Tournament OMPL V - Week 2

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head

Other Metagames Premier League V - Week 2
>> SCHEDULE <<
>> STANDINGS <<
>> INFORMATION <<
How this works
Each team will have have 6 players and at least 2 subs. The players are bought using the 80 credits that managers receive during the auction. The roster this season include: Almost Any Ability, Anything Goes, Balanced Hackmons, Mix and Mega, Monotype, and Sketchmons. Teams can win their matchup every week by winning 4 of the 6 matches that their players have to play.​

Beating another team gives you 2 points, drawing the match gives you 1 point, and losing it gives you nothing. In addition, the manner in which you win will also be stored; that is, how many you won vs how many you lost. The two teams with the highest points at the end of week 5 will play in the finals.​

Tiebreaker
Every week's winning team will be given 2 points, ties will give 1 and loss will give 0. This is how it's going to progress and finally the teams with the 2 highest total points will duke it out in finals week. In the event of 2 teams being tied for the finals spot, we will have a tiebreaker round.

Tiebreaker round rules: The most played meta from usage stats plus one metagame picked by each manager will give a best-of-three game between the tied teams, ultimately deciding who goes onto finals.​

Trades
If teams wish to conduct a trade, both managers (or assistant managers if the manager is not present) MUST PM antemortem on the FORUMS to have the trade be official. No trades may occur after the conclusion of week 2.
Scheduling
Scheduling should be done on VM walls, plain and simple, and I'd like to exaggerate the importance of this. If there is no communication on VM walls and a game goes undone, it will be left to the RNG to decide the winner. If there is communication on only one user's behalf, the win will go to them. If there is a very healthy back and forth regarding potential times and one user is a no-show, a manager may take the opportunity to sub out the no-show competitor; if this is not done, the user that showed up responsibly will be awarded the win. Case in point: VM your opponents, schedule your matches, and be reliable. If you're not reliable, let your manager know so they can sub you out ASAP.
Sportsmanship
Exhibitions of unsportsmanlike conduct with regards to Other Metagame Premier League will be met with an infraction at the discretion of the OMPL host/OM mods. This is unlikely to include interactions within a team's private chat unless there is reason found to make an exception. This rule is meant to protect other users from being publicly flamed/bashed/provoked by another competitor for the duration of and following the tournament.​

On Deadline & Match Completion
All players must complete their matches by 11:59 on July 20th, 2017. Any incomplete matches by that time will be subject to activity decision (MAKE SURE YOU POST ON YOUR OPPONENT'S VM WALL IN AMPLE TIME TO SCHEDULE); otherwise, they will be decided via !pick publicly in the OM Room. All matches should ideally be done on your most notable alt (the one you registered for OMPL with) to avoid confusion and the replay must be saved and posted in this thread. The replays will be archived in the OMPL General Thread, and we will use them to calculate usage stats.

On Substitutions & Lineups
Managers, if you wish to make any substitutions, you must post here tagging both the player you're subbing out, the player you're subbing in, the manager and assistant manager of the opposing team, the substitute's opponent, and myself. This is to assure that everyone is in-the-loop and that the OP is updated accordingly to reflect the new match-up.

Managers, when you send in lineups, please send it in with the tier and Smogon username of each player fully written out (as shown below) for ease of transcription.

Matchups

The Bedroom Blisseys (The Immortal / E4 Flint) VS (Uselesscrab / Peef Rimgar) The Accelerating Aegiblades

4-2 | 2-4

Almost Any Ability: Laxpras VS iLlama
Anything Goes: Fardin VS Chloe.
Balanced Hackmons: E4 Flint VS TheBurgerKing99 (Halliday)
Mix and Mega: Mark_K VS Quantum Tesseract
Monotype: Leru VS Eien
Sketchmons: The Ruins of Alpha VS Megazard

The Five-Star Jolteons (Ransei / ScarfWynaut) VS (Eevee General / rozes) The King Kois

5-1 | 1-5

Almost Any Ability: The Official Glyx VS rozes
Anything Goes: Salvation VS Yuga42 (erotic pigeons)
Balanced Hackmons: morogrim VS fsk
Mix and Mega: InfernapeTropius11 VS ihhca (Virginia)
Monotype: DBW VS HNBL
Sketchmons: Official Fissure VS darksylvion (geerat)

