Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
run gk gross, like i do for my wall breaker metagross
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 120 SpA / 180 Spe
Mild Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot
Is EQ solely for Heatran? Otherwise is Ice Punch good enough?

Also, are the SpA EVs to ensure the 2HKO on Mega-Slowbro w/Grass Knot?

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
MMence+Zone+Dugtrio+Goth for maximum ingenious teambulding imo

also lol how do MMence and XZard have "roughly the same bulk", one has 78/111/85 and the other has 95/130/90...
And I also don't see how having priority is that much of an advantage over MMence when that thing has, you know, Dragon Dance lol. There is little to no reason to use MPinsir over MMence given that MMence is better vs defensive teams thanks to its superior coverage letting it get past the likes of Skarmory and Rhyperior much more easily, and it is incalculably better vs offense because 120 base Speed+DD, not to mention that it has signifiantly higher speed, reliably recovery, far higher bulk (so it can actually set up very easily which MPinsir often struggles to do), and even a way to remove status. And MPinsir has... Quick Attack, which pretty much exclusively hits things that Mmence can just kill outright due to its higher speed besides I guess Greninja (and besides Pinsir needs to be at +2 to even hurt most of these fast threats much). Swords Dance. And believe me, it is far easier and less costly for MMence to get 2 DDs off than for MPinsir to get a single SD off.

Last edited:
Honestly, right now it's a bit of a liability to run mence/set up sweepers in general considering that everybody and there mother is running thundy/klefki/sable. I've had more success with lop/drill/scep than I've had with mence. I've yet to try mixmence though, but I don't know if it's worth it. Kinda like a faster kyube I guess.
Especially liking sceptile+DDgyarados+Healing wish mon. They both force switches so often it's incredibly easy to get up a DD and pound a few mons a couple of different times with gyar, then haling wish and sweep the remainders.

Slowbro is so good. The calm mind sets wrecks shop and I love it. I really like Mega Gallade too. He forces tons of switches to get setups and can easily deal with a lot of mons. I have sd ice punch cc and zen headbutt, but I think I need to replace Ice Punch with Shadow Sneak. I feel like it gives better coverage than Ice punch anyway.

Slowbro is so good. The calm mind sets wrecks shop and I love it. I really like Mega Gallade too. He forces tons of switches to get setups and can easily deal with a lot of mons. I have sd ice punch cc and zen headbutt, but I think I need to replace Ice Punch with Shadow Sneak. I feel like it gives better coverage than Ice punch anyway.
Shadow Sneak is weak priority so even if it gives you 'coverage', your STABs will likely be dealing more damage regardless.

224+ Atk Pixilate Altaria Return vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 276-326 (88.7 - 104.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
220+ Atk Pixilate Altaria Return vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 272-324 (87.4 - 104.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

By investing 252 EVs in speed, you outspeed every non-Jolly Mega Heracross, assuming it has already Mega Evolved (and is using base 75 speed instead of base 85). Fully physically defensive sets can't really pull off check duty due to it being slower than most Heracross.
0 Atk Pixilate Altaria Return vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 276-326 (88.7 - 104.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You probably forgot to add the fairy type on altaria

Tbh Shadow Sneak is so weak, it's literally useless against everything that isn't Alakazam, considering that you speed tie with Lati@s and Gengar(to show how weak it is, it can't even ensure a 2hko on Mega Sceptile after a Swords Dance). If you want the coverage that Sneak would give to you if it was actually powerful you can run Knock Off, which is powerful enough to break would be counters to Gallade(OHKOs regular Slowbro, Cresselia, Mew, Celebi and Victini, and 2HKOes Doublade, after Stealth Rocks), on top of the ever awesome utility of removing items.

I wouldn't say Shadow Sneak is completely useless. SD 2coverage +priority(sneak) is a more reliable late-game cleaner than SD 3 attacks. The only problem is that the former set is obviously overall worse than the latter, because obviously the lack of coverage will severely hurt the SD set's wallbreaking capabilities. Sneak also, as has been stated, is quite weak even after a SD, so you can really only aim for late-game cleaning since certain pokemon that you want to outspeed or out-prioritize with Sneak will have to be weakened to by an amount that will allow +2 Sneak to KO, belating your sweep. It doesn't seem useless, but it seems nice at best. So you want to use SS, you're definitely want to heavily revolve your team around wearing down Megallade's checks and counters.

I wouldn't say Shadow Sneak is completely useless. SD 2coverage +priority(sneak) is a more reliable late-game cleaner than SD 3 attacks. The only problem is that the former set is obviously overall worse than the latter, because obviously the lack of coverage will severely hurt the SD set's wallbreaking capabilities. Sneak also, as has been stated, is quite weak even after a SD, so you can really only aim for late-game cleaning since certain pokemon that you want to outspeed or out-prioritize with Sneak will have to be weakened to by an amount that will allow +2 Sneak to KO, belating your sweep. It doesn't seem useless, but it seems nice at best. So you want to use SS, you're definitely want to heavily revolve your team around wearing down Megallade's checks and counters.
I was more or less criticizing it's use as coverage. I'd say it's viable as all priority is.

Is Hidden Power Grass worth it on Mega Camerupt? Wouldn't HP Ice be better so that it doesn't get walled by Dragon/Flying types since it's slower than all of the Water/Ground types and will probably die to their Water STAB anyway.
Same question for Earthquake/mixed sets.

