Announcement np: SV OU Suspect Process, Round 4 - Who Let The Dogs Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader

Hey everyone, the OU tiering council has decided to test Zamazenta-Hero!

Zamazenta-Hero was a part of the two most recent tiering radars (1 & 2). Each time, it narrowly escaped a ban with a 4-5 and 5-4 margin respectively, leaving it just one vote short of entering the Ubers tier. As we pivot into a more normal metagame state, the SV OU tiering council wants to use this opportunity to suspect Zamazenta-Hero so the community can decide its placement. It is likely that other surveys and suspects are to follow as well! For reference, here is the last vote on Zamazenta-Hero.
Zamazenta-Hero
FinchinatorBan
RuftBan
ausmaDo not ban
imaBan
mind gamingDo not ban
NJNPDo not ban
StarBan
TPPBan
xavgbDo no ban

Again: only 5 of the nine councilmen voted to ban Zamazenta-Hero when it needed a minimum of 6 to get banned, so we announced yesterday we were going to let a suspect determine it as the metagame pivots forward.

In one of the most interesting developments of this young generation, Zamazenta's Hero form finds itself in the rare position of being a cover legend that is not a surefire Uber. While the heroics of being anointed an Uber seemed to be destiny for its crowned counterpart, the Warrior Pokemon's original form has been a topic of debate throughout the community since it dropped into OU upon the release of Pokemon HOME!

Zamazenta-Hero has always been a very fast Pokemon with 138 base Speed and it was able to pack a punch with 120 base Attack. However, this generation the ability Dauntless Shield was weakened to only improve Zamazenta's defense by one stage the first time it entered rather than each individual time. It was not all negatives for Zamazenta though; it gained access to Body Press, which is ultimately what broke Zamazenta-Crowned and what most Zamazenta-Hero run. While it is true that Zamazenta-Hero can opt to run an offensively focused set such as Choice Band to make the most of its aforementioned superb speed and high attack, these sets tend to be checked by fairly standard defensive countermeasures that we already see within our metagame often enough. Offensive variants are plenty viable and deserve mention, but these Zamazenta-Hero sets are not the bulk of why it is being suspected.

A mini-game known as Iron Defense + Body Press simulator exists when Zamazenta-Hero is summoned onto the field in most instances. Not every adversary is worthy of trying to outmaneuver the protagonist, but some can as our metagame is littered with Fighting resists and some Fighting immunities. In addition, this caused the uptick in opposing Tera Ghost Pokemon and Encore utilization. Truth be told: Zamazenta-Hero is a polarizing Pokemon with bolstered defenses thanks to the newly found Body Press. It typically runs a set with Iron Defense, Body Press, Crunch -- oftentimes with Tera type Dark, and Substitute, but it can opt for other coverage moves over Crunch or even Rest or another attack over Substitute if it so pleases. It learns moves such as Stone Edge, Heavy Slam, Psychic Fangs, and Wild Charge which all are worth mentioning here (not to mention Close Combat, which is a staple on the aforementioned offensive variants). Speaking of these moves, there is a big juxtaposition between the Iron Defense variants and the offensive variants of Zamazenta-Hero, which has very little overlap in counterplay. Most of the time someone can tell from team preview and the defensive variants tend to be Leftovers, but it does make preparation challenging.

Zamazenta-Hero draws in a handful of specific Pokemon that can shut down its normal, defensive set such as Haze Toxapex, an accurate Zapdos, Iron Valiant or most Unaware Pokemon depending on how it specifically fills out its set. It abuses the lack of reliable Fairy types we see and abuses the prominence of dark types, too. Overall, there is a decent amount of defensive counterplay to Zamazenta-Hero. However, most, but not all, of these Pokemon are more passive and reserved for defensive teams; a few exceptions do exist and can help, but it can also be argued that offensive teams are quite limited as a result of this. To perhaps amplify this dynamic, revenge killing Zamazenta-Hero is far more challenging than stopping it defensively. It is already among the fastest Pokemon in the game, but it also boosts its physical defense regularly, leaving it to only be possible on the special end and by something that is either faster or equipped with a Choice Scarf. This is possible, but not particularly common outside a smaller pool of Pokemon such as Dragapult or Scarf Enamorus, which both have things to watch out for on their own within this match-up as well. For example, Zamazenta-Hero can run Tera Fire to take Will-O-Wisp from Dragapult and Moonblast from Enamorus.

Overall, Zamazenta-Hero is a Pokemon with a very unique offensive profile, which oftentimes focuses on boosting its physical defense to do damage. This dynamic playing out on such a fast and sturdy Pokemon can be very polarizing for the metagame, making revenge killing a challenge and leaving teams to rely on a limited, passive leaning group of checks to stop it. With this in mind, there are a handful of things that dwarf Zamazenta-Hero's sweeping prospects, leaving it unable to have the intended impact on game states. Unlike some things we recently banned, it does not pose as immediate a threat, taking a turn to Body Press potentially while offensive sets are unable to break without consistently good prediction usually. There is an awful lot going for Zamazenta-Hero, which could be more than enough to leave it in Ubers, but it is can be stopped with the tools we have in the tier.

