Numel [QC: 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview
########

· Its niche was always its ability, Simple, exclusive to only it, Woobat, and….. Bidoof. This lets it set up very quickly and lets it wall or sweep easily

· Has competition in the form of Houndour, Growlithe, and Ponyta for offensive and defensive Fire types.

· Along with its rare neutrality to Rock for a Fire type comes a rare 4x Water weakness.

· Is slow without Flame Charge.

· Decent Attacking Stats, along with good bulk with Eviolite.

· Its access to Stockpile, Growth, Howl, and Flame Charge lets it abuse Simple to its fullest.

· Doesn’t have many resistances to abuse.

· Works well with sun teams due to the increased STAB and +4 Growth or sand teams that need an answer to Grass types.

Sun Sweeper (Mixed)
########
name: Sun Sweeper (Mixed)
move 1: Flame Charge
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Fire Blast/HP Electric
move 4: Growth
ability: Simple
item: Berry Juice
evs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 156 SpA / 76 Spe
nature: Naughty

Moves
========

· This set is arguably one of Numel’s best sets, destroying everything in the sun with +4 offenses and boosted Fire Blast.

· Growth + Flame Charge are the centers of the set, easily plowing down offensive teams and defensive teams alike.

· Fire Blast and Earthquake are the chosen STABs, hitting both specially defensive walls and physically defensive walls, such as Munchlax and Chinchou, who have a decent chance against this set.

· HP Electric is an option over Fire Blast to hit Mantyke, the only counter to this set.

Set Details
========

· The given EVs give Numel 16 Attack, 15 Defense, and 11 Speed, 32, 30, and 22 respectfully when a +2 boost is added. Naughty is chosen as the nature as mixed Numel does not care about defensive drops and cannot drop either offensive stat.

· Life Orb is to murder everything. Not even Mantyke can take a LO boosted +4 Fire Blast, unless it is a defensive set.

Usage Tips
========

· Flame Charge should be used against offensive teams, as it will outspeed everything that is not scarfed.

· Growth should be used against defensive teams, as it will be able to kill most defensive threats at +2 (+4 in sun), and its speed is good enough to outrun defensive pokemon.

· Getting both a Growth and a Flame Charge is usually a guaranteed win, but is a hard task to do, so usually focus on getting one or the other.

Team Options
========

· Sun is the huge partner for Numel, making Fire Blast a nuke along with a +4 Growth!

· That’s it. This Numel doesn’t require much support.

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Stockpile
move 2: Lava Plume
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Eviolite
evs: 196 Def / 76 SAtk / 236 SDef
nature: Bold

Moves
========

· Stockpile lets Numel to get to +2 Def and SpDef, which lets it wall Electric types, Steel types, and Grass types such as Magnemite, Elekid, Pawniard, and Foongus.

· Lava Plume lets it deal decent damage and also lets it burn physical attackers, which, along with Stockpile, lets it wall almost every physical attacker in the metagame.

· RestTalk is it’s only form of recovery, but is required in order for it to wall without getting wearied down

Set Details
========

An EV spread of 196 Def / 76 SAtk / 236 SDef, with a Bold nature gives it bulk of (including Eviolite) 22/21/21, and after a Stockpile, it increases to 22/42/42, which is quite impressive, with the addition of making Lava Plume somewhat stronger.

Usage Tips
========

· Switch it into something it can effectively wall, such as Magnemite.

· Set up Stockpile and wall what you can.

· Lava Plume completely shuts down any Physical attacker not named Guts Timburr.

· ResTalk lets it recover and possibly burn and set up more Stockpiles.

· ResTalk also lets Numel be a decent Status absorber, should you need one.

Team Options
========

· Chinchou is the perfect teammate for Numel, being able to kill Waters and Grounds and wish pass to Numel should it be low on health.

· Tentacool is also a good teammate, with the ability to wall Waters and set up T-Spikes, which makes Numel’s stalling job much easier to do.

· Vulpix, although compounding the Ground weakness, weakens Numel’s huge water weakness, letting it wall Waters much easier with Stockpile.

Bulky Physical Sweeper
########
name: Bulky Physical Sweeper
move 1: Stockpile
move 2: Flame Charge
move 3: Howl/Rock Slide/Growth
move 4: Earthquake/Rock Slide
evs:
nature:

Moves
========

· Stockpile lets Numel completely wall things that do not have SE attacks, and after a few boost, even things that do.