I was more or less criticizing it's use as coverage. I'd say it's viable as all priority is.
Gotcha, yeah I agree there is no reason at all to use it as coverage. Nothing is immune to Knock off and it's 2.5 times more powerful. Sacrificing priority and a bit of potential at cleaning up late-game for significantly better wallbreaking capabilities and still being able to sweep quite well late-game is definitely a better deal if your goal is simply type coverage.

No one responded to this post of mine earlier.
The Facade DD Roost +coverage attack on Mega Altaria seems better with max SpD and max HP as opposed to max HP and max Atk imo. It seems like it would be really good since SpD Megataria checks or even hard walls and sets up on many really threatening or just ubiquitous special attackers such as ZardY, Keld, Thundurus-I, Rotom-Wash(Facade says fuck burns), Lati@s, Mega Mane, MegaZam, Raikou, Starmie, Crocune, Kingdra, Alomomola, Mega Amphy, MegaDoom, and Zapdos. That's just the S, A, and B ranks too. A fully Specially Defensive set I think would just be overall more useful, reliably taking care of much more threats and still being able to sweep. The power drop does mean you need to set up more DDs that with max HP max Atk, but the SpD investment with the insanely good typing and great bulk more than makes up for that imo since it will just give you so many opportunities to set up as you check, counter, or even hard counter a ridiculous amount of OU mons.
I'm just curious if anyone agrees.

Last edited:
Anyone here actually using a special offensive MSalamence as a lure? I have had some success with this guy forcing switches left and rigth thanks to intimidate.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Anyone here actually using a special offensive MSalamence as a lure? I have had some success with this guy forcing switches left and rigth thanks to intimidate.
The best reason to use special mence is probably for hydro pump to smack rhyperior, fire blast for the obvious, and hyper voice with aerialate is cool too. It works for sure.

The best reason to use special mence is probably for hydro pump to smack rhyperior, fire blast for the obvious, and hyper voice with aerialate is cool too. It works for sure.
Yep it has been working as a charm, also wirks on the odd airballon heatran...Wich i have encountered 4 times so far.

Anyone else noticing a rise on scarf latios?

AV Conkeldurr actually seems like a really, really good teammate for Mega Salamence. It beats almost all of Mence's checks: Rhyperior, P2, Mega Amphy, Mamoswine, and Weavile.

AV Conkeldurr actually seems like a really, really good teammate for Mega Salamence. It beats almost all of Mence's checks: Rhyperior, P2, Mega Amphy, Mamoswine, and Weavile.
He kinda does, altough he really dislikrs brave bird spam and is deadweigth against megabro teams in my humble opinion.

Again am i the only one seeing this scarf lattios trend?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
He kinda does, altough he really dislikrs brave bird spam and is deadweigth against megabro teams in my humble opinion.

Again am i the only one seeing this scarf lattios trend?
I guess it kinda picked up to revenge kill mega charizard x, because it can run jolly to outspeed scarf lando-t, but doesn't outspeed scarf Latios. You could say the same as a revenge killer for mega mence, but one of the most effective sets now is sub dd, so I guess that kinda works.

I guess it kinda picked up to revenge kill mega charizard x, because it can run jolly to outspeed scarf lando-t, but doesn't outspeed scarf Latios. You could say the same as a revenge killer for mega mence, but one of the most effective sets now is sub dd, so I guess that kinda works.
I encountered it twice when running MegaSceptile, 2 times with Mloppuny(It isnt that bad), 3 whooping times with Mbeedril(All where kills for the latios) and once with Special non DD mence today. This thing is really trending. Altough Max speed MMence with subDD renders it useless.

Been having great fun with a mixed mega sceptile, with leaf storm, swords dance, low kick and outrage. Lures and 2 hit KOs chansey, wrecks offensive mega venusaur after rocks, and has very good cleaning power late game. The major downside is if there's a fairy around outrage is a no go due to how frail sceptile is, but the power is necessary over claw.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've been thinking a lot about running MixMence as a lure to draw out physical counters, on top of a sand core to facilitate an Excadrill sweep.

Something like Frustration/Earthquake/Draco Meteor/Fire Blast on MMence. Hit strong physical checks like Rhyperior or Hippo with Draco Meteor, take out steels with Fire Blast or EQ, and wear down everything else with a fast Aerialate Frustration.

Add on LO Excadrill, TTar for rocks and sand, maybe CBnite for Greninja and a second Talonflame/Pinsir check and as a secondary sweeper in case Excadrill can't cut it (although Nite on top of a sand core is blah). Fill in remaining two as you see fit.

Not sure how it would actually play (in particular, does MixMence hit hard enough to break down walls?), but I might toy around with it when I get back from work tonight.

EDIT: Re: Scarf Latios and MMence checks, I wonder if this will give a new niche to Noivern. It can even outspeeds +1 252+ MMence with a scarf, OHKOs even the bulkier variants with Draco Meteor, and Infiltrator means you don't need to worry about sub. Too bad it's so crap against everything else...

Last edited:
Been having great fun with a mixed mega sceptile, with leaf storm, swords dance, low kick and outrage. Lures and 2 hit KOs chansey, wrecks offensive mega venusaur after rocks, and has very good cleaning power late game. The major downside is if there's a fairy around outrage is a no go due to how frail sceptile is, but the power is necessary over claw.
I was thinking about playing around with a similar idea. What was your EV spread like? I was thinking max SAtk and Speed since Atk can be buffed with Swords Dance.

Every 'mon has its flaws. Unfortunately Conk is C+ rank as is shown in it's tendency to be deadweaight against certain team archetypes. Besides, covering weaknesses is for what teammates are, and also having a pokemon which beats many of the checks of the most broken 'mon in OU that makes any team better by its mere presence isn't so bad now, is it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)