np: UU - The Boys Are Back in Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be pretty good, although I do think a few more tweaks are required in order to make a perfectly balanced metagame.

Lets be honest though, will the metagame ever be completely balanced? It'll probably continue changing slightly with the advent of new movesets and the like.

As I am sure that you know in rock-paper-scissors you choose the hand gesture that you use, consider that your team building. You can use rock as much as you want or you can use paper as much as you want, however, I doubt that you will win several consecutive matches doing so as eventually your opponent will catch one; this could be considered battling skill.
I should have known someone would do this. Eh.

You just took my legitimate analogy and made it not relevant at all. The reason the metagame resembles R-P-S is because you are just completely taking a chance at winning, not having anything to do with battling skill or team building. Picking whether to use Rock, Paper, or Scissors is a guess. The same thing applies with the metagame. You have to guess what team the opponent's will be using, and use the team that beats it, regardless of battling skill or team building (at least to a certain degree; a very shitty team won't beat anything, but a semi-shitty team will still be enough to beat the opponent). There is no way to "earn" a win in this metagame.

I'm going too stop here before this starts making even less sense.

! said:
Anyways, defining a balanced metagame is completely subjective. No one can or should determine what guidelines that it (we) must follow. The only thing we can really do is trying to eliminate as many factors (introducing or removing clauses and/or introducing or removing a Pokemon) that create restrictions on a larger scale. Eventually, with the removal of the top threats (Raikou, Gallade, Honchkrow) new threats will pop up. We will have to determine if their presence is 'restricting' the metagame or if the metagame is 'stable'. Once the metagame becomes stable it will become very stagnate.
A balanced metagame isn't completely subjective, it's just that people confuse the term "balanced".

A balanced metagame is, by definition, a metagame without any suspects or any strategy that better than another (to the point it is broken). We were ALMOST there with Yanmega being banned. Likely this round we would see Honchkrow and possibly Moltres leave, but otherwise yea, we were almost at the point of having a balanced metagame.

In general, everyone seems to think that a "balanced metagame" is some unobtainable unrealistic goal. This is completely false, think about how close we were when Yanmega was banned. The only things that would compromise our balanced metagame would be random metagame additions, which could be quickly fixed.

EDIT:

@Space Guard: It will only take that long if we fail to ban Pokemon the first time....or if we just randomly discount bans and re-allow BL Pokemon back in the tier again....

I suppose...

However, it is almost certain that Generation V will be available fairly soon (within the next 2 years), that'll throw a spanner in the works - although it will almost certainly create a whole new list of tiers. Looks like that right at the end of Generation IV, the matagame will finally be balanced...

I agree that we almost had a balanced metagame but then at the same time people were beginning to say that Moltres, Milotic, and Registeel were to much. I honestly believe that it will become a ongoing cycle of banning. I'm not saying that just because it could form a cycle that we still should not consider the tiering position of the Pokemon at hand but yeah...

Anyways, I can't wait wait to see how the votes roll.

I agree that we almost had a balanced metagame but then at the same time people were beginning to say that Moltres, Milotic, and Registeel were to much. I honestly believe that it will become a ongoing cycle of banning. I'm not saying that just because it could form a cycle that we still should not consider the tiering position of the Pokemon at hand but yeah...

Anyways, I can't wait wait to see how the votes roll.
That isn't a remotely valid argument, since we didn't even have nominations with that round. It's different when people say "Milotic is good, maybe even too good" than actually nominating / banning it. Milotic was nowhere near broken, neither was Registeel. Moltres, maybe, but not the other two Pokemon since we haven't even had time to use them before they were horribly fucked over by the new UUs. Their usage dropped a stupid amount.

I think that even if we were nominating shit like Milotic, that is an indication that we are really close to being "exactly" balanced.

Yeah, I must admit that I'm a bit worried that we'll never stop with banning, and we'll end up with 50 BLs, like we used to have, and UU will be dominated by Pokemon such as Leafeon and Chansey. But we'll see what happens.

That said, I think it's very possible that even this could be the last round of bannings. We just don't know.

And Space Guard, I think Generation V will proceed a lot smoother than this, because we'll do the tiers the proper way from the very beginning. i.e. At the very beginning of Generation V, OU will contain Pokemon such as Kyogre, Deoxys, ho-oh, Garchomp, Darkrai, etc, and we'll do the whole thing the proper way from the very beginning (and hopefully, people will be open-minded, and be open to the possibility that we might need only one or two Ubers, if we're very lucky).

