np: XY UU Stage 1 - Reload [Salamence: BL | Next: DROPS!!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the bulky spreads as well, although I haven't tested it recently. I find the orb set useful because you can hit hard as soon as the status kicks in. With the lefties set you have to boost once just so you can 2hko Florges with Megamiss. Since many people like to switch Florges into Hera (often thinking it is scarf I suppose) you can lure and kill the flower with a +2 facade, instead of dealing a 2hko after a SD. And once Florges is dead it can really pave the way for other threats to clean up. Since my team was having trouble with Florges cores I stuck with the Orb Facade set and haven't looked back since.

I thought thundy t got the boot and we were suspect testing houndoomite? I saw a thundy t this morning and houndoomite was still banned. Did i miss something?

I run that same Heracross set with enough speed to outspeed 8 ev base 100s and the rest in hp and flame orb. It basically gets 1 free kill and then gets revenged and your forced switch on low health. But they can be important free kills like Suicune and Slowbro, especially if the other team doesn't have something worthy of sacing.

Zapdos moving to OU means I cannot use my Abomasnow team anymore. Otherwise, the bans currently present, as well as OU managing to be decent for once, mean I can make a team from scratch.

I'm wondering if Shuckle's a good idea for a Pokemon, considering it has Stealth Rock, Sticky Web, insane defenses, a tolerable defensive typing of Rock/Bug, and can find suitable partners to take care of any weaknesses with ease (its best teammate's probably Slowbro). Anybody know any good alternate teammates?

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Shuckle also has no HP, no speed, and no offenses. Once you get rocks and webs, all it can do is doe and it takes an inconveniently long time to do that. It is complete taunt bait/setup fodder. Galvantula dropped and he is the best sticky webber so use him and an SR setter

Shuckle also has no HP, no speed, and no offenses. Once you get rocks and webs, all it can do is doe and it takes an inconveniently long time to do that. It is complete taunt bait/setup fodder. Galvantula dropped and he is the best sticky webber so use him and an SR setter
Shuckle has a few more options tbis gen that it did in the past. Knock off is a great utility move. Shuckle has the ability to run an infestation +toxic set. If youre nervous about taunt bait, then you could run mental herb for more HO teams.
As far as a stealth rock and sticky supporter, i believe that smeargle is the best thanks to access to spore and magic coat guaranteeing that something will happen.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I feel like Galvantula just kinda suffers from the fact that it can only set Sticky Web. The other 2 main users of the move can also set other entry hazards. Smeargle can basically use whatever entry hazard you need, including Sticky Web, while Shuckle can use Sturdy+Mental Herb to ensure that nothing can keep it from setting up Sticky Web as the only common Pokemon that has Mold Breaker is Mega Ampharos, who won't be OHKOing Shuckle any time soon. Granted, Galvantula does have decent offensive presence to deal damage, but its lack of access to Stealth Rock means that you're somewhat wasting a teamslot for or due to it since the other 2 common Sticky Web users can also run Rocks.

Ununhexium

is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Shuckle has a few more options tbis gen that it did in the past. Knock off is a great utility move. Shuckle has the ability to run an infestation +toxic set. If youre nervous about taunt bait, then you could run mental herb for more HO teams.
As far as a stealth rock and sticky supporter, i believe that smeargle is the best thanks to access to spore and magic coat guaranteeing that something will happen.
Shuckle already had knock off and iirc it was in its analysis last gen. Knock off isn't anything new, but only recently was it brought to light.

