Pokémon Obstagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader

Base Stats: 93 HP | 90 Atk | 101 Def | 60 SpA | 81 SpD | 95 Spe (520 BST)
Abilities: Reckless | Guts | Defiant (Hidden Ability)

[Notable Moves]
- Brick Break
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Double Edge
- Facade
- Fire Punch
- Gunk shot
- Hone Claws
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Obstruct
- Parting Shot
- Seed Bomb
- Stomping Tantrum
- Thunder Punch
- X-Scissor
- Body Press
- Counter
- Dig
- Iron Tail

Level Up Moves:
- [00] Night Slash
- [01] Night Slash
- [01] Switcheroo
- [01] Pin Missile
- [01] Baby-Doll Eyes
- [01] Tackle
- [01] Leer
- [01] Sand Attack
- [01] Lick
- [09] Snarl
- [12] Headbutt
- [15] Hone Claws
- [18] Fury Swipes
- [23] Rest
- [28] Take Down
- [33] Scary Face
- [38] Counter
- [43] Taunt
- [48] Double-Edge

TMs:
- [TM07] Pin Missile
- [TM08] Hyper Beam
- [TM09] Giga Impact
- [TM14] Thunder Wave
- [TM15] Dig
- [TM16] Screech
- [TM21] Rest
- [TM23] Thief
- [TM24] Snore
- [TM25] Protect
- [TM26] Scary Face
- [TM27] Icy Wind
- [TM31] Attract
- [TM33] Rain Dance
- [TM34] Sunny Day
- [TM36] Whirlpool
- [TM39] Facade
- [TM40] Swift
- [TM41] Helping Hand
- [TM47] Fake Tears
- [TM53] Mud Shot
- [TM57] Payback
- [TM58] Assurance
- [TM59] Fling
- [TM65] Shadow Claw
- [TM76] Round
- [TM79] Retaliate
- [TM85] Snarl
- [TM98] Stomping Tantrum

TRs:
- [TR01] Body Slam
- [TR04] Surf
- [TR05] Ice Beam
- [TR06] Blizzard
- [TR08] Thunderbolt
- [TR09] Thunder
- [TR20] Substitute
- [TR26] Endure
- [TR27] Sleep Talk
- [TR31] Iron Tail
- [TR33] Shadow Ball
- [TR37] Taunt
- [TR38] Trick
- [TR42] Hyper Voice
- [TR59] Seed Bomb
- [TR73] Gunk Shot
- [TR77] Grass Knot
- [TR85] Work Up
- [TR95] Throat Chop
- [TR99] Body Press

Egg Moves:
- Parting Shot
- Quick Guard
- Knock Off

[New Moves]
Obstruct

16 PP
- Accuracy (the effect is used on itself so it never misses)
It is a Protect move that also lowers the defense of the opposing Pokemon by two stages when hit with a contact move.

Body Press
(Contact Move)
80 BP
100% Accuracy
16 PP
This move is like Foul Play, but you use your own defense stat in the damage calculation.

[Pros]
- All of its abilities are great for offensive pokemon. In particular Guts + Flame Orb + Facade with setup moves such as Bulk Up seems really scary against slower Pokemon.
- Although its Speed and Attack are not great they are pretty decent after a boost is threatening.
- It has a lot of different coverage options, allowing it to tech many different matchups such as Togekiss with Max Steelspike thanks to Iron Tail. Here is a list of types where it gets access to decent physical attacks: Normal, Fire, Electric, Grass, Ice, Fighting, Poison, Ground, Bug, Ghost, Dark, and Steel.
- It has decent natural bulk allowing it to tank a good chunk of moves that are not powered up by Dynamax.

[Cons]
- It does not get access to Belly Drum and Extreme Speed like everyone was hoping for since non-Galarian Linoone receives them.
- It does not have a great attack or speed stat, meaning it does not hit very hard before it has set up and is outspeed by a good chunk of the metagame.
- It is 4x weak to Fighting, which is common offensive coverage especially since Max Knuckle is very popular.

[Dynamaxing Potential]
- Has tons of cool coverage to abuse in Dynamax, Close Combat under Dynamax can boost its attack, Double Edge/Facade under Dynamax can lower the foes Speed by one stage, and it can raise its Defense and Special Defense stat with Max Steelspike and Max Quake respectively.
- Gains a considerable amount of bulk and has a decent enough Speed to be threatening Dynamaxed, however, other offensive teammates such as Pokemon look better choices for using Dynamax.

