Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaining an incredibly powerful STAB in Double Edge is just about the biggest buff Salamence could hope for. It doesn't need priority as it can boost its speed with Dragon Dance.
I don't think there are many sweepers that "don't need" priority. Priority is everywhere in the meta game. Moves, abilities, status, priority is increasingly important.

It's not going to matter if you can dragon dance if you take an ice shard or prankster wisp or twave to the face.

Again, I haven't said that Salamence won't benefit from aerilate, I just don't believe it's going to be the god send that some people are making it out to be especially not as it's use has been suggested so far.

This is speculation but judging on the loss of arms in the design and Mences higher special attack I think we're looking at a special attack boost over a physical one. If that's the case Hyper voice is going to mean so much more than double edge ever could. Aerilate Mence could be the new specs Mence.

Dunno why people want Altaria to gain huge attack boosts when considering its versatility it isn't going to necessarily have a bad stat distribution. It doesn't have to go the offensive route and can very easily stick to being more defensively inclined with slightly more passable offenses, but hey it has Pixilate + Return/Double Edge ontop of recovery and Dragon Dance so even without big offensive boosts it does have enough going for it to be a moderate threat. Defensive wise... I don't think we have any problems with a support Altaria since at the end of the day that is a pretty good niche right there with that defensive typing and with Pixilate+Hyper Voice/Return/Double Edge to not make it set up fodder or dead weight. Being a mega defensive/support mega with a reliable means of recovery is a pretty big thing, much in the same way that having an offensive boost option with DD is just as good. Overall, I am pretty excited over Mega-Altaria, while I can't say much about Mence since that is likely to be banned in singles and I am not a doubles player.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Okay: So for Salamence does still have front legs. They are tucked up inside its super aerodynamic metal body peice. It never had particularly sturdy arms and legs anyway.

He also looks fucking awesome. Love the decision they took with the design to have those big flat wings sweep out and forwards. He's even ended up with stabaliser canards on the front of the design. Very cool.

I'm disapointed about lopunny not receiving a monumental attack boost, considering it has a really good physical movepool. I'm not really sure about her design though. Just gone the Mienshao route. Mega Altaria is exactly how I expected. I hope it gets good buffs to its defences and can become a real threat in terms of being able to take on pretty much anything it wants with its unique typing.

The main thing coming out of this is does this mean that A) New Pokemon have been added to the Hoenn Dex (Like Buneary) and B) Does it mean we get more mega stones during the story?

I don't think there are many sweepers that "don't need" priority. Priority is everywhere in the meta game. Moves, abilities, status, priority is increasingly important.

It's not going to matter if you can dragon dance if you take an ice shard or prankster wisp or twave to the face.

Again, I haven't said that Salamence won't benefit from aerilate, I just don't believe it's going to be the god send that some people are making it out to be especially not as it's use has been suggested so far.

This is speculation but judging on the loss of arms in the design and Mences higher special attack I think we're looking at a special attack boost over a physical one. If that's the case Hyper voice is going to mean so much more than double edge ever could. Aerilate Mence could be the new specs Mence.
I think you are right about DragonDance being not that helpful for Salamence anymore. But as a Stallbreaker it will be hilarious. It will be very hard to switch something into this monster and it will lure out the Scarf/ Priority Gangster on your opponents team to try and revenge. Will be good on balanced offense with some bulky Pokemon to switch into those wannabe revengekillers.

Also, I love MegaSalamence design a lot so supernatural so out of space. Its hobbies are sky racing against the Latis, looking cool and not caring for a place to roost :)

I just can't fathom why Lopunny would get a SpAtk boost. It would need at least +40 to be anything less than terrible. And even then it would still be useless. Unless they give it Boomburst or something.

Reactions: PME
-snip-
and B) Does it mean we get more mega stones during the story?
It looks like a step towards that direction. I've been dying to see a mega Typholosion and Feraligatr for a long time now.

Going back to the new reveals, as much as I would want to complain about Mega Salamence's appearance, I think I would use it anyway since I would want to be experimental to the point that I would go out and use every pokemon I can get my hands on. I do however love the fact that Game Freak gives nice abilities and type changes in the mega evolutions.

I think mega altaria is the best looking one out of the three though even if it just turned lighter and gained more facial err...hair (like mega "l'oreal" ampharos). I especially love its new typing, I wonder if it would be popular enough to influence the usage of that type.

On the side, I still have no idea why they didn't reveal mega l@tiases yet, I want a sugimori art of those. :/

I just can't fathom why Lopunny would get a SpAtk boost. It would need at least +40 to be anything less than terrible. And even then it would still be useless. Unless they give it Boomburst or something.
Or it could just be a 10/20boost. Maybe +60atk, +20sp.atk, +10def, and +10spd? We won't know how good/bad megabunny is until we get the games so no need to freak out.
Btw, Is it just me or are there a lot of fighting typed megas?

Or it could just be a 10/20boost. Maybe +60atk, +20sp.atk, +10def, and +10spd? We won't know how good/bad megabunny is until we get the games so no need to freak out.
Btw, Is it just me or are there a lot of fighting typed megas?
we currently have:

1 ice mega
2 normal megas
2 poison megas
2 electric megas
2 ground megas
3 water megas
3 rock megas
3 bug megas
3 grass megas
3 ghost megas
4 fire megas
4 flying megas
4 fairy megas
5 dark megas
5 steel megas
6 fighting megas
8 psychic megas
8 dragon megas

Aerow

rebel
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Lopunny's design looks awesome, maybe one of my favorite megas. Scrappy is a decent ability I guess, and will be interesting to see if it will get any other new moves than High Jump Kick. Mega Altaria looks pretty cool too, and a Fairy/Dragon-typing sounds awesome. 70/70 offenses which normal Altaria has now isn't very impressive, but a little stat buff + Pixilate should be enough to make it decent offensively too. Maybe it's just me, but Mega Salamence looks completely terrible. But I guess it will be good with Aerilate.

