0dd25802-8ea2-457b-95f4-92510f438fd2 (1).jpg

1.0 Introduction
2.0 Proof of Peak
3.0 The Teambuilding Process
4.0 Breakdown of each 'mon
5.0 Threats
6.0 Replays & Conclusion

Click for link to team

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.0 Introduction

This is my 3rd RMT of the generation and I believe this might just be the best team I have made yet. After DLC came out, I was very interested in trying out all the new 'mons, especially the masked forms of the new legendary Ogerpon. Originally experimenting with a pre-DLC version of my team that had the fire type Ogerpon, I was frankly disappointed at the mon and decided to give Ogrepon-Water a try, which I believe is a much better fit on HO teams despite Ogerpon-Fire arguably being a better offensive mon with Mold Breaker. By playing a lot of ladder and just experimenting in general, then attempting to craft the best team from my experiences, I have come to the end result of this team. If you are interested I have written my thoughts about the DLC meta in the OU Metagame Discussion in case you wanted to know more about my thought process behind building (I will cover that in 3.0 more thoroughly). After making many iterations of this team, and coping with the abomination that was ladder when DLC dropped (Ninetales-A and Bax being spammed literally every game), I believe I have created the most consistent and best team following the DLC, taking into account all the new mons as well as having answers to the majority of threats.

2.0 Proof of Peak

Screen Shot 2023-09-18 at 1.33.32 pm.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-18 at 1.32.12 pm.png

As of this post, I am rank 3 on the OU ladder with an elo of 2018 and a GXE of 88. In addition to this, the "zamazwag" account was created only 2 days before this RMT was written, which further shows how consistent and good the team is, to get a 88GXE and 2k elo so quickly in a new meta, without decay abusing.

3.0 The Teambuilding Process

As someone who is a Hyper Offense go-to when it comes to new metas, it would be no different for the release of DLC. I was super hyped about making an RMT around Ogerpon-Fire and Walking Wake initially, so I started off with a basic HO core of Glimmora, Kingambit and Baxcalbur.
:Glimmora: :Kingambit: :Baxcalibur:
Now after incorporating Ogerpon-Fire and Walking Wake, I decided to round off my version of this team with Iron Valiant, another HO staple. After doing some good testing, I found out that Ogerpon-Fire is not as good as I had initially anticipated. Don't get me wrong - the 'mon is not bad, I can see it being maybe A tier at best, however the weakness to rocks and no way to deal with it due to the item lock, as well as its deceptively bad bulk (dies to Kingambit 1 fallen at 60%, its volcarona levels of squishy). I decided to tryout its counterpart in Ogerpon-Water, or the Wellspring variant, and it worked WONDERS. I will go more in depth about the mon individually in the following section but the change was honestly drastic and I began winning a lot more using it. When i was testing, I was running into an annoyingly abundant amount of Ninetails-A and Bax cheese, which was almost unstoppable yet easy to execute, which lead me to replace my own Baxcalibur with an Air Balloon Gholdengo, giving me more leverage over playing around fairy types as a whole, whilst being the most consistent check to Baxcalibur and having good synergy with Glimm. I finished that team off by replacing Baxcalibur with Iron Moth, a very strong mon which when paired with a booster speed, can revenge kill other Ogerpons with powerful sludge waves, and is very hard to stop in this current metagame if you get lucky with the Fiery Dance boosts.
This led me to start my climb on the zamazwag account, in which I achieved a very nice record of 39 wins and 1 loss.
1695009470122.png

Following this record, I headed off for the night and woke up the next morning to Baxcalibur being banned, which I was very happy about considering the difficulties you had to account for in teambuilder with Veil + Bax literally EVERYWHERE. When Baxcalibur was banned, I looked for replacements for Gholdengo, as it was easily the weakest link on my team. Being weak to Kingambit (which was almost on every team), as well as being Ogerpon-Fire fodder, it was a no brainer to get rid of Dengo, the only consistent check to Bax, now that the aforementioned 'mon is gone. After trialing Dragonite, Roaring Moon etc. I came to enjoy using Zamazenta the most. If you have seen my pre-dlc HOs, I really enjoyed using Zamazenta. If you are able to take out the Special Attackers on the opposing team (which happens very often considering the amount of pressure the rest of the team puts), it is very difficult; almost impossible, to kill Zamazenta after a few IDs. Now that Zamazenta was locked in, I laddered until my peak so far of this meta, as shown above in 2.0.

