Metagame NP: RU Stage 6 - I wanna be your dog (Light Clay banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Light Clay was banned by council vote, read the discussion here.

So one of the more potent play styles (screens rofl) in the tier has been nerfed. I'm not sure how much the metagame will change, as there are still a few mons that can do so much under regular screens like Necrozma and Polteageist, but at least we've managed to make it easier not to get set up on 4 times in a game.

Nothing much to say, I feel like the core meta stays, which is clicker Volt Turn, but at least we have something going on. Would love to read discussion on the latest tier development.

alr ill give my thoughts on the post light clay meta why not

HYPER OFFENSE: though not as controversial as it was pre-light clay, hyper offense continues to be a viable playstyle with sticky webs turning into the main enabler over screens. pokemon like ribombee have seen a major uptick in viability because of their ability to keep webs on field and support the sweepers. Of course, Galarian Weezing continues to be an invaluable asset for HO with its fantastic toolkit, preventing status conditions with misty surge and providing ample opportunities to setup after using memento or misty explosion.

:polteageist: speaking of hyper offense, teapot is awesome right now. A new tech in Strength Sap+Cursed Body allows it to beat Zarude, the bane of its existence and even Incineroar (provided misty terrain is up). beating its 2 most widely-used checks basically means that teapot is able to go fully ballistic on the rest of the meta after just one shell smash, meaning that it's giving Cloyster competition for main Shell Smasher on Hyper Offense teams now.

:golurk: Lets keep the ghost type talk going, shall we? Yeah Golurk is a monster right now, dishing out ridiculous damage, courtesy of its high attack (further bolstered by items such as choice band) and fantastic STAB moves in Poltergeist and Earthquake. Even pokemon that resist its stab combo get blasted by its excellent coverage in close combat, dynamic punch, the elemental punches, or even shadow punch in case itemless shenanigans occur. However, it is held back by its poor speed, leaving it outsped and revengekilled quite easily. However, the sheer damage potential it has grants it a place on many a team.

:raikou: RU has been the tier of electrics for a while now and Raikou is a major frontrunner for best electric type in the tier. it's blazing fast, only being outsped by the fast pivots (noivern, crobat and to a lesser extent, talonflame) and niche pokemon like salazzle, and hits extremely hard as well. its pivoting capabilities are quite appreciated in a volturn meta, and it can still run toxic to cripple checks like gastrodon and seismitoad, and extrasensory is now being used as well due to the presence of roserade in the tier. easily a top 5 mon currently

:xurkitree: yeah no xurk is popping off rn because of a very different set to what it ran originally. boots xurk is a phenomenal breaker and pivot, taking advantage of the fact that most of its checks are quite slow to blast them with a coverage move, even if the user predicted wrongly. An added benefit of using Heavy Duty Boots is that it increasing xurkitree's longevity by making it immune to hazard damage, meaning it can still pull of sweeps late game provided faster mons are out of the field.

:crobat: crobat has definitely gotten better over the course of the meta and is no longer just a bad noivern. With the increase in roserade usage and toxic spam, crobat functions well as fast pivot, checking roserade far better than its competition and gaining momentum with u-turn. it's also a great check to mienshao and heracross by virtue of its poison/flying typing and has truly risen up to be a great fast pivot.

OVERALL THOUGHTS ON META
As it stands, RarelyUsed is a very top-heavy meta, in the sense that most Mid-to low tier pokemon's jobs are just done much better by those in high tiers, leaving a smaller niche for innovation, though it is still possible to do so. Volturn Offense still feels like the best option to use in the metagame, followed by hyper offense, which despite being nerfed by the light clay ban has still managed to retain a solid position in the metagame. However, this is not to say that these are the only two viable playstyles in the tier right now. In fact every playstyle barring stall has a spot in the metagame and all of them can be used somewhat successfully at the very least. even stall just requires a good unaware user to once again return to being usable.

thats all from bye

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Well, for now the metagame seems to be fine but...
Screenshot_2021-06-08-14-00-17_kindlephoto-1069372029.png

Given the usage of Zarude and Rhyperior in UU across the last two months it is very likely that the two will leave RU next month. Although the previous survey suggests that people believe them to be healthy at the moment, do you think your opinion on Togekiss and the Electric-types could change without them in the tier?

