Resource ORAS Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got two cores for ya

Mega Aerodactyl + Keldeo + Gengar
+
+

This core is based around SubCM Keldeo, with Aero and Gengar helping support its sweep by destroying offense and trapping threats to the core and breaking fatter teams down,
respectively. Keldeo is the most important part of the core, as it checks a bunch of annoying stuff like Weavile, (Mega) Scizor, Tyranitar, Mega Sableye, Bisharp, Chansey/Blissey, Landorus-T, Gliscor, etc., all while setting up CMs and sweeping through teams pretty easily when its checks are gone. Pursuit Mega Aerodactyl supports the team by checking fast threats like (Mega) Alakazam, Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Lati@s, Serperior, Gengar, Keldeo, Torn-T, Charizard X and Y, Mega Gallade, and so on. It also softens up stuff like Tentacruel and Rotom-Wash for the others to break through later. Gengar is an excellent wallbreaker and stallbreaker, so it fits the core nicely imo. It destroys stuff like Fairies, bulky Psychics, Rotom-Wash, etc., while stallbreaking easily with Taunt. Defensively, this core is weak to stuff like Sand, and BD Azumarill, so checks to them, such as Lando-T and Rotom-w, respectively, are recommended. Hazard removal is appreciated, too, from the likes of Latias.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 168 HP / 124 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Fire Fang

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Keldeo-Resolute @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Mega Altaria + Suicune + Talonflame
+
+

This is a cool balanced core which is aimed to check a bunch of threats offensively and defensively, all while sweeping late game. DDD Mega Altaria checks stuff like Rotom-w, Thundurus, Keldeo, and Mega Slowbro, while supporting the team and itself with Heal Bell. Suicune checks loads of stuff too, like Mega Diancie, Excadrill, Talonflame, and Heatran, while phasing out other setup sweepers, like Unaware CM Clefable and CM Slowbro with Roar, which annoy this core otherwise. Talonflame is the final part of the core, and it checks stuff annoying to the core, like Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, Gengar (offensively), Magnezone, etc.
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Roar

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration (you could use max happiness return but fuck ditto)
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe (this is the bulkier spread but max/max is fine)
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Last edited:
Mega metagross + Azumarill+ Kyurem black

+
+

This core seems pretty common and it's popular but I felt like it needed to be mentioned again.
To be honest I've used this core a lot also, and found it effective

This is really basic offensive core, one mon weakens stuff then others plow through

Metagross is usually troubled my pokes like skarm, slowbro(if you decide not to run grass knot) hippo, lando t, gliscor and garchomp( not running ice punch), and etc, where as Kyurem b can put big dent with ice beam and fusion bolt, so can azumarill

Now there is Azumaril, a powerhouse that can also put dent through all ground types that I listed above, it can also hit ferrothorn hard with superpower so that it can get into kyurem-b's lo ice beam range. Azumaril usually struggle to break through Amoonguss, Mega venusaur, tentacruel, skarmory, bulky rotom wash, bulky celebi, which metagross or kyu-b can help around with, also if lati twin tries to threaten kyu-b with draco, azumarill and meta can get a switch in

For last there is Kyurem black, this guy is powerful wallbreaker and doesn't have that many switch-in, but ferrothorn with sp def investment, clefable, Conk, Mega diancie and gardevoir(not a switch in) are some mon that can give kyurem-b some degree of an issue, which is why metagross is here, since he can remove or severely dent with dual strong stab and hammer arm

This core seems to struggle a lot against Mega scizor(if azumarill don't decide to run cb) and bulky jirachi(because of this hammer arm can be replaced to eq), gengar( forces speed tie and really ruins this core), etc, so putting some check to these mons would come in really handy along with cleric support, since burn from scald can really ruin this core

I would be glad to hear what people think about this core, perhaps good partner to add to this core would be nice <:

[Show]
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Grass Knot

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower or knock off

Last edited:

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
Defensive Core:

Ferrothorn + Heatran + Rotom-W

A pretty decent F/W/G core that I adopted after struggling against it in a few OU battles. The defensive synergy of Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Rotom-W can be hard to break when used well. Ferrothorn's Fire weakness is tended to with use of Rotom's resistance and Heatran's brilliant ability in Flash Fire. The two also cover its other weaknesses with Magnezone, Mega Scizor, Clefable, and the not so common Zapdos being taken care of by Heatran while Rotom takes care of Keldeo and Mandibuzz while also crippling physical Fighting attackers with Will-o-Wisp (bar Conkeldurr). Heatran's ground weakness is taken care of with Rotom-W with the exception of Mold Breaker Excadrill which Ferrothorn can wall with ease. Ferrothorn helps Heatran out by covering threats including most bulky water types, Altaria (unless Altaria has Fire Blast over Earthquake, in which case Heatran covers it for Ferrothorn), and opposing Rotom-W. Other threats such as Tyranitar, Garchomp and Gliscor are checked by Rotom-W. Finally, most Fairies, Dragons, and Grass types that give Rotom a problem are handled by either Ferrothorn and Heatran.

Things to look out for:
  • Mega Sableye. It is a pain in the arse to break through with this core.
  • Heracross and Conkeldurr. These two cut through this core like a hot knife through helium.
  • Mold Breaker Excadrill. In experience, Ferrothorn does not check Mold Breaker Excadrill enough.
  • Keldeo. Rotom-W handles it pretty decently but it might not be enough.
  • Breloom. For obvious reasons.
  • Mega Charizard. If either are running Earthquake then it eats this core alive.
  • Kyurem-Black. If it's running HP Fire then it breaks the core.
  • Lum Berry Chomp can also threaten the core if Rotom is weakened
Good Team-mates:
  • Mega Altaria. It takes care of all of the threats outlined except Excadrill and DDD can take care of Mega Charizard X.
  • AV Tornadus-T. Forms a Volt-Turn core with Rotom-W. An AV set works best from experience. It also takes care of Breloom, Keldeo, Heracross, and Conkeldurr (be wary of Ice Punch though) and Garchomp if you choose to run Icy Wind.
  • Pursuit trappers. If you want to stack hazards with Ferrothorn and Heatran, you will want to eliminate any Defoggers or Rapid Spinners. The most common ones are Psychic but do beware of Excadrill.
  • Landorus-T. Forms a Volt-Turn core with Rotom-W and also deals with Excadrill amongst other things. Who cares, it handles Excadrill, it's great!
  • Pretty much anything that takes care of Excadrill. ANYTHING. JUST GET THAT GODDAMN MOLE OUT OF SIGHT.
Sets:
The sets you use for Ferrothorn and Heatran can vary, but these are the sets that I use. If you want to try out offensive Tran, go ahead.
Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Roar

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Sorry if I've missed anything but it's my first time writing one of these. If I have missed anything or gotten something wrong, do quote me and point it out. I will fix the post accordingly.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Defensive Core:

Ferrothorn + Heatran + Rotom-W

A pretty decent F/W/G core that I adopted after struggling against it in a few OU battles. The defensive synergy of Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Rotom-W can be hard to break when used well. Ferrothorn's Fire weakness is tended to with use of Rotom's resistance and Heatran's brilliant ability in Flash Fire. The two also cover its other weaknesses with Magnezone, Mega Scizor, Clefable, and the not so common Zapdos being taken care of by Heatran while Rotom takes care of Keldeo and Mandibuzz while also crippling physical Fighting attackers with Will-o-Wisp (bar Conkeldurr). Heatran's ground weakness is taken care of with Rotom-W with the exception of Mold Breaker Excadrill which Ferrothorn can wall with ease. Ferrothorn helps Heatran out by covering threats including most bulky water types, Altaria (unless Altaria has Fire Blast over Earthquake, in which case Heatran covers it for Ferrothorn), and opposing Rotom-W. Other threats such as Tyranitar, Garchomp and Gliscor are checked by Rotom-W. Finally, most Fairies, Dragons, and Grass types that give Rotom a problem are handled by either Ferrothorn and Heatran.

