Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
That makes sense in light of the article I posted, where Watanabe and Sugimori reference a lot of younger staff members feeling like the Pokemon games weren't "theirs" and letting them brainstorm side projects.

Battle Factory gen 6 - teaching a new generation of younglings what true fear means. Jesus, every facility will just become insane with the ridiculous shit that has been introduced in the two generation gap since having a proper Battle Frontier. I preferred the Emerald facilities to the Plat/HGSS ones because they actually had insane funhouse-style mechanics where you can't spam Mence or Chomp / Registeel or Latias / another pseudo legendary or legendary filler to win.
Just imagine Pike Queen Lucy with Infestation/Toxic/Rest/Double Team Shuckle.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Do you think they could add anything to the Battle Frontier (if they make it)? I'm interested to see what they could add/change to the old one. Maybe the Pyramid won't be as bad?

If anything, I hope that they keep the Battle Factory as close as possible to the original. It was seriously the best. Pre-randbats imo.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Do you think they could add anything to the Battle Frontier (if they make it)? I'm interested to see what they could add/change to the old one. Maybe the Pyramid won't be as bad?

If anything, I hope that they keep the Battle Factory as close as possible to the original. It was seriously the best. Pre-randbats imo.
If anything, I hope they keep the random prebattle phrases:

TrollFreak Remembers: Red and Blue Orbs.
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet (Mostly cause I'm too lazy to read through 17 pages of OMG GROUDERNN KYOOGGREHHH), but does anyone think these two orbs might be needed to Mega Evolve Groudon and Kyogre?... //shot

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I wonder what to expect from these remakes. Sevii was a really poor choice imo, as they left almost everything the same in Kanto (adding some cosmetic differences that looked really bad imo, such as the Pokédex), while HGSS did a great work of incorporating new things, while at the same time not touching the worst issues with Johto (shit Gym rosters, poor Johtomon distribution, lack of NPC trainers everywhere). I think RSE were great games so even if they don't change much I'd be fine, but of course they will change something and, if they really hear their older fanbase, it might have... horrible consequences. Like shrinking the ocean. Please no.

Sugimori or someone from GF actually stated they were thinking rebalancing Parental Bond since VGCs made it pretty obviously broken. I wouldn't count out anything from them yet.
W-what? I'm pretty sure GF had said pre-release there would be no balance patches. Do you have any source for that?

It's very likely that there are megas in the game - isn't Steven supposed to be a collector of "rare stones"?
Steven will find new Mega Stones from outer space that fell in Meteor Falls, and one of them will be Metagrosite. If you believed in Fairies, you will also believe me.

I'm hoping for new types for Mega Groudon and Kyogre.

Looking at the cover, my guess is:

Mega Groudon: Ground / Fire
Mega Kyogre: Water / Electric

A Ground weakness for Kyogre would be ideal since they're supposed to be fighting and stuff but the truth is that Kyogre shits all over Groudon. With new types, Groudon can hit Kyogre with STAB SE Earthquake ftw.
Yep, I was betting on that too. That Kyogre artwork doesn't seem too Electric-type to me, though... but Groudon is almost literally vomiting lava, he can't NOT be part-Fire lol.

Speaking of berries, maybe this is what nintendo meant about getting berries from other regions. Im sure there will be more berries released in these games.
Yep, there are a couple berries (Cornn, Magost, etc) that cannot be obtained without cheating, and they were all only useful for making Pokéblocks/Poffins. Weirdly enough, their flavour text mentions... Unova... instead of their home region.

If all past experience is anything to go by, new abilities are highly unlikely. Since no such abilities exist in the coding of X/Y, (...)
But are we sure they don't exist? The PC search doesn't matter because we know special moves (Light of Ruin, Hold Back, etc) don't appear already, and I haven't heard of anyone actually checking whether there were new abilities or at least "blank space" for them.

Regardless, they could simply make K/G's Mega Stones work as super Damp/Heat Rocks lol.

