NU Discussion Thread (Mark II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
About Lapras, my opinions:
Using Lapras for me, in order of preference:

1-LO Special attacker; i tested it (see last page). Cool one, 2HKO most water walls with LO Thunderbolt, Hydro Pump from Modest Lapras surprisingly hurts a lot. And the STAB Ice Beam is sexy. As long as you come in and not get outspeed and KOed of course.
2- Curse Lapras; get rid of bulky waters first.
3- Dragon Dancer; believe me, Whiscash is way better (for me Whiscash is the prime Dragon Dancer of NU).
4- Wall. Meh, despite it's HUGE defenses, higher than that of Vaporeon for example (i beleive Milotic too >_>).
5- Perish Trapper... to me it always sucks no matter what lol. Maybe Jynx can use it effectively once in a while.

So guys... i'm searching through the most obscure pokes to see if they have some kind of "saving grace", a nice set, or something like that.
We could d this kind of thing here: a "research" to find out some cool things...

Here's something i'm wondering about a poke i'm interested about:

Wailord. Made some calculations here and there, and found out that the whale is surprisingly VERY bulky despite it's laughable defenses.
And that it's SpA is a respectable 90.
Can this mean we could "adapt" the whale to be a bulky LO attacker (i'm in love with those: don't ask me why)?
Though that screams "outclassed" to me...

Also, taking a look on it's movepool i suppose that, once you get rid of Encore users, Curse Whale with Amnesia is nearly impossible to take out in theory.

So, what's the bulky water of choice?

Back in the early days of NU I used a resttalk Wailord with decent success. With Water Spout and Rest to keep its HP high, it can do decent damage to most things. Unfortunately it has almost no way to get past bulky waters and is pretty reliant on a little bit of luck with sleep talk.

Does anyone find Relicanth to be amazing? I've been using a Max Speed Adamant one as a lead and it rapes, it usually get 1 or 2 kills with it before it goes down.

So Dusclops is an effective Fighting resist in NU? Two important members of my team have Fighting as their sole weakness. Also, what would be more important in NU, a physical wall or special wall? Or would it be better to go mixed (for Porygon2 and Dusclops)?

Wailord's speed seems to be the only problem in my mind. However, I'd love to see a Life Orb version. Though honestly, Trick Room seems the best bet, and I'm sure there's an analysis of that.

Dusclops is only a good fighting resist until they switch to Flash Fire or Entei Poke when you Will-o-wisp. By all means, I love Dusknoir in OU, and I think he's very useful and underrated there, but Dusclops just can't do much against the opponent save Will-o-wisp.

Also, I'd like someone's thoughts on if a team were put together built around passing an Agility or Nasty Plot to Masquerain with Life Orb after SR is spun away? It seems to be a really underrated bug. Just look at it's movepool! All it needs is a bit more SpA and Speed.....

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Also, I'd like someone's thoughts on if a team were put together built around passing an Agility or Nasty Plot to Masquerain with Life Orb after SR is spun away? It seems to be a really underrated bug. Just look at it's movepool! All it needs is a bit more SpA and Speed.....
Too much effort. Different sweepers (Magmortar!) can rip up teams far more effectively at +2 / +2 without being so susceptible to Rocks.

magmortar still dont enjoy SR. i would rather BP +2 atack and speed to quick feet ursaring with a toxic orb, or i can put guts if i dont care about scarf primeape.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd rather BP +2/+2 to Octillery than Masquerain, tbh. Such sexy coverage!! This is not mention that you can't just Roar him out on the switch either.

Back in the early days of NU I used a resttalk Wailord with decent success. With Water Spout and Rest to keep its HP high, it can do decent damage to most things. Unfortunately it has almost no way to get past bulky waters and is pretty reliant on a little bit of luck with sleep talk.