I completely forgot mental herb exists. So you can count my argument in my last post partially invalid

the thing i dislike about using knock off shuckle is that it's fucking weak and using knock off prevents a stronger pokemon from being able to benefit from the boost of knock off. also shuckle is kind of starved for moveslots between web, rocks, toxic, infestation, encore, maybe protect, and knock off, and other niche options like restalk.

imho shuckle was a lot better when it just had leavanny (ILLEGAL MOVESETS!!!) as its main competition (especially during the bisharp era), but now with other setters like smeargle and galvantula it just seems kind of overshadowed imo... i still think it's worthy enough in uu simply for the bulk, and infestation/encore at least means, it's not complete setup fodder.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 208 Spd / 112 HP / 188 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- U-turn

this nig right here tanks like everything ever and will never die. only drawback is that you don't have the great STAB + taunt that no item tornadus has, but it doesn't matter when you do cool stuff like:

Tornadus-Therian used Knock Off!
The opposing Galvantula lost 42% of its health!
Tornadus-Therian knocked off the opposing Galvantula's Focus Sash!

The opposing Galvantula used Thunder!
It's super effective! Tornadus-Therian lost 57.5% of its health!

as well as shutting down NP mega doom, double dance porygonz, NP mew, LO starmie, blah blah the list goes on and if you don't have a STAB SE move you won't get past torn. even LO nidoqueen gets knocked off and tornadus just u-turns out for a net loss of <10%. the no item set is great for stallbreaking, but if you want a real pivot that will never fucking die ever, try out this set. ESPECIALLY pair it with bell support, so you can knock off suicunes and mews and just not give a fuck as you get burned. best mon in the tier ATM.

Ununhexium

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 208 Spd / 112 HP / 188 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- U-turn

this nig right here tanks like everything ever and will never die. only drawback is that you don't have the great STAB + taunt that no item tornadus has, but it doesn't matter when you do cool stuff like:

Tornadus-Therian used Knock Off!
The opposing Galvantula lost 42% of its health!
Tornadus-Therian knocked off the opposing Galvantula's Focus Sash!

The opposing Galvantula used Thunder!
It's super effective! Tornadus-Therian lost 57.5% of its health!

as well as shutting down NP mega doom, double dance porygonz, NP mew, LO starmie, blah blah the list goes on and if you don't have a STAB SE move you won't get past torn. even LO nidoqueen gets knocked off and tornadus just u-turns out for a net loss of <10%. the no item set is great for stallbreaking, but if you want a real pivot that will never fucking die ever, try out this set. ESPECIALLY pair it with bell support, so you can knock off suicunes and mews and just not give a fuck as you get burned. best mon in the tier ATM.
You can always use a physical attacker like rhyperior with a STAB SE psysical attack

What are the Evs for the tornandus t set specifically for, ie what do you outrun with jolly 208, and does jolly with hurricane actually work? It seems counterproductive

Ernesto edit: 208 is for +Spe base 115s (Raikou, MegaDoom, Starmie, etc). The rest I can't comment because I haven't used Ass Vest due to not being able to run Taunt.

Ununhexium

Usually I run itemless torn-t with acrobatics knock off u-turn and taunt. acrobatics is a nice STAB move knock off has power and utility u-turn has utility as a momentum grabber and taunt is always cool

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Jvasss , I'm pretty sure the HP / SpDef EVs is to be able to switch in on Nidoking with freedom, Knock Off LO, and still avoid the 2HKO from Ice Beam / TBolt if the Torn-T switch is predicted. What I am curious about though is the use of Superpower. Why use it over something like Heat Wave as it lowers your Defense? (not major to an AV set, but still) Am I missing something outside of M-Houndoom, or is that just a change that was made when M-Houndoom was allowed back in UU (for the time being)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Also really skeptical on Jolly Hurricane Tornadus-T, which really hurts its revenge killing potential. And since Torn-T likes bulk, I would be hesitant in running defense-lowering natures. This is my biggest gripe with Tornadus-T: its best set is mixed, but can't afford to drop either defenses or offenses. I usually end up using Timid despite having Knock Off and U-turn, since those attacks aren't meant for killing stuff, Hurricane is. Going Timid would mean having to use Focus Blast over Superpower, which would weaken the Umbreon matchup, but at least Mega Aggron would be feeling that in the morning.