Never underestimate Nintendo's ability to power creep. I was one of the people who thought mega evolutions would be mostly cosmetic or make token changes. I was wrong. So, power creep gonna happen.
This is something alarming, in fact. I don't like this "power creep" argument too much whenever a new gen is released, but it can be sensibly observed once the "third games" are released. Just look at DP and BW1, even with all the high-powered shit going on in the beginning of those generations, by the time the new games were about to be released, we'd managed to balance them (see: Garchomp banned, BW1 Rain actually getting manageable). Whatever we do from now until November, all will be thrown out of the window by ORAS' move tutors, unreleased legendaries and possible new MegaEvos.

HOWEVER, if Game Freak really has acknowledged Parental Bond might need some balancing in the near future... Who knows. They might have learned their lesson for once.

Something that hasn't been brought up yet, but....what kind of development cycles is Gamefreak running on?
There's Team A and Team B since... RSE, I think. They are always working on new games; A releases a pair, then comes B, then A and so on. I'm not sure now, but iirc A released BW1 while B were working on "Gray"... then dearest Satoru Iwata said Game Freak had to either move on to the 3DS, or make something new. As only A had had access to 3DS's devkits and B were working on the DS already, they changed their plans and made BW2 instead. A then released XY and B most likely was working on ORAS.

Which means A is either working on "Z/XY2", or on 6th Gen already. Or maybe they now have a Team C, but I doubt it.

And finally, THREAD BATTLEPOSTING THEME:

...huh. That does make me think how HAs will be incorporated into ORAS. I'm curious to see what method they'll use to allow us access to them in these remakes.
I'm guessing the Safari Zone, but if the Strange Souvenir guy is any indication, it's entirely possible that a brand-new region will either 1) be the setting of the game, or 2) be some kind of place that you can travel to in the game, like Kanto and Johto in HGSS.

Aren't these games confirmed to be remakes?
True (so that admittedly eliminates the possibility of the new region as the base setting), but then how do you explain things like the Strange Souvenir dude and the fact that, in the announcement trailer, they make direct reference to exploring a whole new world (or whatever the exact wording was)?

True (so that admittedly eliminates the possibility of the new region as the base setting), but then how do you explain things like the Strange Souvenir dude and the fact that, in the announcement trailer, they make direct reference to exploring a whole new world (or whatever the exact wording was)?
Maybe as a Sevii Islands type deal or maybe foreshadowing the next game? (Munna was foreshadowed 13 years earlier, possibly unintentionally)

Honestly, why is this? Mewtwo got a mega, so should Mew? I don't get why one starter getting a mega should mean that the rest should. It would be nice, but it doesn't "make sense" for the others to have them too. Tbh I'm going to pick Treecko because that's who I've always picked. It's just personal in the long run, IMO.
Honestly me too (Treecko all the way), but I think it's for more of a feeling of like overall fairness between the starters. Even in gens where one starter is LOADS better than the others (IE Greninja, Infernape), it's never quite intentional, and the devs usually try to establish a feeling of at least in-game balance with them.

TBH, it wouldn't make any sense for Blaziken to be the only one with a MegaEvo. I think it's safe to assume we can see them for Sceptile and Swampert too. IMO it just seems like a logical design choice.

I'd like to see Mega Rayquaza also, but it might be just a fusion since you can see arrows from both Kyogre and Groudon to Rayquaza -> "Mega" Rayquaza which are slightly different from the "Mega Evolution arrows" of the Hoenn starters :(

Edit: I also don't see the katakana for mega
Oh err you're referring to that one Famitsu scan in my post right? Lol sorry that was fake. Famitsu hasn't had time to write an article on the games when they were just released, much less publish it. =w=

EDIT:
Maybe as a Sevii Islands type deal or maybe foreshadowing the next game? (Munna was foreshadowed 13 years earlier, possibly unintentionally)
I think that was unintentional, lol. (Rather, IIRC, I heard that Munna's design was based off of that girl's comments.)
It's totally possible, but I think it makes more sense for them to be hinting at a more immediate project than a long-term one. By the time something like that comes out way later, people who played XY might have lost interest and moved on already, who knows.

