Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Alright I take your advice! :) I was pretty much looking for a Tornadus-T so I guess that extra 2 iv's in speed is crucial. Speaking of, is there any place for Tornadus-I in the metagame or is it just a strictly worse Thunderus-I for doubles?
Oops, I meant to type Torn-T, derp moment there. That extra Speed is important for Alakazam and opposing Torn-T in singles. I don't know about doubles but Torn-T is pretty much the only Torn you will find viable in OU Singles.

Any possible other item suggestions for a Tail Glow + 3 Attack Manaphy beside Leftovers or is it really important?

p2

Banned deucer.
resist berries can work, not much else you can use; cant use choice items, plates arent so great on tg3atk mana, sash is not needed, life orb sounds pretty silly and theres not much else to choose from, so yea lefties is the best item

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What kinds of things does cobalion check? I've seen it used a bit recently and I was thinking it could be a handy glue mon in certain teams.
I know it beats darks btw, so mainly looking for the other stuff.
Well I mean, it is mainly meant to check Dark-types; Bisharp, Tyranitar, and non Low Kick Weavile, and thanks to Justified it can heavily punish them for just clicking Knock Off. Its got a really nice Speed tier too so it can pivot into lots of things and threaten out. Volt Switch it really cool for momentum and it sets up rocks nicely too, I'm not entirely sure what set it normally runs though, SD Rocks sounds decent or just a full on utility set. It can also soft check Mega Diancie and Clefable which is pretty cool, and Mega Scizor can't really touch you without Superpower so if you have SD you can set up on it. It's a pretty cool option for balance or bulky offensive teams as an offensive rocker with a ton of utility, especially when SD Bisharp and bulky Mega Scizor can run straight through those teams.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What nature is better for a mixed attacker Tornadus-T Naive or Hasty?

Should I just stick with an assault vest set?
Hasty is better on Tornadus-T because it takes advantage of it's p. good special bulk.

I'm not keen on AV personally, but honestly which set is better is dependent on the makeup of your team.

Sebberball

formerly BoXeD
Now. I need to ask a couple stupid questions.
I'm just coming back to OU battles after not playing for... I have no idea how long.
What should I expect when coming back to OU? What threats should I be the most afraid of? And what will most teams look like?

Now. I need to ask a couple stupid questions.
I'm just coming back to OU battles after not playing for... I have no idea how long.
What should I expect when coming back to OU? What threats should I be the mos t afraid of? And what will most teams look like?
I'd be afraid of pursuit. be prepared for bulky offense everywhere. oh, and volcanion is here, for what it's worth. Sand is very popular too, and CM clefable with t-wave is pretty scary too.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Speed is the best stat that can be passed imo although other quickpass isnt that much worse. That said BP is typically pretty gimmicky in general so take what you will from this.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Question, is it better to baton pass speed or an attack stat? I was thinking that you pass speed to get priority but I am not sure.
There are two main reasons to boost.

1) to become so powerful you crush through walls
2) to become so fast and powerful that you can outspeed offensive pokemon and 1 shot them (this is known as sweeping)

the second one is a lot harder, and wins games rather than just breaks down defensive cores. See if you get +4 attack you'll 1 shot anything, but chances are the enemy has a check that's faster and has a type advantage and can KO without taking any damage. With speed however, you can clean up sufficiently weakened teams, even if they have 4 or 5 mons left. So why use so many turns just to pass attack when you're really only going to KO one Pokemon. It's much better to just have use the boosting move yourself if you want to break down walls, plenty of viable Swords Dance / Nasty Plot sets exist.

Passing speed is a bit awkward though because then you'd need a speed boosting move, and baton pass, and the only point of have a speed boosting move in a set is to sweep the opponent which you can't really do with just two attacks. Which is why you'll pretty much never see a set like that, whereas passing boosted offensive stats makes a bit more sense, as you threaten to wallbreak with just two moves, then baton pass to another mon that can act as a wallbreaker. There's also the fact that passing attack to a priority user basically doubles as sweeper + wallbreaker.

I'm kind of rambling now, but I think what you should keep in mind is that they don't do the same things, passing speed pressures offensive teams and can sweep lategame, but doesn't really do anything against a bunch of walls, while passing offensive stats is much more threatening to walls, and works very well in tandem with priority users. Really the only viable speed pass is probably Scolipede, and passing offensive stats can be effective, but it's definitely a more advanced tactic because it's not worth the turns without careful planning.

Hey, new user here.

It's funny people are talking about baton pass because I'm trying to use it right now. But the combo I want to take advantage of is Iron Defense Scizor into Unaware Resttalk CM Clefable. Pulling this off for even a +2 boost can seal a game (admittedly I only play low ladder). I'm sure my teams aren't very good, but I know I need to be aware of taunt users, phazers, etc.

With that in mind, can defensive boost passing ever work? I realize it's kind of worse because you wind up at risk of crits and your mons are slow, but I really like this combo. Anyone got any thoughts on it? Even if it's not a viable strategy, what would you put around defensive passing in order to make it as effective as possible?

Hey, new user here.

It's funny people are talking about baton pass because I'm trying to use it right now. But the combo I want to take advantage of is Iron Defense Scizor into Unaware Resttalk CM Clefable. Pulling this off for even a +2 boost can seal a game (admittedly I only play low ladder). I'm sure my teams aren't very good, but I know I need to be aware of taunt users, phazers, etc.

