Official NBA 2012-13 Season Thread

I think the real question is "are Rockets last year's Lakers", and the answer to me is a hopefully obvious and not mud in my face no. Rockets have Harden, Howard, a workable pg in Lin, and a huge load of young guys to keep the energy up...and they can flip Asik for almost whatever the fuck they want as long as someone needs a center badly, and how bad a bet is it that someone will want that center role filled badly enough? Asik is all in on D, all out on O...someone can make that work in the league.
Apparently they're keeping both... Which is a bad idea, imo. They should try trading Asik for Ryan Anderson and Jeremy Lin I don't see them being able to move with that contract. Dallas made more sense to me for Dwight if he wanted to win because a Dwight/Dirk tandem would be nigh-impossible to stop and he'd be paired with a pass-first point guard in Calderon. Don't really see the point in leaving to another team with a ball-dominant SG who actually cares about his numbers with a coach that used fewer post-ups than D'Antoni. Dwight isn't even gifted in the post. He was at his best in Orlando's PNR. He's no Pau
Gasol, that's for sure. Ryan Anderson seems like their best bet besides the off chance that Cuban grants Dirk mercy and trades him.

They've been pretty insufferable since the past year, not looking forward to them this time around. People thought bandwagon Lakers fans pre-2012-13 were bad...I mean, they were, but you know what I mean.

Dude. I have a friend who has been a "lifelong" Clipper fan since last year and she's the most obnoxious person in the world about it. I mean, the last time that Lakers won a championship was three years ago and she was using the "Stop using the past, we're the future LOB CITY LOB CITY LOB LOB CITY" argument. Nothing made me happier than watching the Clippers have their best season ever and have it end in a first round exit.

I don't get NBA fans sometimes. We all talk shit about Dwight, Carmelo, Durant, and previously Lebron about not winning but why does CP3 get a pass? He's never even been past the second round. Perception is that Cp3 is a winner, a top-5 player in the NBA yet he's 28 now and if that was Lebron or Carmelo we'd kill them for that. He's a great player, don't get me wrong. A bit overrated though imo.

CP3 keeps getting a pass from me for the same reasons KG did. Dominance is not always reflected in postseason wins. Blake Griffin is not getting a pass from me though, as I hold him responsible for both series losses honestly. The second one he was injured for so whatever.

Harden is not the same as Kobe dude. While Kobe had some good stretches this season and his best season in a while, the formula was clearly wrong. Harden is a shot creator & NOT selfish, and this season he was better than his statistics say on the surface. Keeping Asik to the playoffs would be a weird ass decision, and I am not betting on it - I think midseason trade for whatever they need THEN is the best idea, there is no need to decide now! Figure out what will buff your team up to a title level and chase it, especially if it is clear Howard+Harden is working out at that point.

I mean fuck the biggest problem for the Rockets this season was that obviously Harden cannot get it done every night, so if Howard actually goes back to his past form, if your team formula is "Howard OR Harden needs to be killing it" then you have a pretty simple, pretty solid game plan.

I am not looking to get sucked into the hype, I did last year with Lakers and there is no point taking it too seriously. I think thinking about it & trying to learn from what did go wrong last year, the positional redundancy was a big problem. So I really really really think a midseason trade is coming unless Rockets are somehow sitting there at 70%+ not giving a crap.

2013-2014 HOUSTON ROCKETS

NBA CHAMPIONS

JAMES HARDEN MVP + FINALS MVP

DWIGHT HOWARD DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

CHANDLER PARSONS SIXTH MAN OF THE YEAR

I DONT EVEN CARE BRING IT ON NOOBS
Chandler Parsons will not be coming off the bench, so no sixth man of the year award for him. I don't think you understand the principle of the sixth man of the year award. I can see the Rockets making a deep playoff push later in their years, but not this season. An example would be the Lakers, those players need time to develop chemistry and gain trust. Also, Harden is a very talented guard, but everyone gets cold streaks. If Howard does not return to his Orlando days, Harden will have the same burden he had this season and have to carry the Rockets again, which was not an impossible roll for him, but a very challenging one where he answered well. With Asik and Howard defending the rim, and Parsons/Harden developing together the Rockets could be scary. I do not like Lin, never did thought the hype over him was unnecessary. If they could trade him maybe for a better point guard this team could develop into a very dominant team, and become a championship contender for seasons to come. Please don't troll post anymore, it's rather annoying to an avid NBA fan who actually knows about sports in general.

