Resource ORAS Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Smogon(before starting sorry for bad english) im here to show 2 wonderful cores.
Both cores exploit a baitkill from the same move Natural Gift.

1.Talonflame + Azumarill

Sets

Talonflame @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- NATURAL GIFT
- Flare Blitz

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

Explanation
As i said before this core exploits Natural Gift , Talonflame is a great teammate for Azumarill especially with Liechi Berry set.
the biggest counters/checks of Azumarill are Ferrothorn; Rotom-W and Venusaur(Mega), that's why Talonflame is a good parter for Azu, after a dance kill ALL bunny counter , and no kill just Azu counter but can kill an obv switch-in Diancie(Mega) that no expect Natural Gift(Grass)

2.Tyranitar(Mega) + Azumarill

Sets
Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Azumarill @ Watmel Berry
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- NATURAL GIFT
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

Explanation
This time is Azuma with the berry, that give a fantastic support to TTar, Natural Gift(fire) Kill Ferrothorn, Scizor(Mega) and Venusaur incoming (obv not already Mega) leaving free road to Tyranitar(Mega) who with his bulkyness can dance and start to sweep.

That's all sorry again for bad english.

Last edited:

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Here are a couple of cores I've been using, nothing particularly creative about them but oh well

1) Breloom + Tyranitar + Excadrill (May have been posted here already, apologies if it has)

+
+

There are a few different sets this core could run (See explanation)

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Filler

Regarding different sets: Breloom can run a few sets, I chose Life Orb SD in this case but you could change it around and even run a Toxic Orb set if you like. Tyranitar I chose Scarf for this but again you can really switch it up with any tyranitar set. Berries like Shuca/Chople can work pretty nicely here. For TTar's filler you can use a variety of moves which also includes ice & fire coverage to help deal with Garchomp/Land-T/Gliscor or Mega Scizor/Ferrothorn. On Excadrill the set is pretty standard, you could run SD > Spin if you had other hazard removal or just don't need/want it but that's about it for Excadrill. The sets here are very changeable so feel free to do so.

Breloom + Sand is a pretty nice core, Tyranitar is able to provide sand for Excadrill, pursuit psychics like Lati@s for Breloom and also check birds like Talonflame. Excadrill (in sand) is able to outspeed pretty much everything and proceed to do what Excadrill does best. I'm sure you all know/can guess how sand cores work. Exca also provides a nice check to some fairies not named Azumarill like Clefable which TTar struggles with and Breloom is iffy against. Breloom does a number of things, provides some priority in Mach Punch (assuming you run a Technician set) and also checks some things that sand finds problematic like Hippowdon, Lando-T and a few Water types. Core should be fairly self explanatory.

2) Mega-Heracross + Weavile

+

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile
- Swords Dance

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit

This core functions similarly to some other Heracross cores posted here. But Weavile is able to Pursuit trap things like Lati@s for Heracross which are somewhat problematic for it. It's also able to beat things like Tankchomp, Lando-T, Gliscor, etc with its Ice Stab and also do some work vs Psychics that it's faster than like Mega Gardevoir. On top of this it's also very fast which allows it to outspeed some things like Torn-T, Starmie, etc. Getting rid of these things is obviously great for Heracross because it's a complete and utter savage. It can also help Weavile because it's able to pretty much body things like Ferrothorn & Tyranitar. I would hope this core is fairly self explanatory too.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I see this thread's coming back to life, so I've decided to pass you all a pretty simple, yet effective core.

