Official NBA '17-18 Season Thread

Woj and Shelburne posted an article like 2-3 days ago saying we were looking ahead to 2019 free agency, now all of a sudden, PG says he's happy in OKC but family comes first when it comes to free agency, AND we create a ton of cap room this summer.

Pelinka did some wonders this trade deadline. Two expiring deals and the Cavs 2018 first rounder for Clarkson and Nance (who we weren't gonna re-sign anyway), clearing up the necessary room for two max players this year and next? We can have up to $69m in space if we let Randle walk and stretch Deng, that's huge. The pick is top-3 protected so unless this Cavs season gets even worse and they manage to hit the jackpot again, we'll be keeping that pick (currently projected 25th). Trading Nance essentially means we're looking at Kuzma as our PF of the future.

Only one first round pick was traded today, and we got it. With all the other deals the Cavs were making, they could've easily shipped it elsewhere had we not struck early. Good stuff from Magic and Pelinka thus far, from saying no to the Kings (DeMarcus/Ingram), to DLo and Mozgov to the Nets, and now clearing up all that space. Also gotta give credit to LeGM for helping us clear cap room I guess, he's bringing PG with him confirmed.

Ingram at point guard is working so well. Being the primary ballhandler hasn't affected his shot at all, going 7-11 including 3-4 from 3 en route to 19 points. Dare I say our free throw woes are behind us, too.

Oh, and crazy to think that Paul George has played his last regular season game ever against the Lakers.

Holy fuck you Lakers fans are some kind of deluded

Enjoy watching us in the playoffs with your asses firmly planted on your couches
Its honestly quite sad how ecstatic some Lakers fans are just because they aren't last anymore.
The Lakers have been bad for too long, I was starting to miss how frustrated they made fans of every other team in the league.

I like the trade and I feel it'll work out. Fuck LeBron though, please keep his ass away from LA.

The Lakers have been bad for too long, I was starting to miss how frustrated they made fans of every other team in the league.

I like the trade and I feel it'll work out. Fuck LeBron though, please keep his ass away from LA.
4-5 seasons is literally nothing compared with other teams lol.

bb skarm

GET THE FUCK OFF MY FIELD!!!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
^ Yeah... also don't forget the Lakers have one of the best histories of any NBA team so we can't really act like they 'owe' the fans anything, and they seem to be trending upwards anyways. 4-5 years is definitely longer than you want but isn't bad when compared to other teams.

Just for reference, the Atlanta hawks from 1998-2007 had nine consecutive losing seasons. And that's the most recent stretch, our coaching is fine though and our roster is definitely not as bad as people want it to be so I don't think we'll have a fat ass stretch like that either

Cavs on a tear since the trade deadline, and IT looked nice in his Lakers debut. I'm convinced Ainge sent IT to Cleveland to sabotage them, but then we helped the Cavs out by sending them the best SG LeBron has ever played with (Team USA excluded). Also love that Clarkson and Nance are wearing 8 and 24 respectively. Shoutouts to both of them for beating down OKC to show PG that even with him, OKC wouldn't make it past the Cavs, his only solution is to come to LA.

I was trying to figure out why Clarkson changed his jersey number. Didn't realize nance did as well. That's a cool tribute. Both of them played with Kobe though, especially his last game which was really fun to watch
Nance's dad called the Cavs to tell them to give Jr his old number 22 (which is retired), but Jr chose not to take it and went with 24 instead. Apparently Sr will try to convince his son to wear number 22 this summer lol.

EDIT: Losing Nance has really hurt our defense the past two games. Also, refs were soft to give out all those technicals to Rondo, IT, and Luke.

Last edited:
With Porzingis injured my Knicks essentially get to tank for 2 years. Its what they need to do.

The Lakers did well for themselves considering their goal, but they are playing a dangerous game here. They are essentially losing Nantz, Clarkson, and Randle just to have a shot at LeBron and George. On top of that they helped Cleveland get a lot better. They get pick 29 to savr face, but you have to wonder wbat happens if they strike out or if thats worth it to only get George.

Cleveland did great and what's scary is that they still have the BK pick and could use that to get even better if LeBron decides to stay there and commits in a market where Blake Griffin went for a 1 and a 2.

The big picture this deadline is that teams that are not competitive should stop buying out players before the postseason eligibility deadline. All the contenders are looking to the buyout market now instead of moving picks.

They are essentially losing Nantz, Clarkson, and Randle just to have a shot at LeBron and George. On top of that they helped Cleveland get a lot better. They get pick 29 to savr face, but you have to wonder wbat happens if they strike out or if thats worth it to only get George.
Three things:
1. We were always going to have to lose Clarkson to clear room for Paul George, that's been the plan for a long time, and Nance has also been on the trading block for a while because he was the necessary sacrifice for a team to take on Clarkson's deal.
2. We aren't losing Randle yet. We can still match any offer sheet he signs (though it could complicate things if he signs an offer sheet the moment he's able to and PG takes a while to make his decision).
3. Getting that first rounder is more than "saving face". Notice how only one first rounder was traded on deadline day, and we got it. Teams are really reluctant to trade first rounders in the current NBA because they're valuable in rebuilding. With our recent draft record (Nance, Clarkson, Kuzma, Hart, to a lesser extent Zubac and Bryant), we could possibly find another player whose floor is an elite role player with that pick. Maybe that pick can be used in a future trade as well to grab someone else.

I'm fully on board with only getting PG and re-signing Randle (maybe he takes the QO to get a bigger pay day next summer) and rolling over some cap room to next summer. Lonzo should be back this week, and if we can remain competitive enough to finish 10th place in the West, it's not hard to convince PG that we'll be playoff-bound next season with or without him. And with him, who knows, second round if we're lucky and Lonzo/Ingram/Kuzma/Randle continue to develop?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)