np: XY OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Ghost of Perdition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it begins.

Let me start it simple fact: Aegislash is the best pokemon in the metagame. Period. If there was an S+ rank, Aegislash would be the first, and probably the only mon to deserve it. It's even better than the recently banned deoxys formes, although those were in my opinion more unhealthy to the meta. It is just amazing at everything it does. It can wall, sweep, pivot, wallbreak, revenge kill, and be good at any of those depending on what set you use. It counters a high number of common threats, being able to easily switch into many things with its high number of resistances and good bulk, and its high offensive power. It easily becomes the MVP is any team it's in, being the one pokemon that will deal the hugest blow to the team if it goes down, because of the sheer match-up advantage it brings.

Even more, it is centralizing as fuck. There is just no way around it, Aegislash is the king of gen 6, the one pokemon that defines it and dictates its rules. The name of Gen 6 OU is Aegislash. Being countered by Aegislash is usually grounds for keeping a pokemon with low usage, or even outside OU. Things such as Medicham and Gardevoir are prevented from ruling the tier because of it, while others such as Starmie are barely viable. In a game ruled by Aegislash, how well a pokemon fares against it is a major criterium to choose it. Heck, Aegislash was probably the reason the Deos took so long to be banned, since it was the only thing preventing them from being blatantly gamebreaking. Using a pokemon that is countered by Aegislash means every time it comes in, it will give a free switch to something with a 150 attack stat and a spammable Shadow Ball. The only reason Aegislash isn't a bigger concern in teambuilding is that almost everything it can easily beat has been kicked down to the lower tiers long ago.

That said, being "the best" and "the most centralizing" doesn't necessarily mean it should be banned. While it's true there isn't anything that counters every single of its sets, that also goes for many of the pokemon in OU. And a game where everything had easy counters would be a boring game, with long battles and lots of double switches. Besides, Aegislash still has a high number of checks. Things that can't always switch, but beat every set if they are given a free switch. Such as Mega Charizard Y, Landorus, Amoongus, Excadrill, Garchomp, Mega Gyarados... anything with decent speed, and a super-effective, contact-less STAB wins against it. And there are quite a few pokemon who can do that because Aegislash is still a slow pokemon, with 4 weaknesses (3 common ones). And once you discover its set, the number of checks (and counters) rises even more. So Aegislash, despite being amazing, is not excessively hard to beat. Every team has something that beats it, and it's often without sacrificing a lot of effectiveness against other pokemon.

I also don't agree with the 50/50 argument. There is a reason we play this game against players, instead of sticking to NPCs like the Battle Maison. It's because it leads to mind games, where the best option isn't simple the one with the highest probability of success, but where being able to manipulate or predict your opponent is also a skill. This is why, for example, we use lures: we are sacrificing an objective probability of victory to induce a desired behavior in our opponent. A game where every move was dictated by the highest probability of winning wouldn't be a game, it would be a math problem. Aegislash, in that sense, it's a pokemon higly dependant on mind games: the player who manages to manipulate the opponent the best tends to win the match-ups involving it. For example, a few months ago, I was using a SUbstitute Kyurem-B. After many matches, I learned that the best way of defeating opposing Aegislashes with my Kyu-B was by picking moves in this order: Sub-Sub-Earth Power-Earth Power, because more often than not, it would induce my opponent into doing what I wanted. Similarly, if I'm using an Aegislash and have a good reason to think I'm facing a Belly Drum Azumarill, I may try to use Shadow Ball even though I'm already in Blade Forme, since the Azumarill is likely going to attempt to set up on me. That is a kind skill that goes beyond the simple X-Y% probabilities that people are talking about in this thread, and I think the game is more interesting with it.

In the end, what it should boil down to, is: being Aegislash a metagame centralizing entity, is it centralizing the meta into a more fun and competitive one? If it is not, then it should be banned. Personally, I'm not feeling it. I'm glad they did this suspect test because this is a discussion that really needs to be done, but for now, I don't think it should be banned. It simply isn't unhealthy for the meta. It might even be making the meta more healthy, since it keeps a lot of potentially broken offensive threats in check, like it did with the Deos. I might change my mind after playing the suspect ladder. After all, a gen 6 OU game without Aegislash might be completely different from anything we have played before. Let's just see how good it is.

