Omastar [4F]+

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
After going over Aldaron's guidelines and the rest of the rules more completely, I've decided to post my Omastar analysis. The things I did include:

-Adding Team Support comments to each set
-Combined the Spiker and Support sets into one, and moved Rest + Sleep Talk to Other Options
-Reworked the new Utility set's EV spread to absorb hits better on both sides
-Updated the EVs section, Opinion section, and Counters section
-Added the Team options section

Anything written as such should be omitted.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/omastar

[SET]
name: Swift Swim
move 1: Rain Dance / Earth Power
move 2: Surf / Hydro Pump
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Hidden Power Electric / Hidden Power Grass
item: Life Orb / Damp Rock
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Omastar has high Special Attack, and with Rain Dance and Swift Swim boosting his Speed, and Life Orb boosting the power of his attacks, he makes an excellent special sweeper, especially in the lower tiers. Surf or Hydro Pump is a simple choice between accuracy and power, while Ice Beam covers Grass-types and destroys Dragon-types like Altaria. Deciding on which Hidden Power you want depends on what Pokémon you want to cover. Hidden Power Grass covers Water/Ground-types, specifically Quagsire and Gastrodon, as well as damaging Lanturn while Hidden Power Electric takes out Gyarados, should you try this set in OU.</p>

<p>When using Swift Swim Omastar in OU, Earth Power becomes a great addition over Rain Dance, scoring 2HKOs on positive natured 252 HP / 92 SpD Empoleon and the most specially defensive Tentacruel, without Stealth Rock or Life Orb factored in. If you do replace Rain Dance, go with Life Orb as the held item, and make sure you have other Rain Dancers to keep Swift Swim activated. Hidden Power Electric then becomes the better choice, taking down Gyarados who would otherwise wall this set. Gyarados, though, can turn the rain against you with double STAB Waterfalls, so take his out as quickly as possible.</p>

<p>Having rain already set up will really help get Omastar sweeping, so his greatest allies will be Pokemon who can easily set up Rain Dance. Bulky Pokemon, like Uxie or Ludicolo, are good choices in UU, as both can consistently switch in and et up rain. Electrode also, is a viable addition to your team, just know he tends to be suicidal. OU Pokemon like Bronzong, Kingdra, and Azelf are great in the upper tier, as they provide both coverage from Ground- and Grass-type attacks and make good Rain Dance partners as well.</p>

Redid the calculatios thanks to Eo Ut Mortus, so they should be fine. Earth Power was one of the moves I used on my OU Omastar, so I felt it deserved a slash-in. The set name was changed, because you would expect a Rain Dance set to always include Rain Dance.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Surf / Hydro Pump
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: AncientPower
move 4: Hidden Power Grass
item: Choice Specs
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Omastar’s movepool is only just about good enough to support a Choice Specs set, allowing him to function as a rather slow but powerful hit and run attacker. AncientPower is pretty weak even with STAB, but it does decent damage to Pokemon who can sponge hits from your other attacks easily, such as Mantine. Hidden Power Grass can be used to take down bulky Water-type hybrids, including Swampert and Lanturn, just watch out for Lanturn's STAB Electric-type attacks.</p>

<p>Some back up from a Rain Dancer would be really helpful if you're using this set. Having an Omastar with over 400 Speed and firing off attacks from a 540 Special Attack stat with even further boosted STAB Water attacks is quite the potent threat.</p>

<p>Again, Rain Dance would be beneficial to this set, as will entry hazards. A Pokemon running off 400 Speed and packing a 540 Special Attack stat isn’t something you want to skip over. Ludicolo does a great job as a switch-in for this set, resisting Electric- and Ground-type attacks, and taking only neutral damage from Grass-type attacks. The dancing pineapple is also a very capable Rain Dancer, and both its abilities benefit from the rain. Users of Stealth Rock and Spikes, such as Claydol and Roserade, respectively, are also appreciated, as the entry hazards help net OHKOs that would otherwise be impossible. If you’re looking for someone to absorb the inevitable Grass-type attacks better than Ludicolo does, adding a Flying-type Pokemon, such as Altaria, would be beneficial. If rain isn’t being used, Moltres is an amazing partner, as Air Slash and Fire Blast take down the majority of Omastar’s counters.</p>

I left this section to be more UU centered, mainly because I didn't have very much success with it in OU. If anyone has had better luck than I have, please help me out with this set.

