so much random shit like passimian or steelix and then recover it up with drain punch and terrain. swoobats also just good, and can wallbreak for sceptile to clean later - shit like gigalith that kills swoobat are rlly easy for sceptile to setup on. double pivot core to keep switching vs offense, plus u keep annoying with future sight + download p2. finally grassy terrain xurk is really nice to hit ground types much harder. grassy terrain means u are able to kill every single ground type in ru with minimal chip (even zydog at +0).

:indeedee-f: :starmie: :hitmonlee: :xurkitree: :porygon2: :kingdra:
https://pokepast.es/43f25cf63b230751

completing the terrain trifecta is indeedee. its a p nice mon for itself, especially with hwish to help the team out. starmies the main abuser, and specs analytic expanding force hits like a truck. like it one shots a goodra switchin. damn. it also pivots if the other team cts you and has like steelvally + scarf drapion. hitmonlee cleans those teams. xurk is the other star of the team. thanks to psychic terrain nature power becomes psychic which BONKS most of its counters. grass knot deals with most grounds, and psychic eats up spdef queen, plume, drag, and virizion. funnily enough it also lets u beat stunfisk galar LMAO. p2 pivots and annoys, and finally kingdra is another sweeper/breaker depending on the situation. it deals with teams where xurk or starmie cant outright break. the combination fo those 3 + healing wish breaks most defensive cores so hitmonlee can clean

:tyrantrum: :xurkitree: :ribombee: :decidueye: :tornadus: :arctozolt:
https://pokepast.es/b147678fad2f68da

last one i promise. this is a more standard attempt at webs and the point of this team is to break with xurk so grounds are weakened and dd tyrantrum can sweep more easily. this ones a lot more straightforward than the others.

that's it! expect some linoone teams from me once 15th drops:psysly:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, meta gets to take a major shift again in a few days as we likely get wild drops from UU, which is basically a fusion of BW and USUM OU currently. Though if you're wanting to have fun before then, here's some Pokemon I feel are actually really solid that I feel go overlooked a bit:

Golurk @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Poltergeist
- Shadow Punch
- Close Combat

Ground switch-ins are actually really hard to come by. Now, I will preface this by saying you want an extra Xurkitree check if you decide to use CB Golurk. That said, it actually does really well with Xurk as it punishes Grass types and can tank a Ground move or two. And having a way to discourage Passimian from using its best move late-game is always nice. Oh, and Slowking being unable to punish pivot comfortably into a Ground type means you have some extra merit offensively.

Dragalge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 HP / 228 SpA / 32 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Flip Turn
- Scald

I've been having a lot of fun with this one as a backup Xurkitree response. Seeing as it's a Xurk check and soft rain check, I opted for a lot more bulk with Boots. A slow Flip Turn is actually incredible in this meta as there's so many crazy strong attackers that can benefit from a slow pivot. Scald's 30% burn rate is nice, but Toxic, Toxic Spikes, and Thunderbolt I feel are all viable options over it. Toxic is an indirect way to annoy Ground types. Toxic Spikes can be very rough against certain builds, and T-Bolt crushes Mantine hoping to tank a hit and Defog.

Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic
- Outrage

Yeah, remember how I said Golurk benefits from there being limited Ground resists? Yeah, this is super strong right now. Great Speed tier, safest offensive move in the game, and good pirority to pick off anything faster. Toxic catches Slowking and Tangela, 2 of the few things that stand a chance of stalling out Thousand Arrows spam. Outrage into a Toxic'd Tangela is very uncomfortable for the Tangela player, though Earthquake is fine for when there's no more Flying types left.

Nat

is a Top Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
immediate thoughts:
-HO looks more potent than ever w/ stuff like mmq/polteageist/tales-alola/scolipede/necrozma/toxtricity/froslass. even webs in araq
-i think besides HO the number 1 thing jumping out at me is the amount of power in offensive ghosts available to us, smthn RU is unfamiliar with beyond doublade & mega-banette.
-it's good to see some returning faces in noivern/regi/doublade/tang/flygon/roserade.
-rules of the land state durant will get banned at some pt as it does every time.
-if anything stands out to me as the predict for best rn it'd be mimikyu, i think a lot of the meta could warp around it easily.
-i think w/ the amount of threats (esp ghosts) available our rockers are still going to be extremely abusable at large so we'll see how ppl want to deal with that down the road.
-lycanroc/terrak could be really crazy to wall beyond sand castle.

overall it's a pretty fresh breath of air for me and i'm sure others to just have a new playground of a tier.

