On SPL Inclusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

peng

hivemind leader
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
EDIT: lol scooped by McMeghan gg

Perhaps a controversial suggestion, but how would people feel about completely flipping the current plans, and instead having SPL be CG OU + lower tiers, and then the "new" team tour be for CG OU + old gens.

It sounds ridiculous considering the history but a huge part of this comes down to branding and how much faith players have in the ability to make a secondary tour for lower tiers that comes even close to the scale of SPL. I think Snake has shown us that a team tour based around CG lower tiers is not a guaranteed success and relies a lot on branding to generate hype. I may be wrong, but my gut feeling is that there is a such a huge demand to see mcmeg, bkc, ojama, golden sun, soulwind duking it out in an old gen team tournament, regardless of what the name of it is.

Does it therefore make sense to give the lower tier team tournament the best chance of success by using the "SPL" mantle, and have the old gen format starting from fresh?

Last edited:

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
EDIT: lol scooped by McMeghan gg

Perhaps a controversial suggestion, but how would people feel about completely flipping the current plans, and instead having SPL be CG OU + lower tiers, and then the "new" team tour be for CG OU for old gens.

It sounds ridiculous but a huge part of this comes down to branding and how much faith players have in the ability to make a secondary tour for lower tiers that comes even close to the scale of SPL. I think Snake has shown us that a team tour based around CG lower teams is not a guaranteed success and relies a lot on branding to generate hype. I may be wrong, but my gut feeling is that there is a such a huge demand to see mcmeg, bkc, ojama, golden sun, soulwind duking it out in an old gen team tournament, regardless of what the name of it is.

Does it therefore make sense to give the lower tier team tournament the best chance of success by using the "SPL" mantle, and have the old gen format starting from fresh?
See, here comes the "logistics" thing I mentioned in one of my earlier posts. Zracknel's word is that he'd need some time to get proper branding together for the new tournament, and the winter tournament is imminent. There's no chance for that tournament to be called anything but SPL, I think.

In principle, yeah, get me in the Smogon Poopygarbage League with a brown trophy, as long as BKC and Soulwind and the rest are in it I don't care. Practically speaking, the only way I see for this to happen is if we were to host our winter oldgens tournament and call it SPL, then hold a summer lowtier tournament and also call it SPL, and then in 2022 the oldgen name change kicks in. Which I suppose would be fine, but also a bit weird to have two SPLs in the same year.

Last edited:

Heroic Troller

Through the Sea of Time
is a Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
World Defender
As long as the playerbases stays scattered this will be the inevitable result. I want to say first that i'm sorry for doubles players and any other tier left out, i get how you feel, rby has been in danger for quite some time despite saving itself at the very last once again. But at the same time i (and probably most non-doubles players) don't care about your (or any other) tier in itself, the same way when we rbyers (and lower tiers as well) were struggling to death to stay alive no one gave a fuck either, you were comfortable while we peasants fought over the bread crumbs. What i mean is that everyone only really cares about his own stuff, which fine and dandy, no one forces you to do otherwise. But at the same time i wonder, what do you expect from this thread? You started an uproar because your tier is on the losing side but when things were flipped around you didn't lift a finger.
**JOKE REMOVED BECAUSE SMALL BRAINS COULD ONLY FOCUS ABOUT IT**
If you want to do like Frania and just butthurt cry some nonsense because rby is in and your precious better tier is not, you won't change anything but your likes count at best. If you really want to save doubles for the next spl, try to link with others, to be a community. Together we are stronger than separated.

Again, i'm not even here as an rbyer today, rby is in and i don't need to say anything more for myself. I could easily chill on the sideline and let this fire extinguish itself, but i decided to do it anyway because i totally get how you guys feel, we have been there before you.

Last edited:
Echoing McMeghan’s sentiment 100%: I think people care too much about the perceived prestigiousness of an online Pokemon tournament. An official tour’s an official tour to me. There will always be a very competitive atmosphere and a great level of competition, even if some more people sit out compared to SPL. Who cares? I don't think the issues with snake were entirely due to the tourmanent logistics. The playerbase mentality definitely contributed, which is why I'm optimistic about improvement. I like the idea of rebranding snake anyway because it has several benefits without any expense.

Tbh if it were swapped and old gens got shafted for this tournament, I really wouldn’t care with the promise of the other tournament happening. Obviously it kind of sucks to have your tier suddenly not be in the next SPL, so I’m sorry for that. I think it makes sense that SPL is focused on all the OU tiers though. I’m not gonna waste my time writing some long ass post that no one’s gonna read, so I just wanted to chime in and say I’m fine with the decision TDs made about the format. And I’d be fine with it if I were a doubles main too.

