Tournament OMPL X - Playoffs (Tiebreaker @ #36)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader

There are 8 teams this year. Each team will have have 8 players and at least 4 subs. The players are bought using the 120k credits that managers receive during the auction. Managers and co-managers will be allowed to purchase themselves as players for their team at a fixed price of 20k. The managers must inform the hosts (Isaiah, UT) of all self purchases before the beginning of the auction. Teams can win their matchup every week by winning 5 of the 8 matches that their players have to play.​
The tier lineup this year is as follows:​
  1. SS Almost Any Ability
  2. SS Balanced Hackmons
  3. SS Godly Gift
  4. SS Mix and Mega
  5. SS NFE
  6. SS STABmons
  7. SS 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5)
  8. SS Anything Goes
All games will be played on the Pokemon Showdown main server or SmogTours in the most current version of the format corresponding to those listed above. The result between players may be decided in a best-of-one or best-of-three at the discretion of both players involved. If there is no agreement, the result will decided in a Bo1 by default.​
Winning a round rewards a team with 2 points, drawing 1 point, and losing zero points. In addition, the manner in which the round has been won will also be recorded i.e. the difference between a team's wins and losses in a specific week's round (referred to as "Win Differential").​
Playoffs:​
Each team will play one another for seven weeks. Based on the final standings, the top 4 teams will enter a Playoffs Round to determine the teams appearing in the finals.​

Tiebreaker
In the event of two teams being tied for a spot in the finals based on points and win differential, or a tie in the final round itself, we will have a tiebreaker round(s).​

Tiebreaker Rules: One metagame will be picked by each manager, and each manager will also pick one metagame to strike. Additionally, each manager will submit a backup meta to strike in case their choice is the same as the opposing team's pick. The third format will be determined at random by the hosts from the remaining unpicked, unstruck metagames. In the event that the picks and strikes from each manager are the same, the hosts will determine both the second and third format at random based on the remaining options. All three metagames must be unique, so no format can be picked twice.​

Substitutes
Substitutes are to be used in the case of extenuating circumstances, whether on the first day of the week, or the last. At the same time, players should be relatively well-aware of who all are available to play in the opponent's camp. If last minute substitutes are being frequently used or abused and the hosts find explanations unsatisfactory, the hosts still reserve the right to veto them. In order to further prevent this being the case teams are only granted a maximum of two substitutes per week. Any substitutions after the second will be vetoed.​

Trades
The hosts have decided to not include trades this year due to reasons outlined in this thread - all roster decisions will be final, so draft carefully!​

Scheduling
Scheduling should be done on Smogon Profile walls, plain and simple:​
  • If there is no communication on Smogon Profile walls and a game goes undone, it will be left to the RNG to decide the winner
  • If there is communication on only one user's behalf, the win will go to them. Feel free to call activity in this thread beforehand
  • If there is a very healthy back and forth regarding potential times and one user is a no-show, a manager may take the opportunity to sub out the no-show competitor; if this is not done, the user that showed up responsibly will be awarded the win.
TL;DR: Post on your opponent's Smogon wall, schedule your matches, and be reliable. If you can't play for any reason, let your manager know so they can sub you out ASAP.​
Use these posts as a place to initiate discussion about bo1 or bo3 as well (or bo5 vs bo7 for 2v2)!​

Sportsmanship
Exhibitions of unsportsmanlike conduct with regards to the Other Metagame Premier League will be met with an infraction at the discretion of the OMPL host/OM mods. This is unlikely to include interactions within a team's private chat unless there is reason found to make an exception. This rule is meant to protect other users from being publicly flamed/bashed/provoked by another competitor for the duration of and following the tournament.​
All players must complete their matches by the given deadline. Any incomplete matches by that time will be subject to an activity decision (MAKE SURE YOU POST ON YOUR OPPONENT'S WALL); otherwise, it will be a deadgame. All matches should ideally be done on your most notable alt (the one you registered for OMPL with) to avoid confusion and all match replays must be saved and posted in this thread. The replays will be archived in a separate thread, and will be used to calculate usage stats.​