Also, I could see the Heat making a claim for Kendrick Perkins, as they do not need an offensively dominant center and need someone who plays hard defense and grabs boards. With Perkins getting the start, and Birdman coming off the bench it would give the Heat the spark they need at the Center position. Maybe even vice versa, though Birdman becomes more of an asset off the bench if you ask me. I do not seeing the Clippers making a deep playoff push unless someone besides Chris Paul steps up in the playoffs, and the Clippers trade one of their big men. I know Blake and DeAndre are still young, but those two are not formulating a winning post, just a very athletic and versatile post. Perkins could even be an asset to the Clippers giving them a tough-nose body at the Center position to go along with the Highlight Reel, Blake Griffin himself. Also Blake needs to step up this season and prove his dominance with his actions in the post, not his actions in the fast break. I would like to see Blake being in the top 10 in PPG in the lane, and also becoming a better post defender. All he really has on his game right now is a dunk package, while he could become a very versatile defender being able to defend 3 positions, and possibly a shot blocker.

Chandler Parsons will not be coming off the bench, so no sixth man of the year award for him. I don't think you understand the principle of the sixth man of the year award.
LOOK OUT GUYS WE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE

I don't think you understand the concept of when posts are made. When that post was made there were many rumors that the Rockets were gonna be able to sign Josh Smith, and I was operating under the assumption that we'd have a starting line-up of something like Lin/Harden/Smith/Asik/Howard, meaning Chandler Parsons would come off the bench.

So in other words: shut the fuck up.

Please don't troll post! It is very hard for a serious fan who already forgot that the Celtics worked RIGHT away without any chemistry issues to deal with the fact that other people can get hyped up about their probably loaded teams forming and competing for titles!!!

(technically it took the Heat like...14 games to get chemistry I guess, they had it mostly figured out by that point)

hell the only problem Lakers had with "chemistry" was due to poor coaching and an initially more banged up Howard

LOOK OUT GUYS WE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE

I don't think you understand the concept of when posts are made. When that post was made there were many rumors that the Rockets were gonna be able to sign Josh Smith, and I was operating under the assumption that we'd have a starting line-up of something like Lin/Harden/Smith/Asik/Howard, meaning Chandler Parsons would come off the bench.

So in other words: shut the fuck up.
Josh Smith would probably end up playing at the Power Forward position to give more versatility and a more athletic line-up. With Asik coming off the bench, like a similar style in Orlando with Gortat, where the Rockets would have a rim defender on the court at all times. But in other ways, your line up could of ended up happening in that sign and trade, but they wouldn't be able to keep Lin/Asik/Parsons to get Smith. The Hawks wouldn't just go for draft picks and scrubs for him, and with Lin and Asiks contracts it would be difficult, if at all, for the Rockets to be able to maintain Smith's contract and still be able to win over free agents in coming years. So I won't take your advice but thanks for the try. :)

Please don't troll post! It is very hard for a serious fan who already forgot that the Celtics worked RIGHT away without any chemistry issues to deal with the fact that other people can get hyped up about their probably loaded teams forming and competing for titles!!!

(technically it took the Heat like...14 games to get chemistry I guess, they had it mostly figured out by that point)

hell the only problem Lakers had with "chemistry" was due to poor coaching and an initially more banged up Howard
14 games, mhm. Let's do a little recap: 2011 NBA Finals 4-2 Dallas Mavericks over the Miami Heat. The Heat fell apart due to LeBron taking on a single handed roll due to chemistry issues that were OBVIOUSLY APPARENT to anyone who watched the Heat that season. LeBron and Wade did not know how to play on the court with each other, and Spoelstra could not formulate a lineup that could function properly in the NBA Finals. I forgot chemistry takes 14 games to formulate, whoops. The Celtics Big 3 all had different roles, and none of them were in their prime. They were all compliments of each other. Allen was the cutter and would find open spots for 3's. Garnett was the anchor of the defense and would find his shots through posting up, jumpshots and rebounds, and didn't need the ball in his hands every possession like Allen too, and the offense was ran through Pierce. The Heat Bosh, Wade and LeBron were all used to having the offense ran through them and all needed the ball in their hands every possession same with Dwight, Lin and Harden, and Gasol, Nash, Bryant and Howard.The Lakers had a lot more chemistry issues then just poor coaching and "initially more banged up Howard". Try Kobe trying to do too much, Nash never seeing the court and lack of role players stepping up. There seems to be bigger team problems than just D'antoni.

Let's do a little recap: they made a finals in the first fucking season they played together, but sit here preening yourself a little harder

Even better, you completely misunderstood my post to a hilarious extent, but still decided to rant in reply? The Celtics won a championship the first year that team was thrown together. They started out 29-4, if that team was younger it probably could have pushed for a 12-14 loss season. They were older dudes though, so instead they took it easy and strolled through a playoffs instead (they were challenged ONCE and it was not in the finals). Then they lost a finals in the last 6 minutes of a game 7 they controlled all game just 2 finals. But no way can teams just get their act together right away!