[SET]
name: Utility
move 1: Surf
move 2: Spikes / Toxic Spikes
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Ice Beam / Knock Off / Protect
item: Leftovers
ability: Shell Armor
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Omastar has an awful typing for a defensive Pokémon, but his impressive Defense stat means he can at least switch into Choice Banded Normal, Flying, and Fire attacks with ease. Once Omastar is in play, set up entry hazards. The choice between Spikes and Toxic Spikes comes down to personal preference. Spikes is suggested as few Pokémon can learn it. Toxic Spikes can be used as an alternative, but is generally a poor choice in UU, where Poison-types run amuck.</p>

<p>The last move slot is influenced by the rest of your team. If you need to cover Dragon-or Grass-types, use Ice Beam. Knock Off is a great support move, stripping your opponent’s Pokemon of many valuable items. Protect is a good stall option, scouting for Choiced Pokemon and providing a turn of Leftovers recovery, as well as racking up poison damage is you opt to use Toxic Spikes.</p>

<p>Adding this set to a Rain Dance team might seem plausible, but know that you have low Special Attack investment, and will be using up three turns of rain to lay down entry hazards.</p>

<p>A spin blocker is a great ally for this set, especially Rotom, who is immune to both Fighting- and Ground-type attacks. Rotom’s ability to add screens or status your foe’s counters will greatly help Omastar, covering his lower Special Defense or horrible Speed, respectively.</p>

<p>It’s worth noting how effective this set is on an OU Sandstorm team. The Special Defense boost adds to Omastar’s sturdiness, but be wary of the all-too-frequent Ground- and Fighting-type attacks. Omastar also makes a great switch-in to Heatran locked into a STAB Fire-type move (Choice Specs Fire Blast is a 3HKO in Sandstorm). Omastar doesn't fear Stealth Rock, so he can easily switch in on the majority of Stealth Rockers and threaten them with STAB Water-type attacks.</p>

The two sets worked amost exactly the same in my experience, but ResTalking was more of a burden than a help, so I relocated it to Other Options, explaining why it was moved there. The EV spread is discussed below. Also removed the bit about Salamence, as he since he's mentioned in the EVs section.

[Team Options]
<p>Omastar’s great, but he really shines in Rain. A great lead Pokemon like Uxie or Electrode in UU, and Azelf in OU, who are capable of getting Rain Dance set up fast puts Omastar into speed mode- just make sure the rain doesn’t dry up. Sandstorm is also a viable, though less used, weather condition, since he is able to cover the Fire weakness held by many Steel-types with a STAB Surf.</p>

<p>Being a Swift Swim Pokemon, the majority of Omastar’s ideal teammates also star on Rain Dance teams. Kabutops picks up the slack on the physical side, but shares every weakness Omastar does. Qwilfish can help set up entry hazards with Omastar and KO Grass-types with STAB Poison-type attacks, but will add another Ground-type weakness to your team. Ludicolo is one of the best partners with Omastar in UU and OU, with both Pokemon providing great resistances, while not sharing a single common weakness as well.</p>

<p>In OU, Kingdra becomes a great ally, resisting or taking neutral damage from all of Omastar’s weaknesses. Rotom-H or Rotom-W are both good teammates, depending on whether rain is falling or not. Both block Rapid Spin attempts, but while Rotom-H covers Grass-types with Overheat, Rotom-W can use boosted Hydro Pump and 100% accuracy STAB Thunder. Be wary of Tyranitar, though, if you choose to run Rotom-W; his Sandstream ability will lower Thunder's accuracy to 50%.</p>

<p>Omastar has some backing when it comes to defensive pairings. Chansey and Omastar’s foil defensive stats make them a capable duo in UU; just make sure both are out of there when Fighting-types come to play. Clefable also performs similarly to Chansey. Spiritomb boasts immunity to Fighting-type attacks and can stall out many enemies with help from Omastar’s entry hazards. Registeel and Steelix both provide a bulky support group for Omastar, just know that the also both bring another Fighting- and Ground-type weakness to your team.</p>

<p>In OU, Bronzong is great when paired with our prehistoric cephalopod. Bronzong boast immunity to Ground, resists Grass-type moves, takes neutral damage from Fighting attacks, and is able to use Rain Dance. In return, Omastar covers Bronzong’s only weakness, Fire, with its dual Water- and Rock-typing. Hippowdon and Tyranitar are both great teammates, since both can activate permanent sandstorm, though Hipowdon is probably the better choice; Tyranitar shares many more weaknesses with Omastar. Status sponges, such as Starmie and Blissey, are also helpful (and Blissey can provide recovery via Wish).</p>

<p>To effectively use Omastar, you have to be either super offensive (in Rain), or great at predicting (for hazards). Either way, though, Omastar must have great teammates who can cover for his multiple weaknesses.</p>

Followed Aldaron's outline to a "T", so I believe it's complete. If anyone has any better ideas for teammates that I didn't mention, please point them out.

