np: UU Stage 6 - No Surprises

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually agree with you. I've asked a few times to make that discussion at least viewable by the general userbase, but to no avail.

Also, I vow to never use the word "fun" in a suspect discussion again because people misconstrue my meaning every single time. Do me a favor and think of it as "bettering the metagame" from now on, ok?

And before you come back with "but that's subjective!" The way you interpret what is ban-worthy is just as subjective, so don't bother.
Thanks for the reply. When I brought up fun at least, I never really meant it to you. I really directed it towards posts like FlareBlitz
"I suppose, ultimately, we need to think back to why we want to change things in this metagame. It's because the metagame isn't as fun as it could be. Now, that's a pretty inflammatory sentence and it could be strawmanned with rebuttals like "well I think togekiss makes the metagame less fun so let's ban that", but ultimately that's the reason we're even having this conversation - we want to make things more fun for our playerbase. Given that, this is what we need to decide: Will our playerbase have more fun with sand stream in the metagame but with sand veil gone, or will it have more fun with the playstyle as a whole gone?

We know that quite a few players enjoy using sand stream, so we know that banning it will have an immediate negative impact on them. At the same time, we know that the viability of sand as a playstyle causes less diversity in the metagame, and limits the viability of fast, frail sweepers that are vulnerable to residual damage (like Azelf, Weavile, etc). Note that this was one of the reasons we banned Hail. And finally, we know that the missing a key move against Gligar due to factors entirely outside a player's control (i.e. missing a 100% accuracy move chosen specifically for its reliability) is uncompetitive and has no place in this (or any, honestly) metagame, so we can't exactly do nothing either.

With all that said...I mentioned earlier that removing sand as a whole from the metagame would make me, as a player, happier. As a senate member, I can't come up with a reason for why it's "broken" or "imbalanced" or "whatever"; I don't think it's any of those things simply because I tend to win against sand teams. But I do know that building my team such that it can win against sand teams prevents me from exploring options that I would otherwise be interested in exploring, such Simipour (don't laugh).

I primarily play UU because the lack of weather-oriented domination means that a lot more viable niches open up in this metagame compared to OU and Ubers, and so it would be my personal preference not to see any perma-weather in the tier. That said, I can certainly see the validity in the opinions of those who would disagree with me. I do think though, at a minimum, we need to ban Sand Veil. I'm almost tempted to propose doing both just because hard-banning sand veil instead of soft-banning it by hard-banning sand stream will set a much stronger precedent...but that does seem much too superfluous."
His whole argument runs on "fun", backed up by shaky precedent and is downright wrong in at least one spot(the whole thing about Gligar is bullshit, if I said the same thing in DotA except replacing Gligar with Faceless Void, you'd be laughed out of the community).

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I see his point. I mean it's kind of simple...."why do we think that"....I mean I saw way more opposition of the ban (even before we banned it) than not but yet we (and by we I mean some senators) still voted to ban it.
I'm not entirely sure I understand this Heysup. Are you trying to say that banning sandstream doesn't necessarily result in a "better" metagame when a noticeable amount of the community disagrees with the ban? If so, I somewhat agree - that's why I voted for sand veil. However, I still stand by the decision made by the council, as I can empathize with the reasoning of members who voted differently than I did.

A Senator's opinion on what's "broken" is more often more valid than a regular person's opinion on what is "broken" because Senators are experts who know the metagame better than the average person. One person's opinion on "fun", however, is no more valid than the next person's.
Why? If we are experienced enough in the metagame to know when removing certain elements would balance it, we are also experienced enough to know when removing certain elements would diversify it, would make it less luck-based, would make it less centralized, and every other thing that served as the foundation for this ban.

Can I just say that I would take these arguments a lot more seriously if they didn't strawman the notion of "fun"? I mean, I knew it was going to happen (my very first paragraph about the issue predicted it) but it's still kind of disheartening to see. Hold yourself to a higher standard of argument gentlemen, please.

Secondly, can we stop lying to ourselves when we call a Sand Veil miss "uncontrollable"? There are so many ways to mitigate the effects of a Sand Veil miss it's not even funny. There are moves that never miss (see Aerial Ace, Shock Wave, etc.), there are accuracy-improving items, there are moves that negate the opponent's ability (Gastro Acid, Skill Swap) and there are moves that completely nullify Sandstorm. If you don't like the opponent using Sandstorm, then use the move Sunny Day or Rain Dance or Hail or whatever in order to negate the weather. It seems when auto-weather is involved in something, no matter how pathetically weak the inducer and how little of an effect on the metagame it has, it's automatically deemed "unstoppable" and "out of one's control". How difficult is it to change one move on one Pokemon to counter Sand? (and yes, I mean counter.) And furthermore, there are hundreds of things in Pokemon that are out of a person's control. Evasion gets a bad rap because it's the easiest to whine about. What about Scald burns? That affects way more battles than Sand Veil and has a higher chance of activating. And if 100% Accuracy moves are never supposed to miss, then why did Game Freak specifically make moves that are more accurate than 100 Accuracy moves?
Are you actually being serious right now? Hey guys, great news! We can remove Evasion Clause and unban Moody because DetroitLolCat has pointed out that -- accuracy moves exist! Gosh, I wonder how we all collectively missed the incredible competitive merit of Shockwave and Swift!