Last edited:
Oh I didn't know this was a thread already. I should pay more attention ~.~

So, Aegislash. Aegislash is pretty much the best mixed attacker OU has ever seen, and is centralizing for this reason. 150 base offenses is crazy, and a fully invested Shadow Sneak does stupid damage to anything on an unresisted hit. King's Shield also gives it an opportunity for mind games, and helps it deal with physical hits much better. But, is it banworthy? It has a nice typing, but some common weaknesses like Fire and Ground. It's sets can be unpredictable, but have their flaws. How I see it? If this thing was banned, the game would be fun and the meta would be healthier (ahem, Talonflame).

Really, though, I don't see it getting banned. I kinda want it gone tho~

+2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 214-253 (49.5 - 58.5%) -- 68.4% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 160-189 (37 - 43.7%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

With hazards or prior damage, and in conjunction with King's Shield, Swords Dance Aegislash can combine those two moves to KO Amoongus while avoiding heavy (or any) damage from Foul Play. Congratulations, you lost your counter and now have a +2 Atk Aegislash to deal with, because you were expecting a special set!

And what is Gliscor supposed to do against Air Balloon Aegislash? It looks like it's going to be a stallfest between the Toxic Orb Gliscor and Air Balloon Aegislash, but then the moment Shadowball's Spec Def drop happens or Roost runs out (Roost has 16 max pp, Shadowball has 24), Gliscor is dead or forced to switch out.

252 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. -1 252 HP / 252 SpD Gliscor: 207-244 (58.4 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

So no neither of those two are surefire counters to ALL of Aegislash's sets. They're checks, at best.

Agreed. With the standard combination of Swords Dance and King's Shield, Aegislash has no trouble whatsoever dealing with Amoonguss, as it's slower and is therefore only ever hit by Foul Play while in shield form (and that does laughable damage regardless of how many boosts Aegislash has).

Like you said, even specially defensive Gliscor has no chance against the dreaded Air Balloon Aegislash. Not only that, but Gliscor isn't a safe switch-in to Aegislash even if it has Taunt + Knock Off, because Aegislash usually carries Hidden Power Ice.
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gliscor: 359-426 (101.4 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

To help you debunk some more myths about what can supposedly check/counter Aegislash:

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz on a critical hit: 231-274 (54.4 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Mandibuzz can't switch into LO Aegislash's Flash Cannon (let alone Head Smash) no matter how much special bulk it runs. Congratulations, you just lost your counter because you were expecting a Swords Dance set!

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 185-218 (44 - 51.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and Leftovers recovery
Hippowdon Earthquake vs. Air Balloon Aegislash-Blade: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- aim for the horn next time
Hippowdon is 2HKOed by Aegislash, so it can't switch in either.

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 144-172 (37.3 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 3 layers of Spikes, and Leftovers recovery
The same applies to even defensive Heatran.

Last edited:
I believe Aegislash is problematic for it ability to produce 50/50 scenarios that require heavy guess and its ability to beat most of it counters by changing a single move in its set. However, Aegislash is a necessary evil for the OU meta. From observing multiple battles and discussions, I notice that Aegislash's removal improved the viability of Pokémon such as Mega Medicham, Mega Heracross, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Pinsir, Mega Scizor, Lucario, Greninja, and Terrakion. The first three mentions are very good stallbreakers. When Mega Pinsir runs close combat it can get past Skarmory which is often the only check to it on stall teams. Aegislash's presence helps stall indirectly by keeping powerful stallbreakers in check. Also, all of the Pokémon that I listed are usually found on offensive teams. From what I have seen running stall on the suspect ladder seems like an awful idea. The ban of deoxys's helped make the meta less offensive. The banning of Aegislash could easily ruined all of that hard work.