Things to look out for:
  • Mega Sableye. It is a pain in the arse to break through with this core.
  • Heracross and Conkeldurr. These two cut through this core like a hot knife through helium.
  • Mold Breaker Excadrill. In experience, Ferrothorn does not check Mold Breaker Excadrill enough.
  • Keldeo. Rotom-W handles it pretty decently but it might not be enough.
  • Breloom. For obvious reasons.
  • Mega Charizard. If either are running Earthquake then it eats this core alive.
  • Kyurem-Black. If it's running HP Fire then it breaks the core.
  • Lum Berry Chomp can also threaten the core if Rotom is weakened
Good Team-mates:
  • Mega Altaria. It takes care of all of the threats outlined except Excadrill and DDD can take care of Mega Charizard X.
  • AV Tornadus-T. Forms a Volt-Turn core with Rotom-W. An AV set works best from experience. It also takes care of Breloom, Keldeo, Heracross, and Conkeldurr (be wary of Ice Punch though) and Garchomp if you choose to run Icy Wind.
  • Pursuit trappers. If you want to stack hazards with Ferrothorn and Heatran, you will want to eliminate any Defoggers or Rapid Spinners. The most common ones are Psychic but do beware of Excadrill.
  • Landorus-T. Forms a Volt-Turn core with Rotom-W and also deals with Excadrill amongst other things. Who cares, it handles Excadrill, it's great!
  • Pretty much anything that takes care of Excadrill. ANYTHING. JUST GET THAT GODDAMN MOLE OUT OF SIGHT.
Sets:
The sets you use for Ferrothorn and Heatran can vary, but these are the sets that I use. If you want to try out offensive Tran, go ahead.
Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Roar

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Sorry if I've missed anything but it's my first time writing one of these. If I have missed anything or gotten something wrong, do quote me and point it out. I will fix the post accordingly.
I'd give Lefties a slash on Ferro too as it is also a very valid option on the core.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Is there a possibility that the winners and runner-ups on the type cores thread could go here, to significantly up the amount of cores here? It adds another 50-ish cores to the list.
I'll consider it, but I'm definitely not adding all of them, simply because some cores only won cause it was posted by a popular person, and there were cores that were better that didn't win, but I'll add some of them like Zard X + Serp + Starmie.

I'll consider it, but I'm definitely not adding all of them, simply because some cores only won cause it was posted by a popular person, and there were cores that were better that didn't win, but I'll add some of them like Zard X + Serp + Starmie.
Then add some of the good ones.

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
I'd give Lefties a slash on Ferro too as it is also a very valid option on the core.
Like I said, the set can change but I just posted my sets so people can c/p it quickly. Shed Shell is also a viable option if you don't like playing around Magnezone.
I've not tested any other Heatran sets because their playstyles differ too much from SpDef Tran but I would assume those are also pretty viable options. :]

Mega Medicham + Calm Mind Clefable + Rotom-Wash

Yo! Darkreaper here again with another Dank core. This is a balanced core that I have been working on for a while. I went with a balanced core because there are only 2 and 1 of them is mine.... Anyways, on to the sets!
High Jump Miss (Medicham-Mega) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

The mega medicham name lives up to itself way too much :[
Set Details: Anyways I started off with mega medicham, a mega that is getting the praise it deserves as a top tier wallbreaker. Now Mega medicham is countered Clefable does it's job here setting up all over it's faces. Calm Mind clefable is one of the best pokemon in the tier, capable of pulling wins out of it's ass and beating it's "counters" with thunder wave and calm mind as you can see from one of my replays. Rotom-Wash Glues the core together solving the horrendous weakness to birds, especially talonflame while providing a slow pivot to get mega medicham in to wallbreak.