The only valid point you make above is the efficacy of weather-changing moves against sand veil, but that's not entirely relevant. It's like saying "if you're tired of ohko moves, run something with Sturdy!" Obviously everyone knows that Sturdy pokemon are great at handling things with ohkos moves. Equally obviously, everyone is aware that ohko moves are not exactly broken. But they are still banned because they make the metagame more luck oriented than it needs to be. Sand Veil's ban is justified in a similar man.

I'm not going to cover the rest of what you said because we've already discussed why Scald burns and Air Slash flinches are different from Sand Veil misses. Feel free to trawl through those old arguments.

Thanks for the reply. When I brought up fun at least, I never really meant it to you. I really directed it towards posts like FlareBlitz

His whole argument runs on "fun", backed up by shaky precedent and is downright wrong in at least one spot(the whole thing about Gligar is bullshit, if I said the same thing in DotA except replacing Gligar with Faceless Void, you'd be laughed out of the community).
I'd be careful about calling my arguments "shaky" when your arguments have essentially consisted of...well, nothing. Oh, you made a DoTA reference. I guess that's what passes for substantiation these days.

The only reason we as a competitive community do anything is because of fun. Smogon philosophy states that competitive metagames are fun metagames, and I am sure we all agree with this - that's why we seek to maintain a competitive metagame. When we ban something in the name of "fun", we do so because we want to maintain a better competitive metagame even if the mechanism for bettering the metagame doesn't actually involve removing imbalanced elements. As kokoloko said, apparently a lot of people are too affronted by the word "fun" to actually read the rest of the supporting material behind this ban, which outlines the definition of "fun" to mean "a more diverse, less luck-oriented metagame", so it would probably be best to excise the word from our collective vernacular. We shall now use the phrase "competitively titillating" instead.

I didn't know we needed a council to tell us what "fun" means. We need a council to tell us what "broken" means.
I don't think this is true on a couple levels.

Firstly, we are not banning what is more or less "fun", we are banning what makes the game competitively better (which is council members do have authority on in theory).

Second, even if we are saying what is "fun", people also do not know what they want. Let's say we have Mario and Peach. Bowser kidnaps Peach.....do you want that to happen or do you want Mario and Peach to be happy together? Obviously you pick the latter. Well now we don't have a game to play or a story to follow that we thoroughly enjoy more than knowing two made up characters are together. That's more of a "if we actually were telling you what fun is" hypothetical argument, but it's kind of irrelevant. I just thought it would be good to know to maybe ease people's minds.

Clarification needed.

Combo bans have been brought up in every single suspect discussion subsequent to the Drizzle/Swim ban (more specifically, the weather/ability template). It's not a fallacy if it's happening right in front of our eyes. Right now, it's precedent, and it's already being set and used in two different cases. If the minority voice had their way, we'd be seeing the same thing for Sand and Hail.

The second we admit to a combo ban, I demand we go back and test each and every single Pokemon UU and below with Double Team to see if they're broken.
That undue annoyance something like Corsola is going to give you will be the same as any Gligar in the Sand that keeps Toxic stalling your Pokemon due to complete and utter bullshit misses.
Two independent cases all of the sudden means we have to use it in every situation (even in situations completely not analogous like the one you suggest)? This is a text book slippery slope fallacy and it's so so so obvious when you put it like this.

We would all do well to also note that both of these combo bans would have been auto-weather+ uncompetitive ability which is ample evidence to put even fallacious slippery slope arguments like this one to bed.

I kind of agree about the fun part, but the Gligar part is not bullshit at all.

We've sort of addressed this but you get bonus points for using DotA references. I'm sure you're referencing the immunity chance as opposed to the stun.

Think about it this way. They are different games, specifically one is a turn based strategy and one is a real time strategy. If you could launch like 10 Ice Beams all in a row basically whenever you want on Gligar, no one would complain. That would make it more analogous to the Faceless Void situation where you don't have to take a turn to hit him. Also there is no similar crowd control (in real time...) or auto-hitting items like Monkey King Bar in Pokemon.....

