np: UU Stage 1 - Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
cloyster is definitely a great teammate to run with serperior, as serperior can easily setup for a cloyster sweep by threatening bulky waters and faster threats. steel types are a pain, but a +2 serperior can do some serious damage with hp fire so its not as bad.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Contrary to belief (Serperior) @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Fire]​

Alright, here's the Serperior set that I've been using that I think is pretty good. EVs are standard 252/252/4 to make the most of his speed tier and hitting power. Leaf Storm is around for obvious reasons and lets Serp go about his typical bullying anything with a grass weakness. Glare is next most important move on this set imo, allowing Serp to punish common switchins like Crobat, Scarfachi, Mega Sceptile, and Hydreigon who think they're going to do a great job coming in and eating up your Leaf Storm and hitting back hard, I have to say that this is hands down the best support move that Serp has. Dragon Pulse is just one of Serp's better special attacking moves and is great for hitting dragons like Hydrei and Haxorus. The hidden power is honestly up to you, personally I prefer HP ground because it lets you hit Fire types and Poison types for super effective damage, while HP fire is good for hitting Forry and other grass types. Life Orb just seems like the best option to me since otherwise your non-stab moves aren't hitting all too hard.

EDIT: Hikari and the others all sniping me to the glare hype
Change the HP IV to 29 to minimize LO recoil.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm really liking the metagame atm, it seems very nicely balanced with the banning of Ziggy and Zam. People can now afford to be more creative as those two were kind of limiting in the sense that you absolutely had to pack a check to those guys. And with no Pokemon being too overpowering right now, there are more possibilities for team slots.

Jirachi, not surprisingly, has emerged as top dog in the tier, it can just perform so many roles and has the stats to back them up. SubToxic, CM, Scarf, bulky Stealth Rock, it can do it all and this has been evident in SPL where Rachi has been ever-present.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
On the subject of Serperior, I'm currently trying Substitute on it, with Glare, Leaf Storm, and Dragon Pulse. With the exception of Crobat, which needs to be wary of Glare, it gets a free set-up with Leaf Storm (especially if your opponent is trying to sack something on it) or a free Glare cripple on something faster than Serperior. I haven't managed to build a team with the right support around it since quite frankly my teambuilding has been off lately, but imo it's certainly something worth trying.

I question the need for Dragon Pulse: a resisted Leaf Storm hits harder. And to be blunt, Dragon Pulse's coverage is terrible. You can get the same coverage and more with HP Ice.

Leaf Storm/Hp Fire/Sub Leech Seed is pretty dope, I've found. You force so many switches with that speed and Leech Seed giving you free turns to boost and there's plenty of recovery from Leech Seed. Pair it with something that hate's special walls/bulky waters and you'll have fun.

I question the need for Dragon Pulse: a resisted Leaf Storm hits harder. And to be blunt, Dragon Pulse's coverage is terrible. You can get the same coverage and more with HP Ice.
The big issue with HP Ice is that you can't run it with HP Fire, which is a much better move for Serperior to be running.

So, hoopa will be available soon. X4 dark weakness hurts, but thatspecial bulk is nice. What are everybodys thoughts?

Im ready for unbound hoopa lol
Why are you posting this here right now? The policy is that newly released Pokémon start in OU and if they don't have enough usage they eventually drop(remember Diancie?). Now, even if either form drop(and the drop of the Unbound form is extremely unlikely considering how powerful it is), it wouldn't do so until November tier shift, since the movie release, July 18th, is too close to August tier shift.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Is Serperior updated on the ladder yet? Also, will it be allowed in SPL? Inquiring minds want to know.

Rather than Reckless Emboar something even scarier is about to be released... Rock Head Tyrantrum, it is the entry prize for the battle of Hoenn competition. Yeah... this one is actually pretty scary XD Crobat isn't going to be happy about this addition.

http://www.serebii.net/
Serebii said it has to be confirmed still since Tyrunt has Sturdy as its ability.

