Metagame np: SS DOU Stage 7: Waterloo | Urshifu-R Remains DOU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished getting my reqs and decided to drop my two cents in this thread.
In my opinion stacking the ability to ignore protect and to always crit with a powerful stab on a mon with already good stats makes urshifu incredibly degenerate and I will be voting to ban it.
My main issue with it is its ability to completely bypass such a fundamental mechanic of doubles play as protect+reposition, getting rid of one of the main ways one avoids getting steamrolled when playing at a speed disdvantage, meaning that many games played against urshi basically devolve into "I'd better match their tailwind/fake out or I'm sacking at least two mons here". This is compounded by the fact that thanks to its stab combo urshi single-handedly invalidates two of the most prominent semiroom setters (diancie and p2), thus making what would have been another good counter to tailwind offense almost unviable.
Ignoring protect per se would not be an issue if urshi had solid switch-ins capable of coming in and stopping it from going crazy, however the list of (viable) things that can switch in on it is limited to amoonguss and fini, both of which are huge momentum saps that get pressured super easily by the other mons commonly partnered with urshifu and fail to make much meaningful progress anyway.
I've also seen people argue that urshi is a healthy presence in the meta because it punishes setup by breaking the protect+switch in a fake out mon into fake out+setup move cycle, however to me this sounds more like broken checking (potentially) broken than a real healthy presence. If we get rid of urshi and setup becomes unmanageable we will deal with that by banning the problematic elements, we don't need to keep something as stupid as urshifu in the tier because we're scared something currently checked by it might get out of hand.

TL;DR
Ban durshifu

I have been fairly indifferent as to whether or not Urshifu was broken or not, but I think I might even go as far as to say that Urshifu Rapid-Strikes is healthy. This is because for the most part the cycle of Protect into positioning with Fake Out or Intimidate gets broken by Urshifu. This gives a different type of response to set up outside of stat reduction and Trick Room speed control.

The craziest thing is how much it invalidates Landorus-T, but Landorus-T is already invalidated by most of the metagame. I mostly feel like it's to the point where Urshifu isn't a Pokemon you can neglect, but that goes for every good Pokemon.

It's still possible to invest in bulk and to get value out of it and to build teams that can pull that off, it's just that those teams need to also have some fast Pokemon or especially powerful priority, and that isn't an unreasonable ask. Urshifu/Zygarde/Kartana/Rillaboom is powerful now, and it's probably going to stay a Tier 1 Core, but the metagame will continue to adapt, and we'll have some different checks come up that can handle those combinations. The whole meta isn't a mirror match there, and the mirror continues to be optimized in different ways to keep the matchup interesting.

I'm strongly leaning toward voting no ban.

ETA: Urshifu for the most part only sequences once or twice effectively outside of being used as a pivot or to force something specific out. That's generally healthy.
I respect your opinion, but I cannot agree; you're pretty much saying everyone should run hyper offense. If that's the only way to win, I can only take it as a sign that something is seriously wrong. As was stated earlier, it's been two months since Z Strats' team made its debut, and no answer to it has been found. What possesses you to think that the metagame will adapt when any "adaptation" just winds up being more offensive teams??? There's only so much adapting that can be done when a mon or core (in this case, Urshifu/Kartana/Zygarde) pretty much makes it such that hyper offense is the only thing that is viable if you want to consistently win. That's not healthy. And Urshifu is the root of the problem thanks to Unseen Fist making it a low risk, high reward mon. Protect is mandatory for a good doubles team due to most strategies revolving around it, and rendering that unviable means that defensive maneuvering is useless. Making matters worse, Urshifu itself has no good switchins, as the only mons that can come in on it just get overwhelmed easily by its common partners. So let's try offense! Problem with that is that Tailwind exists, and one of Urshifu's common partners learns it. The result? An arms race where games boil down to who can get an advantage with Tailwind and win with their broken Pokemon first. Case in point: the 3 games Emma posted featuring zeefable and Yoda. Zeefable gets DESTROYED by hyper offense in game 1, and games 2 and 3 end up being offense mirrors. In the latter two, zeefable gets the early momentum, after which it's game over for Yoda.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I feel a lot of the discussion about Ursihfu here is, though not completely incorrect, is overexaggerated.