FlareBlitz said:
I'm not entirely sure I understand this Heysup. Are you trying to say that banning sandstream doesn't necessarily result in a "better" metagame when a noticeable amount of the community disagrees with the ban? If so, I somewhat agree - that's why I voted for sand veil. However, I still stand by the decision made by the council, as I can empathize with the reasoning of members who voted differently than I did.
Yea that's what I meant. The bigger point that I was trying to get to though was "do we actually know?" I argued in this post that "people" don't know what they want, but do we (senators) know what they want or are we in the dark as much as the community is?

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
Everyone stop being so damn negative. I will not speak for the other senators who voted ban, but I personally voted that way because I thought it would increase diversity, and not simply because I would have more "fun" in a sandless metagame, as some of you think. You now have an entire damn teamslot that you don't have to dedicate to countering sand. This opens the door for so much more creativity in teambuilding, not everyone has to use Bronzong on every single team anymore.

I do believe that a metagame where teambuilding isn't as restrictive is more fun. But I voted solely on the principle that it would increase diversity in the tier, and i seriously doubt any other pro-ban senator did it simply for their own fun either.

I missed about 30 posts over the night so I'll just address some of them indirectly instead of going around and quoting everything. First off I'd like to point out what I wrote about the "fun" thing some time ago, since nobody ever responded to it and I think it's still relevant:
I think a major part of the problem here lies in koko's use of the word "fun", which does indeed not sound like a very convincing reason to ban something, especially not with the current system. I'm pretty sure what's meant (or maybe not, I obviously can't speak for him, but this applies either way from my point of view) is that because tiering is inherently subjective, saying that we shouldn't ban anything that isn't "broken" doesn't actually accomplish anything because people disagree on what "broken" means. There really isn't anything you can do when someone disagrees on whether somethng is broken because I'm pretty sure everyone disagrees on what it means, in some way at least. I'd say I actually agree that things should only be banned for being broken, it's just that you can't enforce this for the above reason, meaning the only thing you can actually base your opinion/vote on is a convincing argument that others either agree or disagree with. It might seem like a cop out to just say that in the end people will vote based on what they want to do and not what is "broken", but in reality it's the same thing (unless their reasons are things like being swept by weavile when they had 5 ice weaks or something, but I don't think this is relevant), and I don't think there's anything we can do about it without a finding fixed definition of when something is broken, which is practically impossible. I hope this explains things to at least some people, because I think this discussion has gotten a bit stuck on the word "fun".

tl;dr we should probably stop focusing on a single word instead of the actual arguments, like flare and koko pointed out.

I'd also like to mention that while the community opinion may have been slightly tilted towards not banning sand stream, it wasn't anywhere close to unanimous, and if we were going just by public opinion there wouldn't be much of a point in having only a few people vote. I don't disagreeing with flare's choice of voting to ban sand veil based on the community in any way, but expecting everyone else to do the same even if they disagree sounds pretty unreasonable to me. (I'm not sure if someone actually said this but I read something along those lines so I wanted to clarify regardless)

Regarding sand veil, others already covered it for the most part, but I'll say once again that equating it to something like hydro pump or even hurricane is completely ridiculous, as is suggesting that people use aerial ace or shock wave to beat it. Further, if it forces you to either rely on 80% accurate moves, potentially giving the opponent free turns/costing you the game or giviing him a free turn anyway while you get rid of it, I'd argue that it comes dangeroulsy close to being broken regardless.
Comparing it to faceless void in dota doesn't hold any weight either due to the completely different nature of the game, the much bigger sample size and the fact that one death is much less siginificant, among other things.

Most arguments have already been adressed, so I'll keave it at this to not make this page even longer.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
So Sandstream has banned in UU? Well that's... cool. Honestly, I thought that this was the best course of action to take at the moment. Not going to comment on the logistics of the banning, but I'm really happy with the way things turned out (the least amount of pokemon got banned| UU is noticeably more fun). No more having to run sand checks left and right, things are definitely looking up.

I'm double posting even after I just called someone out on it because this post deserves individual attention.

By pure coincidence, Upstart showed up in #genvuu today. His personal situation isn't exactly sorted out yet, but he said once it is he'll be able to rejoin us and pick up his duties as a Senator, and since we're taking a break from any suspecting until the implementation of BW2 stuff, this works out nicely.

Also, because people tried calling out the ban as 'unsatisfactory' because he didn't vote, here's what he said when I asked him about the ban:

So yeah, Jabba's interference didn't alter the result of the vote.

--------

In other news, Hippowdon will be unbanned come July 1st and fully usable with Sand Force. Luckily for us, there's a Stealth Rock tutor in BW2 so he won't even miss out on that!