I believe Aegislash is problematic for it ability to produce 50/50 scenarios that require heavy guess and its ability to beat most of it counters by changing a single move in its set. However, Aegislash is a necessary evil for the OU meta. From observing multiple battles and discussions, I notice that Aegislash's removal improved the viability of Pokémon such as Mega Medicham, Mega Heracross, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Pinsir, Mega Scizor, Lucario, Greninja, and Terrakion. The first three mentions are very good stallbreakers. When Mega Pinsir runs close combat it can get past Skarmory which is often the only check to it on stall teams. Aegislash's presence helps stall indirectly by keeping powerful stallbreakers in check. Also, all of the Pokémon that I listed are usually found on offensive teams. From what I have seen running stall on the suspect ladder seems like an awful idea. The ban of deoxys's helped make the meta less offensive. The banning of Aegislash could easily ruined all of that hard work.
I fail to see why the meta necessarily needs to become less offensive, though. It should be balanced and competitive, but being more or less offensive is something that should be natural.

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
When I get reqs I'm going to vote ban, but the suspect ladder is absolute cancer. Every team has either mega garde or medi, forcing every team to have multiple checks. I hate it right now, but I know that the real ou ladder will settle down, and all teams won't be mega garde and medi.

I'm saying this so don't say no ban because they hate the suspect ladder.

TFL, I saw your argument a long time ago. While it is true aegi has overwhelming amount of "pseudostats", at the end of the day that's what it is: Fake stats. Remember that even by your own argument, 150 won't be used any turn due to only using special or physical. Secondly, this applies only if Aegi is slower. While this is common, that doesn't mean we can discount pokemon like Mega Mawile from the equation, who is far slower.

The HP stat holds it back. While coupled with some insane defense, it still is OHKOd by Bisharp's knock off 70% of the time (and guaranteed with any prior damage).

150 attack/special is devestating, but both can't be invested (or never are) as his HP stat would be worthless then. More importantly, Aegi possesses no good boosting set. SD+3 attacks? I have yet to face one or see one perform in such a way to justify it. There's no special boosting (which is an honest godsend for the meta). With the bulk, there is also no recover move. Limited to his natural bulk and generally limited to his natural attack, he's just an incredibly bulky pivot, slightly resembling a more specially bulky Landorus-T.

Yes, the sets are generally an issue. However, this is comparable to 5th gen Kyub. A set to beat everything but not everything beaten by a set. Only Amoongus really can hold claim to true Aegi countering. However, Chesnaught, Mandibuzz, Hippowdon, Gliscor, Gyarados-m (esp when mega evolving) all can hold claim to countering MANY sets. As in, most of them very rarely lose to it. Kyub did stall worse last gen, having exactly one stall mon that could beat it with any consistency (jirachi). Aegi's bulk allows him to generally take one SE move (from something not named Bisharp or roughly comparable to...) but he has no way to prepare for the second or guarantee the kill. For attackers like Landorus, Garchomp or any of the common EQ users, he's pretty easy to check down. Yes, you're going to have an issue switching in if he spams shadow ball, but then again try switching into a Landorus... or any powerful attacker. To be honest, hearing the arguments for the past month of "Oh, Chesnaught? Flash Cannon Aegi! Mandi? Head Smash Aegi! All Beaten" is garbage because A. Sets are uncommon and B. Aegi doesn't have a bag of holding for move slots.

King's Shield is interesting. As aegi's single most important move to most sets, it is hard to take a loss -2 and the momentum swing is fairly ridiculous. However, what's coming in on Aegi that is so worried about KS? Most Aegi checks SPECIFICALLY run non contact moves. Aka EQ. Aka Special moves like fire blast. Aka Sucker Punch. The Metagame has adapted enough that this is a general non-factor.

Aegi is obviously strong. Strong enough to force other mons to be unviable. HOWEVER, this is no different from any other really fantastic mon. Hmm, I can't FATHOM why infernape, Volcarona and Lucario are ALL UU now after one update... Couldn't possibly be Talonflame's doing... Probably Aegislash, right? You know what Starmie is? Outclassed. Outclassed as a spinner by Excadrill. Outclassed as a fast water type by Greninja. Explain to me why, even with Aegi gone, I'd use Starmie? Same for Medicham-mega when I can use Mega Mawile for power or a terrakion for better speed and fight coverage. Alakazam-mega is probably the only one I can see truly being inhibited by Aegislash on his own and I can also see talonflame restricting Alakazam badly.

This is almost humorous anymore. Sadly, we've got so many people who won't give it the time of day and the mentality of ban all suspected is already set in stone. However, I really don't see "Aegi inhibiting the metagame".