With the utter chaos brought in by this second DLC cascade, the RU tier has been hit by an odd mid-month migration. And it is certainly an- "interesting" shift. The tier has received not only many solid species, but also more than a few that are- what? Why- why are you here? It may be hard to accurately predict the tier with a drop this big, but I've already committed to this project, so I might as well see it through. Just for my own sanity, I'm not really gonna go over the mons that just came back after last month because I don't really have much to say on them.

Aerodactyl: While it likely won't be able to stay RU long-term, Aerodactyl's blazing Speed does give it some niche usage in the tier. The suicide Rocks lead is still a perfectly okay option; even with Boots, Rocks are still Rocks, backed by Taunt to stop opposing leads and strong attacks like EdgeQuake. I don't think offensive sets will be as good compared to last gen since Aero lost Pursuit, but that Speed is still mighty tempting for some, especially with Dragon Dance potentially making it a fast AF late-game cleaner. Probably nothing substantial, but it's something.

Araquanid: Yes, the best Web setter (at least given how the community seems to think) is finally back, using its signature ability to throw off surprisingly meaty Liquidations. Those two moves are pretty much a must, but from there you can choose between Leech Life for secondary STAB and recovery, Toxic to whittle down foes, and Magic Coat or Substitute to block opposing status. Araquanid is still limited because of its need to run Boots, effectively giving it no recovery outside of Leech Life, which it can't always fit, which is not ideal for a defensive mon. Still, its utility and deceptive power make it a fine RU mon.

G. Articuno: Okay, Garticuno didn't do nearly as well in UU as I thought it would, but RU looks to be a bit more hospitable. It has the option of being a later-game sweeper with CM or running a strong Specs set with U-turn backed up by the incredible power of 125 SpA + Competitive, which forces any Defoggers to play around it, thereby allowing Garticuno to be useful even when it's kept in the back. Sure, offensively Gart is pretty much just STABs and Shadow Ball, but those three moves can still hit most of the tier pretty hard. It can also potentially serve as a bulkier sweeper with Boots and Recover, although stronger physical attackers can potentially prey on its only okay speed tier, so you should be careful. Maybe Hypnosis as a sleeper option, but it's Hypnosis so- yeah. Not the most game-breaking, but definitely solid.

Celebi: Celebi does have versatility on its side; you never know if it's going to be a support-centered rocker, a mid-late game Nasty Plot sweeper, a Scarf user with Healing Wish- Celebi has quite a few routes to take. The support set likes to spread status in TWave and U-turn to bring it dangerous teammates, while the NP and Scarf sets makes good use of Earth Power on top of STABs. That said, Celebi does have quite a few weaknesses- 7 in fact, including a quad weakness to U-turn. Its stats, while solid, are individually not too impressive either. Still, it's Celebi, so expect this thing to be B-rank at worst.

Chandelure: And now it’s time we get to the more- concerning inclusions brought by this shift. While not the most threatening new drop, Chandelure’s great special attack and solid STAB combo definitely packs a punch. Chandy has a variety of viable sets: it can use Boots to avoid Rocks while still packing a punch, be a Sub + CM sweeper with Boots, Lefties or LO, or be a terrifying user of Specs or Scarf with Energy Ball to smack many mons that could naturally take its STABs and Trick to cripple walls. Granted, its bulk is not invincible and there are plenty of faster mons that get the jump on it without Scarf, but you should probably be wary of this thing. Maybe ban

Cloyster:
Welp, no reason to use Blastoise as your Shell Smasher of choice anymore. Cloyster on screens HO, backed by either Grimmsnarl or Alolatales, can be a menace to take on, slicing through most of the tier with Skill Link Icicle Spear and Rock Blast, and giving the last slot to a decently strong Liquidation/Hydro Pump or priority in Ice Shard so opposing priority users can’t just play around it. Smash Cloyster has several possible items, between White Herb to maintain its naturally great Defense, Sash to live one hit or King’s Rock for gimmicky flinch action. Cloyster can also serve a less scary but still useful support role thanks to Spikes, Rapid Spin and maybe Teleport (but probably not), while still hitting decently hard thanks to Skill Link. Cloyster is held back thanks to its paltry special bulk and subpar speed pre-Smash, not to mention a Rocks weakness, but once it gets going Cloyster is rather hard to stop.