• Reading this is mandatory for participating in the suspect test!!! The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 80 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 80 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 84. Also, needing more than 50 games to reach 80 GXE will suffice.
GXEminimum games

• You must signup with a newly registered account on Pokemon Showdown! that begins with the appropriate prefix for the suspect test. For this suspect test, the prefix will be OUHF. For example, I might signup with the ladder account OUHF Finch.
  • Laddering with an account that impersonates, mocks, or insults another Smogon user or breaks Pokemon Showdown! rules may be disqualified from voting and infracted. Moderator discretion will be applied here. If there is any doubt or hesitance when making the alt, just pick another name. There are infinite possibilities and we have had trouble for this repeatedly. If you wish to participate in the suspect, you should be able to exhibit decent enough judgement here. We will not be lenient.
  • We will be using the regular OU ladder for this suspect test. We will not be creating a new Suspect Ladder. At the beginning of every battle, there will be an announcement denoting the ongoing suspect with a link to this thread.
  • The suspect being tested, Zamazenta-Hero, will be allowed on the ladder.
  • Any form of voting manipulation will result in swift and severe punishment. You are more than welcome to state your argument to as many people as you so please, but do not use any kind of underhanded tactics to get a result you desire. Bribery, blackmail, or any other type of tactic used to sway votes will be handled and sanctioned.
  • Do not attempt to cheat the ladder. We will know if you did not actually achieve voting requisites, so don't do it. Harsh sanctions will be applied.
  • Unlike previous tests, we will be posting the voting identification thread immediately after this thread. Your voting requisites will be confirmed by a Council member or OU moderator, to which we will edit in confirmation. Please avoid getting more games before getting confirmed.
  • The suspect test will go on for roughly two weeks, lasting until June 26th at 11:59 pm (GMT-4), and then we will put up the voting thread in the Blind Voting subforum.
This thread will be open to allow all users to share their thoughts on this suspect test and discuss with one another their thoughts. However, this thread will be strictly moderated, moreso than the average OU forum thread. Our moderators will apply discretion as to what is appropriate. You are not allowed to post about other potential suspects or bans. Please read and keep in mind the following before posting:

• No unhelpful one liners nor uninformed posts;
  • No discussion on other potential suspects;
  • No discussion on the suspect process -- this includes testing Zamazenta-Hero vs other potential suspects;
  • You are required to make respectful posts;
  • You are required to read this thread before posting.
  • Failure to follow these simple guidelines will result in your post being deleted and infracted without any prior warning.
  • Please also take a moment to read over some suggestions from the OU Council and the OU Moderation team for posting in this thread; adhering these will help out our time moderating the thread and present your arguments better and more educated.
    • Do not argue because it's your favorite Pokemon. This should be common sense, but please don't do this, because we will delete posts like this.
    • You do not need a boatload of experience to have an informed opinion, but please try to minimize the theorymon aspect and use your experiences watching and playing. Playing some on the ladder before posting is plenty if you're concerned about this.
    • Do not flame, belittle, or be disrespectful to users in this thread. While not everyone will read this post in its entirety nor will everyone have an informed opinion, please be sure not to be disrespectful. If there's an issue, bring it up to a moderator.
    • Do not use the argument of broken checking broken. Should your argument rest on your opinion that banning the Pokemon or mechanic being tested in this suspect test will make a Pokemon or mechanic broken, overpowered, and/or uncompetitive; don't. If something needs to be banned because of the result this suspect, then so be it.
    • This thread is not to voice complaints about the suspect process or decisions of the council. While we are more than open to hearing complaints that may arise, this isn't the place for it. I suggest you message the OU Council, PM our Tier Leaders, Finchinator and Ruft, or make a post in Senior Staff requests, should you have a badge.
Should you have any questions about the suspect test, feel free to message the OU Council. And if you have any questions about the moderation of this thread, feel free to message the OU Forum Leaders. I am tagging Kris and Marty to let them know about this, too.

Keep in mind that our suspect tests are decided by the community; anyone who rightfully achieves voting requisites is allowed to vote. The outcome is up to you.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
17538.jpg

This meme was made by me, I told the NJNP sv that I was doing this, alongside some research and this is basically a short version of what I think about this mon, it is stupid bulky, to the point where you can just easily get away with some dumb shit, sub, ID BP and crunch, or abuse it passively and boost other stats

some people may compare the ability boost with stuff like the paradox mons, since they most of the time also have a 1 time boost, difference is that with the paradox mon, you have to invest specifically to get what you want, and it's item dependent, while dauntless shield is just an ability, that will always raise defense, and therefore, you can invest in what you want and use any item. This has led to the use of sets like choice band and howl like extremely anti-meta, where one is an instant wall breaker from the get go, while the other is a great cleaner with his nice speed and defense, even tho howl is not the best boosting move

