OPEN DISCUSSION - Gym Concerns and Issues

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hai.

Cutting to the chase: I am stepping down from the Gym Committee effective immediately. I already announced that before in a more...melodramatic fashion, but I suppose I gotta make it official. The Committee has a replacement ready and they should announce it real soon. I just needed to finish water qualifiers before doing that.

I had a good run and enjoyed the term for the most part. We didn't manage to get to a full roster, but we are close enough to it for me to feel somewhat well about the work done. Now I am positive that the person who replaces me will do it better.

Sorry for my shortcomings and short temper lately. Sorry also for monopolizing the action in too many instances. The latter is just how I roll and it is an unfortunately characteristic of mine I gotta work on. The former I will spare the the explanation. Just tired I suppose.

enough babbling. Godspeed.

PS: I am just leaving the gym com, not anything else for now.

I'm potentially stepping out of line here but can any of Birkal Dogfish44 or Texas Cloverleaf explain to me the hold up in getting newly minted gym leaders open and accepting challenges? God knows it takes long enough to fill an open gym slot and now we have FMD who was announced November 11th and Ooraloo announced December 11th and neither of them have open gyms yet. They are both relatively active players, so while it may be the case I find it hard to believe they aren't actively trying to get an arena approved. Hell I know once I'd gone through all the effort of building a team and participating in qualifiers I couldn't wait to get the gym open and accepting challengers. Can any of you provide any kind of updates on the hold up here?

Just a bit busy, sorry for that. I had sent in my first draft of mechanics on the 24th of November. The committee members were rather busy, so the reviews weren't complete until the 6th of December. Review of the second draft was complete a week later. After that, I've just been busy and it's entirely my fault for that.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
To address deadfox081's concern, that is something I have noticed for a long time as well. I brought it up with the other gym committee members, and they gave no objection to the rule I'm about to implement for all future qualifiers. All applicants must present a work-in-progress (WIP) arena to be accepted for qualifiers. Note that applicants will not be judged on the plausibility nor quality of their arena; this rule is meant to get the gears turning in people's heads on what it would take to actually run the gym. I will also be imposing something close to a weeklong honeymoon phase after qualifiers are given a chance to edit and modify their arena before being open. I agree entirely that the turn-over is way too long, and I will personally be working to rectify this for all future implemented gym leaders.

Hope that addresses your concern adequately!

Toon

NOT A BUNNY!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
To address deadfox081's concern, that is something I have noticed for a long time as well. I brought it up with the other gym committee members, and they gave no objection to the rule I'm about to implement for all future qualifiers. All applicants must present a work-in-progress (WIP) arena to be accepted for qualifiers. Note that applicants will not be judged on the plausibility nor quality of their arena; this rule is meant to get the gears turning in people's heads on what it would take to actually run the gym. I will also be imposing something close to a weeklong honeymoon phase after qualifiers are given a chance to edit and modify their arena before being open. I agree entirely that the turn-over is way too long, and I will personally be working to rectify this for all future implemented gym leaders.

Hope that addresses your concern adequately!
Sorta, so when all applicants have an WIp arena we'll start quals as in get to see examiner's mons and later get matches started or what ? (if i completely missed this in your post then im sorry)

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Nah, when applicants send in a team for quals, they also will submit a WIP arena. Everything else will stay the same.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This is a more appropriate place to put this so:

Legendary Pokémon in Gyms, what do you think? Raised from this thread.

Do take this into account:
As a sidenote, gym committee is in agreement that our discretion has been sufficient to determine what legendaries can be brought by a leader and when. Mons brought by a challenger should be the focus of any discussion.
The discussion mostly occurred on pages 1 and 2 with deadfox's post being the last real major post on the matter.

Continue this discussion here unless the Gym Committee prefers it be in a different thread altogether.

I feel like it depends on whether the gym leader can bring a legend. Honestly, steamrolling is no fun.

The situation shouldn't be lopsided, so while psychic gym has its entire plethora of "what was gamefreak thinking" , normal gym can't do much to terrakion.

On to challengers. Generally having a legend is a sign of skill (let's ignore Gale's lending ideal). However, while the challenger may find it fun to steamroll a gym, that doesn't sound appealling to a leader at all. Gym leaders tend to prepare for threats they're likely to see, so if a terrakion shows up in normal gym, the game plan gets messed up. That's still fairly normal to deal with, however. But what happens when mmx pops in?
I feel like my examples are probably bad because normal has like.... regigigas

I have no idea how this would be regulated, but I definitely feel that the leader's ability to being legends should be factored in.

Last edited:
I'd say that as long as that specific gym doesn't have a queue, then it'd be acceptable. After all, it would be a shame for Frosty to be denied access to a large chunk of ASB content, even if he's already experienced it.

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I'd say more like make an even lower priority of challenger. Like (No ongoing > Ongoing > Excess > Repeat) should be the priority if repeats are allowed.

I'd say more like make an even lower priority of challenger. Like (No ongoing > Ongoing > Excess > Repeat) should be the priority if repeats are allowed.
Problem is, you're taking up space in the gym iin the case that someone else joins the queue after your match starts.
If you're that worried about slots, do the battle in a pm thread or something lol.

EDIT @ toon below:
I mean.... rechallenging a gym is in itself just for fun right? If you want rewards, it only takes 1 slot.
The preferred means is still "use a slot dammit you have 3 for a reason and that reason isn't flashes"

Last edited:
Reactions: FMD

Toon

NOT A BUNNY!
Problem is, you're taking up space in the gym iin the case that someone else joins the queue after your match starts.
If you're that worried about slots, do the battle in a pm thread or something lol.
Fair, but it Sounds like they should of join the queue sooner tbh :I and lol they can't wait for /one battle/ in front of them but w/e

Also no one wants to do pm battles unless it like for practice or something because you don't get actual rewards

Toon

NOT A BUNNY!
Hey how's the situation on Normal and Dragon quals (and flying but there's no sign ups so w/e) and what's going on with Dark and Bug? Abra asked for a DQ about a month ago and mowtom's dark match appears to also be dead

And bug gym hasn't accepted a match this year (she did say until gen 7 released but yea .3.)

Oh right I should do something here.

As far as Bug goes, Pallas Athena has not been online since Jan 1 so I'm going to go ahead and say it is vacated. If she returns before we run new qualifiers then they can be rescinded. For Dark I have contacted YellowAdminSilver and will wait for a response before determining our route there.

For the rest I will create another multi-gym qualifier thread to gauge interest and determine if/when qualifiers could be happening. Note: they may be under a new, yet to be confirmed format.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)