Tournament NUPL X - Week 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader

NUPL X Info Hub
NUPL X Spreadsheet

Week 2
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/ani/vileplume.gif
vs
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/ani/talonflame.gif

MF PLOOMS (5) vs (3) Tailor-made Talonflames
SS: zS vs OnArceus
SS: Test Techles vs GoldCat
SS: gum vs Elias PSY
SM: mncmt vs Clementine
ORAS: Spl4sh vs Shaneghoul
BW: Togkey vs Bughouse
DPP: Beraldinho vs Heysup
ADV: Raichy vs Triangles

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/ani/frogadier.gif
vs
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/ani/heliolisk.gif

The Freedom Frogadiers (2) vs (6) The Holy Heliolisk
SS: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs Kushalos
SS: GW vs OranBerryBlissey10
SS: Davon vs turtledoggo1
SM: EternalSnowman vs etern
ORAS: quziel vs gorex
BW: Links vs Annoyer
DPP: Drud vs HSOWA
ADV: JabbaTheGriffin vs Plas

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/ani/cacturne.gif
vs
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/ani/musharna.gif

Catacomb Cacturnes (4) vs (4) The Moneymaker Musharnas
SS: Shiba vs GXE
SS: roxiee vs pdt
SS: Danny vs Confide
SM: EviGaro vs Luthier
ORAS: The Goomy vs Kiyo
BW: Bouff vs Shuckleking87
DPP: Ara vs vivalospride
ADV: ArcticBreeze vs Jisoo

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/ani/vivillon.gif
vs
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/ani/machamp.gif

Vibrant Vivillons (3) vs (5) The Malding Machamps
SS: xavgb vs Star
SS: Sage vs Xiri
SS: Sabella vs TJ
USUM: lax vs robjr
ORAS: crying vs Chaitanya
BW: shiloh vs ninjadog
DPP: Staxi vs tlenit
ADV: Rabia vs ziloXX
MF PLOOMS (0) vs (0) Tailor-made Talonflames

The Freedom Frogadiers (0) vs (0) The Holy Heliolisk

Catacomb Cacturnes vs The Moneymaker Musharnas

Vibrant Vivillons vs The Malding Machamps

The deadline will be 10PM GMT-4 on Sunday, May 22nd. Please contact your opponents ASAP!

Last edited:
MF PLOOMS (0) vs (0) Tailor-made Talonflames

The Freedom Frogadiers (0) vs (0) The Holy Heliolisk

GW

I may be warrior
is a Tiering Contributor
MF PLOOMS (2) vs (1) Tailor-made Talonflames
SS: zS vs OnArceus - This is a huge highlight match of probably the entire tour. Both players are coming hot off of well played wins and have impressive recent results in the tier, OnArc in SCL and zS winning NU SSNL and being a great player. I believe that zS is second to none when it comes to pulling the trigger on big turns, and OnArceus may have a tough time bringing an unconventional defensive core balance and strolling up for an easy win. Could for sure go either way though.

SS: Test Techles vs GoldCat - Lilo had a tough loss round 1 where his Toxicroak had an amazing matchup and unfortunately got unlucky rolls vs a protect Dragalgae. I think he will take this loss and be very motivated to have a cleaner week 2 performance, so going with him here.

SS: gum vs Elias PSY - Elias has a lot of experience in this tier and had an impressive week 1 win with a surprise Specs Talonflame winning him the game. It will probably be a very close game, especially with zS support, but Elias will most likely have a ton of tricks up his sleeve and can pilot teams very well.

Catacomb Cacturnes(2) vs (1)The Moneymaker Musharnas
SS: Shiba vs GXE - I watched the GXE match live and what he brought was very good and unpredictable with the uncommon but effective Silvally Dark bring here. If GXE can keep it up with the exciting lures and Unexpected brings, he will probably perform fine here. This is Shiba's first SS NU match I will ever see so hard to expect a ton from him here on paper.