Substitutions & Lineups
Managers, if you wish to make any substitutions, you must post here tagging both the player you're subbing out, the player you're subbing in, the manager and assistant manager of the opposing team, the substitute's opponent, and all of the hosts (Isaiah, UT). This is to assure that everyone is in-the-loop and that the OP is updated accordingly to reflect the new match-up.​
Managers, when you send in lineups, please send it in with the tier and Smogon username of each player fully written out for ease of transcription, following these guidelines exactly.​

Matchups

:spinda: The Spinda Wheels (xavgb and in the hills)- [3][5] - The Temper Tyrantrums (OM and drampa's grandpa) :tyrantrum:
SS 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): London13 vs papiloco
SS Almost Any Ability: shiloh vs PandaDoux
SS Anything Goes: Skarph vs WSun1
SS Balanced Hackmons: xavgb vs Nihilslave
SS Godly Gift: TPP vs Mossy Sandwich
SS Mix and Mega: ez vs Quantum Tesseract
SS NFE: TJ vs Stareal
SS STABmons: Greybaum vs Finchinator

:hawlucha: The Hammered Hawluchas (astralydia and Dr. Phd. BJ) - [4][4] - The Malding Mavericks (Morgan and IBM) :ponyta:
SS 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): PA vs Chris32156
SS Almost Any Ability: astralydia vs luisin
SS Anything Goes: baconeatinassassin vs crying
SS Balanced Hackmons: TTTech vs quojova
SS Godly Gift: Dr. Phd. BJ vs beauts
SS Mix and Mega: ItsChew. vs TectonicDestroyer
SS NFE: jonfilch vs ojr
SS STABmons: Clementine vs Byleth

Tiebreaks

:hawlucha: The Hammered Hawluchas (astralydia and Dr. Phd. BJ) - [0][1] - The Malding Mavericks (Morgan and IBM) :ponyta:
SS STABmons: Dr. Phd. BJ vs Byleth

Tiebreak Deadline:
10:00 PM (GMT -4) on June 12th, 2022

SS 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): London13 vs papiloco
SS Almost Any Ability: shiloh vs PandaDoux
SS Balanced Hackmons: xavgb vs Nihilslave
SS Godly Gift: TPP vs Mossy Sandwich
SS Mix and Mega: ez vs Quantum Tesseract
SS NFE: TJ vs Stareal

SS 2v2 Doubles (Best of 5): PA vs Chris32156
SS Almost Any Ability: astralydia vs luisin
SS Mix and Mega: ItsChew. vs TectonicDestroyer
SS NFE: jonfilch vs ojr

SS STABmons: Dr. Phd. BJ vs Byleth

Last edited:

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
Quick predicts since i'm somehow the first person (dont know enough about the other metas to comment)

SS Almost Any Ability: shiloh vs PandaDoux - shiloh has been more consistent this year
SS Balanced Hackmons: xavgb vs Nihilslave - stroat
SS Godly Gift: FlamingVictini vs Mossy Sandwich - Mossy broke the curse, so it's impossible to not bold hom
SS Mix and Mega: ez vs Quantum Tesseract - again, QT has just been more consistent
SS STABmons: Greybaum vs Finchinator - more experience + playing slightly better imo

SS Almost Any Ability: astralydia vs luisin - luisin has played more aaa this year and ive been really enjoying beaut's builds and their playing
SS Godly Gift: Dr. Phd. BJ vs beauts - BJ has had a better year, but I have been a fan of beaut's plating and their builds
SS Mix and Mega: ItsChew. vs TectonicDestroyer - chew is pretty annoying and bad alright, and they will bully me if i dont bold them
SS STABmons: Clementine vs Byleth - Byleth = STAB goat

BH Predicts / Analysis:

Spindas vs. Tyrantrums
xavgb vs. Nihilslave

When looking at this match up, I'm not exactly sure how it'll go. From a team building stance, Nihilslave is a lot more difficult to prep for than Stresh. Stresh in general brings very standard teams, and has seem adverse to really going against this. A lot of what he has brought as well is what was used in previous weeks or prior to OMPL. In terms of actual "innovation" Stresh hasn't done much besides his Xerneas / Yveltal ate core that he's taken full advantage of. Nihilslave on the other hand has brought a wide variety of different techs, from lightning rod Eternatus to u-turn Regigigas + Adapt Groudon. Stresh typically (from what I know) doesn't really prep BH for his opponent. He more or less explores his own idea he has for the week, and goes with that, whereas Nihilslave I anticipate might try and bring some sets which might c-team stresh. However, it can undoubtedly be said that despite the simplicity of Stresh's structure they are extremely effective, whereas not all of Nihilslave's techs will work; and who knows, I'm sure stresh might have some hidden techs that he's been saving for play offs which might catch nihilslave off guard. I believe that if Nihilslave brings a team that won't falter vs. paralysis, and is able to have effective counterplay ate users, along with good proactive play I suspect that Nihilslave can take it. Stresh is a god at playing though, and I'm sure he'll have a team prepped that can persistently win in a long term end game. As for my predict...

You can always believe in Nihilslave

Luchas vs. Mavs
TTTech vs. Quojova

Hmmmmm, I'm really not sure how this one will go. In terms of playing, I feel like most people would regard Quojova as definetely the more consistent player. TTTech's playing tends to be more inconsistent, however in BH I feel like TTTech's playing has a higher ceiling than Quojova's. So it's question on whether TTTech will bring his A game this week or not. In terms of teambuilding, I've found Quojova's builds (I hate to say it) but very uninspiring. He hasn't brough prankster once. He also has this strange appreciation for Dialga and Kyogre. Now granted these are decent pokemon, but I do not believe they work on teams which are inherently, weak to Dragons Maw Eternatus. I feel like Quojova's building style is also fairly linear. He has however, played pretty well this OMPL, so his teams are at least good enough to get the wins, so can't say much about that. TTTech has been in and out of his lineup, however BJ & Lydia, have decided to show their trust in him and start him for these PO's. TTTech's playing this OMPL has been very inconsistent, and I feel like a lot of his builds lack adequate counter play to paralysis. His teams have been a mix of his go-to Magic Bounce Giratina + Magic Boucne Ho-oh (dire) cores, along with branched out ideas like his G1 team vs. MAMP where he brought dmaw Etern. I feel like this should definitely be to his advantage because now Quojova has to figure out whether he preps for a traditional TTTech team, or his newer stuff. One may say, it's the PO's gotta bring new things, but with TTTech you never know. I'll however, be bolding Quojova here, because TTTech's playing in more drawn out games has been really inconsistent this OMPL, and in a match up that I expect to be quite para heavy, I believe Quojova will just outplay and TTTech will eventually lose from para just from being on the back foot through out the game.

Last edited:

pannu

THE GONG OF KNOCKOUT
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
skarph is the best AG player in the pool, albiet i think that will is one of the two ppl that could beat him. 65/45
SS Godly Gift: FlamingVictini vs Mossy Sandwich
neither team has rlly impressed me w/ their GGift tho FV is a wayyyyy better player then mossy and i think unless he gets mega fished / passed a bad team he should always win this MU. 80/20
finch is a good player who gets passed bad teams, greybaum is a slightly less good player who uses really good teams. 55/45

bacons just better ngl, last time i saw crying play AG she used midladder teams she found online. 60/40
dr shcnasty with it wont lose, 90/10
A motivated byleth has 0 reason to lose in STAB, idt lydia will b able to build a good enough cteam for byleth again. 80/20

Redflix

Forgiven and Hanged
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Congrats to trums on continuing their playoff streak. Onto the eulogies now