Of course, a balanced UU metagame will only occur once things start dropping out of OU. Heracross looks to be UU next tier, and Cresselia could follow him. Both would no doubt shake up the tier, and both deserve their test as much as any other. That said, I do think that a balanced UU metagame is very possible, and with a BL list that has only 10-20 members.

As for gen V, I'd personally say the only pokemon that should start out banned are the 670's and up (minus Regigigas, Slaking, and any analogous Pokemon gen V creates). The rest of the Uber list consists of a few 600's and Wobb, who are banned in order to balance the remaining tier.

Honestly, theorymoning this now isn't going to get us anywhere.

I agree with Heysup, though. We were about to hit a balance when the BLs dropped down. None of them are broken individually (I've reiterated this multiple times), but together, they've completely reduxed UU.

But it wasn't solely that. More importantly, Roserade went up at the same time (probably even more shattering), as did Yanmega. And the advent of HGSS took a once idyllic tier into the center of a shit-storm.

I think it's somewhat more balanced now, however, yet not as close as before.

And I'll say it again - banning Honchkrow is just gonna screw up the tier again, Heysup. This is actually in direct opposition to your views. Similarly, but to a far lesser extent, getting rid of Moltres (and the BLs) isn't going to help one bit.

And I'll say it again - banning Honchkrow is just gonna screw up the tier again, Heysup. This is actually in direct opposition to your views. Similarly, but to a far lesser extent, getting rid of Moltres (and the BLs) isn't going to help one bit.
I was more referring to banning the actual BL Pokemon (Gallade, Froslass, and Raikou) than banning Honchkrow. However, banning Honchkrow is different, since it was a) in question anyway, and b) got Brave Bird since then.

I believe the only thing that would truly solve the problem would be to ban all of the BLs back to BL (and possibly ban Honchkrow, but that isn't completely necessary at the time). If we just got back to where we were before this counter-productive mess happened, a balanced metagame would be within our reach.

I'm trying to say we should think about "why Gallade, Raikou, and Froslass are broken" rather than "why Gallade, Raikou, and Froslass aren't broken". This is like doing a math question while looking at the answer. You think "How do I get to the answer?" rather than "How do I not get the answer?", or even "What's the answer to this question?"; you have the answer in front of you! Our objective is to get these Pokemon banned to fix the metagame. Some of us don't realize why these Pokemon are broken just by seeing the fact that they were BL previously, but the fact is we do know that they are broken. So just remember when you're writing / voting what your goal is. If it's to make a balanced metagame, you already know the answer, it is just a question of "how do I get to the answer?"

This may frustrate some people, but I think this is the best way to go about fixing this "mess".

I dont see OU starting with Kyogre and ect. when gen V starts happening. We'll probably just keep the some tiers and work from there.
Well, I don't know how that would work. Do remember that tiers change a lot from generation to generation. In Advance, Pokemon such as Magneton, Venusaur, Dusclops, Rhydon and Claydol were all Standards at some point. It's changed too much for that method to be effective I reckon. Also, petrie, banning base 670+ Pokemon is quite an arbritrary thing to do.

And Heysup, you're clearly very annoyed about what's happened, but I wouldn't really call this a "mess". We've seen UU in a much worse state than this on more than one occasion.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Posting to note that we have the voter information now, so expect a thread with qualifiers up soon (tomorrow at the latest)!

Some of us don't realize why these Pokemon are broken just by seeing the fact that they were BL previously, but the fact is we do know that they are broken. So just remember when you're writing / voting what your goal is. If it's to make a balanced metagame, you already know the answer, it is just a question of "how do I get to the answer?"
Okay, I have quietly let your constant hate-filled rants about the metagame slide for quite some time now, in acceptance of the fact that it is just your natural character that will never change. However, I’m afraid that I must speak out about the statement above. This statement is not only highly condescending, it is downright offensive, making a mockery of every legitimate voter who has legitimate reasons for thinking that a suspect isn’t broken. For your information, the BL Pokemon have not been brought back to UU just to allow people to form more convincing cases for their “obvious” BL status, they have been brought back down because there really is genuine doubt as to whether they are actually broken.

I don't believe we have actually :/. Even when we first dropped BL in, it was still much more stable / balanced than it is at the moment.
Nah, the Abomasnow / Staraptor / Shaymin metagame was far more unbalanced IMO.