[Other Options]
<p>Choice Specs Wring Out strips around 45% off a full health Lanturn and up to 80% from Quagsire, but is rather poor otherwise. Omastar can also run a Rest + Sleep Talk set, but he has problems using it effectively. Other than that, Omastar’s move pool is fairly shallow.</p>

[EVs]
<p>If you’re holding anything but a Life Orb, the standard 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe spread maximizes all important stats. If, however, you are using a Life Orb and want to hit that magic Hit Point number, lowering the HP IV to 29 will grant you 279 HP and a few extra hits on your opponent. The Utility set’s EV spread allows Omastar to live through an Adamant Choice Banded Dugtrio Earthquake and score an OHKO with Surf (even without Stealth Rock support), as well as survive a Naughty Life Orb +1 Outrage from Salamence.</p>

Damage calculations were redone using Libelldra's calculator, so they're legit. Didn't mention Ice Beam vs DDmence, because it seemed redundant with the Dugtrio comment.

[Opinion]
<p>Omastar may have been dealt a rather poor hand when it comes to typing and movepool, but he does the best he can with what he has. Omastar resides in two niches, both of which play very differently. Being a successful hazard setter or sweeper is difficult, especially when you're so defensively lopsided and slow, and although it may take a bit of prediction to successfully use, as soon as you learn how to switch him in and how much he can manage, our extinct friend here is one capable Pokemon, regardless of the tier he's playing in.</p>

Not much to say here; I just decided to rewrite the Opinion to better reflect how Omastar works in today's metagame.

[Counters]
<p>Omastar's horrid typing makes him susceptible to a multitude of attack types. Roserade and Ludicolo both pack enough punch with their STAB special attacks to OHKO Omastar every time, and even Breloom can overcome his huge base 125 Defense to score OHKOs with Seed Bomb. The move Vacuum Wave also spells doom for Omastar, so Toxicroak and Lucario aren’t welcome guests on the battlefield, either.</p>

<p>Bulky Water-types, such as Milotic, don’t fear Hidden Power, and can retaliate with greater force. Vaporeon can absorb Water-type attacks to replenish her own HP, as well as hit hard with Surf, so be on your guard. Suicune can use Omastar as set-up fodder, and really has no problem absorbing a Hidden Power, either.</p>

<p>Like all Pokemon who rely on their Special Attack stat to cause damage, Omastar is walled by the pink blobs Chansey, in UU and Blissey, in OU. Registeel, also, does a fair job of stopping Omastar in its tracks. Our beloved octopus snail also falls to Tracers, such as Gardevoir, who can copy Swift Swim and wreak havoc on Rain Dance teams. Lack of a reliable recovery move outside of Rest really hurts Omastar as well, and residual damage from status and entry hazards are normally enough to force him into OHKO range for anything.</p>

Changed to reflect usage statistics better (thanks Malkyrian).

One thing I noticed right away: an awful lot of references to Mantine, Quagsire, and Gastrodon, which are all NU. The Counters section in particular reflects the "old UU" a lot; it mentions not only those three but also Hypno and Grumpig, also both NU.

I find it ironic that you got rid of the Gardevoir bit while keeping all of that in, as Gardevoir was used quite a bit more than the above-mentioned Pokemon; it only dropped off recently, while they have been there for quite some time.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well, since NU is no longer a tier, I'm not going to get rid of all instances where they're mentioned, but I'll try to cut them out where they won't apply as directly.

EDIT: Changes made.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This isn't a full revamp, really. UU Analyses need to basically be completely rewritten rather than just team options added on.

I'll give line by line criticism later. I don't really have a level head right now.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've rewritten nearly everything but two sets that I didn't feel could be improved on. What that's not blue can I change?

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
After going over Aldaron's guidelines and the rest of the rules more completely, I've decided to post my Omastar analysis. The things I did include:

-Combined the Spiker and Support sets into one, and moved Rest + Sleep Talk to Other Options

[Set]
Name: Swift Swim
Move 1: Rain Dance / Earth Power
Move 2: Surf / Hydro Pump
Move 3: Ice Beam
Move 4: Hidden Power Electric / Hidden Power Grass
Item: Life Orb / Damp Rock
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Modest
EV Spread: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>Omastar has high Special Attack, and with Rain Dance and Swift Swim boosting his Speed, and Life Orb boosting the power of his attacks, he makes an excellent special sweeper, especially in the lower tiers. Surf or Hydro Pump is a simple choice between accuracy and power, while Ice Beam covers Grass-types and destroys Dragons like Altaria and Salamence. Deciding on which Hidden Power you want depends on what Pokémon you want to cover. Grass covers Water/Ground-types, specifically Quagsire and Gastrodon, as well as damaging Lanturn while Electric takes out Gyarados and other Flying-types you may fear.</p>

<p>When using Swift Swim Omastar in OU, Earth Power becomes a great addition over Rain Dance, scoring 2HKOs on positive natured 252 HP / 92 SpD Empoleon and the most specially defensive Tentacruel, without Stealth Rock or Life Orb factored in. If you do replace Rain Dance, go with Life Orb as the held item, and make sure you have other Rain Dancers to keep Swift Swim activated. Hidden Power Electric then becomes the better choice, taking down Gyarados who would otherwise wall this set.</p>