Good Partners: This core needs an answer to both charizard mega evolutions and appreciates a slow U-turner, hazard control and all that. I chose latios and defensive landorus therian on my team to patch that up. After mega medicham breaks, the core loves something to clean up late game and heavily threaten offense. There are a variety of mons that can do that, but I went with a favorite of mine, SD talonflame.

Replays

Thanks for taking a look at this core!

Volcarona + Hippowdon Balanced Core

Volcarona @ Passho Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

This is a solid balanced core, if by 'balanced' you mean 'if I see another M-Alakazam spikes stacking team I'm gonna have a stroke'. M-Alakazam and Scizor / Alakazam and M-Scizor, both increasingly common cores on the ladder nowadays, are manhandled by Volcarona. Allowing it to get a boost or two makes sure that only its most surefire detractors in Talonflame, Heatran and Char-Y can stop it, along with more offensive answers like Klefki and Thundurus.

This is where Hippowdon shines, running a SpDef set that can easily answer these threats (bar GK Thundy and Char-Y that know you have Stone Edge), while still handling things like M-Lopunny. More importantly though, Hippo also handily dismantles the equally infuriating Lando-T + Raikou VoltTurn core, which is also rapidly gaining popularity. Not even Specs Raikou can smash through Hippo, and only SD Earth Plate variants of Lando-T threaten you. Sand Force is mainly because Volcarona doesn't appreciate sand damage at all.

Incidentally, things like SD Lando-T and other SD sweepers are an issue for this core, since Hippo's spread is more suited for handling metagame trends and supporting Volcarona than being a standalone stop to physical sweepers. Things like Skarmory and Rotom-W are good in scenarios like this, although you must be immensely wary about Smack Down, which is a little more common nowadays on offensive Lando-T sets outside of Scarf. Char-X is rather scary as well, so be prepared to carry a check to it while it's at +1, like (M-)Slowbro, M-Altaria and the like. Magnet Rise Klefki is still a damn pain, especially if it also runs Toxic, which is where Heal Bell users come in handy, like Clefable.

Hazard removal is rather obvious as well, so things like Reflect Type Starmie and Lati@s can deal with Char-Y as well as clear your side of the field. Be wary with Defog though, as Volcarona really likes having SR on the enemy's side to get OHKOs in situations where it's unwise to boost up. While Volc does carry Passho to piss on things like Manaphy and Azu, it should by no means be your only water check. If you're facing some variation of heavy Water-type offense, be it Rain or just Manaphy + Azu/Gatr or something, I would (very generally) prioritize special attackers like Manaphy to be dealt with by Volc, and physical attackers by things like M-Venusaur/Amoonguss or M-Altaria. Naturally, there are exceptions, like Azu, but judgment of which check is appropriate at which time is reliant on the match itself and will never be a static answer.

Last edited:
The TrapTrapLoom

Wobbuffet @ Custap Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Breloom @ Fist Plate
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore

Breloom is a monster right now, with Mach Punch posing a huge threat to offense and Spore + SD being so powerful against stall. It struggles against Skarm and Scizor though, which 'Zone loves to take on. He has no issues removing them. He does always tempt Excadrill in, who Loom loves to set up on. Wobbuffet is another amazing 'mon right now. He beats most things faster than Breloom, and Custap + DB means he can usually take at least one if not 2-3 pokemon down.

This core needs a bit of support - namely hazards, a switch in for Latios if Wobb goes down (Bish, Tar or AV Hoopa-U are great) and something which doesn't mind taking hits from Tflame and other physical attackers like Lando-T. Chomp can SR and take on Smogon bird, he makes a good partner.

It's not perfect, but it's a lot of fun. Requires a bit of prediction but so satisfying to use - it also leaves your mega slot free.