Conkeldurr: Remember when Guts Machamp proved too much for the tier? At least Machamp never took roids. Because Machamp + Roids = Conkeldurr, packing superior power and physical bulk, and even getting around its low Speed thanks to STAB priority Mach Punch. That’s not to mention how Trick Room is potentially viable with Cresselia and Diancie back, and under Room Conk basically just wins. Sure, its SpD is nothing to write home about, but that’s not too bad when basically nothing can afford to switch in on it. Probably ban

Cresselia:
The lunar legendary (no, the original one) graces the dreams of RU players once again. Cresselia is the premier TR setter of the tier now, spreading status in TWave or Toxic, healing with Moonlight and potentially saving a teammate with Lunar Dance. In its own right, Cress packs STAB Stored Power + CM, and despite low SpA can hit surprisingly hard with SE coverage. That said, the lack of initial power is the main thing holding Cress back, but its support capabilities are not to be underestimated.

Darmanitan: Let's see- okay, so Sun is still legal in this tier. And with Darmanitan and Venusaur down here, it's looking to be even better than ever. Even if Sun does get banned, though, Darm still packs nuclear STAB Sheer Force Flare Blitz and U-turns out of anything that can tank that move. Band is mighty hard to come in on, Scarf is a superb revenge killer, and Boots mean a Bulk Up set is possible (probably reserve that set for Webs, though). It’s coverage is also pretty good, packing Earthquake, Sheer Force-boosted Rock Slide, and Superpower, alongside options like Toxic to whittle down foes or even Trick to potentially take advantage of walls who can switch in like Suicune. Still, Boots sets need to beware of rocks, and lackluster defenses mean Darm is vulnerable to priority, so maybe it balances out. Maybe ban

Diancie:
Honestly, I think Diancie's looking decently well in RU this gen. Mystical Fire benefits a CM set, plus it still packs Rocks, TR and Diamond Storm to complement its solid bulk. It might have to wait a bit given how hectic things are right now, but I can see her coming to RU eventually.

Diggersby: Wow. I knew Diggersby wasn't really getting that much usage in UU, but- wow. So we all know this thing is unhealthy, right? Sure, Quick Attack isn’t the best priority in the world, but it still hits hard if you lack a Ghost type. Huge Power just makes this thing really difficult to switch in, and other than Bronzong nothing really takes both STABs that well- and Digger has coverage for Zong. After either SD or Band Digger is just so strong, and Scarf cleans house decently well. Probably ban

Doublade:
With Aegislash somehow still in UU, Doublade's drop was inevitable. While straightforward, Doublade is quite solid, having great physical bulk between 150 Def and Eviolite, and hitting decently hard after SD. It has strong priority Shadow Sneak, decent STABs and Close Combat/Sacred Sword for perfect coverage. Strong special attackers can take advantage, but they still don’t appreciate boosted Sneak. Doublade is pretty simple, but no less effective.

Durant: Not needing a second metal bug, UU cast the ant down to RU- but while I think UU can handle Durant now, I'm not so sure about RU. My main reason for thinking it okay in UU is because UU has things that sufficiently invalidate Band- other than Sucune, RU does not have those things. Its Hustle boosted power and good speed tier mean there are only a few things that can revenge without Scarf, although its special bulk is low enough that is faints to a light breeze more often than not. Maybe Ban

Entei:
Entei got three nice buffs this gen: Inner Focus blocks Intimidate, Boots preserve fire-doggo's feet and it can now freely use Extreme Speed and Flare Blitz without having to nature lock. These buffs add up to make Entei a great RU mon, a primed AoA revenge killer. That said, giving up a power-boosting item does mean it’s not overwhelming, so hopefully it can stay this gen.

Flygon: Finally where it belongs, Flygon is quite the versatile offensive threat. Its UU Scarf set proves much better here, using its decent 100 Speed to get the jump on a lot of threats (plus U-turn). Other than that, Fly also packs DDance, special and Defog support. Fly doesn’t have the best bulk, and it's not too threatening without a boost from DDance or Choice item, but it is a valuable glue mon.

Froslass: Froslass has been having a pretty good time this gen, now that Triple Axel and Poltergeist allow it to be a decently strong offensive threat on top of its classic support duties. And that sums it up in RU pretty nicely- either Band dual STAB, Shadow Sneak and Trick or HO Spikes lead with Taunt, TWave and Destiny Bond for options.