Wailord was excellent last week when Entei was still allowed, since Entei couldn't get past 252 Def/ 4 Satk/ 252SDef Bold Wailord. And also, you probably only want to BP to Octillery at the end of chain. Otherwise Medicham/Magmortar are better recipients just about every time. Most phazers are simply OHKOed at +2

I used Specs Wailord to a decent sucess. I would make it's team mate megumiun as a cleric and have wailord replace one of it's moves with rest so it stays high and megumium would heal the rest later. It worked decently, since with specs wailord hits like a truck and it can actually be a formable wall.

On a side note who got banned for the suspect test? I heard entei and espeon did. I can understand them both except you can use entei on CAP without getting shouted at right? Since it lacks FB.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Project NU's Suspect Test has no jurisdiction over the CAP ladder, since it's not officially endorsed. You can still use Espeon and not get shouted at, lol.

Oh ehehehe *goes on wifi with espeon and entei*. So it means that NU is stuck with broken stuff since we can't rearrange the tiering :(

Oh ehehehe *goes on wifi with espeon and entei*. So it means that NU is stuck with broken stuff since we can't rearrange the tiering :(
Which makes zero sense. Are people too lazy to edit the tiering? I saw some people make up an excuse like "it's too late to change tiering". (it wasn't too late to have Umbreon be UU/OU/NU/OU etc, and it's a completely BS excuse to say "it's too late").

shrang

General Kenobi
Which makes zero sense. Are people too lazy to edit the tiering? I saw some people make up an excuse like "it's too late to change tiering". (it wasn't too late to have Umbreon be UU/OU/NU/OU etc, and it's a completely BS excuse to say "it's too late").
No, it's just Smogon don't have NU very high up on their priority list.

shrang

General Kenobi
It's not they don't have time to manage it, it's just that Project NU's Suspect Tests are not recognised by Smogon. If you want to play our slightly more balanced NU metagame (slightly more, lol), just play on PO. The standard of NU players on there are actually okay, at least better than their other ladders lol (I'm not sure about doubles).

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Wow, is this thread dead or something? Has the anti-smogon venting killed off all intelligent life?

Anyway, I've been doing some testing. My standard anti-bulky ground stuff is working really well this format - Dodrio and Tauros are both excellent, especially now they don't have powerful Extremespeeds running around to pick them off. Sharpedo is also fantastic and, while most of my teams are a bit fire-weak, teams featuring the likes of Typhlosion and/or Charizard are often 6-0d by Sharpedo so I only have to play around your Zard or whatever for long enough to get into a position to sweep you.

With Quagsire / Sandslash / Nidoqueen / Gastrodon absolutely everywhere - they're relied on to deal with so much stuff, particularly Fighting- and Electric-types - offensive Grass-types can be really, really scary.

Cacturne is very hard to stop after a Swords Dance - those powerful Sucker Punches rip holes in a lot of things, and fast resists are usually frail (eg Primeape). It helps to have a STAB which hits most of the tier's physical walls (predominantly Water- and/or Ground-type) hard. Entei and Espeon going makes it even easier for Cacturne to shine, too.

Exeggutor I'm going to miss if and when it goes up - it has bulk, hits so hard and if you can get it in your opponent is probably going to lose something. Its Psychic-typing lets it check the likes of Medicham, and Pursuit isn't too much of a problem either seeing as Skuntank is OHKOd by Specs Leaf Storm after Stealth Rock.

How would this fare as a lead in NU?
Relicanth @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
IVs: 29 HP (I play Wi-Fi, the great thing being I got a 29/31/29/x/24/31 Relicanth earlier that I might keep, any thoughts on that?)
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Head Smash
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Relicanth is a pretty solid lead boasting enormous power to simply bulldoze through their lead assuming it lacks a Grass attack (and if it does, be met with a nasty surprise), while having oppurtunities to set up Stealth Rock which always helps a team out. A Flying lead will not stay in against Relicanth, giving oppurtunity to set up Stealth Rock and then muscle through as much as he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)