Project NU Archetype Cores [Dragon / Fire / Flying]

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Week 3 Results

Congratulations to Oathkeepre for winning Week 3's Archetype Core contest with 6 votes! He will be added to the Hall of Fame. (again)
(still haven't updated from wk 2 so i'll go do them both)

The final vote count:
Oathkeepre :indeedee-f: :toxicroak: :togedemaru: 6

Corthius :indeedee-f: :throh: :ferroseed: 4
xerovis :malamar: :sawk: :klinklang: 3
jcbc :indeedee-f: :toxicroak: :pawniard: 1
iLiekMudkipz_ :mr. rime: :sawk: :ferroseed:

Here's a repost of Oathkeepre's core plus a description and importable. Give it a try on the ladder and drop your thoughts in the Metagame Discussion thread!
:indeedee-f: :toxicroak: :togedemaru:

Offensive-oriented core here. Went Specs Indeedee to increase that Psychic Terrain STAB damage and threw in the usual Gleam and Mystical Fire for Darks and Steels respectively. I threw in Trick to catch walls off guard of course. Went special Croak since it's really nice right now with all the Cofagrigus and Dubwool running around. Lastly, the core is rounded out with scarf Toge. It functions as 2 types of speed control with it being a scarfer itself and running Nuzzle to slow down the threats faster than Indeedee and Croak while also functioning as a pivot to bring either of them in!
Indeedee-F (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire
- Trick

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Shadow Ball

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Nuzzle

Week 4 will be posted very soon.

In addition, we have some amazing new art thanks to Datsplashtho! Check out this awesome new banner (which happens to feature Oath's core):

1586807837202.png

Expulso

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Week 4: Fairy, Water, YOUR CHOICE

This core is designed to support Fairy-types. Fairy types are weak to Steel and Poison and struggle to break through Fire types; Water types resist Steel and Fire, hitting Fire types super effectively.

You'll notice that there are only 2 types listed instead of 3. To encourage more submissions, I wanted to let you guys complete the core however you want!
You can use any Pokemon you want in the third slot.

To aid your team-building, I have put together a list of the ranked NU Pokemon for each type, although you are not limited to this list!
: :clefairy: :alcremie: :rapidash-galar: :mr. mime: :shiinotic:
: :lanturn: :quagsire: :silvally-water: :drednaw: :qwilfish: :arctovish: :wishiwashi: :ludicolo:
Check the NU Viability Rankings for more information about each of these Pokemon.

You can use whatever you want in the third slot, but here are a few suggestions for types that I think could complete this core well:

Grass types resist the Grass- and Electric-type attacks that Water types are weak to. Water types can take on the Fire types they are weak to, while Fairy types resist the Bug-type attacks often aimed at Grass types. However, they add an additional weakness to Poison-type attacks.

Ground types are immune to the Electric type attacks that Water-types are weak to and hit all the types Fairies struggle with (Poison, Steel, Fire) super effectively while also resisting Poison. However, they add an additional weakness to Grass.

Dragon types resist the Grass and Electric type attacks that Water types are weak to.

Dark types appreciate Fairy types' resistance to Fighting and Bug-type attacks.

Good luck! Check the rules in the OP before posting (although this week reuires you to use 2 types rather than 3).

Submit your cores by Saturday, April 18th at 8 PM GMT -4.

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
:ss/Rapidash-Galar::ss/Quagsire::ss/Skuntank:
Rapidash-Galar @ Life Orb
Ability: Pastel Veil
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Mystical Fire

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 216 HP / 124 SpD / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast

:Rapidash-Galar: This one is for you Therelya
Rapidash-Galar is a rarely seen sweeper that suffers from either being inconsistent (physical) or lacking power to sweep lategame (special). I wanted to give some love to this unicorn. I like consistency. Calm Mind three attacks was the way to go. Life Orb is my item of choice to boost the power of my attacks since they aren't that strong. Psychic and Dazzling Gleam are the main STAB-attacks. Mystical Fire allows you to hit steel-types that would wall your STABs. The combination of Fairy and Psychic has some great offensive synergy, allowing you to hit Poison- and Dark-types for super effective damage. Just keep in mind that Rapidash-Galar needs some help to break through the opposing team.

:Quagsire:
Next up we have my Water-type for the core; Quagsire. Quagsire helps to deal with those hard to break Steel-types that hinder Rapiash-Galar. It is also helps with Toxic to cripple other walls to make sure they don't live as long as they want. With Unaware it's a great way to deal with set-up sweepers like Cofagrigus, physical Toxicroak, Klinklang, Silvally-Forms, and many more. I think everyone knows what purpose Quagsire serves.

:Skuntank:
For the last member of my core I added Skuntank for it's ability to take on Grass-types for Quagsire and Ghost-types for Rapidash-Galar. Black Sludge over Life Orb helps to keep Skuntank healthy through out the match. I added some SpD to let it take on threats like Indeedee-F that can come in on Quagsire pretty easy and threaten the weaker special side on it. Nasty Plot + Fire Blast helps to chip down special walls and Steel-types on the opposing team to help Rapidash-Galar to sweep late game.