Gengar: How- how did this happen? I mean, the guys up in UU were talking about how this thing was gonna get banned a third time, but now- this. Well, could Gengar in RU work? *hm* Nasty Plot, great Scarf revenge killer, powerful Specs user, gets a lot of coverage, almost impossible to handle without priority- probably not. Probably ban

Grimmsnarl:
At long last, the screens are here. And Grimmsnarl is packing these Prankster screens to greatly benefit the current HO meta that always arises from a massive drop. Grimmsnarl can also potentially function as a niche Bulk Up sweeper, utilizing surprise and Spirit Break to catch foes off guard. Honestly, Screens might end up being overwhelming in RU, but other than that I don’t see anything too problematic. Maybe Ban

Haxorus:
Splitting the tier in half with that unwieldy head, Haxorus is yet another mon that clearly has no business being in RU. One DDance or SD + Scale Shot, and you just get swept unless RNG really loves you. Powerful coverage in CC, EQ and Poison Jab doesn’t make it any better, while Band sets hits like a truck and can also run strong priority in First Impression. Sure, it can’t always come in that well, but especially in a screens meta this thing is just scary. Probably Ban

Kyurem:
While I can maybe see Darm working out because of its mediocre defenses, that is not a concern that Kyurem has to deal with. Kyurem’s Specs set is just as hard to switch into as ever, probably harder than in the tiers above. Equally terrifying is SubRoost, which can stall out stronger attacks thanks to Pressure and bypass hazards with Boots. Unlike in UU, Rem’s speed tier is actually decent by RU standards, meaning getting that jump isn’t too difficult. Also, most of the stuff that does handle it well will probably get banned. Probably ban

Duskroc:
Rock doggo was a great mon last gen- but last gen it didn't have Close Combat and such. AoA was hard to come in on in UU, and with the lower power level of RU that becomes even more apparent. Revenge killing isn’t even a safe option since Accelerock cleaves through most faster mons. SD and Band are also options, even if they can struggle against Palossand and Geezing a bit, but prediction on choice is basically the best way to counter this thing. OF course, there is the downside that Duskroc can’t switch into anything due to low bulk, but that doesn’t stop glass cannons too often. Maybe ban

Malamar:
The ladder works in mysterious ways; after a brief, inexplicable stint in UU, Malamar is stuck waiting in RU for a bit before it can drop back down. It just doesn’t really do enough and Contrary Superpower takes a while to get going off of less than stellar Attack. Probably best to just wait it out.

Metagross: "Here in Hoenn, we pride ourselves on making a sturdy Pokemon to fill all your needs. And few are built quite as sturdy as Metagross. You need a Band user? STAB Meteor Mash, EQ and a bevy of coverage moves have got you covered. Need a rocker? With Shuca or Occa Berry, Metagross can survive quite a few dangerous attacks and still hits hard, especially with that potentially Explosion. Do you like to live dangerously? Agility + Weakness Policy can wreck your opponents like nobody’s business. We here in Hoenn pride ourselves on the mons we raise. You’re welcome ;). Metagross, made Hoenn proud”.

Mienshao: Fast offensive Fighting type with U-turn + Regen sustain, alongside solid coverage in Knock Off and Poison Jab- that is the role that defines Mienshao. It functions as quite a solid Choice user, or can potentially spec into a little bulk for RegenVest. It hits so hard, so fast that it’s a mon you should definitely prepare for, although I wouldn’t quite say it’s broken unless non-Choice sets really take off.

Mimikyu: Will RU be Mimikyu's new friend? Probably, seeing as it fits in quite nicely down here. Mimikyu is a gimmick, but a good one: get a free SD, then clean up with STABs and priority. Late-game, this thing can clean house like no one’s business. I do think it can be stopped without too much difficulty since its unboosted power isn’t too much and it really only gets one chance, but with the right support I can see it potentially being a menace. Maybe ban

Necrozma:
Necrozma has come, and it has such sights to show you. Thanks to Prism Armor, Necrozma can make good use of its versatility, setting Rocks, sweeping with DD or CM and a strong STAB that can come off of either attacking stat, and its ability even lets it make good use of Weakness Policy. Necrozma is an interesting addition in a tier where we don’t really have a lot of offensive Psychics, and its variety should make it a top contender.