I wonder if other old gen players feel that way or if they care about the SPL brand more than the tournament format itself, because then the issue would just be reversed. Just all seem superficial to me.
I 100% agree with this.

The players (and therefore the level of play) in a tournament are what makes the tournament good, not the name, not 50k words power rankings, not whatever else people think are what makes SPL the tournament it is.

SPL is a prestigious tournament because it has prestigious matches all season long. Think about matches like Soulwind vs BKC in BW, Eo vs Empo in SS, or Fear vs Lavos Spawn in GSC in a official tournament setting. Tell me these games are happening in an official team tournament and I'll get on to watch it, whether the tournament is named SPL, SSD, or peepeepoopoo tournament. I couldn't care less, I'd get on to watch the top of the top duking it out between each other.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Tbh if it were swapped and old gens got shafted for this tournament, I really wouldn’t care with the promise of the other tournament happening. Obviously it kind of sucks to have your tier suddenly not be in the next SPL, so I’m sorry for that. I think it makes sense that SPL is focused on all the OU tiers though. I’m not gonna waste my time writing some long ass post that no one’s gonna read, so I just wanted to chime in and say I’m fine with the decision TDs made about the format. And I’d be fine with it if I were a doubles main too.
This is really easy to say when “your tier” existed without you for years and you never had to fight for your right to be included, only for you to suddenly be excluded on the grounds of “we didn’t feel like including you this year.”

And this isn’t even the worst post in this thread. Shoutout to Valentine for taking five paragraphs to say “get good lol” and to PDC and Troller for... whatever they were trying to say.

To me at least, SPL has always been a tournament about bringing the whole site together. My favorite things about SPL when I participated were meeting and talking to people from so many different communities, who had different approaches to the game than I did and knew things I didn’t know. Making SPL all-OU flies in the face of SPL as I always knew it; oldgens has always looked from the outside to be one greater community (outside of the RBY-only players on PP), so this tournament now feels like it’s getting CG OU players into the tournament scene already populated by the oldgens community. Cutting low/other tiers entirely is cutting out the majority of the site (DOU alone has more ladder games played than every single old gen combined except SM, and that’s to say nothing of the actual lower tiers) and catering to the vocal minority.

Edit @ below: peng’s point is completely valid; I want to make that clear, but don’t have anything else to justify making a new post.

since I’m a DOU mod I might as well clarify that these opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the community as a whole

Last edited:

peng

hivemind leader
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think we need to be careful with ladder stats when gauging format popularity, otherwise we should be playing randbats in SPL XII.

Ladder counts is only one way of defining popularity. You can just as easily determine popularity by smogtours spectators, or player satisfaction, which may favour old gens OU. Saying that DOU deserves to be in because it has more ladder counts and is therefore more popular is a weak argument.

Not playing favourites here because I legit think all official formats should have an amazing team tournament regardless of title / brand, and I do think that we should seriously consider having SPL be all current gen tiers, but attempting to compare the legitimacies of different formats based on how many ladder players there are is a fruitless endeavour.

edit: Ununhexium my bad, i thought it had been obvious the opening line was just being facetious. General point is that popularity of the ladder is a very specific way of gauging popularity, and not necessarily the best / most accurate one.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I understand the principle behind splitting SPL into two and that it offers a lot of benefits -- dropping to 10 slots (or at least avoiding 14 slots) and avoiding constant rotation of tiers being two of the more prominent ones. I also think it has some problems, like making SPL cease to be a tour where the whole community is represented (allowing, say, SS lower tier players and old gen legends to team up, which rly adds a lot to the feeling of community on Smogon in addition to rewarding versatile managers). However, I understand the reasoning for the split SPL change and am ok with it, particularly if the Snake replacement becomes as high-quality a tour as Hogg and the TDs are aiming for it to be.

What I really don't understand, though, is why this change was implemented immediately before this SPL (January 2021) instead of going into effect for the January 2022 SPL. I feel like the communities that are being removed would feel a lot better about their removal after one iteration of the SSD replacement, where they can see it is a high quality, intense, and competitive tour that justifies and makes up for their removal from SPL. Right now, they are being removed with only the promise that "your only team tour won't suck this time, we promise!"; from the backlash of the DOU community, these seems to be very empty words of reassurance. Lower tier / DOU players also planned to play in SPL, and managers planned around those tiers being included; is it really necessary to immediately change that?

I don't believe the current format is bad enough that it needs to be immediately reformed. The solution proposed by SW/Eo/Hogg/whoever is in charge might be better long term, but I believe it would be better to implement it for the January 2022 SPL than for the January 2021 edition.