· Flame Charge is a damage dealing Agility, and with Howl can actually do good damage.

· Howl is a Swords Dance and lets Numel hypercharge Flame Charge and Earthquake. With Stockpiles, Numel has the ability to get multiple Howls.

· Earthquake is second STAB, hitting Chinchou, Fire types, Rock types, and Dratini for good damage.

· Rock Slide lets Numel hurt Archen and Mantyke. If replaced with Howl, Numel has much less sweeping capabilities. If replaced with Earthquake, Numel lacks a hard hitting STAB.

· If only Numel learned Baton Pass ._.

Set Details
========

· I don’t know how to LC EV, so I need help with that.

· Berry Juice is the item of choice, since with Stockpile, Numel is bulky enough to ditch Eviolite and is much less of a wall if holding LO. Berry Juice also gives Numel the recovery it needs to wall.

Usage Tips
========

· Bring it in on something it walls.

· Set up Stockpile on switch

· Set up Flame Charge on weakened teams that Numel can clean up

· Howl if power is needed.

· Sweep

Team Options
========

· Like always, Chinchou is a good teammate, especially for Wish support, and the ability to kill Waters.

· Stealth Rock setters are appreciated as always.

· Mienfoo for the above reasons.

· Sun helps Numel have a much stronger Flame Charge, but is not at all required.

Sun Sweeper (Mixed)
########
move 3: Fire Blast
nature: Naughty

Moves
========

Other Options
########

· AncientPower can be used for fun, getting +2 in all stats is just insane.

· Flamethrower is consistent, but as much as possible is needed on Numel.

· Toxic, Yawn, and Will-O-Wisp is mostly outclassed by Lava Plume on the wall set, but each one has its use.

· Swallow and Spit Up can be viable, considering how much Numel uses Stockpile, but leaves Numel defenseless when each are used.

· Growth can be used on the Bulky Physical Set, but is sadly illegal with Stockpile.

· Curse and Amnesia can be used but are 100% outclassed by Stockpile.

· Numel gets Stealth Rock, but is extremely outclassed in the role and has a hard time fitting into any of his sets.

Checks & Counters
########

· Waters such as Mantyke, Chinchou, and Staryu can take a Fire Blast, outspeed if Flame Charge hasn’t been used, and OHKO’s with STAB, except if Numel has gotten multiple Stockpiles (then it will 2hko).

· Grounds such as Drilbur, Hippo, and Sandshrew will hit Numel hard (except with Stockpiles). However, only Hippo even stands a chance of taking any hit.

· Knock Off gets rid of Numel’s item, removing a lot of its bulk in the wall set, a lot of its power in the Special set, and its recovery in the Bulky Physical set.

My first analysis ever is finally done. I hope I did well .3.

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi Shaymin :D!

This looks like it's ready for QC, but you need to change the title to "Quality Control" so that we know for sure it's ready for that stage. To do this, look at the top of this thread on the right side of the page, and look for something called Thread Tools. From there, go to Edit Title and change the tag from "WIP" to "Quality Control" and then add [QC 0/3] to the end of the written title. You'll need to update the title as you get QC checks as well. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! :)

Goddess Briyella
All I need is help for the EV's for both defensive sets (I'm not good at LC EV's .3.), then it will be ready for QC to look at
Vivmeister10
Wow, it does? I'll make sure to mention it

The only Numel set I've had ample success with is actually a mixed Sun set:

Sun Sweeper (Mixed)
########
nature: Adamant (I actually use a neutral nature....)

You simply send it on any Pokemon who doesn't have a super effective attack and then use Growth / Flame Charge depending on switch in, if you need the power (like a weakened Slowpoke / Timburr switch in) or the Speed (vs Gligar and Misdreavus) it can be devastating if your opponent guesses wrong.

The only Numel set I've had ample success with is actually a mixed Sun set:

Sun Sweeper (Mixed)
########
nature: Adamant (I actually use a neutral nature....)

You simply send it on any Pokemon who doesn't have a super effective attack and then use Growth / Flame Charge depending on switch in, if you need the power (like a weakened Slowpoke / Timburr switch in) or the Speed (vs Gligar and Misdreavus) it can be devastating if your opponent guesses wrong.
It looks good, but without HP Electric, you are completely walled by Archen and Mantyke, which both can OHKO back

That's an option over Fire Blast I guess, but Archen is actually OHKOed by even a negative natured Fire Blast after SR.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
For the defensive set, I recommend an EV spread of 196 Def / 76 SAtk / 236 SDef, with a Bold nature. This gives it bulk of (including Eviolite) 22/21/21, and after a Stockpile, it increases to 22/42/42, which is quite impressive.