The Untitled Unfezants (Bondie / Dream Eater Gengar) VS (Pikachuun / OM room) The Optimistic Mimikyus

4-2 | 2-4

Almost Any Ability: Jordn VS motherlove
Anything Goes: Thimo VS Catalystic
Balanced Hackmons: jasprose VS aki0s
Mix and Mega: Akashi (jeran) VS Funbot28
Monotype: Wanka VS Lax
Sketchmons: wishes VS sin(pi)

Last edited:
predicts?

Balanced Hackmons: morogrim VS fsk
Mix and Mega: InfernapeTropius11 VS ihhca (Virginia)
Monotype: DBW VS Sabella
Sketchmons: Official Fissure VS darksylvion

Almost Any Ability: Jordn VS motherlove
Balanced Hackmons: jasprose VS aki0s
Mix and Mega: Akashi (jeran) VS Funbot28
Monotype: Wanka VS Lax
Sketchmons: wishes VS sin(pi)

Monotype: 1 True Lycan VS Eien: should be good but i feel like eien takes this one
Monotype: DBW VS Sabella: as much as i wanna see dbw prove himself, i don't see him winning this lol
Monotype: Wanka VS Lax: could go either way though

go team!!

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Well following the trend, I guess I'll do AAA , also because people say it's fun:

Almost Any Ability: Laxpras VS iLlama : Hard to see AAA TL losing this, specially since he did play really well first week.
Almost Any Ability: The Official Glyx VS rozes : Fam we have OM Player of the Year.
Almost Any Ability: Jordn VS motherlove : Highlight match imo. Gonna go with jrdn here, considering he is more associated with AAA rn(even though motherlove says he got reqs), but ye he won't have it easy.

Almost Any Ability: Laxpras VS iLlama -laxpras for the win
Anything Goes: Fardin VS Chloe. - I probably overestimate fardin but i think he's good. Chloe has heat teams tho
Balanced Hackmons: E4 Flint VS TheBurgerKing99 (Halliday) - esteemed TL
Mix and Mega: Mark_K VS Quantum Tesseract - unless fardin has tutored mark k enough, which i doubt
Monotype: 1 True Lycan VS Eien - eien kicked my ass in monotype seasonal
Sketchmons: The Ruins of Alpha VS Megazard - esteemed OMGS winner vs trash user? no contest

Almost Any Ability: The Official Glyx VS rozes - honestly have no idea
Anything Goes: Salvation VS Yuga42 (erotic pigeons) - but who willingly chooses the name erotic pigeons
Balanced Hackmons: morogrim VS fsk - gotta hand it to morogrim because pepa said he would win
Mix and Mega: InfernapeTropius11 VS ihhca (Virginia) - it11 is overpay but srry virginia
Monotype: DBW VS Sabella - who is dbw??
Sketchmons: Official Fissure VS darksylvion (geerat) - sketch god

Almost Any Ability: Jordn VS motherlove - jordn is free wins and motherlove is a teambuilder
Anything Goes: Thimo VS Catalystic - will cata pull off an upset like he did last week? can he beat the ultimate bobo?
Balanced Hackmons: jasprose VS aki0s - jasprose
Mix and Mega: Akashi (jeran) VS Funbot28 - Jeran is really good - you're all sleeping on him. also funbot is a BH main
Monotype: Wanka VS Lax - Laxgod
Sketchmons: wishes VS sin(pi) - hard matchup but sinpi is a dead player go play inverse or something

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Contacted

AG predicts:

Anything Goes: Fardin VS Chloe - I've definitely been underrating Chloe but I still have to give Fardin the upper hand here. This could definitely go either way and I think matchup could end up being the deciding factor.

Anything Goes: Salvation VS Yuga42 - F6 technically uses mono teams but hasn't been around as much lately so could be out of practice

Anything Goes: Thimo vs Catalystic - I thought there was no way Cata would beat Fardin so fuck it. Predicting hax to decide the game on turn 17.