What you said about people saying: "Oh, Chesnaught? Flash Cannon Aegi! Mandi? Head Smash Aegi! All Beaten" is true that it has a bit of 4MSS, with most sets (except defensive ones, like SubToxic) running King's Shield, but that's what makes it interesting. It has a variety of sets which can stop these counters/hard counters, which most people don't see coming because of the usual KS/Sacred Sword/Shadow Sneak/Iron head or special/mixed set. While Mega Lucario may not be the best comparison, that's part of the problem with most Ubers/things we've suspected in 6th gen. Mega Kanga could run Fire Punch/EQ to hit steels. Mega Luke, you couldn't see what set it was until it was too late and it was already at +2, and even had other mixed sets. Genesect was commonly scarfed, but could throw opponents off guard with CB/Rock Polish/Expert Belt sets. Deoxys-D didn't have this, it was just guaranteed rocks/spikes (at least rocks or 1 layer of spikes), though Mental Herb stopped things like Sableye and faster Taunters, and Espeon could be trumped with the uncommon but convenient Skill Swap. Deo-S could easily be a lead, but also offensive, but using a different hazard user like Lando/Lando-T or Bisharp (lol). My point is that unpredictability/versatility (to an extent, as Smeargle/Mew aren't being suspected anytime soon.) is part of what makes an Uber, as you can see in most bans from Gen 4 and on, Though you are right about some of the things that Aegi supposedly "forced out of the tier." Starmie was outclassed. Infernape was outclassed, and Talonflame actually forced it out. Alakazam was actually threatened by Aegi/Tflame though.

tl;dr, Versatility is one of the things that makes it broken, like many Ubers banned from Gen 4 and on, as it can run unorthodox sets to stop counters.

When I get reqs I'm going to vote ban, but the suspect ladder is absolute cancer. Every team has either mega garde or medi, forcing every team to have multiple checks. I hate it right now, but I know that the real ou ladder will settle down, and all teams won't be mega garde and medi.

I'm saying this so don't say no ban because they hate the suspect ladder.
So, the more viable birdspam, Azumarill, and others are just going to balance out on their own?

No, the meta without Slash isn't any more stable. We can fix this with more tests and bans, but why bother if there's nothing wrong with the one we have right now.

Agreed. With the standard combination of Swords Dance and King's Shield, Aegislash has no trouble whatsoever dealing with Amoonguss, as it's slower and is therefore only ever hit by Foul Play while in shield form (and that does laughable damage regardless of how many boosts Aegislash has).
I've avoided posting in this thread much b/c I know that I'm not one of the most skilled players, but people who say blatantly false stuff like this are just ridiculous. Amoonguss has 30 BASE SPEED. Aegislash HAS 60 BASE SPEED. Amoonguss is ALWAYS slower than Aegislash and will ALWAYS hit it in Blade form once Aegis attacks. And Foul Play does do a decent chunk even in Shield Form, especially after a boost.

EDIT: Also what is this calc even supposed to prove, if you somehow manage SR + 3 layers of spikes w/out your opponent doing anything, you already win

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 144-172 (37.3 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 3 layers of Spikes, and Leftovers recovery
The same applies to even defensive Heatran.

The fact that Aegislash could run either a special or physical set puts anyone off switching in their physical or specially defensive wall to take the hit, forcing me to either sacrifice something as death fodder or let something else take a huge hit. Of course, I could take the coin toss and hope that it's physical and switch in my Mandibuzz but if it turns out to be a special Aegislash I could lose the game. However if it runs a mixed set I just have to sit there and watch as my check takes a hit that deals over 50% and then once again I have to consider saccing off something. Quite a horrible pokemon to play against imo.

So it begins.

Let me start it simple fact: Aegislash is the best pokemon in the metagame. Period. If there was an S+ rank, Aegislash would be the first, and probably the only mon to deserve it. It's even better than the recently banned deoxys formes, although those were in my opinion more unhealthy to the meta. It is just amazing at everything it does. It can wall, sweep, pivot, wallbreak, revenge kill, and be good at any of those depending on what set you use. It counters a high number of common threats, being able to easily switch into many things with its high number of resistances and good bulk, and its high offensive power. It easily becomes the MVP is any team it's in, being the one pokemon that will deal the hugest blow to the team if it goes down, because of the sheer match-up advantage it brings.