Mega Scizor + Magnezone

The basis of this core is fairly simple: Mega Scizor is a strong pivot and cleaner with Swords Dance, Bullet Punch, and U-Turn. However, it has issues with bulky water types, steel types, and occasionally a flying type that resists Bullet Punch (Zapdos, Talonflame, Skarmory, Gyarados, etc.) What beats most all of these threats AND guarantees a kill on steel types? Magnezone. Magnezone can beat all the mons listed (except for Talonflame, who actually loses if it's the SpDef variant, and Zapdos with Heat Wave), allowing Mega Scizor to sweep and work as a pivot much easier. It also forms a nice, slow Volt Turn with Mega Scizor. The EV spread used is to outspeed standard defensive Rotom-W while maximizing bulk and attack. Obvious threats include Offensive Heatran, Zard X, and Offensive Talonflame.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 60 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hey guys, I see this thread's coming back to life, so I've decided to pass you all a pretty simple, yet effective core.

Mega Scizor + Magnezone

The basis of this core is fairly simple: Mega Scizor is a strong pivot and cleaner with Swords Dance, Bullet Punch, and U-Turn. However, it has issues with bulky water types, steel types, and occasionally a flying type that resists Bullet Punch (Zapdos, Talonflame, Skarmory, Gyarados, etc.) What beats most all of these threats AND guarantees a kill on steel types? Magnezone. Magnezone can beat all the mons listed (except for Talonflame, who actually loses if it's the SpDef variant, and Zapdos with Heat Wave), allowing Mega Scizor to sweep and work as a pivot much easier. It also forms a nice, slow Volt Turn with Mega Scizor. The EV spread used is to outspeed standard defensive Rotom-W while maximizing bulk and attack. Obvious threats include Offensive Heatran, Zard X, and Offensive Talonflame.

Scizor @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 60 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
And you plan on breaking bulky grounds HOW?! All bulky grounds + Spdef Talon are perhaps some of the best and most common answers to Mega Scizor, and this core does NOTHING to accomplish their removal. You trap Ferro and Skarm with Knock Off support, sure, but there's a lot that checks them as well as being an answer to bulky grounds (Keldeo for crying out loud, just as an example. Giga Drain Volcarona etc are also things.). I'd really recommend avoiding being this redundant and pick something with much more diversity of what it actually does for the Pokemon. For me, Mag cores almost certainly have to be 3 mon cores, and this is why.

Also, this core is really weak to Mega Manectric, which just makes what would arguably be the best partner for Mega Scizor, Specs Keldeo, very unappealing. Mega Venusaur also acting as a core smasher in this instance makes it even MORE unappealing. I hate to nitpick and would never normally challenge someone's core, but I felt like I should here because I saw a lot of glaring issues. Sorry if I came across as rude, just wanted my thoughts to be heard.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mag cores dont have to be 3 mon cores cause realistically 1 member of the core really take advantage of the steel trapping (mega altaria, mega scizor, etc, etc). To be fair, I dont how this mega scizor variant takes advantage of the steel trapping issue, it looks more like a supplement since this mega scizor variant can just u-turn out on its checks. This core looks more like a volt turn core with solid defensive backbone to back up a sweeper of some sort (something like normal dragon dance gyarados looking fresh here)

While it is ok to point out issues with the core, lets not act like it is the end of the world and how this core falls apart to everything. There are literally 4 mons left on that.

Mag cores dont have to be 3 mon cores cause realistically 1 member of the core really take advantage of the steel trapping (mega altaria, mega scizor, etc, etc). To be fair, I dont how this mega scizor variant takes advantage of the steel trapping issue, it looks more like a supplement since this mega scizor variant can just u-turn out on its checks. This core looks more like a volt turn core with solid defensive backbone to back up a sweeper of some sort (something like normal dragon dance gyarados looking fresh here)

While it is ok to point out issues with the core, lets not act like it is the end of the world and how this core falls apart to everything. There are literally 4 mons left on that.
I just wanted to point out how the Pokemon weakness stacking made what would usually be spectacular partners really unappealing. To me Mag cores need to be 3 mon cores because what takes advantage of the trapping (say my DDD MAlt core I posted a while back) usually has a LOT of trouble with something else (in this case, the answer was again some bulky grounds, along with Amoonguss, Gengar, and many other offensive threats such as Hoopa-U, so I chose fantastic offensive check in Weavle. Looking back at it, in retrospect, due to Tran + some other things like Quag, Mamoswine may have been a better idea). Magnezone eliminating one sub field of Pokemon as support for a bulky sweeper like Scizor or MAlt, as a result, usually, at least for me, warrants another slot on the core. I get that it also checks birdspam and waters but the main reason you're using mag for that is the trapping, y'know. Anyway enough chit chat from me lol, let's get some good cores in here :] I'll post one tomorrow if I have time (big if).