I'll do sketch predicts ig as I'm cheerleading this week:

Megazard vs The ruins of Alpha
Room driver trumps room voice ig. Factor in esteemed sketch council factor and we have a pretty bleak outlook for drampasgrandpa ngl

Wishes vs sinpi
Sinpi was actually low-key a sketch god back before omgs, consistently beat me up until the sketch open when he p much disappeared. If he can shake off his rustiness, and find/build new teams post-a lot of sketch bans, he should have this one in the bag. However one cannot overlook the fact that wishes has jrdn to build op sketch teams at her disposal should she goose to utilise this advantage.

Official fissure vs geerat
So long as fissure doesn't bring a team which auto-loses to scarf cc ninja, undisputed-king-of-sketch-ladder shall claim this match and bring back the W for the soon-to-be ompl champions! He's also got the sketch queen herself to help him test gras on roomvoice tho geerat!

Apologies for the terrible formatting, smogon on mobile is quite the challenge;p

Some matches I'm looking forward to:

Anything Goes: Fardin VS Chloe.

Both Fardin and Chloe are excellent Anything Goes players, and although I'm not the most familiar with the metagame, I've seen a lot of both players! From what I can see, their strengths should face each other exceptionally well. After looking through some replays, I couldn't seem to find a match of these players fighting each other. I'm not placing bets on either side, as I feel this will be a very tight match that will inevitably come out to just one end. Chloe did win last week, so we'll see if she can keep the streak going. I can't see this being a really easy match to fight for either side, so I'm very excited for this one!

Glyx and rozes are both solid players, and knowing that Glyx has been more invested in AAA this generation may give him the edge over rozes this match; however, rozes is such a good player and knows AAA so well, that he's easily adaptable to the metagame! rozes also played last week and won, while this is Glyx's first time in the ring, so this may be a slight edge but you never know. It's going to be a very close match for sure, and I'm really excited to see what both players bring to the table!

Both of these players won their matches last week, both versus excellent players in their own right. So to combine two great Anything Goes player will be an explosive match certainly. I'm rooting for my teammate Thimo, and I know he's got it in him to win. It'll be a really tough match and it's going to be a joy to watch when two of the top players combine against each other. Either way, it's going to be a match of skill and confidence from both players that I can't wait to watch.

All of these matches this week seem interesting! Virgina's debut as well. And Funbot28 makes an appearance this week! Some fresh new faces to fight and it'll be awesome to see it.

Last week, my predictions were wildly inaccurate, quite a departure from the high standard I set for myself during OMGS. However, in the midst of all this failure, I realized that if I can motivate users like InfernapeTropius11 to reach their full potential instead of losing to Sablenite Alakazam, then I should continue to make use of this great power, even if it bears the great responsibility of being called out by everyone I predict against. So without further ado, here's my set of predictions for Week 2, hopefully better because I'm not making them while sitting on a bus half-asleep:

Almost Any Ability: The Official Glyx VS rozes - ah yes, the legendary Ransei Week 2 strategy of removing the people who got you a positive result in the first week that leads to people like racool inexplicably sitting on the bench. I've never seen Glyx play AAA (though apparently she does), but she could conceivably win if she brings one of her legendary "flawless teams," probably prepared in ten minutes, to this game. Alternatively, Ransei could just start her against TI and the Blisseys to increase her motivation and likelihood of success tenfold.
Chloe said:
8) Yuga42
- PS Account: Erotic Pigeons
- Very good balance player

- Luckiest player on this list
- and isn't this all you need to succeed in Pokemon?
Balanced Hackmons: morogrim VS fsk - I'm glad to see fsk getting the opportunity to play, though not as thrilled that it comes at the cost of good-luck-charm Volkner's starting spot, and against a player who will be hungry for revenge after losing to some beautiful jaspoetry last week. If the span of time including my writing of this post is any indication, Volt being on the bench has given him nothing better to do than like motherlove's posts literally the instant they are created, which is problematic for the Kois.
Mix and Mega: InfernapeTropius11 VS ihhca (Virginia) - we'll have to see if CLCTriumphantDebut (wow what a cool and ironic meme) leads logically to CLCTriumphantEveryOtherWeek, which I would not count on against Virginia, who turned some heads last week.
Monotype: DBW VS Sabella - This prediction can be interpreted as nothing but a personal insult of DBW and everything he holds dear in life.
Sketchmons: Official Fissure VS darksylvion (geerat) - I don't see fissure losing against the team he was originally supposed to be a part of, or really against much of anyone playing Sketchmons for any of the teams besides my own, since racool is on his own team (but inexplicably on the bench!).