Even more, it is centralizing as fuck. There is just no way around it, Aegislash is the king of gen 6, the one pokemon that defines it and dictates its rules. The name of Gen 6 OU is Aegislash. Being countered by Aegislash is usually grounds for keeping a pokemon with low usage, or even outside OU. Things such as Medicham and Gardevoir are prevented from ruling the tier because of it, while others such as Starmie are barely viable. In a game ruled by Aegislash, how well a pokemon fares against it is a major criterium to choose it. Heck, Aegislash was probably the reason the Deos took so long to be banned, since it was the only thing preventing them from being blatantly gamebreaking. Using a pokemon that is countered by Aegislash means every time it comes in, it will give a free switch to something with a 150 attack stat and a spammable Shadow Ball. The only reason Aegislash isn't a bigger concern in teambuilding is that almost everything it can easily beat has been kicked down to the lower tiers long ago.

That said, being "the best" and "the most centralizing" doesn't necessarily mean it should be banned. While it's true there isn't anything that counters every single of its sets, that also goes true for many of the pokemon in OU. And a game where everything had easy counters would be a boring game, with long battles and lots of double switches. Besides, Aegislash still has a high number of checks. Things that can't always switch, but beat every set if they are given a free switch. Such as Mega Charizard Y, Landorus, Amoongus, Excadrill, Garchomp, Mega Gyarados... anything with decent speed, and a super-effective, contact-less STAB wins against it. And there are quite a few pokemon who can do that because Aegislash is still a slow pokemon, with 4 weaknesses (3 common ones). And once you discover its set, the number of checks (and counters) raises even more. So Aegislash, despite being amazing, is not excessively hard to beat. Every team has something that beats it, and it's often without sacrificing a lot of effectiveness against other pokemon.

I also don't agree with the 50/50 argument. There is a reason we play this game against players, instead of sticking to NPCs like the Battle Maison. It's because it leads to mind games, where the best option isn't simple the one with the highest probability of success, but where being able to manipulate or predict your opponent is also a skill. This is why, for example, we use lures: we are sacrificing an objective probability of victory to induce a desired behavior in our opponent. A game where every move was dictated by the highest probability of winning wouldn't be a game, it would be a math problem. Aegislash, in that sense, it's a pokemon higly dependant on mind games: the player who manages to manipulate the opponent the best tends to win the match-ups involving it. For example, a few months ago, I was using a SUbstitute Kyurem-B. After many matches, I learned that the best way of defeating opposing Aegislashes with my Kyu-B was by picking moves in this order: Sub-Sub-Earth Power-Earth Power, because more often than not, it would induce my opponent into doing what I wanted. Similarly, if I'm using an Aegislash and have a good reason to think I'm facing a Belly Drum Azumarill, I may try to use Shadow Ball even though I'm already in Blade Forme, since the Azumarill is likely going to attempt to set up on me. That is a kind skill that goes beyond the simple X-Y% probabilities that people are talking about in this thread, and I think the game is more interesting with it.

In the end, what it should boil down to, is: being Aegislash a metagame centralizing entity, is it centralizing the meta into a more fun and competitive one? If it is not, then it should be banned. Personally, I'm not feeling it. I'm glad they did this suspect test because this is a discussion that really needs to be done, but for now, I don't think it should be banned. It simply isn't unhealthy for the meta. It might even be making the meta more healthy, since it keeps a lot of potentially broken offensive threats in check, like it did with the Deos. I might change my mind after playing the suspect ladder. After all, a gen 6 OU game without Aegislash might be completely different from anything we have played before. Let's just see how good it is.
Checks. Think about that. Not counters, just checks. It can run unorthodox sets to get past these. Think a Mega Lucario with less power (Adaptability) but more mindgame-causing. With King's Shield, it's a hit-miss. King's Shield expecting a Zard X's Flare Blitz? Zard's at +1. Switch out fearing the Flare Blitz? Zard's at +1. This applies to all set-up sweepers really, just sometimes more threatening (Belly Drum/Swords Dance/Nasty Plot etc.) However, opponent is tempted to go for a contact move? Usually they'll switch out (unless a mixed pokemon who has a special move to do decent damage) and you either get a free switch or a free SD (if you run that). Aegi is versatile, and also forces your opponent into mindgames because almost ALL the viable sets (lol scarf aegi) run KS.