I Love all of their designs; Salamence actually makes sense, if you look at it from a darwinistic point of view, given how many Bagon must have jumped to their deaths before that head and spinal support came into play, just to be able to fly. Lopunny is so cute, and Altaria so cuddly!

Anyway, it seems that this Lucia character explains why we have Wallace as a gym leader, and not as a Contest mentor, which would actually fit into the cannon of both the Anime and the Manga. Still though, at least we get to dress up in some sense, even if it is just for contests.

Mega-Salamence: How does it even eat? Is it trying to be cool and intimidating, because all I can think of is it being the epitomy of that cicada block meme.

Mega-Lopunny: I actually kind of like it. Dat tiny, tiny neck though.

Mega-Altaria: "Behold, plebians! Gaze upon my clouds, and despair!" Also, yay, Fairy/Dragon. Nicetastic.

Contest chick looks cool inb4 shes a meloetta. Though I hope Pikachu isn't the only Pokemon who can go into battle all dressed up. Also, that Beldum at the bottom is terrifying me.

I SEE YOU

Actually, I hadn't seen Lucia before. Now that I have, I have say, she looks kind of like she could be Wallace's sister, which wouldn't actually be a bad thing.

Here's a genuine opinion on all the new megas so far.
Altaria: We finally get a Dragon/Fairy type, which is something I would assume we have all wanted for quite a while. His fantastic typing which gives him only three weakness and a ton of resistances makes some people think that he's going to play a defensive role, but I think quite the opposite. You think is he were to be defensive, he would keep Natural Cure or gain a new ability that complements being a tanky as possible. I think he's going to play a more offensive role. Dragon and Fairy gives really great type coverage, except against steel-types. However, he does get a few fire moves, which should help out. The design is alright, if you just look at just the head he looks like some sort of old wizard, which makes me think he's primarily going to get a special attack buff.

Lopunny: Scrappy will make her a lot more viable as she now gains the ability to counter a lot of ghosts in the game. I'd assume that she also gains a lot of attack and speed, so much so to make her a lot more useful in higher tiers. This will also add a very unique playstyle aside from what she normally runs nowadays. Is it a physical set or one of those gimmicky item passing sets? Players asking questions like this then sequential losing because they guessed wrong is the reason some megas jumped up a tier or two. I never liked her design before but this makes her look like some sort of women's boxing champion, which is pretty neat. I also just noticed that this is a new mega-evolution of a gen 4 Pokemon. I had this feeling that these games were going to do what the gen 2 remakes did and not change what you encountered, pretty much locking off half the available Pokemon until you reach postgame. The fact that they are advertising a gen 4 mega that you will most likely be able to obtain makes me think that they are going to chance that, which I really like.

Salamence: I'm going to be blunt, I don't like his design. He ditches his arms for goofy wings that make me want to throw him like a boomerang. Salamence can go mixed as of now however I think that's going to change when we finally get to play around with this guy. This is because I think the wings look like blades, which in turn will probably have him net a big attack boost when he mega evolves. He has a pretty good movepool both physically and specially, but this mega will further enforce his power physical arsenal. I am however worried that this might make him too good. If any mega is going to be banned to ubers next it's probably going to be this. I mean, it's Salamence!

Here's a genuine opinion on all the new megas so far.
Altaria: We finally get a Dragon/Fairy type, which is something I would assume we have all wanted for quite a while. His fantastic typing which gives him only three weakness and a ton of resistances makes some people think that he's going to play a defensive role, but I think quite the opposite. You think is he were to be defensive, he would keep Natural Cure or gain a new ability that complements being a tanky as possible. I think he's going to play a more offensive role. Dragon and Fairy gives really great type coverage, except against steel-types. However, he does get a few fire moves, which should help out. The design is alright, if you just look at just the head he looks like some sort of old wizard, which makes me think he's primarily going to get a special attack buff.

Lopunny: Scrappy will make her a lot more viable as she now gains the ability to counter a lot of ghosts in the game. I'd assume that she also gains a lot of attack and speed, so much so to make her a lot more useful in higher tiers. This will also add a very unique playstyle aside from what she normally runs nowadays. Is it a physical set or one of those gimmicky item passing sets? Players asking questions like this then sequential losing because they guessed wrong is the reason some megas jumped up a tier or two. I never liked her design before but this makes her look like some sort of women's boxing champion, which is pretty neat. I also just noticed that this is a new mega-evolution of a gen 4 Pokemon. I had this feeling that these games were going to do what the gen 2 remakes did and not change what you encountered, pretty much locking off half the available Pokemon until you reach postgame. The fact that they are advertising a gen 4 mega that you will most likely be able to obtain makes me think that they are going to chance that, which I really like.

Salamence: I'm going to be blunt, I don't like his design. He ditches his arms for goofy wings that make me want to throw him like a boomerang. Salamence can go mixed as of now however I think that's going to change when we finally get to play around with this guy. This is because I think the wings look like blades, which in turn will probably have him net a big attack boost when he mega evolves. He has a pretty good movepool both physically and specially, but this mega will further enforce his power physical arsenal. I am however worried that this might make him too good. If any mega is going to be banned to ubers next it's probably going to be this. I mean, it's Salamence!
I believe mega altaria has 4 weaknesses iirc. Fairy, ice, poison, and steel. But on the topic of mega altaria, I've been waiting for a fairy type with ground coverage outside of HP ground since the release of X/Y, and now there is one (Pixilate normal attacks and earthquake). I know what mega altaria set I'll be using competitively (and in game if the mega stone is available before E4 plz).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)