Also, can we talk about some of this calcs? lmao

This thing works well in both HO and stall as a way to either sweep with defensive backbone included or just W A L L
this thing is piss easy to use most of the time. The best counters you have are W-o-W users, and most of them can't switch in at all due to the fear of crunch. tera fire not only solves this but lets this thing shit on fairies and psychics that might think that they can revenge kill

Also, I know nobody will take this argument seriously, but my brain gets sad each time I see box art legendary not in uber, I mean, I know its not an actual argument you should throw, but man, this kinda sad

I'm probably not even gonna try to get reqs since I'm probably the single worst player of all time, but I think It's pretty clear that BAN is the direction the wind blows

This is a Pokemon whose factors, individually, would not make for a good pokemon, but combined become monstrous. First, 120 attack usually isn't that great without a boosting ability, but is totally usable even when uninvested. 92/115/115 bulk is good but not incredible, especially without reliable recovery. The biggest factor, however, is speed. 138 speed is simply incredible, and Zama-H out speeds every non-Dragapult, non-Scarfer in the tier. Moreover, its speed is so high that it can afford to run a Defense boosting nature, as with 252 speed EVs, it's 375 speed still out speeds all of its relevant targets, except Tornadus-T, which it now speed ties.

Body Press synergizes perfectly with Zama-H's strengths, between the +1 boost to Defense its ability can give it and the boosting potential of Iron Defense, which lets it improve its bulk along with its power. That bulk is the final factor pushing Zamazenta over the edge. Usually, when a target hits fast and hard, it's balanced by being easily revenge killed by priority or a scarfer, but Zamazenta takes most counterattacks astonishingly well. Since all relevant priority is Physical, using that to revenge kill Zamazenta is out of the question. Special revenge killers are tough to come by, too, as even a Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor doesn't OHKO.

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta: 235-277 (72.3 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Thus, most scarfers can't beat it. Even things as strong as Tornadus-T's Hurricane and Booster Energy Iron Valiant's Moonblast won't do it:

252 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta: 284-336 (87.3 - 103.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta: 260-308 (80 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Trying to plop dedicated walls in front of it doesn't necessarily work, either; Skeleridge and Toxapex can handle Iron Defense Body Press Zamazenta, but get 2HKO'd by banded Crunch and Psychic Fangs, respectively. The only truly reliable answer is Dondozo, which is mostly Stall specific.

Thus, it's almost impossible to prevent a well played Zamazenta from wreaking serious havoc on the opposing team, especially against offensive balance teams. I probably won't get recs, but if I did, I'd definitely vote Ban. Zama-H is just fundamentally broken as the tier now stands.

Wanted to talk a little bit about zamazenta and why I am in favor of a no ban vote and result. I think it’s best in this to start with understanding and presenting the ban arguement for zama and deconstructing it from there. I think everyone would agree that zama has multiple checks/counters that are already good and wouldn’t drop to 0 usage with it banned. But the issue people have is that zama alongside Tera and it’s playstyle forcing turns that you have to play perfect else you get swept is uncompetitive and banworthy. It can also abuse this aspect with Tera, items, and moves. While I agree this aspect of zama is very lame and not something I enjoy playing around I find it’s usually over exaggerated on compared to the likes of valiant/gambit/pult/enam who all force similar playstyles.

https://pokepast.es/bd38cd4e9a380df8 this goofy set Srn built and decided to show people for some reason is probably the zama set I would be most afraid of from builder and potentially facing. While at first glance it seems pretty sturdy at beating the vast majority of would be zama answers (Enam,Val,Gking,Pult,Zap). There a few issues with view.
1. You should know it’s item, the other 2 common zama items (hdb,leftovers) have easy tells meaning that your pult/gking/ghold really shouldn’t be commonly surprised by Lum.
2. It still has major issues regular zama does if not worse, the spikes weakness is still there, it has 0 way to recover and zama will take hits from gambit/samurott/tusk.
3. It loses everything sub gives it (semi immunity to knock, ability to just have subs up all game to gain more recovery, ease prediction and not have to switch vs 2hkos).
4. Things like pex and skele still easily wall this alongside other more niche options and is still weak to anti zama Tera/techs.

The reason I started with this set is because imo, this is the best zama set to argue it’s brokenness due to common answers being beaten and very few consistent answers. It still has a lot of issues, alongside having tells for the item because of the other common items.