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Given the usage of Zarude and Rhyperior in UU across the last two months it is very likely that the two will leave RU next month. Although the previous survey suggests that people believe them to be healthy at the moment, do you think your opinion on Togekiss and the Electric-types could change without them in the tier?
I don't think my opinion on Electric-types will change. Zarude leaving makes Celebi more viable, and it's an even better check to the electrics than Zarude was due to its lack of weakness to Aura Sphere / Dazzling Gleam. Additionally, using Rhyperior as one's Electric check has always been quite iffy since both Raikou and Xurkitree run coverage moves that hit it 4x SE. We will still have many of our best electric checks, such as Gastrodon, Roserade, and AV Reuniclus.

About Togekiss: I'll miss Rhyperior :pirate: but it leaving prob moreso has the effect of reducing diversity in the types used to check Kiss, necessitating Steel or Electric-type answers (and thus making it a bit harder to use an offensive Steel and still be able to safely switch into NP Kiss). Alternatively, Diancie usage could go up in its place (though Diamond Storm hits Kiss a lot less hard than Rhyperior's Stone Edge did, so it's possible for Kiss to stall it out of those).

Considering the Electric-types could beat Zarude and Rhyperior pretty easily I think not.
:ss/Togekiss:
Togekiss would lose one of its most splashable checks in Rhyperior. Togekiss still has other checks like Stakataka and Diancie but losing Rhyperior is especially notable as without Grass Knot or Water Pulse you can struggle to get past Rhyperior and those moves really were just to be able to hit Rhyperior. Togekiss should have less coverage issues 3 attack sets and Nasty Plot do look to improve a bit from this. Yes Zarude would be gone for Togekiss to check but Zarude often got to take advantage of Togekiss with U-turn anyways so i don't think this is that impactful.

:ss/Rhyperior:
Rhyperior is pretty impossible to replicate outside Rhydon who is obviously much worse. Swords Dance, its coverage and offensive presence Rhyperior is pretty hard to swap into without a Milotic, defensive Flygon, or a few other Pokémon like Bronzong. Rhyperior even had some variety in its sets if it did not need to be the Stealth Rock setter. It could run Protect Toxic, Toxic, SD 3 attacks, Substitute, and the bad Choice Band set.

:ss/Diancie: :ss/stakataka:
If Rhyperior leaves i do expect these to get better. Losing one of its biggest competitors should make Diancie and Stakataka better pretty simple.
(though Diamond Storm hits Kiss a lot less hard than Rhyperior's Stone Edge did, so it's possible for Kiss to stall it out of those).
Diancie loses to Togekiss without Toxic so you'll either want to have another Togekiss check with it or Stealth Rock setter to afford Heal Bell just thought i should mention that.

:ss/Gastrodon: :ss/Steelix: :ss/Flygon:
Of course Diancie and Stakataka aren't electric types so they can't take the role of volt blocker we still have plenty of options for that though.

:ss/Zarude:
Zarude is extremely impactful on the metagame but has the most clear replacements if it goes. Celebi, Roserade, Dhelmise can all act as Grass-types that should get better with Zarude gone.

:ss/Celebi:
The most obvious Zarude replacement as its also a Grass-type pivot that absorbs status. I do think if your using Celebi with only one attack that attack should be Leaf blade because losing to CM Raikou and Suicune sucks. Celebi isn't that good at keeping rocks up so it does not need to act as the Stealth Rocks setter so it has many other options Thunder Wave cripples swap ins, Perish Song and Swords Dance can check CM Reuniclus. Of course Celebi has its Nasty Plot sets though those face coverage issues but they can still work. I would think Recover 2 coverage moves and Nasty Plot be best for this set Recover is just too important on many teams i feel.

Celebi @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Recover
Lives Mienshao U-turn

:ss/Dhelmise:
One of Dhelmise's best offensive checks in Zarude goes and one of its competition sounds like a win win. One thing that does hurt a little is Rhyperior leaving as Dhelmise was a pretty good Rhyperior check.

:ss/Roserade:
The second best Grass in the tier losing its competition sounds good to me.

