Waiting for something to happen?
The Ubers Council has unanimously decided to quickban Calyrex-Shadow and retest it into the tier, effective immediately.
To few people's surprise, Calyrex-S is back on the chopping block after surviving a suspect test in generation 8. This time around, it's equipped with the universal tool of terastallization. Also this time around, Yveltal and Ho-Oh, the best answer and soft pivot into Calyrex-S, respectively, aren't in the game. In the short time we've had the home metagame Calyrex-S has already shown its immense influence, being near unbeatable if you face the wrong set. Tera Fighting is the main offender currently, taking down Arceus Normal and Dark, Ting-Lu, and any slightly less bulky but more offensive Dark-types like Chi-Yu and Chien-Pao who could normally threaten a revenge kill. This isn't mentioning Tera Fairy as well, which is a Sucker Punch resist just like Tera Fighting while also powering up Draining Kiss to keep Calyrex-S healthy. This versatility in changing types completely flips the already very few bad matchups Calyrex-S has, making it not possible to reliably beat in game or in the teambuilder, to an extent the council and a number of the playerbase considers completely unhealthy. Once it gets going, As One is just as powerful as ever, so stopping it likely requires multiple Pokemon if it brings a set to beat the few potential checks.
The best answers to Calyrex-S is shaping up to be Ekiller, who is the only Arceus that can hold an item for longevity like Leftovers or Heavy-Duty Boots while also being immune to Astral Barrage. Tera Fighting completely ignores this, threatening an OHKO on even the most bulky Arceus after a Nasty Plot, and the opportunity cost of max special defense arceus is already high due to it needing attack investment to pose an offensive threat. Arceus Dark similarly falls to this set as well as Draining Kiss Tera Fairy, and the formerly mentioned other Dark-types are only reliable against the more niche choiced sets that don't run Tera Blast.
Not all is perfect for Calyrex-S, though, as it still has the same few flaws as in generation 8. It's very frail by Ubers standards, so with speed control and priority being very common it can be susceptible to revenge kills. Additionally, hazards have never been harder to remove, so it can be worn down slowly by switching in. It lost Aromatherapy, which was its biggest utility move in generation 8, but that works both ways, as now defensive answers to Calyrex-S have very few ways of clearing status if they need to survive for longer. Finally, terastallization remains unpredictable, so sometimes it can fall to very specific techs designed to bait certain sets, but those are far riskier to use on a team than Calyrex-S with its offensive tera sets, and Calyrex-S can also use midgrouns like Psyshock on potential Tera Normal Pokemon or just brute force them thanks to As One snowballing.
Calyrex-S has been quickbanned instead of just suspect tested due to Ubers Open going on and UPL starting very shortly. We didn't believe a stable, healthy metagame would show through in those tournaments with tera Calyrex-S legal, so we are quickbanning it for those tournaments but maintaining it on ladder for the duration of the suspect test. The council voted on whether or not told hold a regular suspect test or to quickban and retest, and it was a unanimous 7-0 in favour of a quickban.
Why Not Terastallization?:
Since this question will come up I will address it here. After discussing with tiering administration, it was decided that the best way to approach this problem would be to tackle Calyrex-S first and then see how the meta deals with other threats later on. Calyrex-S is a clear outlier in power, and terastallization is a controversial mechanic that defines the generation and has survived the only official suspect test it's been put through. We will definitely be keeping a very close eye on it if anything else becomes problematic, and potentially testing it later in this metagame as well as future ones, in which case Calyrex-S may be able to have another chance at the tier.
Suspect Test Information
- The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 80 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 80 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 84. Also, needing more than 50 games to reach 80 GXE will suffice. For reference, there's a minimum games required table posted below.
- You must signup with a newly registered account on Pokemon Showdown! that begins with the appropriate prefix for the suspect test. For this suspect test, the prefix will be UBGH. For example, I might sign up with the ladder account UBGH Fc.
- Laddering with an account that impersonates, mocks, or insults another Smogon user or breaks Pokemon Showdown! rules may be disqualified from voting and infracted. Moderator discretion will be applied here. If there is any doubt or hesitation when making the alt, just pick another name. There are infinite possibilities and we have had trouble for this repeatedly. If you wish to participate in the suspect, you should be able to exhibit decent enough judgement here. We will not be lenient.
- We will be using the regular Ubers ladder for this suspect test. We will not be creating a new Suspect Ladder. At the beginning of every battle, there will be an announcement denoting the ongoing suspect with a link to this thread.
- Any form of voting manipulation will result in swift and severe punishment. You are more than welcome to state your argument to as many people as you so please, but do not use any kind of underhanded tactics to get a result you desire. Bribery, blackmail, or any other type of tactic used to sway votes will be handled and sanctioned.
- Do not attempt to cheat the ladder. We will know if you did not actually achieve voting requisites, so don't do it. Harsh sanctions will be applied.
- We will be posting the voting identification thread shortly after this thread. Your voting requisites will be confirmed by a moderator. Please avoid getting more games before getting confirmed.
- The suspect test will go on for just under two weeks, lasting until June 11th, 10:30 PM GMT -4, and then we will put up the voting thread in the Blind Voting subforum.
|GXE||Minimum Games Required|
This thread will be open to allow all users to share their thoughts on this suspect test and discuss with one another their thoughts. However, this thread will be strictly moderated, more so than the average Ubers forum thread. Our moderators will apply discretion as to what is appropriate. Please read and keep in mind the following before posting:
Suspect Test Rules
- Do not discuss the banning or restriction of terastallization. The reasoning for Calyrex-S being tested was outlined, any posts on solely terastallization will be deleted.
- No unhelpful one liners nor uninformed posts;
- No discussion on other potential suspects;
- No discussion on the suspect process;
- You are required to make respectful posts;
- Failure to follow these simple guidelines will result in your post being deleted and infracted without any prior warning.
- Please also take a moment to read over some suggestions from the Ubers Council and the Ubers Moderation team for posting in this thread; adhering these will help out our time moderating the thread and present your arguments better and more educated.
- Do not argue because it's your favorite Pokemon. This should be common sense, but please don't do this, because we will delete posts like this.
- You do not need a boatload of experience to have an informed opinion, but please try to minimize the theorymon aspect and use your experiences watching and playing. Playing some on the ladder before posting is plenty if you're concerned about this.
- Do not flame, belittle, or be disrespectful to users in this thread. While not everyone will read this post in its entirety nor will everyone have informed opinion, please be sure not to be disrespectful. If there's an issue, bring it up to a moderator.
- Do not use the argument of broken checking broken. Should your argument rest on your opinion that banning the Pokemon or mechanic being tested in this suspect test will make a Pokemon or mechanic broken, overpowered, and/or uncompetitive; don't. If something needs to be banned because of the result this suspect, then so be it.
- This thread is not to voice complaints about the suspect process or decisions of the council. While we are more than open to hearing complaints that may arise, this isn't the place for it. I suggest you message the Ubers Council, an Ubers Tier Leader (myself or Aberforth), or make a post in Senior Staff requests, should you have a badge.
The test will run until Sunday June 11th, 10:30 PM GMT -4. In order to ban Calyrex-Shadow, a 66.6% supermajority will be required. If you meet the requirements then post a screenshot in the voting requirements thread - but please take note of the criteria outlined there when you do in order to be eligible!
Tagging Kris and Marty to announce this on the Ubers ladder, thank you.