Urshifu when looked at by itself is clearly not broken. Before HO boomed in usage since Meteor Beam Necro was introduced, we've managed to keep Urshifu in check without major difficulties. It has many checks on a 1v1 setting: Rillaboom, Fini, Amoongus, Kartana, Electric-types, Necrozma, and faster Pokemon that target its lower Special defence like Dragapult. By itself, its mechanic of ignoring Protect isn't a major issue.

The greater issue is when considering it alongside other its teammates. Yes there are Pokemon that can tank a CB Surging Strikes and Close Combat, but not many. This isn't new; we have other Pokemon in the metagame that can blow big holes in the opposing team that are difficulty to check like Galarian Zapdos and Scope Lens Kartana. Due to ignoring Protect, however, it's much easier to smash through the opponent. When paired alongside its teammates, this lets you to do things like:
  • Force a switch to keep yourself safe from Urshifu. However, this also exposes you to Urshifu's teammates. The pressure that Urshifu poses, in combination to that from its partner (with common hard-hitting partners with spread attacks including Zygarde, Heatran, and Necromza), is immense. This is comparable to Future Sight in OU used to pin down threats. I mention the spread users because this generally means little prediction on the Urshifu's user - often you don't even need to predict a switch and can simply use whatever move the target is vulnerable to from Urshifu since very few things can comfortably take both that hit and the spread attack. If you don't switch, you take Urshifu's unresisted attack
  • Ignoring Protect makes it harder to stall out Tailwind or Trick Room, which means you can keep up the offensive pressure and get more mileage from these moves than you normally would.
  • Punish or discourage passive play (Protect, switching) that is normally used to keep Pokemon in check, which in turn makes it harder to check Urshifu's offensive teammates, particularly alongside it.
The question I feel is whether this pressure is sufficient to consider the Pokemon broken or not.

The extent of this pressure extent on the metagame, however, is exaggerated. In Doubles, Stall teams are practically unviable, and defensive teams were always uncommon. Doubles has always been filled with mostly balance and offensive teams. With Urshifu, we have seen a shift from balance/offence to offence/HO teams being predominant in the metagame (I say offence/HO earnestly, as there are still some good offence teams, and some of the team small changes to the HO team like using AV Rilla instead of Eject Rilla arguably turn the team from HO to non-hyper offence). Calling Incineroar and Landorus-T borderline viable due to Urshifu. Incineroar is still very viable including against HO teams - against Z Strats team, it's very useful against Grass spam, and can also be used to weaken Zeroara, as a switch in against Heatran's Fire-type attacks, and potentially to soften Zygarde's damage (though think twice about using it against Zygarde for an obvious reason and whether it's worth losing a chunk of Incineroar's health to protect your partner). Kartana bypassing Intimidate doesn't really Incineroar since it resists it. Lando-T has suffered in this metagame even without the influence of Urshifu and still won't be great even if Urshifu is removed.

Whether the shift from balance/offence to offence/HO teams is problematic is, imo, a matter of preference. Eliminating balance as a viable playstyle is another issue, but it is also a false one. Balance, though less common and less straight forward to teambuild, is still viable. We have seen some balance teams already. I used a balance team to get reqs without Urshifu to see if Urshifu could be handled with such a team (and features Incineroar and Fini which have gotten a lot of hate recently). Less straight forward to teambuilding balance I feel is an important point here. Lots of people here copy other people's teams for matches and commonly use, at most, only a few small changes. Many of the old balance teams struggled with the newer HO teams. Many people used HO teams of their own, often with small changes to help with the mirror changes, since it was easier to fight fire with fire than to use an older non-HO offence team or teambuild a new balance team that could check it.

I still feel there is unexplored counterplay. I adopted Webs into my team. Though I had started toying around with it before seeing these two offensive teams with Webs, they were motivation to adapt it into a balance team. HO teams are very Webs-weak, so I added it to a balance team to check HO. It kills HO teams since they are so reliant on Speed, and under Webs, even relatively slow Pokemon can outspeed the majority of HO teams. This denies HO teams much of the momentum they rely upon, as well as makes them much easier to play around. For example, Incineroar ican now outrun Kartana and escape Urshifu with Parting Shot (and a Rillaboom switch-in can withstand a Close Combat and Kartana's Leaf Blade or Zygarde's CB Thousand Arrows). (Sadly I only have one replay against a relatively stereotypical HO team, and the opponent not using Eruption/Heat Wave was crutch, though I did mispredict that the opponent didn't have TR on team preview). It's not just a HO check though; the highly grounded metagame and relative lack of checks like TR, Defiant/Competitive/Contrary mons and Defog makes it very effective. We've also seen more discussion on Lilligant recently which is another potential HO check that fits well onto balance teams.