The TrapTrapLoom

Wobbuffet @ Custap Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Breloom @ Fist Plate
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore

Breloom is a monster right now, with Mach Punch posing a huge threat to offense and Spore + SD being so powerful against stall. It struggles against Skarm and Scizor though, which 'Zone loves to take on. He has no issues removing them. He does always tempt Excadrill in, who Loom loves to set up on. Wobbuffet is another amazing 'mon right now. He beats most things faster than Breloom, and Custap + DB means he can usually take at least one if not 2-3 pokemon down.

This core needs a bit of support - namely hazards, a switch in for Latios if Wobb goes down (Bish, Tar or AV Hoopa-U are great) and something which doesn't mind taking hits from Tflame and other physical attackers like Lando-T. Chomp can SR and take on Smogon bird, he makes a good partner.

It's not perfect, but it's a lot of fun. Requires a bit of prediction but so satisfying to use - it also leaves your mega slot free.
Magneton seems like it would work better than Magnezone in this core since it outspeeds Talonflame, Torn-T and Weavile, all huge threats to Breloom.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yes I am evil
An "I-don't-even-know-how-to-categorise-this-cancer" core (plus variations)
Wobbuffet @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 28 HP / 240 Def / 220 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Safeguard

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Fire / Thunderbolt / Calm Mind
- Rest

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty / Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Memento
- Stealth Rock / Sucker Punch
This core takes everything that everyone hates about trappers and turns it into terrifying support for powerful sweepers like Zard X, M-Altaria, NP Thundurus(-T) and Azumarill and deadly wincons like Manaphy. The sheer utility of having a vast number of trappers pressures your opponent and severely limits their options significantly, forcing them to play outside of their comfort zone. The EVs don't do anything special other than Wobb's, which takes Adamant LO Bish's Knock Off from full and outpaces Quagsire.

However, the thing about this core that makes it so scary is that it isn't just limited to these three Pokemon. The core above is an example of the core, but the key word there is example. There are a huge number of variations which are well-equipped to dealing with different types of teams and supporting different Pokemon, and that can make it a terror to face.. I am going to post a basic list below (i.e. without sets) to show you the sheer versatility when using this type of core:

You may have noticed the presence of Gothorita and Wynaut in some of those cores. This is because they achieve similar things to their evolved formes and allow for varied strategies when used together. Gothorita+Gothitelle allows for 2 Calm Mind stallbreaks or it can allow for you to change up your strategy from coverage to setup depending on the matchup. Wobb+Wynaut allows Speedy Tickle+Eviolite Safeguard and Custap D-Bond+Eviolite Safeguard to be on the same team.

This list is also before the consideration of 4-mon cores, which further limits what your opponent can do and increases the number of traps you can make per match at the cost of losing a sweeper/wincon.

=============================================

You're Wobb spread is inefficient. With that type of core I believe the Standard Mixed Spread is better than SpDefensive.

Also I agree with Magneton over Magnezone since Talonflame ravages that core.
Wobbuffet @ Cutsap Berry
EVs: 12 HP / 248 Def / 228 SpD / 20 Spe
- Destiny Bond
- Mirror Coat
- Counter
- Encore

The EVs take an unboosted Knock Off from Adamant Life Orb Bisharp and outpace neutral-natured Quagsire while maximising its overall bulk.
Actually, the SpD spread works very well with the core due to it allowing the core to deal with its weakness to Mega Manectric, making taking hits from it and repeatedly either punishing it for staying in on Wobb or guaranteeing huge damage on whatever it Volt Switches into a priority for the set. However, Colbur with Safeguard and enough investment for Bisharp is probably wise in this case, so you aren't completely wrong in that respect.