Wiggly Family

Dragonillis was back in action this ompl , bringing back the wigglies who were very close to qualifying for poffs last year. Accompanying him was another frenchie , Osake. No one was really expecting a self buy from either of the managers, altho Osake's aaa support was seen as pretty valuable.
The team started off their auction with buying MAMP for 17k. The CHAMP was coming off a 5-0 campaign in wcoom and was seen as big threat in relatively strong bh pool. FC and blanched were their next two picks for 15.5k and 9.5k respectively. Both of these were seen as good picks , esp since FC was a top tier ag support in addition to being one of the better stab players and blanched also won 2v2 classic. They then proceeded to buy the tlenit + 85 core for nfe. Even though Tlenit had not been active in nfe much , 85 support was enough to compensate for it. They also got MZ for cheap imo and things were looking good as all of their slots till now were well rounded. However , their next buy , damflame wasnt exactly their best imo. Altho damflame did make omgs playoffs , they were primarily known for their BH and spending 7k on what looked like a bench slot looked iffy esp considering there were cheaper bh support options available. The wigglies finished their starting line up with getting seldanna and velvet for ag , hats for mnm ,eli + meta for gg. Stable and anaconja were bought up as support for 2v2 and BH respectively.
One thing to note in their draft was that the wiggly family's managers ended up with 13k before their final buy. I think this was a major mistake which could end up doing a lot of damage as these credits couldve definitely been used to strengthen their weak slots. I still ranked wigglies #5 in my PR as i think they had some heavy weights along with flexibility in the line up for must-win weeks.

1654106919660.png

A lot went wrong with wigglies but the one that hurt them the most was Fc's horrible season. What was expected to be a strong slot ended up with a 2-5 record. The team choices were somewhat weird imo and inconsistent plays didnt help either. Similarly , blanched and seldanna also had a rough season , both going winless. Eli , too , went 0-3 and generally had some questionable games. All of this resulted in Wigglies being in a dire spot after the first 3 weeks (which also included a 1-7 loss vs lopunnies w3). However , The wigglies had a bit of resurgence after this , owing to their subs. Stable went ham in 2v2 , amassing a 4-1 record in process with some well played games. Velvet going 3-1 in ag was also a plus with the win over Wsun coming in a crucial week. Meta also went 2-2 in GG. While the record not show much , I was very impressed by them and their loss vs Lily was to a speed tie and they got a bit unlucky vs TPP. Amidst all this Tlenit also had a great season , going 5-2 despite being critical of the meta throughout the tour. MAMP too generally played well and like every other bh player , "yellow magic" played a part in his losses. Wigglies MnM though ended up as another "crash" slot altho in his 2 wins , I must say damflame scouted perfectly and played well enough to navigate the good mu to a win. MZ also had a decent season going 4-3. While u might expect more from him especially considering he had atha and osake helping , MZ did manage to beat both the players having the best aaa record in the tour so it def balances out. However he also lost to potatochan w6 which probably was the biggest upset in the tour. This loss mattered a ton for the wigglies as it resulted in them tying the week vs trums , which meant they had to win their last week vs spindas and had to hope some results go their way.
The Big names all delivered in their must win week as fc, tlenit, mz and stable all won. However , their inconsistecty in other slots let them down. While MAMP not being available certainly hurt them , the bh game ended up being a bit haxxy with anaconja getting crit and the GG game had the aforementioned hax with Groudon critting the Landorus-t.

Overall , a lot of negative slots held wigglies back in the first few weeks of ompl and their 1-7 loss had a big impact in their qualifying chances. FC's off season along MnM and GG being 2-5 hurt them even more. Still think one of these weaknesses could be patched up in the draft had they not decided to save money for idk what reason. They still did come very closes to qualifying though and u gotta give them props esp considering the situation they were in after week 3.