Battle Factory gen 6 - teaching a new generation of younglings what true fear means. Jesus, every facility will just become insane with the ridiculous shit that has been introduced in the two generation gap since having a proper Battle Frontier. I preferred the Emerald facilities to the Plat/HGSS ones because they actually had insane funhouse-style mechanics where you can't spam Mence or Chomp / Registeel or Latias / another pseudo legendary or legendary filler to win.
I totally agree! :D For all the ways that Emerald DIDN'T differentiate itself and make itself more interesting than Ruby and Sapphire, Emerald's Battle Frontier remains to date my favorite one and the most fun overall.

(Incidentally tho I totally did spam Mence and Metagross in there lol)

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
That strange souvenir guy isnt all that strange when you think about it. Hes saying that he has visited a region that we dont know about yet. That doesnt mean that the next game will feature this new region. It just means that there are more regions to come which is pretty much a no brainer. Him saying that he visits new regions is just a way of nintendo saying that pokemon isnt going anywhere anytime soon and that they will continue pumping out new gens. At least thats what I think it means.

The original Ruby and Sapphire were the first games in the series to provide us with what is most likely one of the most used items of all time: the Running Shoes. I wonder what will become of X and Y's roller skates in these games, as I have heard they have caused some people problems. Any thoughts on this?

That strange souvenir guy isnt all that strange when you think about it. Hes saying that he has visited a region that we dont know about yet. That doesnt mean that the next game will feature this new region. It just means that there are more regions to come which is pretty much a no brainer. Him saying that he visits new regions is just a way of nintendo saying that pokemon isnt going anywhere anytime soon and that they will continue pumping out new gens. At least thats what I think it means.
As you say, it's pretty much a no brainer that new Pokemon games-- and thus new regions-- will continue to be made at least as long as Pokemon is doing financially well. Why, then, would they make such a point of having a character to talk all about it...? Furthermore, the ORAS announcement trailer blatantly says 'Explore a dramatic new world!' You could interpret this as advertising hyperbole, and I suppose that's pretty likely, but an extra/additional region could be possible, I think.

The original Ruby and Sapphire were the first games in the series to provide us with what is most likely one of the most used items of all time: the Running Shoes. I wonder what will become of X and Y's roller skates in these games, as I have heard they have caused some people problems. Any thoughts on this?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As you say, it's pretty much a no brainer that new Pokemon games-- and thus new regions-- will continue to be made at least as long as Pokemon is doing financially well. Why, then, would they make such a point of having a character to talk all about it...? Furthermore, the ORAS announcement trailer blatantly says 'Explore a dramatic new world!' You could interpret this as advertising hyperbole, and I suppose that's pretty likely, but an extra/additional region could be possible, I think.
Tbh I think you're thinking about connections waaayy too much. They could drop subtle hints here and there, too. There's defnitely examples of this (possibly the Munna thing in RBY). Right now, I think it's just them saying, "Yeah, we're going to make new games, but we're going to invoke creativity and thought in the new playerbase so they will enjoy the next region so much more."

However, thinking about it more, you both could be right. It could be them saying that there will be a new game, and it could also be there for the new generation of fans. There's a lot to draw out of it, but I don't think we should think too hard on it, really. It's not like it dropped a hint on any game-changing aspects or something.

It seems like I'm a hypocrite, but I'm directing the "thinking too hard" point mainly at

Why, then, would they make such a point of having a character to talk all about it...?
It's just something they could have done for fun, or something that they did for the new generation. I don't think directing the line of speech into "They didn't HAVE to do this so IT'S A DIRECT HINT GUYS."

sorry if this seems worded weird or something. im p tired and ill get off now.

