Serious On raising children and specifically spanking

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
After getting into a heated argument with WaterBomb I decided to make this post in cong to gather the opinions of the masses and to try to educate people.

Specifically, our conversation was about spanking or beating your child in order to produce results and curb certain behaviors. I strongly take the stance that any form of beating is detrimental to the growth of the child and that there are far better methods of discourse in raising your child and changing their behavior.

To start with I will define the differences between reinforcement and punishment, and negative and positive variations of both of those. Reinforcement is the idea of rewarding good behavior in order to reproduce future good behavior, while punishment is the idea of dissuading bad behavior out of some fear of reprisal. The positive and negative variants have to do with what you either add or take away in the reinforcement / punishment. An example of positive reinforcement would be something like feeding your dog a treat every time it does the trick you are attempting to teach it. The core concept of operant conditioning is that the brain makes associations between the action and the reward. A dog does the trick because it anticipates a treat, until the bond is so strong that you can move on without ever giving it a treat (although this link can degrade over time, so give your dogs their treats!) Since you are "adding" the treat to the equation, it is a form of positive reinforcement. Negative reinforcement would be the idea of taking something away in order to reward behavior or avoid an aversive outcome; an example would be a parent saying that they will only allow their child to stay out past 10pm IF they get all As and Bs on their report card (in this case, the child's behavior is attempting to influence an otherwise negative stimulus - a curfew). Punishment is the idea of attempting to dissuade bad behavior, rather than reinforcing the good behavior. Negative punishment is taking away something that is valuable to the individual; your child bullies others at school, and so to curb that behavior you ground them or take away their toys and games. Positive punishment on the other hand is when an individual adds something to the equation to dissuade a behavior. Your child frequently skips school and so to make sure they know it is a bad behavior your decide to spank them, reinforcing that skipping school will lead to pain in the future.

Now, this brings me to the overwhelming use of positive punishment, specifically corporal punishment, on children in order to curb their behavior. Sometimes it might be necessary (though I would disagree) and sometimes it is zealously used. In a 2016 study, polls found that 76% of men and 66% of women all agreed that spanking was necessary for development of their child's behavioral techniques. Around 41% of the United States actively spank their children, with certain spikes in areas such as the deep South that rise up to above 60%. This is a good trend, because it has been on the downslope since the 1980s and further, and a vast majority of people agree that corporal punishment in schools is not a permissible, but in my opinion it is still far too high.

Let's talk about the upsides to spanking your child first. The positive notes are that it is an immediately effective method of curbing behavior in the moment. In the moment is key, because positive punishment does not absolve the behavior at all, only deters the child from getting caught or doing the behavior in the near future. There are some arguments to be made that this form of physical punishment helps to instill fear into the child, and promote obedience in the future; while this is true, there are far better methods of instilling obedience into the child. For one, fostering a trusting relationship through rational discourse is one non-violent method of gaining the child's obedience. There are very few studies that have shown that spanking and an authoritative mindset ends up resulting in well-adjusted individuals, mostly by the same 2-3 researchers; in particular Larzelere's punishment studies, long since the go to study for concerned parents who spank their children, found that in the short term "punishments were the least effective tactic for negotiating and whining children" and that punishment was only effective "less than 16 percent of the time" with respect to long term iimprovements of behavior. One of the biggest arguments for spanking is that every child is different, and no child responds to the same method of behavioral modification, and that physical punishment is immediately effective.

Now, on to the downsides. Possibly the most comprehensive and recent study done, Elizabeth Gershoff compiled a meta-analysis critique of spanking, taking data from the previous Larzelere study among a plethora of others. The results have been empirically sound and consistent with an overwhelming negative view of spanking. In particular, spanking has been found to be less effective than other methods of behavioral modification, such as time outs or reasoning / negotiating with the child. In short, for immediate compliance to demands spanking is not actually an effective tactic at eliciting those reactions. Many people associate obedience to be not a short term effect, but a long term consequence; i.e. if you spank your child they will grow to be more obedient and well-adjusted to society. This was the main consensus of the previous Larzelere study as well as the Baumrind study that found an authoritarian style of parenting was best suited to controlling your child. This is just simply not the case based on the overwhelming amount of empirical data compiled, that has found that the long term effects of spanking introduced "a cycle of violence in intergenerational homes". Basically, if you grow up being spanked / physically abused, then you are more likely to continue that cycle in future situations, especially if you have kids. Additionally, children rely heavily on modeling in order to learn and adapt their behavior. When they see adults resort to violence to solve their issues, children are more likely to adopt that behavior and use violence as a primary method to solve their methods, leading to maladaptive social aggression. Disregarding the irony of parents using aggressive tactics in order to facilitate a decrease in the aggression their child shows (as aggressive children is one of the biggest reasons parents have been found to hit their child), spanking seems to show a strong correlation in being ineffective as a disciplinary and teaching method.