:ss/Vileplume:
This pokemon probably gets worse as one of the pokemon it was best at countering Zarude is leaving and another Pokémon it checked Rhyperior is also leaving.

:ss/Suicune:
I do think Suicune will get a bit better not much because a lot of the metagame still threatens and checks it.

Last edited:
Let's talk about Volcanion for a minute -

Steamy Boi (Sample Specs Set)

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb​

- Fire / Water is a wonderful offensive STAB combo right now, nailing threats like Chandelure, Cobalion, Darmanitan, Doublade, Heracross, Incineroar, Klefki, A-Marowak, Metagross, Registeel, Rhypherior, Roserade, Stakataka, Steelix, and Zarude for Super Effective damage.
- Fire / Water is actually a blessing defensively, as, despite the Rock / Ground / Electric weakness, it's more than made up for by resistances to Bug, Steel, Ice, Fairy, 4x resistance to Fire, and a Water immunity courtesy of Water Absorb.
- 80 / 120 / 90 Defenses are overall great, especially on the physical side which is useful for counteracting the Defensive pitfalls of being part Fire-type.
- 130 Special Attack is monstrous, and you can also surprise players with Volcanion's criminally neglected but VERY useful 110 Attack stat.
- Volcanion's movepool is far more expansive than the examples I've listed in the sample set, and can fit many different team archetypes.

Offensive options not listed in the sample set include - Body Press, Brick Break, Earthquake, Explosion, Flame Charge, Flare Blitz, Flamethrower, Flash Cannon, Focus Blast, Heat Crash, Heat Wave, Heavy Slam, Hydro Pump, Liquidation, Overheat, Rock Slide, Scald, Scorching Sands, Sludge Wave, Stone Edge and Superpower.
Support options include - Defog, Haze, Protect, Roar, Substitute, Toxic, and Will-O-Wisp.

- Unparalleled additional coverage compared to both other Water and Fighting types in the tier as listed above, Volcanion can be teched to meet specific team needs.

Let's give Volcanion some more love, as I feel he's being ignored a little bit right now.

A weird thing about metagames: a tech that might not be the best in a vacuum is sometimes viable in the ecosystem of a particular meta.

I say this because, while Special Flygon is normally a meme at best, I had a lot of luck yesterday mashing up a couple of ideas from the Flygon entries in the "Next Best Thing" thread:
:Flygon:
Flygon @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Toxic/U-Turn

Nohtori posted a Special Attacking lure that relies on Boomburst + Throat Spray to take out some common Flygon checks in Gastro/Toad/Vileplume.

Expulso posted an Expert Belt set that runs Adamant to replicate some of the power of Band while maintaining flexibility.

Turns out, with the tier as constructed, you don't really need that Throat Spray boost, you just need to be willing to work your role! In RU right now, most of the things that want to wall standard Flygon *and* most of the things that Flygon wants to check favor PhysDef over SpDef. Similarly to Expulso's set, Modest + Expert Belt gives just enough power boost to push things over the edge while letting you spoof a Choice set against teams carrying one or more standard Flygon checks. Spam Toxic/U-Turn just like you would with Scarf/Band until you get a matchup that you want, then give your opponent a truly bad day by revealing that you're special. Continue feigning Specs if necessary/possible to keep the matchup fishing going.

One more time for those in the back, this set is really only viable because of how RU tends to run right now. I'm not sure I'd even try it in NU while Flygon is still around down there because it's so much less effective against Copperajah, Mow-tom, Talonflame, and others. But in RU, there are very, very few viable mons that Jolly (or even Adamant) EQ OHKOs or 2HKOs that this set doesn't doesn't, and this set even picks up a couple of clutch KOs that the physical attacking variant can't:
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 367-434 (113.6 - 134.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cobalion: 218-260 (67.4 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Raikou: 281-331 (87.5 - 103.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 348-410 (108.4 - 127.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Incineroar: 223-262 (56.5 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

