Project ORAS OU Core Building Competition V2 (Round 30: Stalkers) Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry about the late finish. I was ill yesterday and completely forgot about this thread. I'm not gonna do the tally 'cause I'm really strapped for time, but I did a quick count and this week's winner is Infernal.

Round 19: Fieldwork
Building condition:
At least one Pokémon much have a move (not ability) which causes a field condition.
Note: These are weathers, Tailwind, rooms, terrains and Gravity. Please let me know if I am forgetting any. Hazards are not counted here.

Best of luck with this :)

Last edited:

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock / Thunderbolt

Tailwind is a very underrated support move on Latios that it can certainly make use of well. This core serves so that Latios can help break down checks to Crawdaunt, such as Keldeo, for example, and Crawdaunt helps break down fat walls that Latios can't deal with all too well such as Chansey.

The main premise of this core is Tailwind, as if Latios finds itself in a position where it needs to be sacced, such as against Tyranitar, then you just Tailwind up and gain momentum as Crawdaunt comes in on a Pursuit/Crunch locked Tyranitar and can then start setting up SD's and immediately threaten a vast majority of the meta due to Tailwind's speed boost. This core is best paired with another pokemon that can serve as a cleaner once Crawdaunt breaks down the enemy team when its Tailwind turns are over.

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Energy Ball / Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire / Focus Blast
- Grassy Terrain

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
This is a pretty neat core that makes use of Grassy Terrain Mega Sceptile, an interesting set to say the least. Grassy Terrain boosts the power of Sceptile's Energy Ball or Giga Drain by 1.5x making it hit insanely hard, and also giving Sceptile recovery equivalent to that of leftovers every turn. Giga Drain provides more longevity than Energy Ball, but this set is intended to be a cleaner so the extra power from Energy Ball can come in handy. Focus Blast is less accurate than Hidden Power Fire, but achieves okay neutral coverage and gives it a way to hit Heatran. Rotom-W is a great partner for Scept, taking on Weavile, Talonflame, Tornadus, Heatran, and tons of its other checks.

Last edited:

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- U-turn

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

Rain Dance Manaphy serves as the stallbreaker, drowning entire stall teams thanks to the insane power of rain-boosted Scald and pseudo-immunity to status (even Chansey falls to +6 Scald under rain), with Energy Ball eliminating fellow Water-types such as Rotom-W. But this cute sea monster isn't very fast, so it's accompanied with Tornadus-T to take care of fast Grass-types and Mamoswine for priority and to check Thundurus and other Electric-types; they also have their own ways to keep the Lati twins at bay. Hurricane is also much more reliable under rain as it never misses.

Last edited:

Infernal

Banned deucer.

Slowking @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

TR Slowking isn't common or the best thing in the world by any means, but it's a fun choice to toy around with for this theme. It's surprisingly powerful with LO and has nice coverage. Sporting a resistance to a good number of priority moves (Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, Ice Shard, Bullet Punch) is also really nice for a TR sweeper. The aim here is to try and pave the way for a TR Slowking sweep by using CB Tar to eliminate obstacles like Latios, Mega Latias, Slowbro, opposing Slowking, and even Mega Manec. With these Pokemon removed, Slowking has an easier time doing its thing once an opportunity to sweep pops up late game. In exchange for this help, Slowking gives a few things back to CB Tar by checking or taking advantage of Pokemon like Keld and Hippo. Slowking's ability to activate TR is also beneficial for CB Tar given its low speed and high power. CB Tar under TR is scary, and turning the speed tables in your favor during end game situations where CB Tar can click its STABs to clean up can mean the difference between a win or loss.

For Slowking's final move, I chose FB over NP to give Ferro and Mega Sciz less opportunities to annoy the core. I also find setting up NP + TR is asking for too much, so I think the added coverage is more helpful in this case. LO is given preference over other options like Leftovers and Colbur Berry because Slowking would be too weak otherwise, especially with no NP. On Tar, I didn't go for a Brave nature with 0 speed because this core isn't really meant to be used on full TR teams. Tar still appreciates having some speed in situations where TR isn't active and is still slow enough to take advantage of its turns in most situations.

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thank you Infernal for PMing me and reminding me about Gravity. It is also legal on this week's theme, so I've added it to the theme post.

Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gravity
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Iron Head

Lando-T is easily the best user of Gravity in the game. Between STAB EQ, access to Stone Edge, U-turn and Intimidate and it's sky-high attack stat, it has all the tools it needs to take advantage of Gravity to the fullest. In addition, it allows it to take on PhysDef Skarmory, Rotom-W and Bronzong with ease as well as allowing it to deal heavy damage to Lati@s and other random Levitate users. The listed EV spread allows it to outpace max speed Rotom-W, allowing it to beat fast variants without worrying about speed creep. However, max speed is also a valid option to allow you to take on adamant Excadrill, who can hit you with Earthquake if Gravity is up. Choice Band Terrakion pairs well with this, benefitting from the evasiveness cut giving it 100% accurate Stone Edges to spam--making it that much harder to switch into than it already is. It also has pretty decent offensive synergy with Lando-T and being able to just generally break stuff.