With that in mind, can defensive boost passing ever work? I realize it's kind of worse because you wind up at risk of crits and your mons are slow, but I really like this combo. Anyone got any thoughts on it? Even if it's not a viable strategy, what would you put around defensive passing in order to make it as effective as possible?
I can see if you used something like CM + BP as a nice way to make something frail powerful and specially bulky, but overall it's not a great strategy at all.

Also that Clefable set suckkss, just use Magic Guard + CM

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Hey, new user here.

defensive boost passing was actually so incredibly overpowered it dominated the ladder and was banned. It was a strat that involved all 6 members packing counters to all the methods of beating defensive boosting that you mentioned. As of now I'd say defensive passing is useless, there's just too many counters. The only way it would work is if you chipped down the enemy team enough for all their counters to be dead, and then to sweep, but in that case why not just use a more traditional method of sweeping. Both ID + BP Scizor and Rest talk CM clefable are pretty useless if they can't finish off the enemy team, whereas a proper sweeper has a lot more flexibility.

a history lesson:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/glorious-pass.3506272/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/baton-pass-skill.3514679/
read the part about baton pass clause: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/ou/

Last edited:
Hey everyone sorry if this is a little long but I just got into competitiveish pokemon. I'm an active duty service member in the Army and where I'm stationed we have a pretty active group of guys who play pokemon pretty seriously against each other. I recently bought pokemon X and started grinding out a team to play everyone but they play locally all the time and have a unique set of rules and I really want to get involved.

But in a nutshell
- 1 on 1
-6 pokemon teams
-No Legendaries of any kind
-No duplicates
-No Mega evolutions
-Swagger is banned

I don't believe there are any banned items or abillities

also forgot to mention but this is in person played on Pokemon X so I have to actually assemble the team on my gameboy no emulators or pokemon battles!

Other than that it's everything goes. I really want to do well and hold my own so given those restrictions only what would be a starting point for the most powerful team I could build. I did a lot of research and saw good teams for the other different meta's but I feel like none of them fit the way the guys play here would love and appreciate any help or just some starting points. For starters I'm going with an swords dance/ honored sword Aegislash and hydro/icebeam/extrasensory Protean Greninja but I'm not sure what else to add from there. I've researched a bunch and have an idea where to start for OU or even Uber but this is totally different and I'm at a lost

Last edited:
But in a nutshell
- 1 on 1
- 6 pokemon teams
- No Legendaries of any kind
- No duplicates
- No Mega evolutions
- Swagger is banned
Seeing these two hurts my eyes as Articuno and Mega Banette are nowhere near broken but is disallowed yet broken mons like Greninja and Aegislash are allowed.

Therefore, I recommend you to cheese him with Baton Pass. Just replace the legendaries with something else. You can also use broken stuff like Speed Boost Blaziken so have fun with the brokenness. Oh and also, please enjoy Shadow Tag.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Hey everyone sorry if this is a little long but I just got into competitiveish pokemon. I'm an active duty service member in the Army and where I'm stationed we have a pretty active group of guys who play pokemon pretty seriously against each other. I recently bought pokemon X and started grinding out a team to play everyone but they play locally all the time and have a unique set of rules and I really want to get involved.

But in a nutshell
- 1 on 1
-6 pokemon teams
-No Legendaries of any kind
-No duplicates
-No Mega evolutions
-Swagger is banned

I don't believe there are any banned items or abillities

also forgot to mention but this is in person played on Pokemon X so I have to actually assemble the team on my gameboy no emulators or pokemon battles!

Other than that it's everything goes. I really want to do well and hold my own so given those restrictions only what would be a starting point for the most powerful team I could build. I did a lot of research and saw good teams for the other different meta's but I feel like none of them fit the way the guys play here would love and appreciate any help or just some starting points. For starters I'm going with an swords dance/ honored sword Aegislash and hydro/icebeam/extrasensory Protean Greninja but I'm not sure what else to add from there. I've researched a bunch and have an idea where to start for OU or even Uber but this is totally different and I'm at a lost

Seeing these two hurts my eyes as Articuno and Mega Banette are nowhere near broken but is disallowed yet broken mons like Greninja and Aegislash are allowed.

Therefore, I recommend you to cheese him with Baton Pass. Just replace the legendaries with something else. You can also use broken stuff like Speed Boost Blaziken so have fun with the brokenness. Oh and also, please enjoy Shadow Tag.

Don't forget that you can also cheese them with OHKO moves, although unfortunately you can't use the main abusers from battle spot formats (suicune is the most notorious). Lapras might be worth looking into as a replacement, though it doesn't get Scald.

Moody is also viable! Glalie with Leftovers and Protect, Substitute, Sheer Cold, and Frost Breath can be incredibly dangerous if it gets lucky with the right boosts.

And lastly don't forget about minimize. Chansey and Clefable are especially good users of it.

Is there a particular reason why physical wallbreakers like Diggersby, Crawdaunt, and Terrakion are now using Choice Bands more often, when in XY Choice Band was not a viable item for at least 2 of the 3?

Is there a particular reason why physical wallbreakers like Diggersby, Crawdaunt, and Terrakion are now using Choice Bands more often, when in XY Choice Band was not a viable item for at least 2 of the 3?
The metagame has become much less kind to set up users due to the speed of the metagame compared to XY. Less opportunities to set up but also more pseudo tanks like Chomp than ones with recovery makes CB considerably better.

Elo menas nothing. GXE is something you should look for. From 70 GXE you are decent, 80 is really nice.

However ladder is still joke (people with stall, probably worst playstyle are 1# ;_;) and if you want to prove yourself you should look forward tournaments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)