A. Ninetales: And you thought Hail was questionable before? Alolatales is Hail, and unlike the two preexisting Hail setters of the tier, it actually packs a good speed tier to set Veil more reliably. Add support options like Encore and Hypnosis, alongside decently strong Freeze-Dry, and Alolatales is an ultimate support mon. It’s definitely not threatening on its own, but if Veil doesn’t go soon, Alolatales will. Maybe ban

Noivern:
So suddenly knocked off its UU roost as one of the best Pokemon, Noivern looks to replicate the same position in RU. With Boots, it serves as a fast attacker with Draco and Flamethrower, plus fast U-turn to bring it teammates and Roost for recovery. Defog is another option, as only Prankster users and Crobat pack a faster Defog, but its decent offensive presence is often too good to pass up. Granted, Noivern isn’t too strong (especially since it has to run Boots) nor bulky, but Speed can make people overlook a lot of thing.

Obstagoon: Quite a good drop for those who really hate STALL, Obstagoon is a mon that could definitely go either way. When backed by Guts, Obstagoon is fairly strong, smacking hard with Knock Off, Facade and CC. It can be used as a Bulk Up sweeper, or provide utility via Obstruct and Parting Shot. Granted, it can’t come in too much due to its abysmal defensive typing (although it does mess with Ghosts quite a bit), but with decent power and speed it is the bane of defensive cores. Given its history, that might be ban worthy, although I think the offensive meta has plenty of things to keep it in check. Maybe ban

Omastar:
A solid Swift Swim user, Omastar packs a lot of variety, able to run either Shell Smash or a reliable hazard setter. Meteor Beam finally gives it good special STAB, although it’s not something you can just slap onn, plus STAB Hydro and good coverage in Ice Beam and Earth Power. Weak Armor allows Oma to set multiple layers of spikes as a suicice lead; the ability can also be used on non-rain smashers. Still, an abysmal defensive typing means that Oma often doesn’t get much chance to shine, but is has its place.

Palossand:
Until Terrakion gets banned, Palossand is a must for any defensive team. With Rocks, recovery and status spreading in Scorching Sands, Sand can make itself quite the nuisance to anything lacking a SE attack, especially now that Pursuit isn’t around to punish it. Again, not flashy, just really damn good.

Polteageist: An all or nothing Shell Smash sweeper, Polteageist loves the current HO state of the meta. Poleteageist is a staple of screens, and also appreciates Findeedee to neuter priority. That said, it still wishes it had something to hit Dark types other than Giga Drain, and without Psychic terrain can be revenge- killed fairly easily even at +2. Polteageist requires support to function properly, but the rewards are nothing to sneeze at.

PorygonZ: Adaptability go brrr. Especially with Specs or NP, Porygon just hits super hard, while utilizing Agility or Scarf to bypass only ok speed. Probably ban

Raikou:
Raikou has a unique position as one of the few Electric types that doesn't mind the loss of HP too much thanks to the new addition of Scald to its arsenal. While nowhere near as strong as Xurkitree, Raikou's far better speed tier gives it more flexibility, the flexibility to run a CM cleaner of strong Specs user with Volt Switch. Rai also enjoys having unlocked Aura Sphere, since Fighting coverage takes on those pesky Steel types quite well.

Regigigas: Hopefully the ability to stall out turns right now lets Regigigas find a home somewhere- but it probably won't be RU. Having to waste 5 turns is still a very risky proposition, easily giving your opponent the opportunity to set and sweep you. It’s still too much of a liability in RU, and honestly I think it’ll probably only end up being PU.

Registeel:
Ah, the defensive RU Steel type. Registeel’s terrific bulk allows it to be a reliable rocker, spreading status, scouting with Protect and a single attacking move so as not to be taunt bait. Seismic Toss provides reliable damage, while the new Body Press can be handy for physically defensive variants. That said, Steel is still a defensive mon with no reliable recovery, which continues to be a thorn in its side, and its ability options are nowhere near as useful as Bronzong’s Levitate. It still manages to stand out, though, since unlike Zong it isn;t weak to Knock Off or Poltergeist. But it would really like Wish support.

Roserade: Roserade is a nice fast spiker who makes good use of Sleep Powder or Stun Spore to open up holes for its team. Its Leaf Storm and Sludge Bomb hit decently hard, even if the loss of HP leaves it floundering a bit against Steel types. Definitely won’t be as good as last gen, but still good.

Rotom-Mow: As the only Rotom-A form currently in RU, Mowtom gets a good deal of space from its fiery and watery alternatives. Here, Mowtom is the Scarfer, the Defogger, the NP sweeper et cetera (although regular Rotom is faster as a Scarfer). Mowtom does what Rotom always do.