Tyrantrum will be interesting though, but that base 71 speed is akward. Even with DD its outsped by a plethora of mons and common scarfers like Scarf Shao, Krookodile, infernape, and megas like Scept (cant switch in, but can check).

Cobalion will be cool check to Tyrantrum as well resisting Rock/Dragon typing and only having to fear EQ.

By the way, Bronzong hype too stronk for Tyrant lol

How do you guys feel about Emboar though?

Adamant CB FB hits slightly harder than Jolly LO FB from Darmanitan. I think the one thing that separates emboar from darm and entei is that it can go just as easily mixed with Grass Knot. So, i think the best set may be a mixed set with FB, GK, WC, and either Sucker Punch or Superpower with LO. FB is strongest STAB while gk and wc hit waters hard, especially Suicune and swampy expecting to tank the FB. Sucker Punch hits faster psychics like zam or azelf while Superpower is another STAB move. any thoughts?

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Dang, Tyrantrum with Rock Head actually does sound fun. Base 71 Speed means it's beaten by every Scarfer in the tier even after a boost, but on the other hand it's just enough to outspeed 252+ Crobat. 80% accuracy does kind of tend to screw up sweeps, though... It was the same reason I always used to get frustrated with Double Dance Terrakion last gen.

Pair it with Hippo for a SpDf boost in the sand and its bulk should be enough to set up a DD against most foes...

A band set on Tyrantrum for immediate power seems pretty scary against bulkier teams. Players will try and switch their physically defensive walls in before it sets up too many DDs, but will end up being 2HKO'd in the process. Even steel types are hard pressed to switch in, dealing about 40% to fully physically defensive bronzong, and lets forget about foretress being able to switch in. This opens up so many avenues for faster physical attackers to just go to town on the rest of their team.

Just gonna leave some calcs to show just how powerful this thing is.
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 178-211 (53.4 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 124-147 (36.6 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 319-376 (60.3 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Obviously the speed is an issue, but wow this thing hits like a truck.

Last edited:
I'm not too sure about the trade-off with Rock Head.

Sure, you can now spam Head Smash, but the lack of Strong Jaw really hurts its Fire and Ice Fangs.

The only real targets of the fangs were Gligar for Ice and Bronzong for Fire/Crunch, and Gligar takes 60% from +1 HeadSmash. Head Smash and Outtrage are so powerful that they nullify the need of any coverage besides Earthquake.

i can definitely see tyrantum becoming a pretty viable wallbreaker especially if jirachi leaves. I calced with adamant band, which i would use since im a man, and it 2hkos everything non resisted. The fact that it can switch in on fires and flying with relative ease (entei will be a bitch with burn) and then punish with such a strong move itll definitely be useful, maybe even moreso than serperior who just got a buttload more viability with its new ability

Note that it also gets Rock Polish, and with dual high-basepower STABs, it still has enough power to clean up late game, all the while outspeeding important scarfers in contrast to DD.

Last edited:
Yeah I actually am not sure if I would go for Dragon Dance; I'd either go for CB or Rock Polish. CB to run through defensive teams and Rock Polish to do decently against offense. I feel like Dragon Dance is an awkward middle ground that doesn't really perform extraordinarily against offense because it's outsped by Scarfers and faster Pokemon like Mega Sceptile after a boost, while not quite having enough power to KO defensive Pokemon that it wants to. I actually tried Rock Polish Tyrantrum recently before the Rock Head stuff and it was surprisingly not terrible, and I think the extra power provided by Head Smash will help it even more. I'd recommend this set:

WIDE LEFT (Tyrantrum) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

EVs outspeed Scarf Mienshao after a boost. Coverage is really good and hits a lot of offensive Pokemon super effectively, and there aren't really too many other moves it should be running anyway. It's got respectable physical defense, enough to set up easily against some common Pokemon. Obviously best saved for late game after things have a bit of prior damage. Even with a Jolly nature, it's still powerful enough to clean up offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)