np: SS UU Stage 8 - Highway to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep hearing about how many things in this new UU meta are super broken, need to get banned, etc. etc. However, I want to focus on one mon that I think is extremely problematic if we get a little too aggressive on banning the other stuff:

:ss/celesteela:

So Celesteela is a true tank, that also has great offensive presence. Right now it's very difficult to manage due to its decent coverage and multiple sets (Automotize sweeper, leech seed stall, physical, special, or mixed, etc), but I would say it's not so bad because of all the powerful offensive threats we have to check it. However, if you start banning all the big offensive threats (like Blacephalon, Dracozolt, Victini, Volcarona, Venusaur-Sun), this monster of a tank is going to become even more difficult to deal with and, in my opinion, is going to start promoting a gross stall game in the tier.

I'm not saying we need to ban Celesteela (it might even rise on Nov 15th). Some people might even say it's necessary to check Tapu Lele (there are other checks, but this is an easy one, and Lele might also rise on Nov 15th). But I also don't think we need to rush to ban all the hyper offensive mons either. The metagame is going to change, again, in a dramatic way on Nov 15th because we are going to get more reliable data in the tiers for drops and rises. The council has already said that there will likely not be any bans until Nov 15th. But I think we should take some time after Nov 15 to see where the meta stands after the next shifts and see if the meta can function with what we have.

There is no question that the old UU metagame cannot survive with these new drops. But that's the point of the tiers - they are very transformative of the meta, and we should focus on trying to adapt to the powerful things we got and take some time to digest all of it and see if anything really warrants any immediate action. I am sure there will be a couple things that deserve a quickban sometime after November 15, but I doubt we really need to ban more than 2-3 things.
Hopping on the bandwagon about why even if we do get rid of the broken things, Celesteela is still very manageable and we have lots of tools to beat it which are NOWHERE NEAR banworthy. For this I'm gonna use the standard defensive celesteela set in the team builder.

252 SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Celesteela: 422-500 (106.2 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
While outclassed by Blacephalon, once it goes chandelure will make a comeback as a fearsome breaker.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 248 HP / 28 Def Celesteela: 556-655 (140 - 164.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 248 HP / 28 Def Celesteela: 278-330 (70 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Celesteela: 354-416 (89.1 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 28 Def Celesteela: 588-692 (148.1 - 174.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Celesteela: 294-348 (74 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 8 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Celesteela: 426-504 (107.3 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 176+ Atk Life Orb Scizor Superpower vs. 248 HP / 28 Def Celesteela: 335-395 (84.3 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Celesteela: 234-276 (58.9 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

148+ SpA Life Orb Punk Rock Toxtricity Overdrive vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Celesteela: 297-355 (74.8 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Celesteela: 432-510 (108.8 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Celesteela: 290-344 (73 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Heat Wave vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Celesteela: 382-450 (96.2 - 113.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Above are a list of calcs by pokemon who don't fear a 2HKO from heavy slam for the most part and can set up on celesteela to beat it 1V1. I firmly believe that none of these pokemon will be broken in the UU metagame, so we will still have plenty of options to beat celesteela even after all the strong mons go.

'sup guys I'm back for another post to talk about other things I tried and played with so here we go..!

Stall in Underused

Thanks to shifts we got a ton of Pokemon to make viable and nice stall in Underused. While it's true that it's still pretty hard to make a stall which is able to handle all the threats in Underused, I've been able to make one pretty cool after seeing Adaam posting one in council discord channel. I'll not lie, it has several flaws (basically an automatic loss vs Sun teams and Rain teams but also other shenanigans..). I firmly believe this archetype is going to be pretty damn good once all the broken stuff are gone and I can't wait to see expert in this archetype ( *wink* *wink* pokemonisfun) build something "almost flawless". Without further ado, heres the team :

Audino @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off

Pyukumuku @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Block
- Spite
- Recover
- Rest

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
- Earthquake

Hydreigon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower

Buzzwole @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 44 Def / 104 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Darkest Lariat / Filler

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD
Careful Nature
- Block
- Rest
- Toxic
- Heavy Slam
After testing some Chansey Stalls, I decided to try a more obscure wisher : Audino ! Audino is obviously not as bulky as Chansey but has some several benefits against Chansey by being able to wear Heavy-Duty Boots (while HDB Chansey is pretty wack) but also being a better pivot thanks to Regenerator. Its access to Knock Off is also pretty useful to wear down passive shits such as Celesteela. Pyukumuku is the Unaware user of choice since I have already a Ground-type to deal with broken Dracozolt. It also provides to the team a decent answer to Belly Drum Azumarill, some Rain abusers and Keldeo to a way better extent than its Water-Ground counterpart. Hippowdon is there to deal with Dracozolt which is kinda busted at the moment if you're lacking Ground-types and acts as my Stealth Rock setter. Bulky Hydreigon is my check to Blacephalon and my Defogger. EVs spreads allows it to not be 2HKO by Choice Specs Fire Blast (or 2 Overheat). It also has enough speed to cripple things like Tapu Lele if needed. Buzzwole is another useful wall to deal with non-Bounce Gyarados, Terrakion, Lycanroc-Dusk and most physical sweepers in the tier. I opt for a Bulk Up variant to allows it to pressure some teams more effectively. Darkest Lariat can be replace by another filler like Poison Jab, Ice Punch or even Earthquake.. EVs spread is once again pretty fuck up but it allows Buzzwole to outspeed Adamant Crawdaunt. I'm almost sure the spedef investment is for something specific but I actually don't remember for what.. the remaining EVs are bumped in atk & def while still providing a Beast Boost in attack if needed. Last but not least Celesteela is there to remove some wack defensive shits thanks to Block + Toxic. You can probably replace Celesteela by something like SpD Defog/SD Scizor but a Steel-type is pretty much needed to handle Psychic-types and so things like Tapu Lele or Alakazam...

Overall the current Underused has a lot of tools that can be used for Stall teams as you can see right below :

Obviously some of those Pokemon may rise to OU or may be banned latter since they have offensive variants that could be overwhelming bu I trully think that this post-shifts DLC may help people to finally being able to play viable and good stall teams.

Fun tools I've been using

Blacephalon @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf / Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick / Filler if HDB
- Knock Off
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

I've been using a bit Knock Off Blacephalon and I found this set to be pretty deadly alongside Trick and a Choice Specs as Blacephalon can really bother a lot of its check thanks to both Trick & Knock Off. This allows in particular to punish Chansey way more if you failed your Trick earlier in the game. It's also pretty useful to be able to remove Leftovers from Pokemon like Nihilego or spedef Kommo-o or Heavy-Duty Boots to Incineroar and Hydreigon.

Dracozolt @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Bolt Beak
- Outrage

I think most people who faced me during the last days saw me using this beast at least one time. I used quite a lot CB Rest-Talk Dracozolt and I found it pretty good even tho it struggles way more to break through things like Hippowdon. The surprise factor is pretty damn nice and it also help Dracozolt in the long run. I also think most people who're playing Dracozolt should 100% opt for a +spe nature since it allows it to revenge kill way more things under the Sandstorm like +1 speed Blacephalon/Nihilego (the first one being pretty important considering how good this Pokemon is right now).

Moltres-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Weakness Policy
Ability: Berserk
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Fiery Wrath
- Air Slash / Hurricane

I found Moltres-Galar to be a super fun Pokemon to use in Aurora Veil offense due to its good bulky and access to both Nasty Plot & Agility. I know this set is already knowed but I still want to highlight the fact that it can really clutch some games super easily because it's quite bulky overall and it's typing is pretty damn on both the offensive and defensive spectrum..so yeah try this nice looking bird asap !

Nihilego @ Power Herb
EVs: 80 Def / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

Last but not least, I'd like to talk about Meteor Beam Nihilego which is just a great Pokemon to abuse. It has some really solid coverage and hits quite hard with +1 in special attack. I'm overall more of a fan of the +speed Beast Boost than the +spa one since it allows it to become nearly impossible to revenge kill after a 1 K.O (and basically impossible at +2 bar priorities such as Bullet Punch from Scizor or Aqua Jet from Azumarill / Crawdaunt). It's able to beat spedef Celesteela if it switches on the Meteor Beam so that's really dope and overall its coverage allows it to punish most Pokemon in the tier (bar Steel-types like Magnezone, Jirachi or fat Chansey).

Last edited:
Currently I'm still building and experimenting on the ladder, but here are a few of my observations about the state of the meta, if you want to call it that.
1604758754365.png
1604758758682.png

Hippowdon sand is super viable, mostly because the hippo is already a great defensive Pokemon with access to some nice utility moves. Dracozolt is a real pain to deal with as well, and like others here I've had the most success running mixed sets with Draco Meteor / Fire Blast to bop physical walls. Not an overpowered playstyle (I think?) but a nice, reliable weather archetype that doesn't really require you to build your team around it.
1604758900636.png
1604758913316.png
1604758923354.png

As far as boosters go, these three are the ones that have given me the most trouble so far. The snowball effect that they each have punishes even the slightest error in defensive prediction, making it hard to recover unless you have a dedicated check. There are a lot of scary 'mons running around but these take the cake. Not sure how long they'll be here for.
1604759157200.png
1604759160747.png

Psychic Terrain is a less common, but also really deadly playstyle. You can slap these two 'mons onto most offensive teams, much like you can slap Hippowdon / Dracozolt onto most balance / BO. Alakazam especially gets put in position to do insane damage under terrain, and the unique conditions of PT mean that not even Sucker Punch can save you. Thankfully both of these Pokemon are very frail, but this is still an archetype that you have to prepare for.
1604759414861.png
1604759419568.png

As someone who's played UU since Gen 5, it warms my heart to see these two return to the tier. Not much to say here other than that they've retained their value, and with their boosted coverage can smoke most of the newfangled defensive cores running around the tier that don't run stuff like Umbreon or Chansey. I tend to play bulkier teams, which means I prefer the queen, but both are solid options.

