NWOBHM

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys, at the moment I am obsessed with the musical genre NWOBHM (New wave of British heavy metal). I love obscure bands (well, not relative to NWOBHM but in terms of the big picture) such as Angel Witch and Praying Mantis, in addition to those who went onto be more famous such as Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. Just wondering if anyone likes it as well? As well as that, does anyone know some good artists similar to the ones I stated?
Here are some fantastic songs which exemplify the genre:
Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Children of The Earth - Praying Mantis
Killers - Iron Maiden
Phantom of The Opera - Iron Maiden
You've got another thing comin' - Judas Priest
Shoot out the Lights - Diamond Head
Riding with the Angels - Samson
My Number - Girl
Hard Ride - Raven
Witchfinder General - Witchfinder General
And the Bands Played On - Saxon

Tons of great Judas Priest songs to pick from and you pick the almost-pop song that's on the radio stations every day?

Do yourself a favor and whenever you find a new band you like, listen to every song they ever made, in chronological order. Youtube and Spotify are usually good for that and wikipedia helps.

Tons of great Judas Priest songs to pick from and you pick the almost-pop song that's on the radio stations every day?

Do yourself a favor and whenever you find a new band you like, listen to every song they ever made, in chronological order. Youtube and Spotify are usually good for that and wikipedia helps.
To be fair to him, most of Judas Priest's great material predates their NWOBHM phase (indeed, the band is pretty crucial to inspiring the genre). For all the great things that can be said about JP, they were slaves to trend hopping, always diverting their musical progression to whatever was the latest "in" metal genre. But yeah, I would say 3-5 Priest albums (Killing Machine, British Steel, and Point of Entry for sure, debatable for Screaming for Vengeance and especially debatable for Defenders of the Faith) could actually be classified as NWOBHM.

shnen

שוני
And you didn't even mention Diamond Head.... :(
Actually I love them, it's just I didn't think of them at the time :P I might add them in to the OP.
Oh, and @your other post, yes they were quite fickle with their genre, like their badly received electronic album, Ram it Down.

Actually, that's exactly what I did, listening to all their songs on spotify, but that is the only proper early song by them that I like, and you can't say songs such as Breaking the Law are any better (in terms of poppiness and radio airplay etc)

I love NWOBHM. If you haven't yet, watch Spinal Tap, it's a great parody of the genre. Def Leppard - Rock of Ages is probably my favourite NWOBHM song of all time, and it's in my top 10 songs that I love of all time. (Ignore the cheesy video, it was the 80s, that shit was cool!)

Diamond Head, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest (they are basically NWOBHM, guys), Rainbow, and Motorhead are all good bands I'd recommend. There're probably some other ones I'm forgetting, but it's late, I'm tired and there.

shnen

שוני

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)