Last edited:
Mega metagross + Azumarill+ Kyurem black

+
+

This core seems pretty common and it's popular but I felt like it needed to be mentioned again.
To be honest I've used this core a lot also, and found it effective

This is really basic offensive core, one mon weakens stuff then others plow through

Metagross is usually troubled my pokes like skarm, slowbro(if you decide not to run grass knot) hippo, lando t, gliscor and garchomp( not running ice punch), and etc, where as Kyurem b can put big dent with ice beam and fusion bolt, so can azumarill

Now there is Azumaril, a powerhouse that can also put dent through all ground types that I listed above, it can also hit ferrothorn hard with superpower so that it can get into kyurem-b's lo ice beam range. Azumaril usually struggle to break through Amoonguss, Mega venusaur, tentacruel, skarmory, bulky rotom wash, bulky celebi, which metagross or kyu-b can help around with, also if lati twin tries to threaten kyu-b with draco, azumarill and meta can get a switch in

For last there is Kyurem black, this guy is powerful wallbreaker and doesn't have that many switch-in, but ferrothorn with sp def investment, clefable, Conk, Mega diancie and gardevoir(not a switch in) are some mon that can give kyurem-b some degree of an issue, which is why metagross is here, since he can remove or severely dent with dual strong stab and hammer arm

This core seems to struggle a lot against Mega scizor(if azumarill don't decide to run cb) and bulky jirachi(because of this hammer arm can be replaced to eq), gengar( forces speed tie and really ruins this core), etc, so putting some check to these mons would come in really handy along with cleric support, since burn from scald can really ruin this core

I would be glad to hear what people think about this core, perhaps good partner to add to this core would be nice <:

[Show]
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Grass Knot

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower or knock off
Magnezone Is like the best teammate to this core

Here is my core (i kinda went overboard with the last 1)

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm /Giga Drain
- Leech Seed/Substitute
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 72 Def / 192 SpD
Calm Nature
- Earth Power /Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Magma Storm

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Counter
- Whirlwind/Spikes

This team has decent sinergy. Mega Sceptile handles Skarmory's electric threats bar HP Ice, which heatran is there for: to sponge Mega Sceptile's ice weakness. Both Mega Sceptile and Heatran literally cover Skarmory's weakness to electric and fire. Heatran also counters Mega Sceptile's usual counters: Fat Grasses like Celebi or Mega Venusaur, Clefable Togekiss and Talonflames. Skarmory offers a good tank for most grounds and physically offensive mons barring Mega Medicham Zard X etc.

This team loves having something that handle electric well like Bulky grounds (especially for HP ice) like Hippowdon Mamoswine etc. As they can both stealth rock and in Mamoswine's case literally wall electrics barring Thundy (OU electrics only)
This team also appreciates Clerics and/or a counter to Mega Medicham, which gives this team problems. And this team needs a good answer to Bisharp And Keldeo, as they can get annoying.

I have a nasty Hyper Offensive core for you.

Gengar + Keldeo + Mega Manectric

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond/Taunt/Thunderbolt/Icy Wind/Knock Off

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This Hyper Offensive Core covers its Counters well.

Gengar hates facing Mega Sableye Sp.Def and Faster Pokemon like Torn T and Weavile etc. I find a lot of teams weak to this thing so i might as well give this a way.
Mega Manectric is a just a huge offensive threat. Its coverage is really hard to stop without using Kyub or Hippowdon or heatran etc. And I find a lot of Teams Weak to Mega Manectric.
Keldeo is just a huge international threat to the point that he has more counters to him than any other pokemin in the OU metagame. At least in my experience.

This team covers so much offensive ground. If youre weak to gengar you have to find your way aroubd Mega Manectric and Keldeo as well.

Latis counters are needed. A pursuit trapper is deeply appraciated here. Like Weavile. Lando T is a boon but SD + Super Power Quake/Edge-Smack Down is good here also.

Watch out for Hoopa U as it makes this team very fragile. Same for Mega Altaria and Medocham. Find at least checks for them as this is hyper offense

Last edited by a moderator:
Time for a new one I've been messing around with and have had a great deal of fun using as of late.