Those are the most concrete observations I can think of. I'm also seeing a notable decrease in Fighting-type usage compared to the pre-DLC meta, and a need for very strong bulky cores. I've found Tangrowth and Suicune as reliable as ever, but can't speak to others. I'm enjoying this crazy meta right now, and would love to hear everyone's thoughts on these 'mons!

I have to actually write about this, leaving my disclaimer that I don't play that much UU, so correct me if I say shit.

I have a set for a mon that is quite low the rankings in gen 8. Celebi. Yes, the small time traveler, but why I am choosing him, well, I have tested this set.
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Ancient Power/you can put filler if you want
- Leech Seed
- Healing Wish

I know the evs aren't on the right spot but I am not good with them, so I roll with what showdown gives me. I'll explain all the moves utilities and what this set strives for.
I call this Celebi set, Cleric, because of its function to help more than dish damage or sweep endgame. Thunder wave is purely speed control, since we don't have much ways of speed control with Celebi's moveset, I went with this, if you want a more agressive cleric set you can put toxic, but I never tested with toxic. Ancient Power it's just a meme part for my meme sake, sometimes it works, others dont. Leech seed it's for actually stalling a bit and get a bit of health back alongside leftovers, which helps. The ace in the sleeve however is Healing Wish, specially late game when Celebi won't be of much use and you need someone full health for a surprise K.O or sweeping. I have only replay at the moment but when I gather more I'll put depth on this subject.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1218832925 - this is the link for the replay

Among the absurd amount of drops we received in the last shift, the unban of Drizzle, Venusaur and Alolatales, alongside the new additions Hippowdon and Sand Rush Dracozolt, plus a lot of generally powerful mons that like one kind of weather or another, has brought Weather Wars into full swing, arguably the kind not seen since BW2. Curious to see how these wars have shaped the current UU Alpha, I went Team Drizzle because I had a less than positive first impression of the weather, and I wanted to see if rain lived up to the hype (aka abuse the hell out of it until it got rebanned). So, after a few prototypes and analyzing how best to abuse rain (at least on paper), I went on ladder and-

So, it turns out rain isn't really that overwhelming. While I haven't gotten to play as many games as I would have liked due to other life stuff, what experience I have had these past few days has landed my rain team with a respectable but not spectacular 60% success rate. This may be in part because of how I built my team (more on that in a bit), but from my experience UU rain isn't nearly as brainless as you would naturally assume; there are quite a lot of threats even the best prepared rain team has to play around, and I've noticed the team tends to be more "slippery slope" prone then other team styles I've tried (aka, make one less-than-good move and you just lose). A part of this is probably just how HO centric the tier is right now, but managing a successful rain team has proven to require more higher-level play than I was anticipating. As such, I would argue, based on my experience, that rain is not broken because you still have to work for the win, and play very carefully lest your team fall apart. Another thing I think is telling is that throughout my laddering, I ended up having to face off against every weather- except opposing rain. I did not run into a single other rain team on ladder; if my experience says anything, it's that Sun is actually the most popular weather right now. So, what is the deal with UU rain?
1604849567621.png

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SpD; IVs: 0 Att; Calm Nature
-Scald
-Toxic
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Ironically, the mon that currently facilitates the rain playstyle in UU is also one of the main things holding it back. Having to use Politoed as my rain setter perfectly highlights why Pelipper has become the superior setter. Toed has two major disadvantages compared to the pelican: first, it has no recovery outside of Rest, as Leftovers isn't really worth losing the support capability of Damp Rock or the added switch-in opportunities of Boots (haven't actually used Boots, can't say how good this would actually be). However, the second and more pressing disadvantage for me has been Toed's inability to pivot. In the current HO meta, your abusers can actually have a rather hard time coming in, so it would be really nice for my setter to be able to bring these abusers in safely; honestly, I think even Flip Turn would probably improve Toed's viability substantially. Still, Toed is necessary for any Rain team, so how can you use him? Well, I've heard of others try to utilize Toed as a strategic trapper with Whirlpool and presumably Perish Song, but my set of choice- RestTalk. While it may be gimmicky, RestTalk does allow Toed the necessary sustain to repeatedly come in without having to sacrifice Damp Rock. Scald and Toxic are the two moves of choice to whittle down more problematic mons, with Toxic being great against opposing weather setters. As for the EV spread, I chose to go max SpD Calm over Bold specifically because of Alolatales Freeze-Dry. When facing Hail, you basically have to bring Toed in a lot to prevent the fox from setting Aurora Veil; however, with Bold you can only safely come in once, as Freeze-Dry 3HKOs. This is a problem since no Toed means no more rain. This spread allows you to take on Alolatales more comfortably, and Scald helps nullify the move's freeze chance. While this may leave it vulnerable physically, the Toed spread listed above does consistently live a Duskroc CC, among other things. This set has also had a few weird perks, such as screwing over SubToxic Aegislash. Still, I can't help but feel this set probably has a more optimal EV spread to maximum defensive value, but that'll have to wait for now. Even with this longevity, I still ended up just sacking Toed in a few games so I could safely get my attackers in, and sometimes that helped win me the game; that said, you know your viability is questionable when one of your main uses is to sacrifice yourself.
1604849204535.png

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spd; IVs: 0 Att; Modest Nature
-Hydro Pump
-Draco Meteor
-Hurricane
-Surf
1604849175227.png

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Att/4 SpD/252 Spd; Adamant Nature
-Earthquake
-Liquidation
-Ice Punch(/Poison Jab(?)/Knock Off(?))
-Power Whip

The other requisite of any rain team is the Swift Swim user(s), and for my team I chose to double up on two staples of this role. My Kingdra is a pretty standard set, with strong dual STAB in HydroDraco, its new Hurricane for Grass types and Surf just so you have a move that doesn't miss when you really need it to and cost you all your- *ahem*. Modest nature is chosen to maximize damage output, especially since you're outspeeding most things in rain anyways. My Seismitoad (which also provided a key Electric immunity) is a bit more unusual, and will probably be the most controversial member to my team as I am running the rare physical Toad. While most Swift Swim Toads tend to lean special, I felt that special Toad would be redundant for my team considering I already had Kingdra and Thundurus (more on him in a sec) on special duty, and too much reliance on special attackers is another key flaw I found in rain teams. The other deciding factor for physical Toad was Power Whip, allowing me a second option against opposing waters, especially Gastrodon or opposing Toad (also getting an OHKO on Washtom is nice as always). Plus, Liquidation in rain helped me threaten a 2HKO on Seed Celesteela. EVs are how you'd expect, Adamant for the same reason Kingdra is Modest, and all the moves are what you'd expect; however, I wonder if you could swap Ice Punch for Poison Jab, which does more to Tangrowth and especially Bulu, or Knock Off to give you a better matchup against Chansey.
1604849281946.png

Thundurus @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spd; IVs: 0 Att; Timid Nature
-Nasty Plot
-Thunder
-Grass Knot
-Sludge Bomb

Thundurus was a mon that I thought would be a prime rain abuser, and it is; that said, my experience with this team has also softened my first impressions of Thundy in terms of being broken. I chose Incarnate over Therian for the extra 10 points of Speed- while not much, it does naturally (ie not counting Scarf) outspeed key threats like Alolatales, Keldeo and Terrakion. I initially went LO, but found that Rocks were a consistent enough problem that I caved and swapped to Boots. Thundy is primarily meant as a late-game cleaner, although he can put in work if you get him in safely, utilizing resistances such as Togekiss Air Slash in spite of mediocre bulk. Thunder is obvious as main STAB, Sludge Bomb whittles down Grass types, and Grass Knot as your requisite anti-Ground move. My initial build had Weather Ball as the third move, but I changed it to Knot after a tricky game against Gastro and because relying on WB as my anti-Ground move repeatedly made Thundy deadweight outside of rain. EVs are simple, with Timid to get the most out of that extra speed. However, I wonder if Thundy-T could work better, mainly because of its ability in Volt Absorb against a certain new threat to Rain (more later).
1604849382173.png

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/4 Att/252 Def; Impish Nature
-Defog
-Bullet Punch
-U-turn
-Roost

A later addition to my team, defensive Scizor is a perfect partner for Rain. Scizor basically had everything I was seeking after my proto-builds: hazard removal, strong priority, pivoting, a Freeze-Dry resist, and recovery + solid bulk- it was the ideal fit to what my team needed. My physically bulky variant may seem odd, but it ended up being a surprisingly stalwart member of the team defensively. My Scizor doesn't even take half from (+0) Weavile's full-power Knock Off, and has also been able to stave off CCs from Duskroc and +1 Glastrier (that latter case actually won me that game). Even 4 Attack EVs still let Bullet Punch hit decently hard against threats like Duskroc, Weavile, Hatterene and Bulu, while U-turn still chunks mons that don't resist it. Rain also gives back to Scizor, as it alone allows Scizor to survive a Mystical Fire from Hatterene, meaning it can safely 2HKO it. Still, the loss of power compared to more offensive sets did have a notable drawback (see "other observations").
1604849132958.png

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SpD; IVs: 0 Att; Bold Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Seismic Toss
-Soft-Boiled
-Teleport
1604844781001.png

Yes, seeing as I felt my defensive ability was still lacking and a few other choices being suboptimal, I did the unthinkable and gave my last slot to my least favorite mon. Chansey was just too valuable, being a great defensive backbone, providing hazards and Teleport to give myself another pivot. I went with Seismic Toss and ditched Toxic as Politoed already had Toxic covered and so Chans wasn't complete Taunt bait. And- not much more to say, honestly.