[Potential Movesets]

Obstagoon @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Close Combat / Low Kick

Obstagoon @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Parting Shot

The first set is probably the better of its sets, being able to set up in front of defensive Pokemon and do a ton with Facade + Guts boosted attacks. Knock Off is good Dark-type coverage, and Close Combat/Low Kick can be used in the last slot. It can be abused while Dynamax with Max Knuckle to give Obstagoon a free boost to its Attack. The second set just tries to take advantage of Reckless with Double Edge but it is not as good as the Guts Flame Orb set, nothing much to explain there. Parting Shot seemed interesting as a method of picking up momentum for the team.

All this thing needed was some form of priority, be it Extremespeed or Sucker Punch, to be really good. As it is, I think it’s a pretty decent hole puncher that will have a niche in OU for potentially being able to hurt certain defensive cores, but nothing insane. I’m still happy that it looks to be viable, though; it’s one of my favorite designs of the gen.

Side note, though this is more of an anecdote: though I’m somewhat sad that it didn’t get priority or Belly Drum, Obstagoon does not infringe on the niche of Hoennian Linoone as a result, and I think that’s pretty cool, so I’ll give Game Freak props for keeping both halves of the family tree relevant with their own distinct gameplay niches despite the fact that the Galarian half has an entire extra evolution in its line.

Dunno if this idea is OU-viable, especially with Dynamax obliterating more mid-range mons, but what do people think about a fast support set (Guts, max HP+Speed Jolly) with Parting Shot, Knock Off, Taunt, and CC/Brick Break/Filler? Absorb status, spam Knock Off, Taunt plenty of stuff (base 95 speed is quite fast, especially for National Dex), nail something with CC/break Screens, and gain momentum with Parting Shot.

EDIT: Flame Orb + Trick in the last slot is actually pretty nice too.

Last edited:
It's still early in the meta, but I think the potential for the Fast Bulky Support is there. Hitting 317 speed is really nice, since you outspeed Jolly Drill/Gyarados/Kommo-o and can taunt them to stop them from setting up while living anything barring Fighting-moves. Then, Parting Shot out or Knock Off or Trick a Flame Orb. Watch out for Hatterne though, since they bounce Parting Shot and get the initiative on you then. Same with Corviknight that runs Mirror Armor, which IMO is actually a pretty neat tech since it negates the Defense/SpDef drops of Max moves too.

Also, pretty sure Obstruct is bugged (well it was last night anyways). It should function like Protect/King's Shield in that Max moves have to bust through it and you take reduced damage, but it doesn't work like that on Showdown. Which I found out the hard way.

I theory crafted a doubles, support Obstagoon:

Doubles 1 Bulk (Obstagoon) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Knock Off
- Obstruct
- Substitute/Snarl
- Thunder Wave/Icy Wind

I feel like this could honestly work out well, Obstruct is such a good move

Is it confirmed that Obstruct blocks status moves too? I ask because it's similar to King's Shield and King's Shield doesn't block status moves.

It does not block status, unfortunately, but if you're running some kind of Guts set with a flame orb or something that could be used to make up for that. Although I feel like a max power set wouldn't involve Obstruct

It does not block status, unfortunately, but if you're running some kind of Guts set with a flame orb or something that could be used to make up for that. Although I feel like a max power set wouldn't involve Obstruct
Even if it doesnt block status, timing that and then forcing a switch or hitting super hard with a facade after would be fantatsic.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet: Obstagoon could be really good on Sticky Webs! 95 Speed is enough to make good use of the drop on the opposing side, and a Flame Orb Guts set hits disgustingly hard with Facade, not to mention being one of the few remaining carriers of STAB Knock Off and having semi-safe Orb activation in Obstruct (the secondary effect of which synergises really well with the wallbreaking nature of the set).

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet: Obstagoon could be really good on Sticky Webs! 95 Speed is enough to make good use of the drop on the opposing side, and a Flame Orb Guts set hits disgustingly hard with Facade, not to mention being one of the few remaining carriers of STAB Knock Off and having semi-safe Orb activation in Obstruct (the secondary effect of which synergises really well with the wallbreaking nature of the set).
Starting off with a sticky web user, then switching in Obstagoon after a faint could bode really well for Obstagoon. Get a pokemon with roar/whirlwind just for fun

Would Defiant be relevant at all for Obstagoon on Webs teams, or is it better off smashing stuff with Guts-boosted attacks?
I'd stick with Guts. Goon's Attack isn't particularly high, so unless it gets hit with a Defog, it won't be dealing much damage. It also has to use Double-Edge instead of Facade, which gives recoil on top of having a lower base power. If you want a Defiant mon to punish Defog, I'd stick with Bisharp, Braviary, or Passimian, who are much less reliant on a Defiant boost thanks to their high base Attack stats.

Guts is also great for letting Obstagoon be a status absorber, which is invaluable on pretty much any team, especially with Heal Bell not being a thing anymore IIRC (or at least reduced distribution).

I’m breeding some Adamant Obstagoons right now—is Jolly going to be objectively better for outspeeding relative threats?