My position has changed on Urshifu since the suspect test where I now feel it's a Tier 1 threat instead of Tier 2, but I still don't feel it's broken. I do respect and understand many of viewpoints and arguments on the ban side though, even if I feel some points are overexaggerated. Though there are some opposing points that I consider to be less of differing viewpoints and more a straight disagree with.

I will be voting ban, and I wouldn't do so without heavy consideration.

I believe that Urshifu's presence in the DOU metagame not only heavily influences team building decisions, but also dictates which archetypes and playstyles are viable at the moment. One of the main symptoms of Urshifu's potency is reflected in Rillaboom and Kartana usage, and it's definitely clear how much of a necessity it is to stack offensive answers to Urshifu, especially given that Urshifu by design is unaffected by defensive gameplay. While both Kartana and Rillaboom are good answers, their arguable necessity to beat Urshifu in a balanced context seems bad for the metagame going forward. Urshifu punishing passive gameplay also forces teams to formulate game plans more proactively, thus making offense significantly more viable than the alternative.

I also believe that the stalemate between Urshifu and its answers improves the viability of those counters, especially considering Urshifu covers its answers' weaknesses very well. Fire types in the metagame are near invalidated unless they're sitting next to Rillaboom, which has caused sets like Scope Lens Kartana to run rampant, enabling an arguably bigger issue.

:ss/kartana: :ss/rillaboom:

While I don't think Urshifu is nearly as broken as Shadow Tag, Unseen Fist still invalidates a central asset to Doubles: Protect. When something as important as switching or protecting is eliminated from otherwise viable game plans, other natural balance that occurs within a metagame is diminished.
Rilla and Kartana, including Scope Lens Kartana, were both very popular before HO and Urshifu shot up in popularity, nor are they the only answers to Urshifu. Thanks to these other checks, Urshifu doesn't near invalidate Fire-types even without Rillaboom. For eample, the Urshifu Necro Pyspam acrhetype includes Heatran without Rillaboom.

Honestly I rather ban Acupressure. That move is uncompetitive and creates too many dice rolls including our ever hated Evasion.

Last edited:
Since the narrative of “there’s no counter to Urshifu + Kart” has caught on, I’m gonna offer up some Pokémon that do really well into this core. Not gonna bother with the Pokémon everyone knows about that have been talked up as answers such as Dragapult/Zapdos-k&g/Latias. Instead I’ll offer some niche Pokémon or sets that are definitely underused atm, and have good potential against the meta at large.

:SS/Naganadel:
Naganadel @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Protect

This beast outspeeds and OHKO’s both Urshifu/Kart and gets spa boosts afterwards. It can also switch in on them both. Naganadel is able to make favorable trades with a lot of the meta, and if you want you can swap one of its moves with TW, making it one of the faster TW mons.

:SS/Tornadus:
Tornadus (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Protect

If offense is the name of the game, nothing enables it more than tornadus. Prankster TW is extremely good against opposing offensive teams as they lack the bulk to survive when they aren’t hitting first. This mon also outspeeds both Kart and Urshifu and OHKO’s them. You can run fun items like eject button to reposition after setting TW, but I like sash because it makes it easy to set TW twice in a game. Tornadus pairs stupidly well with CB Zygarde as long as you have answers to like p2 and Kyu-b (your own Urshifu, perhaps).

:SS/Zeraora:
Zeraora @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off
- Blaze Kick

Zera has always had a lot of options for its fourth move, and for teams that need it, look no further than Blaze Kick. It’s able to outspeed and OHKO Kart while also hitting the other grasses that Zera typically hates. Going adamant nature because Zera already beats the only things that would now outspeed it in Spectrier/Dragapult/Tapu Koko, and it gives Zera an 11/16 chance to OHKO Urshifu.

If you’re concerned that these are all offensive checks, don’t worry there’s some less-considered defensive ones below:
:SS/Togekiss:
I don’t have a set to provide since I’m still tryna build the perfect one, but Togekiss does wall Kart, can set up TW, and redirect attacks so a partner can get into position. It’s especially great if Urshifu is locked into close combat.