Honorable Mention
1604849398632.png

Skarmory was my initial choice for a defensive Steel on this team, and it was- not great. If my experience is anything to go on, I think Skarm is significantly worse than I thought. It's probably an inevitable result of the current HO meta, as Skarm gets easily overwhelmed by the many powerful Special attackers, even getting 2HKOed by resisted hits like Lele's Moonblast. Also, it didn't resist Freeze-Dry, which made one battle against Hail a real pain.
1604849407211.png
1604849332984.png
1604849368393.png
+
1604849488917.png
1604849497933.png
1604849511021.png

Overall, rain has not proven to be the tour of force that it seemed to be on paper; it may be another matter once the meta settles, but for now I don't think it's of high concern. Sure, there may be other factors as to why my team wasn't overwhelming, such as using Seismotoad over a stupid mon like Gyarados, but I think the other three weathers might just be better right now. Sun was easily the most common weather I ran into, and from what I saw every dedicated Sun team doubled up on Victini and Blacephalon, whose stupid power meant that I had to be on my toes against Sun despite the natural advantage, as well as the occasional Venusaur (yeah, for some reason some Sun teams are going without Venusaur right now). As for Sand, Dracozolt has made it so rain now has an actively bad matchup against Sand. Bolt Beak is just such a stupid move, and even some Grounds like my Seismotoad get cleaved through easily by LO-boosted Draco and EQ. Zolt is also the reason I in retrospect think Thundy-T may be preferably over standard Thundurus, just so you have another mon that doesn't just drop to Bolt Beak. It's kind of crazy how this one mon has completely shifted the dynamic between the two weathers. As for Hail- well, it's not so much Hail as it is Aloletales and crazy strong threats that abuse Veil- the need to counteract Veil is the reason I specifically went for specially defensive Politoed over the physically defensive variant Showdown recommended, because stopping Veil is just that crucial. It's something you definitely can play around, although it's not easy.

Overall, rain mainly suffers from:
  1. Politoed being a momentum sink due to lack of recovery and pivoting.
  2. Overreliance on special attackers, which means many rain teams can be stopped easily by special walls like Eviolite Chansey.
  3. Stacking up on Water types in general- giving your team major shared weaknesses in inherently very risky.

Other Observations
1604849250115.png
1604849269068.png
1604849306907.png
1604849242842.png

Trick Room has been surprisingly common thus far; I possibly fought TR teams even more than I did Sun teams. These teams make consistently great use of setters like Cresselia, Hatterene and Stakataka, the latter two of whom also abuse it alongside scary mons like Glastrier. I've been rethinking several of my preliminary rankings solely because of how these teams have been gaining significantly more traction than I anticipated (although it might just be New Toy Syndrome). That said, they can be played around without too much difficulty, as seen here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1218775747
1604849145791.png

Chansey, while serving me as a defensive backbone, also proved to be the biggest hurdle for my team. You know when I mentioned that another major flaw of rain is overreliance on special attackers? In UU, that distinction is made almost solely due to Chansey; Chansey may be a bigger obstacle to rain than the other weathers. If you're running rain, you absolutely need at least one physical attacker who can blow through Chansey; Knock Off is also a great asset for Rain (maybe I could have given Toad that over Ice Punch?). Well, looks like my hatred isn't dead yet. #F*ckChansey
1604849317105.png

Yeah, Hawlucha is just as stupid as I anticipated. You basically need priority or else you just lose.
1604849355453.png

So, from my experience stall teams (yes, those do still exist) might be utilizing Imprison-Transform Mew. Definitely a gimmicky set, but I can't just stand by and leave you all unprepared for such a degenerate set (plus losing the game over it is just really frustrating). Beware Mew on stall.

Well, that's all I've seen while working with rain. What are your thoughts about Drizzle in the current meta?

Last edited:
Among the absurd amount of drops we received in the last shift, the unban of Drizzle, Venusaur and Alolatales, alongside the new additions Hippowdon and Sand Rush Dracozolt, plus a lot of generally powerful mons that like one kind of weather or another, has brought Weather Wars into full swing, arguably the kind not seen since BW2. Curious to see how these wars have shaped the current UU Alpha, I went Team Drizzle because I had a less than positive first impression of the weather, and I wanted to see if rain lived up to the hype (aka abuse the hell out of it until it got rebanned). So, after a few prototypes and analyzing how best to abuse rain (at least on paper), I went on ladder and-

So, it turns out rain isn't really that overwhelming. While I haven't gotten to play as many games as I would have liked due to other life stuff, what experience I have had these past few days has landed my rain team with a respectable but not spectacular 60% success rate. This may be in part because of how I built my team (more on that in a bit), but from my experience UU rain isn't nearly as brainless as you would naturally assume; there are quite a lot of threats even the best prepared rain team has to play around, and I've noticed the team tends to be more "slippery slope" prone then other team styles I've tried (aka, make one less-than-good move and you just lose). A part of this is probably just how HO centric the tier is right now, but managing a successful rain team has proven to require more higher-level play than I was anticipating. A such, I would argue, based on my experience, that rain is not broken because you still have to work for the win, and play very carefully lest your team fall apart. Another thing I think is telling is that throughout my laddering, I ended up having to face off against every weather- except opposing rain. I did not run into a single other rain team on ladder; if my experience says anything, it's that Sun is actually the most popular weather right now. So, what is the deal with UU rain?
View attachment 289513
Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SpD; IVs: 0 Att; Calm Nature
-Scald
-Toxic
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Ironically, the mon that currently facilitates the rain playstyle in UU is also one of the main things holding it back. Having to use Politoed as my rain setter perfectly highlights why Pelipper has become the superior setter. Toed has two major disadvantages compared to the pelican: first, it has no recovery outside of Rest, as Leftovers isn't really worth losing the support capability of Damp Rock or the added switch-in opportunities of Boots (haven't actually used Boots, can't say how good this would actually be). However, the second and more pressing disadvantage for me has been Toed's inability to pivot. In the current HO meta, your abusers can actually have a rather hard time coming in, so it would be really nice for my setter to be able to bring these abusers in safely; honestly, I think even Flip Turn would probably improve Toed's viability substantially. Still, Toed is necessary for any Rain team, so how can you use him? Well, I've heard of others try to utilize Toed as a strategic trapper with Whirlpool and presumably Perish Song, but my set of choice- RestTalk. While it may be gimmicky, RestTalk does allow Toed the necessary sustain to repeatedly come in without having to sacrifice Damp Rock. Scald and Toxic are the two moves of choice to whittle down more problematic mons, with Toxic being great against opposing weather setters. As for the EV spread, I chose to go max SpD Calm over Bold specifically because of Alolatales Freeze-Dry. When facing Hail, you basically have to bring Toed in a lot to prevent the fox from setting Aurora Veil; however, with Bold you can only safely come in once, as Freeze-Dry 3HKOs. This is a problem since no Toed means no more rain. This spread allows you to take on Alolatales more comfortably, and Scald helps nullify the move's freeze chance. While this may leave it vulnerable physically, the Toed spread listed above does consistently live a Duskroc CC, among other things. This set has also had a few weird perks, such as screwing over SubToxic Aegislash. Still, I can't help but feel this set probably has a more optimal EV spread to maximum defensive value, but that'll have to wait for now. Even with this longevity, I still ended up just sacking Toed in a few games so I could safely get my attackers in, and sometimes that helped win me the game; that said, you know your viability is questionable when one of your main uses is to sacrifice yourself.
View attachment 289495
Kingdra @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spd; IVs: 0 Att; Modest Nature
-Hydro Pump
-Draco Meteor
-Hurricane
-Surf
View attachment 289494
Seismitoad @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Att/4 SpD/252 Spd; Adamant Nature
-Earthquake
-Liquidation
-Ice Punch(/Poison Jab(?)/Knock Off(?))
-Power Whip

The other requisite of any rain team is the Swift Swim user(s), and for my team I chose to double up on two staples of this role. My Kingdra is a pretty standard set, with strong dual STAB in HydroDraco, its new Hurricane for Grass types and Surf just so you have a move that doesn't miss when you really need it to and cost you all your- *ahem*. Modest nature is chosen to maximize damage output, especially since you're outspeeding most things in rain anyways. My Seismitoad (which also provided a key Electric immunity) is a bit more unusual, and will probably be the most controversial member to my team as I am running the rare physical Toad. While most Swift Swim Toads tend to lean special, I felt that special Toad would be redundant for my team considering I already had Kingdra and Thundurus (more on him in a sec) on special duty, and too much reliance on special attackers is another key flaw I found in rain teams. The other deciding factor for physical Toad was Power Whip, allowing me a second option against opposing waters, especially Gastrodon or opposing Toad (also getting an OHKO on Washtom is nice as always). Plus, Liquidation in rain helped me threaten a 2HKO on Seed Celesteela. EVs are how you'd expect, Adamant for the same reason Kingdra is Modest, and all the moves are what you'd expect; however, I wonder if you could swap Ice Punch for Poison Jab, which does more to Tangrowth and especially Bulu, or Knock Off to give you a better matchup against Chansey.
View attachment 289500
Thundurus @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spd; IVs: 0 Att; Timid Nature
-Nasty Plot
-Thunder
-Grass Knot
-Sludge Bomb