The reasoning for the exact EVs is to give it even-numbered defensive stats before Eviolite, to prevent rounding down when Eviolite is factored in. 76 SAtk increases the power of Lava Plume, obviously.

I also recommend mentioning Vulpix as a teammate for that set, because, although some weaknesses, such as Ground, are compounded, Vulpix provides Sun to mitigate Vulpix's Water weakness.

Shaymin :D wow we posted at the exact same time :o

+2 156- SpA Numel Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Archen: 13-16 (59 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

._. It only has a chance to OHKO if your Growth is in the sun, and that's assuming you Growth on the switch. Unless Archen is in Defeatist, it will OHKO with EQ. With no Growth, Numel doesn't even come close to OHKOing. Yet again, Growth Fire Blast brings Archen brings it to Defeatist range, which is always good.

Thanks Expulso, I'll put that in
Yeah, I was finishing the Archen vs Numel post, then the instant I click the post, the alert comes up about you posting. The irony .3.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
+2 196 Atk Numel Flame Charge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Archen in Sun: 8-9 (36.3 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 156 SpA Numel Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 132 SpD Eviolite Archen in Sun: 15-18 (68.1 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

180 Atk Defeatist Archen Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 36 Def Numel: 14-18 (60.8 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Archen can't come in on a +2 Flame Charge without being 2HKO'd.

Why isn't Heysup's set in the analysis? It's by far the best Numel set.

edit: also wasn't Numel reserved by Electrolyte first? Your reservation wasn't even approved by Ray Jay.

Last edited:
Updated, but is there any particular reason why Berry Juice is used over Life Orb, as Non-Defensive Numel cant take hits outside of priority. So, I will put Life Orb instead, which lets it do scary things with the Sun boosted Growth...

+4 156 SpA Numel Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Mantyke in Sun: 12-15 (57.1 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+4 156 SpA Life Orb Numel Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Mantyke in Sun: 16-19 (76.1 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

(At the time I didn't see Electro's reserve, so I finished the skeleton. Then, when I saw it, I didn't know what to do, so I kept the thread up and waited until Electro's Skeleton was done. I saw it for a second today, but then, I guessed he deleted it. Also, Ray Jay hasn't even approved my reservation of Cacnea ._.)

Also, it's obvious that the special sweeper is 100% outclassed by Mixed Sweeper, so I just got rid of Special and gave Mixed the first slot.

Last edited:

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you aren't approved to write an analysis, then don't. (This points at Cacnea as well; i don't know why you kept going even after you realized you weren't supposed to.) The reason why I deleted my skeleton was because I actually didn't have much done then anyway and I wanted to clarify with the forum mods to make sure that me reservation wasn't actually taken away and I just hadn't been notified yet.

Apparently, that wasn't the case, and the reservation (as well as the analysis, huh) are still mine. Also, the analysis still isn't exactly yours because you didn't get approval to write this. While I'm not going to ask you to drop your analysis right now, I would still like Ray Jay's plan on the matter before anybody does anything else about this so the problem isn't intensified before it's solved.

Of course, I would still like the job back, but if it's too difficult to fix the situation, I'm fine with letting you write it, provided quality is still kept. I have quite a few comments about your analysis that you have to fix if it is decided that you may keep the analysis; I'm not going to tell you now, however, because there would be no point if I were to get it back anyway.

So yeah, waiting on Ray Jay's decision.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I'm going to lock this for now. Shaymin :D, please pm me and I can help you learn our process for writing analyses more as it seems there may be some things you misunderstood, and then we can go from there and decide if we want to unlock this or give it to electrolyte, who actually did reserve it. So yeah, pm me when you get a chance!

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Shaymin :D, after seeing your other work and since Electrolyte decided not to finish this, I've decided to unlock this thread and confer Numel back to you. Good work, just keep in mind that you need to get approval on reservations before posting. :)

Hey, a quick point. I'd say that chinchou isn't the best teammate as he can't switch in on ground, same with tentacool. Instead I'd suggest mantyke or wingull, they switch in on ground type moves with an immunity, and similarly numel switches in on their 4x electric weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)