IQ is one of the most terrible inventions of mankind to accurately test for the intelligence of an individual (an entirely separate discussion that revolves around intelligence being incredibly difficult to accurately define from a philosophical standpoint, as well as IQ tests namely testing for short term memorization of patterns, spatial recognition, and mathematical ability but disregarding key core intelligence concepts such as willingness to learn or critical thinking and abstract thinking skills). That said, IQ is a very good indicator of the traditional science (to a degree) and mathematics oriented mind; and studies have shown that physical punishment, specifically spanking, leads to lower IQs worldwide. Moreover, spanking leads to a reduced amount of gray matter in the prefrontal cortex of children, a vital part of the brain that has been linked to reward and decision making, personality expression, as well as the person's will to live. From a neuroscience perspective, violence is abhorrent and only helps to stunt the emotional and psychosocial development of children, both in long term longitudinal studies as well as in biologically based neurological studies of the physical brain structure.

Increasingly, spanking your child has been disavowed by professional organizations, not just academia. The American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, and more. Despite this overwhelming amount of available empirical research, with descriptive statistics to back up the claims, a vast majority of parents and families in the United States support spanking their children, a minority of those support corporal punishment or excessive spanking for minor misconduct, and worldwide the consensus is far worse, especially in developed countries. African American, Hispanic, and Asian families are more prone to being pro-spanking than other ethnicities, although the rates are only around 10-20% more support; families that are lower on the socioeconomic classes support it more as well, and physical punishment has been strongly correlated with education levels of parents (with post graduate having the lowest support, and high school graduates having the highest support); and men in particular favor physical punishment over women.

This, in my personal opinion, has to do with a severe lack of education on the topic. There is an old adage that you end up becoming your parents, and this is certainly true. Modeling is a powerful tool for learning children at the developmental stages, and it is vitally important that you exercise alternative means of discipline for your children, ESPECIALLY for younger children (newborns to <2 years old). My general rule on this matter is that you have to ask yourself if your child is capable of associating the spank with a consequential action. If they are too young to actually comprehend that they did anything wrong, then physically punishing your child is pointless as they will never make that link (you wouldnt hit your dog 6 hours after they chewed up your favorite pillow, because they simply won't make the link between their action and the punishment, they just perceive the punishment and are left confused as to why their owner is hitting them). If the child is old enough to associate the punishment with their behavior, then WHY ARE YOU NOT JUST EXPLAINING TO THEM WHY THE BEHAVIOR IS WRONG IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Please feel free to discuss this topic, anything from child rearing tactics, to specifically spanking, to developments of obedience or behavioral mechanisms. Please refrain from no content posts that say: "oh well I was hit as a kid and I turned out fine"

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
i was hit as a kid and turned out fine
I was also hit as a kid and I turned out fine as well. I do not believe that I'll be an agressive and or abusive father and I love kids. I plan on being a health teacher at the middle school or high school level. I'm actually super excited for fatherhood and I look forward to that portion of my life. I probably Hit or beat my children but maybe I will. I'm not sure what kind of father I'll turn out to be as long as I turn out as a good one.

I believe that its perfectly acceptable to beat your children. In today's day and age I don't think it's as socially acceptable with how liberal our soceity has become but I suppose that may be my experiential view on today's society.

Corporal punishment during infancy and early childhood seems like a bad idea, but childhood doesn't end there. I'd say I still harbor some minor resentment towards my father for what was likely very mild, but in my young mind seemed significant, spanking from ages 4-7, and I can't say I think that did me any good.

That said, from around age 9 until my mid teens my mother would occasionally slap me. I could say "Oh, she should've just talked things out with me and explained how I was wrong", but I am and always have been a bit of a prick by nature, and I don't believe there's any conversation that could have been had with me in those moments that would have clued me into the fact that I had crossed a line more effectively and left a more lasting mental-note than that stinging sensation on my cheek. It was different to being deprived of something I valued for some arbitrary period of time; instead of feeling sorry for the cruel and unusual punishment I would have to endure, I actually reflected on what I had done. Maybe that's a personal quirk, or a post hoc rationalisation / coping-mechanism, but that's my take on it.

Last edited:
I’m definitely of the opinion that it’s completely unnecessary and I trust the current scientific consensus that it’s broadly harmful.