As for being able to achieve true balance in UU within the realistic timeframe, I won’t deny that it is a possibility, particularly if the remaining OU processes smooth out quickly. However, the point at which UU becomes truly balanced will probably not be too far away from the point where I give up on UU for good and permanently switch over to NU. A metagame that never changes quickly becomes boring as fuck IMO.

Okay, I have quietly let your constant hate-filled rants about the metagame slide for quite some time now, in acceptance of the fact that it is just your natural character that will never change. However, I’m afraid that I must speak out about the statement above. This statement is not only highly condescending, it is downright offensive, making a mockery of every legitimate voter who has legitimate reasons for thinking that a suspect isn’t broken. For your information, the BL Pokemon have not been brought back to UU just to allow people to form more convincing cases for their “obvious” BL status, they have been brought back down because there really is genuine doubt as to whether they are actually broken.
I find it amusing that you think I am making a mockery of legitimate voters when the votes of legitimate voters were essentially dismissed (though they sort of lowered the "majority" bar for the suspects, that's about it).

They were brought down because of a policy change, nothing more. The fact that you genuinely doubt they are broken is irrelevant. The voters from the initial banning of the BL Pokemon had decided that these Pokemon were banned, so no, I don't think there is a genuine doubt as to whether or not they are / were broken. They were voting with the policy at the time, the fact that the policy has changed just changes the circumstances of the votes.

Lemmiwinks MkII said:
A metagame that never changes quickly becomes boring as fuck IMO.
Balanced metagame =/= not changing metagame. There is still change in the metagame because of new OU drop outs and possibly dropping BL Pokemon back in. It will always be changing, but it can still be balanced.

Nah, the Abomasnow / Staraptor / Shaymin metagame was far more unbalanced IMO.

As for being able to achieve true balance in UU within the realistic timeframe, I won’t deny that it is a possibility, particularly if the remaining OU processes smooth out quickly. However, the point at which UU becomes truly balanced will probably not be too far away from the point where I give up on UU for good and permanently switch over to NU. A metagame that never changes quickly becomes boring as fuck IMO.
I agree, the Staraptor and Crobat metagames were much less balanced.

And about the last thing; Ubers almost never changes, but still remains fun due to people finding new sets and the potential of underused ubers, something that will undoubtedly happen in UU, which gets a change every 3 months anyways.

I find it amusing that you think I am making a mockery of legitimate voters when the votes of legitimate voters were essentially dismissed (though they sort of lowered the "majority" bar for the suspects, that's about it).
the actual BL Pokemon

this counter-productive mess

[ridiculous math question analogy]

Our objective is to get these Pokemon banned to fix the metagame.

Some of us don't realize why these Pokemon are broken just by seeing the fact that they were BL previously, but the fact is we do know that they are broken.

If it's to make a balanced metagame, you already know the answer, it is just a question of "how do I get to the answer?"

This may frustrate some people, but I think this is the best way to go about fixing this "mess".

I don't think there's any 'think' about it, the above quotes are only from one post, even, but you're making this ridiculous statement that essentially your opinion is right and anyone who thinks otherwise is "looking at it the wrong way", and I guess more specifically you're making a claim that there is objectively a correct way to go here, which is pretty silly. The reason the whole voting process exists because there is not an objective correct decision to make in these debates. This isn't a math problem, there is not a right or wrong answer, that is why there is a group process involved to try to get the solution that is best for the most people, not to find a magical correct answer that won't get us marked off on the exam.

I didn't include anything from your second post, but yes, the circumstances do change now. Pokemon have come and left the tier since the last time these Pokemon were UU, it is a([n] at least slightly) different game now, so it's completely conceivable that they could be more or less broken than they were before since they are against different opposition now. While an argument can(and probably will through the votes) be made that they're broken once again, it is more than a little pretentious to treat it as a foregone conclusion.