409D325C-C59D-41D9-9422-2BF4A2022758.jpeg

Most of these offensive teams are running 4+ physical attackers and aren’t featuring Tapu Fini. From the games I’ve played, will-o-wisp is almost always worth a moveslot, and here’s some Pokémon that can fit it:
:SS/Mew: :SS/Spectrier: :SS/Dragapult:

Shadowmonstr7

MUDA MUDA MUDA
Wasn't planning on posting here, but a few people have asked what I'll be voting so I figured I should post an explanation. Here are my flaming hot takes.

1. I don't believe the meta has properly adapted to metagame changes. Let's take a look at the current meta: the Zstrats team. It's everywhere on ladder and it and its Zapdos variant are incredibly common to see in this spring seasonal. When the Storms were preparing for DPL finals Fespy and I had run through several different team ideas and were almost set on a team to bring. Then Zstrats posted that team. And it was broken. It seemed like it had a good matchup against everything and the pressure it could apply with urshifu, tran, and zyg was ridiculous. Ever since that team, twind offense with urshifu, spread damage, and rillaboom have become the meta. It seems like this is all that's viable because it's all anyone uses. However I don't believe that offense is being spammed because it is inherently broken, I believe it is being used because it tends to perform well against what people are using. I don't think the meta has developed almost at all since offense became popular, and development hasn't stopped because Urshifu offense has somehow defeated all other archetypes to become the last valid team style standing, it's stalled because nothing major is driving its development (like DPL, SCL, circuit poffs, etc). Let's look back at DPL meta for instance. DPL saw everything from semiroom to webs to dragon dance kyub to psyspam to urshifu offense perform well. Urshifu offense took over the tier because it was a development that beat what was used before. I believe the tools are there to deal with Urshifu offense and the tools are there to make other play styles more viable. The reason this isn't happening is not a lack of resources but a lack of reasons for players to adapt. The meta changed greatly over the course of DPL and many great new teams were produced. Currently our only official tournament is Spring Seasonal, and spamming good, proven teams in the early rounds is a consistent and solid strategy. I strongly believe that as time passes and we reach later rounds of OSDT and have SCL the meta will have adapted appropriately, and we'll be seeing much more variety in teams. Obviously, I've addressed Urshifu's effect on the metagame much more than I have Urshifu itself here, but considering we didn't consider Urshifu as broken until twind offense became popular I decided to focus on that.

2. I do not think banning Urshifu is a solution that would give us a healthy metagame. If we want to remove "unhealthy" pokemon, banning Urshifu simply isn't enough. If bans rather than adaptation is the preferred solution Urshifu certainly isn't the only mon that would need to go. I would go as far as to say that every tier 1 pokemon (except tapu fini, tapu fini is a fake tier 1) needs to be banned. I don't see how the next two pokemon I will mention are any less good than Urshifu.

:ss/kyurem-black:
Without Urshifu Kyub will completely overrun the tier. With its massive bulk, variety of sets, and good typing Kyub will be near impossible to stop. Kyub would be better than ever as there would no longer me anything viable that could ohko them. DD and AV would keep opponents wondering what mons they need to keep in order to deal with kyub as checks for one don't necessarily beat the other. I don't think there's any need to go more in depth than this as it should be clear that kyub would be a monster without urshifu.

:ss/rillaboom:
Rillaboom is certainly less of an obviously insane mon because its not just dealing massive damage like Urshifu and Kyub can, but there's no doubt that Rillaboom is every bit as good as both of them. It has the bulk to be a good defensive switchin while simultaneously setting terrain and having fakeout, a good speed tier, and a pivot move. Simply put, Rillaboom is one of the most insane utility mons ever and fulfills multiple roles on almost every team. It's no wonder its usage is so high. It may not be ohkoing a lot of your pokemon but it's certainly enabling many strategies from the shadows. And it certainly doesn't hurt that Inciniroar isn't very good this gen.

Simply put if Urshifu goes I think these two are crazy enough that they need to go with it. Taking one out of the equation will only show how unbalanced the others can be. For these reasons I will be voting no ban because I believe a balanced tier is obtainable with urshifu legal, and I doubt only an Urshifu ban would give us a healthy format.

Thanks to everyone who read to the end!