Much of the justification for changing the format arises from scalability concerns; the new format they propose, Eo says, will be better able to remain unchanged for the next decade. That's good. However, that will be true regardless of whether it is implemented now or in 2022, since Generation 10 isn't coming for a while. Why rush DOU and lower tiers out the door when the solution would be just as effective if we wait a year?

The new split SPL format might be better long term, but I think implementing it for the SPL that's happening in 2 months is disruptive to managers' plans and disrespectful to the communities that expected to participate in it; in return, it offers virtually no benefits over implementing this change in 2022. Why is this change happening now, rather than a year from now?

Thank you.

Scalability isn’t the only factor, the change to all OU is better in the short term as well. I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea of doubles in SPL, the proposed change puts it in 1 team tour per cycle just like every other tier besides SS OU. If individual representation is the issue then toy with the doubles OST idea TonyFlygon brought up. There’s no need to compromise what otherwise works for team tours because someone feels left out. Arguments about the other lower tiers make even less sense, as their representation is still equal in every way. I fully agree with McMeghan's sentiment, but the winter one should retain old gens because of new gen release timing.

More on doubles, it sticks out like a sore thumb every tournament. No other tier requires a dedicated sub/helper. No other tier has worse overlap with singles metagames and playerbases. Doubles is extremely different from every other metagame, oldgens and lower tiers alike. Please don’t try to dub it as “current gen ou.”

gonna be short on this one:

i can understand the frustration from communities who were operating under the assumption that their tiers would be in SPL this year, but this is ultimately the correct decision. having two high quality team tours instead of one good one and one bad one is obviously better for overall quality of the circuit, but it also helps us include lower tiers in the most competitive way possible.

i'm surprised nobody really mentioned this until ABR's post, but he's 100% correct: doubles is already a difficult tier to fit into teamtours because of how wildly different it is. having to draft support for literally one slot is really bad. still, doubles is a fantastic tier and deserves to be in a teamtour despite this. two, however, has always been pushing it... all for a doubles OST though, given how different the tier is, i think this is totally fair (albeit kinda weird).

all for a doubles OST though
I don't think a doubles OST just solves the problem. DOU has less players than OU so I don't know if it is really possible making an OST only for DOU, and it sounds like a "gift" to remedy at the mistake of removing DOU from SPL. I'm not a DOU player but it's not fair at all removing from SPL a tier that is not present in Grand Slam too.

Last edited:
outside of premiere, what words for the new tournament name will satisfy needs for prestige and glory while duking it out in generation 8 neverused?

i do not see any coherent arguments against the spl split except impatience or legacy complaints.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Eien said:
You mentioned Monotype when you called the current SPL format unfair for excluding us, but that only proves to me that you don't understand what makes SPL so important to the communities that aren't even included in it at any given time. I could even today call it a pipe dream, but I believe there's a nonzero chance, no matter how unlikely, that Monotype can one day be in SPL given patience and change. Any trophy tour was the next impossible goal I wanted to see us reach after Monotype impossibly becoming official, but SPL was the goal beyond that to be able to compete alongside the most important tiers of the site whether they be old gen or lower tier. I never viewed SPL's tier selection as unfair, even if Monotype was always excluded; what is unfair is the opinion of those who have never touched the tier claiming it is something that it isn't. So at least for the three years I led it, I can happily assure you that SPL's format being "unfair" was hardly a concern for me. For tiers that are not currently in SPL, I am positive that being part of it (again in some cases) is one of the tier's ultimate goals. Unsurprisingly, you've had many tier leaders argue for their tier. That goal is a portion of what brings prestige to SPL from even those that cannot play in it. People aren't always logical, but what people want is what they value.
It's true; I don't understand this at all. It was never the intended purpose of this tournament to ascribe higher values to tiers included in SPL and lower values to tiers excluded from it. This isn't an intentional thing. This isn't a good thing. It's a problem that's been warped into normalcy. The purpose of tournaments is not to reify a mythical, community-perpetuated hierarchy of tiers, but to provide a rich and fulfilling experience for its participants. By rooting these two tournaments' identities in a format that eliminates the subjectivity associated with handpicking tiers, this perspective should cease to exist, and that's all the more reason to do it.