<p>Having rain already set up will really help get Omastar sweeping, so his greatest allies will be Pokemon who can easily set up Rain Dance. Bulky Pokemon like Uxie or Ludicolo are good choices in UU, as both can consistently switch in and Dance. Electrode and Crobat, also, are viable additions to your team, just remember that both suffer from fragility (Crobat isn't really frail). OU Pokemon like Bronzong, Kingdra, and Azelf are great in the upper tier, as they provide both immunities to Ground- and Grass-type (just Bronzong, though, might want to change this) attacks and make good Dance partners as well.</p>

My calculations were done using Metalkid's Damage Calculator (use Liberedella, it's the most accurate calculator), so they chould be fine. Earth power was one of the moves I used on my OU Omastar, so I felt it deserved a slash-in. The set name was changed, because you would expect a Rain Dance set to always include Rain Dance.

[Set]
Name: Choice Specs
Move 1: Surf / Hydro Pump
Move 2: Ice Beam
Move 3: AncientPower
Move 4: Hidden Power Grass
Item: Choice Specs

[Set Comment]
<p>Omastar’s movepool is only just about good enough to support a Choice Specs set, allowing him to function as a rather slow but powerful hit and run attacker. AncientPower is pretty weak even with STAB, but it does decent damage to Pokemon who can sponge hits from your other attacks easily such as Mantine. Hidden Power Grass can be used to take down bulky Water-type hybrids, including Swampert and Lanturn.</p>

<p>Some back up from a Rain Dancer would be really helpful if you're using this set. Having an Omastar with over 400 Speed and firing off attacks from a 540 Special Attack stat with even further boosted STAB Water attacks is quite the potent threat.</p>

<p>Again, Rain Dance will greatly benefit (original wording implied adding it to the moveset) this set, as will entry hazards. A Pokemon running off 400 speed and packing a 540 Special Attack stat isn’t something you want to skip over. Ludicolo does a great job as a switch-in for this set, resisting Electric- and Ground-type attacks, and taking only neutral damage from Grass attacks. The dancing pineapple is also a very capable Rain Dancer, and both its abilities benefit from the rain. Stealth Rockers and Spikers such as Claydol and Roserade are also appreciated, as the entry hazards help net OHKOs that would otherwise be impossible. If you’re looking for someone to absorb the inevitable Grass-type attacks better than Ludicolo does, adding a Flying-type Pokemon such as Altaria would be beneficial. If rain isn’t being used, Moltres is an amazing partner, as Air Slash and Fire Blast take down the majority of Omastar’s counters.</p>

I left this section to be more UU centered, mainly because I didn't have very much success with it in OU. If anyone has had better luck than I have, please help me out with this set.

[Set]
Name: Utility
Move 1: Surf
Move 2: Spikes / Toxic Spikes
Move 3: Stealth Rock
Move 4: Ice Beam / Knock Off / Protect
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
Nature: Bold
Ev Spread: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD

I've found that Surf / Spikes / Ice Beam / Protect works pretty well and prefer it to Stealth Rock. I suppose it is slashed already, though.

[Set Comments]
<p>Omastar has an awful typing for a defensive Pokémon, but his impressive Defense stat means he can at least switch into Choice Banded Normal, Flying, and Fire attacks with ease. Once Omastar is in play, set up entry hazards. The choice between Spikes and Toxic Spikes comes down to personal preference. Spikes is suggested as few Pokémon can learn it. Toxic Spikes can be used as an alternative, but is generally a poor choice in UU, where Poison-types run amuck.</p>

<p>The last move slot is influenced by the rest of your team. If you need to cover Dragon- and Grass-types , use Ice Beam. Knock Off is a great support move, stripping your opponent’s Pokemon of many valuable items. Protect is a good stall option, scouting choiced moves (I found this to be the main selling point for me) and providing a turn of Leftovers recovery, as well as racking up poison damage is you opt to use Toxic Spikes.</p>

<p>Adding this set to a Rain Dance team might seem plausible, but know that you have low Special Attack investment, and will be using up three turns of rain to lay down entry hazards.</p>

<p>A spin blocker is a great ally for this set, especially Rotom, who is immune to both Fighting- and Ground-type attacks. Rotom’s ability to add screens or status your foe’s counters will greatly help Omastar, covering his lower Special Defense or horrible Speed, respectively.</p>

<p>It’s worth nothing how effective this set is on an OU Sandstorm team. The Special Defense boost adds to Omastar’s sturdiness, but be wary of the all-too-frequent Earthquakes. Omastar also makes a great switch-in to Heatran locked into a STAB Fire move (Choice Specs Fire Blast is a 3HKO in Sandstorm). Other Spikers, such as Aerodactyl (??? not a Spiker) or Forretress, are good switch-ins, as neither enjoys STAB Surf. Even Choice Banded Salamence fails to OHKO with his signature Outrage.</p>

The two sets worked amost exactly the same in my experience, but ResTalking was more of a burden than a help, so I relocated it to Other Options, explaining why it was moved there. The EV spread is discussed below.