TLDR: meta can adapt but needs more time, ban everything or ban nothing

Last edited:
Without Urshifu Kyub will completely overrun the tier. With its massive bulk, variety of sets, and good typing Kyub will be near impossible to stop. Kyub would be better than ever as there would no longer me anything viable that could ohko them. DD and AV would keep opponents wondering what mons they need to keep in order to deal with kyub as checks for one don't necessarily beat the other. I don't think there's any need to go more in depth than this as it should be clear that kyub would be a monster without urshifu.
I know the outcome has been decided, but nonetheless, I wanted to say that this is not a good anti-ban argument - we do not keep toxic or broken elements in the metagame for fear that something else will be broken once they're gone. Instead, if something else stands out as broken after a ban, we ban that too.

Shadowmonstr7

MUDA MUDA MUDA
I know the outcome has been decided, but nonetheless, I wanted to say that this is not a good anti-ban argument - we do not keep toxic or broken elements in the metagame for fear that something else will be broken once they're gone. Instead, if something else stands out as broken after a ban, we ban that too.
It was not my intention to make any type of "broken checks broken" argument as I do not believe Urshifu to be toxic or broken. The point I was attempting to make was merely to point out potential negative implications of an urshifu ban.

:sm/kartana::sm/urshifu-rapid-strike::sm/zygarde:

Offense in DOU
Offense has been one of if not the most dominating playstyles during the Crown Tundra metagame thanks to there wonderful power coupled with utility. The now infamous core of :Kartana: + :Urshifu: + :Zygarde: has been able to bowl over teams thanks to there wonderful synergy practically covering everything in the metagame. It has gotten to the point that otherwise lesser Pokemon such as :Ribombee:, :Naganadel:, and :Latias: has risen to specifically check these monsters. Despite this, offense has still been at the top, even with spesific things to counter it.

The absolute best example of this is 100% Z Strats offense team. This perfectly encapsulates how offense works. They each offer some kind of support for their teamates while also always pressuring the opponent. :Zeraora: and :Rillaboom: are able to support their teams in Fake Out, :Zeraora: provides Taunt and :Rillaboom: provides priority + U-turn + the Grassy Terrain that truly makes :Kartana: deadly. :Kartana: provides TW, :Urshifu: bypasses Protect, and :Zygarde: and :Heatran: provide excellent spread damage.

In Depth Composition

Tailwind Setters:
:kartana::zapdos:
These 2 are the main TW setters on offense. While :kartana: is usually the better choice thanks to its higher offensive prowess, they both do well on setting up TW.

Supporting Attackers:
:rillaboom::zeraora:
Somewhat wierdly these 2 are the staples on offense thanks to their good support while also providing good power. :rillaboom: has Grassy Surge, letting it passively heal its teamates + power up :Kartana:'s Leaf Blade. And :Zeraora: provides Fake Out, Taunt, and speed faster than dragapult.

Powerful Attackers:
:zygarde::urshifu::genesect::heatran:
These four attackers are excellent due to there different traits. :Zygarde: is excellent thanks to it being able to spam Thousand Arrows due to its lack of resists. :Urshifu: ignores protect and has an auto-crit move in 7-Surging Star Strikes. :Genesect: is great with Download having great power on either Physical or Special moves depending on the boosts. And :heatran: has powerful Eruptions and Heat Waves, and coverage in Earth Power.

Full Team Examples:
:rillaboom::kartana::heatran::zygarde::urshifu-rapid-strike::zeraora:
:rillaboom::kartana::Heatran::zygarde::genesect::zeraora:
:rillaboom::kartana::heatran::zygarde::urshifu-rapid-strike::zapdos:

Conclusion

Offense has been dominant, and while counterplay has popped up to stop it, it still has been amazing nonetheless. It does well against all playstyles besides HO, from Semiroom, to Fullroom, to more Defenseive Setup teams, they have stood up to be excellent , even problematic in some cases. SO why don't you try one of these teams out, your results won't be dissapointing.

(If you wanna nerf offense, ban kart, not moistshifu.)

Last edited:

zoe

Tragic Decision
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
Broken Tier: I don't think "average" and "kyurem black" have ever been used in the same sentence since the beginning of time. Do i even need to explain this one? hits everything for at least neutral damage, objectively has the best stats out of everything else in this format, and has the ability to beat literally every single one of it's checks. A hard counter to kyurem literally doesn't exist. examples?

