Social Online Dating

Online dating has been hit and miss. A couple interesting people, a lot of duds.

In general I find that people are even more particular about looks and vanity with online dating than in-person because, well, that's really all they have to go on. Which is ironic given how easy it is to just use a fake photo (granted, you eventually get caught).
Hence the advent of Tinder. They understand what people look for with online dating and get straight to the point, and I guess you could technically classify the app as "online dating" now.

Not something you would use for a serious relationship, though. If you match with 20 girls, you might get a reply from 1, and a lot of them have it for vanity (gauged by the number of matches) or in search of a cuddle buddy. I feel like I'm going to look back on all this one day and realize how weird college time is.

Don't diss it, though, Smogonites may find their perfect lady if they search hard enough
smogons perfect match.jpg

Any dude who says they don't swipe right on everyone is obviously a liar. I would get matched with straight guys half the time. They're in too much of a rush to get laid that they forgot to set it to vagina only.

A few of them were cool to talk to though.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Any dude who says they don't swipe right on everyone is obviously a liar. I would get matched with straight guys half the time. They're in too much of a rush to get laid that they forgot to set it to vagina only.

A few of them were cool to talk to though.
i'm p. sure i swipe left 2/3rds of the time - judging each girl is kinda fun and it helps me keep my catfish radar sharp

anyway tinder is a mixture of hilarious, voyeuristic, creepy and fun for me. I find it particularly funny when girls say in their bio something along the lines of "why do guys match and then don't say anything", because that basically says that the only guys who match them are those desperate enough to swipe right on everyone and even they have second thoughts about you

I don't do online dating because that's dumb (in my opinion) but there are plenty of people who just...randomly pm me because of my "pretty name" on Pokemon Showdown (it's Crymsia like it is here) and attempt asking for my age or for me to be their gf. It's kinda disturbing really...

In terms of actual online dating, I never did it and I don't think I ever will because right now I think it's cooler to meet someone with their real face and their real mind, without the Internet to hide who they really are.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I've been on OKC, Tinder, and Bumble since last July. (That's roughly nine months if you're keeping count.) I have managed exactly one first meetup of about 45 minutes. So, like, fuck you.

I'm not sure what's worse, the sheer amount of time I've wasted or the level of entitlement women have these days. Maybe things were different five years ago and I waited too long to get in the game, but I doubt it.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Maybe things were different five years ago
Yes, they were... Match.com has since bought all of the mainstream dating sites and apps, except for Bumble (which they tried to buy twice). OkCupid has become increasingly like Tinder and gradually lost key features, either entirely or they went behind the paywall.

I think nowadays people are generally more jaded by online dating as well. It's so ubiquitous now that everyone seems to have a bad experience to share.

I despise online dating, but tbh it feels like a necessary evil. I'll get into it for a month or so before deleting my profile on any sites I joined- after a while it feels like they go absolutely nowhere.

I might try again soon with the goal of trying to convert matches to video calls asap. The whole text chat thing is about as pleasant as wiping my ass with sandpaper. No idea if that'll work, but with no-one going anywhere due to virus it's probably necessary.

What sites do people recommend? Over the years I've tried Tinder, Bumble, OKCupid, PoF, CMB, Hinge, idk probably a few others

I have managed exactly one first meetup of about 45 minutes. So, like, fuck you.
I'm not sure what's worse, the sheer amount of time I've wasted or the level of entitlement women have these days.
not to sound flippant but like. have you considered that maybe your attitude is the problem

idk maybe self-awareness is too much to ask, but just a thought experiment here, bear with me. perhaps the kind of mindset that takes not being interesting to women as a shock and a travesty, and is built up with an earnest belief that women are entitled... is off-putting to women???

not to sound flippant but like. have you considered that maybe your attitude is the problem

idk maybe self-awareness is too much to ask, but just a thought experiment here, bear with me. perhaps the kind of mindset that takes not being interesting to women as a shock and a travesty, and is built up with an earnest belief that women are entitled... is off-putting to women???
I'm sure he didn't go into dating thinking women were entitled, but instead his experiences with women over the years led him to that conclusion. Nice strawman, though.