vs
-1 252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Incineroar: 200-236 (50.7 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 305-362 (101.3 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross: 218-258 (72.4 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 243-286 (55.9 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 163-193 (37.5 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcanion: 305-360 (101.3 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 236-278 (78.4 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 248+ SpD Diancie: 154-182 (50.8 - 60%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Diancie: 192-228 (63.3 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 154-182 (42.3 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 192-228 (52.7 - 62.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Stakataka: 403-475 (123.6 - 145.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Stakataka: 280-336 (85.8 - 103%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 240+ SpD Klefki: 223-266 (70.1 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Klefki: 296-350 (93 - 110%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Steelix: 262-312 (74 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 150-176 (42.3 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dragalge: 238-281 (71.2 - 84.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragalge: 300-354 (89.8 - 105.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyrantrum: 427-504 (140 - 165.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 236-278 (77.3 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Weezing-Galar (non-levitate) : 374-442 (111.9 - 132.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing-Galar (non-levitate): 174-206 (52 - 61.6%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Arctozolt: 374-442 (116.5 - 137.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arctozolt: 300-354 (93.4 - 110.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 326-389 (104.4 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 128-152 (39.7 - 47.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Guaranteed OHKO by either:
Xurkitree, Chandelure, Stakataka, Toxtricity, Darm, Salazzle, Lucario, Toxicroak,
And that's just through the B-ranks because I'm technically supposed to be working right now. Combined with not fearing Burns or Intimidate, you're honestly a more reliable ground-type breaker! If this was all you wanted to do, you could even run Timid Scarf and not give up too much over standard Flygon spreads -- though the weaker U-Turn really hurts its value as a pivot. But where this set shines is in its ability to unexpectedly chunk/counter thing that standard Flygon can't:
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gastrodon: 370-437 (86.8 - 102.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heracross: 240-283 (79.7 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after burn damage
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4- SpD Cloyster: 322-379 (133.6 - 157.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(you only die to Ice Shard from full 6% of the time if they run it)
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Fire Blast vs. 176 HP / 0 SpD Dhelmise: 250-295 (76.9 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 398-470 (96.1 - 113.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Vileplume: 247-293 (69.7 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Flygon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Fluffy Bewear: 286-338 (75 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Bronzong: 202-238 (59.7 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 185-218 (57.2 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You gain a lot of versatility by swapping out your Rock and/or Dragon coverage for fire and grass! You only really lose coverage on Flyers, and Togekiss, Crobat, etc are generally better handled by other teammates, anyway.

Is this set better than standard Scarf or Defog sets? No. The pivoting ability and defensive utility of those sets are way more useful in general...but if you don't mind filling those roles with other 'mons, this set absolutely is waaaay more viable than I expected. I'll def share some replays if it stays effective as I work my way up the ladder.

Last edited:
A weird thing about metagames: a tech that might not be the best in a vacuum is sometimes viable in the ecosystem of a particular meta.

I say this because, while Special Flygon is normally a meme at best, I had a lot of luck yesterday mashing up a couple of ideas from the Flygon entries in the "Next Best Thing" thread:
:Flygon:
Flygon @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Toxic/U-Turn

Nohtori posted a Special Attacking lure that relies on Boomburst + Throat Spray to take out some common Flygon checks in Gastro/Toad/Vileplume.

Expulso posted an Expert Belt set that runs Adamant to replicate some of the power of Band while maintaining flexibility.

Turns out, with the tier as constructed, you don't really need that Throat Spray boost, you just need to be willing to work your role! In RU right now, most of the things that want to wall standard Flygon *and* most of the things that Flygon wants to check favor PhysDef over SpDef. Similarly to Expulso's set, Modest + Expert Belt gives just enough power boost to push things over the edge while letting you spoof a Choice set against teams carrying one or more standard Flygon checks. Spam Toxic/U-Turn just like you would with Scarf/Band until you get a matchup that you want, then give your opponent a truly bad day by revealing that you're special. Continue feigning Specs if necessary/possible to keep the matchup fishing going.