I don't personally find the game right now to be quite as imbalanced as has been stated anyway, while it's pretty easy to rip apart the Pokemon individually I don't find the whole song to be quite as broken as the individual verses; there's still a pretty decent variety of Pokemon doing well right now and it is not as if any of the suspects are real sweeping threats. Gallade(and to a lesser extent Honchkrow with it's arsenal, but I'll get to that in a moment) is probably too good at ensuring it at least gets one or two just because it really isn't that hard to switch in and Close Combat in particular just does so much to basically everything, which becomes even worse coupled with the fact it has plenty of ways to deal with it's immunity. I think Gallade does some good things for the metagame too, though, in that it does a nice job of combating a lot of the UU stall teams that relied (at least, in my opinion) far too heavily on switching between Pokemon that were basically 100% counters to whatever was out on the other side of the field... I think having more Pokemon that can threaten that is a good thing, though his effect elsewhere in the metagame probably doesn't make it worth it.

Honchkrow, on the other hand, plays a pretty similar game and I've never really found it to be that big of a problem. I've played it in games where it kills half my team(or mine kills half the opposition's), and played in games where it's done basically nothing, and I think it's almost completely determined by how it is combated... the people who have been complaining that you can't swap in a wall and expect it to live are absolutely right(although with all the recoil happening stall can still do it pretty well); Honchkrow seems to be designed to rip apart that line of thinking. I don't think it is such a big problem that it is a Pokemon that needs to be combated more with smart thinking than with switching in a defensive Pokemon repeatedly; generally whichever of the Honchkrow user and its opponent is smarter about move selection (both because of Sucker Punch, and because of how frail it is to enter the field to begin with while carrying a Stealth Rock weakness) will normally come out ahead, and I'd say that's pretty much exactly what we want in "a balanced metagame" anyway. I'd be a little disappointed if Honchkrow got voted up, personally, although I think that it'd be a little more annoying with Gallade and Raikou gone since they Honchkrow and they kind of threaten each other.

I have a really biased opinion on Froslass so I won't comment on it (Every member of the six pokemon I randomly threw together so I could play 2HKOs it, most of them OHKO it, and it can't really switch in safely on any of them, so it's such a non-factor in my games at this point that I can't really judge it), but the one I'm most surprised people want to move back up to BL is Raikou.

The Sub/CM sets just aren't that effective with Pokemon like Registeel, Chansey(although I have no idea why anyone would use Chansey), Umbreon, and even Venusaur able to shut it down pretty easily, all of whom have become rather popular. I was probably the world's biggest Raikou fanboy in Adv (and to a lesser extent in GSC, I guess) so I'm not impartial here either, but the damage he causes even compared to what he did in OU last gen is pretty trivial. Even with the more offensive LO sets it is pretty much completely incapable of sweeping with all the priority flying around and the fact basically everything has EQ, and even stuff like Rhyperior it would have destroyed last gen's equivalents of handle it pretty well. If it could have both HP Grass and Ice (and maybe 5 moves on its set) I would find it to be more gamebreaking, but even running Rhyperior and Venusaur on your team would make it almost irrelevant unless you lost one of them too early in the game(which is your own fault anyway...). While it's ever so slightly easier to mess with thanks to Life Orb's existence this gen, Dugtrio having since dropped down to UU helps negate Raikou as well(when people aren't deleting him by trying to kill Rhyperior with him for reasons I never understand), much as he did last gen.

I think he has some position effects on the metagame as well. It sure hurts those stupid rain teams, which thanks to all the focus sashing and such really don't take much "skill" to play anyway; I'm a fan of anything that slows them down, and even though it can't do much during the rain if you can pop it out at the right turn with the rain down (which is usually easy) it does a nice job of interrupting that style. I just don't see it as all that threatening, and my team is not even very prepared for it. It's kind of sad to say as someone who had really hoped/expected him to stay as one of the better OU pokemon forever, but I'd say he fits in just fine here, which is a testament to how far he's fallen.

I would not be terribly surprised to find all four of the above Pokemon in BL a month from now, but I think it is awfully silly to say that any(well, maybe Gallade...) or all of them 'objectively' can't belong.

Changing the focus of the conversation a little, did anyone else notice an increase of SubLO Alakazams?
I haven't yet, but I'm kind of surprised by that... I'm surprised I haven't seem more Zams in general, actually. He's such a good candidate to be a kind of mid tier UU pokemon since he has the speed, the move variety, and the awesome offensive power but has the flaws that make him fit in the tier well with the defensive issues. He's always been one of the more popular Pokemon, I'm always surprised I don't see more people trying him out(although I haven't myself, either) now that he's available. SubLO seems like it'd be about as well as you could do with him without doing some sort of Trick or Encore gimmick set since you keep the offense and get the ability to protect yourself from priority a bit(speaking of which, maybe with Shadow Sneak Gallade gone Zam will rise at least a bit?) with Substitute.