This isn’t to say that people who hit their kids are all monsters, but there’s this self-perpetuating cycle that’s developed, where people who were beaten as children are forced to defend the practice in order to defend their parents’ actions. They then go on to hit their own kids and the cycle repeats.

The absurdity of it all is highlighted by the example of a parent seeing their kid hit another kid. Obviously this is very bad behaviour that needs to be addressed immediately, i.e. the exact kind of thing that defenders of corporal punishment for kids say warrants a violent response. They pull the child aside and give them a ‘corrective’ smack, saying “it’s not okay to hit people!” and the child is presumably left feeling very confused.

Even with a hypothetical ‘impossible’ child, whose bad behaviour can’t be controlled by any other means, it’s hard to imagine a good outcome in the long run. I can’t help but think that someone who seems to have so little respect for your authority over them, outside of the times when you’re physically controlling them, is unlikely to continue obeying you once they grow up and you can no longer exert that kind of dominance.

I have a lot of thoughts about this topic but I don’t want to get into a longer ramble than I already have haha. I recognise that my position on this is probably largely informed by the fact that I don’t personally know anyone who was spanked or struck in any way as a child, so it’s pretty incomprehensible to me.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I was also hit as a kid and I turned out fine as well. I do not believe that I'll be an agressive and or abusive father and I love kids. I plan on being a health teacher at the middle school or high school level. I'm actually super excited for fatherhood and I look forward to that portion of my life. I probably Hit or beat my children but maybe I will. I'm not sure what kind of father I'll turn out to be as long as I turn out as a good one.

I believe that its perfectly acceptable to beat your children. In today's day and age I don't think it's as socially acceptable with how liberal our soceity has become but I suppose that may be my experiential view on today's society.
Reminder that just because you personally didn't experience any trauma as a result of physical abuse at your parents' hands (to your own knowledge) that doesn't mean that physical abuse is an ok thing to do. Different people experience things in different ways, it's very hard to know when exactly you cross the line and end up causing lasting damage to your child. It's better to be prudent and avoid physical violence in any way. Fact of the matter is that most children can be kept in check without resorting to spanking and in most cases, parents who get physical with their child are just lazy failures who can't accept the responsibility that comes with raising a child. Let's not forget that the way children act is largely dependent on how their parents raised them thus far, so a child who appears unreasonable and can only be kept in check through physical violence probably has not been raised properly thus far.

TTK

Won't Catch Me Lacking.
is a Community Contributor
Honestly, physical violence isn't bad in my opinion. Like I think that is the way kids learn boundaries and respect their parents. I don't want to sound like I'm selecting different groups out but ethic minorities use spanking more than let's say, white people. I got no stats to back that up but from I've seen in my life and just in general, that seems like the case. And do you know what else seems like the case? The ethic minority tend to respect their parents more. The amounts of time I've seen white British children just abusing their parents and I always thought "maybe if they got beat instead of the typical Johnny you're grounded" they wouldn't be so disrespectful without major feedback. Like if I swore at my parents at like a teenage/kid age, especially coming from a minority background, I would definitely get beat and that'll stop me from ever thinking of doing it again.

Now someone is gonna try to counter this by saying "you gaining that respect through fear and violence". Now it might look that way but as they grow, I believe they'll realise the significance of the beating and it makes the kid more respectful at the end of the day when sometimes the non violence approach doesn't produce results.

And I also have to disagree with Robert on a couple of things. Abuse is a very strong word to use. Some people got hit as a kid, some more than others and as a kid, I got hit on some ocassions, when I misbehaved badly but I wouldn't say "oh I got abused by mum because she hit me like once in a blue moon".

Also, where's the correlation between being a bad parent because you decide to hit your children? How are they lazy failures if they decide to hit your kid for misbehaving? It's not like you just hit them and don't tell them why you're hitting them.

Overall, I think the pro-non violence don't acknowledge that hitting your children has some pros and not every child takes and understands the less violent approach and the talk-down. Sometimes, you gotta get physical depending on the situation and the child. Doesn't make you a failure or you can't handle parenting but that's just my two pence into this.