Thanks for reading. Stay healthy.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion

Silvally-Water @ Water Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Psychic Fangs
- U-turn

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Teleport
- Seismic Toss

Rotom-Frost @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Defog

These three mons are some of the best mons for a pivoting team to ask for. Volturn has the potential to bring in a ton of abusers like Abomasnow, Drampa, Indeedee-F, and Perrserker to name a few, and pivots are essential as these wallbreakers may lack switchins otherwise. To help, Watervally, Clef, and Rotom-Frost offer pivoting in three different forms.

Watervally is a beast in its own right with that high powered Multi Attack, but with U-Turn and Swords Dance you can also dent Grass-types. This helps as any check to SD can be in some serious trouble when bringing in a wallbreaker.

Clefairy with WishPort is somewhat passive but really helps getting the team back to full. Watervally may take a lot of damage due to its natural bulk and switching into hazards, and Wish can really help.

Rotom-Frost finishes the core off with a threatening boltbeam coverage and pivoting. It also helps that it removes hazards while crippling setters like Piloswine, Ferroseed, and Garbodor, if not KOing other setters like Sandaconda with Blizzard.

These three can support an offensive VoltTurn team really well while still providing good defensive utility thanks to their bulk, typings, immunities, and supportive movepools. Some vulnerabilities like lacking a Grass- or Poison-type resist can easily be covered by the wallbreakers you wanna pivot into anyways like Drampa, Perrserker, and Golurk.

expulso was asking for people to submit their cores on discord since there were only two submissions so i decided to grace the nu community with my brilliant core. i've been winning consistently in low ladder with this core so y'all know its good. here it is:

:sm/mawile: :sm/ludicolo::sm/liepard:

Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Super Fang
- Knock Off

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Liepard @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Encore
- U-turn
- Knock Off

if it wasn't obvious, this is a rain core focused on helping ludicolo break things. this core works best with additional rain sweepers or mons that really appreciate the power they get in rain. in particular, i've been enjoying playing scarf arctovish alongside this team as rain boosted fishious rend is pretty disgusting to use.

the idea for mawile is to serve as the glue for the core. its a nice switch in for physical threats with max investment in defense + intimidate, and appreciates the rain against fire attacks. its sets up rocks, and wears down walls with its super fang and knock off. it really helps ludicolo get in there to clean up.

then we have the mvp, ludicolo. after you've wore down the walls and checks, ludicolo can get in there and sweep with its rain boosted stab hydro pump and clear other water resist mons with its nice coverage moves. it can also set up its own rain in case liepard dies early or rain ends during the sweep.

finally, liepard is the main rain setter and chief goonie of the squad. it gets in there, messes with the opponents plans with encore, sets up rain and gets out with u-turn. liepard is surprisingly nice to use with its fast and strong stab knock off and priority status moves thanks to prankster.
in essence, its a offensive based based core, so there's alot of types this team doesn't cover. you may wanna consider rotom-fan as a check to fighting, ground, and flying mons. again this core works best with additional water sweepers.

i wouldn't this is a super strong core, but i would say its a nice change of pace from the normal balanced and BO teams out there. this is my first core in like 4 years. lemme know if i missed anything or peoples thoughts.

Expulso

Week 4 Results

Congratulations to Ho3nConfirm3d for winning Week 4's Archetype Core contest with 3 votes! He will be added to the Hall of Fame.

Ho3nConfirmed :clefairy: :silvally-water: :rotom-frost: 3
Jonater :mawile: :ludicolo: :liepard: 2
Corthius :rapidash-galar: :quagsire: :skuntank:

Here's a repost of Ho3n's core plus a description and importable.
Give it a try on the ladder, perhaps as part of the ongoing NU Ladder Tour!

:clefairy: :silvally-water: :rotom-frost:

These three mons are some of the best mons for a pivoting team to ask for. Volturn has the potential to bring in a ton of abusers like Abomasnow, Drampa, Indeedee-F, and Perrserker to name a few, and pivots are essential as these wallbreakers may lack switchins otherwise. To help, Watervally, Clef, and Rotom-Frost offer pivoting in three different forms.

Watervally is a beast in its own right with that high powered Multi Attack, but with U-Turn and Swords Dance you can also dent Grass-types. This helps as any check to SD can be in some serious trouble when bringing in a wallbreaker.

Clefairy with WishPort is somewhat passive but really helps getting the team back to full. Watervally may take a lot of damage due to its natural bulk and switching into hazards, and Wish can really help.

Rotom-Frost finishes the core off with a threatening boltbeam coverage and pivoting. It also helps that it removes hazards while crippling setters like Piloswine, Ferroseed, and Garbodor, if not KOing other setters like Sandaconda with Blizzard.