GREEN GRASS GRADATION

Breloom is VERY good in the meta right now, as you all probably know. It has strong priority in Mach Punch, Spore, and the ability to dismantle slower teams. However, the Lati twins, psychics in general, and flying types all hinder Breloom. What's the solution? Choice Scarf Tyranitar, obviously. Scarf TTar can function well against offense, deal with the previously mentioned threats, and can even run a Choice Band in Choice Scarf's stead, allowing it to hit like a truck and dent anything that doesn't resist it (Even doing large chunks to pokemon like Keldeo). Adding Tyranitar, however, just makes this core weaker to Fairy types, which is where our trusty wall comes in, SpDef Skarmory. Skarmory works as a nice pivot to ground, fairy, flying, psychic, and poison moves aimed at our offensive threats, while also stacking hazards, fazing, as well as outspeeding Rock Polish Mega Diancie before Mega Evolving, KOing with Iron Head and saving the other members a giant headache. Good partners to this core include Mega Charizard X, Thundurus, Starmie, Excadrill, and Mega Alakazam. This core is fairly weak to pokemon with fire and fighting or other options to hit TTar, such as Infernape, Tornadus T (Potentially), MChar X, and Volcarona to a degree.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Been a while since I posted a core, but here is a balance core that I've found fits on all sorts of balance and bulky offense teams. The core is AV Metagross + Tank Chomp. The concept is pretty simple in that one is a SpDef Tank and the other is a Def Tank. The core works well in tandem to wear down opposing teams for a sweeper to clean up. Tank Chomp punishes/beats a metric shit ton of physical attackers, but struggles with fast offensive fairies, dragons, and electrics (Gard, Latis, Kyu-B, Raikou, Mane). AV Meta checks pretty much all of these with the added benefit of pursuit trapping the Latis with ease. However, AV Meta is set up bait for stuff like Talonflame, Scizor, and Gyara, but alas, Garchomp checks these things in return.

As far as teammates go, there are two ends of the spectrum to build from. Defensively, these two really enjoy having a teammate that can switch into Keldeo and/or Weavile. M-Venusaur fulfills both of these roles fairly well, while other mons such as AV Torn-T and Clefable fulfill one or the other. Offensively, the core can support a plethora of sweepers ranging from Talonflame to M-Altaria. The core also supports stall breakers like M-Gardevoir fairly well. Lack of weakness to SR means hazard removal support isn't totally necessary either. All in all, a very versatile core that can fit on virtually any balance or bulky offense team.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Pursuit
- Earthquake / Zen Headbutt

BP + MM + Pursuit are all pretty much mandatory. EQ hits Electrics and Heatran, while ZH hits M-Venu and Keld. The spread guarantees Meta is not 2HKO'ed by M-Zam's Shadow Ball after SR.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Toxic / Dragon Tail / Dragon Claw

This set is pretty standard, but I prefer toxic in the last slot to weaken Lando-T and Hippowdon. The spread maximize physical bulk while running enough speed to outpace max speed Bisharp.

Don't want to write too much on this because I tend to ramble. So simply put, scolipede is a fantastic late game cleaner/sweeper and is really only hindered by bulky grounds like hippo, landorus-therian,tankchomp, gliscor(still an issue unless you manage to catch it with a wisp before toxic orb(unlikely)), and certain steel types like skarmory, and ferrothorn, all of which are handled/lured in and crippled by bulky wisp zard x. Most offensive teams rely heavily on lando-t to stop charx and once its burned its as good as dead. Char-x is a great lead in most cases as it beats most rockers, especially since almost every garchomp is tank chomp, and can immediately start clearing the way for the scolipede cleanup.

To talk about scolipede a bit, if you haven't used him before I promise you underestimate his power, the amount of things he can outright OHKO from full is insane, and being able to outspeed everything with ease is another big plus. In regards to team mates for this core I found regenerator users and hazard setters to be very effective, chip damage could be the difference between a sweep or a bust, slowbro in particular is very good as a talonflame stop and just a god mon that can spread residual damage with scald burns and stuff. Another good teammate is ferrothorn for a dragon resist and spreading spikes and chip damage with rough skin and leech seed. Also consider something that stops volt switches, like a ground type of your own, charx can take electric moves just fine, but dealing with volt switch momentum can be tough. Finally(and obviously) a hazard removal, Ive been using togekiss which works well enough and has type synergy, but something else could definitely be used. Anyway its just a fun core, and if you guys end up using it to make any teams feel free to pm me, i would love to see them!