My problem with Aegislash is not king shield + swords dance, because taunt can shut it up, is the fact there is simply no way to know what set he is running. I may try to burn him and get a shadow ball in the face, i may try to switch into a Normal type poke to counter the shadow ball and Aegi start to use substitute/toxic/rest, i may try to be more offensive and attack with a super effective attack or even used knock off, congratz =D you activeted his weakness policy and now he have +2 shadow ball or +4 attack in one turn of swords dance. he is perfect with weakness policy, leftovers, life orb, choice band/spec. I will try to vote for his ban to make my life easier and to allow me to use others pokes like Starmie. BUT, I do really think he will be smashed against ubers pokes, i wonder if it would be possible to create a new tier between OU and Uber, there would the perfect place for aegislash, zard X and others.

I've avoided posting in this thread much b/c I know that I'm not one of the most skilled players, but people who say blatantly false stuff like this are just ridiculous. Amoonguss has 30 BASE SPEED. Aegislash HAS 60 BASE SPEED. Amoonguss is ALWAYS slower than Aegislash and will ALWAYS hit it in Blade form once Aegis attacks. And Foul Play does do a decent chunk even in Shield Form, especially after a boost.
Not to mention the above scenario is extremely unlikely and would involve incompetence from the Amoongus user, as it's assuming the Aegislash is +2 before it even switches in (and let's face it, a lot of mons are threatening at +2).

The checks for the 'king of the meta' are numerous, and I think there's far more instability if Aegislash goes than stays. Prediction will always affect games, 50/50 scenarios can often make or break a match, and whilst Aegislash highlights this point repeatedly, it faces the same punishment for misprediction as any other mon. I've always lost to Aegislash as a result of poor decision making, never because it was overpowered compared to anything else in the meta.

The fact that Aegislash could run either a special or physical set puts anyone off switching in their physical or specially defensive wall to take the hit, forcing me to either sacrifice something as death fodder or let something else take a huge hit. Of course, I could take the coin toss and hope that it's physical and switch in my Mandibuzz but if it turns out to be a special Aegislash I could lose the game. However if it runs a mixed set I just have to sit there and watch as my check takes a hit that deals over 50% and then once again I have to consider saccing off something. Quite a horrible pokemon to play against imo.
Ban all mixed attackers.

Aight, some "obligatory" pre-suspect test thoughts on aegislash:

Well this thing is p. gud, but i'm seeing the word "versatile" being thrown around a lot and being connected to aegislash, and I sorta wanna address that. Sure, it has a number of separate and viable sets, but does that necessarily mean its versatile? I like to think of it like this:
Think of all the possible viable moves aegislash can run:
Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon, Iron Head, Head Smash, Swords Dance, Shadow Sneak, Sacred Swords, King's Shield, Toxic, Substitute, Pursuit.
That covers just about everything aegislash does, and that's 11 different moves, and I'm being quite generous with Pursuit and Head Smash lol.

Ok.
Now, lets look at a pokemon that's ACTUALLY versatile, Mega Lucario

There were a few different moves Mega Lucario could've ran:
Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Close Combat, Aura Sphere, Bullet Punch, Flash Cannon, Vacuum Wave, Ice Punch, Crunch, Earthquake.
That's 10 different moves, and I ignored some really wacky sets like agility, work up, and god knows what else I've seen lower ladder lmao.

But you're thinking hey, aegislash runs more possible moves, what makes mega lucario more versatile?

Ultimately, no matter what aegislash runs, its checks are going to be very similar. Mandibuzz is a super strong check to ANY aegislash set (nothing counters aegislash), as is Chesnaught and Bisharp, etc, etc. The point is all sets have very similar switch-ins, whether the set was built to beat those switch-ins or not isn't as relevant. Even if they do, its more of a tiny variation rather than a totally different set.

But looking at mega lucario, its quite fucking different. Its not even about getting crippled or whatever; you make the wrong switch and you just lost a mon. That's all there is to it. Mega Lucario has wildly different safe switch-ins, and you're never really too safe until you find out the entire set!
There's even different variations OF variations! (Different coverage moves on SD OR NP, BOTH of which are perfectly viable). Now THAT is a truly versatile mon.

