Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the new megas will do anything to the old ones. The initial shiny new toy phase will obviously see them go down in usage but things like mega pinsir, zard x, gyarados, venusaur, and bulky SD scizor aren't going anywhere.
Eh... mostly. Most the old Megas still have enough going for them that isn't outclassed at all by the new, but one thing I can see dropping is Medicham for Gallade, and a lot of lower-ranked Megas like Blastoise, Aggron and Absol (despite getting play rough + knock off now) will definitely go down in viability since there's even more great Megas to compete with for Mega spots now.

I think you're underestimating the bulk difference. Latias gaining 30 points to defense and 20 in SpD is crazy bulky. 80/120/150 with a speed of 110 is huge. And with access to recovery, 6 resistances and an immunity you'll find a huge difference in survivability. And a single CM boost gives you more power than LO and without recoil, again, greatly improving your longevity. CM/Roost/Shadow Ball/HP Fighting hits pretty much everything in the game bar Mega Sableye now, and Latias has the stats to boost to levels dangerous enough to overpower pretty much anything, or just stick to Dragon Pulse and Psyshock.
This. I think. I refuse to believe that her massive bulk is pointless and, like you said, after a CM boost she hits harder than the LO variant (much harder might I add). She could be a powerful setup sweeper if you pick the right moment in a match. I bet latios could even get freaky with some DD sets or even have the bulk to utilize calm mind now.

Outside of Thunderbolt, all Mega Gyara needs is Substitute to get enough boosts to Crunch to the same result. I'll bite that Sharpedo's initial speed and power of Crunch would make for a good revenge killer, but in that regard, why not something even faster? Greninja is far faster and his coverage makes it the best revenge killer as is, no mega slot needed.
I only used Slowbro to illustrate how powerful Strong Jaw Crunch is. And I never said M-Sharpedo was the best revenge killer in the game, just that it can fit role (which Gyarados can't).

Anyway, I think we should wait and see how the metagame develops before calling anything "outclassed" or worse than the base form. A lot of that went around in the early days of X/Y, and most of it turned out to be untrue.

What is going to be better on Salamence before Mega Evolving, Intimidate or Moxie? Of course both have their uses but I'd imagine Intimidate would be useful more often since it always helps against physical foes while a Moxie Mence running a DD set with a Normal move, EQ and Fire Blast has to be able to kill something without STAB.

I must admit, all the people going on about Mega Beedrill does remind me of when Mega Absol was being hyped.
They're kind of in the same situation, except while Mega Beedril obviously has a vastly superior speed, Mega Absol still has enough speed to outpace most the relevant unboosted tier while having better coverage, better STAB, higher-power base moves and a secondary offensive stat with which to destroy physical walls with, not to mention utility in Knock Off and Magic Bounce. I realize Mega Beedrill has Adaptability, but... c'mon, that's only really good for u-turning and destroying fairies. They share the same flaws, too - frail, same speed tier on turn of Mega Evolution. In fact, Absol's BULKIER than Beedrill and it's bulk is seen as a flaw while Beedrill's is seen as "oh it's not that bad you can run a few defence evs to avoid aqua jet KOs". I personally can't see how something like Mega Absol, who has a ridiculously good STAB, Utility, a usable secondary offensive stat, the same Attack stat and fantastic coverage can be considered pretty bad in the OU metagame but Mega Beedrill can be hyped up so much just because it has adaptability U-turn and can I guess kill fairies.

What is going to be better on Salamence before Mega Evolving, Intimidate or Moxie? Of course both have their uses but I'd imagine Intimidate would be useful more often since it always helps against physical foes while a Moxie Mence running a DD set with a Normal move, EQ and Fire Blast has to be able to kill something without STAB.
While Moxie is great and all, it's not gonna be super easy getting the boost pre-megaevo, and honestly Mega Salamence does not need a Moxie boost to wreck face. The Intimidate drop can force so many switches upon which you can just DD (or you can just DD in their faces with some defensive investment and the -1 attack drop) that it's the better ability 9/10 times I'd say.

Intimidate big time. Salamence needs to MEvo to do anything worthwhile, so Moxie is a no-no. Intimidate can also let you Mega Evolve against Pokemon that would otherwise deal heavy damage with their physical moves, and force them out.

