NU Discussion Thread (Mark II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
With an adamant nature and max attack, after a swords dance even Quick attack hurts a lot coming from Zangoose.

I also use sucker punch over night slash/shadow claw for Slaking for the higher base power and priority.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
I'm definitely going to try a team with the 'Big Three' Fire-types. It would need offensive momentum and a lot of skilful double-switching, since it probably wouldn't have room for Rapid Spin, but having walls that can do that (Gligar) might help.

I'd model it like Hipmonlee's "Fighting abuse" team he used in the battle (now in the WA) against -Cynthia. Have the main pokemon plow through resistances/walls by sheer power, and have a few others for type coverage.

Then again, he had 4 fighting types instead of 3, and they resisted SR. But then that's made up for by the fact that your pokemon are simply more powerful.

I'm definitely going to try a team with the 'Big Three' Fire-types. It would need offensive momentum and a lot of skilful double-switching, since it probably wouldn't have room for Rapid Spin, but having walls that can do that (Gligar) might help.
(Big Three being Magmortar, Charizard and Typhlosion, right?)

Already done that. Its amazing. Three or four on the ladder. Not many teams have the ability to take that many Fire Blasts over and over again, especially after Skuntank has Pursuited your Slowking to death.

Out of those three, Scarf Typhlosion is definitely the most broken thing that I have ever seen in my entire life. Eruption 2HKOs 90% of the tier, while outspeeding 95% of the metagame. Honestly the only common Pokemon that outspeed it are Rain Floatzel and Scarf Primeape. Charizard and Magmortar are still ridiculously powerful, mainly by virtue of their phenominal type coverage, but they don't really compare to Typhlosion, who doesn't really need type coverage with Eruption.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Having a triple threat fire team sounds appealing, though I would personally drop Charizard in favor of mixed Rapidash for the ability to kill Slowking with Megahorn and as a scout for Typhlosion and Magmortar. See what the opponent's main answer to fire types are and act accordingly. The analysis set lists Hypnosis in the last slot, but I ran WoW since it most of the time lured out some sort of physically-based Pokemon. Protect or Toxic (I do hate Stall teams that much, ok) are also a good bets. Make sure you have something to deal with common Cursers, and you're good to go.

Having a triple threat fire team sounds appealing, though I would personally drop Charizard in favor of mixed Rapidash for the ability to kill Slowking with Megahorn and as a scout for Typhlosion and Magmortar. See what the opponent's main answer to fire types are and act accordingly. The analysis set lists Hypnosis in the last slot, but I ran WoW since it most of the time lured out some sort of physically-based Pokemon. Protect or Toxic (I do hate Stall teams that much, ok) are also a good bets. Make sure you have something to deal with common Cursers, and you're good to go.
I've found that Slowking is really easy to deal with with just simple Slowking support. If you can force it out, before it can heal then you usually dont need to do anything else. Mixed Rapidash does sound cool though. Fire Blast/Megahorn/Hidden Power[Grass]/Will-o-Wisp?

I'm not sure how Cursers are problematic, since your other two sweepers are heavily, heavily special based. You've got your way of dealing with them right there. Especially since you can Will-o-Wisp the ones that are not named Miltank. What other Cursers are common, though, other than Quagsire? Those are the only two I've seen.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
You mean Skuntank support? ("Slowking with Slowking support")

Yes, it is indeed cool. It's an instance where the element of surprise is actually rather practical. In addition to OHKOing Slowking most of the time whether or not you predict the switch (speaking from personal experience using it, since most people eschew defense investment in favor of HP), you can also punch a decent hole into certain slower with HP Grass and can spread burn around. As I said before, it makes a decent scout to see how opponents respond to the first Fire type they see. You could also try Return in the last slot if you're paranoid of enemy Fire types, as an opposing Magmortar 2HKOs your own Maggy and Typhlosion with its STAB. Most of the Magmortars I've fought usually like to spam fire moves, so an immunity of your own is always welcome, and if you're really lucky you could get a free choiced Flash Fire boost from Fire Blast. Fire Fire and Oveheat are awesome, though sadly you're stuck with unreliable STAB.

Those are the only two, yes, but you'll need a spinner so you might not have the appropriate Pokemon on the field to prevent them from setting up and dealing with them accordingly. Since I'm guessing the Fire types are supposed to be late game Pokemon, and rocks might not always be off the field, and they could be worn down fast. Of course, that might just be my paranoia at having to check absurdly common threats be talking, so you could just ignore that lol.

The biggest problem I see regarding a core of Typlohsion, Magmortar, Charizard, and Rapidash is that Fire Blast is innaccurate. One miss against your opponent's Fire-type counter could cost you the game.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
The biggest problem I see regarding a core of Typlohsion, Magmortar, Charizard, and Rapidash is that Fire Blast is innaccurate. One miss against your opponent's Fire-type counter could cost you the game.
No one said that they'd run all four...

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Anybody running NP Raichu again? He was (decently) popular earlier on and I think that he's pretty tough in this metagame. I might use him alongside my favorites (who happen to be good in NU)

Typhlosion, Floatzel and Sandslash.

I've tried NP Raichu before, not quite as good as I'd hoped. 100 Base Speed kinda sucks in this tier...I mean yeah you're fast but you hit several notable speed ties, and there's still lots of stuff that outspeeds you, plus Scarfers....Raichu is just so frail, and he has no useful resists so getting outsped means he's dead. So really he can't completely sweep most teams, except of course for stall who he at least gives a lot of trouble.

I never tried it, but I bet Specs Raichu could be pretty fearsome, getting good coverage with T-Bolt/Grass Knot/Focus Blast/HP Ice. Of course, then you have to wonder if he's better just an inferior Manectric, who has that very important(or at least to me) extra 5 base Speed...Manectric's coverage is only slightly worse than Raichu's, and he gets Switcheroo to make up for it so....

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've tried NP Raichu before, not quite as good as I'd hoped. 100 Base Speed kinda sucks in this tier...I mean yeah you're fast but you hit several notable speed ties, and there's still lots of stuff that outspeeds you, plus Scarfers....Raichu is just so frail, and he has no useful resists so getting outsped means he's dead. So really he can't completely sweep most teams, except of course for stall who he at least gives a lot of trouble.

I never tried it, but I bet Specs Raichu could be pretty fearsome, getting good coverage with T-Bolt/Grass Knot/Focus Blast/HP Ice. Of course, then you have to wonder if he's better just an inferior Manectric, who has that very important(or at least to me) extra 5 base Speed...Manectric's coverage is only slightly worse than Raichu's, and he gets Switcheroo to make up for it so....
[I am on my wii]
I completely disagree. Raichu is faster than 80% of the metagame and ties with 7 pokemon, one of which neglects to run max speed.

With a Nasty plot and coverage, Raichu can really wreck NU.
Also, a lot of wgat you say can be appplied to other Pokemon.
Why did you mention Specschu then immediately mention Manectric?
[who IS a better specs user]

Seemed a bit pretentious...

flamethrower!

but you need a really good anti-lead/spinner, plus something to take water and ground hits (peliper? lol)

So the best fire type team would be Lead (One of the fires, maybe Scarflosion) - Charizard - Rapidash - Magmortar - Skuntank - Rapid Spinner? Seems solid.

In terms of taking Earthquakes, I think Meganium is quite underrated. It's quite a good cleric and eats Earthquakes quite well (and can recover with Synthesis). Problem is it gets walled by shitloads of Pokemon so you get forced out by quite a lot of things (assuming you're running Energy Ball for STAB).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)