Thundurus was a mon that I thought would be a prime rain abuser, and it is; that said, my experience with this team has also softened my first impressions of Thundy in terms of being broken. I chose Incarnate over Therian for the extra 10 points of Speed- while not much, it does naturally (ie not counting Scarf) outspeed key threats like Alolatales, Keldeo and Terrakion. I initially went LO, but found that Rocks were a consistent enough problem that I caved and swapped to Boots. Thundy is primarily meant as a late-game cleaner, although he can put in work if you get him in safely, utilizing resistances such as Togekiss Air Slash in spite of mediocre bulk. Thunder is obvious as main STAB, Sludge Bomb whittles down Grass types, and Grass Knot as your requisite anti-Ground move. My initial build had Weather Ball as the third move, but I changed it to Knot after a tricky game against Gastro and because relying on WB as my anti-Ground move repeatedly made Thundy deadweight outside of rain. EVs are simple, with Timid to get the most out of that extra speed. However, I wonder if Thundy-T could work better, mainly because of its ability in Volt Absorb against a certain new threat to Rain (more later).
View attachment 289506
Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/4 Att/252 Def; Impish Nature
-Defog
-Bullet Punch
-U-turn
-Roost

A later addition to my team, defensive Scizor is a perfect partner for Rain. Scizor basically had everything I was seeking after my proto-builds: hazard removal, strong priority, pivoting, a Freeze-Dry resist, and recovery + solid bulk- it was the ideal fit to what my team needed. My physically bulky variant may seem odd, but it ended up being a surprisingly stalwart member of the team defensively. My Scizor doesn't even take half from (+0) Weavile's full-power Knock Off, and has also been able to stave off CCs from Duskroc and +1 Glastrier (that latter case actually won me that game). Even 4 Attack EVs still let Bullet Punch hit decently hard against threats like Duskroc, Weavile, Hatterene and Bulu, while U-turn still chunks mons that don't resist it. Rain also gives back to Scizor, as it alone allows Scizor to survive a Mystical Fire from Hatterene, meaning it can safely 2HKO it. Still, the loss of power compared to more offensive sets did have a notable drawback (see "other observations").
View attachment 289492
Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SpD; IVs: 0 Att; Bold Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Seismic Toss
-Soft-Boiled
-Teleport
View attachment 289485
Yes, seeing as I felt my defensive ability was still lacking and a few other choices being suboptimal, I did the unthinkable and gave my last slot to my least favorite mon. Chansey was just too valuable, being a great defensive backbone, providing hazards and Teleport to give myself another pivot. I went with Seismic Toss and ditched Toxic as Politoed already had Toxic covered and so Chans wasn't complete Taunt bait. And- not much more to say, honestly.

Honorable Mention
View attachment 289507
Skarmory was my initial choice for a defensive Steel on this team, and it was- not great. If my experience is anything to go on, I think Skarm is significantly worse than I thought. It's probably an inevitable result of the current HO meta, as Skarm gets easily overwhelmed by the many powerful Special attackers, even getting 2HKOed by resisted hits like Lele's Moonblast. Also, it didn't resist Freeze-Dry, which made one battle against Hail a real pain.
View attachment 289508View attachment 289503View attachment 289505+View attachment 289510View attachment 289511View attachment 289512
Overall, rain has not proven to be the tour of force that it seemed to be on paper; it may be another matter once the meta settles, but for now I don't think it's of high concern. Sure, there may be other factors as to why my team wasn't overwhelming, such as using Seismotoad over a stupid mon like Gyarados, but I think the other three weathers might just be better right now. Sun was easily the most common weather I ran into, and from what I saw every dedicated Sun team doubled up on Victini and Blacephalon, whose stupid power meant that I had to be on my toes against Sun despite the natural advantage, as well as the occasional Venusaur (yeah, for some reason some Sun teams are going without Venusaur right now). As for Sand, Dracozolt has made it so rain now has an actively bad matchup against Sand. Bolt Beak is just such a stupid move, and even some Grounds like my Seismotoad get cleaved through easily by LO-boosted Draco and EQ. Zolt is also the reason I in retrospect think Thundy-T may be preferably over standard Thundurus, just so you have another mon that doesn't just drop to Bolt Beak. It's kind of crazy how this one mon has completely shifted the dynamic between the two weathers. As for Hail- well, it's not so much Hail as it is Aloletales and crazy strong threats that abuse Veil- the need to counteract Veil is the reason I specifically went for specially defensive Politoed over the physically defensive variant Showdown recommended, because stopping Veil is just that crucial. It's something you definitely can play around, although it's not easy.

Overall, rain mainly suffers from:
  1. Politoed being a momentum sink due to lack of recovery and pivoting.
  2. Overreliance on special attackers, which means many rain teams can be stopped easily by special walls like Eviolite Chansey.
  3. Stacking up on Water types in general- giving your team major shared weaknesses in inherently very risky.

Other Observations
View attachment 289497View attachment 289499View attachment 289501View attachment 289496
Trick Room has been surprisingly common thus far; I possibly fought TR teams even more than I did Sun teams. These teams make consistently great use of setters like Cresselia, Hatterene and Stakataka, the latter two of whom also abuse it alongside scary mons like Glastrier. I've been rethinking several of my preliminary rankings solely because of how these teams have been gaining significantly more traction than I anticipated (although it might just be New Toy Syndrome). That said, they can be played around without too much difficulty, as seen here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1218775747
View attachment 289493
Chansey, while serving me as a defensive backbone, also proved to be the biggest hurdle for my team. You know when I mentioned that another major flaw of rain is overreliance on special attackers? In UU, that distinction is made almost solely due to Chansey; Chansey may be a bigger obstacle to rain than the other weathers. If you're running rain, you absolutely need at least one physical attacker who can blow through Chansey; Knock Off is also a great asset for Rain (maybe I could have given Toad that over Ice Punch?). Well, looks like my hatred isn't dead yet. #F*ckChansey
View attachment 289502
Yeah, Hawlucha is just as stupid as I anticipated. You basically need priority or else you just lose.
View attachment 289504
So, from my experience stall teams (yes, those do still exist) might be utilizing Imprison-Transform Mew. Definitely a gimmicky set, but I can't just stand by and leave you all unprepared for such a degenerate set (plus losing the game over it is just really frustrating). Beware Mew on stall.

Well, that's all I've seen while working with rain. What are your thoughts about Drizzle in the current meta?
You should consider using Barraskewda on your rain team. Banded Liquidation in Rain takes out almost everything it doesn't resist (and even some resists), and with Swift Swim you are not being outsped by anything. But I think you are correct about the other weathers - Rain is definitely not the best weather (not even close), as Sand w/ Dracozolt is extremely dangerous, and Sun is just as good as it has always been with Venusaur. Hail is good too but I don't think it's as alarmingly good as Sun/Sand teams.

Along the vein of the last couple posts above, I wanted to post a sample rain team that I've been having some good success with on ladder.
Click the team for Pokepaste link.
1604968884864.png1604968903924.png1604968930609.png1604968949305.png1604968965626.png1604971326182.png

1604969804454.png
: Obvious Damp Rock rain setter is obvious, with general utility in Toxic/Encore/Scald, and Weather Ball as an added precaution for some 1v1s.

1604969815431.png
: Specs Volc tears holes in teams under rain. Steam Eruption is a given, as it's easily its best water STAB (the accuracy over Hydro Pump makes it much better), and Fire Blast dunks on many common defensive or bulky mons that don't resist it. However, there is a little bit of anti-synergy with rain and Fire Blast, wherein you're sometimes better off just clicking Steam Eruption or Sludge Wave (situationally, for coverage). Despite this, Specs Volc is an incredible wallbreaker in and out of rain.

Sample calcs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 402-474 (124 - 146.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield in Rain: 301-355 (92.9 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Amoonguss: 578-684 (134.1 - 158.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole: 896-1056 (214.3 - 252.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole in Rain: 672-792 (160.7 - 189.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Celesteela: 390-462 (98.2 - 116.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Celesteela in Rain: 294-346 (74 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Rain: 259-306 (36.7 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Cresselia in Rain: 321-378 (72.4 - 85.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Glastrier in Rain: 372-438 (92 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Glastrier: 494-584 (122.2 - 144.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 708-834 (168.5 - 198.5%) --
guaranteed OHKO

There are more calcs I could include in here too, but I'm gonna keep it to this so it doesn't get too long. You get the idea, we all know what Specs Volc can do.

1604969830306.png
: Goltres is one of my favorite mons in the tier atm. Its snowballing potential is really quite crazy, with double dance setup in NP and agility, Weakness Policy, and Berserk. Under rain, hurricane cannot miss, which is especially deadly when Goltres has a boost or two up. Agility is necessary because at base 90, there's a lot in the tier that can revenge Goltres very effectively. For this reason, there's also some nice synergy between Goltres and Thunder Jirachi, as the extra paralysis chance really helps with some speed control. Like most things on this team, Goltres also synergizes well with Zeraora, as the Volt Absorb provides a crucial electric immunity. There's not too much else to say about Goltres here. It snowballs, it dents or destroys, it's powerful and dangerous as hell, and rain only increases this. Give it a try.