I must admit, all the people going on about Mega Beedrill does remind me of when Mega Absol was being hyped.
They're kind of in the same situation, except while Mega Beedril obviously has a vastly superior speed, Mega Absol still has enough speed to outpace most the relevant unboosted tier while having better coverage, better STAB, higher-power base moves and a secondary offensive stat with which to destroy physical walls with, not to mention utility in Knock Off and Magic Bounce. I realize Mega Beedrill has Adaptability, but... c'mon, that's only really good for u-turning and destroying fairies. They share the same flaws, too - frail, same speed tier on turn of Mega Evolution. In fact, Absol's BULKIER than Beedrill and it's bulk is seen as a flaw while Beedrill's is seen as "oh it's not that bad you can run a few defence evs to avoid aqua jet KOs". I personally can't see how something like Mega Absol, who has a ridiculously good STAB, Utility, a usable secondary offensive stat, the same Attack stat and fantastic coverage can be considered pretty bad in the OU metagame but Mega Beedrill can be hyped up so much just because it has adaptability U-turn and can I guess kill fairies.
Probably because it's Beedrill who has always been completely useless, compared to Absol who was at least UU for a little while. Beedrill is overrated but it's still "okay". Absol gets shit on by pretty much all Fairies which at the time of M Absol's hype weren't really used much yet while M Beedrill can at least enjoy a fast U-turn.

"Dear Beedrill. We have given you a mega evolution. Sorry we gave every other useless bug Quiver Dance or Sticky Web. Hope this makes up for it. Please come to the Christmas party. - Gamefreak."

Stone Edge does not receive a Sheer Force boost. You're thinking Rock Slide.
I was referring to the Sand Force boost - my apologies.

My point being that Mega Steelix has more attacking power via Earthquake, Stone Edge > Rock Slide, and Gyro Ball, along with the additional bulk. It's not even a contest.

So did some calcs and turns out Mega Swampert should almost always go for Adamant as a Swift Swimmer; 252 Speed EVs with a neutral nature reaches a Speed Stat of 478, enough to outspeed the entire unboosted tier - hell, entire unboosted anything. Just for lels I tried Jolly Ninjask and that only reaches a Speed Stat of 460.
The only reason you'd really want to run Jolly - 252+ reaches 524 Speed - is to outpace Scarfers like Jolly Terrakion and Naive Garchomp, but... what could they really do to you?

Keep in mind Adaptability+145 Base Attack is really strong, and Mega Beedrill's post-Mega speed tier is very very very good. That alone probably makes him more viable than Mega Absol who has power and speed, but not enough power to OHKO/2HKO a lot of relevant stuff with what it usually runs (Sucker Punch, Knock Off, Superpower/Fire Blast/Ice Beam/etc., SD (sometimes)) and not enough speed to outrun things like Greninja and Alakazam, which is super important because Greninja and all can't beat an already-mega'd Beedrill 1v1 because they are outsped but they can beat Absol.

I've been experimenting with Mega Altaria and I must say it's looking very promising. This is the set I've been using in my calcs:

Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Natural Cure -> Pixilate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return / Frustration
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower

So lemme explain the EVs. 136 Spe allows you to outspeed Greninja at +1 who always OHKOs with Ice Beam. 252 Atk is for as much power as possible. 120 HP gives you an odd HP number for less SR damage as well as also improving your newfound bulk significantly. It allows you to take on both forms of Mega Charizard (while avoiding the 2HKO from X's Flare Blitz) which is one of M-Altaria's cool niches.