That is all.
Correction, sandstream getting banned is very cool.

This post is a clarifying point, since some/all of the senators seem to think that the people clamoring about the use of "fun" are strawmanning the word ("hold yourself to a higher standard of argument please" was the tipping point; this seems pretty elitist and I wouldn't have posted this had that line not appeared in Flare's post). I certainly am not strawmanning, and reading the arguments of others, I don't think many people are. My problem is not with the use of the word fun. My problem is with statements like this:

And before you come back with "but that's subjective!" The way you interpret what is ban-worthy is just as subjective, so don't bother.
The problem is mainly the admission that "we don't have objective standards for banning, so we're each using our own subjective ones instead." I said this in my last post, but if there isn't even a claim to objectivity, then it starts making no sense to have a council/senate at all.

Yes, the standards that you choose will be arbitrary and subjective. This is true in any field for any subject. Common philosophical question: is it better to save the lives of 5 people by killing one through action or, by inaction, save the 1 and let the 5 die? The answer to the question depends on subjective standards--but once those standards have been set, the answer is objective as inferred from the standards.

If your standards are that quantity of life is always most important and action matters as much as inaction, then you choose the 5 people. If your standards are that life has immeasurable individual value and so can't be summed or multiplied/divided and that inaction isn't as important as action, then you choose the 1 person.

The standards that you set are necessarily subjective. What's not subjective are the inferences that you can make once you have those standards. This applies for everything from what kind of sandwich should I eat today (standard: do I value my current mood over long-term health benefits?) to what kind of stance should I take on abortion (standard: am I religious? what does life mean to me?).

Throughout the long period that I played gen IV OU (and a bit of UU), I was fine with things like the Salamence council. I thought, based on the discussions that I read (IRC logs were posted, as well), that people were trying to establish an objective standard by which to ban it. While I disagreed with Salamence's ban, I was fine with it; it seemed fair because of the way the offensive characteristics were being talked about.

What's changed? It isn't strawmanning of the word fun; it's comprised of other things, like the senate's asking us for our opinions earlier, Flare's post, etc. Here are some of the things that the senate has posted before in this topic that illustrate my problems with how subjectivity has been treated so far, as well as why the word "fun" has been such a big deal:

By Heysup:
This is especially important because with something so subjective such as this (banning something simply because people don't "like it") we absolutely need some sort of community consensus otherwise we're just a couple people voting and that's too small a sample size to take into account the whole communities opinion on an issue that we aren't necessarily "more qualified" to make due to the lack of reasoning.

If it was a competitive ban,
Here Heysup seems to confirm fully what I've just been saying, yet this was later ignored with the reasoning, "oh, never mind, it is a competitive ban actually. It's all competitive reasoning, but we're still being subjective, so we still want community opinion."

By kokoloko:

Not only is it a lot more fun, but it also brings benefits on the competitive level
Use of the word "fun" as distinct from "competitive"--obviously this has been covered, but you can see how we got the impressions we've gotten, no? It seems that you're using fun in two different ways throughout the posts on this forum.

FlareBiltz:

Now, that's a pretty inflammatory sentence and it could be strawmanned with rebuttals like "well I think togekiss makes the metagame less fun so let's ban that", but ultimately that's the reason we're even having this conversation - we want to make things more fun for our playerbase. Given that, this is what we need to decide: Will our playerbase have more fun with sand stream in the metagame but with sand veil gone, or will it have more fun with the playstyle as a whole gone?
In this PM, which Flare posted twice, he begins by limiting his definition of "fun" so that it can't be stretched/misconstrued. But the definition he gives is basically the question: what will the community/playerbase enjoy more?

No matter how experienced the senators are with this metagame, I think that I as a person and member of the playerbase would know better what I want than the senators would. Telling me or any other player otherwise, or telling people that they don't know what they want, is *insert word that expresses dissatisfaction without being rude here.*

So if the question really is, "what will the community/playerbase have more fun with?" then the answer is: probably the scenario that 7 people out of many dozens don't vote on their own for.

And other examples.

As a tournament host and fighting game competitor, I also want to note that when we make decisions like these (stage choices, number of matches, things like that) in the fighting game community at large, we base our decisions on only the highest level of play. What effect will a decision have on the balance at the highest level? We do try to establish a standard on the basis of which we can have discussions. With this standard in place, it makes sense to only allow people familiar with high-level play in on the discussion (and even then, most FG communities don't have a council system--anyone who is able to play on that level can partake). Before this notion of subjectivity was brought to the table, the same thing made sense for Pokemon.