MAMP

MAMP!
i've done university courses on developmental psychology: almost all of the evidence agrees that hitting children is ineffective in pretty much every scenario and leads to a far greater likelihood of behavioural/mental health issues in future, and it also often harms the relationship between parent and child. some people in this thread have said that they were spanked as a child and turned out fine; this is anecdotal and does not disprove the fact that spanking children has a net negative impact on the child on average. also even if it were effective, it's really cruel. kinda fucked up to me that in most countries its not considered assault to hit your children

Honestly, physical violence isn't bad in my opinion. Like I think that is the way kids learn boundaries and respect their parents. I don't want to sound like I'm selecting different groups out but ethic minorities use spanking more than let's say, white people. I got no stats to back that up but from I've seen in my life and just in general, that seems like the case. And do you know what else seems like the case? The ethic minority tend to respect their parents more. The amounts of time I've seen white British children just abusing their parents and I always thought "maybe if they got beat instead of the typical Johnny you're grounded" they wouldn't be so disrespectful without major feedback. Like if I swore at my parents at like a teenage/kid age, especially coming from a minority background, I would definitely get beat and that'll stop me from ever thinking of doing it again.
Yeah bullshit most Asian and Jewish kids in the West respect their parents a tonne and corporal punishment happens even less with those families than the main stream. Pain is a pretty cruel punishment especially when you consider that it evolved as an extremely unpleasant response to keep the body out of physical harm

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
the criminalization of brown kids starts asap, it is very common in America's criminal courts to have a 31 yr old male poc going to jail on a gun/drug possession charge with a record going back to age 11 for something as contrived as not snitching on another kid on their block. there is no parenting strategy to be contrived in the face of American cultural and institutional racism and a poverty landscape, you do what you have to so you can survive. The damaging affects of abuse and neglect, of experiencing violence from people who are supposed to be your caretaker, are well documented and I think parents should never feel like they have to hit their kids, but the answer to 'how does society prevent violence against children' is not to print more books for parents to read about how harmful it is to hit their kids (much of which is undoubtedly true), but to increase access to childcare and education.

this is the type of convo i imagine older white women having before they call cps on some brown girl who sent their kid to school when they had a cold.

That said, IQ is a very good indicator of the traditional science (to a degree) and mathematics oriented mind; and studies have shown that physical punishment, specifically spanking, leads to lower IQs worldwide.
In Singapore they cain children and their IQ is higher than some countries that have banned spanking. Singapore is described as being like Disneyland.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
In Singapore they cain children and their IQ is higher than some countries that have banned spanking. Singapore is described as being like Disneyland.
Correlation does not imply causation. Unless you can find scientific studies that can unambiguously prove that the Singaporean parenting method, and in particular the part where they beat the shit out of their children, is beneficial to the child's upbringing, it's anecdotal non-evidence. Also, IQ is 1: a bad unit of measurement and 2: says nothing about a person's mental health. I would rather live in a country where people are not especially bright on average but generally happy than in a country where people are very intelligent on average but also way more likely to suffer from depression.

Now someone is gonna try to counter this by saying "you gaining that respect through fear and violence". Now it might look that way but as they grow, I believe they'll realise the significance of the beating and it makes the kid more respectful at the end of the day when sometimes the non violence approach doesn't produce results.
I have indeed seen a lot of people defend their parents' violent methods, and I also know there's a little something called Stockholm Syndrome. Considering how easily children are manipulated and considering parents already have a natural position of authority over their children, convincing these children that spanking them or even more rigorous abuse is ultimately for their own good is really not that difficult.

And I also have to disagree with Robert on a couple of things. Abuse is a very strong word to use. Some people got hit as a kid, some more than others and as a kid, I got hit on some ocassions, when I misbehaved badly but I wouldn't say "oh I got abused by mum because she hit me like once in a blue moon".
There's gradations in abuse, and just because slapping your child occasionally when they are perceived to misbehave is not as bad as hitting them with the belt every other night, that does not mean that the former is not abuse. And again, how exactly are you supposed to know where the line is between the "occasional healthy spanking" and abuse that has lasting effects on the child's mental health? Would you know how your spanking is perceived by your child? What seems like "reasonable punishment" to you might actually harm your child's trust, you wouldn't know until it's too late.

Also, where's the correlation between being a bad parent because you decide to hit your children? How are they lazy failures if they decide to hit your kid for misbehaving? It's not like you just hit them and don't tell them why you're hitting them.
What you consider "misbehavior" does not just randomly happen. There is usually a prerequisite for problematic behavior, a child doesn't randomly start acting up. You might want to question whether your own parenting behavior has allowed for the child to develop problematic attitudes, whether the environment it grows up in is beneficial or detrimental to its behavior, or if it's a neurodivergent child who requires professional help. In any case, just hitting the problem until it goes away is not a viable option. This is a lazy way of responding to a problem and expresses that you as a parent are incapable of handling your child.

Overall, I think the pro-non violence don't acknowledge that hitting your children has some pros and not every child takes and understands the less violent approach and the talk-down.
This is overly patronizing, I highly doubt that children "don't understand" a verbal approach, unless you communicate poorly or the child has a developmental disability. If you are patient with your child and consider all your options you really don't have to resort to violence!