4.0 Breakdown of each 'mon

:sv/Glimmora:
Glimmora @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Power Gem
- Mortal Spin

Glimmora is the staple lead of Hyper Offenses as of right now. I know some people who like Samurott-H, or Sandy Shocks dual lead, but personally I believe Glimmora is frankly just the best option right now. Being able to pressure setting up toxic spikes as a side effect of being a consistently good Stealth Rock setter is amazing, and having mortal spin is just the cherry on top. Glimm's coverage is also amazing, and I am currently running Power Gem + EP as I have found it to be most successful considering the amount of Pelippers, Ninetales and Torkoal I have been seeing recently, however power gem can be easily substituted for Energy Ball. Glimmora pairs extremely well with Zamazenta, as the opponents may lead special attackers like Enam, Dragapult, Dengo etc. to avoid the Toxic Debris, and by chipping them you allow a pathway for Zamazenta to be the wincondition.

:sv/Kingambit:
Kingambit @ Black Glasses
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

The premiere revenge killer of the tier, and for sure the best 'mon in the metagame hands down. With Kingambit's moveset being less predictable by the day (some are dropping kowtow for low kick + ihead, others are dropping ihead for low kick and kowtow, some are tera blast fairy), teams must play around it with much more caution. Kingambit allows for very strong endgames, and is a very reliable answer to stall and balance mons. Having black glasses allows for insane damage on the sucker punches, leading to more revenge kills. I am also tera flying instead of the normal dark/fairy which is often run with glasses, which could deceive opponents. Flying is a very solid type for Kingambit, letting it flip its matchup against mons like tusk, dnite, zama, ival etc. With Baxcalibur gone from the tier, tera flying remains better than ever.

:sv/Zamazenta:
Zamazenta @ Leftovers
Ability: Dauntless Shield
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 132 Def / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

Zamazenta becomes one of the secondary lategame cleaners on this team, and I believe its value is heavily underrated. One might think that a Howl set or Choice Band set may fit better than Iron Defense on a Hyper Offense, however being able to ID up and become practically invincible to physical attacks lategame is a huge asset and wins many games. With speed EVs of 138, Zamazenta is tailored to outspeed every starter, incuding Greninja, only being slower than Dragapult in raw speed. 252 Attack is a great attack stat, allowing it to comfortably 2HKO non defensive Gholdengos and all Glowkings with crunch, as well as OHKOing Moltres with stone edge. Having tera fire is great as it helps the Ogrepon-Fire matchup, as well as making its typing a resist to fairies, allowing you to effectively flip the matchup on mons like Iron Moth, Enam and Iron Valiant. Tera Fire also allows this set to beat every single Kingambit lategame, and non encore Dragonite, which has been used a lot more recently due to the need of priority following the release of the Ogers.

:sv/Iron_Valiant:
Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hypnosis

One might see this set and say WTF. Why would anyone ever run Hypnosis Iron Valiant? Allow me to give my reasonings. This Iron Valiant set has enabled many sweeps for me, and a lot of credit must be given to Hypnosis. I originally came up with this set against Akalli for Teraless OU semifinals, and ever since I have been using it and it has shown a lot of promise, as well as putting me in winning positions in many games that were supposed to be lost. Iron Valiant is notoriously strong, however it has its fair share of checks, such as Zapdos, Amoongus, Toxapex, Glowking to name a few. If you CM on Iron Valiant, and they switch in one of those 'mons, realistically you have a 0% chance of beating them. Glowking and Amoonguss just click Sludge and kill you, Zapdos will just hurricane after living a +1 Moonblast, etc. So why dont we turn this 0% chance of winning into a 60% chance of winning the matchup? Hypnosis has a terrible accuracy which makes it unviable on every mon since it misses half the time, however on a sweeper like Iron Valiant I believe firmly it can change the tide of a game. Sure it misses 40% of the time, however if you are able to hit that 60% hypnosis on the mons, you may be able to set up an extra Calm Mind or two, and completely steamroll the rest of the game. This works especially good into Kingambit as well, due to CC being a very prevalent set on Iron Valiant, many Kingambits now tera out of their weakness. Using Hypnosis on Kingambit allows you to scout their tera and put them to sleep, allowing you to win the matchup 60% of the time instead of 0. Think of it as gambling - and its gets MANY people mad on ladder. The amount of rage quits and flaming I have seen when I hypnosis a mon is hilarious - this set can truly turn a lost game into a won one.