1604970165326.png
: Jirachi is mainly here for two reasons: wish support, and to be a general nuisance. Paralysis support by way of a 100% accurate Thunder under rain provides some crucial speed control that greatly assists both Volc and Goltres, who are some of the slower breaker on the team. Iron Head flinchhax are egregious as ever, but damn if they don't come in clutch sometimes. Wish support is very important for this team, as reliable recovery is fairly nonexistent. Most notably for Goltres, who lacks roost. Wish support also greatly assists in longevity for Barraskewda, who can be easily worn down by chip and hazards. One large flaw of this team is that it lacks hazard removal. If you can manage to fit it on somewhere, I would greatly recommend it. I couldn't really fit it on, but I'm sure you could figure out something.

1604970598539.png
: The primary abuser of rain on this team, Swift Swim go brrrrrr. I have this Skewda banded, but LO is also a solid option. I'm leaning towards trying LO, actually, but I've found great success with band. Flip Turn for momentum, Liquidation for primary STAB, CC for coverage nuke, and Throat Chop/Drill Run/Psychic Fangs/Poison Jab for situational coverage. Adjust to your needs and nuke accordingly. Skewda is an incredible breaker/cleaner and can outspeed virtually the entire tier under rain. Skewda is Skewda, and Skewda go brrrrr.

1604970834915.png
: Zera is here for electric immunity and speed control. It synergizes remarkably well with the waters and Goltres, as it provides an essential immunity while providing Knock Off and Volt Switch momentum. Zera does Zera things.

Weather Wars™ seem to be the law of the land right now, with Sand and Sun being incredible archetypes with their respective breakers. Dracozolt in particular gives this team some problems, but with several options to remove both Hippo and sand through rain setting, it can be worked around with good play. Like I said above, hazards also give this team some trouble. Without any removal, the team is prone to getting chipped down fairly quickly. If you can fit removal in, I would strongly recommend it. Otherwise, abuse rain while we can and have some fun.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

soo blacephalon, the one mon I hated in OU. But it was dumped here in UU, it has excellent speed, has a high 151 base sp attack stat, has great stabs that go unresisted by the tier. It also has 4 sets to my knowledge, the boots attacker, scarf, specs, and Sub CM. All 4 of these sets counter each others checks, like specs gets walled by chansey, but Sub cm just sits on it and sets up, boots counter its rocks weakness and helps its hit and run nature. Specs turn it into a nuke capable of 2 shotting hippo cleanly without rocks.

252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 265-313 (63 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 48 SpD Kommo-o: 138-162 (38.9 - 45.7%) -- Guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Psychic vs. 252 HP / 48 SpD Kommo-o: 302-356 (85.3 - 100.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Like look at this. Hippo at 100% is cleanly 2hko'ed, and kommo just needs ~30% chip to be put into range of 2 fire blast. While psychic Ohkoing after 10% of damage which is easy to achieve. Yes it has checks, but you dont have switch ins. Like hippo can sponge 2 fire blast if its not specs, but its dropped otherwise, chansey can sit on any set barring sub cm, and scarf keldeo beats any set. But the point is that you have to run chansey, or sack a mon to scout what the set is. I feel like this is a banworthy pokemon and hydreigon resist both its stabs yet it takes more than 50% from fire blast if its specs, and hydreigon will get worn down unless it is lefties and roosts a lot

Amaroq

Cover me.
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wow, it's been a long time since I made one of these posts. Anyway, I just wanted to share a few things I've been liking in the current meta. I think the people who have already posted have covered most of the brokens, so I just wanted to focus on a few things no one's said much about that seem solid, but not overbearing and then share a team I've been enjoying at the end of the post.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Hippowdon has already gotten a bit of discussion, but mostly in the context of weather/Dracozolt, so I just wanted to point out that it's a really good standalone defensive Pokemon in its own right, being able to check stuff like Scizor, Dracozolt, Bisharp, Zeraora, and so on. I used a physically defensive spread in the few games I've played so far, but a specially defensive version probably works just fine. Hippowdon's huge HP stat lets it serve as a solid mixed wall no matter which defensive stat you invest your EVs in (for example, Hippowdon only needs 16 SpD EVs to always survive a +1 Volcarona Fire Blast from full), and a respectable attack stat, a decent offensive movepool (STAB Earthquake, 4x super effective coverage on major threats), and access to utility moves like Stealth Rock, Toxic, Whirlwind, and Yawn let it actually do something while walling stuff. Sandstorm is also nice to chip Pokemon that rely on Heavy Duty Boots and don't have innate recovery.

Celesteela seems to be getting a lot more of the hype, but Skarmory still has some advantages over the competition. While Celesteela has much better special bulk and offensive presence, Skarmory offers plenty of utility that Celesteela wishes it had (hazards, Defog, and Whirlwind, as well as more niche options like Counter and Taunt) and has better longevity with Roost. Body Press and 140 base Defense offers it another way of differentiating itself from Celesteela. I won't bother posting a set for this once since Skarmory has a lot of moves it can run, so feel free to select whatever combination fits a given team.

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 240 HP / 124 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Tapu Lele's Psychic Terrain is flashier, but Tapu Bulu manages to be quite good as well. Grassy Terrain offers great team support by providing longevity to Tapu Bulu's teammates, which is especially nice to offset Life Orb damage on stuff like Dracozolt or Flame Orb damage on Guts wallbreakers like Conkeldurr and to provide some sustain to pivots like Incineroar that rely on Heavy Duty Boots and don't have innate ways to recover health. The EVs on this set allow you to take 2 Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pumps fairly comfortably and outspeed offensive Celesteela. There are plenty of other Tapu Bulu sets that are probably viable (Choice Band, Bulk Up, defensive sets, etc.), but this one is the one I've tried out. I think it takes advantage of Tapu Bulu's defensive properties without sacrificing offensive presence and feel that Tapu Bulu needs to make significant defensive contributions in a meta with a lot of good checks that fit naturally on teams.

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

I'll finish this off with a couple of revenge killers I think are good right now. Nihilego can revenge big boosting threats like Volcarona, Salamence, and Gyarados, while also taking out naturally fast Pokemon like Weavile, Zarude, both Thundurus forms, and Noivern. It also offers snowball potential with Beast Boost and has the typing and special bulk to serve as an offensive check to other prominent Pokemon like Blacephalon, Galarian Moltres, and Togekiss. Pair it with any of the many wallbreakers that can pressure Steel-types.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Megahorn

Terrakion is similar to Nihilego, except with slightly better speed (allowing it to prevent Scarf Blacephalon from snowballing), a better offensive typing, and more physical bulk. Terrakion trades Nihilego's snowball potential for higher immediate damage output from its better Attack stat and higher-power STAB moves, so which one fits on a given team really depends on teammates. While Terrakion doesn't really need more than its STABs, Earthquake and Megahorn give it more reliable ways of revenging Pokemon like Blacephalon, Latias, and Gengar.

The last thing I want to do is post a team that I used for the first round of the Crown Tundra tour and played some games with on the ladder.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 188 SpD / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Body Press
- Roost

Incineroar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 84 SpD / 176 Spe
Careful Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Toxic

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 240 HP / 124 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Flip Turn
- Icy Wind

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

It's just a simple spikestack that revolves around setting up hazards and pressuring the opponent with Keldeo, Tapu Bulu, and Dracozolt. Incineroar and Keldeo help pivot Tapu Bulu and Dracozolt onto the field. Hippowdon, Skarmory, and Incineroar cover a good chunk of the meta defensively and help wear down opposing Pokemon through hazards, sand, Knock Off, and Toxic. Incineroar, Keldeo, and Tapu Bulu have good synergy together and can cover most of each other's answers while also providing either pivot support or additional longevity. Dracozolt serves as a breaker, cleaner, and source of speed control all at once.

Closing thoughts: Dracozolt is stupid, weather is really obnoxious, Veil/Screens need to disappear forever, Tapu Lele enables a lot of nonsense, Blacephalon is a pain, and I can't wait for the 15th so we can actually tier properly.

Last edited:
Also, some pokemon I feel are underused and underestimated is Choice Band scizor, with the addition of magnezone, no one runs magneton anymore, so scizor can benchmark 220 speed to outspeed modest zone and superpower it back. Knock is valuable since nothing is sponging it. Lele terrain is very annoying but lele lost hp fire in return, being unable to dent scizor barring specs focus blast. Due to the lost of hp fire scizor no longer gives a damn about random coverage options.

Another one I want to give out is specs/scarf latias. Last gen scarf was bad because trick wasn't very good, krook pursuited it easily, and calm mind sets were generally better. Now trick is amazing, pursuit being gone is huge for latias, and no longer has to compete with Z sets. Specs and scarf can act as wallbreakers and fast revenge killers. And a set that I liked for them is trick recover dual stabs. Why? because it lures celesteela, their biggest check and tricks them while gaining lefties in return and residually healing and celesteela is crippled due to having a scarf or specs both of which are equally detrimental. So I feel like choiced latias is gonna be so much better.