You said that the guy was troll posting for being excited, even as you ignored the context of his original post, and then told him to go fuck himself up when he explained the context in your follow up post here. But much worse, you said that because the Lakers fell apart ___ must be true, cuz' chemistry and shit!!! while ignoring that two different teams threw themselves together and instantly started winning in the last 6 years and praising yourself for how much you know about sports. You were only correct overall, which is that your knowledge about sports is just general.

Hey guys, did you hear that one about how making the finals and losing the first year your team was thrown together is somehow a LACK of chemistry (or in any way a failure)? Phewww so glad my teams do not have these chemistry problems, being a Rockets fan this season is DEFINITELY going to suck, they might make a finals and lose! Hey remember that one time in the last 15 years they made it past the first round?

Let's do a little recap: they made a finals in the first fucking season they played together, but sit here preening yourself a little harder

Even better, you completely misunderstood my post to a hilarious extent, but still decided to rant in reply? The Celtics won a championship the first year that team was thrown together. They started out 29-4, if that team was younger it probably could have pushed for a 12-14 loss season. They were older dudes though, so instead they took it easy and strolled through a playoffs instead (they were challenged ONCE and it was not in the finals). Then they lost a finals in the last 6 minutes of a game 7 they controlled all game just 2 finals. But no way can teams just get their act together right away!
Yes I misread it but edited my post to appropriate content. Also the Celtics played 26 games that post season, having to play two game 7's in their first two rounds and went to game 6 in their next too. They were certainly challenged as they could not even win a road game that entire post season from what it seems. It appears it takes 16 games to complete sweep the Playoffs, and the Celtics took an extra 10 games to do it because of lack of ability to close on the road, but then again the Hawks, or the Cavs led by LeBron were not a challenge for the C's, but both took them to 7 games. Good logic there. The Heat also went 9-8 their first 17 games together, but wait it takes 14 games to build chemistry. How does that math add up?

You said that the guy was troll posting for being excited, even as you ignored the context of his original post, and then told him to go fuck himself up when he explained the context in your follow up post here. But much worse, you said that because the Lakers fell apart ___ must be true, cuz' chemistry and shit!!! while ignoring that two different teams threw themselves together and instantly started winning in the last 6 years and praising yourself for how much you know about sports. You were only correct overall, which is that your knowledge about sports is just general.
Please put the quote of me telling him to go fuck himself. I have searched the thread and found no luck, maybe your screen might have the magical touch. I did not ignore his original post, actually because that was the one I based it off. I read the message I quoted first and that's where I made my response off of. The teams that threw themselves together and just won obviously had better flow and a lot better players on the bench then the teams that we are talking about right now, i.e. Lakers and Rockets. The Celtics had a deep bench in 2008 that lead them into the championship and later winning the title. The Celtics had good chemistry too on that bench, where they could throw various lineups out against opponents and still be effective. The Lakers this year had no bench and the Rockets are shaping up to have a little chance of a bench at most. The Celtics were 9-10 men deep in their roster in the 2008 year, where the Rockets will probably run a 7-8 man rotation and the Lakers virtually ran a 5 man rotation. I obviously know more about you because your points are very skeptical and one sided. If you looked at perspective from various points and resulted your counterarguments into points and not insults then it actually compliment your intelligence. It's sad because you probably are just going off memory and making this up on the spot because you really don't know what you are talking about. You can also only manage two teams that have done that well in the past 6 years building themselves up, while the Knicks, Nets, Lakers and all have tried doing the same thing, and have found little success obviously showing that it's not that easy to build a team off of pen and paper and have them automatically be effective. It's very hard to judge the future off of pen and paper judgement, because the players have to build an amount of trust and knowledge of each other's game in order to strive together which ultimately is defined by chemistry. But chemistry isn't what won all of those team championships, because you know LeBron never won a title without a team that had chemistry and Kobe never won a title without a team that had chemistry and Bill Russell never won a championship with a team that had chemistry. You can't make deep playoff pushes if you don't have chemistry. That's the whole point I don't think your brain can understand, or can understand but your naive personality won't accept or grasp. Chemistry builds championship runs. The 2011 finals were lost because the chemistry the Heat had was lost, don't you remember all the rumors of the Heat crying in the locker room during the regular season or how everyone in the finals lost who they were. It was because the team couldn't function as a whole, while the Mav's had that team building for a couple years and when it came down for time to preform everyone knew their role and did their job.