+1 136 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 374-440 (109.6 - 129%) -- guaranteed OHKO so urshifu beats kyurem huh? Same thing happens to fini btw, and if you wanna talk about the assault vest set moonblast won't even kill, even at +3 while fusion bolt 2hkos without investment:

+3 156 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 88 SpD Assault Vest Kyurem-Black: 378-446 (83.4 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 136 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 104+ Def Tapu Fini: 274-324 (79.8 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and dd kyube just fucking kills you once it gets set up (moonblast still doesn't kill at +0 btw)

Remember how i said diancie was a hard counter a while ago? well uhh

+2 136 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 80 Def Diancie: 165-195 (54.2 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO and diamond storm doesn't even kill btw, it barely 2hkos on the best possible roll. seriously, what the fuck is this pokemon (also earth power 2hkos for the av set but dd kyube has an easier time with diancie because your teammates can just click fake out to allow for it to get free setup turns until you can 2hko with fusion bolt and not worry about weakness policy, while av has to worry about weakness policy constantly)

I could do this for literally every kyube check but i think you get the idea. Kyurem black has the ability to straight up just beat every single one of it's checks depending on the set, and if you guess wrong you can literally just autolose depending on the matchup. 100% deserves a suspect test and i will not shut up about this thing until it gets one
(posting this in another thread because that isn't the place for a discussion)

Note: what was it you said about kyube being able to beat every single one of its checks?
:bw/metagross:
112 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 122-144 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 136 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 149-176 (40.9 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 332-392 (73.2 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Metagross Steel Roller (130 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 480-566 (105.9 - 124.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

AV Metagross is a pretty damn good check, and Kyurem has a difficult time breaking through it.

I'm going to start off by saying this: You're right, Kyurem-Black is far from average. Its a phenomenal Pokemon that has the ability to blacket check over half the metagame with AV, and annihilate the opposing team with its Dragon Dance set. However, I don't find it broken, and I'll explain why.

Predictability
You can kinda tell what set Kyurem will be from preview. DD is likely paired with redirection and/or Fake Outs. AV is basically everything else. A DD Kyurem without redirection is going to have a tough time setting up for the sole reason its a Kyurem and you want to kill it ASAP. AV on teams with redirection is generally bad, and idt I need to explain why. Because of that, you'll usually be able to plan your counterplay accordingly. For example: switching Kartana on a AV Kyurem is literally throwing, but its a good option against DD, as Icicle Spear isn't immediately threatening and Kartana can take advantage of that by setting Tailwind (I will say Icicle Spear still does a ton at +1, and if Kyurem is besides a Togekiss, then you're throwing by switching Kartana into that. So yeah, Kartana isn't the best DD Kyurem check). Incineroar is more or less the same, although switching it into a AV Kyurem isn't exactly throwing.

Ch*p
What a good transition! That aside, the best counterplay to Kyurem-Black is not giving it free turns. Does that usually work out? Nope! Kyurem can, will, and already did get in. Because of that, chipping it down is another good method. Kyurem obviously isn't going to switch in scotch-free, and that can be taken advantage of by putting it into range of stuff like Kartana's Sacred Sword or Heatran's Eruption. If you have Stealth Rock for some reason, then that accelerates the process dramatically. This is important for a few reasons. For example, Diancie. If its AV Kyurem VS. Diancie, Kyurem-B loses. Why?

140+ Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 272-324 (60 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
112 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 116 SpD Diancie: 108-128 (35.5 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

it has around a 50% chance to beat a +1 DD Kyurem.
Lets use another example then.

0 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 104+ Def Tapu Fini: 170-200 (49.5 - 58.3%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
156 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 88 SpD Assault Vest Kyurem-Black: 152-182 (33.5 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

(yes ik the fini spread is different but i'm lazy)
This puts Kyurem at about 60%, without considering the potential damage received when it switches in. At 60% Kyurem is still ridiculously bulky, but it can make it difficult to switch in without being immediately forced out. I could do this for ages, but you get the point.

Yeah there were only two things I wanted to really say, could I had said more? yes, but I'm too lazy to write that. idt I have a problem with the rest of your vr rankings, but felt like disputing the "kyurem is broken take" fsr. even then I get what you're trying to say, I just don't agree that it makes it broken.

tl;dr: I am too tired to write a tl;dr so here's Heatran Dance
:bw/heatran:
he be slow dancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)