If i was to go to the second problematic set of sub ID crunch bpress. This is just easily answered, Enam,Val,Gking,Ghold,Pult,Zapdos,Pex,Skele etc. while zama can beat some of these with Tera (Enam/Zapdos/Pult/Ghold) and they would have fear heavy slam/Band. I find this to be very rare to actually be an auto win or even an amazing trade. Because to just be honest people are naturally running multiple zama checks without much influence from zama, it’s checks are all amazing pokemon and zama using Tera/changing sets to beat specific sets is no different than how Val uses it or gambit uses it to me. It’s not close to volcarona mu cheese, it doesn’t even auto win vs HO. Mainly when most teams have 2-3 answers. And we still have pex, who is good even a post zama metagame who beats every set but like howl wild charge, and skele who is amazing too rn. Zama to me feels like something I always know I have to watch for in builder in play but when I build I never really have to build for zama. I always naturally have 1-2 checks as an Ho builder and in battle I find to just be an annoying mu but manageable similar to iron moth, ceruledge for me whom I doubt anyone would argue for a ban. It always can end games and win but compared to top offensive metagame threats like Val/Enam/gambit/pult it doesn’t pull its weight, is easily walled, isn’t even that mu reliant and easily scouted and it’s weaknesses abused.

at first I thought: Ok, Zamazenta is good against offense, but offense has some tools and it can’t do shit against balance. lol. Until I met the CHOICE BAND SET

This set still gives many offense a royal fucking, but it can also now fuck defensive mons. Dauntless shield only activates once, but it’s hard to revenge kill it when it is active. Close combat is actually spammable off a high speed and attack. Then the band set runs stone edge. Stone edge completely beats the "defensive answers”. It now beats :zapdos:, :skeledirge: (so much for "just use dirge bro"), and more niche potential answers like :Salamence:, defensive :dragonite:, and :Gyarados:. It also has many auxiliary coverage. Most notably, it has crunch to kill ghosts, but also wild charge and psychic fangs, both hit :Toxapex: and the latter hits :great tusk:.

POTENTIAL "ANSWERS”:
:skeledirge: : Fuck it, we stone edge
:zapdos: : Fuck it, we stone edge
:Salamence: : Fuck it, we stone edge
:dragonite: : Fuck it, we stone edge
:Moltres: : Fuck it, we stone edge
:enamorus: : Fuck it, we stone edge
:Toxapex: Dies to wild charge and takes a lot from psychic fangs
:corviknight: Takes a lot from wild charge and Close Combat. Also, set up fodder without ID
:great tusk: Dies to psychic fangs and close combat spam. Also it can run IDPress too so gl.
:Dragapult: crunch. It’s also frail initially
:iron valiant: Gets outsped without BE active or scarf, and fears psychic fangs
:sneasler: See above.
:cresselia: Does not like crunch. If it’s defensive, Zamazenta lives psychic.
:Hatterene: Relies on draining kiss and takes good damage from crunch.
:slowbro: :slowking: :slowbro-Galar: :slowking-Galar: : crunch
:Dondozo: Actually answers it, but ur telling everyone to run fat balance or stall.

"it requires good prediction"
ok dude you also need to predict it too.

Last edited:
Imo Zamazenta is broken, I'm even surprised it didn't get quickbanned. If it was just for its crazy bulk, I think it would've been fine. The speed is what really pushes it over the edge for me. Only Dragapult outspeeds it naturally. If it successfully finds the opportunity to use Iron Defense, forget about beating with physical mons. Bringing a special attacker in is not safe because it has access to Crunch for Ghosts (Dragapult, Gholdengo) and Heavy Slam/Iron Head for Fairies (Iron Valiant, Enamorus). Even if you wanted to revenge kill it with your Booster Valiant/Scarf Enamorus (or any other mon that would be considered a good Zam revenge killer), well, what if it terastallizes and kills you ? Then you're screwed if it was your only way to defeat it. I'm saying this as an offense user, like yeah I get that pex, dirge and dondozo are good answers but you don't typically run these mons on offense. I think we can agree most offenses rely on Gholdengo, Valiant, Enamorus, Iron Moth, etc. as special attacker. Not to mention anti meta stuff like Choice Band Zam or Howl Zam causes problem to fatter archetypes. I think it needs to go.

Last edited:
I think Zamazenta is fun to use but unfortunately if I get reqs I'll probably vote ban. The mon is far too easy to pilot - its natural bulk combined with Dauntless Shield means it's pretty to find its way on the field and if it gets the chance to setup with ID, it's hard to revenge kill as well. Minimal attack investment allows it to 2HKO most ghost types that would switch into a Body Press and then that's not even including the other shit that it can do like Band or Howl. It's a shame bc I really do love using him but he's probably a bit too splashable.

The argument you are making is that it can beat checks with the right coverage and moves at that point you may aswell say it can beat dondozo with like specs focus blast, its not like zama is the only mon that beats checks with coverage

The argument you are making is that it can beat checks with the right coverage and moves at that point you may aswell say it can beat dondozo with like specs focus blast, its not like zama is the only mon that beats checks with coverage
Many mons can beat their checks with coverage, but not every mon has high power and amazing bulk enhanced by an ability that makes it very hard to revenge kill.

tbh, zamazenta should get banned. Just did the calcs, and you have to go scarf MAX speed timid nature hoopa tera psychic using psychic on 4 spD zamazenta just to KO it. And you HAVE to run scarf because zamazenta's speed is too much for a wall, and dpult isnt even safe against him, with crunch going around too. And common booster energy and scarf user, iron valiant, doesn't even OHKO. So yes, due its attack, speed and bulk, should be banned.