Scolipede:
Remember Sharpedo? Now imagine Sharpedo has even better speed and Swords Dance. And stronger physical STAB. Yeah, pass. Probably ban

Scyther:
With Technician Dual Wingbeat, Scyther looks to be one of the most terrifying offensive threats in RU (that actually gets to stay). With SD, it can be a decent cleaner with moves like Knock Off, U-turn, Brick Break and Technician-boosted Quick Attack. Thanks to Boots, it can also be a reliable Defogger with STABs and Roost. Scyther also has a naturally nice speed tier, allowing it to sweep more easily. That said, Scyther is restricted since it needs Boots to bypass Rocks, meaning it will never be the strongest attacker. Still a top tier, though.

G. Slowbro: Having to compete with its brother means that Glowbro's days as a RegenVest user are probably done; however, it still has use as a CM sweeper thanks to superior physical bulk. When given a Colbur berry, Glowbro can be surprisingly resilient to many common physical attacks, and after boosting can hiit decently hard with STABs and Fire Blast, or else slap on Slack Off so it doesn’t have to switch out as often. It can also pick up Iron Defense for a late game Stored Power sweep, but obviously this shouldn’t be attempted until all Psychic resists are gone, making it less reliable than the standard CM set. Still, it is enough to differentiate itself from Glowking. Speaking of-

G. Slowking: Compared to classic Slowking, Glowking likes the extra SpA and not being weak to U-turn; it also usurps Glowbro's role as a RegenVest user thanks to slightly better power and superior special bulk, plus good coverage and not really sacrificing anything since it can't use Teleport. Eerie Spell can also be useful on a stallbreaker set with Block, although its limited PP means you can’t just spam the attack. Glowking can also see some usage on TR, either as a setter or as a NP sweeper. Still, Regenvest will likely be the standard. While its typing has some key advantages, it also grants an annoying EQ weakness, not to mention still retaining weaknesses to Dark and Ghost. Overall, a pretty solid mon.

Suicune: While I wouldn't say it's broken by any means, having Suicune in RU just feels- wrong, you know? But while it’s here, we all know what’s coming- CroCune. Both the RestTalk and SubProtect variants are just as good as ever, utilizing great defenses and Pressure to PP stall anything that can’t solidly 2HKO. Scald burns further improve its defensive prowess. To get the most out of CroCune, you generally want to invest more in physical bulk since you’re not boosting that defense (more info on Damage Calculator). Suicune makes use of the old tried and true methods to show why CroCune is one of the most famous sets in singles competitive.

Sylveon: The other top dog of UU, with an equally sudden fall as Noivern, Sylveon leverages its good bulk and decent attack to serve as a either a bulky cleric or as a serious offensive threat with CM or Specs. The cleric set is stalwart on the special side, passing Wish and sometimes utilizing Heal Bell; even on a defensive variant, Pixilate Hyper Voice still hits decently hard against many key threats. As for offensive Sylveon, CM invests physically and uses Psyshock to get around Poison types, alongside Substitute for protection or Mystical Fire for anti-Steel coverage. Mystical Fire also joins Hyper Voice and Psyshock, alongside Shadow Ball, on Specs to provide a threat that can be surprisingly difficult to switch into unless you guess right. Of course, low physical defenses means many offensive mons can get past it without too much hassle, although many of them can’t come in directly. No matter which set you run, though, Sylveon is just overall great.

Talonflame: So, what's changed since gen 7, when Talonflame was too much for RU? Talonflame can ignore Rocks now. Sure, power creep, but offensive threats are going to be a nightmare late game. Maybe ban

Tangrowth:
Another mon that, while not broken, frankly has no business being this low in the tiering rung. Tangrowth is very flexible as a defensive mon, able to go either physically defensive with Rocky Helmet to be a thorn for all manner of physical threats, while AV hinges on mixed bulk and Regenerator to sustain no matter what offensive threat it faces. As for moves, Giga Drain and Knock Off are musts, and from there you have your choice of Sleep Powder for utility (Helmet only), Leech Seed to slowly whittle down opponents (Helmet only), Sludge Bomb to fish for poison, and EQ or Focus Blast for anti-Steel coverage. It’ll probably rise back up naturally, but enjoy it while it’s here.