I kinda wanna try it out myself, fucking papers/exams cutting into what I'd like to be Pokemon time :|

I know Zam is faster than pretty much anything, but throwing a Scarf on Zam could make it a fantastic UU revenge killer. I've been working with it and it's been wonderful.

Eh, I haven't saw much Alakazam in general either. I do however come across more TrickZams than Sub/LO. I think Zam usage isn't too high simply because it's so incredibly frail and fails against any kind of priority, making it easy to revenge. Substitute in a way helps it from getting revenged (and is what I think to be the most usefull move Zam has), but I still don't see the reason to use him really.

It's hard to point to better Special Attacker in UU, but I just can't bring myself to use him =/.

Eh, I haven't saw much Alakazam in general either. I do however come across more TrickZams than Sub/LO. I think Zam usage isn't too high simply because it's so incredibly frail and fails against any kind of priority, making it easy to revenge. Substitute in a way helps it from getting revenged (and is what I think to be the most usefull move Zam has), but I still don't see the reason to use him really.

It's hard to point to better Special Attacker in UU, but I just can't bring myself to use him =/.
Kill or be killed.

You exchange bulk for power and speed.

Zam..i havent met many, but when i do, its a pain...something usually dies...LO Stab Physic comming from such a Sky High SpA is just wicked

I'd like to start by thanking you for taking the time to post a legitimate and detailed explanation of why you think I'm incorrect, it's refreshing :D

I don't think there's any 'think' about it, the above quotes are only from one post, even, but you're making this ridiculous statement that essentially your opinion is right and anyone who thinks otherwise is "looking at it the wrong way", and I guess more specifically you're making a claim that there is objectively a correct way to go here, which is pretty silly. The reason the whole voting process exists because there is not an objective correct decision to make in these debates. This isn't a math problem, there is not a right or wrong answer, that is why there is a group process involved to try to get the solution that is best for the most people, not to find a magical correct answer that won't get us marked off on the exam.
What I'm trying to say is that we need to step back and look at the big picture rather than be pedantic and look at the details of which Pokemon should be considered broken.

My analogy wasn't trying to point out that the voting process should be like a math question, I was trying to explain that our plan of action was like a math question in which we already have the answer too. I was trying to say that we've already seen, in previous metagames, that the 3 BL Pokemon were in fact broken. Being able to vote them back to BL so that they don't interfere further with the test in the counter productive manner that they have been. Unless I'm mistaken, our intention was to eventually re-evaluate them anyway when we have a (by definition) almost stable metagame. Dropping them in at this time was simply illogical, because the reason for dropping them in was at a "random time" instead of a time where we could form valid opinions on the Pokemon.

This is the "mess" I was talking about, and how the only sensible solution seems to be reversing the decision that was made. This metagame was pretty horrendous, it's the first time that I actually could not bare to play much of UU.

Teifu said:
I didn't include anything from your second post, but yes, the circumstances do change now. Pokemon have come and left the tier since the last time these Pokemon were UU, it is a([n] at least slightly) different game now, so it's completely conceivable that they could be more or less broken than they were before since they are against different opposition now. While an argument can(and probably will through the votes) be made that they're broken once again, it is more than a little pretentious to treat it as a foregone conclusion.
I was referring to the technicalities of the voting process when I said the circumstances were changed (I wasn't clear, sorry). What I mean by this is that people will be in a different state of mind when they are voting to get a 66+1 as opposed to a simple majority.

However I will disagree with anyone who says the metagame has changed enough to warrant their retesting. The only debatable Pokemon who had a better time in the other metagames was Raikou, who now isn't stopped by random Pokemon such as Abomasnow (who IMO was a better counter than any Pokemon we have currently since it's actually "really good" in the metagame (Dugtrio is good but not "Abomasnow good"))

Teifu said:
I don't personally find the game right now to be quite as imbalanced as has been stated anyway, while it's pretty easy to rip apart the Pokemon individually I don't find the whole song to be quite as broken as the individual verses; there's still a pretty decent variety of Pokemon doing well right now and it is not as if any of the suspects are real sweeping threats. Gallade(and to a lesser extent Honchkrow with it's arsenal, but I'll get to that in a moment) is probably too good at ensuring it at least gets one or two just because it really isn't that hard to switch in and Close Combat in particular just does so much to basically everything, which becomes even worse coupled with the fact it has plenty of ways to deal with it's immunity. I think Gallade does some good things for the metagame too, though, in that it does a nice job of combating a lot of the UU stall teams that relied (at least, in my opinion) far too heavily on switching between Pokemon that were basically 100% counters to whatever was out on the other side of the field... I think having more Pokemon that can threaten that is a good thing, though his effect elsewhere in the metagame probably doesn't make it worth it.
I'm not sure if this was still replying to my argument about the mindset we should have when choosing who to vote BL, but I still disagree either way.