[Other Options]
<p>Choice Specs Wring Out strips around 45% off a full strength Lanturn and up to 80% from Quagsire, but is rather poor otherwise. Omastar can also run a Rest + Sleep Talk set, but it’s not the greatest choice for such a slow Pokemon. Other than that, Omastar’s move pool is fairly shallow.</p>

[EVs]
<p>If you’re holding anything but a Life Orb, the standard 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe spread maximizes all important stats. If, however, you are using a Life Orb and want to hit that magic Hit Point number, lowering the HP IV to 29 will grant you 279 HP and a few extra hits on your opponent. The Utility set’s EV spread allows Omastar to live through an Adamant Choice Banded Dugtrio Earthquake and score an OHKO with Surf (even without Stealth Rock support), as well as survive a Jolly Life Orb +1 Outrage from DDmence.</p>

Again, damage calculations done on metalkid's, so they're legit. Didn't mention Ice Beam vs DDmence, because it seemed redundant with the Dugtrio comment.

[Team Options]
<p>Omastar’s great, but he really shines in Rain. A great lead Pokemon like Uxie or Electrode in UU and Azelf in OU who are capable of getting Rain Dance set up fast puts Omastar into speed mode- just make sure the rain doesn’t dry up. Sandstorm is also a viable, though less used, weather condition, (viable in UU as well) since he is able to cover the Fire weakness held by many Steel-types with STAB Surf.</p>

<p>Being a Swift Swim Pokemon, the majority of Omastar’s ideal teammates also star on Rain Dance teams. Kabutops picks up the slack on the physical side, but shares every weakness Omastar does. Qwilfish can help set up entry hazards with Omastar and KO Grass-types with STAB Poison attacks, but will add another Ground weakness to your team. Ludicolo is one of the best partners with Omastar in UU and OU, with both Pokemon providing great resistances, while not sharing a single common weakness.</p>

<p>In OU, Kingdra becomes a great ally, resisting or taking neutral damage from all of Omastar’s weaknesses. Omastar, in return, can take care of Dragons with Ice Beam (chances are Kingdra will outspeed any Dragon Omastar can and KO it). Rotom-H or Rotom-W are both good teammates, depending on whether Rain is falling or not. Both block Rapid Spin attempts, but while Rotom-H covers Grass-types with Overheat, Rotom-W can use boosted Hydro Pump and 100% accuracy STAB Thunder.</p>

<p>Omastar has some backing when it comes to defensive pairings. Chansey and Omastar’s foil defensive stats make them a capable duo in UU; just make sure both are out of there when Fighting-types come to play. Clefable also performs similarly to Chansey. Spiritomb boasts immunity to Fighting-type attacks and can stall out many enemies with help from Omastar’s entry hazards. Registeel and Steelix both provide a bulky support group for Omastar; just know that the also both bring another Fighting weakness.</p>

<p>In OU, Bronzong is great when paired with our prehistoric cephalopod. Bronzong boast immunity to Ground, resists Grass-type moves, takes neutral damage from Fighting attacks, and is able to use Rain Dance. In return, Omastar covers Bronzong’s only weakness, Fire, with its dual Water- and Rock-typing. Hippowdon and Tyranitar are both great teammates, since both can activate permanent Sandstorm. Status sponges, such as Starmie and Blissey, are also helpful (and Blissey can provide recovery via Wish).</p>

<p>To effectively use Omastar, you have to be either super offensive (in Rain), or great at predicting (for hazards). Either way, though, Omastar must have great teammates who can cover for his multiple weaknesses.</p>

Followed Aldaron's outline to a "T", so I believe it's complete. If anyone has any better ideas for teammates that I didn't mention, please point them out.

[Opinion]
<p>Omastar may have been dealt a rather poor hand when it comes to typing and movepool, but he does the best he can with what he has. Omastar resides in two niches, both of which play very differently. Being a successful hazard setter or sweeper is difficult, especially when you're so defensively lopsided and slow, and although it may take a bit of prediction to successfully use, as soon as you learn how to switch him in and how much he can manage, our extinct friend here is one capable Pokemon, regardless of tier.</p>

Not much to say here; I just decided to rewrite the Opinion to better reflect how Omastar works in today's metagame.