Hello friends (and enemies),

I have decided to take the time to make a counterpoint post in an attempt to stick up for all of the beautiful mons that people are clamoring to get banned for being "broken", "overpowered", or considered "too much" for this meta. Yes this may be the case for some, but I do not think it is as egregious as it may seem on initial glance. I have narrowed it down to a few that I believe are getting the most discussion. So without further ado, let's get down to it, in no particular order:

:ss/tapu lele:

Tapu Lele has been both praised and vilified in this new meta. When it dropped, it was an immediate shock to the conscious on how a Tapu Lele could possibly be included in a UU meta. But lads, let me tell you - Tapu Lele has been helping to hold together this tier since it arrived. By canceling out priority, you are neutralizing what would be a lot of unbelievably powerful priority sweepers, such as Azumarill and Scizor. The main argument for its ban, though, is that it enables your own sweepers to set up and sweep easy without priority. Well, this was available in UU for a while with Indeedee anyways. If you ban Tapu Lele people who really want to keep up terrain can use Indeedee instead and have the same effect. So then, it must be a combination of Lele's sheer power and typing, plue the terrain, that pushes it over the edge? 95 is not a great Speed Tier, and most Lele's are choice locked into a move that has either many resists or an immunity. Additionally, the lost of Hidden Power and the Gamefreak Denial of access to Mystical Fire make it very difficult for Lele to deal with steel mons (it has to rely on Focus Miss now). Most steel mons are pretty safe switch ins. Even a Thunderbolt on Celesteela does very little damage. So, Lele is great, but maybe not necessarily worthy of an immediate quickban.

PRO BAN: Enables Sweeper Priority Immunity, Very high offensive capabilities.
NO BAN: usually choice locked, attacks have many resistances and immunities, checked by most steel types other than Focus Miss.

:ss/Haxorus:

Haxorus is great, but it's not exactly "top tier" UU mon atm. Maybe things will change with the new rises and drops, but right now its amazing power is overshadowed by other dragons like Salamence, or other DD sweepers like Gyarados. The coverage is also nearly the same on every Haxorus - Dragon, EQ, Poison Jab, or CC. Maybe First Impression if you want a Band set. I actually see some Haxorus going with a Scarf set since it's hard for one to get set up with DD or Scale Shot in the current meta. If it has no CC, something like Celesteela or Skarmory almost totally walls it. It has many checks as well, such as Scarf Lele, Salamence, Hydreigon etc. And if it's chipped, you can even Ice Shard it with Weavile or Mamoswine. I don't think this thing should even be on the radar atm.

PRO BAN: Rly rly strong, can set up and sweep.
NO BAN: Not much stronger than other options (weaker than many), has decent number of checks.

:ss/Hydreigon:

Hydreigon is one of those things that people thought was going to tear up the tier, but it's mostly just been a solid, yet not overpowering, option for many teams. It is not going to outspeed most other offensive powerhouses unless it has scarf, and with scarf it loses access to Nasty Plot. The best ones I've seen have been more defensive oriented with roost, no scarf, no nasty plot. Hydreigon was a solid UU option in USUM UU and I don't think Nast Plot has put it over the edge in any way for this generation. In fact, losing Z Moves may have even been a big downer as it can no longer Z Draco or Z Corkscrew for fairies. If you ever sit down and play against one of these, you'll realize that you're not really having much of a hard time at all and it just feels like a normal fight.

PRO BAN: Gained access to Nasty Plot
NO BAN: Low speed tier, scarf invalidates Nasty Plot, still plays similar to USUM UU.

:ss/Aegislash:

Aegislash was the topic of the last seminar we had, and most people had very few things to say about it as it's currently quite underwhelming. The Sub Toxic set is very popular, as is the Specs set. It can also opt for Automotize, or the old school SD set. That's a lot of possibilities for one mon, but none of them translate to an overbearing powerhouse. Going faster with Automotize can sometimes be a disadvantage for Aegislash, since that opens it up to bigger damage from a counterattack when it's in Sword Form. Steel is not a good offensive type, and neither is Ghost. The sub toxic plays out similar to a Jirachi sub toxic set (which again, is very good), but is quite easy to stop with anything immune to toxic. Access to Close Combat definitely made physical Aegislash stronger, but most people are not using that right now at all. Add the fact that King's Shield got a nerf this gen, and it may just be alright for the current UU metagame. I will admit this is very hard to say right now though, and will probably need to be re-evaluated after the next shifts to see how it plays out.

PRO BAN: It's Aegislash, yo, the Gen 6 Uber.
NO BAN: Currently not overly impressing in the UU metagame.

:ss/Ninetales-Alola:

So nobody thinks Ninetales-A is broken on its own. The problem everyone has is with veil. I could sit here and write up a paragraph on why veil is not the problem. But don't take it from me: just read Lily's post instead on why: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-ss-uu-stage-8-highway-to-hell.3672677/post-8646115

:ss/Salamence:

Salamence got Dual Wingbeat. Madness has... not quite followed. Mence is very strong, and can sweep an entire team if you let it get out of hand. But that's your solution to it right there: do not let it get out of hand. It's the same with many DD sweepers - don't let it get into a position where it can set up and sweep in the first place, and if you do, stop it immdiately. You can send in a solid check like Celesteela or a scarfer that will outspeed even with one DD. There's also things like Mamoswine and Weavile that can just OHKO it with Ice Shard if you let it set up. And then you have the all-powerful Unaware mons of Quagsire and Pyukmuku that are currently very underappreciated. Finally, other options like a defensive Grimmsnarl have little problems against most Salamence sets. A lot of people actually aren't even using the DD Sweeping Mence - instead they are opting for a more support Mence w/ Intimidate. And it has proven to be a nice addition that gives some variety to teambuilding. This, I believe, is healthy for the meta, as opposed to unhealthy.

PRO BAN: DD Sweep is scary
NO BAN: Has checks, can be revenge killed, adds a positive dynamic to the current metagame.

:ss/Gyarados:

The other DD Sweeper that has just arrived. Gyarados is similar to Mence, except nobody uses anything other than a DD Sweep Gyarados so it's more one-dimensional. You can opt for either Intimidate or Moxie, but Moxie gets it out of control more quickly. Gyarados is probably more dangerous in what it does, as it's not weak to any priority other than Lycanroc, and it is a bit more tanky than Mence. The key, again is to not let it get out of hand and send it the emergency checks immediately. Fortunately, it is usually limited to the same three moves: Waterfall, Bounce, and Power Whip. Some hipsters might use Earthquake or Ice Fang but usually it's those three things. The checks do exist here, although there are few. What I have seen many people do is bait it - send in a grass type, then immediately switch out to something that resists bounce so they can catch it on the Turn 2 Attack and counter attack, but that's a bit of a ridiculous strategy to have to rely on. A more consistent option would be anything bulky that can hit it back or status it - such as Klefki w/ Foul Play or T Wave, or an Umbreon. Or send out something with a scarf that can KO it (Gyarados is slow so almost any scarfer will outspeed at +1). How it will usually play out is you send this out, Gyarados DD's, and then it forces it to switch out because it doesn't want to deal with these and break its momentum. In spite of all of this, I do admit Gyarados is quite strong though.

PRO BAN: DD Sweep can get out of hand, not a lot of options to stop it.
NO BAN: The options to stop it DO exist, you just have to stop it quickly.

:ss/Volcarona:

Volcarona is one of the scariest mons on paper to enter the tier. With boots it doesn't fear rocks, and once it gets on a roll it's all over. Or so it seems. When you actually play against it, you'll realize you probably have one or two Volcarona checks/counters already built into your team. It's weak to priority Jet, and also Lycanroc Accel (which will OHKO it). It doesn't do much to special tanks, particularly Diance and Chansey, or a more niche option of Mantine (or Politoed if you are a rain team), and if it doesn't have sub it will be vulnerable to status. Its speed tier is decent, but with so many double speed sweepers running around (rain sweepers like Barra/Kingdra, sand sweepers like Dracozolt, Hawlucha Unburden sweepers like Hawlucha), it actually does have some answers. And, again, the weakness to priority means things like Crawdaunt, Azumarill, and Lycanroc can just come in and KO it. So yes, it is very strong, but it has answers right now.

PRO BAN: If you don't have any of the numerous checks to it, you will probably die.
NO BAN: Use one of the numerous checks available, and actually you may realize you've had a check on your team all along.

:ss/Victini:

Ok so Victini thing hits very hard. With Band. In Sun. It is LOL damage. This may be a harder mon to defend against the ban train, but I'm going to go for it anyways. Victini excels in that it can run Band, Scarf, or Boots, and destroy things with V-Create. However, Victini has not yet figured out how to use all three items at once. A Band Victini set is usually good for one or two nukes before you are able to wear it down with hazards. A scarf set lacks the power of the Band, and you will often find it is mostly used to pivot. The scarf set, like the band set, also gets worn down with hazards, but is more difficult to counter because of the scarf speed. A boots set is more versatile, but lacks the power of the Band, and its speed is not amazing so it will get outsped by many common threats like Terrakion, Blacephalon, Weavile, Lycanroc, etc. It's also weak to almost every kind of priority (Jet, Sneak, Sucker, Accelrock), so if it's sufficiently chipped you can finish it off easily. The banded V Create is definitely one of (if not the) most powerful attack in all of UU right now. You will be taking some casualties if it gets in safely. But it will not sweep your entire team. Is that enough to not get it banned? Maybe, maybe not. Only the future council can see.

PRO BAN: Band V Create in Sun go brrrrrr
NO BAN: It has checks and you can wear it down with hazards usually.