Aside from that, everything OP about aegislash (stats, typing, great STAB(s), etc) has already been covered and is self-explanatory.
Uh, what are you doing? We know Mega Luke is way more powerful and probably more versatile than Aegislash, that's why it was almost unanimously banned.

But to continue the comparison: Mega Luke ran exactly one item, Lucarionite of course. Aegislash can run Leftovers, Spell Tag/Spooky Plate, Life Orb, Choice Band, Choice Specs, Air Ballon, Shuca Berry, Colbur Berry, and Weakness Policy all pretty well. It also has defensive capabilities way beyond Luke, and can Pursuit trap, unlike Luke.

Mandibuzz is a super strong check to ANY aegislash set (nothing counters aegislash), as is Chesnaught and Bisharp, etc, etc. The point is all sets have very similar switch-ins, whether the set was built to beat those switch-ins or not isn't as relevant.

But looking at mega lucario, its quite fucking different. Its not even about getting crippled or whatever; you make the wrong switch and you just lost a mon. That's all there is to it. Mega Lucario has wildly different safe switch-ins, and you're never really too safe until you find out the entire set!
Neither Aegislash or Mega Luke had a universal safe switch in by your own account here. Mega Luke had a number of reliable-ish checks, like Aegislash, but nothing could counter every set it could run, just like Aegislash. Mandibuzz and Chesnaught both lose to SubToxic and Flash Cannon sets, while Bisharp can't switch in to Sacred Sword (or check sets with Colbur Berry. Like I know it's a super rare item and most have never seen it used but Aegislash is an amazingly good user of weakness berries.)

TL; DR aegislash ain't that versatile.
Maybe, if you're comparing to one the most hilariously broken things to ever grace OU.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Uh, what are you doing? We know Mega Luke is way more powerful and probably more versatile than Aegislash, that's why it was almost unanimously banned.

But to continue the comparison: Mega Luke ran exactly one item, Lucarionite of course. Aegislash can run Leftovers, Spell Tag/Spooky Plate, Life Orb, Choice Band, Choice Specs, Air Ballon, Shuca Berry, Colbur Berry, and Weakness Policy all pretty well. It also has defensive capabilities way beyond Luke, and can Pursuit trap, unlike Luke.

Neither Aegislash or Mega Luke had a universal safe switch in by your own account here. Mega Luke had a number of reliable-ish checks, like Aegislash, but nothing could counter every set it could run, just like Aegislash. Mandibuzz and Chesnaught both lose to SubToxic and Flash Cannon sets, while Bisharp can't switch in to Sacred Sword (or check sets with Colbur Berry. Like I know it's a super rare item and most have never seen it used but Aegislash is an amazingly good user of weakness berries.)

Maybe, if you're comparing to one the most hilariously broken things to ever grace OU.
Mandibuzz with Taunt doesn't lose to Sub Toxic or Flash Cannon unless it switches in on a Toxic or Flash Cannon.

I'm really on the fence about this suspect test, as like many notable players have said, aegislash keeps a huge amount of the meta in check. However, the problem I have with aegislash is the sheer amount of pokemon that it can beat in a 1v1 situation that it downright shouldn't be able to thanks to its amazing ability. Its almost always going to take more than one pokemon on your team to take down aegislash, and its always bringing something down first, which I think is a problem. You know something is wrong when one of its supposed best checks in bisharp loses 1v1 if bisharp runs something other than life orb and aegislash is at 100% and runs secret sword. Pokemon such as landorus t who are supposed to be able to handle it can barely check it, as although lando t will win 1v1, hes losing 80% of his health to do so. Not to mention that if played safely and well, it is highly probable that aegislash is going to be around at the end of the game, while firing off hugely powerful shadow balls during the mid game. All of this said though, I'm a little afraid of what a meta without aegislash might look like. As Halcyon said earlier, it keeps so much of the meta under control, and I feel as though banning aegislash might be akin to opening the pandora's box of the OU tier.