Hey guys, did you hear that one about how making the finals and losing the first year your team was thrown together is somehow a LACK of chemistry (or in any way a failure)? Phewww so glad my teams do not have these chemistry problems, being a Rockets fan this season is DEFINITELY going to suck, they might make a finals and lose! Hey remember that one time in the last 15 years they made it past the first round?
Once again putting words in my mouth. I never said making it to the finals your first year built and not winning was a disappointment but without proper chemistry a deep playoff run in the NBA is almost impossible. Your counter arguments are more rage then they are common sense as you are putting words in my mouth to make my points sound less valid, but in fact have more factual proof then all of the points you've given me. So until you can find better logic then "what I think" then your points still seem to be perceptional and bias in your own opinion. Please provide better examples of your points then "well he said" or "hey guys I forgot that..." because it just makes you seem like you are begging because you ran out of arguments for your side. I don't care if you continue to ridicule my first post, but at least get some better points then the one's you have been giving because from what it seems your points aren't even completely valid and are a stretch from what actually happened.

Just some more tidbit.

Boston Celtics lineup in 2008:
Starters:
- Paul Pierce
- Kevin Garnett
- Kendrick Perkins
- Ray Allen
- Rajon Rondo
Bench:
- James Posey
- Eddie House
- Tony Allen
- Leon Powe
- Sam Cassell
- PJ Brown
- Glen Davis

I remember all of those players contributing to the team in 2008, and if I counted correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong since you keep trying to do that anyway), but I believe I counted 12. That's 12 players that the Celtics had on their bench to help them on that run. Those players all flowed beautifully together and had a very strong chemistry with each other. Garnett and Allen were two key additions that accepted a lesser role then the one they had on their previous teams and ended up champions. Garnett did not try to become the primary scoring option by demanding the ball every play and Allen did not need to touch the ball every possession for their offense to function. James Posey could play the 3 or the 4 depending on what they needed, Eddie House came in and would get hot and go off from 3, Tony Allen and Leon Powe provided great defense off the bench while Glen provided another big body and took charges in the paint. Cassell and PJ played more of a support role as Cassell helped coach the team more then played, but through the playoffs Cassell helped out Rondo. But you know the chemistry on that team wasn't apparently there. Or wait, chemistry isn't a factor in basketball. So thank you CaptKirby for proving I am not an "average mind" when it comes to the NBA, but more of a very knowledgeable and intellectual NBA mind.

Also to give you a little bit more, I believe you said they were not challenged in the playofffs, besides Game 6 the average margin of victory in the first fives games was 6.6 points. That would not be counting that some of those points were probably earned late in the game at the line for some clucth foul shots. So that would leave it to a 1-2 possession game if you take out those gimme points. But a one to two possession game isn't being challenged if I remember right CaptKirby? Oh wait, I believe those are close contested matches. Whoops.. And two game 7's wasn't being challenged either, and playing 10 games more then they could of isn't be challenged either, and not being able to win on the road isn't a challenge either. Man those Celtics really dominated the playoffs according to you.

I would say the Heat made that first finals on more or less immense talent rather than chemistry. You can't really use that team as in example, it is a rather large outlier. They signed two of the top five players in the league at the peak of their talents, both all time greats. One of which had already won a title, and the other being the most talented man in his sport, capable of playing nearly any spot on the floor. They beat teams on talent alone for a majority of that season. They ran an iso heavy game much different than the spacing heavy cut centric small ball they run now. It took them over a year of practice, film, and roster building to ease into that play style. IIRC, they started that season 9-8. Carlos Arroyo started half the season before being cut midway for Mike Bibby, who turned in a historically bad playoff performance. The Heat's remaining cap space in the MLE was spent on resigning Haslem (great signing on a seperate note), and Mike Miller, both of whom missed large portions of the season and playoffs to injury. The Heat ran through a weak eastern conference pretty much squarely on the shoulders of Wade, LBJ, and on occasion Bosh. Once they hit the finals, as a Mavs fan I'm sure you know what happened. The Mavs played extremely solid team basketball. They shot the lights out and Carlisle outcoached Spo. They were built around a hard nosed center at the core of their defense, an offensive dynamo in Dirk, and surrounded with shooters (Terry, Stevenson, Barea, Matrix etc). That team had gelled together as a collective entity. The Heat, whose line up all year was ragtag, insert your center of the week (Joel Anthony lol), ran into a more solid team concept. Wade and Bron's immense perimeter defense could only carry them so far. Stevenson played LeBron very well and yes he did fade a bit in the finals. All that withstanding, chemistry was a HUGE issue for the Heat in year one. also for that Heat team, losing in the finals was considered a failure, not just from the media, but from the team internally.