:sv/Iron_Moth:
Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 124 Def / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Wave
- Substitute
- Dazzling Gleam

With the prevalence of Ogrepon-Fire and its Mold Breaker ability, people have been less inclined to use Heatran, making this pick very good in the current meta. Iron Moth's sweeping potential is very strong with it being able to stack up Fiery Dances, and it serves as a soft check to opposing Iron Valiants that don't have Psyshock or Psychic - the majority. Being speed booster avoids the speedtie with Ogrepon forms and lets you outspeed and kill them comfortably with a powerful Sludge Wave. Gleam is great coverage very dragons and Darks, and ofc Substitute is for Kingambit.

1695015790140.png

Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Power Whip
- Ivy Cudgel
- Knock Off

Personally as stated before, I think Wellspring is much better than Hearthflame on HO teams. Not having the rocks weakness is huge, and Water Absorb is a very solid ability as well, as it makes the rain matchup MUCH better to play, which is always a threat to HOs considering the amount of flip turning for momentum into powerful Wave Crashes, which can be decentivised by the existence of this mon. Ogerpon's power is unmatched - the damage is crazy and the 350 speed tier is amazing, letting it revenge kill Tusks, Manaphys, and many more powerful threats under it. To get a gauge of its power:
+2 252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gholdengo: 360-424 (95.2 - 112.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
Max def Dengo gets absolutely GOOBED by this mon. Having strong STAB power whips also invalidate Dondozo, forcing it to tera, which opens up others on the team, specifically gambit. Terastallizing also grants Ogerpon with a SpDef boost, which is situational but very helpful, such as winning the matchup vs a Walking Wake in the endgame, or beating Ival/Enam with it. This mon is crazy and I do believe it is capable of being a HO staple, even more so than Ogerpon-Fire thanks to its insane consistency and power in all games.

5.0 Threats

Using this team, I have only lost around 5 games or so with it, but here are some mons that could cause trouble.

:sv/Dragonite:
Pretty self explanatory. If you are facing an encore Dragonite, you gotta get the reads right, nothing much else to say, encore Dnite kinda goes crazy.

1695016543396.png

Okay this thing is really annoying. If it is tera ghost, it is very hard to beat. I've been seeing more faster variants made just to creep Gambit, and if it is tera ghost you have like no chance.. lol. This mon will kill everyone and the only way to stop it is to become tera flying Gambit, which is expending ur tera, and this is not good at all. Gamefreak also decided to give it stupidly good physical bulk, which means even a power whip from Ogrepon wont kill it unless it is chipped. Getting hazards for this is a must.

:sv/Dondozo:
Not Dondozo that is a problem, but stall in general. Out of my 7 losses, 2 of them were to Highv0ltag3 who has made a very good RMT. Since this team lacks hazard removal, and stall is not like SpikeSpam where you can overhelm easily, it is hard to play against. I have beaten others using stall but you just have to outplay with Kingambit, force the tera on Dondozo and try win with Iron Valiant. The way I have won this matchup before against other stall players is play super aggro and constantly force pressure, do not give the gliscor any chance to set up rocks. If you can pressure and get Ogerpon in, then click Power whip on the dozo switch, you pretty much auto win. It is hard however since you will get revenged killed by Tornadus-T if you play wrong, and the knock offs are very annoying, but its really just a game of outplays by this point.