Mimikyu Stardust

Enjoyment
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
Zama Hero is good, got a lot of good sets mainly Band and Sub ID Press.

Not much to say, prob gonna go with Do Not Ban, yea Zama-C, Volc and Shifu are gone which were competition and checks but like, it still has plenty of checks and stuff like Enamorous, Hoopa, Hatt gained new life which destroys Zama. Zama still destroys offense, has a lot of sets but its not banworthy imo, even shifu is better i think

So yea, solid DNB pick for me

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
https://pokepast.es/bd38cd4e9a380df8 this goofy set Srn built and decided to show people for some reason
This is what I get for being nice? Smh...

So I was trying to use ID press zama and was not impressed at all with its performance. The usual Sub ID press crunch set gets comfortably scouted and checked by slowking-galar, zapdos, dragapult, some gholdengo, enamorus, iron valiant and it struggles more vs hatterene, skeledirge, and dondozo. Hell you can tera ghost tons of random stuff and squeeze in a check that way. It's not hard to fit these checks into any and all kind of teams, and my time with zama was either steamrolling poorly built teams or doing nothing vs competent ones.

So I set about trying to make a better set, as shown above. 240 attack 2hkos 252 hp/0 defense glowking with crunch, meaning it can't scout you and get up a FS anymore. Tera electric ensures that you can beat zapdos as it switches in and generally avoid static nonsense; it's also been helpful vs miscellaneous flying types like torn-t. You become weak to eq, but with enough ID's under your belt that's rarely an issue. Heavy Slam has a 68.8% chance to ohko enamorus from full and 56.3% chance to ohko ival, covering those matchups. Finally crunch does a solid 73-86 to pult while lum blanks the wisp, so as long as you keep up hazards and get some minor chip, you can get past that too. The given speed hits 389, 1 point faster than adamant dragonite after a dd. So how did this set do?

Believe it or not, it was more of the same. More consistent, but still struggling to make much progress vs most good teams. It gets worn down by hazards, getting hit while setting up, and gets into range of a specs pult/be ival revenge kill. You miss the leftovers a ton, and while bluffing band temporarily is nice, it rarely leads to much. Without sub, toxapex can just click toxic twice and shut you down, and you need to make your predictions correctly to prevent glowking from getting up a FS. You can tera elec vs zapdos and muscle past it, but you will have taken enough chip to be in range of a specs pult draco regardless. I firmly believe this set is better than the standard sub id press crunch, but it has lots of its own issues and ultimately failed to leave a "this mon is broken" impression on me.

I've yet to use band, and I've heard that with FS support its a solid mon, but it also seems very prediction reliant to me. I've fought it before, and it did not leave a broken impression on me either. You could even argue zama is a healthy presence, offering a solid kingambit answer and keeping dragapult timid/jolly which in turn keeps dnite jolly. At the end of the day, I need to prep more for mons like Kingambit, Dragapult, and Iron Valiant than zamazenta.

Despite my opinion that zamazenta isn't broken though, the fact remains that it does place a big burden on the builder. Trying to account for CB and weird teras like the set I made can be tough, and I think the teambuilder is burdened enough right now. I tried using BO during low ladder and was honestly kinda struggling, and when I made the switch to HO it was a total breeze. I especially felt super in control using tera with HO, as I could often get a free turn with my sweepers to snowball out of control and there was no gaurantee they could tera in response. Ngl felt like an idiot for trying to make BO/Balance work for so long. I think this is a sign of a very unhealthy meta, and we need to start removing more threats as long as Tera is still here. I'm not really trying to convince anybody with this argument, just explaining my own position of why I will vote Ban.

TL;DR Zama mid but I will vote to ban anything in a tera meta.

Last edited:
So a common theme that's being said around is that Zamazenta's performance has been quite underwhelming in this meta, as the ID Body Press set variations get comfortably beaten by most of it's defensive checks which are quite viable and easily fits into a lot of teams.

And that's not really surprising.

People need to stop trying to use Zama like another sweeper that threatens to 6-0 squads lile Mage or Chien Pao. Zama is meant to be a switch army knife that not only can threaten a sweep but also defensively check AND revenge kill a lot of common meta staples such as Kingambit, H-Samurott, Baxcalibur, Offensive Great Tusk, Hydreigon, Cinderace Variants, Meowscarda, Arcanine-H, Non-Encore Dnite etc. With tera, that list can be extended to include anything else.

Because Zama beats literally everything else outside of its select few defensive checks, or at least forces a tera, that means even though it's defensive checks are quite adept at consistently beating Zama, they are somewhat forced into coming in a lot more than they would like to.

So it creates opportunities for other breakers to take advantage of that pressure. For example, both Glowking and Gholdengo easily invite in H-Samurott to fire of a Ceaseless Edge, and that double switch is quite free. Some other breakers that pair excellently with Zama are Specs Gholdengo, Hoopa-U, Banded Dragapult etc.