As far as the Rockets go this season, I'd be stunned if they developed as quickly as that 08 Celts team you referenced before. The odds of oft injure Dwight playing a full 82 is highly improbable. Assuming they don't trade Asik, idk how a center whom doesn't even want to be there will function. Lin is a liability defensively who functions best with the ball in his hands. Harden also needs the ball in order to facilitate. Parsons is a nice player as a stretch 4, but is a very soft option defensively at PF. I don't think just plugging in Dwight can alleviate their defensive woes. The bench is very lackluster as it stands, Beverley being a nice perimeter defender, but other than that, Francisco Garcia isn't striking fear into many teams. All that withstanding, I trust Kevin McHale.The Rockets do have some nice pieces and are in a fluent situation as far as filling out the bench and unloading Asik. But in the current West enviorment, I can't see anything better than their second trip past round one in 15 years. If that's what Morey is paying for, then good on him

Hitman, the Heat might have had different decisions that they took after what happened the first season, it does not mean they lacked chemistry at all, this sort of shit gets exaggerated because of winning or losing just a few games. "Getting through on talent" is its own chemistry. They started 9-8, THAT was chemistry/coaching problems. Running to a finals afterward is not some lark, if they did not have chemistry then arguing that chemistry matters at all is ridiculous - not like the Mavericks won because of chemistry or guts after all. Their defense throttled Lebron for half a series and it was really all it took (Spurs almost did the exact same - all they really did was throttle Lebron for half a series, and then later they were 20 seconds from winning it all). Dirk was bad, Barea was bad, Terry and Marion were off and on, Kidd was a corpse except on D, and Stevenson did not have an offensive game. In this series Parker was getting throttled himself most of the time, Manu was a corpse a lot of the time, and Duncan was great because he is a much better player than Dirk or Lebron.

People cannot have it both ways, chemistry either is or is not important or existent for the same reasons all the time. The Heat had "good chemistry" the first season and writing it any other way is nonsense. They bad lucked into 33 year old Dirk, good lucked into 36 year old KG, and good lucked into 37 year old Duncan and those were the biggest differences in those series - 33 year old Duncan closes the fucking hell out of that game 6 and wins the game on his own, just pretty much open and shut. At 37 he almost did it (first 30 minutes were legendary), but died so badly they felt they could not even keep him on the floor to close the game out with it mostly in hand! All of that is way more important than "chemistry", so is getting to add a free Battier and Birdman and not rely on Joel Anthony and Juwan Howard (Allen had that big shot, but he was actually hit and miss the whole series I felt). The Heat have had the same chemistry every year, people just retroactively reinvent winning to mean more than it does in a lot of ways.

Rockets may or may not do anything. Harden creates his own shot and if Dwight is back to old Dwight form, that offense could be unstoppable. Dwight could also be in even worse form than last year, chemistry is almost certainly not going to decide anything about the team no matter what the hell people think about Dwight's attitude and lack of passion.

Afrobull, I am not going to respond to you in general because you are ridiculously uninformed, and ridiculously bad at reading & speaking. Only the Cavaliers challenged the Celtics that year. They beat the Hawks by 23, 19, 25, and 34. You are uninformed, stop ranting about what you do not remember (and probably did not watch). Well actually I will say a little more to continue beating down the door of how uninformed you are. You say the Mavericks spent years building blah blah, uh yo they lost Caron Butler who was about to turn like 1 year old with the Mavericks, they were on year 1.25/1.25 of Stevenson, they were on year 1/1 of Chandler, and they were on year .25/.25 of Peja who turned into a corpse sometime around the start of round 3. Inventing chemistry for a team that was thrown together at random and made a finals run, nice. They made a finals run fueled on threes, Dirk, and defense, and those sexy sexy Chandler+Dirk screens.

Hitman, the Heat might have had different decisions that they took after what happened the first season, it does not mean they lacked chemistry at all, this sort of shit gets exaggerated because of winning or losing just a few games. "Getting through on talent" is its own chemistry. They started 9-8, THAT was chemistry/coaching problems. Running to a finals afterward is not some lark, if they did not have chemistry then arguing that chemistry matters at all is ridiculous - not like the Mavericks won because of chemistry or guts after all. Their defense throttled Lebron for half a series and it was really all it took (Spurs almost did the exact same - all they really did was throttle Lebron for half a series, and then later they were 20 seconds from winning it all). Dirk was bad, Barea was bad, Terry and Marion were off and on, Kidd was a corpse except on D, and Stevenson did not have an offensive game. In this series Parker was getting throttled himself most of the time, Manu was a corpse a lot of the time, and Duncan was great because he is a much better player than Dirk or Lebron.

