Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What's the difference between having low HP but high Def/Sp. Def, such as Mega Diancie and high HP but low Def, such as Snorlax?
A general rule of thumb is that when the pokemon have a relatively low hp stat (below 105) it is more optimal to invest in HP in order to have the best overall bulk and when there are cases where the Pokemon have an insane HP stat or way above the average (Chansey, Lanturn, Snorlax, Hariyama, etc) it is fine to not invest all the EVs in HP and compensate for a lower stat (like investing in defense on Lanturn and Chansey cases).

A general rule of thumb is that when the pokemon have a relatively low hp stat (below 105) it is more optimal to invest in HP in order to have the best overall bulk and when there are cases where the Pokemon have an insane HP stat or way above the average (Chansey, Lanturn, Snorlax, Hariyama, etc) it is fine to not invest all the EVs in HP and compensate for a lower stat (like investing in defense on Lanturn and Chansey cases).
Addition to that: Chansey has the extra benefit of having her def/spd boosted by Eviolite, so every point you invest there will net you more value than it would on other comparable mons

Edit:typo

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
will there be any open discussion on SUMO stuff or will it all be confined within Orange Islands? Bringing this up since movepoll changes, base stats, and practically everything else has been revealed at this point.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
How people get banned from tournaments and why?
Most banned people get banned for ghosting, I don't know any other reason. In case you don't know what ghosting means, it is helping teammates/friends during tournament matches by discussing plays with them and stuff, hope I helped

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bad sportsmanship and cheating in general are grounds for tourbanning. Bad sportsmanship doesn't just mean getting salty, but if you're a complete asshole you can be reported for it and, depending on the severity, you can get infracted or just outright tour-banned (which comes with a 3-point infraction to boot).

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
Addition to that: Chansey has the extra benefit of having her def/spd boosted by Eviolite, so every point you invest there will net you more value than it would on other comparable mons

Edit:typo
Just wanna chime in and say that this is not actually how it works. Whether you should invest in HP or defenses is not affected by whether or not the pokemon carries an eviolite.

Just wanna chime in and say that this is not actually how it works. Whether you should invest in HP or defenses is not affected by whether or not the pokemon carries an eviolite.
I didn't say carrying Eviolite makes you auto-invest in those stats, I just said every point you invest in those stats results in more NET stats due to the multiplier

how would all new SuMO mons be handled?

just wonderrring:pimp:
Things should get moving in the next few days wrt new subforums and stuff like that. At the very latest we should be all set to move fast by the release date!
General consensus right now is that over 90% of them won't even make it to OU, so... ^^
Doesn't matter, there's still going to be a lot of changes happening ._.

Things should get moving in the next few days wrt new subforums and stuff like that. At the very latest we should be all set to move fast by the release date!

Doesn't matter, there's still going to be a lot of changes happening ._.
Derp, I misunderstood him then I think. I thought he wanted to know how we should handle the new mons as THREATS x) My bad

Reactions: pj
Long time reader, first time post.
Can someone give me example how did blaziken team looked like back while he was still in OU.
Best what I have researched was he was banned in Round 3 OU suspect tests back in around 2013.
He was used in sun team alongside ninetales and i asume venusaur.
Replays or acticles of metagame back then would be appreciated.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can someone give me example how did blaziken team looked like back while he was still in OU.
Best what I have researched was he was banned in Round 3 OU suspect tests back in around 2013.
Not a direct answer to your question, but Blaziken was quickbanned alongside Deoxys-N back in OU beta (before any actual suspect tests happened) if my memory serves me, so you'd be extremely lucky if anyone had a team at all.

Blaziken was quickbanned and no real signature teams really developed around it, at least in this generation. Ruins of Alph would be a better place to ask about gen5 related things.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/ruins-of-alph.31/

What happened to Mega Altaria and Quagsire? I think that M. Altaria even was S tier or something a time ago. And Quag was OU. What happened to them?

What happened to Mega Altaria and Quagsire? I think that M. Altaria even was S tier or something a time ago. And Quag was OU. What happened to them?
The meta changed against them. The hype died down about M-alt over time, and it was eclipsed by other offensive faeries and DD mons. Quag not being OU anymore probably results from about the same thing with Dragon Dance dying down, cause that was its primary niche. It's still used heavily on stall, though.

Martin

You mean like a base stall team? What would that be like?
The currently-popular stall team is Tele's double defog stall, which doesn't feature Quagsire:
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Toxic

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Screech
- Stealth Rock

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 SpD
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 172 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog
And, before you ask, no I'm not quite sure what the purpose of Rock Tomb on Dugtrio

So... this might by kind of a weird request.

Next week, in the semifinals of a certain forums, I'm possibly facing a guy that is known for using stall

So far, I got to the semifinals using BirdSpam, and so far, I had no problems with it.
But I don't feel confident enough with my current matchup.

My question is: Does anyone have a team that does really well against Stall, but still hold up against more offensive teams?

btw, this tournament is an OU tournamente with a few added rules... for whatever reason...
Item Clause (leftovers is an exception)
Gothitelle with Shadow Tag and Rest (family line too).
Pokemon must have been born in XY/ORAS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)