Zama being able to beat 1v1 nearly the entire tier other than it's defensive checks makes such a strategy far more effective.

Not to mention with Zama's move slots, it can pick and choose it's counters and create severe match up scenarios that borderline uncompetitive. The freedom it has in picking a tera and secondary moves render a lot of checks useless. It can run an offensive spread with crunch to beat Glowking and Ghold, Stone Edge to kill Zapdos/Enaromus, Heavy Slam to kill Enaromus/Valiant, Psychic Fang to kill valiant, Iron Moth, and pressure Pex. A tera fire negates Wisp from Hex Pult. I've also had instances where my Gholdengo and Skeledire, which should have beaten Zamazenta, didn't due to a defense drop from crunch. This creates such an extreme MU issue that is really unhealthy for the tier.

Everything factored in, I strongly feel that Zamazenta's vote should be an outright BAN.

As much as I love Zamazenta, and how proud I am of him for getting body press, I feel like letting this hound lose in the tier was unwise in retrospect. Considering this thing is faster and bulkier than a majority of the Meta right off the bat, revenge killing him is incredibly difficult. Even with the nerf to Dauntless shield, it's a good enough initial boost for being sent out. If you want anything faster than dragapult, TOO BAD.
You gotta use Doris.
Pokemans_101.gif

So yeah, with a solid attack stat, bulk that's seldom seen on an offensive Pokemon, and blistering speed, I think Zamazenta is unhealthy and I will vote BAN.

tbh, zamazenta should get banned. Just did the calcs, and you have to go scarf MAX speed timid nature hoopa tera psychic using psychic on 4 spD zamazenta just to KO it. And you HAVE to run scarf because zamazenta's speed is too much for a wall, and dpult isnt even safe against him, with crunch going around too. And common booster energy and scarf user, iron valiant, doesn't even OHKO. So yes, due its attack, speed and bulk, should be banned.
forgot that u have to have 252 spA

Zama's ID+BP set is great, but so is the banded set. This replay is from low ladder, but I think it's still worth showing what this thing can do to teams that aren't prepared.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1885406134

Literally click 1 button to win. In this battle, my zama outsped this guy's whole team (which included several mons on the faster side), and tanked multiple priority moves (with reduced defense). All while using 1 move. It's not just the insane speed, it's not just the great bulk, but the combination of these in addition to a good attack stat that makes zama almost impossible to 1v1 or revenge kill, which I think pushes it into broken territory.

sash Breloom could have stopped it with spore but didn't lol, low ladder having a normal one

I initially thought Zama-H was quick ban worthy, but then started to think it was kind of underwhelming. However, this high level ladder replay of it pounding through my team after I was clearly winning is making me reconsider once again.

The team I'm using is pretty well prepared for Zama-H too. I have defensive Gholdengo, full defensive Zapdos, and even full defensive Pelipper. Further, Basculegion is immune to body press and I can use Tauros's intimidate to weaken Crunches for Gholdengo if necessary. Even my scarfed Samurott-H can outspeed and ignore its defensive boosts with sacred sword in a pinch.

Watch the replay and let me know what you guys think. Did I get outplayed or is Zama-H busted?

When cursed body revealed he was running screens dragapult, I though about bringing Tauros in to spam raging bull and stop his screens (I figured he'd burn me, crippling my Tauros). Instead, I decided to bring in my scarf Sam-H to only allow him to get reflect off while putting down a layer of spikes.

I knew this would reveal my scarf and give him one free turn of setup, but I felt confident I could handle either Sneasler or Zama with only reflect up despite this one free turn. I was a little worried about slowbro-galar, but assumed Gholdengo could beat it or at least damage it enough for Basculegion to revenge it.

He sent in slowbro-galar, got the Quick Draw activation, and hit me with a surprise tera water to OHKO my Gholdengo. Fwiw I think this makes this replay a good example of why tera preview might also be useful.

Anyway, I realized my best course of action was to OHKO his slowbro-galar on a turn he didn't get Quick Draw and with Reflect still up, Thunder on Zapdos was the only way to do this. So I sacked Pelipper to get rain for 100% accurate Thunder, Quick Draw failed to activate, and I got the OHKO with Zapdos.

Next, he sent in Rillaboom. At this point, he had used his Tera and only had Rillaboom, Sneasler, and Zama-H left so I knew I could win if I just kept Zapdos healthy and spammed Hurricane.

Unfortunately, here is where I messed up. Given that I'm running 252 hp / 252 def and zero speed on my Zapdos, I figured his Rillaboom would outspeed me. I also wasn't sure if I could OHKO it with Hurricane given I'm not invested in sp atk but was too lazy to calc it.

Since Zapdos was only 50% health, I went for the Roost. But this was a bad move in retrospect because it turned out I outspeed his Rillaboom and couldve hit the OHKO with Hurricane. He damaged me with Drum Beating, making me slower, and got off a Leech Seed on Zapdos before I one shot him with Hurricane.

With Leech Seed on Zapdos, he was able to spam sub with Zama and set up in my face to win.