The first time I realized there were roller skates in XY, I sort of got a mini orgasm. I seriously hope they include it in ORAS- who doesn't want to roller skate on a volcano, on the treetops or an abandoned ship?

Galladium

Banned deucer.
Or, he could just be saying that the character hasn't visited the region, as in the character the player is controlling. The player themselves may have visited Hoenn (by playing RSE), but not the character the guy is talking to.

If they do add the Frontier, then I want Battle Factory back from Soul Silver. Randomized teams were so addicting!

Reactions: PME
Gen 3 is actually my least favorite generation, but I'm pretty excited for this game because of how dramatically Pokemon has changed since then. I mean, the physical-special split, fairy type, and solid stabs for most Pokemon mean this is going to play dramatically different than the last time. The Azurill line is going to be a beast, for instance. Sableye, Roselia and Crawdaunt are usable now and Mawile could be overpowered depending on megastone availability.

Speaking of which, considering you first meet Steven in a cave where two Mega lines reside, I have a feeling you'll have access to the megastones at some point during the main game.

TBH, it wouldn't make any sense for Blaziken to be the only one with a MegaEvo. I think it's safe to assume we can see them for Sceptile and Swampert too. IMO it just seems like a logical design choice.
People were saying the same thing for X/Y when Mega-Blaziken was first revealed, along with
It wouldn't make any sense for Charizard to be the only one with two MegaEvos. I think it's safe to assume we can see two for Venusaur and Blastoise too.
and
It wouldn't make any sense for Mawile to be the only one with a MegaEvo. I think it's safe to assume we can see one for Sableye too.
While I'm sure everyone would love for Mega-Sceptile to go the way of Ampharos, Mega-Swampert to get Sap Sipper, and Mega-whatever to turn their favourite mon from barely usable in-game to top of OU, there isn't anything to suggest that we'll be getting mega Hoenn starters in these games, especially since Mega-Evolution is supposed to be this completely new thing recently discovered in Kalos, and previous remakes have tried to keep new mons limited to the postgame (HG/SS didn't stop Lickitung/Piloswine/Yanma from evolving, but did completely block Leafeon/Glaceon/Magnezone/Probapass evolutions in the game).

The question I have is: how are they going to handle Berries? The Pokeblock berries introduced in Ruby/Sapphire (such as the Watmel) were included in the X/Y data with an exact copy of the 5th gen description ("A Berry which is very rare in the Unova region. A maniac will buy it for a high price."), if they bring them back for ORAS they'll need to make them untradeable or issue a compatability patch for X/Y (both of which seem weird considering they could have just put a generic "A Berry which is very rare in the Kalos region" description for them in the first place).

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Serebii updated with this:
It has been confirmed through a trailer on TV that Japanese variety show, Pokémon Get☆TV is to showcase world exclusive first footage of the upcoming games Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire this weekend in the episode airing on Sunday May 11th at 07:30 JST. It's not known what the footage will contain but we'll provide details as soon as possible.

I think we'll be seeing more mega evos, aside from the fact that the cover legends are getting new forms I think we some evidence based on what we already know. Think about the megas that we already have and then compare them to mega lati@s. You're taking two pokemon with different appearances, make them look exactly alike and even give them the same awful color? I think mega Lati@s is an unfinished product. What we're seeing is not what both of them are meant to look like, it's just as far as they got before the game shipped.

With new potential megas for Kyogre, Groudon revealed and a potentially polished lati on the way I can see the other two starters getting a mega evolution. I'd say that they just didn't have one before because GF was focused on the favorites and pokemon that actually played a part in the game.

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm hoping if Mega Groudon/Kyogre is true that they get Chlorophyll and Swift Swim respectively. They'd be too Uber for Ubers.
Thats what I hope for too! Perhaps groudon could get an synonymous ability relating to cold blooded lizards to fit more flavourwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)