Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

If next gen they make it so the first turn u go for trick room doesn't count as a turn used and there is a new item that gives it +3 turns so its like sand w/ smooth rock is there any chance of it being banned? or am I overestimating how good it will be? I'd like to hear your guys thoughts on this. ( If this is the wrong place to discuss I'm sorry).
Honestly, there'd be such a large meta shift that it's be too hard to really determine. Sure, TR teams might become more commonplace, but then the meta would adapt to a heavier use of Taunt mons to and other such methods counteract it, and depending on what new mons are added, the meta may still be considered healthy enough not to do anything about. Either way there's not much point in dwelling on what may or may not happen.

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
are there any solid checks/counters to drill on offense?
Garchomp,CB Azu, Keldeo, Lop, Mega Hera, Starmie, Zam, Breloom, Terrakion, Conk (pls no use), Crawdaunt, Gatr, Dugtrio, Victini, and Megadoom are all checks to Excadrill, and the only counter is probably Landorus-T

MrAldo

Hey
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Solid counters for drill (worst scenario being under sand) on offense are basically landorus-t and rotom-w as Karxrida stated (for rotom to even deal with that it has to be sand rush)

Checks would be powerful priority that can hit it super effectively like breloom, conk, azu and crawdaunt which have a nice matchup against sand naturally. Garchomp is incredibly shaky since it is hard pressed to stay healthy to just revenge kill and it is easy to wear down.

Outside of sand it becomes a lot easier to check so I just gave the ones if sand are already up.

Garchomp,CB Azu, Keldeo, Lop, Mega Hera, Starmie, Zam, Breloom, Terrakion, Conk (pls no use), Crawdaunt, Gatr, Dugtrio, Victini, and Megadoom are all checks to Excadrill, and the only counter is probably Landorus-T
Given that he specifically mentions offense I can assume he's also referring to Drill under sand as it naturally fares extremely well vs. offense. Thus, I would never mention Houndoom, Victini(?), Terrak(?), and even Starmie and Lop have solid chances of getting knocked out (even though Lop needs multiple rocks switchins and can stall out sand turns with fake out but still) as all these pokemon only check Excadrill outside of sand and then you might as well mention every pokemon in existence that is faster and has an SE move.. Not to mention Mega Zam and not 'zam' and that's only if it comes in and traces sand rush first.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think TR would probably become pretty big if it had an auto-induction ability Me and ur mom as it takes a dump on offense without the annoying manual setup turn that you need atm. the setter would have to be careful not to accidentally disable it on switch-in tho. I doubt it'd be broken tho (even with an... um... twisted clay (that sounds good for a room-extending item)), but it'd definitely be really good.

If we were to get permanent Trick Room it'd probably be another story tho, as it'd probably be stupidly overcentralising (offensive teams running TR just to revert dimensions) and it'd probably completely break Mega Camerupt (Mega Cam+Tickle Wobb would become a literally unstoppable core)

Can you list some potential teammates for Volcarona and why they are good?

Im going to use it as a win-con.

Last edited:
Can you list some potential teammates for Volcarona and why they are good?

Im going to use it as a win-con.
Anything that can keep hazards off the field. To this extent Mega Sableye can make an excellent teammate, with Volc able to take Fairy attacks and Sableye able to scare away hazards. The Latis also pair well with it, as they can Defog and take Water moves for it (while Volc can take Ice moves and threaten Dark-types with Bug Buzz). You'll definitely also want a Talonflame and Charizard-Y check; Tyranitar or Mega Manectric can handle this, with the former not requiring the Mega Slot and able to set rocks.

Thanks! Now the only problem is that I cannot get defog for 3ds, only at Showdown, so im thinking about Starmie or even Excadrill to make use of Sand Stream, I liked the idea of Mega Sableye because im starting to build a Balanced team, not an offensive team.

Zard-X can be troublesome also, because the Hidden Powers are hard as hell to get.

Wich would work better in balanced team?

Last edited:
Nice steel type teameate for salamence?
Unorthodox or non generic would be nice but not required
Jirachi isn't particularly high in usage and has fantastic synergy with Salamence. It's also got an absurdly flexible movepool so you can support it however you'd like.
(p.s plz don't double post! :) )

Reactions: p2
does a paralyzed bulky +6 volcarona outspeed jolly scarf ttar? And could you also explain exactly how paralysis works, some people said halves your speed stat, some sad 1/4th your speed, I thought it was reduced your speed by 4 stages. just really confusing stuff, these situations dont come up often

does a paralyzed bulky +6 volcarona outspeed jolly scarf ttar? And could you also explain exactly how paralysis works, some people said halves your speed stat, some sad 1/4th your speed, I thought it was reduced your speed by 4 stages. just really confusing stuff, these situations dont come up often
Paralysis quarters your speed.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
your speed is cut to 1/4 of your speed at that point.

If you have 405 speed (lopunny) and it's paralyzed, it's now calculated to be 101.

Since paralysis status divides speed by 4 (basically six stages), even a fully invested paralysed Timid Volcarona at +6 will be outsped by Scarf T-Tar (a +6 boost and paralysis status cancel each other, so 328<364).

Edit: dem ninjas

Question concerning the Chansey/Blissey thing. In the weeks before Lando-I got the banhammer, if my memory serves me correctly, Blissey had actually advanced to within a couple of subranks of her sister. Now Chansey is benefiting from the resurgence of stall, while Blissey sits as a D-ranker who still desperately clings to her free item slot and passable SpA stat. What changed?

Question concerning the Chansey/Blissey thing. In the weeks before Lando-I got the banhammer, if my memory serves me correctly, Blissey had actually advanced to within a couple of subranks of her sister. Now Chansey is benefiting from the resurgence of stall, while Blissey sits as a D-ranker who still desperately clings to her free item slot and passable SpA stat. What changed?
I think Landorus I was just that centralizing, and Blissey's niche of walling stuff without fearing Knock Off unlike Chansey was much more important.

Hi, im new here, im into competitive battling, can someone offer any advice whose pokemon is better at special attacks? thx!
Pokemon that are excelent at special attack are:

Volcarona
Charizard-Y
Keldeo
Alakazam-Mega
Venusaur-Mega
Latios
Magnezone
Manectric-Mega
Latias-Mega
Gengar
Blastoise-Mega
Waifu Gardevoir-Mega
Hydreigon
Reuniclus
Hoopa-U
Sceptile-Mega
Ampharos-Mega
Camerupt-Mega

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon that are excelent at special attack are:

Volcarona
Charizard-Y
Keldeo
Alakazam-Mega
Venusaur-Mega
Latios
Magnezone
Manectric-Mega
Latias-Mega
Gengar
Blastoise-Mega
Waifu Gardevoir-Mega
Y u leave bae reuniclus, hoopa and hydra out but include blastoise :[

I've been gone for a while, and I looked at the viability rankings. A lot has changed.
What specific metagame shifts have moved Clefable, Manaphy, Sableye, Zam, and Weavile from their previous positions?

So basically now I'm trying to challenge myself with building a Sun team. I'm actually running a pretty exotic build even for Sun. So far I am somehow found my team surprisingly unable to break through bulky water types. I'm pretty much looking for a non-chlorophyll user who can get past the likes of Slowbro and Manaphy while being able to fit on Sun teams. Any advices?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)