People cannot have it both ways, chemistry either is or is not important or existent for the same reasons all the time. The Heat had "good chemistry" the first season and writing it any other way is nonsense. They bad lucked into 33 year old Dirk, good lucked into 36 year old KG, and good lucked into 37 year old Duncan and those were the biggest differences in those series - 33 year old Duncan closes the fucking hell out of that game 6 and wins the game on his own, just pretty much open and shut. At 37 he almost did it (first 30 minutes were legendary), but died so badly they felt they could not even keep him on the floor to close the game out with it mostly in hand! All of that is way more important than "chemistry", so is getting to add a free Battier and Birdman and not rely on Joel Anthony and Juwan Howard (Allen had that big shot, but he was actually hit and miss the whole series I felt). The Heat have had the same chemistry every year, people just retroactively reinvent winning to mean more than it does in a lot of ways.

Rockets may or may not do anything. Harden creates his own shot and if Dwight is back to old Dwight form, that offense could be unstoppable. Dwight could also be in even worse form than last year, chemistry is almost certainly not going to decide anything about the team no matter what the hell people think about Dwight's attitude and lack of passion.

Afrobull, I am not going to respond to you in general because you are ridiculously uninformed, and ridiculously bad at reading & speaking. Only the Cavaliers challenged the Celtics that year. They beat the Hawks by 23, 19, 25, and 34. You are uninformed, stop ranting about what you do not remember (and probably did not watch). Well actually I will say a little more to continue beating down the door of how uninformed you are. You say the Mavericks spent years building blah blah, uh yo they lost Caron Butler who was about to turn like 1 year old with the Mavericks, they were on year 1.25/1.25 of Stevenson, they were on year 1/1 of Chandler, and they were on year .25/.25 of Peja who turned into a corpse sometime around the start of round 3. Inventing chemistry for a team that was thrown together at random and made a finals run, nice. They made a finals run fueled on threes, Dirk, and defense, and those sexy sexy Chandler+Dirk screens.
I laugh at how you say I'm uninformed when you refuse to acknowledge my post. They almost lost to the Hawks, and the Lakers was a close series as well. Just because they beat the Hawks big they still played them to a game 7. I watched every game that post season because I actually am a Celtics fan. I know a lot more about the NBA then you do supposedly. If you fail to acknowledge my post then you obviously just admit you lost the argument. You don't have to listen to my arguments, but I am right. Your logic has to deal with age. Obviously if the Mavs were so hurt they wouldn't of won that finals. Your logic is ridiculous and very biased on your own opinion. I am informed from a logical standpoint, but not a bias standpoint. You do not find my points favorable, thus you throw them under the bus and cry about them.

I do absolutely agree with you that chemistry is an overvalued trait that is very very hard to quantify. and yes, to say that year 1 Heat team totally lacked chemistry is non sense. I was just trying to play devil's advocate however, and it seems very apparent that the year 2 + 3 Heat teams had a much more fluent overall team concept than the year one team. Yes you are also right that Battier is a clear upgrade over Juwuan, and there are clearly other factors that influenced the Heat succeeding, but the year two and three iterations of the Heat clearly possesed something that year one did not. Perhaps that was LeBron being LeBron, idk haha. Easy on Afroman though, he raised some valid points and is just another NBA fan.

On a seperate note, how about that Calderon/ Monta backcourt! All NBA Defense IMO. Sucks that Larkin got hurt though, I'm honestly a big believer that his game will translate very well to the NBA. The Mavs are turning into the Timberwolves with all these PGs , with that Israeli PG and pending on Harris. I really was pulling for Dwight to go to Dallas. Dirk deserves one more run, especially after striking out on every big free agent since letting Tyson walk. I was hoping for a Mavs-Heat rubber match. Not sure how much longer we're going to see Dirk in a Mavs jersey

I do absolutely agree with you that chemistry is an overvalued trait that is very very hard to quantify. and yes, to say that year 1 Heat team totally lacked chemistry is non sense. I was just trying to play devil's advocate however, and it seems very apparent that the year 2 + 3 Heat teams had a much more fluent overall team concept than the year one team. Yes you are also right that Battier is a clear upgrade over Juwuan, and there are clearly other factors that influenced the Heat succeeding, but the year two and three iterations of the Heat clearly possesed something that year one did not. Perhaps that was LeBron being LeBron, idk haha. Easy on Afroman though, he raised some valid points and is just another NBA fan.