:ss/Blacephalon:

Speaking of Blacephalon, here it is. It is certainly a thing that will blow your mind. So why keep something whose special attack and speed combination is matched only by Mewtwo and Calyrex-Shadow? (Yes, those are the only other two pokemon with Speed > 100 and Special Attack > 150). Well, it's very frail, for one. It has the same priority weaknesses as Victini except it's OHKO'd by all of them. The Choice sets get Choice locked, and a special tank like Chansey can handle even specs Fire Blast without much issue. The sub/CM set w/ boots is scary, but if you swap out right away to stop it then it will just get one sub up and no boosts and be forced to attack. Hydreigon is usually a good option for any set (although it still takes a lot from Specs Fire Blast). Any double speed sweeper (weather sweepers, Hawlucha sweepers) will outspeed and OHKO it usually. So, yes, it's very very very strong and problematic. But it's not impossible to deal with.

PRO BAN: Why is Fire Mewtwo allowed in here?
NO BAN: If you are very, very, very careful, you can handle it with a few select checks.

:ss/Dracozolt:

So I was trying to defend Dracozolt in the seminar this weekend. I was not able to do so successfully. Bolt Beak is insane levels of damage to anything not immune or x4 resistant. Perhaps the best counter to it would be another Dracozolt, scarfed, to then revenge kill the other Dracozolt. The Sand Rush Dracozolt is currently the more dangereous of the options. A very niche way to deal with it something like Comfey. Otherwise, you are forced to stall out the sand somehow or change the weather yourself, then deal with it easily with the sand gone. I will admit that this thing is a bit too strong, but I don't think we will need to worry about it because it may rise to OU on its own in a week.

PRO BAN: It hits everything except Hippowdon like a ton of bricks.
NO BAN: You can't ban me if I'm already in OU next week!

:ss/Hawlucha:

Finally, we've arrived at the Hawlucha. A true high flying hero. Hawlucha is extremely powerful, especially with terrain seeds to immediately activate Unburden and enhance its defenses. The best counter, Aegislash, can take heavy damage with a boosted Throat Chop. Nothing will outspeed it except for Barraskewda in rain. If your team is even remotely chipped, one Swords Dance will spell the end for everything you've known. Your only hope is to sacrifice your beautifully sashed Alakazam to take it down. Yeah I've got nothing here, this thing probably needs to get banned ASAP.

---
---

Anyways that's my twenty three cents. I am not saying we should not take any action whatsoever, but I felt it important to offer a counterpoint to many of the points made about banning these things. Quickbanning is usually for extreme things - we can always suspect things that do not quite make it to that level later on.

And also, the meta is really fun right now.

One large flaw of this team is that it lacks hazard removal. If you can manage to fit it on somewhere, I would greatly recommend it. I couldn't really fit it on, but I'm sure you could figure out something.
Hi
I read your post and a adition can be :thundurus-therian: over Zeraora... you lose some speed control but you gain hazzard control and mantain knock off, electric inmunity and volt switch support..
Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Thunder/Weather Ball
Also Thundurus has STAB Thunder in rain (more paralisis) or Weather Ball to cach Ground- types tryng to block volt switch

Another option could be running max hp in evs bc is most a utilty mon over a true breaker

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
After a little over a week of playing, people have caught on to the really good and broken mons. I won't spend too much time discussing the broken stuff, but I will say barring some immense shift November 15th, I will be voting ban on Hawlucha, Blacephalon, and Dracozolt. Other stuff like Gyarados, Azumarill, Aegislash, Weavile etc are also really strong, but the former 3 are too oppressive to keep in the first wave of bans. I don't even know what will be on the full slate but I will personally stage a coup if they are not.

Instead, I want to focus on some of the lesser used threats.

1605016510690.png

This goddamn succubus has caused be to toss more SM teams in the trash than any other Pokemon, and now she is back to stuff me and my builder in the locker where my garbabe ass belongs. Already have I constructed what would otherwise be a flawless team only to run into this demon (or its bunny counterpart) and subsequently get 6-0d as it Scalds my Scizor and burns it. Specs does Specs things, but SubCM is unkillable once it gets going. And if you have one of: Salamence, Hydreigon, Hippowdon, Volcarona, Weavile, Conkeldurr, Buzzwole, Keldeo, Kommo-O, Blace, Latias, etc etc it is going to get going. Amoonguss isn't even something you can mindlessly slap on anymore since a bit of Spdef investment means its base 40 SpA isn't breaking sub at +1. I guess I will just run Bulu on all my teams and take out my anger on my Prim body pillow.

1605016801848.png

Losing Slowbro has been a huge boost for daddy Terrakion since it can freely drop Megahorn for Earthquake. With Swords Dance and LO, Terrakion has become unwallable as Palossand heads straight to RU/NU. It's speed tier is just enough to not fear Blace, and it takes advantage of many strong new toys in Hydreigon and Volcarona. I have enjoyed pairing it with Lele since getting revenged by every priority ever was one of its biggest weaknesses, so Sciz/Azu/Conk are now useless.

1605017076875.png

As Amukamara once said eloquently, "Diggersby FUCKS." SD with EQ/QA/Fire Punch hits the entire tier neutrally and crushes normal switch ins after a boost like Skarm, Celesteela, Hippowdon, and Buzzwole. The biggest flaw is how mediocre Quick Attack is for a priority (rip to every Ghost) but there are very few Pokemon that are scarier to deal with after a free turn.

1605017255757.png

Scizor is interesting because it terrorized SM with its offensive SD sets, but with the addition of a million Fire-types and Celesteela, they seem to be a lot tamer. Tapu Lele hard stopping BP sweeps is also huge, so I've been using bulkier SD sets with Knock that allow me to both switch into Lele and cripple defensive switch-ins. I don't need to explain how good knocking a Fire-type's boots or Celesteela's Leftovers are, and Knock also lets you touch Aegislash. I think CB sets also have a place on vortex teams still as well. In a vacuum, CB U-Turn still is not punishable and relying on Celesteela is never a sure thing with Magnezone lurking around.

1605017513851.png

The steamer is absolutely fantastic. Boots were such a huge boost and with Latias' low usage alongside spamming of Volcarona, Azumarill, Hippowdon + Steela cores, Scizor, Volcanion has become stupid splashable. Boots + 3 attacks is really hard to switch into while also offering hazard removal utility. Not much else to say, use him more.

1605017659964.png

Stall has fallen under the radar with all the new hard-hitting toys, but at the same time, stall just got a bunch new toys to use. Celesteela, Skarmory, Buzzwole, Tapu Bulu, Salamence, Tangrowth, Amoonguss, Nihilego, Scizor, Kommo-o, and Hydreigon are all viable and wall a good chunk of the metagame. It isn't a stupid powerful threat it was last gen, but with time and bans, I am sure it will rise to be a viable play style once more.

Last edited:
:volcarona: is probably one of the most important mons at the moment imo as some people think it’s broken where as some people think it’s not. I have to agree that both sides have great arguments and I’m truly undecided. It’s easy to immediately think it’s banworthy because at +1 it takes a herculean effort to drive it into the ground. However I do get that it could be manageable - for instance it has a few natural checks like gyara and mence and it’s kind of susceptible to priority. Bisharp is doing pretty well with cobalion seeing an extremely sudden drop in usage and sucker punch from it does well over half. Then again its checks are on the whole somewhat few and far in between especially on more offensive builds so you could make the over centralizing argument. I’m really undecided on this mon but it’s pretty undeniably good.

:terrakion: I agree is pretty great in this meta. Its versatility also meshes pretty well with it as it can set up rocks, be a SD breaker, run choice. No slowbro is pretty clutch too. In fact, I think a lot of the drops are even better for it because it’s able to break through some annoying mons most teams struggle with like celesteela etc. Terrakion is probably sitting a spot where it will always be a consistently good mon in the meta but it definitely got better.

:sharpedo: despite being the least used mon in UU I still think sharpedo is a remarkable cleaner in the meta, it didn’t get better or worse I just think it’s a mon that most teams in the meta aren’t prepared for. Kind of short thoughts on it but it really cleans up most
teams with ease

Re: :hydreigon:, I’m in the same boat as BigFatMantis because I truly did think it was going to demolish the tier. But it struggles with some pretty awful 4MSS; it has to run nasty plot to be an effective breaker and wants to run both STABS and one of either flamethrower/flash cannon/roost/rarely focus blast. All this combines to it being checked naturally by some 1 or 2 Pokémon on another team usually. If you don’t run flash cannon fairies have a field day with you, if you don’t run flamethrower bulky steel types check it (but in all fairness will lose on 1 on 1) and if you don’t roost (which in my eyes is the best fourth move) you get worn down with LO (I’ve been playing with dragon fang a bit too) and get picked off. I think as the meta goes on we’re going to see if be a consistent A rank Pokemon but nothing gamebreaking. Scarf Hydrei is great as a momentum grabber but can come off as weak or be setup fodder after using draco or being locked into like a move that some other mon can take advantage of. Jury is still out on this mon though

Hydreigon doesn't need to run both stabs, stab draco at +2 is a nuke to any mon that isn't called a fairy

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Jirachi: 266-315 (78 - 92.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

Like that is a straight up nuke alright, and flamethrower to murder celesteela at +2

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Celesteela: 361-426 (90.9 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO.

Yes fairies are a problem, but you will always have team support, and you wont rely on hydreigon as your sole wallbreaker. Scarf us a standard set for hydreigon. Revenging and pivoting out of threats. Specs is a straight up nuke. Defog drei can fit on stall as like it did on gen 7.