I agree with him - the average Western woman is entitled.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I've been on OKC, Tinder, and Bumble since last July. (That's roughly nine months if you're keeping count.) I have managed exactly one first meetup of about 45 minutes. So, like, fuck you.

I'm not sure what's worse, the sheer amount of time I've wasted or the level of entitlement women have these days. Maybe things were different five years ago and I waited too long to get in the game, but I doubt it.
I'm sure he didn't go into dating thinking women were entitled, but instead his experiences with women over the years led him to that conclusion. Nice strawman, though.

im shedding actual tears for you guys. so sad!

the only online dating I can recommend is this very forum, www.smogon.com
I despise online dating, but tbh it feels like a necessary evil. I'll get into it for a month or so before deleting my profile on any sites I joined- after a while it feels like they go absolutely nowhere.

I might try again soon with the goal of trying to convert matches to video calls asap. The whole text chat thing is about as pleasant as wiping my ass with sandpaper. No idea if that'll work, but with no-one going anywhere due to virus it's probably necessary.

What sites do people recommend? Over the years I've tried Tinder, Bumble, OKCupid, PoF, CMB, Hinge, idk probably a few others
Ever heard of Linkedin?

Anyone else feel like OkCupid has really just crumbled? OkCupid used to be such a good site where people could go and find likeminded matches with detailed profiles and lots of activity. Now it's like, a shell of its former self with really strange interaction requirements and inaccessible interface. As a result, it's a ghost town. There is barely anyone online or active compared to a few years ago.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've never been one to explain the joke, but I met my girlfriend princessofmusic through this website, we did some sprites for PS together. We've been dating since summer 2014.

I'm interested to hear how people are handling dating in this whole pandemic, are people more open to virtual dates and talks now? I would love to know.

Zodiax

not this
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
I've never been one to explain the joke, but I met my girlfriend princessofmusic through this website, we did some sprites for PS together. We've been dating since summer 2014.

I'm interested to hear how people are handling dating in this whole pandemic, are people more open to virtual dates and talks now? I would love to know.
Me and the guy I'm seeing are finding it difficult because we want to be there for each other in person but due to social distancing it's kinda hard. We FaceTime pretty much every night and watch films together through it too. Its not a natural thing for us but we know that in (hopefully) 1-2 months time that we'll be allowed to see each other again.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion

Well, that and the fact my so-called attitude (slash personality) can't possibly be the problem when women won't even spend enough time getting to know me to figure out what that is.

Lina

Creatures in Heaven
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To be honest, the online dating apps are pretty awful. OKCupid can be pretty hit and miss when it comes to the people you meet, sometimes you meet nice people who are interesting, sometimes you meet abusive 'nice guys' who think that they deserve a chance with you. Badoo, it only seems like people want one thing. Bumble seems to be for the laziest people who don't even try. Plenty of Fish only seems to be for absolute creeps.

I've had three main experiences with online dating. The first guy was nice, a bit of a gamer and anime nerd and was genuinely a very sweet and emotionally mature guy. The downside was that he was 11 years older than me and had two kids with one being close to my age and a 10 year old and was a practicing pagan who wanted to sacrifice live animals. As an animal lover, I hated that. I let him go pretty quickly after that.

The second was one of the worst out there and I wasted a month on him. He was closer to my age, at a similar life stage to me and enjoyed many of the same tv shows that I liked. First date was great but the second date, it was like he was a completely different person. When I decideded to break things off with him, he turned into one of the worst 'nice guy' I had ever met and felt entitled to be in a relationship with me because I was nice to him. He still messages me to this day.

The third was probably a lot better and I actually had some good experiences with him. We went to lunch on the first date which was great, we mostly talked about Pokemon. The second date we went bowling and had a lot of fun. The third date we went to a Japanese festival and also had a great time but I could tell that he was losing interest. I tried to talk to him after the date but he straight up ghosted me.

Overall, dating is hard but I feel like the apps infinitely make things ten times harder as there's more pressure. Nowadays with the whole pandemic stuff locking things down, it doesn't seem like people are interested into getting to know me and only seem to want one thing.

As anyone else actually ever dated someone from a Pokémon website (this one or any other)? I was 14 to be fair but I dated a girl I had met on a Pokémon fansite and that was probably the worst thing I've ever done lmao. Can anyone relate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)