The metagame we have right now is a highly technical term known as a "shit storm". There is much less balance then I have seen in all my UU experience, which has been every metagame (actively I might add). In no other metagame did I mindlessly get to top 5 using 3 broken Pokemon because the metagame was too weak to fend them off. People can't use Chansey or Registeel viably because there is Honchkrow, Gallade, Rhyperior, and Dugtrio (among others). People can't use Dugtrio as anything but a Chansey or Registeel destroyer because of the obvious Pursuit bait it is from Honchkrow. This creates an absolutely perfect metagame for Raikou to sweep in. Froslass, without Crobat, Roserade, or essentially any viability of "Froslass counters" can simply run a bulky set and set up Spikes on about half the metagame, while beating them as well. This, in a metagame with Pokemon such as Swellow, Sceptile, (Raikou), and Alakazam is not going to be handle these fast and already impossibly hard hitting Pokemon (especially Swellow). Honchkrow has no switch ins. Gallade has no switch ins. What more can I say?

Teifu said:
Honchkrow, on the other hand, plays a pretty similar game and I've never really found it to be that big of a problem. I've played it in games where it kills half my team(or mine kills half the opposition's), and played in games where it's done basically nothing, and I think it's almost completely determined by how it is combated... the people who have been complaining that you can't swap in a wall and expect it to live are absolutely right(although with all the recoil happening stall can still do it pretty well); Honchkrow seems to be designed to rip apart that line of thinking. I don't think it is such a big problem that it is a Pokemon that needs to be combated more with smart thinking than with switching in a defensive Pokemon repeatedly; generally whichever of the Honchkrow user and its opponent is smarter about move selection (both because of Sucker Punch, and because of how frail it is to enter the field to begin with while carrying a Stealth Rock weakness) will normally come out ahead, and I'd say that's pretty much exactly what we want in "a balanced metagame" anyway. I'd be a little disappointed if Honchkrow got voted up, personally, although I think that it'd be a little more annoying with Gallade and Raikou gone since they Honchkrow and they kind of threaten each other.
Honchkrow is a different beast all together, imo. You have Honchkrow, who can essentially destroy any Pokemon who switches in. You also, however, have Pokemon such as Blaziken, Magmortar, or even Nidoking who can do the same. The difference is that Honchkrow does this with "little effort". This is what seals the deal for me at least. Being able to OHKO / 2HKO almost the whole metagame save 4-5 Pokemon is ridiculous, and being able to 2HKO or OHKO them with one coverage move is also ridiculous. The immunities, and revenge killing power are unmatched (Blaziken's priority is less than half as strong....) by the others as well. This is why teams crumble to Honchkrow and not these other hard-hitters. It's definitely worthy of suspect status at least, imo.

Teifu said:
The Sub/CM sets just aren't that effective with Pokemon like Registeel, Chansey(although I have no idea why anyone would use Chansey), Umbreon, and even Venusaur able to shut it down pretty easily, all of whom have become rather popular. I was probably the world's biggest Raikou fanboy in Adv (and to a lesser extent in GSC, I guess) so I'm not impartial here either, but the damage he causes even compared to what he did in OU last gen is pretty trivial. Even with the more offensive LO sets it is pretty much completely incapable of sweeping with all the priority flying around and the fact basically everything has EQ, and even stuff like Rhyperior it would have destroyed last gen's equivalents of handle it pretty well. If it could have both HP Grass and Ice (and maybe 5 moves on its set) I would find it to be more gamebreaking, but even running Rhyperior and Venusaur on your team would make it almost irrelevant unless you lost one of them too early in the game(which is your own fault anyway...). While it's ever so slightly easier to mess with thanks to Life Orb's existence this gen, Dugtrio having since dropped down to UU helps negate Raikou as well(when people aren't deleting him by trying to kill Rhyperior with him for reasons I never understand), much as he did last gen.
As I mentioned previously, the threats in this metagame essentially shape it into a metagame where Raikou absolutely wrecks teams. Having so many Pokemon that can easily pick Registeel and Chansey apart is just a start. The biggest flaw in the "Raikou has checks" argument is that these checks are easily passable / removable with very simple strategies that require little to no effort. Dugtrio destroys Chansey and Registeel incredibly easily, and weakens Regirock, Steelix, and the others to the point of not being able to counter Raikou anymore. Rhyperior can only switch in once on Raikou, same with Venusaur (even max SpD).