Sets
GODipede (Scolipede) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Poison Jab
- Megahorn
- Earthquake

The DON (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz

Edit: Thought I should mention that mamoswine is actually a pretty cool partner to these guys too, stops annoying volt switches and can help with grounds and stuff, particularly gliscor who could be a big issue for these two.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Balance Core

Gliscor + Magnezone

Forgot where I heard about this core it was probably on youtube or something but it stuck with me since it sounded dope. Mentioned it to AM yesterday and got a message from him later that I should post it lol.

Anyway the basic premise was that Gliscor fucks up a lot of balance builds barring when people run Skarmory which just walls it. Magnezone traps Skarm ezpz and sets up Gliscor to put on a lot of pressure. These days balance has gotten faster so Gliscor probably wont sweep completely so use this core as a supplement for an offensive threat like Mega Altaria or something.

In terms of general synergy, the core is pretty sweet overall in Mag checking water types like Manaphy for Gliscor and in return Gliscor can take on things like Heatran, Lopunny and Hippowdon.

I'll leave a couple standard sets but realize you can sorta play with whatever if you wanna go full spdef on Gliscor or like specs Mag or whatever really. Kinda nice that both of these mons shit on your standard T-Wave Clefable so enjoy that

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Got replays AM passed me of the core in action. First one's a bit haxy but you see the core apply pressure to set up for a Scizor sweep. In the second one you see the Gliscor pressure Skarm so that Mag removes it from the picture. Please excuse the HP Grass Mega Scizor

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-292309638
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-292307683

Balance Core

Gliscor + Magnezone

Forgot where I heard about this core it was probably on youtube or something but it stuck with me since it sounded dope. Mentioned it to AM yesterday and got a message from him later that I should post it lol.

Anyway the basic premise was that Gliscor fucks up a lot of balance builds barring when people run Skarmory which just walls it. Magnezone traps Skarm ezpz and sets up Gliscor to put on a lot of pressure. These days balance has gotten faster so Gliscor probably wont sweep completely so use this core as a supplement for an offensive threat like Mega Altaria or something.

In terms of general synergy, the core is pretty sweet overall in Mag checking water types like Manaphy for Gliscor and in return Gliscor can take on things like Heatran, Lopunny and Hippowdon.

I'll leave a couple standard sets but realize you can sorta play with whatever if you wanna go full spdef on Gliscor or like specs Mag or whatever really. Kinda nice that both of these mons shit on your standard T-Wave Clefable so enjoy that

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Got replays AM passed me of the core in action. First one's a bit haxy but you see the core apply pressure to set up for a Scizor sweep. In the second one you see the Gliscor pressure Skarm so that Mag removes it from the picture. Please excuse the HP Grass Mega Scizor

Okay, this core is really REALLY cool. I love it. But, if I may make a suggestion, mention Specs Zone. It will always without fail KO Skarmory (SpDef Skarm can potentially survive a Scarf Zone's TBolt if it's at about 90), can OHKO Bulky Mega Scizor, OHKO Ferro after rocks, and acts as a much more powerful pivot and momentum grabber while still preforming it's main role in trapping Skarmory.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I mean that core isnt really based around either specific set of Mag just its general utility. KOing Ferrothorn isn't really important TBH so I put Scarf as the set for checking fast water types but I did mention that you can run a Specs Magnezone.

Balance Core

Gliscor + Magnezone

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Wisp Mega Gardevoir makes a great partner to this core, might I add; she really appreciates both of these mons abilities to shit on fat steels, as well as Scor's stallbreaking capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)