[Counters]
<p>Omastar's horrid typing makes him susceptible to a multitude of attack types. Roserade and Ludicolo both pack enough punch with their STAB special attacks to OHKO Omastar every time, and even Breloom can overcome his huge base 125 Defense to score OHKOs with Seed Bomb. The move Vacuum Wave also spells doom for Omastar, so Toxicroak and Lucario aren’t welcome guests on the battlefield, either.</p>

<p>Bulky Waters, such as Milotic and Slowbro, don’t fear Hidden Power (Slowbro does, a super effective Hidden Power is a clean 2HKO), and can retaliate with greater force. Vaporeon can absorb Water attacks to replenish her own HP, as well as hit hard with Surf (has more power), so be on your guard. Suicune can use Omastar as set-up fodder, and really has no problem absorbing a Hidden Power, either.</p>

<p>Like all Pokemon who rely on their Special Attack stat to cause damage, Omastar is walled by the pink blobs Chansey and Blissey. Registeel, also, does a fair job of stopping Omastar in its tracks. Our beloved octopus snail also falls to Gardevoir, who can copy Swift Swim with Trace (Porygon2 is likely to be slower still) and wreak havoc on Rain Dance teams. Lack of a reliable recovery move outside of Rest really hurts Omastar as well, and residual damage from status and entry hazards are normally enough to force him into OHKO range for anything.</p>

MetalKid's Damage Calculator was a bit inaccurate last time I checked. Again, you should use double check with Liberadella: http://ownpurpose.com/damage_calculator_test.php

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for going through and picking me apart Eo Ut Mortus. Will update when I wake up tomorrow morning.

And the Aerodactly as a Spiker stemmed from my lack of a better term. I just never found the right word before forgetting about that sentence. ;]

EDIT: Changes made, excluding anything Chris adds.

[Set]
Name: Swift Swim
Move 1: Rain Dance / Earth Power
Move 2: Surf / Hydro Pump
Move 3: Ice Beam
Move 4: Hidden Power Electric / Hidden Power Grass
Item: Life Orb / Damp Rock

[Set Comments]
<p>Omastar has high Special Attack, and with Rain Dance and Swift Swim boosting his Speed, and Life Orb boosting the power of his attacks, he makes an excellent special sweeper, especially in the lower tiers. Surf or Hydro Pump is a simple choice between accuracy and power, while Ice Beam covers Grass-types and destroys Dragon-types like Altaria. (Removed mention of Salamence, as your opening sentence indicates the lower tiers.) Deciding on which Hidden Power you want depends on what Pokémon you want to cover. Hidden Power Grass covers Water/Ground-types, specifically Quagsire and Gastrodon, as well as damaging Lanturn, while Hidden Power Electric takes out Gyarados and other Flying-types you may fear. (Most Flying-types are hit harder by Ice Beam, so perhaps you could change the sentence to "...Gyarados, should you wish to use this set in OU.")</p>

<p>When using Swift Swim Omastar in OU, Earth Power becomes a great addition over Rain Dance, scoring 2HKOs on positively natured 252 HP / 92 SpD Empoleon and the most specially defensive of Tentacruel, without Stealth Rock or Life Orb factored in. If you do replace Rain Dance, go with Life Orb as the held item, and make sure you have other Rain Dancers to keep Swift Swim activated. Hidden Power Electric then becomes the better choice, as it help in taking down Gyarados, who would otherwise wall this set. (You may want to mention that Gyarados can become dangerously lethal if it sets up on Omastar, as it gains an additional STAB thanks to the active rain.)</p>

<p>Having rain already set up will really help get Omastar sweeping, so his greatest allies will be Pokemon who can easily set up Rain Dance. Bulky Pokemon, like Uxie or Ludicolo, are good choices in UU, as both can consistently switch in and set up rain. Electrode and Crobat are also viable additions to your team - just remember that both suffer from fragility. (Crobat is currenly banned from UU, so you may wish to remove mention of it.) OU Pokemon like Bronzong, Kingdra, and Azelf are great in the upper tier, as they provide both coverage from Ground- and Grass-type attacks, and make good Rain Dance partners as well.</p>

Redid the calculatios thanks to Eo Ut Mortus, so they should be fine. Earth Power was one of the moves I used on my OU Omastar, so I felt it deserved a slash-in. The set name was changed, because you would expect a Rain Dance set to always include Rain Dance.

[Set]
Name: Choice Specs
Move 1: Surf / Hydro Pump
Move 2: Ice Beam
Move 3: AncientPower
Move 4: Hidden Power Grass
Item: Choice Specs

[Set Comment]
<p>Omastar’s movepool is only just about good enough to support a Choice Specs set, allowing him to function as a rather slow but powerful hit and run attacker. AncientPower is pretty weak even with STAB, but it does decent damage to Pokemon who can sponge hits from your other attacks, such as Mantine. Hidden Power Grass can be used to take down Bulky Water-type hybrids, including Swampert and Lanturn. (You may want to mention that Lanturn can hit back with a STAB Electric-type attack though.)</p>