On a seperate note, how about that Calderon/ Monta backcourt! All NBA Defense IMO. Sucks that Larkin got hurt though, I'm honestly a big believer that his game will translate very well to the NBA. The Mavs are turning into the Timberwolves with all these PGs , with that Israeli PG and pending on Harris. I really was pulling for Dwight to go to Dallas. Dirk deserves one more run, especially after striking out on every big free agent since letting Tyson walk. I was hoping for a Mavs-Heat rubber match. Not sure how much longer we're going to see Dirk in a Mavs jersey
I never said that the year one Heat team lacked chemistry, but there was no smooth rhythm or no team play in the NBA finals in 2011 which resulted in lack of chemistry.

Year 2 & 3 Heat had better players, league had more time to react. So honestly things played out pretty much the same every finals, people just judge what happened as if the winning/losing means something "better" happened - that year 1 team led 1-0 and was up 15 points before it started prematurely celebrating. I am happier than anyone that the Mavericks won and pulled off such an implausibly fast comeback, but that Heat team also led 2-1 again. Is that honestly different from the Heat-Spurs series? Mavericks were 5 minutes from very probably losing the series, Spurs were 20 seconds from very probably winning. Context and what you watched always matter in sports, just taking the final score gospel is wrong.

I am not even trying to remotely hype the version the Mavericks faced or anything, I think people are crazy who try to act like the first loss was a big deal because if the Spurs close out the game they SHOULD have closed out this year, people would have been going nuts to insult the Heat for the last several weeks. It would have never ended :/

I don't think I've ever seen someone that's as self-righteous and dickish as TenaciousAfroman. You ain't that smart bro, get a grip. I think he's just mad because the Celtics are now just a big trash heap that won't be good for another decade, while my team has one of the best 2-3 rosters in the NBA, so I'll just take solace in that.

<3

I don't think I've ever seen someone that's as self-righteous and dickish as TenaciousAfroman. You ain't that smart bro, get a grip. I think he's just mad because the Celtics are now just a big trash heap that won't be good for another decade, while my team has one of the best 2-3 rosters in the NBA, so I'll just take solace in that.

<3
lol. If the young players develop together, Rondo Green Bradley Sullinger Melo Olynyk and Crawford that team could be pretty nasty a couple years down from now. I will agree the Rockets 2-3 is better than most teams, but once you get off that you have no bench really. The Warriors, Nets (just because of experience), Heat, and Pacers have a better 2-3 lineup I believe. But the Rockets do come in 5th, just don't like Lin.

and to CaptKirby I did watch the 2008 playoff run, and against the Hawks and Cav's they struggled on the road, but at home were magnificent.

in his defense it is hard not to be mad sometimes

I have wanted to punch something every second I think about sports since we signed Calderon, Harris, Ellis, especially Ellis just sent me over the edge...I will get over it eventually because you can only stay mad so long but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

^ what's wrong with Calderon? You're overpaying for him, but the dude gives you 10 and 8 or so with great shooting percentages. (48%, 40%, 88% career). I'd say he's definitely an above average point guard

Uh gee maybe my problem is the part where Darren Collison is the exact same shooter with all the same defensive flaws, except only had to pay Collison $2 million??? Collison was also 25 and still probably going to improve. Calderon has some of the emptiest statistics in the league, really really not a good player.

I might be overreading things, but I am pretty sure the Mavericks have lost the free agency game two years straight because Mark Cuban openly shit on star players twice in a row with Nash & Chandler (although who knows what part of it was poor goals being set for who to go and get). There were really good players to chase this summer who were not Howard, and other teams got those guys.

Not every team can reload every year, I am not mad about us whiffing. I am bitter that this is what a championship team was ripped up for, it is a comedy of errors. Every team gets this shit, I am not going to sit here bitching and moaning all season, I am going to move on. Right now every time I think about sports, all I can think about is how my team chased three fucking guards who cannot play offense or defense. In the same week.

I would like to apologize to CaptKirby and TytsMagee for coming off the wrong foot early. I did come off cocky and douche-ish but I honestly thought TytsMagee post was a troll post, and I hate when people do that. I did not mean to sound very egotistical when I said I have an above average knowledge of the NBA, I just believe I do because of how much I watch the games and how much I are about the sport. So I will apologize for foul behavior, and I did not mean to be rude to both of you, and get off on the wrong foot. If someone could relay that message to CaptKirby in case he can't see this I'd appreciate it.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
^ what's wrong with Calderon? You're overpaying for him, but the dude gives you 10 and 8 or so with great shooting percentages. (48%, 40%, 88% career). I'd say he's definitely an above average point guard
Living in Michigan, and subsequently watching nearly every Pistons game, I can say that what Calderon gives you on offense, he subtracts it on defense. By seasons end I really hoped Joe Dumars wouldn't give Calderon an offer (thankfully he didn't). The only way that he'll work is if your team already has elite defense to make up for the atrocious defense he provides.

in his defense it is hard not to be mad sometimes

I have wanted to punch something every second I think about sports since we signed Calderon, Harris, Ellis, especially Ellis just sent me over the edge...I will get over it eventually because you can only stay mad so long but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Can I join you? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

If I'm Dirk, I'm more than pissed right now. Mavs can't even get a semi-decent Josh Smith for god's sake.