And you plan on breaking bulky grounds HOW?! All bulky grounds + Spdef Talon are perhaps some of the best and most common answers to Mega Scizor, and this core does NOTHING to accomplish their removal. You trap Ferro and Skarm with Knock Off support, sure, but there's a lot that checks them as well as being an answer to bulky grounds (Keldeo for crying out loud, just as an example. Giga Drain Volcarona etc are also things.). I'd really recommend avoiding being this redundant and pick something with much more diversity of what it actually does for the Pokemon. For me, Mag cores almost certainly have to be 3 mon cores, and this is why.

Also, this core is really weak to Mega Manectric, which just makes what would arguably be the best partner for Mega Scizor, Specs Keldeo, very unappealing. Mega Venusaur also acting as a core smasher in this instance makes it even MORE unappealing. I hate to nitpick and would never normally challenge someone's core, but I felt like I should here because I saw a lot of glaring issues. Sorry if I came across as rude, just wanted my thoughts to be heard.
HOLY SHIT! A 2 MON CORE IS WEAK TO SOMETHING!
Seriously, don't give me that shit. Of course it's weak to things. It's a fucking 2 mon core. I plan on breaking fat grounds with a mon I can put IN THE OTHER FOUR TEAM SLOTS. Use common sense please and thank you. Also, "All Mag cores need to be 3 mons imo" Someone never saw bludz' Magnezone + Gliscor. Please don't point out the obvious weaknesses of a 2 mon core.
Mag cores dont have to be 3 mon cores cause realistically 1 member of the core really take advantage of the steel trapping (mega altaria, mega scizor, etc, etc). To be fair, I dont how this mega scizor variant takes advantage of the steel trapping issue, it looks more like a supplement since this mega scizor variant can just u-turn out on its checks.
Honestly, it does U-Turn out, and then it goes into Mag on the predicted steel type switchin, guaranteeing the trap instead of hard switching in, which can be very predictable and easily taken advantage of.

Hi!

This is a core that I've been using on my HO team, and it's been working pretty well. It essentially focuses on mega Diance's ability to destroy HO mons with a rock polish set, which isn't seen too much in OU. When facing a balence build, Kyurem-B and Scizor punch huge holes in defensive mons to pave the way for a Diance sweep. I'll explain each set as I show them.

Fractal (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 68 Atk / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Rash Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Rock Polish

The star of this show, RP mega Diance has the tools it needs to level large portions of teams. The STABS are rather self-explanatory, nailing balence and HO staples like Torn-T and Kyurem-B. Earth power takes care of heatran and excadrill, the latter of which Diance can outspend under sand with a Rock Polish up. Magic bounce keeps thunderus from annoying me with priority T-Wave. I chose rash over mild to better take priority attacks. The speed EVs have already been mentioned (Outspeed exca under sand) with maxed out special attack to smash things with moonblast, and the rest is dumped in attack to increase the damage output of Diamond Storm.

Harvey_Dent (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Kyurem-B is a very good wallbreaker in OU, and I've personally always found in more useful that Hoopa-U. Its moves set is mostly standard, with STAB Ice beam, earth power to nail Heatran and Rotom-W, and Fusion Bolt to smash Slowbro, AV Torn-T, and other electric weak Pokemon. The somewhat odd move on this set is HP fire, which nails what would otherwise set up on Both Kyurem and Diance: Scizor. This set is very adept at luring in and eliminating Scizor and its mega, OHKOing all but the most specially bulky variants. Other than that, Kyurem-B just generally paves the way with great coverage and powerful attacks.