Raikou also flat out beats all but 10 Pokemon (who comfortably stop Raikou at least once) who are classified "UU", and some of them need to be specialized, such as Steelix who becomes much easier to beat with Dugtrio due to SpD EVs.

I think Raikou is the most clearly BL Pokemon out of the four, actually.

Teifu said:
I think he has some position effects on the metagame as well. It sure hurts those stupid rain teams, which thanks to all the focus sashing and such really don't take much "skill" to play anyway; I'm a fan of anything that slows them down, and even though it can't do much during the rain if you can pop it out at the right turn with the rain down (which is usually easy) it does a nice job of interrupting that style. I just don't see it as all that threatening, and my team is not even very prepared for it. It's kind of sad to say as someone who had really hoped/expected him to stay as one of the better OU pokemon forever, but I'd say he fits in just fine here, which is a testament to how far he's fallen.
While I'm in favor of having more Pokemon to check Rain, that is not an argument for Raikou being UU. Raikou does a mediocre job of that anyway imo.
Teifu said:
I would not be terribly surprised to find all four of the above Pokemon in BL a month from now, but I think it is awfully silly to say that any(well, maybe Gallade...) or all of them 'objectively' can't belong.

That depends on you objective. My objective (and some others who have agreed when I posted about this a while back) is to try and get the most stable metagame possible. The only way we know will help stabilize the metagame is to remove what unstabilized it, since those are the Pokemon who must me broken if they are causing the metagame to be unstable. Seems logical too me at least.

That's just what I think the best solution is anyway.

However I will disagree with anyone who says the metagame has changed enough to warrant their retesting.
My memory may be a little fuzzy but HGSS updates were after three of the suspects (Raikou, Gallade, Froslass) were removed. That means that those three Pokemon were removed before Venusaur got PowerWhip, Aggron got HeadSmash,Honchkrow got Brave Bird, and finally all of those other Pokemon getting Heal Bell, Super Fang, Encore, etc... insignificant changes?

Also those three or four BL's were dropped down with Alakazam, Umbreon, and Rhyperior, more Pokemon they would have to contend with.

I can happily say that alot of mentality changes have happened since the first round of bans. Players no longer cry "Your team is full of BL's" or "This isn't UU any more." Players have opened thier eyes a bit more and are actually searching for more solutions to the problem other than saying "My regular team cannot beat this Pokemon and it has been doing amazing so far... this Pokemon is to good." So I believe that the change in player mentality aslo has significantly changed.

With the exception of Honchkrow, I'm totally indifferent to which Pokemon gets voted to suspect status/ BL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Teifu
Honchkrow is a different beast all together, imo. You have Honchkrow, who can essentially destroy any Pokemon who switches in. You also, however, have Pokemon such as Blaziken, Magmortar, or even Nidoking who can do the same. The difference is that Honchkrow does this with "little effort". This is what seals the deal for me at least. Being able to OHKO / 2HKO almost the whole metagame save 4-5 Pokemon is ridiculous, and being able to 2HKO or OHKO them with one coverage move is also ridiculous. The immunities, and revenge killing power are unmatched (Blaziken's priority is less than half as strong....) by the others as well. This is why teams crumble to Honchkrow and not these other hard-hitters. It's definitely worthy of suspect status at least, imo.
This reminds me of times...Sometimes when i Bring out Honch, There is not much thinking, if its Slower, Brave Bird it, and even it swtiches, it will do stupid amounts of damage to anything, or KOing outright.

I was battling once againts LonelyNess i think, and i brouught out Rhyperior after some other poke fainted, and he used HP grass, HP GRASS it swept my team from there on, i only had 2 pokes alive after that tho LOL

Brave Bird owns lots of stuff, and the ones it does not own, Super Power does, and if all that fails, you always have sucker punch for a last ditch effort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)