Finally, let it be said that I'm not clamoring for a reversal of the decision. There are always other tiers, and failing that, always other hobbies. As kokoloko said, Pokemon is about having fun. When it starts to stop seeming fun, then of course you just move on. This is simple and easy, and no one should get incredibly worked up over this.

The debate dried up a long time ago; a decision was made. But at the very least, I'd like the Senate to understand where we're coming from. As a low-post-count member who hasn't gone on IRC, though, I'll count this as my last post on the topic. If the logic hasn't hit home yet, then we are at an impasse.

I do understand your point about only 7 people making the vote, but the situation is that we were the ones voting and there was also significant support for banning sand. One vote against banning it comes from the community's opinion, but can you really expect all of us to do the same when we and others disagree? Saying that what 7 people think is probably not what the community as a whole thinks is also not really true since it depends entirely on the subject. It's also important to note that the senate is a part of the community; why shouldn't we be able to represent (along with others, of course) ourselves?

I won't bother writing more as you said you don't want to continue the discussion, but I felt the need to point this out.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
@SStats:

I don't mean to dismiss your clearly well-thought out post with this statement, but I genuinely believe you're way over-thinking this. I'm going to do my best to address your concern, though, since you're obviously a smart guy and I would rather not lose a member of the community over a misunderstanding.

I believe the problem here is that you believe we have entirely dismissed the concept of holding ourselves to some standard. That isn't the case. The reason I keep repeating that tiering is subjective is so that people realize that everyone holds a different standard, and mine just happens to be a lot less "conservative" if you want to call it that.

At the moment, Smogon does not have a solid tiering philosophy for us to follow (you'll have to trust me on this, the discussion to try to come up with one is taking place in a hidden forum only ~20 people have access to). Because of this, us senators can freely choose which standard to hold ourselves to (individually, as opposed to as a collective body).

So, I'm assuming your primary concern is "where do you, as senators, draw the line?" I obviously can't answer for others, but as for myself it's really quite simple:

"In order for me to vote to ban something, the competitive benefits said ban brings should clearly outweigh the consequences. Benefits being defined as: increased diversity and a more enjoyable metagame as viewed by the community with a heavy emphasis placed on myself (since I can only ever know exactly how I think)."

That's my personal philosophy when it comes to tiering and also where I draw the line on bans. As you can see, its really liberal, but it's not like I hold myself to no standard whatsoever. With that in mind, since through observation (by playing a sandless UU on the PO server) and theory (within reasonable limits, of course) I noticed a positive change in the metagame, I decided to vote ban.

Hopefully, this post cleared your concern. I was avoiding this type of post which explains my personal tiering philosophy because I didn't think it was necessary (and I'll probably take even more shit from posters like Pocket and Lolcat now...), but if it means potentially keeping a smart guy around, it's worth it. If your disagreement with my (again, I don't speak for the entire senate, even though I'm the head) philosophy is so strong that you decide not to stick around, so be it, but if you do, I'd like to personally invite you to join us in #genvuu on synIRC for real-time discussion on future suspects. It's always nice to have one more guy who actually knows what he's talking about around.

SStats said:
Here Heysup seems to confirm fully what I've just been saying, yet this was later ignored with the reasoning, "oh, never mind, it is a competitive ban actually. It's all competitive reasoning, but we're still being subjective, so we still want community opinion."
You said that you weren't strawmanning, yet here we are. I think this is exactly where the misunderstanding is (I don't think it's here where the impasse is if there is one) and I intend to clear it up here and make everyone happy. I know they responded above me, but I don't think that clears up the exact misunderstanding.

You don't actually criticize that extremely over simplified sentence (in which you conveniently left out my justification). If you started to, you might have seen that it makes perfect sense.

There is absolutely no logical inconsistency there (so the "oh never mind" part of your sentence was untrue). A more correct paraphrase would be: "if we are banning something because 'we would rather it just not be there - we don't like it' then we need a community consensus and the senate is not necessarily more qualified to make a decision in its current form" (though I still believe an altered senate is better than the "masses" for obvious reasons that I pointed out). This is basically what you said I said but with some key words still there.

If you're into formal logic, I said: If we pick X (banning something because we "don't like it") then we need Y (a community consensus). If X is true, then Y is true. If we take it further, if not X, then not necessarily Y. Y can exist without X but X can't exist without Y.

Now, considering that it was not a ban "because we don't like it" - even as you said in the sentence where you "paraphrased" (lol if you call it that...) me - that logic does not apply. SS was banned for competitive reasons (too hard to check, forces too many dice rolls, restricts diversity etc). In other words, we didn't pick X, so we didn't need Y. The senate clearly still wants community involvement - that is, we still want a community consensus, Y, but we don't need it in the same way for competitive decisions - senators can be swayed by intelligent posts in this forum (for example, Flare was swayed this round, props to him and even more props to the people that convinced him).