Eddie (Scizor) @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off

So, at this point I'm lacking anything that can handle powerful steel types. CB Scizor fixes this problem for the most part, checking Mmeta and Excadrill, Pivoting out on the first one and KOing the latter with superpower. However, I essentially just spam U-Turn early game, although Fatchomp gives it a tough time. It also has enough coverage to break through common walls Like Slowbro and Chansey. It actually does a hefty chunk to Mixed defensive hippowdon with U-Turn, netting switch advantage. Other than that, it's a solid revenge killer and momentum gainer for the offensive teams that this core will most likely be on.

So that's the core! Some good teammates would include Lando-T, forming a U-Turn core with Scizor and setting up rocks for this core to abuse. Latios is a good defogger, able to provide memento support for Diance to set up. Serperior can take advantage of Diance's soft checks like hippowdon and Rotom-W.

Fractal (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
EVs: 68 Atk / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Rash Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Rock Polish

Harvey_Dent (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Eddie (Scizor) @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Last edited:
CTRL+F=No Nidoking?!

This core is awesome. Nidoking has great offensive synergy with Mega Charizard, as it can kill off TankChomps and Defensive Landorus-T, which in general check it pretty well. It also screws over Mega Altaria if it lacks Earthquake in favor of Fire Blast, Heatran, choice-locked Azumarill, Tyranitar, Hippowdon, basically anything that can get in Mega Charizard's way. Nidoking serves as a fantastic balance breaker too, as it dismantles many common defensive cores through its wide coverage and gives Charizard the breathing room it needs to sweep. Charizard in return, punishes faster threats that can pretty easily get rid of Nidoking through their sheer speed factor, such as Weavile, Mega Manectric, even Mega Lopunny.

Threats to this core include Mega Altaria, Mega Alakazam, Keldeo, Mega Diancie, Sand, and Rain. So that makes Starmie a pretty great partner as it offers Hazard Control, a Keldeo switch-in, and a Speed Factor towards the two who are generally slow. Klefki is pretty great as well since if offers Spikes support, which fits with their breaking capabilities and the Speed Control is a godsend. Offensive Breakers such as Tornadus or Weavile are pretty great as well.
Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Scizor @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off/Bug Bite

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Trick
- Thunderbolt/Energy Ball
- Hidden Power Ice

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
Mega Scizor has quite a few checks and counters in the metagame that prevent it from sweeping. Literally all of those mons are pretty much handled by the other two members of the core. Water and ground types are both lit up by gothitelle as it caries specs hp ice and tbolt, both of which surprise said types of mons since goth doesn't usually carry it. Ferrothorn can also be somewhat of a nuisance to scizor sweeping, and azu lures that with banded play rough. Additionally, Skarm is trapped and murdered with specs tbolt by goth while azu murders every fire type in sight. This core has an extraordinarily hard time switching into zardy and isn't exactly the most sound core defensively, but if used well, it can result in quite a few megazor sweeps.

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
+
+

Scolipede @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab
- Aqua Tail

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry / Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch

So since STag is finally banned (Thank you voters!), I can finally play OU without the threat of evil GothStall. Today, I will posting a core I have made that has really good results so far. It is based around Swords Dance Scolipede, a very underrated threat that can clean up late-game really easily, even without a SD boost. I also really like the mindgames that are put to use with Pede, as most people predict a Protect, so they use some support move like Defog or something like that, and then they Defog or some support move and are surprised at the sight of a +2 Scolipede, which is scary as hell. Scolipede likes it's checks and counters, like bulky Grounds and Fire types, weakened, so Choice Band Azumarill is a great partner as it can wall both of these types pretty well and hits really hard. One of Scolipede's biggest enemies is the SmogonBird Talonflame, as it's priority Brave Bird goes through the Speed Boosts and KOs Pede. Therefore, Tyranitar is added to wall Talonflame, supply Rocks, and also be another Fire check and a neat Psychic check with Pursuit or Crunch. I like Chople Berry TTar as it can survive Kazam and Gengar's Focus Blasts and smack them with Pursuit or Crunch. Leftovers is also an option if you want TTar to live longer in the match, and if you're using Excadrill with this core, then Smooth Rock is an option. This core can struggle with a few threats, like Ferrothorn and Breloom, so a Fire or Flying type like Talonflame or Tornadus-Therian is a good partner with this core. Overall, this core is really cool as it showcases an underrated threat in Scolipede and can work pretty effectively. It's so nice to play OU again now that STag is banned, and thanks for voting ban on that guys!

Also, Fire Blast can be ran over Crunch on TTar to snipe Ferrothorn and hit Breloom for good damage.

Last edited:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
I'm gonna go ahead and remove all Gothitelle/Wobbuffet/Shadow Tag cores since STAG recently got banned, and I won't put them in the Old Cores since there's no cores for any previously banned mons (I'm basically following what previous owners of the thread did). This includes removing the ones from the Old Cores since they're no longer usable in OU.

I've been pretty busy with exams as of late, but I should be able to update the list by Sunday or Monday.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Balanced Core: M-Diancie + Xatu

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Xatu @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
Hazard control combo that isn't M-Sableye for more balanced teams. HP Fire for Ferrothorn, Scizor switch ins. Defensive Xatu assuming you kept rocks off checks non Ice Punch Medicham which coincidentally if it's Ice Punch you beat with Diancie. Bulk also allows you to pivot into Ferrothorn, not care about Amoonguss, keep rocks off against Tankchomp, with Thunder Wave helping supplement slower mons, not care about spikes, and so on. You can probably run different coverage depending on team needs but I like Air Slash personally. U-Turn > Baton Pass because of incompatibility with Magic Bounce. Still working on EVs and good partners but Rocky Helm Lando-T is pretty solid along with Kyurem-B I know for sure. I think Amoonguss has some merit since I liked it on the build I was using it on for Keldeo which is annoying. Something to handle Latis as well helps as you can tell lol. Diancie set is customizable but I'm a big fan of max attack for breaking stuff like Clef and putting the hurt on typical SpAtk Diancie switch ins.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-304014350 - Regular test match

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-303670339 - Average match between average guys. This is why we run +Spe Manaphy btw (He was using an old team fyi hence the neutral speed)

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam / Iron Head
- Fire Punch / Avalanche / Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

So yeah Mega Aggron is a bit unorthodox in this Metagame but it's actually an good glue for Offensive Teams because of the things it can come in on. So in general Mega Aggron struggles a lot with stuff like Keldeo, Mega Manectric, and Mega Charizard Y. This is where Latios is a really big help as it can come in on these threats and either heal up from the damage inflicted or threaten it out and lure in bulky Steels for Aggron to 2HKO. Mega Aggron in general helps out Offensive teams because it can switch in to the most troublesome threats to offensive like Azumarill (BIG ONE), Latios, Bisharp, Weavile, Mega Altaria, and Tornadus-T to an extent and either hit it with Heavy Slam with often times does pretty solid damage on a range of threats or you could run Iron Head for consistency, setup Stealth Rock, or even use Twave to offer a method of Speed Control. It's got Fire Punch too to lure Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn so that's a pretty big plus as well or you could run Avalanche to lure TankChomp and Defensive Landorus-T as well as hit Grass-types like Serperior and Celebi very hard. Hell you could even run Earthquake to get rid of Heatran and not get worn down so much by Magnezone that can trap it.