One more time for those in the back, this set is really only viable because of how RU tends to run right now. I'm not sure I'd even try it in NU while Flygon is still around down there because it's so much less effective against Copperajah, Mow-tom, Talonflame, and others. But in RU, there are very, very few viable mons that Jolly (or even Adamant) EQ OHKOs or 2HKOs that this set doesn't doesn't, and this set even picks up a couple of clutch KOs that the physical attacking variant can't:
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 367-434 (113.6 - 134.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cobalion: 218-260 (67.4 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Raikou: 281-331 (87.5 - 103.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 348-410 (108.4 - 127.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Incineroar: 223-262 (56.5 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

vs
-1 252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Incineroar: 200-236 (50.7 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 305-362 (101.3 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross: 218-258 (72.4 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 243-286 (55.9 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 163-193 (37.5 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcanion: 305-360 (101.3 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 236-278 (78.4 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 248+ SpD Diancie: 154-182 (50.8 - 60%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Diancie: 192-228 (63.3 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 154-182 (42.3 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 192-228 (52.7 - 62.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Stakataka: 403-475 (123.6 - 145.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Stakataka: 280-336 (85.8 - 103%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 240+ SpD Klefki: 223-266 (70.1 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Klefki: 296-350 (93 - 110%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Steelix: 262-312 (74 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 150-176 (42.3 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dragalge: 238-281 (71.2 - 84.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragalge: 300-354 (89.8 - 105.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyrantrum: 427-504 (140 - 165.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 236-278 (77.3 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Weezing-Galar (non-levitate) : 374-442 (111.9 - 132.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing-Galar (non-levitate): 174-206 (52 - 61.6%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Arctozolt: 374-442 (116.5 - 137.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arctozolt: 300-354 (93.4 - 110.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Earth Power vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 326-389 (104.4 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs
252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 128-152 (39.7 - 47.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Guaranteed OHKO by either:
Xurkitree, Chandelure, Stakataka, Toxtricity, Darm, Salazzle, Lucario, Toxicroak,
And that's just through the B-ranks because I'm technically supposed to be working right now. Combined with not fearing Burns or Intimidate, you're honestly a more reliable ground-type breaker! If this was all you wanted to do, you could even run Timid Scarf and not give up too much over standard Flygon spreads -- though the weaker U-Turn really hurts its value as a pivot. But where this set shines is in its ability to unexpectedly chunk/counter thing that standard Flygon can't:
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gastrodon: 370-437 (86.8 - 102.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heracross: 240-283 (79.7 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after burn damage
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4- SpD Cloyster: 322-379 (133.6 - 157.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(you only die to Ice Shard from full 6% of the time if they run it)
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Fire Blast vs. 176 HP / 0 SpD Dhelmise: 250-295 (76.9 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 398-470 (96.1 - 113.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Vileplume: 247-293 (69.7 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Flygon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Fluffy Bewear: 286-338 (75 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Bronzong: 202-238 (59.7 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Expert Belt Flygon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 185-218 (57.2 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You gain a lot of versatility by swapping out your Rock and/or Dragon coverage for fire and grass! You only really lose coverage on Flyers, and Togekiss, Crobat, etc are generally better handled by other teammates, anyway.

Is this set better than standard Scarf or Defog sets? No. The pivoting ability and defensive utility of those sets are way more useful in general...but if you don't mind filling those roles with other 'mons, this set absolutely is waaaay more viable than I expected. I'll def share some replays if it stays effective as I work my way up the ladder.
Yeah if you're going to pivot, you need to be able to hit with boosted damage any time you come in. I like this set but I personally would never consider Toxic on it. Use U-turn alongside Spikes support.

Edit: I also really love the ability to bluff your item as something else at least until you get a surprise KO. Very fun alternative to Life Orb, especially if you pivot out against things that are slower than you, you can bluff Scarf and influence moves throughout a lot of the game. ^^

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tier shifts!

Slowbro-Galar moved from RUBL to UU
Thundurus moved from RUBL to UU
Zygarde-10% moved from RUBL to UU
Rhyperior moved from RU to UU
Zarude moved from RU to UU

Ninetales-Alola moved from UU to RU
Quagsire moved from UU to PU

Lost two big ones in Zarude (2nd most used mon in the tier) and Rhyperior (solid pokemon). And gained light clay-less Ninetales-a and Quagsire. Both of which probably have some kind of niche on off meta teams (try to make screens offense work still / hail, stall respectively). But probably won't be huge staples. Though I could see some cool uses for Ninetales-a on a regular offense team or like a 2 mon hail core on a BO team or something. But yeah, should be cool to see what grasses rise to fill Zarude's spot, and how the electrics do in this meta with one less volt immune and no Zarude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)