So, I know you said you don't want to continue, I just wanted to point out that I think this is where the misunderstanding is / was.

We completely agree in terms of competitive reasons being the ONLY reasons for banning because we are being as objective as possible and thus justifying our decision through objective reasoning. The subjectivity comes in whether we think those competitive reasons are justification enough for a ban.

Hopefully this fully clears everything up and we can start theorymonning about how bad ass Hippowdon is going to be. Stealth Rock / Slack Off / Earthquake / [Toxic / Roar]? I'm ready for that. I need a better pivot than this pussy ass Swampert.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Two independent cases all of the sudden means we have to use it in every situation (even in situations completely not analogous like the one you suggest)? This is a text book slippery slope fallacy and it's so so so obvious when you put it like this.
I don't think you're entirely certain of what a slippery slope fallacy actually is and I'm disappointed you chose to keep parroting that phrase as an excuse to handwave my point of focus.

In order for it to be applicable to this case, the change has to be relatively small and the chain of reactions I suggest would have to be much larger by contrast. In my case, they are the same thing, and affect the environment of the game by roughly same amount. Mediocre Pokemon getting away with Evasion via weather is not much different than mediocre Pokemon getting away with Evasion via a single move. You cannot justify one without the other because they are extremely similar cases. What the anti-ban crowd says is completely different from what we decided four generations ago when we instated the Evasion clause.

"Evasion introduces an unnecessary element of luck to competitive Pokemon, and thus should be banned."

vs.

"Evasion is okay if the Pokemon is not broken."

Regardless of which vessel the game uses, Evasion will make matches much more annoying to play. Much like Moody, it is not a legitimate strategy that either player can control and it does not promote competitiveness. We should always vote to restrict or eliminate these things wherever possible (and not impossible like critical hits).

Also, going to highlight this again since you keep ignoring it:

They are not independent cases if we keep suggesting and using them. Stop using that excuse to write off my argument. Complex bans are fundamentally wrong.

In most cases, they are being suggested more than they are used. But they're suggested at such an alarming rate and with two complex bans already in place, there is enough evidence for me to assume that they are no longer taboo.

EDIT: Err, three. For reference, I'm just going to list the ones that I know of:

- Drizzle/Swim
- Ingrain Smeargle of ADV
- SmashPass for RU and below

I don't think you're entirely certain of what a slippery slope fallacy actually is and I'm disappointed you chose to keep parroting that phrase as an excuse to handwave my point of focus.

In order for it to be applicable to this case, the change has to be relatively small and the chain of reactions I suggest would have to be much larger by contrast. In my case, they are the same thing, and affect the environment of the game by roughly same amount. Mediocre Pokemon getting away with Evasion via weather is not much different than mediocre Pokemon getting away with Evasion via a single move. You cannot justify one without the other because they are extremely similar cases. What the anti-ban crowd says is completely different from what we decided four generations ago when we instated the Evasion clause.

<snip>

Also, going to highlight this again since you keep ignoring it:

They are not independent cases if we keep suggesting and using them. Stop using that excuse to write off my argument. Complex bans are fundamentally wrong.

In most cases, they are being suggested more than they are used. But they're suggested at such an alarming rate and with two complex bans already in place, there is enough evidence for me to assume that they are no longer taboo.
Note the big bolded writing (I made it big because you already had bolded stuff).

You are asserting a fact as your premise with no justification, then building your argument on that fallacious premise. I don't appreciate being lectured about logical fallacies, especially within a post full of them.

Your argument is still a slippery slope because there are two different levels that you're jumping to using the justification of one to justify the other when they are not analogous cases. You even identified the difference in the cases yourself! That is my justification. To reiterate, what you're suggesting is to leave Double Team on certain non broken Pokemon which doesn't follow the same logic that a Sand Veil + Sand Stream ban does. This ban still removes all possible forms of evasion from every Pokemon, much like Evasion Clause. Yours suggests that it's OK to leave unbroken Pokemon with Evasion, or to test them. I'm not sure why you think they are similar. You even further suggest that you do understand how dissimilar they are:

SJCrew said:
"Evasion introduces an unnecessary element of luck to competitive Pokemon, and thus should be banned."

vs.

"Evasion is okay if the Pokemon is not broken."

Regardless of which vessel the game uses, Evasion will make matches much more annoying to play. Much like Moody, it is not a legitimate strategy that either player can control and it does not promote competitiveness. We should always vote to restrict or eliminate these things wherever possible (and not impossible like critical hits).
I don't disagree with that last part, but I'm not sure why you brought this philosophical difference up because it completely proves my case. You have, again, identified the difference between what your case follows (the second option) and what the combo ban of Sand Veil + Sand Stream follows (the first option, the one that is excepted).