Hydreigon doesn't need to run both stabs, stab draco at +2 is a nuke to any mon that isn't called a fairy

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Jirachi: 266-315 (78 - 92.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

Like that is a straight up nuke alright, and flamethrower to murder celesteela at +2

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Celesteela: 361-426 (90.9 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO.

Yes fairies are a problem, but you will always have team support, and you wont rely on hydreigon as your sole wallbreaker. Scarf us a standard set for hydreigon. Revenging and pivoting out of threats. Specs is a straight up nuke. Defog drei can fit on stall as like it did on gen 7.
Like said before, if you run scarf you can’t use nasty plot, and when you use nasty plot in an actual game its clear that a) its defensive typing and uninvested bulk make it so much harder to do so in practice (and if you’re facing a stall team chansey says hi) and b) its pretty awkward speed tier doesn’t help it at all against offensive teams. I will agree a bit tho that draco + flamethrower is a pretty good combo but then you’re just even more walled by Sylveon Azu prim tapu lele which the former three flash cannon can actually do a number to

You also kind of ignored my issues with scarf - it’s obviously a solid set, but unless you’re locked into U-turn you’re pretty much susceptible at all times you’re locked into a move. If you’re locked into draco you’re completely setup fodder. If you’re locked into any other special attack many mons can take advantage of that too (if you even think about being locked into flamethrower you just lose to a Gyarados or something) and once again its doodoo defensive typing doesn’t do it any favors here.

I haven’t used specs hydrei but I can actually agree here defogdreigon is solid.

Last edited:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Let's keep this thread more on topic guys; it's not really the place to argue whether or not Hydreigon can drop Chansey in 1 or whether or not it can trash stall. We have a discord server if you wanna have those arguments; this is a place to discuss the metagame, not arguments about a specific Pokemon's matchup against X, Y or Z that span across 10 posts.

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Ok fellas, I'm gonna give my thoughts on things that I've been screwing around with.

If it isn't obvious, we've been currently stuck in this wallbreaker megalovania 7th circle of hell of a metagame and we're likely to be suffering for about another week. So let's make the best of what we've got with it.

:bw/amoonguss: + :bw/magnezone:
Amoonguss @ Eject Button
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Do you hate the prospect of switching in your Magnezone, only to face the wrath of a Celesteela’s flamethrower? Do you hate getting worn down easily by the incredibly annoying Leech Seed? Well boy do we have a surprise for you! With the coveted Eject Button Amoonguss, you can come in for free on any bulky Celesteela, eat a flamethrower, switch to your Magnezone and be good to go!
This also works against other Steels as well!*
*side effects may include having to be specs in order to OHKO from full, and even then if you’re modest you only have a 31% chance to do so, because celesteela is a fat fuck and my god that son of a bitch never dies without chipping away at something or even getting a kill that piece of shit

To showcase this amazing tech, I built it utilizing an ancient technique that people from the past used as a method of breaking: Dragmag! That’s right, folks, Dragmag is indeed back!
:bw/latias: :bw/salamence: :bw/magnezone: :bw/azumarill:
:bw/amoonguss: :bw/jirachi:
https://pokepast.es/d4b26a9b37112a61

This illustrious iteration of an age-old playstyle features the requisite Dragon sweeper Salamence, who brings fear into all those who are chipped into its snowballing range. Scarf Latias blitzes past even the fastest snowballers and quickly neutralizes them. Magnezone and Amoonguss’s purposes have already been showcased, but it should be noted that should you struggle against Suicune, Seed Bomb with a Relaxed Nature should be able to check it outside of stray Scald burns, preventing setup fodder. It’s what I used, anyway. Banded Azumarill’s unfathomable wrath lets it shred through defense and offense alike, with it’s only blind spots being incredibly slow, and sometimes, prediction reliant. And finally, Jirachi serves as the Stealth Rocker, secondary Steel to fend off psychic terrain offense, and a nice pivot. Now the team does struggle to switch in to Blacephalon’s Shadow Ball, but through Aqua Jet Azu and Scarf Latias, it shouldn’t bother you too much.

ramolost

parfum quartier
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
View attachment 290242
This goddamn succubus has caused be to toss more SM teams in the trash than any other Pokemon, and now she is back to stuff me and my builder in the locker where my garbabe ass belongs. Already have I constructed what would otherwise be a flawless team only to run into this demon (or its bunny counterpart) and subsequently get 6-0d as it Scalds my Scizor and burns it. Specs does Specs things, but SubCM is unkillable once it gets going. And if you have one of: Salamence, Hydreigon, Hippowdon, Volcarona, Weavile, Conkeldurr, Buzzwole, Keldeo, Kommo-O, Blace, Latias, etc etc it is going to get going. Amoonguss isn't even something you can mindlessly slap on anymore since a bit of Spdef investment means its base 40 SpA isn't breaking sub at +1. I guess I will just run Bulu on all my teams and take out my anger on my Prim body pillow.
sharing this set since ive been using it in natdex for sub cm prim and since this demon is in the tier now :
:bw/amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

well ok no hp fire since this is natdex but just filler it but this checks sub prim (you can use spDef i guess). item can be whatever by the way no item is decent at checking sd daunt.

Last edited:

Askov

Explode
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
sharing this set since ive been using it in natdex for sub cm prim and since this demon is in the tier now :
:bw/amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

well ok no hp fire since this is natdex but just filler it but this checks sub prim (you can use spDef i guess). item can be whatever by the way no item is decent at checking sd daunt.
idk exactly how much physical bulk subcm prim uses but an option on the filler slot could be:

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth/Confide

Growth allows amoonguss to break prim's subs reliably even if u get burned. Another option would be confide since although u dont break the subs reliably u can at least prevent it from getting out of control

PRO BAN: It hits everything except Hippowdon like a ton of bricks.

It's worth noting that the mixed LO set that's been gaining traction in OU turns the tables here: With a Rash nature and at least 164 SpA EVs, it trades off a slightly weaker Bolt Beak for the ability to 2HKO Hippo with Draco Meteor on the switch.

164+ SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 394-464 (93.8 - 110.4%) -- guaranteed KO after Stealth Rock
232+ SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 421-496 (100.2 - 118%) -- guaranteed KO

It's worth noting that the mixed LO set that's been gaining traction in OU turns the tables here: With a Rash nature and at least 164 SpA EVs, it trades off a slightly weaker Bolt Beak for the ability to 2HKO Hippo with Draco Meteor on the switch.

164+ SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 394-464 (93.8 - 110.4%) -- guaranteed KO after Stealth Rock
232+ SpA Life Orb Dracozolt Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 421-496 (100.2 - 118%) -- guaranteed KO
Actually as the person who created the popular OU set I just wanna step in here and say that the best Zolt set is actually 212 SPA EV's with a rash nature. It still 1-2hko'd all the relevant grounds you need it to.

This also allows you to invest 88 in attack and still outspeed base 95's at +1 with a speed boosting nature.

Last edited:
Mid-November shifts are here guys and heres what happened

Buzzwole moved from UU to OU
Nidoking moved from UU to OU
Barraskewda moved from RU to OU
Ditto moved from OU to PU
Sharpedo moved from UU to RUBL
Aerodactyl moved from UU to RU
Araquanid moved from UU to RU
Articuno-Galar moved from UU to RU
Bronzong moved from UU to RU
Celebi moved from UU to RU
Chandelure moved from UU to RU
Cloyster moved from UU to RU
Conkeldurr moved from UU to RU
Cresselia moved from UU to RU
Darmanitan moved from UU to RU
Dhelmise moved from UU to RU
Diancie moved from UU to RU
Diggersby moved from UU to RU
Doublade moved from UU to RU
Durant moved from UU to RU
Entei moved from UU to RU
Flygon moved from UU to RU
Froslass moved from UU to RU
Gengar moved from UU to RU
Golisopod moved from UU to RU
Grimmsnarl moved from UU to RU
Haxorus moved from UU to RU
Heliolisk moved from UU to RU
Klefki moved from UU to RU
Kyurem moved from UU to RU
Lycanroc-Dusk moved from UU to RU
Malamar moved from UU to RU
Metagross moved from UU to RU
Mienshao moved from UU to RU
Mimikyu moved from UU to RU
Necrozma moved from UU to RU
Ninetales-Alola moved from UU to RU
Noivern moved from UU to RU
Obstagoon moved from UU to RU
Omastar moved from UU to RU
Palossand moved from UU to RU
Polteageist moved from UU to RU
Porygon-Z moved from UU to RU
Raikou moved from UU to RU
Regigigas moved from UU to RU
Registeel moved from UU to RU
Roserade moved from UU to RU
Rotom-Mow moved from UU to RU
Scolipede moved from UU to RU
Scyther moved from UU to RU
Slowbro-Galar moved from UU to RU
Slowking-Galar moved from UU to RU
Suicune moved from UU to RU
Sylveon moved from UU to RU
Talonflame moved from UU to RU
Tangrowth moved from UU to RU
Terrakion moved from UU to RU
Thundurus moved from UU to RU
Togekiss moved from UU to RU
Toxtricity moved from UU to RU
Tsareena moved from UU to RU
Umbreon moved from UU to RU
Uxie moved from UU to RU
Venusaur moved from UU to RU
Weezing-Galar moved from UU to RU
Zarude moved from UU to RU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)