Last edited:
Rain Offense (WIP)

more like RIP since I forgot to update this sooner, lol.

sorry guys

Politoed + Mega Swampert + Tornadus-T

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave
- Taunt

A simple but effective core for rain teams. Politoed sets rain and generally annoys opponents with Scald, but can also screw with defensive Pokemon with Toxic (which I find more reliable than Hypnosis) and Encore.

Last edited:

Martin

Rain Offense (WIP)

Politoed + Mega Swampert + Tornadus-T

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave
- Taunt

A simple but effective core for rain teams. Politoed sets rain and generally annoys opponents with Scald, but can also screw with defensive Pokemon with Toxic (which I find more reliable than Hypnosis) and Encore.
Just so you know, but abilities are not included in this week's theme. Therefore your core is currently illegal for submission. If you want to give something Rain Dance then go ahead, but you've only got until I go to bed tonight to do it.

I'm new to this core building thing, but I'll give it a shot:
Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 Spe
Impish Nature
- Tailwind
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Earthquake
Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
Jirachi @ Air balloon
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
- Healing Wish

I decided to use tailwind Charizard X because of its good defenses, power, and unpredictability. Then I added Azu and Jirachi to make a Dragon-fairy-steel core. I picked Azu because it benefits from tailwind and can help break down walls that zard can't deal with. Jirachi is air balloon because I wanted something to switch in on hostile eqs.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Def
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie -> Skill Link
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Inspired by my in-game Trick Room Reuniclus (which just wrecked Wulfric, by the way), I'm going with Offensive Trick Room Reuniclus and Substitute Mega Heracross. Reuniclus seems ideal for Trick Room, since it has great 125 SpAtk paired with decent bulk and only 30 speed. With Trick Room up, it proves to be very powerful against offensive teams, but struggles against bulkier cores. This is where Heracross comes in. Heracross excels in breaking bulky cores, with insanely strong attack. However, Heracross fares poorly against the faster, offensive teams that Reuniclus preys on- but under Trick Room, Heracross threatens these too.

Heracross has Moxie over Guts as it's pre-mega ability because Reuniclus happens to be a really nice status absorber with Magic Guard, so Heracross doesn't have to worry about status.

It may seem strange to run speed investment on a Trick Room core, but the speed investment on Heracross allows it to function outside of Trick Room in breaking defensive cores, while ensuring that offense is outslowed in Trick Room. Specifically, 136 Speed EVs outpaces defensive Landorus-T by 2 points, to avoid dealing with speed-crept Landorus-T that want to avoid a mirror match. The rest is dumped in HP for bulk.

Aside from their obvious synergy in breaking opposing teams, Heracross and Reuniclus have solid type synergy. Heracross handles Bug and Dark types that trouble Reuniclus- resisting their attacks and hitting back super-effectively, while Reuniclus can switch in on Poison types that wall Heracross's STABs.

Martin

OK time is up. I'm going climb into bed v. soon (whether bed=sleep is another matter) and I said that I'd do voting as I was about to go to bed, so here are your choices:

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock / Thunderbolt

Tailwind is a very underrated support move on Latios that it can certainly make use of well. This core serves so that Latios can help break down checks to Crawdaunt, such as Keldeo, for example, and Crawdaunt helps break down fat walls that Latios can't deal with all too well such as Chansey.

The main premise of this core is Tailwind, as if Latios finds itself in a position where it needs to be sacced, such as against Tyranitar, then you just Tailwind up and gain momentum as Crawdaunt comes in on a Pursuit/Crunch locked Tyranitar and can then start setting up SD's and immediately threaten a vast majority of the meta due to Tailwind's speed boost. This core is best paired with another pokemon that can serve as a cleaner once Crawdaunt breaks down the enemy team when its Tailwind turns are over.

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Naive Nature
- Energy Ball / Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire / Focus Blast
- Grassy Terrain

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
This is a pretty neat core that makes use of Grassy Terrain Mega Sceptile, an interesting set to say the least. Grassy Terrain boosts the power of Sceptile's Energy Ball or Giga Drain by 1.5x making it hit insanely hard, and also giving Sceptile recovery equivalent to that of leftovers every turn. Giga Drain provides more longevity than Energy Ball, but this set is intended to be a cleaner so the extra power from Energy Ball can come in handy. Focus Blast is less accurate than Hidden Power Fire, but achieves okay neutral coverage and gives it a way to hit Heatran. Rotom-W is a great partner for Scept, taking on Weavile, Talonflame, Tornadus, Heatran, and tons of its other checks.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance

EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- U-turn

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

Rain Dance Manaphy serves as the stallbreaker, drowning entire stall teams thanks to the insane power of rain-boosted Scald and pseudo-immunity to status (even Chansey falls to +6 Scald under rain), with Energy Ball eliminating fellow Water-types such as Rotom-W. But this cute sea monster isn't very fast, so it's accompanied with Tornadus-T to take care of fast Grass-types and Mamoswine for priority and to check Thundurus and other Electric-types; they also have their own ways to keep the Lati twins at bay. Hurricane is also much more reliable under rain as it never misses.