Almost Any Ability: Jordn VS motherlove - at one point I would have considered the newly-minted monolove one of the top AAA players, but that doesn't seem to be his focus as much recently, and Jordn starting out 0-2 would be kind of a travesty, so I'm expecting this outcome
Anything Goes: Thimo VS Catalystic - is there any greater praise than being referred to as "a top SM Anything Goes player" by the Gréat Pokemon Mastér?
Balanced Hackmons: jasprose VS aki0s - like the Kois, the Mimikyus seem determined to deploy as many of their ridiculous number of players as possible, going into this week with four new starters, even though they arguably only lost last week because of their Monotype player's unability to schedule. Clearly, I approve of the Mimikyus mixing up their lineup but I don't know that this is the best way to do it. Last week I unironically thought that GmU pokeboss9 would have been a better match for Flint than Anna, simply because of his unpredictability and bizarre teambuilding style. As for aki0s, he's clearly quite capable but hasn't had highly successful results in tournaments, so I'm not sold on him being Awesome, Stylish, Outstanding, or Superior enough to pull out this victory.
Mix and Mega: Akashi (jeran) VS Funbot28 - I have come to terms with the fact that I cannot predict which games jeran will win so I'm just taking the opportunity to make another dumb hashtag and throw my support behind Funbot "young lad" 28. #FUNBOTOMPLWEEK22017 looks like it is taking place in the year 22,017 but I am glad to see it become a reality nonetheless, though I would have vastly preferred to see Funbot in BH. Take notes, Mimikyus. Or don't, because I would rather you have a sub-par lineup when we face you. Not starting Zephyr two weeks in a row is probably a good choice, though, because not only does lightning not strike twice very often, it strikes even less frequently in a two-week span. You heard it here first folks
Monotype: Wanka VS Lax - Lax doesn't seem especially motivated to play Mono (go West in WCOP though!)
Sketchmons: wishes VS sin(pi) - sin(pi) is someone I'm actually glad to see come off the bench for the Mimikyus, though Durza's "go play inverse" comment is actually rather on-topic in this case, as sketch has not been his focus for quite a while. Meanwhile, wishes seems weirdly invested in this OMPL. Nothing wrong with that and I'd love to see her prove herself. Free STABmons in OMPL though

Last edited:
Almost Any Ability: The Official Glyx VS rozes - ah yes, the legendary Ransei Week 2 strategy of removing the people who got you a positive result in the first week that leads to people like racool inexplicably sitting on the bench. I've never seen Glyx play AAA (though apparently she does), but she could conceivably win if she brings one of her legendary "flawless teams," probably prepared in ten minutes, to this game. Alternatively, Ransei could just start her against TI and the Blisseys to increase her motivation and likelihood of success tenfold.
this post iow what a cool and ironic meme) leads logically to CLCTriumphantEveryOtherWeek, which I would not count on against Virginia, who turned some heads last week.
Monotype: DBW VS Sabella - This prediction can be interpreted as nothing but a personal insult of DBW and everything he holds dear in life.
Sketchmons: Official Fissure VS darksylvion (geerat) - I don't see fissure losing against the team he was originally supposed to be a part of, or really against much of anyone playing Sketchmons for any of the teams besides my own, since racool is on his own team (but inexplicably on the bench!).
It's not that inexplicable, quite simply I'm not an aaa main, and glyx is just as good, if not better than me at aaa (she's 2-0 vs me this gen in aaa incidentally) As for sketch, fiss is just as good if not better than me at it, and I lost to a geerat team in omgs vs matame, so fiss was the better choice. Also I'm on holiday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)