According to you, if we did that combo ban (Sand Veil + SS, or X) then we inevitably have to do your suggestion (Y) even though there is no valid justification for thinking that. That is, and I'm going to call upon my parrot one more time, "a text book slippery slope fallacy".

This argument is kind of pointless. We didn't choose the combo ban for reasons unrelated to the "reasons we don't combo ban" that you suggested, and my point was simply to show the people asking the question (the community) why we do think the combo ban was a valid choice but not the one we voted for.

So yea, Hippowdon...

EDIT: Wise choice :)

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Let's reel it back for a moment, since we're getting a little confused.

The primary thing here to consider is that allowing Sand Veil in spite of Evasion Clause is no less an exception than allowing Sand Veil only under certain conditions. However, the former is not the crux of your argument, and I'm not sure why I'm debating it with you or where I read it from. I don't want to get too heavy into the specifics of why complex banning is wrong, so we'll save that discussion for another time.

I like this b/c now I can actually go back to the team I had originally been using but had to change up completely just to counter sand. It got old facing the same opposing teams all the time as well. Just today I faced 6 teams that were nearly identical say for 1 or 2 pokes. It'll be nice to see a little more diversity with sand banned.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
lol guys guess what?

Superpower Stoutland and Sand Rush Sandslash are actual things now.

I wonder how that would have turned out...

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, so I don't play UU a ton,and I don't feel like posting too much on this whole sandstorm ban and banning philosophy stuff (and haven't felt like posting about that since I made that post the size of Texas over in that banning philosophy thread in what was then DST). But I will say this looks like it will be very interesting now. SS-less Hippo will be a really cool wall, and should definitely mix things up. I feel sad for Stoutland, but oh well. He'll probably drop and I can have fun in RU or something.

But damn it, I was so looking forward to Sand Rush Sand Slash in UU. You just had to go screw that up just before it happened :P.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Superpower Stoutland, Sand Rush Sandslash, Sand Force Hippodown. I am wondering if it is possible to pull off a sandstorm team... Of course, OU is probably going to steal at least one of those. But while they're here, a sandstorm team is one of the first new things I want to try out.

lol guys guess what?

Superpower Stoutland and Sand Rush Sandslash are actual things now.

I wonder how that would have turned out...
They would've coerced Sand Stream to be banned because it would've meant more Sand-related stuff was broken. Since you guys banned it now, neither of those changes will prove a problem for the UU metagame.

They would've coerced Sand Stream to be banned because it would've meant more Sand-related stuff was broken. Since you guys banned it now, neither of those changes will prove a problem for the UU metagame.
It would've ended up the same as most other arguements we have here.

Some people saying "Sandslash and/or Stoutland should be banned", others saying "Hippopotas should be banned", others saying "Ban Sand Veil" others saying "Ban SandStream", and so on, and everybody going around in circles.

Sorry if there's a SQSA thread that I missed, but I figure this is as good a place as any...

Since Sand Force Hippowdon is going to be unbanned come July, does this also mean Soundproof Abomasnow will be allowed, or at least retested?

I think we can take the fact that only 6% of UU teams use sandstorm as a sign that it isn't overpowered competitively. Asides from stoutland, there are hardly any pokemon in the tier that can use sandstorm well and the ones that can or that don't mind it are common in useage anyway. Nidoking for instance is more than a threat to the rock/steel types. Stoutland is a big threat to common pokemon in the tier with that kind of speed, but that's arguably a good thing since it encorages more diversity.

Removing sand stream however does nothing to stop that threat, because I can use the slot I lost from Hippopotas and use a pokemon who can set up a a Smooth Rock sandstorm to exactly the same effect. Asides from seeing such a low useage that you shouldn't need to bother checking it on your team (and so it's hardly impacting the meta), anyone using sandstorm is going to be very predictable and thus easy to counter. There aren't really any rock types in UU that can take advantage of the special defence boost, and asides from that sandstorm will cripple the recovery of 3 pokemon in UU, a tier with 53 pokemon. That isn't exactly a giant problem either.

So you've lost to it once or twice because you didn't expect it. I've won countless games in OU with hail because nobody expected to see a hail team, but Abomasnow hasn't been moved to ubers for it. Doubtless it isn't fun to have Tyranitar OHKO'd by wood hammer. Likewise I've been taken off guard in UU by baton passed shell smashes, and needless to say it isn't fun to helplessly watch as my entire team is sweapt, but that's not banned either. Asides from that sandstorm will cripple the recovery of 3 pokemon in UU, a tier with 53 pokemon. That isn't exactly a giant problem either.