Slowking @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

TR Slowking isn't common or the best thing in the world by any means, but it's a fun choice to toy around with for this theme. It's surprisingly powerful with LO and has nice coverage. Sporting a resistance to a good number of priority moves (Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, Ice Shard, Bullet Punch) is also really nice for a TR sweeper. The aim here is to try and pave the way for a TR Slowking sweep by using CB Tar to eliminate obstacles like Latios, Mega Latias, Slowbro, opposing Slowking, and even Mega Manec. With these Pokemon removed, Slowking has an easier time doing its thing once an opportunity to sweep pops up late game. In exchange for this help, Slowking gives a few things back to CB Tar by checking or taking advantage of Pokemon like Keld and Hippo. Slowking's ability to activate TR is also beneficial for CB Tar given its low speed and high power. CB Tar under TR is scary, and turning the speed tables in your favor during end game situations where CB Tar can click its STABs to clean up can mean the difference between a win or loss.

For Slowking's final move, I chose FB over NP to give Ferro and Mega Sciz less opportunities to annoy the core. I also find setting up NP + TR is asking for too much, so I think the added coverage is more helpful in this case. LO is given preference over other options like Leftovers and Colbur Berry because Slowking would be too weak otherwise, especially with no NP. On Tar, I didn't go for a Brave nature with 0 speed because this core isn't really meant to be used on full TR teams. Tar still appreciates having some speed in situations where TR isn't active and is still slow enough to take advantage of its turns in most situations.

Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gravity
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Iron Head

Lando-T is easily the best user of Gravity in the game. Between STAB EQ, access to Stone Edge, U-turn and Intimidate and it's sky-high attack stat, it has all the tools it needs to take advantage of Gravity to the fullest. In addition, it allows it to take on PhysDef Skarmory, Rotom-W and Bronzong with ease as well as allowing it to deal heavy damage to Lati@s and other random Levitate users. The listed EV spread allows it to outpace max speed Rotom-W, allowing it to beat fast variants without worrying about speed creep. However, max speed is also a valid option to allow you to take on adamant Excadrill, who can hit you with Earthquake if Gravity is up. Choice Band Terrakion pairs well with this, benefitting from the evasiveness cut giving it 100% accurate Stone Edges to spam--making it that much harder to switch into than it already is. It also has pretty decent offensive synergy with Lando-T and being able to just generally break stuff.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 Spe
Impish Nature
- Tailwind
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Earthquake

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Jirachi @ Air balloon
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
- Healing Wish

I decided to use tailwind Charizard X because of its good defenses, power, and unpredictability. Then I added Azu and Jirachi to make a Dragon-fairy-steel core. I picked Azu because it benefits from tailwind and can help break down walls that zard can't deal with. Jirachi is air balloon because I wanted something to switch in on hostile eqs.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Def
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie -> Skill Link
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Inspired by my in-game Trick Room Reuniclus (which just wrecked Wulfric, by the way), I'm going with Offensive Trick Room Reuniclus and Substitute Mega Heracross. Reuniclus seems ideal for Trick Room, since it has great 125 SpAtk paired with decent bulk and only 30 speed. With Trick Room up, it proves to be very powerful against offensive teams, but struggles against bulkier cores. This is where Heracross comes in. Heracross excels in breaking bulky cores, with insanely strong attack. However, Heracross fares poorly against the faster, offensive teams that Reuniclus preys on- but under Trick Room, Heracross threatens these too.

Heracross has Moxie over Guts as it's pre-mega ability because Reuniclus happens to be a really nice status absorber with Magic Guard, so Heracross doesn't have to worry about status.

It may seem strange to run speed investment on a Trick Room core, but the speed investment on Heracross allows it to function outside of Trick Room in breaking defensive cores, while ensuring that offense is outslowed in Trick Room. Specifically, 136 Speed EVs outpaces defensive Landorus-T by 2 points, to avoid dealing with speed-crept Landorus-T that want to avoid a mirror match. The rest is dumped in HP for bulk.

Aside from their obvious synergy in breaking opposing teams, Heracross and Reuniclus have solid type synergy. Heracross handles Bug and Dark types that trouble Reuniclus- resisting their attacks and hitting back super-effectively, while Reuniclus can switch in on Poison types that wall Heracross's STABs.
I didn't include JTD783's core because he didn't update it in time.

You may vote for up to two cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)