General threats to this core are faster threats in general like Mega Alakazam and Mega Lopunny, but Aggron has the bulk to take a SE hit from them and cripple it with TWave. TG + 3 Attacks Manaphy that packs Ice Beam is really hard to switch into as Latios then can't switch in if not predicted right. A secondary Talonflame check would be beneficial as without recovery on Aggron it can be worn down easily from the punishment it takes. In terms of teammates Manaphy, Azumarill or Feraligatr would be a good teammate as it appreciates Latios's ability to check a Mega Manectric, Aggron's ability to lure Ferrothorn and Scizor, and can break bulky grounds for the two who are troublesome for the core.

All in all this is a pretty great core.

Last edited:
Thor riding on a Poney & Hippo

+
+

T
hundurus when carrying Nasty Plot is an easy target to common revenge killers, so having partners that can handle majority of them is obviously required.
Keldeo can check Weavile, Mamoswine and Choice Scarfed Tyranitar and also benefit from Thundurus ability to weaken threats such as Clefable, Lati@s, M-Venu(if carrying HP Flying) and Celebi.
Meanwhile Hippowdown can take on M-Manectric, Raikou and Scarfed Tyranitar as well. Thundurus can also benefit from Stealth Rocks which makes the "road to sweep" easier in medium/late game.
Having an entry hazard removal mon in this core is recommended as it prevents Thundurus from taking any unecessary extra damage.

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice/ Hidden Power Flying
- Focus Blast

Keldeo @ Choice Specs/ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind/ Hidden Power Bug

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream/ Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge/ Toxic

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
So a heads up on the old cores section, I posted awhile back Char-X + Skarmory, think it falls under balance or defensive core. Before it was spdef Char-X I changed it to defensive variant in the post itself with an edit note to reflect that. Feel like it's more suitable these days.

Got a nice n solid offensive core right here.

Mega gyarados + SD breloom offensive core

Garry Springer (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Ice Fang/Substitute
- Waterfall

Bruce Leaf (Breloom) @ Fist Plate
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Swords Dance

Gyarados+breloom have fantastic offensive synergy with each other simply because of how gyarados beats pretty much all of brelooms counter which are celebi,venusaur-mega and Tornadus-T. After a single dragon dance gyarados can cause some serious damage to all three of these pokemon killing them off for breloom. In return breloom takes out bulky water types for mega gyarados. Spore also opens up free opportunities for gyarados to come in and setup which is really nice. Swords dance breloom is no slouch either, you might be wondering but why this over sash loom? sash loom is weak and fist plate boosts mach punches power without getting weakened by lo. But yeah pretty simple core where mon a weakens/removes stuff for mon b. Partner wise hazard removal from latios/latias works well here. Dont recommend using excadrill as you get 3 fighting weaknesses. Latios provides useful offensive synergy with the 2 while latias provides healing wish support. Wisp sd acro talonflame makes for a great offensive partner also as it burns a ton of things for gyarados and breloom while also removing a pretty big threat to this core if your running sub gyarados: Venusaur. Scarf jirachi is a nice partner also because it can kill off fairy types while mixrachi can also be used in order to lure in a bunch of things for mega gyarados. Mixrachi can also use healing wish. Tankchomp is also a pretty great partner for this core as it annoys talonflame pretty well which outright destroys this core assuming talon gets a +2 attack boost. This core absolutely hates Fast fairy types like diancie and mega gardevoir so make sure you have answers to these two. Electric types like mega manectric and thundy-T also can annoy this core pretty bad. As mentioned above fast fighting types can also trouble this core so pack checks to them.