6.0 Replays & Conclusion
I have not been saving like almost any replays at all LOL but i got like a few anyways

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1945881718-rtxkbkjk6il3cxpsrztbcr5v6h4ff0tpw vs Pinkacross, hypnosis ival went crazy
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1945353246-cwdm6455sv9oz7vk49a31mpsmfnktrepw sniped by Vkhss on ladder, he still lost with his fraud webs
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1945273857-ceqsfvyjq2zl04z1ibyaoe1ecxjl843pw vs HO Emporer

That is pretty much all I have to write for this RMT. I am working on a few more balanced teams and I will make a new alt and try get a new peak, I will most likely let "zamazwag" decay and get a GXE above 90 later. Massive shoutouts to Vkhss and sufys they have been my testing partners for almost everything, and some of my closest friends on this platform, words cannot describe how much I appreciate yall for all the support and always being on to help make new teams and brainstorm.
Thanks Vert Storm Zone Baloor Fusien Leavers Stunfisk2140 MAVERICK SHOOTERS Mario34 Weirdhamster for all the support, sorry if i missed anyone.

Enjoy the team and feel free to leave any suggestions or questions. pce

Wouldn't you want to run Dbond on Val? Even if they go to sleep, they still have a chance to wake up so I think you would be better with the consistency of Dbond guaranteeing a kill. The only way I think Hypno could be better is for switches.

Exotic64

MDRRRRRRRR
is a Tiering Contributor
Wouldn't you want to run Dbond on Val? Even if they go to sleep, they still have a chance to wake up so I think you would be better with the consistency of Dbond guaranteeing a kill. The only way I think Hypno could be better is for switches.
ive tried dbond, it doesnt work for stuff like pex where they just straight up dont click but i guess its an alternative that can be considered. personally like hypno more i think im just lucky with the 60%
you also lose momentum which is especially bad on HO teams, going down 1 for 1 is worse than dying then letting something else come in to revenge kill and gain the upper hand or using them as fodder for setup

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
this team is very good, went 33-3 with it, only thing that should be changed is running a little more speed on Zamazanta to outspeed Ribombee [right now you're just one point slower] to revenge ko it after glim uses mortal spin. pretty rare but only costs 8 more EVs. again, very good team and congrats on peak.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Tried the first version you posted in the Metagame thread and it was insanely flames, hyped to use this optimized version :D Ogerpon-Wellspring is the goat

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
hey young exotic, told you this already but i really like this team. I know you've been looking to improve the dragonite mu in particular so i think tera ghost iron moth is worth a try. Blocking espeed can be very nice in the endgame, also I think eball > gleam would be worth a try to hit / force bursaluna to tera vs you. i dont think you particularly need tera fairy due to you having a few answers to sucker already.

for dozo the easiest thing you could probably try out encore > hypno. i know this hypno set is super shiest but i feel it overall could be more beneficial in the long run. another option could be low kick tera fighting gambit with lefties or lum but unsure if you want to sacrifice your potential ground immune for that.

overall really good team and really well written rmt. I edited the title of the post to include the SV OU tag for further visibility.

Last edited:
I've seen this team a lot while laddering and while it's great I think you've overlooked that it loses to standard roaring moon after a single dd, you may want to make some adjustment to patch that up, at the very least you could run play rough on ogerpon as it tends give really easy set up opportunities to moon. yeah knock off is very useful for the gholdengo matchup but between gambit and iron moth that shouldn't be a problem anyways in my opinion. Otherwise tho, very good team!

Last edited:

Exotic64

MDRRRRRRRR
is a Tiering Contributor
I've seen this team a lot while laddering and while it's great I think you've overlooked that it loses to standard roaring moon after a single dd, you may want to make some adjustment to patch that up, at the very least you could run play rough on ogerpon as it tends give really easy set up opportunities to moon. yeah knock off is very useful for the gholdengo matchup but between gambit and iron moth that shouldn't be a problem anyways in my opinion. Otherwise tho, very good team!
when i made this team i ran into pretty much 0 roaring moons, i think you can go tera steel zama > fire now that ogerpon fire is gone. i have an updated version of this team which is working even better than before but i will showcase that during charity bowl. thanks for the feedback!

Most booster moths I've seen invest in HP instead, is there a reason you've opted for this spread? I haven't played since DLC dropped so i was worried there's some important calc I don't know about lol
Its invested into defense to take sucker punches better and because iron moth is weak to rocks, it will take more damage from them so you are better off investing in defence.

Hmm.. im curious what the plan is to get past sp. def gliscor? That is a set to so im wondering how does one not get run over when kingambit has to burn tera otherwise eq just 2hko's it, free switch in on zama, moth kinda cant touch it, and the only thing that can do well is ogrepon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)