Now onto the moves. DDance is pretty self explanatory. Boost your speed and attack. Return is your preferred STAB move as Dragon/Fairy is pretty redundant coverage. Earthquake is there for steel types that otherwise wall you and Fire Blast hits pokemon like Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Scizor pretty hard, being guaranteed 2HKOs (or in Scizor's case an OHKO) on all of them. Flamethrower could also be used if you want consistency and a 100% accurate fire move.
Naive nature is to boost speed at the cost of some SpD, however any powerful super effective special attack such as Gengar's Sludge Wave or Greninja's Ice Beam OHKO you regardless.
Some things to note with this set is that speedy Heatran with an Air Balloon w/ Taunt + Will-o-wisp shut you down. You could run more speed at the cost of some HP but that's completely up to you. Another thing is that 252+ Mega Scizor cannot OHKO you doing 69.1 - 82.2% with Bullet Punch. Final thing to note is that Charizard Y and Talonflame both resist this set but cannot do much back. Fire Blast in the sun does 61.9% max while a +1 Return won't tickle. As for Talonflame, Choice Band Brave Bird does 79.7% max while a +1 Return does 75.7% max right back. (So it should kill after recoil. Don't quote me on that though.) Life Orb variants do less so these Pokemon shouldn't be too much of a problem for M-Altaria.
Let me know what you guys think. Feedback is more than welcome as well as any ideas for more efficient EVs.
I'm reposting this set just so I can get some feedback back on it. Mega Venusaur and Assault Vest Amoongus give this set issues so a birdspam partner works well. I've tested it several times and it seems pretty effective. Return packs a punch and Double Edge is disgusting. I might work on a Dragon Dance set with Double Edge, Earthquake, and Roost. Right now I'm obsessed with this thing lol.

So did some calcs and turns out Mega Swampert should almost always go for Adamant as a Swift Swimmer; 252 Speed EVs with a neutral nature reaches a Speed Stat of 478, enough to outspeed the entire unboosted tier - hell, entire unboosted anything. Just for lels I tried Jolly Ninjask and that only reaches a Speed Stat of 460.
The only reason you'd really want to run Jolly is to outpace Scarfers like Jolly Terrakion and Naive Garchomp, but... what could they really do to you?
Mega Sceptile's base 145 right? Assuming max speed investment from that, will Mega Swampert still outspeed in the rain (cuz if you outspeed you can just run Ice Punch and clobber it).

Mega Sceptile's base 145 right? Assuming max speed investment from that, will Mega Swampert still outspeed in the rain (cuz if you outspeed you can just run Ice Punch and clobber it).
Considering it can outpace Jolly 252 Deoxys-Speed and Ninjask... yeah.

Considering it can outpace Jolly 252 Deoxys-Speed and Ninjask... yeah.
WELP I'M DUMB

Just wondering if anyone's thought up of using Mega Swampert as a defensive Mega, even outside of rain. Thoughts on viability of that? Fantastic bulk (better than Mandibuzz, jeez) and great defensive typing (especially physically), but no recovery is a killer.

WELP I'M DUMB

Just wondering if anyone's thought up of using Mega Swampert as a defensive Mega, even outside of rain. Thoughts on viability of that? Fantastic bulk (better than Mandibuzz, jeez) and great defensive typing (especially physically), but no recovery is a killer.
I'd say that it could definitely be a great tank, especially with wish support - just swift swim sweeper will probs be it's best set.

Thats becase beedrill is eight times harder to kill when you play smart. being a pivot poke makes ot survivability much greater than absol who also makes no use of its abillity as well.

Mega Salmence looks promising, looking into a double dragon offensive core on my rain team with either Kyurem-B or LO Lati@s. Which would fare better?

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Been playing around with this set:

Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Return / Body Slam
- Dragon Dance
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Mostly inspired by the Wisp DD XZard and Refresh MMence sets. This one, much like Wisp DD Zard, works primarily as defensive glue for Stall teams, however, it also functions as a win condition for late game if necessary. It's actually really effective since it finds many opportunities to set up, and even with no attack investment it hits hard as hell even without any boosts. It's also surprisingly fast at +1, outspeeding Adamant base 100s, and at +2 it even outpaces the likes of Mega-Manectric. You can make it faster to do stuff like outspeed Garchomp at +1 I guess, but as I said, its main role is taking hits and walling threats, and that's what the spread empasizies. The ability to sweep with DD is just a detail really, but a really neat one nevertheless. Heal Bell is really key on this set since dot only does it provide great support to your teammates, but it also enables you to heal off Toxic, Paralysis or Burn for yourself letting you set up on defensive Pokemon such as Slowbro or Suicune. The lack of Heal Bell PP can a bit of a problem though, but I haven't run into a situation where I actually ran out. I highly recommend this set if you're using MAltaria on a stall or balanced team and would like to have a win condition as well.

Last edited:
Is a fully specially offensive Altaria vastly inferior to the physical/mixed and defensive sets?
I was thinking something like

Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp.A / 252 Speed (or max HP if you prefer a more tanky approach)
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse / Heal Bell
- Roost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)