I talked with MajorBowman one-on-one, and while I could personally make sense of a format that accommodated Doubles in both tours, I realized that leaving any room for ambiguous interpretation in the format is what opened the door for constant revision of the tour in the first place. The subjectivity of SPL tier selection ensured it would forever remain an open issue, and Eien's post illustrates why. Many people viewed SPL as a solved problem because the current solution involved rejecting Monotype, RBY, and others into perpetuity, whereas it's abundantly clear from this post he held different ideas. The current solution and similar others relied on different parties assuming different things about SPL and nobody ever putting these assumptions together and discovering that they were fundamentally incompatible. And when that ever happened, as was the case with RBY, the solution was just to ignore them.

When you say I cannot force people to believe the two SPLs are equal in value, you are correct insofar as my word means nothing alone. We can, however, identify where the discrepancy comes from and take whatever measures are necessary to eliminate them. The first step is codifying out of existence the subjectivity that gave room to judge some tiers as "premier" and others as not. When Tony asked me to rejoin the TD team, this is what I sent him. This was a year ago. How much collective time have we wasted as a community arguing over who deserves representation and who doesn't?

At the moment, there is reasonable distrust surrounding the intentions of the TD team. I have insisted that I held Snake in high regard and will value the new SPL in the same way, but we are at the point where actions matter more than arguments. I am going to make the following promises, and I expect the community to hold me to them:

1. Hogg has already begun driving the Snake revision, and I am 100% comfortable letting him dictate this project. You can trust his competence and direction from his history of spearheading initiatives in tournaments, and just as importantly, you can trust his intentions as the current UU tier leader. If any of the TDs, including myself, want to impose upon his design, they should be prepared to express it publicly, supply adequate reasoning for it, and in cases where the vision of the tournament may be compromised, expect the response to be "No."

2. Many of us have ambitious ideas for tournaments, but there is always a degree of risk that comes with adoption. People took issue with the Snake draft format in part because it was seen as experimental compared to the established auction format. In some cases, we will find the need to test unproven formats, but there is no reason only one of the tournaments should be the constant subject. Once we establish a baseline parity between the two tournaments, any format revision must be also framed with the question "Why not (also) the other SPL?" This does not necessarily mean we will end up with identical formats, but for the most part, any adjustment made for one tournament must also suit the other if we believe them to be equal.

3. It was not the intention to slight Snake in this manner, but SPL has simply received more investment than Snake. The clearest example is the non-uniform branding. Hogg has already stepped up to rectify this with the aid of the incredible Zracknel. It doesn't stop there, though. We will need the community's continuous help to point out any areas where we may have unintentionally elevated one SPL and not the other. This is not a job we can do alone because so much of SPL is the work of volunteers and contributors, and none of them are obligated to ensure the parity of the two. It will be the TDs' continuous responsibility to identify gaps in one tournament and find people who can fill them if we can't do it ourselves. This is probably the biggest challenge, but one that I am absolutely optimistic about, given how engaged the entire community has been in the discussion on Discord and yes, even in the other thread. It is natural there will be disagreements, as for many who will be involved in this tournament, this will not be the main priority, nor does it need to be. Nonetheless, this initiative to reform Snake is the most enthusiastic I've seen people be about anything this year that has come from tournaments. I've been here long enough to recognize that this is a rare opportunity to make things better than they are and invest all our efforts into something unequivocally constructive.

---

Now, Doubles. I am sorry for making this the end of the post in a topic that was supposed to be about Doubles, but I felt it made logistical sense given the direction the thread had taken. As I said above, I want to leave no room for misinterpretation for the identities of the two tournaments, and granting an exception just reintroduces the subjectivity that caused these issues in the first place. It's been suggested that codifying the tier selection eliminates this subjectivity, but that's what we do now. The community doesn't see the selection as objective and opens debate on it every year. No category will ever be truly objective, sure, but some will be more than others. Moreover, while I appreciate that Doubles gains a lot from SPL, I don't think I can simultaneously say I believe that Doubles requires what it got out of the old SPL and that the new SPL will reach the same heights as the old one; it just feels like a disingenuous claim to make.

All that said, I am going with Tony's idea. The details will be worked out and the tournament schedule reworked to accommodate the new tournament. A simple OST idea makes sense to me, but I'm amenable to any other formats that the community might be interested in. The reason we are granting this exception to Doubles in particular is as follows:

1. The desire to sustain the circuit representation Doubles currently receives
2. The large infrastructure and community established by Doubles on this site and a desire to support them
3. The degree of community support expressed in this thread and elsewhere
4. The existing history of the VGC trophy and the role Doubles plays as its spiritual successor

None of these factors are by themselves considerations; only together do they warrant the exception we are making now.

It is true that balancing the circuit requires me to be impersonal, but that's also not how communities work, so I would like to formally apologize to the Doubles community and its leadership. I hope you can trust me to help make this tournament a success, just as I place my faith in you to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)