SS: roxiee vs pdt - happened

SS: Danny vs Confide - Danny always has good teams on deck, half of the teams used in this tournament were probably built by him somehow tbh. Confide is also an excellent player and this could go either way, but Danny will get disappointed with his last week Tech not quite working out despite a win and will bring something even more enticing vs a player that he knows can be dangerous. As long as he does not fat finger the wrong button as a mobile player, he can win this one :D

Vibrant Vivillons(0) vs (3)The Malding Machamps
SS: xavgb vs Star - Stresh did troll a bit last week since his team was already out of the competition and I think that Star is just one of the best players on this site and is doing great in the NU Open. He will need some very high quality test games to go well to be on his A game here and its hard to see Star losing many games outside of getting very unlucky in this tournament.

SS: Sage vs Xiri - Xiri always does very well in the NU tournaments he plays and won NU Circuit for a reason. His teams may seem a little predictable, but he always finds a way to barely pull out a win in most of his matches and is very capable of piloting a good team to perfection this week.

SS: Sabella vs TJ - Even though I won against TJ last week, he can make some very wild plays with some of the most threatening teams to break balance such as sub Dragalgae. Sabella does make some nice reactionary plays to limit what the opponent can do to break early on, although I think that TJ's aggression and volatile playstyle may actually work out this week in his favor.

Last edited:

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
MF PLOOMS vs Tailor-made Talonflames
SS: zS vs OnArceus This is a coinflip because these two have impressed me the most since coming back with their consistency and success in the circuit / scl respectively. Gut feeling says OnArceus takes it by a hair, but if anyone's gonna take him down in this tour it's zS. Expecting a high quality match here.
SS: Test Techles vs GoldCat Both are starting off 0-1 but GoldCat played a better and steadier match last week, so I'm going with him.
SS: gum vs Elias PSY Haven't seen gum play NU before and I think Elias is gonna bring something weird that 6-0s.
SM: mncmt vs Clementine Assuming he plays, mncmt should win this and finish near the top of the records by the end of NUPL.
ORAS: Spl4sh vs Shaneghoul The Plooms v Heliolisks ORAS game last week was a horror show and poorly played on both sides. Shane should take this without too much hassle as long as he brings Lum Gurdurr.
BW: Togkey vs Bughouse Togkey dominated BW for me in NU Snake and I think he's gonna continue that run in NUPL.

SS: Shiba vs GXE Haven't seen Shiba play NU since Rabia was a pokemon online mainer and GXE played a solid match last week.
SS: Danny vs Confide Danny is playing well and has a knack for putting together safe, reliable teams that get good matchups against whoever he's facing.
SM: EviGaro vs Luthier I think Luthier is the dark horse in the SM NU pool this tour. Expecting him to bring a standard team that allows him to win via outplay w minimal bad matchups.
ORAS: The Goomy vs Kiyo Predicting against Kiyo in any pre SM gen is a meme. I once witnessed him force out a fully healthy Golurk with Stone Edge Hitmonchan, nobody else in this tour can boast that level of outplay. Worst case scenario he'll just paraflinch his way out of a bad spot anyway, NID.
BW: Bouff vs Shuckleking87 Interested in watching this and seeing what these two bring, edge to Bouff but I think Shuckleking will start to pick up some wins soon.

SS: xavgb vs Star Not much to say here, Star is arguably the best player in the tournament.
SS: Sage vs Xiri Both won their matches last week but I think Sage will bring a better team and win.
SS: Sabella vs TJ Sabella is tough to beat in SS NU when he's on the ball, going with him here after a good victory last week.
USUM: lax vs robjr Rough start but it's early days and I'm still expecting lax to have a good run in this tour.
BW: shiloh vs ninjadog Normally I'd bold ninja bc he's really good at BW lower tiers, and Joo has been dead for longer than some of the SS starters have been on Smogon, but I think Rabia will make sure shiloh puts some effort in this week to get a much needed win here for the team.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Minor predicts given one game's already played, and I'm playing the other.

ORAS: Spl4sh vs Shaneghoul:
Shane's getting back into it after a long time away, but is a very creative builder overall, a very proven player, and has a ton of history with the ORAS NU meta. I can't discount Spl4sh pulling off a win, but overall I'm fairly confident in Shane's odds here.

Generally confident in Kiyo's odds here; Goomy's shown a lot of stall/webs in the past, and I have no doubt that Kiyo will prep explicitly for the more matchup fishy teams. In a straight up fight I'm generally gonna favor Kiyo, though that could be personal bias cause I know him from like ORAS days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)