<p>Some back up from a Rain Dancer would be really helpful if you're using this set. Having an Omastar with over 400 Speed and firing off attacks from a 540 Special Attack stat with even further boosted STAB Water-type attacks is quite the potent threat.</p>

<p>Again, Rain Dance would be beneficial to this set, as will entry hazards. A Pokemon running off 400 Speed and packing a 540 Special Attack stat isn’t something you want to skip over. Ludicolo does a great job as a switch-in for this set, resisting Electric- and Ground-type attacks, and taking only neutral damage from Grass-type attacks. The dancing pineapple is also a very capable Rain Dancer, and both of its abilities benefit from the rain. Users of Stealth Rock and Spikes, such as Claydol and Roserade, respectively, are also appreciated, as the entry hazards help net OHKOs that would otherwise be impossible. (Which OHKOes are you referring to? You're going to need to provide proof that entry hazards actually helps Omastar.) If you’re looking for someone to absorb the inevitable Grass-type attacks better than Ludicolo does, adding a Flying-type Pokemon, such as Altaria, would be beneficial. If rain isn’t being used, Moltres is an amazing partner, as Air Slash and Fire Blast take down the majority of Omastar’s counters.</p>

[Set]
Name: Utility
Move 1: Surf
Move 2: Spikes / Toxic Spikes
Move 3: Stealth Rock
Move 4: Ice Beam / Knock Off / Protect
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
Nature: Bold
Ev Spread: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD

[Set Comments]
<p>Omastar has awful typing for a defensive Pokémon, but his impressive Defense stat means he can at least switch into Choice Banded Normal-, Flying-, and Fire-type attacks with ease. Once Omastar is in play, set up entry hazards. The choice between Spikes and Toxic Spikes comes down to personal preference. Spikes is suggested as few Pokémon can learn it. Toxic Spikes can be used as an alternative, but is generally a poor choice in UU, where Poison-types run amuck.</p>

<p>The last move slot is influenced by the rest of your team. If you need to cover Dragon- or Grass-types, use Ice Beam. Knock Off is a great support move, stripping your opponent’s Pokemon of many valuable items. Protect is a good stall option, scouting for Choiced Pokemon and providing a turn of Leftovers recovery, as well as racking up poison damage if you opt to use Toxic Spikes.</p>

<p>A spin blocker is a great ally for this set, especially Rotom, who is immune to both Fighting- and Ground-type attacks. Rotom’s ability to add screens or status your foe’s counters will greatly help Omastar, covering his lower Special Defense and horrible Speed, respectively.</p>

<p>It’s worth noting how effective this set is on an OU sandstorm team. The Special Defense boost adds to Omastar’s sturdiness, but be wary of the all-too-frequent Earthquakes (you might want to generalize here to Ground- and Fighting-type attacks). Omastar also makes a great switch-in to Heatran locked into a STAB Fire-type move (Choice Specs Fire Blast is a 3HKO in Sandstorm). Other Pokemon who set up entry hazards, such as Aerodactyl or Forretress, are good switch-ins, as neither enjoy STAB Surf. (This last sentence is a bit confusing, I can't tell what it is you are trying to say.)</p>

The two sets worked amost exactly the same in my experience, but ResTalking was more of a burden than a help, so I relocated it to Other Options, explaining why it was moved there. The EV spread is discussed below. Also removed the bit about Salamence, as he since he's mentioned in the EVs section.

[Other Options]
<p>Choice Specs Wring Out strips around 45% off a full health Lanturn and up to 80% from Quagsire, but is rather poor otherwise. Omastar can also run a Rest + Sleep Talk set, but it’s not the greatest choice for such a slow Pokemon. Other than that, Omastar’s move pool is fairly shallow.</p>

[EVs]
<p>If you’re holding anything but a Life Orb, the standard 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe spread maximizes all important stats. If, however, you are using a Life Orb and want to hit that magic Hit Point number, lowering the HP IV to 29 will grant you 279 HP and a few extra hits on your opponent. The Utility set’s EV spread allows Omastar to live through an Adamant Choice Banded Dugtrio's Earthquake and score an OHKO with Surf (even without Stealth Rock support), as well as survive a Naughty Life Orb +1 Outrage from Dragon Dance Salamence.</p>

Damage calculations were redone using Libelldra's calculator, so they're legit. Didn't mention Ice Beam vs DDmence, because it seemed redundant with the Dugtrio comment.