In retrospect, I couldve predicted the first sub and roosted. Then, I couldve switched to Sam-H (predicting he iron defenses and not body presses). With scarf, I'd outspeed and break his sub with sacred sword. Once he kills me, I couldve switch back to Zapdos and spammed Roost until I got a static para (if he gets to +6 body press would kill Zapdos from the 53% it would hypothetically be at before I could even Roost, but if +5 it would not), and then I wouldve needed to hit likely two hurricane (assuming he subs while i'm spamming Roost) outside of the rain to kill him.

In conclusion, I'm not sure how much of this was him simply outplaying me opposed to Zama being broken, but I'd love to hear others thoughts. However, the fact that Zama can easily go to town once strong special attackers are gone seems pretty cheap to me and I'm reconsidering my stance on banning it.

Last edited:

Exotic64

MDRRRRRRRR
is a Tiering Contributor
I initially thought Zama-H was quick ban worthy, but then started to think it was kind of underwhelming. However, this high level ladder replay of it pounding through my team after I was clearly winning is making me reconsider once again.

The team I'm using is pretty well prepared for Zama-H too. I have defensive Gholdengo, full defensive Zapdos, and even full defensive Pelipper. Further, Basculegion is immune to body press and I can use Tauros's intimidate to weaken Crunches for Gholdengo if necessary. Even my scarfed Samurott-H can outspeed and ignore its defensive boosts with sacred sword in a pinch.

Watch the replay and let me know what you guys think. Did I get outplayed or is Zama-H busted?

When cursed body revealed he was running screens dragapult, I though about bringing Tauros in to spam raging bull and stop his screens (I figured he'd burn me, crippling my Tauros). Instead, I decided to bring in my scarf Sam-H to only allow him to get reflect off while putting down a layer of spikes.

I knew this would reveal my scarf and give him one free turn of setup, but I felt confident I could handle either Sneasler or Zama with only reflect up despite this one free turn. I was a little worried about slowbro-galar, but assumed Gholdengo could beat it or at least damage it enough for Basculegion to revenge it.

He sent in slowbro-galar, got the Quick Draw activation, and hit me with a surprise tera water to OHKO my Gholdengo. Fwiw I think this makes this replay a good example of why tera preview might also be useful.

Anyway, I realized my best course of action was to OHKO his slowbro-galar on a turn he didn't get Quick Draw and with Reflect still up, Thunder on Zapdos was the only way to do this. So I sacked Pelipper to get rain for 100% accurate Thunder, Quick Draw failed to activate, and I got the OHKO with Zapdos.

Next, he sent in Rillaboom. At this point, he had used his Tera and only had Rillaboom, Sneasler, and Zama-H left so I knew I could win if I just kept Zapdos healthy and spammed Hurricane.

Unfortunately, here is where I messed up. Given that I'm running 252 hp / 252 def and zero speed on my Zapdos, I figured his Rillaboom would outspeed me. I also wasn't sure if I could OHKO it with Hurricane given I'm not invested in sp atk but was too lazy to calc it.

Since Zapdos was only 50% health, I went for the Roost. But this was a bad move in retrospect because it turned out I outspeed his Rillaboom and couldve hit the OHKO with Hurricane. He damaged me with Drum Beating, making me slower, and got off a Leech Seed on Zapdos before I one shot him with Hurricane.

With Leech Seed on Zapdos, he was able to spam sub with Zama and set up in my face to win.

In retrospect, I couldve predicted the first sub and roosted. Then, I couldve switched to Sam-H (predicting he iron defenses and not body presses). With scarf, I'd outspeed and break his sub with sacred sword. Once he kills me, I couldve switch back to Zapdos and spammed Roost until I got a static para (if he gets to +6 body press would kill Zapdos from the 53% it would hypothetically be at before I could even Roost, but if +5 it would not), and then I wouldve needed to hit likely two hurricane (assuming he subs while i'm spamming Roost) outside of the rain to kill him.

In conclusion, I'm not sure how much of this was him simply outplaying me opposed to Zama being broken, but I'd love to hear others thoughts. However, the fact that Zama can easily go to town once strong special attackers are gone seems pretty cheap to me and I'm reconsidering my stance on banning it.
ur first mistake in this replay is not running a fairy type in this meta
in the metagame full of hyper offense, kingambits and zamazentas a fairy type is vital on every team or else you will be swept by a zama with no counterplay.
however if you kept hurricaning on zapdos instead of switching out you would have beaten the zama 1v1 with zap so idk why you swapped it was very pointless
you have roost to heal from leech seed + 100% hurricanes

but yeah run a fairy type, you cant win against iron def zamazenta if you have no special attackers thats just the way it is
play against zama like your against garg and it wont be hard
and I will be voting DNB on zama the dog is too telegraphed and predictable, very easy to deal with

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
I don't intend to get reqs because of my current schedule but wanted to drop some thoughts. Personally, I'm in the middle again but leaning towards do not ban for some more "selfish?" reasons.