Also really skeptical on Jolly Hurricane Tornadus-T, which really hurts its revenge killing potential. And since Torn-T likes bulk, I would be hesitant in running defense-lowering natures. This is my biggest gripe with Tornadus-T: its best set is mixed, but can't afford to drop either defenses or offenses. I usually end up using Timid despite having Knock Off and U-turn, since those attacks aren't meant for killing stuff, Hurricane is. Going Timid would mean having to use Focus Blast over Superpower, which would weaken the Umbreon matchup, but at least Mega Aggron would be feeling that in the morning.
Depending on what you want to outspeed, a Hardy nature is always an option. It's the [usually overlooked] middle ground. Personally I would be using Hasty, Timid, or Jolly, depending on the move set (or you could run Scarf).

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Depending on what you want to outspeed, a Hardy nature is always an option. It's the [usually overlooked] middle ground. Personally I would be using Hasty, Timid, or Jolly, depending on the move set (or you could run Scarf).
Running a non speed-boosting nature means Torn-T fails to outspeed Starmie, Mega Houndoom (one of the aforementioned threats Bad Ass said it shut down in the first place), Mega Absol, Adamant Aerodactyl pre-Mega, Cobalion, Raikou, Durant, Galvantula, Froslass, Tornadus-I, Dugtrio, and Azelf. I think a small drop in Torn-T's utility attacks is worth outspeeding these threats.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
hurricane isn't the crux of the set. the point is to switch in on like every special attacker, knock something off, and then u-turn out for momentum. the moves are just ends to the means. superpower is great for porygonz and mega houndoom, and there's no other attack there. similarly with hurricane, i can't think of another move i'd like to run there, and it's actually decently useful against grass types, heracross, escavalier, fighters, etc. it revenges what it needs to, even with jolly. it's not the staple of the moveset, but it's a solid auxiliary move and i can't think of anything i'd rather use there.

I've been using this Kecleon set recently and it's been working out pretty well. Just looking for some feedback on it.

Kek (Kecleon) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Slide

grass knot is also a very considerable move on assault vest tornadus, as it beats hippowdon/swampert/rhyperior, potentially saving your team from eating sr. i still like itemless torna better though, due to the amount of times it switches into knock off fighters, acrobatics being an actually VERY hard hitting move, and the argument that pretty much nullifies these i mentioned: taunt.

also, has anyone already tried using stall teams on the meta? what would it look like?

also, has anyone already tried using stall teams on the meta? what would it look like?
Stall is very effective in this meta. I actually run full stall, which is very, very passive and have, surprisingly, still done well on the ladder with it. Semi-stall is also pretty frequent.

I'd say most stall teams run either Florges/Umbreon, Slowbro/M-Aggron, or Zygarde/Crocune, with the other slots varying quite a bit. These aren't the only things that are viable on stall -- by no means, I myself run Alomomola a lot -- but are the three main choices that players make when building a stall team. Of course, a lot of these cores are still broken easily by stuff like Nidoking :[

But really, the best way to get into stall is just to try out yourself. Although the lack of Chansey hurts, the tier is really balanced right now, and there are a lot of awesome Pokemon that are fully viable for stall.

grass knot is also a very considerable move on assault vest tornadus, as it beats hippowdon/swampert/rhyperior, potentially saving your team from eating sr. i still like itemless torna better though, due to the amount of times it switches into knock off fighters, acrobatics being an actually VERY hard hitting move, and the argument that pretty much nullifies these i mentioned: taunt.

I'm beginning with XY UU and I'm trying sand stall that I did with spikes + stallbreaker chandelure with a last mon Tornadus-T (or Mega-Aerodactyl) my team so far is:
Hippowdown / Spikes Roserade / Stallbreaker Chandelure / Bulky Starmie / Wish CM Florges and the last mentioned Tornadus-T or Mega-Aerodactyl, if Tornadus-T gets banned I'll use Mega-Aero always but Tornadus-T AV is just so good vs everything.

Stallbreaker Chande is pretty cool so I'm using Taunt/Shadow Ball/WoW/Pain Split so can dismantale a lot of another stall teams and beat a lot of win conditions such Curselax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)