I don't think there is much to warrant a ban, but if sand stream is banned Snover/Abomasnow should be allowed in UU provided they don't have Snow Warning.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
kokoloko said:
So, I'm assuming your primary concern is "where do you, as senators, draw the line?" I obviously can't answer for others, but as for myself it's really quite simple:

"In order for me to vote to ban something, the competitive benefits said ban brings should clearly outweigh the consequences. Benefits being defined as: increased diversity and a more enjoyable metagame as viewed by the community with a heavy emphasis placed on myself (since I can only ever know exactly how I think)."

That's my personal philosophy when it comes to tiering and also where I draw the line on bans. As you can see, its really liberal, but it's not like I hold myself to no standard whatsoever. With that in mind, since through observation (by playing a sandless UU on the PO server) and theory (within reasonable limits, of course) I noticed a positive change in the metagame, I decided to vote ban.
kokoloko, with our current system, it is much easier to ban something than to un-ban. Therefore, you and other council members must be absolutely certain that whatever you are banning are stifling the metagame. And you all are certainly not convincing in your explanations that sand must be removed from UU. As you alluded in your post, when banning something you look at how centralizing the said threat is and how it is affecting the diversity of the metagame. I'll address these two.

Centralization
How is Sand centralizing outside of preparing for Stoutland? With only 6% usage and the only sandstreamer being Hippopotas, I find it hard to believe that Sand teams are dominating the metagame. If Stoutland is the only overbearing factor in team-building, remove Stoutland, not an entire playstyle, which brings me to...

Diversity
You do notice that to ban something is to prohibit the use of a particular Pokemon or strategy, effectively reducing the option available to the UU player? Unless what you banned puts a serious stranglehold on UU, banning would only lead to less diversity in a particular metagame. Reduced diversity is exactly what banning sandstream would do, since the metagame has effectively lost an entire playstyle for no good reason.

To illustrate some one have cited Raikou, Azelf, and Arcanine being limited by sandstream - Raikou and Arcanine were #9 and #10 in usage. Azelf was #28. Sandstream or no sandstream, they are dominant forces of UU that needs no external help from us. I've played with Azelf and Raikou in UU, and never have I felt that they were unusable due to sand. In fact removing sandstream would only increase their dominance in the UU metagame. And we would also lose a prized Sand Sweeper in Stoutland / Sandslash. How exactly is this diversifying?

-----------------------

The fact remains that there is nothing inherently broken about Sandstream. The ability summons a sandstorm, which damages non-Ground-, Steel-, and Rock-types, and increases Rock-types special defense by 50%. Neither of these effects are stifling UU. It does not provide a drastic advantage to the sandstream user; in the contrary, sand limit the sand user's options in teambuilding by the obligatory inclusion of Hippopotas and other Pokemon immune to sand in order to maximize their gain from the weather condition. A sand team is not inherently better than any other team, so why ban it?

Some of you have cited the passive damage to be a limiting factor in UU - but as I have shown in the diversity case, these Pokemon are not limited by sandstream. Regardless of Pokemon, SR, Spikes, or Toxic Spikes are far more debilitating to Sub and LO users than Sandstream, and players have many Pokemon to choose from to set these hazards; Sandstream only has Hippopotas. Substitute and Life Orb have their own risks and benefits, Sand makes their use more risky, but sand also have its own con (such as starting out every match 5 vs 6).

Again, how is this ban justified? Outside of Sand Veil, what real issues do you have with sand? kokoloko, you said that you believed that UU would be better without Sand from playing the PO UU ladder and theorymon. You need something more concrete than that, especially after the major shake-up from BW2. This council decision has just gimped Stoutland and Sandslash in exchange for no real gain. Arguably Stoutland and /or Sandslash may end up broken (or OU) due to the BW2 buffs, but we have to give them a proper playtest in UU - no theorymon; other mons received buffs, too. Even if one or the other (or both) end up broken, the problem lies in Stoutland / Sandslash / Sand Rush, not Sandstream. It's honestly that simple. There's no need to remove the benign part if you can just remove the tumor.

In our current case, there's no real "objective" or "competitive" stance to ban Sandstream outside of Sand Veil; everything else is just personal preference (which should not be used if you were to represent this competitive community) so in light of BW2 shake-up and the issues addressed, why not ban Sand Veil?.

PS: Whether to ban Sand Veil / Sand Veil + Sandstream is rather moot now, since Sandslash and Cacturne received their respective DW abilities and BW2 tutor moves - they are effectively the same ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)