As per ou forum enthusiasts, the idea that we should keep x in the tier because it deals with x (broken checks broken) is a fallacy argument due to the fact we can just ban what becomes broken later. However, historically tiering wise, we have several instances where "broken checks broken" is healthy for a metagame; see recent examples in Generation 8's Melmetal test or the entirety of the current state of SM. Without a doubt I feel Zamazenta is easily a top 5 mon, can get out of control a decent bit in battle and can be quite restricting in teambuilding, but I feel there are several aspects of the mon which make its presence healthy and manageable.

Just to get this out of the way since it was already mentioned, Zamazenta has a slew of natural checks in the tier that would all be top mons regardless of Zamazenta's existence. Next, I feel Zamazenta offers a ton to the tier in terms of managing the offensive threats, being able to soft check virtually all of the physically offensive ones. As mentioned Zamazenta has a positive match up into Offense, but I don't think it shits on the playstyle. Zamazenta can act as an amazing soft check to a lot that offense can throw your way but is also, only a soft check. Offense has a lot of tools to deal with Zama, hell, some of the same mons it checks can stay manage to muscle past it with the right positioning. I feel this interaction is a positive one for the tier to have. It's no secret that offense has been the most dominant playstyle in this metagame, this is mostly due to the fact that tera allows a ton of mons to get past their natural checks. While offense heavy metagames can be "fun", sometimes the playstyle doesn't offer a lot in demonstrating skill, especially when it offense has the tools to beat virtually everything given the proper matchup. I feel keeping a pokemon in the tier that has a good matchup vs offense while not being impossible for it to get around is a good inclusion that keeps the metagame at least playable. I feel banning Zamazenta makes this tier a mess and we will have to spend a lot of "cleaning". If this "cleaning" period is done relatively quickly I don't have too many gripes I guess though I'd rather keep as many mons in the tier as possible and due to the communities rather negative response about the speed of current tiering, I am not too optimistic. I think having a pokemon that is a natural pit spot in offenses game plan that isnt overly reliant on tera to do so is quite beneficial in a tier where most of the top mons are trying to troll you with tera.

That said, I do think zama is broken and there is very reasonable ban arguments which I do quite heavily agree with as well. Zama can tend to force games to play around it, can get out of control "easily" (especially if it teras into a random defensive typing that beats you) as well as forcing particular mons and strategies in builder (even though these mons would be good regardless - random ghost and fairy teras). These are valid concerns that aren't exactly false, and that I do agree with. Though, I feel with what I mentioned above, even though I think the dog is "broken", it's presence in the tier its kind of healthy, acting as a small band aid on a large open wound that is the current state of Gen9 OU, and "clicking tera and becoming out of control" is kind of 80% of the offensive mons in the tier anyway. There is a lot of broken pokemon and issues in general with this tier as it currently stands and removing pieces without intent to remedy them quickly, just makes it worse and frustrating to play. I think if people are really dead set on keeping tera around you really need to embrace faster tiering or just embrace broken checks broken and its clear the community is against both.

Not gonna lie, my line of thinking here to come to this conclusion isn't exactly the best from a traditional tiering standpoint but it does keep the general health of the tier in mind. My opinion may completely change in a week or two as more World Cup games are played as we have yet to see Zamas effect in tournament play yet and ladder isn't exactly the best environment to determine if something is broken or not.

tldr; something that makes offense spammers actually play the game rather than; click 123456, make no plays and win off a random tera, is fine by me

Last edited:

EnemySpider5

formerly Xurkatree4life
From my experiences (around 1500-1800 ladder) Zamazenta has only a handful of checks ie: enamorus, special dragapult, dondozo and a few more. but to check it you often have to sacrifice 1 or more pokemon to get into a survivable position. a pokemon that almost requires 1+ sack just not not instantly end the game is too strong in my opinion, its speed makes it too hard to consistently revenge kill with the previously mentioned checks due to tera making it a coinflip whether you get the ko or not.

Just because I don’t meet requirements doesn’t mean I can’t post here, right? That said, zama-h could simply tera to either make body press stronger or boost the strength of it’s coverage move while also providing some defensive utility (Tera electric turns it’s flying weakness into a resistance and bashes corviknight, dondozo and toxapex with wild charge; Tera dark turns it’s psychic weakness into an immunity and decimates ghost types with crunch; and Tera steel not only turns it’s fairy weakness into a resistance, and also maul fairies with iron head, but Tera steell is possibly the best Tera type in the game)

Anyone with a forum account is welcome and encouraged to post!
Thanks: and what is your opinion on the next statement? zama-h could simply tera to either make body press stronger or boost the strength of it’s coverage move while also providing some defensive utility (Tera electric turns it’s flying weakness into a resistance and bashes corviknight, dondozo and toxapex with wild charge; Tera dark turns it’s psychic weakness into an immunity and decimates ghost types with crunch; and Tera steel not only turns it’s fairy weakness into a resistance, and also maul fairies with iron head, but Tera steell is possibly the best Tera type in the game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)