Why is everybody forgetting about Amoonguss when talking about Aegi counters? Aside from the gimmicky Head Smash there is nothing Aegi can do about him so there is a pretty decent counter for the standard sets. Also its not like Sub Toxic makes Hippo and Mandibuzz useless as checks. Mandi often runs taunt so Aegi can only get a toxic off on a predicted switch, something the opponent can take advantage of with say Heatran, both Mandi and Hippo still force Aegi out and can heal off the Toxic damage. With cleric support its even easier. And the most important thing thats always ignored here, while perfect all around counters are rare, there are like a million decent checks for Aegi. Almost every special attacker and everything with Earthquake that can take a Shadow Ball beats Aegi 1on1 and if your willing to play some mind games the list becomes even longer as stuff like Knock Off Scizor and many other things join the party.

I have never contributed to the forums or the community in any way, none the less i'm a decently skilled player, who started playing pokemon competitively around the start of b/w1. I have been number 1 on the ladder in multiple tiers more times than i can remember tbh... I don't think it's broken at all, over centralizing ? Absolutely not, smogon bird is more guilty of that than aeigi... It does however support any team (virtually) extremely well, which just really just shows how versatile it is... That certainly doesn't mean it's ban worthy imo. I have used many teams without a reliable aegi switch in and still don't find it problematic, it's just really good, thundy, char x, lando, and smogon bird are all more broken than aeigi. The only argument i agree with is that 50/50's make the meta less skill based, which is fair (you can't really argue with it) but i will still 99.9% be voting NO BAN

Kairyu_Gen1 I made two posts covering the topic, including one explicitly explaining with a 50/50 is. If you still don't understand what a 50/50 is, there's no point in arguing.
Really?

I already explained how your first post fails to prove anything.

All your second post did was restate your opinion and insult anyone who disagreed with you.

I actually agree with your third post but that's because your explaining an established policy, not your opinion. Plus, that last paragraph has been proven untrue as it's been proven that the meta is well adapted to Slash and checks are abundant and easy to fit on teams.

If your fourth post is your main argument, I'm severely disappointed. There is no such thing as a risk = reward senario. Even ones where it is questionable, you can analyze teams and define if defeating or even damaging Aegislash is worth risking -2 atk. If you get caught being greedy because you didn't see an attack coming, that's always been on you, not your opponent's pokemon.

Your fifth post is correct in identifying some examples of centralization, but I laugh if people call that over centralization. Next thing you know people will want Venusaurite banned for making flying so popular. (and a small disclaimer, of course Dnite will keep EQ, Tran's that much of a threat).

I didn't even read post #6 at first, because it opened with a lie. I'll refer to one of my posts

The burden of proof still lies on the pro ban argument, and you haven't done that in the slightest. You've just stated your opinion and relied on your reputation and bandwagon to do the rest. You did the exact same thing with BP, and I label you as one of the main reasons they went with the clause over the complex bans, and we all saw how well that went.

lol Talonflame and Chansey? What are those making significantly less viable/good. Nothing.
Talonflame, thanks to its bird spam, prevents quite a few Pokemon from being 100% functional in OU, such as Mega Heracross and Hawlucha. As far as I know, all Chansey does is make its older sister, Blissey, outclassed, along with giving a lot of other special walls a run for their money (though not outclassing them).

i seriously am worried about launching into another suspect test when the fallout of the last 2 tests hasn't even fully settled yet yes oras is coming but it's 4 months away and that's still plenty of time to get things done properly and not hastily.

on the the topic of aegislash itself i think it's one of those mons who while borderline broken is one of those things that the removal of will make many more things broken and will be more negative to the metagame than any benefit from it's removal will be and as such i'm leaning on not ban-worthy

So, the more viable birdspam, Azumarill, and others are just going to balance out on their own?

No, the meta without Slash isn't any more stable. We can fix this with more tests and bans, but why bother if there's nothing wrong with the one we have right now.
Lets Re-introduce Lugia back into OU then because it can help hold back other things.

Just Because a pokemon prevents other pokemon from getting out of hands doesn't mean it shouldn't be banned

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
I know it's been mentioned a couple times, but seriously, can we make banning King's Shield an option? It takes away the 50/50, and Aegislash can't return to Shield form without it - meaning it only gets 1 turn of 720 BST when it's switched out. It also slightly nerfs the SubToxic set. I know nobody's gonna listen to Seevea the Nobody, though, so I'd like a few of the badged users/moderators to say what they think on this. Subject 18, Halcyon., Jukain, what do you guys think of this proposal (and any others that see this post)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)