50 years of research on thousands of children across the world show that spanking produces the same negative changes in children's brains as severe forms of abuse that leave visible scars or other injuries on the body.

authority figures weaponizing their power is never a sign of love. it is abuse.

50 years of research on thousands of children across the world show that spanking produces the same negative changes in children's brains as severe forms of abuse that leave visible scars or other injuries on the body.

authority figures weaponizing their power is never a sign of love. it is abuse.
It's not the physical pain that makes corporal punishment feel bad but rather the shame. A child or adolescent could experience the same pain or worse (e.g. breaking a leg) and endure it but the shame from less painful punishment is much harder to process. It could be possible that corporal punishment would be more effective for adolescents because their minds understand complex social emotions like shame but children do not.

It's not the physical pain that makes corporal punishment feel bad but rather the shame. A child or adolescent could experience the same pain or worse (e.g. breaking a leg) and endure it but the shame from less painful punishment is much harder to process. It could be possible that corporal punishment would be more effective for adolescents because their minds understand complex social emotions like shame but children do not.
i'm not sure how you were able to piggyback off my comment and surmise that beating children of any age is acceptable, but okay.

i imagine a world where we treat power with delicacy, and foster compassion with eachother. children have and deserve bodily autonomy as well, and you are completely undermining kids' potential for growth. you would never hit a peer if you disagreed with them. please treat children with the same dignity. they are people too. punitive punishment which reifies violent structures is rearing your children for relationships wherein violence is condoned. abuse is never okay.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7832020
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11414399

you're right. there are only myriad sociological & biological studies conducted which all confirm how children's bodies and minds are completely throttled by spanking and they're all a sham. i recommend reading stacey patton for a look @ specifically the colonial invention of spanking & how it has harmed so many black children in the process: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/10/opinion/sunday/stop-beating-black-children.html
also peep her book and other articles if you want some more info

if you need a step by step guide on how to not hurt kids, i recommend the following program
step 1: don't hit ur kids

sociological
Sociological studies are either exercises in statistics or also non-reproducible like psychological studies.

biological
Nobody has a theory on how spanking affects gene expression or protein folding--or a model of how gene expression and protein folding causes a maladaptive personality to develop. So this is a lie.

if you need a step by step guide on how to not hurt kids, i recommend the following program step 1: don't hit ur kids
What do you propose we do? Let children do whatever they want like TCS?

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
2. What do you propose we do? Let children do whatever they want like TCS?
What do you propose we do? Let children do whatever they want like TCS?
Since dice hasnt responded to this yet, im just gonna quickly respond to this point. dice did not say that. that is a strawman. You are the only one who brought up TCS. No one in this thread is advocating for that style of parenting itt (to my knowledge). They are simply showing why spanking is wrong, which I agree with. so stop bringing this up, youre attacking a strawman

They are simply showing why spanking is wrong, which I agree with.
There is no evidence that spanking causes a maladaptive personality. Non-reproducible psychological and sociological studies aren't evidence anymore than doctored photos of La Chupacabra are evidence. Studies have to be real to count as evidence.

Myzozoa

Nobody has a theory on how spanking affects gene expression or protein folding--or a model of how gene expression and protein folding causes a maladaptive personality to develop. So this is a lie.
literally try googling epigentics and trauma if you cant find a result ill quote u a passage from my 10 yr old textbook. trauam affects gene expression by modifying epigenetic on and off switches. so it is quite evidently heritable, if you experience it at the ages of gamete formation (whole life for ppl that reproduce w sperm).

literally try googling epigentics and trauma if you cant find a result ill quote u a passage from my 10 yr old textbook. trauam affects gene expression by modifying epigenetic on and off switches. so it is quite evidently heritable, if you experience it at the ages of gamete formation (whole life for ppl that reproduce w sperm).
There's no theory of epigenetics and personality. Nobody can construct a map between e.g. gene expression and Dabrowski's positive disintegration. So even if the same epigenetics of trauma are activated while spanking, that might not mean anything. You would also need to prove that trauma causes a maladaptive personality rather than a resilient or anti-fragile one.

Last edited:

Myzozoa

i disagree, all i need to prove is that it is a single factor in the emergence of a pathological inheritable affective habit, because demonstrating total causality demands taking a totalized position on nature vs nurture that is obviously not a position I hold. however, in fact, it is quite statistically verifiable that trauma is linked to birth defects that I would, perhaps obtusely, point out are accompanied by fragile, certifiably dependent personalities in addition to other symptoms. High levels of the stress hormone cortisol are an example of this correlation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)