And honestly, as a Thunder fan, I'm scared of the Rockets. No, they won't be the same as Lakers last year (that team is shitty, with good chemistry or not). Harden is a killer on pick-and-roll; I watched him roll uberly efficiently with Nick Collison in his younger years. Change Collison with Howard and world now seems unfair. Agree with CK that they need to trade Asik but wait for trade deadline to assess what they really need. My guess is that they'll need a stretch 4 who can help on rebounding. Maybe they can work on Ryan Anderson. Or they can play small ball full-time just like Knicks and Heat and look for another good small forward to swap minutes with Parsons. No, they don't need another PG. Beverly seems like a good option whenever Lin isn't playing well. Another main weakness when Asik goes is that this team will be crazily thin outside of Howard. The likes of Clippers, Grizzlies and Spurs will kill them whenever Howard goes to the bench. A decent back-up center should be packaged when they trade Asik.

As for the Thunder, it's funny how people would say Thunder lagged this year because they didn't sign anybody. That is ridiculous. For the past 3 years, guess who are the 2 biggest free agents they signed? Derick Fisher!! and Hasheem Thabeet!! And still they're still one of teams on top of the league. Signing free agents just isn't the Thunder way. They develop young guys they picked and their success this season heavily relies on that. I think this'll be Reggie Jackson's year and we might see Jeremy Lamb show his potential in some games. This's also how Harden became the superstar he is right now (sadly he went off). This is how Ibaka became one of the better PFs in the league and still developing.

and those Clippers, they'll be pretty good with a very good coach around (Vinny is the suckiest coach I've seen on a playoff team). Only if they can get rid of Jordan...

I understand your point on the Rockets, but the bench for the Rockets I feel like will be the downfall. I feel like they will not have enough fire power when the bench gets their minutes, which will be a problem. I'm sure after a year or two, or maybe in a couple trades the Rockets management will be able to get a good bench, but for the time being I feel that is their only epitome at this point. The problem is at point Lin is very inconsistent in his playing, and Beverly I've never really watched play except some garbage minutes, but I'll take your word Vein that he is a good back-up. I just personally don't like Lin, I believe he is a mediocre point guard at best, maybe because he played for the Knicks and I'm a C's fan so the Atlantic Division rivalry killed my looks on Lin, idk. I think for the Rockets to have the best chance they need to keep Asik, because like you said they will be too weak down low without him. Howard is a presence down low, and if the Rockets ran a style like they did in Orlando where they have Asik, instead of Gortat, coming off the bench when Howard is out then I believe the Rockets will have a more effective line up. Just for the sole fact that Asik and Howard are both rim defenders. Asik, a true 7 footer, who was actually brought into the league for his defense and shot blocking and Howard who has proven he's a defensive anchor will help improve one of the weak spots of the Rockets which was post efficiency and defense. The Rockets will be scary but I don't know if this is their year.

But yes the Thunder are one of the only true teams sticking to morals. The others being Golden State and the Spurs. I believe teams are best built when the players grow with each other, and learn each other's styles. Sadly the only reason that style doesn't work as well anymore is because you don't get Durant/Westbrook/Harden type players in drafts who progress that quickly and become that effective that it makes other young players appealed to stay. But yes, the Thunder have done a great job of developing their young talent and not going balls to the walls in free agency and blowing all their cap. I do believe though that the Thunder should look into a Shooting Guard with the loss of Kevin Martin to help add to the offense. Though Westbrook/Durant provide 85% of their offense, the other 15% actually struggles and loses them a good amount of games. Ibaka is finally developing an offensive game, but the Thunder won't be as successful without that extra offense from a guy like Harden/Martin (even though Martin wasn't all that good last year). But yes the Clippers will be a good team, I'm excited to watch my boy Doc help that franchise. The Clippers are in the right direction, getting viable pieces that are needed. 3 point shooters, key role players off the bench who provide good offensive spark. CP3 is still the best point guard in the league to me, I just feel like he has the complete package. Griffin needs to man up this year, and I agree DeAndre just isn't proving he is a center in this league, or an effective one yet. I believe Doc will help give the two young guys the motivational spark they need to step up their game, appears Vinny was a little soft, obviously proving his Playoff Success.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)