These three can support an offensive VoltTurn team really well while still providing good defensive utility thanks to their bulk, typings, immunities, and supportive movepools. Some vulnerabilities like lacking a Grass- or Poison-type resist can easily be covered by the wallbreakers you wanna pivot into anyways like Drampa, Perrserker, and Golurk.

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Psychic Fangs
- U-turn

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Teleport
- Seismic Toss

Rotom-Frost @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Defog

Week 5 will be posted very soon.

Expulso

Week 5: Fire, Water, Grass

This core is designed to support Fire-types, now that NU finally has more than just Silvally-Fire to choose from! The classic FWG core is finally possible [and not restricted to just Silvally-Fire]. With a new Fire-type, Rapidash, and a new Grass-type, Flapple, both entering the tier, I look forward to seeing all of your takes on this classic!

To aid your team-building, I have put together a list of viable Pokemon for each type, although you are not limited to this list.

:silvally-fire: :rapidash: :flareon: :vulpix:

:silvally-water: :wishiwashi-school::lanturn: :arctovish: :qwilfish: :quagsire: :drednaw: :ludicolo:

:abomasnow: :flapple: :gourgeist-small: :eldegoss: :ferroseed: :appletun: :leafeon: :maractus: :ivysaur: :trevenant: :ludicolo:

Good luck! Check the rules in the OP before posting.
Submit your cores by Thursday, May 14 at 11:59 PM EST, and voting will begin next Friday.

[now that my school has finished for the year i'll be more free, so this will actually go according to the times listed, haha. my apologies for the hiatus the past few weeks]

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
:ss/silvally-fire: :ss/wishiwashi-school: :ss/gourgeist:
Silvally-Fire @ Fire Memory
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Flame Charge
- Dragon Claw

Wishiwashi-School @ Leftovers
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect

Gourgeist-Small @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Power Whip
- Explosion
- Flamethrower
- Trick

There isn't necessarily a whole lot synergy between these three Pokemon; this core functions well more because the Pokemon all fit on bulky offense very nicely. Toxic + Protect Wishiwashi is really good at chipping away at Grass-types for Gourgeist-S, while Gourgeist-S can smack Water-types that trouble Silvally-Fire.

Last edited:

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
reserving rapidash, ludicolo, maractus
:ss/Rapidash: :ss/Ludicolo: :ss/Maractus:
Rapidash @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Horsepower
- Solar Blade
- Morning Sun

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Weather Ball
- Solar Beam
- Ice Beam

Maractus @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Weather Ball
- Solar Beam
- Growth

So the basis of this team requires Sun. Rapidash acts as the Physical Wallbreaker and can take down threats to the other two such as Unfezant due to its Flying advantage over the Grass Mons. It also helps deal with other Fire types with HHP. Ludicolo acts as a strong Mon that can also counter Rain teams because of its Swift Swim. Its moves allow it to be versatile and hit whatever comes its way. Maractus is there for more support as a wallbreaker as it deals a lot of damage.
Edit: Forgot the sprites and meant to say sets and not team

Last edited:

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion

Rapidash @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- High Horsepower

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- U-turn
- Psychic Fangs

Abomasnow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Leaf Storm

Here are some offensive picks that fill balance / HO roles of revenge killer, pivot, and wallbreaker. The bigger picture could be missing without hazards, speed control, and other offensive pivots, but these three help themselves out by revenge killing each other's sets, and can rely on natural bulk / immunities to find switch ins with each other. Alternatively, Flame Charge over U-turn and an Aurora Veil set over Choice Specs on Silvally-Water and Abomasnow, respectfully, could also work to solidify the core's HO presence.

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Reserving Rapidash - Qwilfish - Flapple

:ss/Qwilfish::ss/Rapidash::ss/Flapple:
Rapidash @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- High Horsepower
- Morning Sun

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Liquidation

Flapple @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Sucker Punch
- Grav Apple
- U-turn

:Flapple: Pls hit Sucker Punch
Flapple can hit really hard and punishes opposing missplays really hard (if you can hit lol). Outrage and Grav Apple are the STABs of choice. Sucker Punch is a strong priority and U-turn generates momentum for the team. You can also run a special move if you don't want to risk a safe kill.

:Rapidash:
Fire horse is a cool addition to the tier and blows some fresh wind into the meta. I really like Morning Sun and Heavy-Duty Boots for longevity. Flare Blitz can be really hard to switch into. The last slot can be HH or Wild Charge, both of which are viable. I just like the fact that Im not hard walled by Drampa.

:Qwilfish:
To push the damage of the other two core members, the puffer fish is used to set up your hazards in Spikes und Toxic Spikes. It can also switch into Rapid Spin to chip the spinner via Rocky Helmet. Thunder Wave is a cool way of fucking with mons that stay in on you, thinking you'll switch out. Liquidation can be replaced with Scald, running a Timid nature.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)