I was under the impression that I've seen this core before in this thread, but how come I can't find it this time around o_0
Anyway, offensive core:

Mega Lopunny + Gengar

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast / Hidde Power [Fire]

Mega Lopunny is a powerful threat against offense, while Taunt Gengar is a powerful threat against stall. The idea is that pretty much anything that is used to wall Mega Lopunny can be broken by Gengar, which include physical walls (e.g. Skarmory, Hippowdon, Quagsire), bulky Fairy types (e.g. Clefable, Mega Altaria), bulky Psychic types (e.g. Celebi, Slowbro, Cresselia, Mega Metagross and Lati@s to a lesser extent because of the speed tie), bulky Grass types (Chesnaught, Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss). In addition to the complementary offensive coverage, these two are also great defensively. Mega Lopunny is immune to Ghost and resists Dark, while Gengar is immune to Fighting and resists Fairy. Scarf Landorus-T, one of Lopunny's most common checks, runs a lot of risk in using Knock Off or Stone Edge on Lopunny (especially if Ice Punch is revealed), while Gengar is immune to Earthquake and Superpower and 4x resists U-turn, so that's a solid switch option there.

The sets here are standard AoA and Taunt + 3 attacks sets, but they can vary depending on the rest of the team. HP Fire is slashed in Gengar, because it can be used to cheese any non-banded Scizor (when Gengar is healthy), a threat to both Lop and Gengar. Lop's set has even more flexibility -- pretty much anything in its vast pool of options is ok, it doesn't really matter for the purpose of this core.

Faster threats / priority users threaten this core: Mega Alakazam, Mega Aerodactyl, Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Thundurus, Scarf Latios etc. Things like Lati@s and Mega Metagross are also troublesome, because of the speed tie 50-50 (or if HP Fire is used, they outspeed Gengar). If not running HP Fire, Scizor is also a big threat to both.

Jolly Talonflame seems like a good partner here, able to out prioritize most of the list, outspeeds and nukes Thundurus and Metagross with Flare Blitz. Also checks Scizor. Raikou is also a good partner as well.

I was under the impression that I've seen this core before in this thread, but how come I can't find it this time around o_0
Anyway, offensive core:

Mega Lopunny + Gengar

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast / Hidde Power [Fire]

Mega Lopunny is a powerful threat against offense, while Taunt Gengar is a powerful threat against stall. The idea is that pretty much anything that is used to wall Mega Lopunny can be broken by Gengar, which include physical walls (e.g. Skarmory, Hippowdon, Quagsire), bulky Fairy types (e.g. Clefable, Mega Altaria), bulky Psychic types (e.g. Celebi, Slowbro, Cresselia, Mega Metagross and Lati@s to a lesser extent because of the speed tie), bulky Grass types (Chesnaught, Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss). In addition to the complementary offensive coverage, these two are also great defensively. Mega Lopunny is immune to Ghost and resists Dark, while Gengar is immune to Fighting and resists Fairy. Scarf Landorus-T, one of Lopunny's most common checks, runs a lot of risk in using Knock Off or Stone Edge on Lopunny (especially if Ice Punch is revealed), while Gengar is immune to Earthquake and Superpower and 4x resists U-turn, so that's a solid switch option there.

The sets here are standard AoA and Taunt + 3 attacks sets, but they can vary depending on the rest of the team. HP Fire is slashed in Gengar, because it can be used to cheese any non-banded Scizor (when Gengar is healthy), a threat to both Lop and Gengar. Lop's set has even more flexibility -- pretty much anything in its vast pool of options is ok, it doesn't really matter for the purpose of this core.

Faster threats / priority users threaten this core: Mega Alakazam, Mega Aerodactyl, Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Thundurus, Scarf Latios etc. Things like Lati@s and Mega Metagross are also troublesome, because of the speed tie 50-50 (or if HP Fire is used, they outspeed Gengar). If not running HP Fire, Scizor is also a big threat to both.

Jolly Talonflame seems like a good partner here, able to out prioritize most of the list, outspeeds and nukes Thundurus and Metagross with Flare Blitz. Also checks Scizor. Raikou is also a good partner as well.
Already a posted core. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-good-cores-check-post-714.3524713/page-10#post-5987508

Balanced Core

Mega Ampharos + Skarmory

+

I personally like this balanced core between M-Ampharos and Skarmory as they can both cover their weaknesses pretty decently. Ampharos takes care of water and fire type mons that Skarmory struggles with, for the other side, Skarmory can take on Dragon, Fairy, and physical Ice type moves and has an immunity to Ground moves that threaten Ampharos.