Terrakion: Do I even need to explain why Terrakion is too much? Probably ban

Thundurus:
Between a great Speed tier, the ability to surpass Rocks now and NP, Thundurus is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Granted, the loss of HP is a pain, but Grass Knot, Sludge Bomb/Wave and Weather Ball (rain) allow it to smack everything HP Ice allowed, albeit not all at once. Of course, NP is far from the only set; Specs or Scarf allow Thundy to be a great speedy cleaner with Volt Switch, it can make good use of physical sets thanks to solid attack and Defiant, alongside good coverage/utility in Superpower, Knock Off and U-turn, and or go fast support utilizing the interesting Prankster Defog and TWave (any dark types who would stand in your way get smacked by Superpower or Focus Blast). This level of versatility makes Thundy nigh impossible to reliably counter, and so I see him as easily a bit much for the tier. Probably ban

Togekiss:
Flinch hax go brrr. Togekiss brings that annoying Serene Grace Air Slash to the table, allowing to be a great support mon with TWave, Heal Bell and Defog as options, plus Boots to ignore rocks. Its power and movepool also allow it to serve as either a NP sweeper with Flamethrower or Aura Sphere as a second attack, or even a Scarf user with Trick to cripple walls. What can I say? The omelet packs a lot of versatility.

Toxtricity: While UU is just too fast for Toxtricity now, RU looks to be far more inviting. Specs + Punk Rock make STAB Overdrive and Boomburst pretty hard to switch into, alongside Volt Switch for pivoting and secondary Poison STAB. Still, that set might not be the best with all the faster ban-worthy threats here- which is where Shift Gear comes in. This move allows Tox to bypass mediocre speed and really make the most of its attacks with LO or Throat Spray. Granted, there’s quite a few Electric types to compete with, such as Xurkitree, Raikou and Thundurus, but since some of those will probably get banned, I don’t see why Tox can’t make it.

Tsareena: Tsareena may not be flashy, but it serves as a decent Rapid Spinner nonetheless. Its 120 Attack stat allows it to hit decently hard with STAB Power Whip, and it packs additional utility with KnockTurn, Knock Off especially helping against Ghosts seeking to block its spin. Still, it’s not the bulkiest and its speed is initially awkward, so don;t expect it to light up the tier or anything.

Uxie: While largely outclassed by Cresselia and Necrozma, Uxie does find a few niche reasons for use in RU. This mainly comes from its combo of Rocks and Memento, allowing great role compression as a suicude TR setter; however, both Cresselia and Diancie are far more reliable as TR setters. It does also pack utility in KnockTurn and Heal Bell; and that’s good, because this thing is not winning any favors offensively. Cress is overall better, but if you squint you can find some reasons to use Uxie.

Venusaur: Here comes the sun. Here comes the sun. And it's- not alright considering that Chlorophyll Venusaur looks ready to grow all over the tier. Especially with Darm as a partner, Venu looks to clean through the tier with STABs and Weather Ball, alongside your choice of Earth Power, Growth, Sleep Powder and Knock Off, depending on what you need most. I’d say we should be wary of Sun, but honestly I don’t think Sun is too bad without Darm and Venu. Still, if Sun does leave Venu will probably be fine. Maybe ban

G. Weezing:
With the HO influx, defensive teams appreciate all the help they can get, and Geezing is a very big get for them. With great Defense, a Toxic immunity and Levitate, Geezing automatically has a lot going for it as a defensive mon, and that’s before you get into the movepool; options like Toxic Spikes, Defog, Aromatherapy and Pain Split complement dual STAB and Fire Blast/Flamethrower quite nicely, giving a decent amount of depth to Geezing’s game. Neutralizing Gas is also potentially viable for counteracting dangerous offensive abilities, although Levitate is generally more useful. Still, Geezing does have one weakness, being a defensive mon with limited recovery options.

Zarude:
Zarude storms in (ha.) to be a decently fast and strong offensive threat. It’s movepool allow it to be a great user of Band or Scarf, along with a potential Bulk Up set. Power Whip is an important STAB, and CC and U-turn are also must haves; your last slot will be Darkest Lariat for additional STAB, Rock Slide for anti-Flying coverage or Bulk Up if you run that set. Compared to Mienshao, I think it’s a bit more manageable due to far more weaknesses and not resisting Rocks.

That’s all for now. Some of this stuff will probably be wrong as always, but regardless I’m interested in seeing how RU handles some of these threats. Welp, look forward to seeing y’all when the tier is playable again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)