Larping Lopunnys

The lopunnys were managed by relatively new faces in the form of adem and derpyboi. Derpy had a breakthrough in mnm last year and was seen as a decent support for the tier while adem was a natdex main. Similar to wigglies ,Neither of the managers were expected to self buy.
Lopunnys first buy was in the form of arguably the best bh player in the pool , cityscapes for a fair price of 18k. They then further strengthened their starting slots by getting lotiasite and The Number Man. Lotiasite was seen as the closest ag starter on the same level as bacon and skarph so getting them for 15k was a really good buy. They then proceeded to buy Leo for 8k. Leo despite have a very high skill ceiling had his stocks go down after his wcoom campaign , where he went 1-4 and also lost in playoffs and hence this buy wasn't seen as solid. Lopunnys were also able to get jordy , one of the better mnm players in the pool and with derp's support , this slot was seen as quite strong. However their next buy , lepton for 9k , was certainly weird. Lepton had an amazing nfe run in wcoom , going undefeated but lepton + leo is not a combo u want to have. This is after leo explicitly stated he didnt really need a helper in his sign up post too. Lopunnys next got Junna , which i assume was a flex slot and followed it up by buying instruct for 7k. Instruct for GG was very unproven so this buy was a question mark. Getting Mubs + zio as the 2v2 core for 10.5k was really great for them and they finished their starting LU by getting pannuracotta for stab. Pannu had recently made finals of the stab open and for 6k , it was a decent buy. Lopunnies then finished their auction by getting Axzel and Riceman as subs.
Their draft ended up being fairly strong with a lot of solid starters. While i did not rank lopunnys very high in my personal PR, This was mostly cuz of the remaining slots weren't seen as consistent. However , if those slots performed well or won in the right weeks , then the team had a high chances of making playoffs.

1654106989399.png

The team started off its season somewhat slowly , only managing a tie and loss in the first two weeks. It was only in week 3 where their fortunes turned and they absolutely crushed the wiggly family with a 7-1 win. City , after a week 1 hiccup , returned back to her winning ways and ended up having a 5-2 record , with the other loss only being to stresh. Their 2v2 slot also did well and ended up being positive. Derpyboi's support turned out to be a huge boon for Lopunnys , as they ended up with the best mnm record. This was especially surprising as jordy didnt even play most weeks and altho he did have an important win over andy, Axzel impressed quite a few people with his 3-1 record. Setting his weird habit of bringing Reshiram aside , He definitely brought some well scouted teams which helped him win vs qt and hats quite comfortably. Their stab slot also had one of the better comebacks as pannu ended up getting 5 wins after a horrible start. However , lopunnys ag slot, which was expected to perform quite well , ended up going negative. Lotiasite only managed to go 2-3 which was definitely shocking and Junaa went winless. Leo also continued to have a bad run , as he went 2-4 while bringing some questionable teams and the overall nfe slot went 2-5. Their GG slot was a disaster , as Instruct went 0-1 into sub and lepton could only manage 1 win in 6 games. This record could be attributed to almost no gg support resulting in poor team choices. Tnm went positive , however his season to me looked like a mixed bag. Much more was expected of him and losing to mono cb team is never a good look altho it was well known that tnm didn't exactly like the state of the meta.
The punnys had their fortunes once again changed after their loss to the xavgb's week 6. Needing a win to qualify vs the mavericks , they went down 0-4 in the first four games and ended up losing the week 3-5. This loss meant they had to hope things go their way and their best bet was a tiebreak vs trums. Somehow, everything did go their way and this ended up setting a tb for the 4th place in poffs. The tb metas in itself was a bit surprising , as the punnys did not go for either AAA or BH despite their best players belonging to that meta. Instead they went for STAB , where pannu had the momentum going for them. Unfortunately , they lost the tb 0-2 in which the stab game could definitely be described as "a game of pokemon" involving plenty of hax and chokes.

Rounding up, The gg mishap in the auction hurt Lopunnys a lot and so did their ag slot underperforming. Losses in their last two weeks denied them of a guaranteed spot despite them being in the top half for the majority of the tour. Still they had a good run and they were as close to making playoffs as anyone could get.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)