So what's gonna be the best Sticky Web support for this big lug? Ribombee and Orbeetle both act as decent checks to the Fighting-types that threaten Goon so much, but they've both got their downsides--Rib the speed to guarantee a web set before it faints but its bulk is so low that it's almost certainly going down in one hit, while Orbeetle has better defenses and staying power thanks to Recover, Calm Mind, Iron Defense, etc. but its lower speed tier and attacking stats mean that it can be outsped or used as setup fodder for stuff that isn't afraid of it.

So what's gonna be the best Sticky Web support for this big lug? Ribombee and Orbeetle both act as decent checks to the Fighting-types that threaten Goon so much, but they've both got their downsides--Rib the speed to guarantee a web set before it faints but its bulk is so low that it's almost certainly going down in one hit, while Orbeetle has better defenses and staying power thanks to Recover, Calm Mind, Iron Defense, etc. but its lower speed tier and attacking stats mean that it can be outsped or used as setup fodder for stuff that isn't afraid of it.
Orbeetle can U-Turn out though, and also has access to Hypnosis. Recover/Webs/U-Turn/Hypnosis is the set to go for in that case IMO.

Orbeetle can U-Turn out though, and also has access to Hypnosis. Recover/Webs/U-Turn/Hypnosis is the set to go for in that case IMO.
Ooh, true. So a good set might look something like:

Orbeetle @ Leftovers/Focus Sash/Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Impish
-Sticky Web
-U-Turn
-Recover
-Hypnosis

What would make a good third for this core? Something like Bulk Up Corvoknight or Regenerator Toxapex that doesn't mind switching into Fairy- or Fighting-types?

Obstagoon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch
- Trick
- Close Combat

This is a set I’ve been using to some success. So when I made this set I wanted something to abuse Defog while also being a Gengar / Aegislash switch-in. Scarf is cool alongside dynamax because when dynamax is over you can outspeed pretty much everything relevant in the tier, at worst you speed tie with Darmanitan. You can get attack raises with max knuckle, stall out a turn with max guard if you need to, then outspeed when you’re in regular form and potentially sweep with knock off. I like thunder punch to punish croviknight that Defog on you because most of the time they think they can just roost off the knock off damage. Also, trick is just a good option for crippling things like mandibuzz.

What about Vikavolt? Bulkier than ribombee and more powerful than obeetle ever could be. 145 Sp.A is nothing to sneeze at from any poke, so you could mix up webs with a powerful attack or volt switch into your goon partner.

Hi!!! I use a offensive support set in my voltun team...
Ubstagoon (Obstagoon) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Parting Shot
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
His like alolan persian from last gen.. Gusts lets absorve status and switch in WOW or toxic to get a boost of attack.. he dont do many dmg without haivng burned..
Taunt stop hazzard, status
Parting shot give momentun and also reduced atk and spa to make a partner go in safely.

Only is slower to mew lead making a good leads vs many of the meta right now

What would make a good third for this core? Something like Bulk Up Corvoknight or Regenerator Toxapex that doesn't mind switching into Fairy- or Fighting-types?
Aegislash deals pretty well with Fairy and Fighting types. If you're running a Sticky Web team, then it could be something like this:

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat

Aegislash deals pretty well with Fairy and Fighting types. If you're running a Sticky Web team, then it could be something like this:

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
Hmm... I’ve already got a trained Aegislash in Ultra Moon with this setup:

EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp. Atk
Brave Nature
-Shadow Sneak
-King’s Shield
-Flash Cannon
-Sacred Sword

Would that setup still work once I’m able to import it into Shield, or should I start over from scratch to try for a purely physical set?

Hmm... I’ve already got a trained Aegislash in Ultra Moon with this setup:

EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp. Atk
Brave Nature
-Shadow Sneak
-King’s Shield
-Flash Cannon
-Sacred Sword

Would that setup still work once I’m able to import it into Shield, or should I start over from scratch to try for a purely physical set?
You can import the set, but doesn't really work as a physical set in my opinion. Iron Head is more usable than Flash Cannon and Sacred Sword is a bit situational now that Aegislash gets Close Combat. Also, Brave nature doesn't work on a Sticky Webs team. Adamant/Jolly are better natures (maybe with speed EVs instead of HP).

I can't take credit for creating this set, but I've been using it to good success:

Obstagoon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Trick
- Parting Shot

Basically you're either the fastest attacker on the field, or you're playing a major support role. Trick choice scarf shuts down corsola HARD, also basically any other status spamming mons. If ur in a tight spot just choice scarf parting shot out of there, lower their stats then switch to a better mon. When you feel comfortable to attack, attack, and you'll usually be the first one to do so. After you've tricked away ur choice scarf, you are now free to be a relatively slow yet threatening pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)