[Team Options]
<p>Omastar’s great, but he really shines in Rain. A great lead Pokemon, like Uxie or Electrode in UU, and Azelf in OU, who are capable of getting Rain Dance set up fast, puts Omastar into speed mode - just make sure the rain doesn’t dry up. Sandstorm is also a viable, though less used, weather condition, since he is able to cover the Fire-type weakness held by many Steel-types with a STAB Surf.</p>

<p>Being a Swift Swim Pokemon, the majority of Omastar’s ideal teammates also star on Rain Dance teams. Kabutops picks up the slack on the physical side, but shares every weakness Omastar does. Qwilfish can help set up entry hazards with Omastar and KO Grass-types with STAB Poison-type attacks, but will add another Ground-type weakness to your team. Ludicolo is one of the best partners with Omastar in UU and OU, with both Pokemon providing great resistances, while not sharing a single common weakness as well.</p>

<p>In OU, Kingdra becomes a great ally, resisting or taking neutral damage from all of Omastar’s weaknesses. Rotom-H or Rotom-W are both good teammates, depending on whether rain is falling or not. Both block Rapid Spin attempts, but while Rotom-H covers Grass-types with Overheat, Rotom-W can use boosted Hydro Pump and 100% accuracy STAB Thunder. (You might want to mention Tyranitar as a possible liability though.)</p>

<p>Omastar has some backing when it comes to defensive pairings. Chansey and Omastar’s foil defensive stats make them a capable duo in UU; just make sure both are out of there when Fighting-types come to play. Clefable also performs similarly to Chansey. Spiritomb boasts immunity to Fighting-type attacks and can stall out many enemies with help from Omastar’s entry hazards. Registeel and Steelix both provide a bulky support group for Omastar - just know that both bring another Fighting-type (and Ground-type?) weakness.</p>

<p>In OU, Bronzong is great when paired with our prehistoric cephalopod. Bronzong boast immunity to Ground, resists Grass-type moves, takes neutral damage from Fighting-type attacks, and is able to use Rain Dance. In return, Omastar covers Bronzong’s only weakness, Fire, with its dual Water- and Rock-typing. Hippowdon and Tyranitar are both great teammates, since both can activate permanent sandstorm. Status sponges, such as Starmie and Blissey, are also helpful (and Blissey can provide recovery via Wish).</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Omastar may have been dealt a rather poor hand when it comes to typing and movepool, but he does the best he can with what he has. Omastar resides in two niches, both of which play very differently. Being a successful hazard setter or sweeper is difficult, especially when you're so defensively lopsided and slow, and although it may take a bit of prediction to successfully use, as soon as you learn how to switch him in and how much he can manage, our extinct friend here is one capable Pokemon, regardless of the tier he's in.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Omastar's horrid typing makes him susceptible to a multitude of attacking types. Roserade and Ludicolo both pack enough punch with their STAB special attacks to OHKO Omastar every time, and even Breloom can overcome his huge base 125 Defense to score OHKOs with Seed Bomb. The move Vacuum Wave also spells doom for Omastar, so Toxicroak and Lucario aren’t welcome guests on the battlefield either.</p>

<p>Bulky Water-types, such as Milotic, don’t fear Hidden Power, and can retaliate with greater force. Vaporeon can absorb Water-type attacks to replenish her own HP, as well as hit hard with Surf, so be on your guard. Suicune can use Omastar as set-up fodder, and really has no problem absorbing a Hidden Power either.</p>

<p>Like all Pokemon who rely on their Special Attack stat to cause damage, Omastar is walled by the pink blobs Chansey, in UU, and Blissey, in OU. Registeel also does a fair job of stopping Omastar in its tracks. Our beloved octopus snail also falls to Tracers, such as Gardevoir, who can copy Swift Swim and wreak havoc on Rain Dance teams. Lack of a reliable recovery move outside of Rest really hurts Omastar as well, and residual damage from status and entry hazards are normally enough to force him into OHKO range for anything.</p>

I think the reason your previous thread might have been locked was that you did not use the proper format for writing this update.

The format is as follows:

[SET]*
name:
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
ability:
nature:
evs:
ivs: (optional)

[SET COMMENTS]*

* Keep this part capitalized
** Note here that everything in left lowercase on purpose

Make sure the fix the indicated tags, and I'll proofread the update for you.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The format is wrong. You have to follow it exactly.

Omastar can also run a Rest + Sleep Talk set, but it’s not the greatest choice for such a slow Pokemon.

What does Speed have anything to do with Rest and Sleep Talk?

There are many references to OU when there should not be as Omastar is pretty bad in OU. Very bad.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
The format is wrong. You have to follow it exactly.

What does Speed have anything to do with Rest and Sleep Talk?

There are many references to OU when there should not be as Omastar is pretty bad in OU. Very bad.
I fixed my formatting, if there's anything else you see let me know.

Will remove the Speed comment, although the reasoning behind adding it was because I found Omastar was so frail that many Pokemon were able to KO Omastar in his sleep before he was able to even use Sleep Talk.

And I used Omastar with great success in OU. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have had so many OU mentions.

"Team Options", "Other Options", "EVs", "Opinion", and "Counters" is left uncapitalized, or rather, type it as I just did when inside the brackets.

Solidly good edit. You could have added more in Other Options (especially about Brine), but I added that in for you. Good job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)