If Ampharos is running Agility, Skarmory can help it sweep setting up hazards whenever it can do it. At +2 speed M-Ampharos out speeds everything in the OU tier (except for common scarfers) and Pokémon with more than 377 speed, which means that Tornadus-T is outspeeded after an Agility with Modest Nature.

Special attention to Unaware Quagsire because it's a big threat to this core. Also a few other mons that threaten this core are M-Zard X if Ampharos it's not with 1 Agility up or if Charizard it's +1 speed. And M-Manectric can also put on a lot of work against this team.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Iron Head
- Whirlwind/Taunt

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Balanced Core

Mega Ampharos + Skarmory

+

I personally like this balanced core between M-Ampharos and Skarmory as they can both cover their weaknesses pretty decently. Ampharos takes care of water and fire type mons that Skarmory struggles with, for the other side, Skarmory can take on Dragon, Fairy, and physical Ice type moves and has an immunity to Ground moves that threaten Ampharos.

If Ampharos is running Agility, Skarmory can help it sweep setting up hazards whenever it can do it. At +2 speed M-Ampharos out speeds everything in the OU tier (except for common scarfers) and Pokémon with more than 377 speed, which means that Tornadus-T is outspeeded after an Agility with Modest Nature.

Special attention to Unaware Quagsire because it's a big threat to this core. Also a few other mons that threaten this core are M-Zard X if Ampharos it's not with 1 Agility up or if Charizard it's +1 speed. And M-Manectric can also put on a lot of work against this team.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Iron Head
- Whirlwind/Taunt
Timid is better on Agility MAmphy imo because it lets u oupace mlopunny, but other than that I can confirm this is a very solid core having used it in the past

+

Magnezone + Serperior

Been a while since I've posted a core, anyway I'm back again with really interesting duo between serp and mag
This may seem like odd but it can work really well

Normally serperior face trouble against things like stallbreaker talonflame, heatran, Mega altaria, and etc
With hp fire magnezone in the back serperior doesn't necessarily need to run hp fire and can run ground to lure heatran in and weaken it, letting mag and teammate having easier time, and mostly weakening ground type which zone hates getting blocked by,

Scarf magnezone on the other side can check non eq or fire blast Mega altaria, scizor, ferrothorn, skarmory, (since not running hp fire), unaware specially defensive clefable easily and even talonflame if serperior can land glare on the switch

Generally the goal is to help serperior clean up late game

Some weakness include low kick weavile which doesn't care about magnezone and can revenge kill it, serperior, tornadus, dragonite, flare blitz talonflame(if you can't predict switch and glare), chansey, mega venusaur which still walls serperior endlessly, and etc, generally fast pokemon that can outspeed these two are problematic so you need answer for that

Any comments would be appreciated [:

[show]
Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Leaf Storm
- Glare or Giga drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Last edited:
Mega Metagross + Talonflame + Raikou
Offensive Core

Sets:
Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Brief Close-Up:
This Core is Amazingly Strong. And good sinergy too. Talonflame can become a win Con sweeper or at least punch some holes in teams, while MMetagross Helps against stuff like MVenusaur and check Tyranitar, while Raikou can CM sweep until A MVenusaur or Quag Appears.

Weaknesses:
-Most Water/Ground Types, especially with Recovery
-Sand Offense and Hippowdon
-Weavile if Switching in against him.
-Mega charizard X, since he can either kill or set up on them.
-Mega swampert in rain
-Landorus-T. He annoys the crap out of this core.

Reccomendations:
-Since Sand Offense and Zard X are a Huge problem same with Water/Grounds, stuff like Lando T can handle Zard X especially Rocky Helmet.
-But as for Water/Ground, stuff like Celebi or Latis or sometimes Keldeo help unless its Gastrodon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)